Verse 1: Purity and Sin
- "Knowing the truth of the "World" is the hardest part of living in it, knowing what everyone else in the world is blind to, watching lives fall apart, with the inability to say a damn word... it's a wonder I haven't gone insane like all of you."
The main protagonist of Control Sequence, he is an artificial being of some sort who was created for an unknown purpose and holds a world-changing, destructive power over the Azure he accesses with a unique design of "BlazBlue", making him a target for capture by the governments of the world.
- Aloof Big Brother: Non-blood related variation, towards Siegfried.
- Apocalypse Beast: Nex is sought for his power to change this world and not exactly in a good way. Some don't want him to do it, but instead want to be the one to pull that trigger and direct that force.
- Arch-Enemy: Akuhei. Everyone else doesn't seem to deserve the level of hatred Nex has towards Akuhei.
- It's Personal: Given the fact Akuhei is responsible for a lot of his woes both past and present, it's clear as day these two have personal issues with one another and Nex typically will fight him on sight even when told not to.
- Artifact of Death/Artifact of Doom: The unknown design of an Azure Grimoire which is laced into his body, and its influence corrupts Nex further.
- Deadly Upgrade: Nex when releasing his Grimoire is insanely powerful, but it has a nasty little effect of making Nex consume everything for more power and has an overwhelming desire of its own. It's also been mentioned it can give him a Fate Worse than Death if he isn't mindful.
- Hearing Voices: The Grimoire's implied insane desires and will when he unleashes the Azure or is near the Boundary. It seems to communicate to him through the Boundary and the Grimoire's connection, and only Nex can hear it. It's at very least malevolent as it is always seeking to destroy and devour and holds the ability to release the Grimoire's destructive power when Nex and it are in synchronization by Nex's anger or hate- as seen at the end of Verse 1.
- Anti Anti Christ: Zigzagged. He is the Destroyer, and accepts his role to a point. But, he won't let anything else destroy the world except him and he isn't even that invested in it evidently, as he opposes direct forces who want to, such as Zaezel. He also pretty much tells anyone who tells him it's his fate to destroy mankind or the world to screw off and he'll do what he chooses.
- Artificial Human: Although he doesn't know what he is— He's at grips with this fact, and its stated in the beginning of the plot. You can also tell easily due to what appears to be Seithr corrosion on his shoulders which is actually a part of the Grimoire materializing a portion of the Azure's power on a physical body.
- Bad Dreams: Nex is known to suffer from vivid nightmares where he's struggling and unable to help Yura. They torment him to the point when he wakes up, he will have to grip his locket to calm his mind.
- Badass Longcoat: His sleeveless black coat he wears runs down to his calves and is ripped with crimson pinstripe veins throughout its surface, and red lining inside. Definitely a dark hero look.
- Bash Brothers: Him and Sylar, with both of them sporting a very high rate to generate seithr and utilize it in a destructive manner ranging from wicked storms to azure manifested beasts— you don't want to get caught in between those two.
- Berserk Button: Akuhei. The one responsible for most of his woes, Nex cannot keep a level head around him half the time if the man's words get to his head.
- BFS: Wields a blade named Necros Highlander, which is very similar to Ragna's Blood-Scythe.
- Black Magic: His Azure Grimoire is treated as a purely evil source that just acts to corrupt.
- Captive Audience: In Verse 2 it was revealed that Nex watched Yura's demise happen right in front of him.
- Casting a Shadow: Much like Ragna, Nex utilizes darkness in battle.
- Combat Pragmatist: When Nex encounters an enemy he can't defeat with ease, he can resort to underhanded tactics in order to win or to escape.
- The Comically Serious: Sometimes Nex doesn't know how to react to mundane situations, so he takes everything seriously.
- Cosmic Plaything: His entire life.
- Dark Is Ambiguously Evil/Villain Protagonist: Nex isn't a good guy, as he is borderline evil, but he is the one who can decide the fate of his world.
- Dark Messiah: Unwillingly Heroic type in the eyes of some in LS. Such characters regard him as a Savior and the one that will bring the change to the devastated world and free it of the NOS' designs and desires. However, while Nex himself does want to change the world he doesn't see himself as a Savior of anything and doesn't wish to be a part of it as it entails doing much against his own will.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments.
- Expy: Of Ragna the Bloodedge, minus most of Ragna's redeeming qualities.
- Darker and Edgier: Has thrown away his humanity, consumed the souls of many by the Grimoire— and isn't even fazed to leave ruin in his wake.
- The Dreaded: When you are considered by the world to be its primary enemy, and its top criminal, anyone sane would refuse to mess with you.
- Enemy Within: The Grimoire's will, which seeks to strengthen Nex at the cost of him sacrificing his humanity and becoming a heartless monster focused only on destruction.
- FaceHeel Turn: He was actually on the fence about his road for quite awhile as a child and young adult, but after dealing with so much hell at every turn by enemies far stronger than him— he eventually was forced, brutally, to learn that there was no room for naivety in his life and in the end made his choice to walk the road as the Destroyer.
- Start of Darkness: In Rebellion Sequence, by a case said to be beyond his control, he contacted the destructive powers inside his body through a 'strange gate' and unleashed a devilish power over the Azure in hopes to stop what was going on— instead he watched everything he began to regain be destroyed, and after he'd already lost those dear to him once before. Imyo managed to deprogram it from him when he saves him later on, and over time he seemed to change, however, he obviously has been forever scarred by these past experiences, gaining a outlook of hate toward the world and is willing to destroy everything.
- Hates Being Touched: Whether you're an ally or an enemy, don't EVER touch this guy, or his locket.
- Justified as his Grimoire makes him sensitive to soul energy, so he'll feel the negative forces of it and his reaction is to want to get away. Although some people can actually get around this, such as Myri.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Because Humans Are Bastards.
- Healing Factor: Nex's body naturally heals itself, and he can take a beating beyond most.
- Heroic Spirit: Nex while not the hero type will not give in to anyone— despite his body and mind being tortured at a constant.
- Heroic Resolve: Pre-Control Sequence, in his Rebellion Sequence saga he displays this where he would never rely on the Grimoire's power and continue fighting even if he stood no chance. Its Zigzagged since the time of Control Sequence, however, he is much more prone to dip into his powers due to his hate.
- Horror Hunger: Nex needs to devour strong sources of energy (such as souls) in order to continue fighting and using his own power. It makes him stronger and keeps his soul's strength growing by making that power his own. If he doesn't, it tends to have some unpleasant side effects.
- Phlebotinum Muncher: The Azure Grimoire on him desires Boundary Fragments/Shards and Seithr Cores that contain refined and altered soul energy and destructive power. They're fed to him not to keep him alive, rather they affect him mentally, as well as physically and become part of him.
- Human Weapon: Because he was artificially born and has a collar around his neck that says the name 'Nex Azure 0' he's treated as a desirable experimental design or weapon of the Azure. Nex is less treated as human and more treated as a tool to the desired ends of those who wish to make their own uses of his power.
- Person of Mass Destruction: His Azure Grimoire and the power of his soul makes him this. Not only can he devour an endless amount of souls and turn that energy into his own power but he creates seithr into energy that destroys life itself, and is referred to as the Destroyer who will end the current world.
- Jerkass: Nex is ruthless, rude, sociopathic and kind of a dick...
- Hidden Heart of Gold: ... but sometimes he can help you.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Literally envelops his kicks and punches based on Taekwondo in Seithr and dark azure energy.
- Made of Iron: Nex is definitely sturdily built. He can be stabbed multiple times and shot by a firing squad, but he can get up after that with no serious injuries that won't heal in five seconds.
- Mark of the Beast: His skin is fused with Seithr so it looks metallic black where his Grimoire is visible. The crimson energy veins that pulse through his body glow and spread over him the stronger he becomes and some also look like ancient patterns.
- He will go into a partial transformation if he releases the Grimoire.
- Meaningful Name: Nex means "Violent Slaughter" in Latin, and he can grant his enemies a Cruel and Unusual Death.
- Mystical White Hair/White Hair, Black Heart
- Never Be Hurt Again: Nex has said time and time again he refuses to lose to the world, after losing so much in the past.
- Safety in Indifference: Nex very rarely lets any kind of feelings show through, although he is mostly void of anything aside hate by the time of Control Sequence, so he doesn't have much of any feeling left to him in reality. He absolutely refuses to get close to anyone.
- Hope Is Scary: Although he understands the importance of it in others to keep them going— He will never let himself openly show that he cares about anything. Though this is false, he cares about Siegfried's well-being. He also in fact has a hope that keeps him going, he just doesn't share it with anyone in the fear of it being taken from him.
