Ever After Academy is a Romance Game Visual Novel by Voltage Entertainment USA, released through their Lovestruck app for iOS and Android devices. It debuted as a pilot in June 2020 with two available routes, and another in July 2020.
The story takes place in seaside Whitethorn Academy in Connecticut. The male protagonist is a recent law school dropout who is returning to his hometown and reuniting with his younger sister, the female protagonist, a free-spirited young woman who loves fairy-tales.
One night, their lives are changed forever when they find a hidden door to a secret, magical library, where fairy tale characters spring to life from their books. The protagonists help their new friends craft undercover identities as fellow students of Whitethorn and fit into the new, non-magical world they've found themselves in. Together, they unravel magical mysteries while juggling school work and social events.
This game provides examples of:
- Almost Kiss: The Female MC and Nora almost have their first kiss in her route on a broomstick ride until the broom goes out of control.
- Baleful Polymorph: In Ezras route the head librarian James Tutorea is turned into a frog by a curse of his own design.
- Beta Couple: The Male MC and Lucas are this in the Female MCs initial routes having significantly less drama than the female MCs relationships.
- Bookcase Passage: The main characters find a tunnel behind a bookcase in the university library which leads them to the secret library.
- Cast Full of Gay: Almost every member of the main cast is LGBT, as well as some of the supporting characters.
- Flight of Romance: Nora takes the heroine on a nighttime flight on her broom.
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: In the Halloween special, Lucas, Nora, and Ezra all dress in the outfits they popped out of their books in.
- Hands-On Approach: In Lucas season 1, the male protagonist briefly imagines Lucas teaching him sword moves and guiding his form.
- I Never: A premium option in Ezras first season has the group play it.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot: Throughout all the routes there are flashbacks to how the siblings gave up their memories of magic and what the threat was that forced them into it. None of the routes give the full story.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The heroine decorates her room in soft pink colors with fairy lights and unicorns, while Nora is a witch of the Dark Wood who wears black.
- Mobile Maze: The old parts of the school that are underground and connected to the Magic Library move around a lot, one can control them if one asks them nicely.
- New Transfer Student: Nora, Lucas, and Ezra attend Whitethorn to fit in and more easily progress in their goals.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: Lucas and Ezra, the two male members of the fairy tale trio. Lucas is Prince Charming, and Ezra is The Big Bad Wolf.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: In Ezra's route, when the main cast discovers that James Tutorea has been turned into a frog, the female MC suggests kissing him, earning some odd looks from the others. Ezra teases her about it, both then and on a couple of future occasions.
- Portal Book: Nora, Lucas, and Ezra are characters who are transported to the protagonists' world from books of fairy-tales.
- Rule of Three: In Ezras route, Mouse explicitly states there is magic in the number three, which is why she and her sisters were so formidable together.
- Secret Room: The magic library that holds the books that Nora, Lucas, and Ezra come from and that the main characters stumble upon is hidden behind a secret passage.
- Sentient Stars:
- According to Nora, the stars back in her world wander around the sky of their own volition, and people reach out to them for guidance.
- The main characters are eventually revealed to be descended from two stars that fell in love.
- Thin Dimensional Barrier: Its eventually revealed that Whitethorn was built to act as a bridge between the two worlds with the triad of the guardian, lightkeeper and pathfinder acting as the protectors..
- Trapped in Another World: The fairy tale characters become trapped in the world of the protagonists after they come through their books.
- The World Is Just Awesome: Nora expresses awe at the complexity of the world.
- Your Magic's No Good Here: The player characters' world has low levels of magic outside of some small pockets, rendering magical abilities weak or nonfunctional. Nora's magic is weak, and for Lucas and Ezra, who respectively have a sword that lets him strike true and claws that allow him to blend in shadow, their weapons' enchantments fail to work.