A fan video game, or "fan game" for short, is technically any type of game made by fans, for fans. In the context of this article, however, it is a game that is made completely (or near-completely) from the ground up. This contrasts it with a Game Mod, which uses an existing game as its basis. Unlike an Unlicensed Game, these games are rarely sold for profit.
Fan games are prone to Troubled Productions and are oftentimes vaporware. In contrast with just modding a game, making an original title can just be too much work for fans (especially since there is no profit in it). Other times, a cease-and-desist from the content owner puts an end to the project.
Contrast with Game Mod and can overlap with Fan Sequel and Fan Remake. See also M.U.G.E.N, OpenBOR and RPG Maker, video game engines that are used to make their own fan games for Fighting Games, Beat 'em Up and RPGs respectively.
- The Room: The Game turns The Room into a 2D Top-Down Adventure-Style game.
- Terrordrome the Game: Rise of the Boogeymen is a big Intercontinuity Crossover between many of the famous monsters of movies, all made in CGI. Just like MLP: Fighting Is Magic, the game has been closed various times because of cease-and-desist clauses, but eventually was recreated in other fighting game engines like M.U.G.E.N and Fighter Maker 2000 by ripping their sprites and sounds to be remade under those engines.
- Spyro the Dragon:
- Spyro: Myths Awaken was a game based off of the original Spyro the Dragon trilogy. It was originally conceived as Spyro 4 before being renamed. Myth Awakens had a retraux style similar to the PS1 games. The game was cancelled after it received a cease-and-desist. It was turned into Zera: Myths Awaken, starring a new protagonist.
- Spyro 2 Spring Savanna is a fan interquel between the second and third games that is in development. It emulates the style of the games as well. The game creates a spring-based home world to go with the summer, autumn, and winter ones in the original Spyro 2.
- Spyro Mortas Mayhem is a fan game in development. It allows you to play various characters such as Spyro, Flame, Ember, and Cynder.
- The Mansion is a game based off of Clock Tower.
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Project AXSX refers to a long-running attempt to recreate the famous cancelled Sonic game Sonic X-treme. It is one of various attempts but is the most well-known.
- Sonic Utopia is an in-development fan game from a Sonic fan who doesn't like how Sega does 3D Sonic. It features Sonic's classic design and attempts to emulate the original games' charm with an open-world 3D twist.
- Sonic Ages is a hand-drawn sidescroller styled after the classic games.
- Sonic Studio is a Mega Drive-style game where players can build their own Sonic the Hedgehog levels. All the sprites are built from the ground-up.
- Crash Bandicoot: Crash Bandicoot Crystals Wrath is a Crash Bandicoot fan game that has been stuck in Development Hell for a while. It's been in development since 2013 but has been restarted several times. It was originally fully 3D ala Crash Twinsanity but is now 2½D like the original Crash trilogy.
- Mega Man is no slouch in the fan-game department, either. Expect to see a lot of Sailor Earth Robot Masters:
- There are several Super Mario Bros. fan games made in Adobe Flash and other game engines. Here's a full list. Prominent examples include:
- Super Mario Bros. Crossover sees several NES stars playing through recreations of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. Special, and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels,
- Super Mario Fusion was a Mario fan game with a focus on Mario and friends adventuring through the Real World, with assets from Metal Slug and Halo as a basis. Eventually, other developers began adding more content and playable characters from other games, such as Sonic, Tails, Roll, Arthur, and many more, eventually renaming the project Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. Unfortunately, a number of factors led to the project's cancellation. The original head developer went on to make Super Mario Fusion Revival with intent to revisit the initial concept.
- Mari0 is Super Mario Bros. with a Portal Gun.
- Psycho Waluigi aims to fill the demand for a starring role for everyone's favorite Advertised Extra.
- Super Smash Bros.:
- Abobo's Big Adventure gives A Day in the Limelight to the eponymous Giant Mook from Double Dragon, having him fight through a huge mashup of Nintendo Entertainment System goodness.
- Touhou has an enormous amount of fangames for a game made by a single person, ranging from simple Flash games to shoot'em ups to RPGS to actual console games.
- Pokémon: While most fan games from this franchise are ROM hacks, Pokémon Uranium took 9 years to make in RPG Maker, and it features a whole new region with 100+ new mons. Unfortunately, it was taken down to avoid copyright claims.
- Rayman has list of some fangames made by different developers.
- Story of Seasons:
- Chrono Trigger Resurrection (later renamed Chrono Resurrection) was to be a full-3D remake of Chrono Trigger, until it was C&D'd away (a few years later, Square Enix would publish the Nintendo DS port).
- Love Is Strange is a romance Visual Novel based on Life Is Strange.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- For more, see here.
- Up until its cease-and-desist. My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic was a game based on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. After the CnD, Lauren Faust joined the Mane 6 team and helped to retool the project, which eventually became known as Them's Fightin' Herds.
- Starswirl Academy was originally a romance visual novel based off of Friendship is Magic where you can date humanized versions of the Mane Six. Hasbro forced the characters to be name changed, however their designs and personalities were not, resulting in a cast full of Captain Ersatz. Even the characters initials are the same.
- Story of the Blanks is an 8-bit horror game where Apple Bloom stumbles into the Everfree Forest.
- Nick Kalmar developed a Cats Don't Dance homage game, with help from artist Shelley Pleger and sprite builder Reggie, among others. It's a simple platform jumper with an occasional hazard to throw snowballs at. It's available as freeware from the fan site  under the Fun Stuff tab.
- Eggs For Bart is a horror game based on The Simpsons and a line from Game Grumps.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Rescue Palooza is a fan game of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) that pays homage to the Licensed Games of the cartoon developed by Konami.