- Not Afraid to Die: Nex doesn't fear death as he knows it simply doesn't matter. The "World" doesn't let him die eternally, making death the least of his fears.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Nex's motives don't boil to a single thing nor does he have any interest in stopping the war between the NOS or LS, or even stopping those who wish to destroy the world like himself— he's in it for a much more personal reason.
- Only Sane Man: Sometimes Nex considers himself this.
- Phrase Catcher: Many variations of "Dammit, Nex".
- Play-Along Prisoner: He's sought out by the "World", but if someone has Nex captive— he's not going to stay caught for long.
- Badass in Distress: While one of the most powerful in the cast—Nex is known to get into a lot of trouble with some of the most insane antagonists who manage to push him into rare submission, actually do catch him, or he comes close to dealing with a Fate Worse than Death. He needs help from the cast every now and again.
- Defiant Captive: Whoever has him is probably going to be in for a rough time, as one of the most dangerous characters in-story, it isn't easy to keep him in submission.
- Power Gives You Wings: Generates crimson energy wings from the seithr during certain times, though it does cost him energy to keep them out.
- The Power of Hate: Nex defines hate, undiscriminating hatred toward everything—not by his choosing entirely, but it is a part of his existence.
- The Promise: Nex has several of them burdened upon his soul, such as returning to rescue Yura from the Sequence and get back her soul.
- Rage Breaking Point: He can hold back his anger, quite a bit surprisingly and is rarely ever bothered by petty insults or even deeper ones that would set most characters into this territory. However when he can't hold it in anymore he becomes someone no one wishes to be around and plunges his mind into a state of pure, cold, hate.
- Rebellious Spirit: Ever since his childhood he's been defiant to any and all, its a clear presented theme in his character.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Nex's standard color scheme.
- Red Baron: He is known as "The Beast of Sin".
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Nex's eyes are a strange combination of red with blue centers. They go completely red when all that hatred or anger is becoming just a bit hard to hold back, threatening to push him to levels of Unstoppable Rage.
- Roaring Rampage of Rescue: Regarding keeping a promise to return to Yura, the owner of the locket. She was seemingly taken by the NOS's strange and unknown unit, following her demise he witnessed at their hands. Nex won't let anything get in his way of that goal.
- Sibling Rivalry: While they are not blood siblings, Nex and Siegfried fit this trope to a T with their constant bickering and hair-trigger tempers when near each other. Nex is at first disapproving of Siegfried and his choices to side with the NOS- though ever since the time of Verse 2 he seems to have become apathetic and let him do as he chose. It doesn't change that Nex still genuinely cares for the part of him that he shared peaceful years with alongside Imyo and even admits he felt he had been put in an older-brother role to him.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Nex doesn't exactly have a clean mouth.
- Slave Collar: A black metallic collar around his throat which has a front plate that has his identity carved into it along with a symbol. It doesn't come off and represents Nex's original fate was to be in the control of someone else.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: His longcoat and shirt are sleeveless, exposing the Grimoire on his arms. Nex doesn't really care who sees it, so he doesn't bother with sleeves.
- Sociopathic Hero: Nex clearly isn't a saint and doesn't pretend to be one, he does a lot of really questionable acts.
- Stoic Woobie: Nex has had and has a LOT of bad stuff happen to him, and he won't even complain about it. It doesn't help him that he knows the "Truth" everyone else is trying to find, and can't say a word.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: When tapping into the Grimoire, Nex's identity and personality become entirely different in order to control the power of it.
- Most notably will he threaten people he previously cared about, such as Siegfried and even Myri during the end of Verse 1. He's colder, ruthless and won't hesitate to do anything to get more power to achieve his desire. This is a threat to him, as every time it happens it becomes harder to revert his mind from this state.
- Teach Him Anger: Nex has anger, a ton of it. It's given him the power to stand to pretty much anything, but he shows shades of negative and positive sides of anger. His power reacts to his emotions as well, and when he's upset... leave.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Anytime he has to work with Siegfried.
- Tragic Flaw: His die-hard devotion and care mixed with his hatred make for a self-destructive combination at times. He cares only for self-preservation of his state of mind, and this causes Nex to make strange choices and go through any suffering to stay as himself. He'll always put himself through more agony instead of making the bad choice and just doing what "should" be done when it involves protecting something he deeply cares for. However, it's almost impossible for the man to avoid pain.
- He devours the lives of so many to keep Siegfried alive and it unleashes the Azure Grimoire in the process that he was keeping dormant to keep himself sane. But when it came between it or Siegfried - he chose Siegfried who still is against him as a foe anyway, as he refused to give up on him.
- The man also is completely oblivious to when people just want to help him. He doesn't want anything to do with anyone and this often makes enemies out of people that could be his allies or leads to misunderstandings.
- Tragic Keep Sake: His Azure Locket, which was given to him by a girl who he cared for deeply in his childhood, and couldn't protect. Evidently before losing them, he made a promise to return to her. She gave him this locket before her alluded demise, and is the main reason he fights.
- Cradle of Loneliness: He will sometimes cradle the locket in his hand tightly, it reminds him of Yura, and will calm him.
- Memento MacGuffin: The locket is said to be more then a simple keepsake, and is played to be important in the story. It contains an extremely bright and beautiful energy of unknown purpose that Nex likes and it protects him somehow. The locket actually can't be removed by anyone except Nex himself.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He used to be a nice kid until losing so much caused him to believe he had to change to survive.
- The Unfettered: The experiences in his life have made Nex numb his mind, and not a lot will move him.
- Walking Wasteland: With his Grimoire active, Nex can kill weak beings in his vicinity by simply being around them due to it draining their life force and other energies.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Siegfried.
- Nex and Siegfried are childhood friends, both raised by Imyo. The two were near brothers at a point, but the night Nex left them on Imyo's orders, a wedge came between them and Nex wouldn't know if his friend was alive for years to come. Their friendship is utterly destroyed in the course of the first verse when Siegfried is revealed to be alive and joined the government for reasons of his own. Nex tries to get him to leave, in a rare act of protection— but this only pushes more friction between them. Nex genuinely cares about him willing to release his grimoire after he said he wouldn't do so at any costs—just to try and keep him alive and in process beat the living tar out of Zaezel for trying to kill him. Even so, Siegfried still remained on the opposite side of Nex.
- In Verse 2 it's further explained that Nex essentially had to force himself to believe that Siegfried was dead in order to live with the idea that he abandoned him and didn't try to help him when Imyo died. This is something Siegfried holds against Nex.
- Weirdness Magnet: Nex gets into some really odd situations, due to his attachment to the True Azure's power. As a kid he ran into beings of Seithr the government never even acknowledged the existence of. He also deals with people who the world doesn't know are around... Or even people who want —as in seductive want or outright lust— him like Valetha and Akari's separate form. It's commonly said by him, or others, that he's a 'Magnet for the crazies'.
- Magnetic Plot Device: His Azure Grimoire and his true power over the Azure called the Azure of Destruction, everyone comes after him for it. He controls its destructive power as his own, which was believed impossible. Although he sometimes has to succumb to it and kill others to devour their soul energy into his own if he wants to access his potential power and keep his free will; which is something he doesn't care for.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Much to his disdain, Nex's Azure Grimoire and his perfected and enhanced version of Soul Eater— the Soul Harvester allows him to remove, destroy, and consume the souls of others converting it into his own power.
- "I can change the world? I never once said I was fighting to change this world, all I want is my answers. I fight for answers about the past I dont care about changing the way this world is here and now. Ill leave that to others that actually care about that crap like the Azure Prodigy and Nex. No matter what I say Nex treats me like a kid anyway, so why should I care?"
Siegfried is the rival character in the Control Sequence Saga and a member of the NOS holding the rank of Brigadier. And is also very anti-social and prefers solitude to company of others. Though he dislikes being given orders, he however does respect the chain of command.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: He lacks alot of allies in the story, and defines arrogance. He typically will work alone unless forced as well.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Nex considers him one.
- Anti-Villain: He's not exactly the greatest guy, but he's better in comparison to villains like Akuhei. He doesn't have any malicious intent, although he doesn't care what happens either and he is by no means a "hero".
- Asskicking Equals Authority: He damn well worked his way up to "authority" status.
- Berserk Button: Being called weak, or when around Nex.
- Cynicism Catalyst: He actually began as a decent individual but at the time of Imyo's death, and Nex leaving them shortly before it, it shifted him tremendously. Siegfried watched Imyo perish and along with it his entire life crumbled before him, unsure of what to do anymore, he fell into a state of depression later coming out as a pent up rage that the NOS refined when he joined them. Akuhei later reveals the boy was crushed mentally by it and they'd been manipulating that from the very start.
