The Unlicensed Game, or Bootleg Game, is a specific kind of Shoddy Knockoff Product that can be considered works of their own in rare cases.
Due to the relative ease of spriteswapping on older consoles, these ran rampant in the mid 1990s. While Sturgeon's Law definitely applies, some have made names for themselves. Some can be considered an early form of Fan Sequel.
Works under this category include:
- Dian Shi Ma Li
- Donkey Kong 5: The Journey of Over Time and Space
- Era's Adventures 3D
- Felix the Cat by Dragon Co.
- Kart Fighter
- Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka Qiu Chuan Shuo (combination of Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen)
- Monino Save Story
- Pocket All-Star Smash Brothers
- Pocket Monsters Go Go Go
- Pokeball Coach Pokemon Go
- Pokémon Quartz
- Pokémon Stadium for the Genesis
- Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal
- Shi Kong Xing Shou
- Sonic 3D Blast 5
- Super Fighter
- Super Mario 3D
- Telefang (Not in itself an example, but the more well-known Pokémon Diamond and Jade are covered within that page.)