The storyline of the game revolves around the protagonist having to find a way to give several gods back their powers. There are various gods that are worshipped, such as the God of Wines and Vines and the Flower Goddess. They all were once worshipped equally, but over time villagers have stopped presenting most with offerings and are beginning to prefer only certain gods. This lead to jealousy and bickering amongst the gods. To punish them, the gods were locked within a shrine and removed of their powers. It's up to the protagonist, with the help of various sprites, to save the gods.
Harvest Moon: Meadow of Dreams contains all the crops used in (More) Friends of Mineral Town and DS (Cute), as well as a variety of rare variants. There are twenty-two marriage candidates in total and the game allows same-gender marriage.
This game provides examples of:
- Animals Hate Him: Cats aren't fond of Gerard.
- Fishing Minigame: The protagonist fishes using a minigame.
- Gay Option: The marriagable characters have specific sexualities. For example, Marie is gay, Reese is straight, and Katherine is bi.
- Long-Lost Relative: Akari and Tiesha are long-lost cousins. Akari had been sealed in a cave for a long time.
- Missing Mom: Katherine's mom died when she was young.