- Death Seeker: Averted. Though some of his actions can be seemed as suicidal, he has no intention to die until he has his answers.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Siegfried hates being treated like a kid or receiving any kind of sympathy.
- Expy: Of Siegfried Schtauffen (name-wise), Ike (appearance-wise).
- Hate Sink: In-universe. Almost everyone hates his guts, even Akuhei, and that's an achievement.
- Hot-Blooded: This causes him trouble.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Has his share of troubles, and he can be quite bossy around those who are lower in rank, particularly Reiga.
- Jerkass: Arrogant, self-centered and confrontational, Siegfried is one of the biggest jerks in the cast.
- Jerkass Woobie: When you consider all the crap that happened to him, his attitude can be kinda understandable.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When its learned from Akuhei that Siegfried's hatred of Nex is partly from him Assuming he was dead, and not even attempting to even look for him after he went into the NOS. All of it was done in an act to protect himself, rather then Siegfried who he claimed to care for. This makes what Siegfried says suddenly seem to be more then all directionless blame.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: So he claims. But he doesn't let anyone understand him.
- Playing with Fire: His main ability is to control flames.
- Technicolor Fire: His flames are azure-colored.
- Red Baron: Is known as "The Hero of Blue Flames".
- The Rival: To Nex as the rival of the series.
- Rival Turned Ambiguously Evil: He has a few questionable moments of his own over his power, but he doesn't seem to have any ill intents.
- Sibling Rivalry: While they are not blood siblings, Nex and Siegfried fit this trope to a T with their constant bickering, and hair-trigger tempers near one another. Siegfried is the hot-blooded and ready for a fight anytime when near him, and almost always blames Nex for everything.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Has his moments.
- Smug Super: Extremely.
- The Stoic: Fashions himself as one...
- Not So Stoic: ...but he is not.
- Too Dumb to Live: He almost blew himself and Nex up in episode 18.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Doesn't matter who it is— unless its a superior.
- Trademark Favorite Drink: Sieg sure loves his coffee.
- The Unfettered
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Much less of a dick and more of a naive sweet child.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is blue, though its from an unknown contact with the Azure.
- "I dont want to hurt anyone, violence only begets more violence thats why I hope this conflict can come to an end soon. We might not be able to ever fix this world but to me there are still things in it worth saving and I wish I could have the power to help prove that this world should have a chance."
Myri is a girl who makes a living in Kagutsuchi, being looked after by a man named Lazarith. She's earned their watch having a unique affinity for an unidentified type of divine magic. She's a central heroine of Control Sequence as she ends up becoming an unwilling traveling partner to Nex when he forces her to leave for her own safety.
- Actual Pacifist: Myri loathes any kind of violence.
- Barrier Maiden
- Heavenly Blue: Myri's magic based energy manifests as this.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Many consider her a pure soul, such as those who protect her like Nex and Lazarith and don't want her to lose this. To the point Nex protects her from the sin of the world she lives in.
- Occult Blue Eyes: Partly, is shared with a golden color.
- Living MacGuffin: Myris power is explained to have been connective to stopping Nex, though she doesnt know how to properly access it.
- The Load: Considers herself one due to not having any combat abilities.
- Morality Chain: The latest one of Nex's. Myri clearly has a calming effect on Nex, being able to quell his Azure Grimoire's rage. This makes her a common target by enemies to try and get to Nex.
- Mystical Waif
- The Pollyanna: Nothing can make her think that the world she lives in is beyond saving.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Myri's hair is a shade of azure blue.
- White Magic: Her energy is pure and doesn't draw from a corrupted source.
Legna Alucard is a recurring character in Control Sequence, she is a descendant of Rachel Alucard and one of the few remaining individuals capable of Observation.
When Rachel went into sudden seclusion after the NOS influences and power increased during the Third War of Armagus, Legna appeared in her place to help humanity return the world to a free state from order and control. She sees it her responsibility to watch over Nexs progress and guide him much how Rachel did for Ragna.
- All-Powerful Bystander: The Observers are forbidden to directly interfere with the events transpiring in the world.
- Cultured Badass
- Curtains Match the Window: Her gold eyes really compliment her blond hair.
- Deadpan Snarker: Due to her inability to directly interfere with the flow of events, she compensates by using veiled insults to fight.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She seems to have inherited Rachel's fashion sense.
- Expy: Of Rachel.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampires: Legna doesn't seems to exhibit any kind of malice towards humanity, although she does get annoyed with them.
- Mysterious Employer: As the one who helped motivate Nex and guide him to Myri, and then convince her to go with Nex - Legna clearly has a way with words and a talent for influencing others like pieces on a gameboard but it isn't done in a malefic way as she has mentioned she's on the side of humanity.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Legna has these, unlike Rachel's red eyes.
- "Say what you like about me, but dont you dare insult or try to use Akari! Anyone who has the nerve to harm my friends and belittle them isnt deserving of respect at all Sir. I didnt join the NOS to be someone elses pawn in this game, push me far enough and I WILL fight. Through hell through despair, through chains of fate Ill use my own power to prove that youre all wrong in the end!"
Reiga is a young man who is a lieutenant in the NOS and son of a Colonel Yyntal Sorairo. He's known for his unique affinity with Azure and its chaotic property, while acting as a direct counter to some of its other properties. How or why is unknown. He is partnered with a girl named Akari, who is an incomplete Azure Interface Prime-field. Called the "Prodigy" for his astounding potential, he can channel Azure energy through anything including his own weapon without the need of a BlazBlue.
- Amplifier Artifact: He amplifies his own Azure's energy somehow through himself, no BlazBlue needed— and in turn it increases his abilities.
- Bash Brothers: With Kiryos.
- Big Brother Instinct: With Akari, Reiga sees her as a younger sister and has sworn to protect her and stay by her side.
- Being Good Sucks: As one of the few morally good characters, Reiga has it pretty hard to maintain his ideals in a world like his.
- The Cape: In contrast to Kiryos' cowl.
- Childhood Friends: With Kiryos.
- The Chosen One: He is the Azure Prodigy, the one that will supposedly lead humanity to its golden age.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Being a plaything in the NOS's hands is something that deeply depresses Reiga.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two Cool Swords.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Reiga's eyes are a deep azure blue.
- Power of Trust: With Akari, even if certain characters like Nex believe she's a large threat. In general, Reiga is also a very trusting character and willing to give people the benefit of the doubt due to his naive nature.
- The McCoy: To Kiryos's The Spock.
- Missing Mom: Reiga's mother died of Seithr poisoning when he was young.
- Nice Guy: Friendly, laid-back and kind. Almost to a fault.
- Oblivious to Love: It's not like Reiga doesn't know the feeling itself, it's just he doesn't seems to notice that Akari has feelings for him, but he prefers to see her as a little sister.
- The Paladin/The Paragon: Is shaped to be one as the Azure Prodigy.
- Reluctant Warrior: Reiga doesn't really want to fight, in fact he wasn't even meant to. But he is forced to due to his position.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Having the Azure automatically makes someone impressive, an when he's using it he's quite skilled to the point he can handle some of the stronger characters, like Valetha or fighting Zaezel and wounding him. But not only does he not know how to harness that skill... he is completely naive to the point it harms him or even his allies.
- When trying to defend Akari from Akuhei early in Verse 1, he got put in his place hard. He is too rash for his own good and rebels against the WRONG people when he doesn't quite have the strength to back him.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Tries to impress his father and his friends far too often and sets the bar too high for himself.
- White Magic: Reiga's artificial Power of Azure is channeling a positive force somehow, and is seen to be able to fend off beings like Zaezel, and even surprises Nex when it counters his own energy.
- The Wide-Eyed Idealist: In contrast to Kiryos' The Cynic. Reiga is a complete idealist who believes in the government and its efforts to protect the world. Over time his view slowly shifts as he gets a dose of reality when meeting people like Nex and learns to see the darker sides to the world.
- His naivety hurts him in more then any cases, and Siegfried and his own friend Kiryos has made mention to that as well. Even so he keeps his own ideals alive in a world that tries to kill them- But finding a balance proves difficult for him and puts him into conflict constantly.
Reigas partner Azure Interface Primefield, she's very curious about the world and follows Reiga everywhere he goes. She wishes to learn more of the world but Reiga keeps her sheltered, until they enter the grounds of battle when they're deployed. She is an "Unstable" unit however, and incomplete, but her combat abilities are impressive. She is supervised by the Marshal himself.
- Artificial Human: Much like the Primefield before them, the AI Ps were designed to explore the Boundary, and several hundred were designed, but only a small handful reached their goal and went beyond the Gates. Upon reaching it they'd obtain incredible power capturing it into an unknown source—this power would either kill them or they'd survive and harness it. Those that did survive became one of the currently known designs of AIP.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: For Reiga. Akari certainly has some feelings towards Reiga, but she tries to hide them so that she won't ruin his relationship with Mysteria with jealousy.
- The Load: Is rarely able to fight during combat, relying on Reiga to protect her.
- Averted when she switches to a different form and gains combat abilities that allow her to stand her ground against Nex.
- Reluctant Warrior: Much like Reiga, she loathes any kind of violence, but she is forced to perform acts of violence in self-defense.
- Robo Speak: During her combat mode Akari speaks like a robot while not being excited by facing Nex.
- Shaping Your Attacks: She shapes Azure energy into different energy blades she launches at her opponents.
- Split Personality: Upon encountering Nex Akari switches to a robotic and ruthless personality, since Nex's hatred triggered something in her mind.
- Younger Than They Look: Akari's physical appearance is around 17-18 years old, but she acts like a much younger person. Justified, since Akari is in her developmental cycle and lacks most of her memories.
- "Taking someones life is akin to losing a part of yourself. A very unpleasant experience, but later you start getting used to it. Killing doesnt seem to be as horrible as you thought before, but that means that youve lost much of your conscience and innocence. Pleasure or guilt I feel none of that when I sever the connection between a body and a soul I feel only sorrow. Sorrow that will never end, because your hands have been stained with blood, and you will never be pure again."
Kiryos is an Assassin from a different district being employed by the NOS to deal with criminals or threats. Though he comes off as cold and uncaring to most, he is willing to listen to others. He's the best friend of Reiga, as their families are friends of each other. One who is spared by Nex and deployed to kill another in the cast.
- The Ace: Handsome, smart, atlethic. He's got everything a young man can dream of.
- Broken Ace: Due to tortures he had to endure, his social skills are somewhat underdeveloped, and he has suicidal tendencies.
- Animal Motifs: Wolves.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears a jet-black leather one with a hood and adorned with black fur.
- Majorly Awesome: Holds a rank of Major in the NOS.
- Bash Brothers: With Reiga.
- Berserk Button: Insulting his mother.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Though Kiryos doesn't react too much to being taunted or made fun of, when his buttons get pushed, you better prepare a coffin for yourself.
- Blue Blood: His family is one of the noble ones, so he enjoys the benefits of being a nobleman.
- Childhood Friends: With Reiga.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Every Assassin needs to undergo one in order to resist physical and mental pain.
- The Cowl: In contrast to Reiga's cape.
- The Cynic: Cynical worldview is almost a requirement in this world.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost every word that comes out of his mouth is laced with sarcasm.
- Stepford Snarker: Sarcasm seems to be his way of dealing with his mental traumas.
- Death Seeker: Kiroys has some disturbing suicidal tendencies, so he doesn't really care what kills him: his foes or himself.
- Disappeared Dad: Kiryos' father died from an illness when his son was very young, so he doesn't remember much of him.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two blades.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: It gets ocassionally commented on.
- Flash Step: He can move at such high velocity anyone without a keen eyesight would think he is teleporting.
- An Ice Person: Can manipulate ice due to his innate power.
- Cryonics Failure: Can freeze his opponent to death by lowering their body temperature to the extreme.
- Kill It with Ice: Uses cryokinesis to kill his marks.
- Literally Shattered Lives: It leaves much less blood than slitting someone's throat.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Kiryos can create objects from ice by flash-freezing the moisture in the air. But to create an object correctly, he has to memorize the original object's shape and capabilities or create a model of the object in question in his mind, making this also an Imagination-Based Superpower.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Represent his powers.
- Knight in Sour Armour: While he tries to be cold and calculating, he still has bits of idealism in him.
- Magic Knight/Kung-Fu Wizard: Uses his cryokinesis in conjuction with his martial arts and sword skills.
- The Mean Brit: Kiryos was raised as a Brit, but he is not as mean as he wants everyone to think he is.
- Pretty Boy: So much, it hurts.
- Professional Killer: His occupation at the beginning of the series.
- The Spock: To Reiga's The McCoy.
- The Stoic
- Strong Family Resemblance: Kiryos looks like a slightly taller male version of his mother.
- Weak, but Skilled: Kiryos can't pack much of a punch, especially when he fights powerhouses like Nex, but he relies mostly on his skills and magical prowess to win his battles. Deadly Dodging, Death of a Thousand Cuts and so on, these are his favored tactics, and they work most of the time.
- You Gotta Have Indigo Hair
The cruel General of the NOS, whose predecessor was one of the Genesis Destroyers: Akuhei Yamaorochi. He's Nexs Arch-enemy responsible for many of his woes both present and past, and whose actions and intentions are completely unknown as a member of the SIA and Sequence Destroyers. Watching over progress of others, particularly Mysteria and Siegfried. Akuhei is feared by both friend and foe alike, and only will work with Lukain or Fasado otherwise he tends to do completely as he pleases.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes, just like his canon counterpart, Its easy to tell by his eyes, his attire, and even his tongue. All of his moves also revolves around serpentine shadows or manifestations. Leviathan, his weapon of choice is also a serpentine chain.
- Arch-Enemy: With Nex.
- Ass Kicking Equals Authority: He didn't skate into the position of General, he's been the bane of the main rebellion force taking the "honor" of erasing many of their integral members and bringing ruin to their operations.
- Ax-Crazy: Psychotic to the core, the guy erases peoples existence by consuming them with his weapon and smiles about it. Or in other ways he'll torment them much like his canon counterpart himself. All of it he does with that blood curdling grin.
- Badass Longcoat: Jet black uniform about as long as Nex's coat on ends if not slightly more— adorned with a singular serpentine emerald silverleaf design on the front and slightly on the back, metallic scales on various places in subtle touch and the collar which flares out to imitate a cobra's hood; gives him an intimidating presence.
- Bad Boss: He may be willing to work with others but make no mistake its only to fulfill his own goals in the end...and if you get on his bad side, suggest you run, quickly. He treats his subordinates who are lower then him like dirt and uses their lives for personal entertainment and manipulative purposes. Ah and also if you're a mook you just might find yourself consumed by his weapon if he's not happy he's done it before—You don't want to be under him.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Evil power for an evil guy...said to have even darker power then Nex. That's saying something.
- Break Them by Talking - Another one of his traits, he talks and people shut up. He exposes truth, though is likely to have Blatant Lies thrown in there as well but his victim cant deny it in the moment.
- Nex deals with this constantly, mostly because Akuhei can get into his head with so much ease its scary because even Nex does not know why or how he can open these psychological doorways.
- Card-Carrying Villain: A drop dead serious version, Akuhei makes people fear him the instant he appears. And the man makes no bones about what an awful, sickening piece of work he is. In fact, he'll tell you himself. He LOVES making people miserable.
- The Corrupter: He's always talking about the evils of the mind, and the ugly truths—trying to bring that out in certain people. Heck to Siegfried he dropped the comment after he used Nex's energy to restore his own and gain a power boost, that if he hadn't used the power he would of died and subtly asks "Didn't it feel good"?
- Cold-Blooded Torture: This psycho absolutely LOVES to inflict Torture. And he will Prolong it every time.
- Combat Sadomasochist: He loves causing pain and he pretty much turns his victim into a toy. He will miss the vitals and continue striking, and his chain/blade is the perfect instrument for it— he prolongs torment on several characters squeezing life out of them/impaling them/stomping them and do it all with a sick grin and drop comments on how it fills him with ecstasy... he'll make death quick—quick for him to enjoy that is.
- Consummate Liar: While he does in fact know the truth of this world and its secrets like Nex does, he uses that advantage to completely break people and is clearly throwing in lies.
- Dark Is Evil: And completely psychotic.
- The Dreaded: Akuhei's reputation as a unrepentant psychopath precedes him by a mile.
- Emotion Eater: Feeds on other soul's misery, despair, so much that he comments on it often.
- Expy: Of Hazama/Yuki Terumi. In so many ways in fact it's a little eyebrow-raising to some of the characters that happen to remember the guy.
- Evil Is Hammy: During bouts of his psychotic glee he will often display this.
- Evil Feels Good: See his quote.
- Evil Laugh: No villain in the BlazBlue universe is complete without this component.
- For the Evulz: Many of his actions he does merely to be an enormous bastard.
- Four-Star Badass: He holds the rank of General in the NOS.
- Hate Sink: He is such a douchebag that it's no surprise almost everyone hates him, even his own subordinates. Only Lukain, Fasado and a couple of others dare to work with him.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Akuhei doesn't even attempt to hide his utter disgust for everyone around him its just coated so deeply in psychotic glee that its difficult to really tell, up until he utterly destroys you. He'll do it to any— even around those who are valuable to his superiors.Akuhei: (To Reiga) Step out of line again with me, and your father's scolding will be the least of your worries. I'll be more then happy to wrench what makes you so special out along with everything else in that pile of incompetence, flesh and bone. And between you and me... killing and consuming you sounds pleasurable as fuck.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: It's pretty much impossible to tell what this guy really "wants" or what he's truly working toward, as he's a methodical villain. Sometimes his small goals are let out but good luck getting him to spill the bigger picture to you in anything else but a Cryptic Conversation.
- You know he's a General of the Secret Police, that he disdains the government he works for (with some exceptions), yet still does what they ask— and that he wants to crush the main character's spirit.
- Hero Killer: He's confirmed to have killed Heilo Vashtor.
- Hope Crusher: Ooh man, this is Akuhei's favorite pastime. When he's not tearing some unfortunate schmucks up or wreaking good ol' havoc, he messes with heroes, trying to make their hope crumble to dust. Beware, idealistic types, because Akuhei will make you suffer.
- Jerkass: Oh my god. Akuhei has evolved beyond mere jerkassery and gone straight into the "assholish douchebag" territory.
- Killing Intent: Akuhei is always ready to kill with that demented grin— just being near the man sends a terrible chill up the spine and can paralyze the bravest soul with fear.
- Lack of Empathy: He's pretty much incapable of empathy to any degree, and he wouldn't have it any other way.
- Legacy Character: To Yamaorochi, as the wielder of Leviathan.
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: Yeah...Akuhei: Aaah... haaahahaa! Let off another one of those desperate screams - its so... deliciously divine!
- Manipulative Bastard - Freaking god—He does this way too many times to count
he LIVES to manipulate peoples emotions, but quite honestly he doesnt even need to do any work himself. And if he does it just gets even worse for the good guys.
- In Verse 1: Purity and Sin, Akuhei clearly wanted Nex to use his power for some reason, which even after encounters with all three of the trio of Fasado, Lukain, and Akuhei Nex still refuses to do it because he knows Akuhei wants him to. So he took matters into his own hands: In the middle of Verse 1, he manipulated Siegfried into going out to handle a matter Reiga couldnt through fighting the one responsible for the attacks of the first verse Zaezel. But this was only done in order to Force a meeting on both Nex and Siegfried and pit the two against each other wearing them out to when they fight Zaezel they cant win. Putting Siegfried in a near death situation, at Zaezel's hands that caused Nex to have no choice but to activate the grimoire in order to save him. Akuhei playing on their childhood friendship and using Nexs one last weakness against him. All while Akuhei was watching it all happen without them knowing it and he had his classic Psychotic Smirk appear right as Nex activates the Grimoire.
- Meet the New Boss: After Yamaorochi was defeated in the Third War of Armagus, Akuhei appeared from unknown causes, and took his place, name and weapon.
- Mind Rape: He will do it without second thought, he loves to in fact. It's the best form of torment for him as he outright states he goes for the soul and mind and shatters that first and lets the body be consumed in the results after. Yeah hes a real piece of work.
- More Than Mind Control: He manages to convince so many
that he has their answers that he can lead them to whatever result they want.
Akuhei : (To Nex) ...I think you know already, boy. (walks up to him and Nex lowers his head to a sneer at his presence while Akuhei whispers to him) I seize any pieces I see fit, and putting strings in his back is about as easy as fucking with his shattered mind. You know since he lost his will to continue after that cat died, hes just. like. putty. (Smiles wickedly as his tone returns to normal) Oh if only he listened to you! Except for the fact you ruined that by leaving! But hey, in that case you just lose more that way, dont you?"
- Heck just ask Siegfried about it who doesn't even realize They are outright using him because he's too damn self absolved, and Akuhei flat out stated in gleeful sadistic fashion, he's having his way with him to Nex in Verse 2..
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Is called the Underworld Serpent, as well as baring name of a guy who was one of the most feared in the Third War. Most people upon hearing his name know that trouble is sure to follow.
- Not So Different: This is the kind of a mindset he tries to beat into Nex's head. After all, they both share so many traits it's genuinely horrifying.Akuhei: You remind me of so much of someone! Oh who could it be? That utter disgust of everything - that desire to kill and bring an end to a worthless world! Kill em all! Who cares about hopes and dreams, youre a nightmare beyond repent you dont want it! A part of the evil that lives only to drive every soul into destructive despair. Who does that remind you of Azure 0-?Nex: (His eyes return to normal and widen)Akuhei: (Grins widely) Its just like me.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Why the fuck should the most evil guy around watch his fucking language?
- Slasher Smile: Hes psychotic, whatd you expect? No psycho is complete without it. Its most present during his bouts of inflicting torture.
- Smug Super: Arrogant jackass indeed.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Though it's kinda hard to see them.
- Hellish Pupils: His snake irises.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: For Yamaorochi. He appears right after his apparent demise and inherits his weapon from Lukain making it hard to believe he isn't him.
- To Create a Playground for Evil: God knows you don't want him or anyone on his side to get his way with the world, destroying it would be a better fate.
- Torture Technician: When Akuhei needs answers, he skips straight to torture, both mental and physical. Even if someone is willing to tell him everything, he's still going to engage into Enhanced Interrogation Techniques.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Silver-white.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Much like Nex— Akuhei can also take souls for himself. Akuhei's weapon, rather then just erase the enemy it is the only known Exitium that was altered to devour his foe's soul energy and gives it back to Akuhei before it kills them. Destroying existence benefits Akuhei simply because it gives him more strength.
Chases Nex and attacks the city looking for him. Her actions are unknown but she has a vendetta against this world and the people within it.
- Blood Knight: When Valetha goes into battle, she often can't stop spilling blood and crushing her opponents.
- Dark Is Evil: She has a dark color scheme, and definitely has committed evil acts.
- Lack of Empathy: People are simply puppets or worthless creatures to her, so she doesn't concern herself with their pitiful affairs. She sees them all as her enemy.
- The Musketeer: She switches between her her katana and her guns when the situation calls for it.
- Multicolored Hair: Black with red highlights.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Valetha's standart color scheme.
- The Sociopath: She doesn't care how many people she has to kill to achieve her goals, she just cuts her way through them.
- Stalker with a Crush: For Nex. She is very subtle about that. Although her fascination may be explained by the fact she believes he's somehow connected with a thing called "The Red" and is uncontrollably pursuing traces of it.
A girl who was sent out to find Nex by Nicaiah for unknown reasons. Is targeted by the NOS for an unknown reason. She appears to be frail but was highly protected by the LS' forces and her guardian, Komyo shows hidden potential.
- The Chosen One: Of the Liberation Sector, she's highly valued to them, in a similar vein to how Reiga is to the NOS.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: This made her an unwilling target of several, including the Zaezel and the Seithr Beings who wish to kill her off due to her soul's potential to be a threat in the future.
- Nice Girl: Komyo is a friendly woman who seeks to stop the wars between the governments.
- Royal Rapier: Komyo wields Aura, a long and thin blade with unknown potential.
A Higher up of the NOS who is seeking to end Mujihi and perform other tasks. He is known as the Lt. General of the NOS, and works alongside Lukain and Akuhei. He is one to go after his own goals while also working to complete the tasks given to him. It's obvious that he has a bit of a power complex when concerning their government"
- Arch-Enemy: Mujuhi's.
- Ascended Meme: One of Sylar's aliases for him; 'Fasaso' was the result of a typo by one of the writers, and Fasado's creator going with the joke of it sounding like a salsa.Fasado: Fasaso.... Sounds like a salsa.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's the Lieutenant General of the NOS at the beginning of the plot.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Has the ability to analyze enemy movements in combat and record them as battle data as he fights, as if to prepare for future encounters and make new ways to counter said attacks recorded.
- The Comically Serious: Assumes Akuhei's analogy of horse races was literally him betting on a horse race.
- Evil Genius: He doesn't have the leadership skill like Lukain does, but he certainly has intelligence for his work in the Research Department and is more likely to be seen expressing it then Lukain.
- Evil Is Hammy: Fasado is as hammy as his nemesis Mujihi.
- Expy: Has shades of Relius Clover with his analysis, while also showing shades of Terumi with his psychopathic demeanor.
- Four-Star Badass: He holds the rank of Lt. General in the NOS.
- For Science!: His main justification for all the atrocities he commits.
- Mad Scientist: He is mad, and he is a scientist. Do the math.
- Lack of Empathy: He doesn't care about anything except his experiments.
- Laughing Mad: He has many shades of this when battling a worthy opponent or reveling in chasing Mujihi.
- Plague Doctor: Fasado certainly has this aesthethic.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His lenses tend to blink red to convey his anger, as well as other colors. Trope is to a T due to his eye color actually being red.
- Sword Beam: His main method of attack is spamming these.
- Wine Is Classy: One of his hobbies is brewing wine, though he's still a psychopath.
Leader of Red Thunder investigating actions of Valetha and Fasado along with other orders from Nicaiah. He's just recently taken his position as leader and at times can doubt himself, though he is loyal to his cause and thinks of Nicaiah as a mother after he lost his own parents and she took him under her wing in LS.
- Arch-Enemy: Is this to Fasado.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Leader of Red Thunder, an unofficial faction of the Liberation Sector.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: His fighting style could be described as this due to his tendency to fight close range.
- Elemental Punch: Does this quite often due to his affinity for the elements.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: He wields multiple elements due to his Chaotic Element.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: There are elemental users that can out-class Mujihi in their particular element.
- Large Ham: Boy, he can out-ham almost anyone in the cast.
- Pistol-Whipping: His preferred method of using his weapon up close to avoid any fatal blasts from point-blank.
Traveling partner of Mujihi, she is faithful to him and joined his cause after the death of her family where he appeared to aid her from jaws of danger. Ever since she's now been faithful to him and his cause, but she can be a bit difficult to reason with at times, especially concerning matters she's passionate about"
- Action Girl: She is not a girl who needs protection, and she is able to kick some ass.
- An Ice Person: Wields Toketsu Gantaretto, literally meaning "Freezing Gauntlet"
- Arch-Enemy: Acts as such towards Valetha.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Uses her fists and feet as well as her gauntlets.
- Madness Mantra: Has one seeing Valetha's Bloody Vaporizer in Episode 18.Bitoku: God dammit, god dammit!Repeating it in constant pace, she feels her anger burning within each repetition comes a little stronger then the next until the beastkins rage couldnt be held in any longer. Normally relaxed, Bitokus face changes into one of frustration, her eyes small. While Mujihi couldnt catch it because her back was turned, the reflection off of the surface of her metallic gauntlets she held to the window showed her expression.Bitoku: GOD DAMMIT!
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: See above.
- Sweet Tooth: Her hobby is making frozen treats.
A Protagonist chasing a antagonist of Verse 1 and Nexs unofficial ally. He contains power over what's been dubbed "White Darkness". Sylar follows his own agenda, and despises LS though is currently focusing on other matters. While he is willing to work with others, Sylar is incredibly power happy and tends to lack restraint, and he loathes the idea of control."
- Aloof Ally: Don't count on him to do anything outside of what needs to be done, he doesn't trust many nor is he afraid to back-stab anyone who tries to trouble him. He is only loyal to a VERY few select people.
- Amplifier Artifact/Artifact of Doom: Apolloexon. It increases his potential with the Boundary's power but also has an adverse effect on his mental state and his power becomes uncontrolled if left active too long.
- Anti-Hero: Sylar doesn't let himself be restrained by moral boundaries like a typical hero. He's something of a loner and is a well known criminal and when it comes to destroying those he despises, there is absolutely nothing he wont do to see them brought to the ground. His backstory is also kept in the dark and complex, but its suggested that he has had a pretty rough life.
- Artificial Human: Sylar was altered at some point in his life— Though its unclear what he is, he ain't human, that's for sure.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Sylar has a short attention span and can be easily distracted by shiny objects. Collecting them is one of his hobbies. He even officially has ADD as his diagnosys.
- Ax-Crazy: Suddenly all of Sylar's tendencies, violent jokes, and ruinous behavior adds up to this. When he unleashes Apolloexon's real form and the "White Darkness" he goes next level up of violent to the point it makes even Nex uneasy. Destruction abound and malice aplenty— Its one of those cases that its a good thing he's on the good side.
- He did this in his fight with Fasado in Episode 18, where he was actually able to stand to him with the weapon and Sylar's personality took a huge shift as he flashed really unsettling looks while facing him and eventually Fasado called the fight off.
- The Berserker: Normally he can contain and control himself but he simply will not care what he's killing or destroying when Under influence of Apollexon's power which puts him deep into rage, desire, and eventually warps his personality.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Averted. Though Sylar has black eyes with white irises, he is not really evil, but more rebellious.
- Blade on a Stick/Simple Staff: Sylar's weapon, Apolloexon. Appears as a former in combat and as a latter when not in use.
- Berserk Button: Any form of Restraint he will become extremely unstable over.
- Simply just mentioning the leaders of the 51st Sector will make the man grind his teeth and become on edge. In their presence, it's typically even worse.
- Blood Knight: Sylar sure loves a good fight.
- Byronic Hero: Self-destructive, moody, and completely unpredictable, with an ego and rebellious as all hell. Although he tries to do good in the world the world doesn't accept that, its worse then Nex has it by far. Unlike Nex, Sylar will reflect more on his life as a "Demon" and questions his own self-purpose at times.
- Challenge Seeker: Big time.
- Cute Little Fangs/Fangs Are Evil: Subverted, "cute" isn't quite the right word, and he isn't evil. However, he has sharper canines then most.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Sylar has a demonic appearance, dark color schemes, and uses extremely deadly dark lightning which is made from corrosive concentrated seithr particles. But— he uses it to take out bigger evil threats and helps the good guys with it. He's more so a chaotic loose cannon with a decent nature to him. He isnt out to destroy the world, rather free it from the oppression of the government albeit in ways that are at times questionable on the morality side of things.
- Deadpan Snarker: Using Insult Backfires and a sense of dry humor, Sylar tends to annoy even the most feared antagonists with his sharp electric tongue laced in sarcasm when he responds to their plans or reasoning—sometimes even his allies get annoyed by the psycho jokes and it makes them wonder.
- Defeat Means Friendship: If you manage to defeat him and have a decent cause to you, you'll not only earn his respect, but you just might make an ally out of him.
- This is actually how Nex and Sylar became close allies. After Nex defeated Sylar in combat in a test of the two's powers over ruinous abilities, Sylar saw just how powerful Nex actually was, and seeing that he automatically grew to respect him as a ally with a common goal in destroying the governmental establishment.
- Destructive Savior: Isnt exactly the most subtle when he comes to help will typically result in something breaking or being destroyed due to the fact of his unrestrained dark lightning.
- Determinator: He is completely and obstinately recalcitrant, and refuses to back down from anyone regardless of who they are.
- Electric Torture: Sylar's lightning will paralyze the opponent painfully, it's a rather cruel tactic for him to make electricity surge through his foes and corrode their body.
- Fatal Flaw: Pride. Pride is a sin, and its the sin that feeds him the Boundary's power which he often struggles to control. He is also extremely prideful in every aspect, giving him a unbroken sense of spirit, though it can often get the better of him in fights with people he despises and its gotten him into more then his own fair shares of trouble.
- The guy also has issues with Wrath toward his foes. His anger is less controlled than Nex's, making him a dangerous person to cross, but highly susceptible to falling victim to his own darker influences and thoughts he keeps buried away.
- Friendly Rival: With Nex, emphasis on friendly, he sees it as a competition to fight with him and keep him sharp.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Normally calm and carefree—but say anything wrong, anything at all... his truly berserk-nature will shine through, and he'll come down on you like lightning with brutal, unforgiving force. Typically his semi-decent nature will keep the conflict verbal, but he may very well resort to physical aggression and beat you to a pulp depending on the height of the situation. Enemies of Sylar beware because he will hunt you down relentlessly if you piss the guy off in the wrong ways.
- Anna experienced this in an Episode, where she ridiculed Sylar for his demonic appearance and actions, at first he merely responded with verbal counters— however eventually she pushed the wrong buttons and he became violent to where Sylar nearly killed her for it— until his morality kicked in and he stopped himself when Nicaiah intervened.
- Hero with an F in Good: Sylar actually sometimes tries to do good in the world, but his status as a demon and his streak of destruction don't really help him gain any favor points with others aside his nature such as Nex.
- Hero Worship: Shows shades of this to Koyoto when the latter reveals his role in the war, as he thinks of their effort as some of the "Greatest criminal actions in history".
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Refuses to use Apolloexon's true power against opponents he doesn't consider worthy.
- JerkAss: Sylar is kind of a dick sometimes, if you don't fight him he won't give you respect or even pay attention to your problems. His ego is about as high as one can get, and he's quite arrogant about his power.
- I Shall Taunt You: To pretty much anyone, although it may or may not lead to swift punishment from his foes. But to him it's worth the pain.Sylar: Ghgh-haha but you sure got annoyed. One of the worlds strongest minds has to put a bit more effort in than usual, struggling even not used to that are you????: You have no idea what kind of things I have done before. This isnt even the worst situation Ive been in.Sylar: I didnt expect it to be, prick let's be honest though, youre not exactly the worst Ive been through either. (Grins as he tilts his head down and spits blood at the ground) Still theres something just damn satisfying about seeing frustration from someone who takes the liberty of doing shit they really shouldnt be.The man closes his eyes and backhand slaps Sylar, and the demon just grins.???: ...Is that all you have to say?Sylar: No, (looks back to him) question: Was that supposed to hurt, or just make me laugh?
- I Was Just Passing Through: Like Nex, Sylar will never openly admit he came to help anyone.
- In the end of Verse 1 when he blatantly helps Mujihi and Bitoku survive an encounter with Zaezel he simply states it was coincidence they were there and he was only after Zaezel.
- Jabba Table Manners: Sylar doesn't seem to be quite a gentleman at table. He eats with his claws, devours his food rapidly instead of savoring it and so on.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Sometimes adhers to the philosophy "Don't think, act".
- Lightning Bruiser: Like Nex, Sylars genetic abilities are rather insane, he is stronger, faster and more durable than most. He isnt human but it isnt known why he has those powers. Bonus is that he does indeed use lightning from seithr.
- Mood-Swinger: Isn't exactly the most stable of characters after he's been set off.
- Motor Mouth: It probably doesn't help that he is ALWAYS full of energy, he doesn't ever shut up... its pointed out many times and he's known to have an electric tongue.
- It's actually done in a manner though to where he can use it to his advantage to where he annoys his opposition or even a mook to avoid trouble or cause it in combination with playing on his clear as day ADD.
- Name's the Same: With that psycho from Heroes. It's an inside joke that Sylar secretly wants to cut peoples heads open with his lightning and absorb their power.
- Noble Demon: Totally a demonic sort, even down to the appearance and actions, but Sylar has moral boundaries. Hell do what he has to to get what he wants, and he certainly won't hesitate to kill a foe. However, he has no interest in committing acts of destruction for no reason.
- Power Fist: He has claws as part of his infusion with the Boundary's energy- if he's not smacking foes down with Apolloexon or charring them with lightning he's rending you apart with his claws which leave brutal and corroding wounds.
- Psycho Electro: Floats between the mentality of sane and insane when his weapon is involved for too long.
- True Companions: With Nex. Even though Nex is a bit weary to let anyone in, and plays it off to be an artificial alliance— Sylar is a true ally to him and he's helped him through many conflicts in the past. The two realize they can depend on each other if the entire world turned against them and together or apart they seek to end the governments.
- The Nicknamer: Loves to give nicknames to various people, based on their personalities and powers. He typically does it in an act of disrespect, but, he also gives his allies friendly nicknames— much to their disdain.
- Nex = Destroyah.
- Siegfried = Sigfree/Blue Blaze Boy.
- Reiga = Savior Child.
- Fasado = Private Fasaso/Lt. Blackbeak.
- Akuhei = Underworld Worm.
- Kiryos = Kiryo-Yo the Frosty Wolf.
- Cerea = Gold Rose.
- Rebellious Spirit: A complete rebel to any authority status.
- Red Baron: Is known as "the White Demon".
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Sylar isn't restrained in many ways, including his use of language.
- Shock and Awe: Sylar absorbs Seithr and converts it into "Dark Cells" which are used for powerful bolts of dark electricity from the corrosive energies of the Boundary. It flows through his body and he can manipulate it around himself into chain-lightning, fields, shockwaves, spheres of lightning, and pulses.
- Yellow Lightning, Blue Lightning: Sylar's lightning is often pitch-black.
- Sweet Tooth: Sylar LOVES everything that has sugar in it. Ice cream, cakes, soda - no matter what it is, if it's sweet, he'll eat it.
- Terror Hero: He knows no restraint, and tends to be a bit more on the violent side compared to Nex. Sylar plays on his appearance, credibility and brutality to scare off those he fights, and if you stick around he wont pull any punches.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cherries. Sylar loves his cherries. Likely because of his fascination with round, shiny objects and sugar. This is the best of both worlds for the Demon. He'll be seen with sugar coated cherries or just regular ones. Either way, it isn't uncommon for him to pull one out and play with it before eating it.
- Villain Ball Magnet: Sylar is regarded as a violent, ruthless demonic sort who rips his foes to shreds, burns them to a crisp with lightning and he's never allowed to forget it in conversations with antagonists that he is a Demon and always will be one. The fact the other protagonists sometimes see his behavior as questionable doesn't help his mentality either. In the end Sylar just subtly wishes to do some good, but most in story jump the gun and assume the worse of him simply because of his appearance or judge on his evil and destructive actions of the past, easily forgetting his small but true, moral code or the fact Sylar often tries to ignore his demonic natures.
- With Us or Against Us: You're either his friend or foe, or he just doesn't give a damn about you. There is no in between for him, and if you get in his way he's not going to hesitate to take you down.
Yumiko is a squirrel Beastkin who is a character in Control Sequence who is a registered member of the Novus Orbis Sequentia. She becomes the partner of Miwa Suzuki later on.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Yumiko prefers to engage her foes in close combat with nothing but her trusty gauntlets.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Man, everything this girl has gone through can break a lesser man, but no, she keeps on living with a hope for a better future.
- Disease Bleach: Her hair and fur have turned white due to constant exposure to Seithr.
- Expy: Of Makoto.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Yumiko has a certain affinity for metals.
- Little Bit Beastly: You don't say?
- Tomboy: To Myri and Miwa's Girly Girls.
A girl found later by Nex and others who is watched by Yumiko. She contains an Azure that's considered pure. Miwa is gentle at heart and a kind soul who wishes good on the world around her, though she is a bit lost and feels a strong loneliness. She was sought out by the Higher Ups of the NOS, but later found and joined by Yumiko Nanaya.
- Ambiguously Gay: Miwa seems to be attracted to her partner, Yumiko, in more-that-just-friends way.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Being frozen for a century does that to you.
- Genki Girl
- Healing Hands/White Mage: Her Pink Azure grants her the ability to heal even the most grievous wounds.
- Human Popsicle: Used to be one before Nex found her.
- Nice Girl/Naïve Everygirl: Really gives off this vibe considering her partner points out how she's too trusting and that someone can take advantage of her because of it. She also wants everyone to be happy and get along with each other.
Lukain is a higher up in the NOS as a Field Marshal devising most of their strategies in warfare and is a master of the dark arts and energy manipulation. He undertakes great study into it and is the only one who dares to tap into the powers beyond understanding, for him there are no boundaries.
Though he is not in charge of the Sequence Destroyers, Yami Akuhei chooses to work with him often. He issues out orders to almost everyone in the NOS, save the Sequence Destroyers who are in their own division.
- Ambition Is Evil: This guy is clearly ambitious toward something, in fact it was Lukain who was responsible for ascending the NOS to its current power, via the Nex Exitium and Azure Interface Primefield improvements he is still working toward a clear goal - and it has nothing in the interest of the world around him.
- Ambiguously Evil: Unlike his far more nefarious partner Akuhei, and the slightly less unhinged (at least at first glance) Fasado - You can't tell he's evil, unless you get on his bad side, or get in the way of his goals. He is quiet and works methodically, rarely taking to the field himself, or displaying any ill intent, and he keeps his record fairly clean. Heck a lot in the NOS respect him including Lazarith because of his sheer work he's put into making the NOS as powerful as it is post Third War. He is bar none the power behind it, but his morality is questionable and its difficult to really tell what he's working toward.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As the Marshal of the NOS, he is one of the most dangerous people in the world.
- The Chessmaster: Due to Lukain's long-term scheming, Novus Orbis Sequentia has risen to a level no one could reach in centuries. He always seems to have a back-up plan when the main one fails to achieve the required result, and he has the ability to quickly analyze the situation and take the strategy that will suit him the most and from which he will benefit later.
- Creepy Souvenir: Lukain collects these for the unknown reason.
- Dark Is Evil: His theme seems to be centered around the Boundary and death. Just a little sketchy. This guy can be totally trusted.
- The Dark Arts/Power of the Void: Lukain is a high level sorcerer and alchemist. His magic is mixed somehow with the Boundary's power, and it drains energy from others to make itself. He normally utilizes orbs of the distorted energy. But he also creates voids, vortexes, or sometimes just fires off dark energy into pulses, beams, spherical novas, energized edges etc.
- Evil Sorcerer: Lukain's magic prowess isn't used for anything good, he's one of the most feared individuals who utilizes magic and the boundary's power together.
- Four-Star Badass: Holds the highest military rank in the NOS.
- Expy: Serves as one of Relius Clover's. A working relationship with a local psychopath, complete sociopathy and uncaring for human lives, as well as manipulation of the others to further his own goals.
- Lack of Empathy: Lukain lacks empathy in any sense of the word. He has no regard for humanity or life in general, he only seeks to push the boundaries of it. Even towards members in the NOS he doesn't express any kind of compassion towards them. It's what tends to make him able to get along with Akuhei who tends to be a bit off himself.
- Mad Scientist: Much more subdued than the usual type.
- Manipulative Bastard: He plays people like puppets and doesn't care about the expendable human resources.
- Necromancy: His magic is clearly tainted and used for ideas of this.
- Odd Friendship: With Akuhei, though the term "friendship" can't be applied to their relationship. He is also this way toward Fasado.
- Older Than They Look: Despite looking like a man in his 30s, Lukain has been around since the Third War, if not even earlier.
- Perpetual Frowner: No one has even seen him smile in ages, and people joke that he was born with a permanent frown attached to his face.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Unlike Akuhei, Lukain prefers to evaluate the situation and act accordingly.
- Purple Is Powerful/Supernatural Is Purple: Some of his most powerful attacks are a magenta, deep indigo, or black-violet, and considering his attacks are from the Boundary this makes it a supernatural force as well.
- Self-Made Orphan: The guy killed his own parents and then used their souls for his own goals. A real loving son.
- Social Darwinist: Is something of a combination of several ideas, but he adheres to the philosophy of 'Only the strong deserve to live' and only the strong will lead to the new age.
- The Straw Meritocrat: Considering he prides himself on how he earned his position and is highly HIGHLY ambitious this pretty much applies to him. He does see himself as the top of society... by far. Because of Pride— and kindness? What kindness.
- The Struggler: Believes that strife needs to happen in order for the mind and soul to grow stronger.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Averted. He doesn't do it for the better of mankind exactly, he doesn't even seem to care— it isn't known why he does it but he is moving toward some kind of evolution. The strongest soul is not made by kindness, no, it is made through hate and despair. Just ask him. He will use anyone he sees fit to move toward that greater goal.
- The Strategist: He's not the Marshal for no reason, he's an extremely smart military tactician whose actions have brought the NOS to unchallenged power.
- The Sociopath: All humans who he doesn't see valuable to his plans are expendable to him.
- The Stoic: His serious personality contrasts with Akuhei's crazy antics... it's slightly odd how he just doesn't react to anything.
- Token Evil Teammate: For the Council, alongside Rychia.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Lukain is revered as a hero among the NOS, the one who almost single-handedly ended the Third War and who brought their government to a "golden age", so only those who knew him back then or those who suffered because of his ruthless actions consider him a force of evil, but even then they respect his brilliance.
- Visionary Villain: Lukain seems to have a clear-cut vision for the future, working towards it by sparing no expense, whether it's finances or human resources.
A soldier of unknown rank in the NOS, disliked by most of his colleagues and revered to as a demon.
- Arch Enemies: With Lazarith, the two can't stand each other, he takes delight in threatening his charges.
- Born Lucky: Managed to make it trough a lot through sheer luck and guile.
- Boisterous Bruiser: An evil version, the main reason he is working with Akuhei and Lukain.
- Combat Sadomasochist
- Depraved Bisexual: Makes lecherous comments to most of the people he fights along the way especially Nex and Myri.
- Lightning Bruiser: His wings allow him to move quickly around the battlefield and he can take and dish out a ton of damage.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Uses this to his advantage since most of the NOS thinks he's an idiot.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: One of the many reasons he's so hated in the NOS.
- Self-Made Orphan
- Social Darwinist
- The Unfettered: Knows his position allows him to get away with a lot and he abuses this as much as possible.
Byakai is an aloof former member of the Liberation Sector Zero, who left of his own accord. He works on his own to stop the NOS's "Sequence Destroyers" and avenge his own father's deletion. Currently he is a vigilante within Kagusutchi.
He holds no weapon other than a personally named one called Midnight Claw which are extensions of his claws that come out in battle and can manifest into a much larger one for many purposes as well as channel a frozen energy.
- Cat Folk: Byakai is a Nekomata (a two-tailed cat who is able to walk on his hind legs), much like his father.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Although Byakai is one of the shortest characters in the cast, he is still a capable fighter.
- You Killed My Father: Bears a grudge towards the Sequence Destroyers for killing his father.
Mysteria is a character in Control Sequence, a Lieutenant Colonel of the NOS and a friend to Reiga and Kiryos. She is assigned to hunt after Nex and to bring him to her superior.
- Action Girl: Mysteria is a skilled combatant that can hold her own in battle with powerhouses like Nex.
- Blade on a Stick: Her Armagus is a intricate lance that utilizes energy.
- Colonel Badass: More like Lieutenant Colonel Badass.
- Enemy Mine: During dire circumstances she can be convinced to side with the heroes to deal with a bigger threat. Doesn't mean she won't resume her mission afterwards.
- Hero Antagonist: She does her job by pursuing Nex, but she doesn't bear any ill will towards people he's travelling with, such as Myri.
- Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist: Of course, Nex isn't exactly good, and Mysteria would catch him if not for his tremendous power and other circumstances.
- Mercy Lead: Whenever Nex performs a deed that is good in her eyes, Mysteria is willing to give him a head-start.
- Ship Tease: With Reiga.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
A former Sequence Destroyer who decided to abandon the NOS due to somewhat ambigious reasons and joined the LS recently. As a former partner of Akuhei, he is a dangerous opponent to those who earn his enmity.
- Affably Evil: Serza is pretty calm and doesn't seem to care for fighting, he remains collected and polite in conversation though can be a bit crude at times and is a questionable sort due to his history with Akuhei.
- It's cranked up to Faux Affably Evil In his days with the SIA, (Origins Setting) its clear as crystal he was evil and enjoyed it. Maintaining his pretty chill demeanor, as a good interlocutor and has a sense of humor (sort of). But in several scenes of it, Serza has been known to destroy the souls and psyche of others to his own enjoyment— and the reader is not allowed to forget this man is Akuhei's partner and how he has most definitely slaughtered hundreds of people and tortured them along the way like his fellow Destroyers Why he now has a calmer demeanor isn't quite known.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes, his sword's hilt is a serpent, and the energy of Ophius will manifest as a emerald and crimson serpent at times. His codenames: Infernal Viper and Jade Serpent also stay true to that.
- Defector from Decadence: Has gone rogue for his own reasons, claiming to no longer wish to work with his past allies.
- The Dragon: Used to be one to Akuhei.
- Enigmatic Minion: He definitely knows some secrets, but he is not going to share them with you if it doesn't benefit him.
- Four-Star Badass: Used to hold the rank of Lt. General in the NOS.
- Katanas Are Just Better: A long blade of emerald sheen named Crucitias Colubra: Ophius.
- Multicolored Hair: Deep red and bright green. Supposedly, weird hair is considered to be fashionable in the CTS universe.
- Nice Hat: This guy took some fashion lessons from Hazama.
- Red Baron: His most known aliases are "Eye of Yamaorochi", "Infernal Viper" and "Jade Serpent".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Used to be Blue to Arcius and Akuhei's Red.
- Retired Monster: Claims that his Sequence Destroyer days are gone. Although what measure of "retired" is yet to be seen.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: He really doesn't sound menacing... but oh god can he turn those thoughts into a nightmare in about 2 seconds when his eyes go red and slit like a snake's.
- Wild Card: He certainly isn't a good guy, but he isn't the worst guy either. He has been with the SIA, and now is in Liberation Sector — however its never clear what he's going to do next as he's an extremely ambiguous character of the series.
The powerful leader of the 0th Sector of LS, Nicaiah oversees most of the field operations and serves as the mission control to most of the protagonists.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She is quite knowledgeable about science and magic, but she prefers to control her subordinates from her office and give them directions rather than participate in combat.
- Da Chief: To the 0th Sector.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Even if she doesn't talk about it to anyone, she has witnessed many atrocities in her past, which justifies some of her cynical worldview.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her grumpiness is one of her deadliest weapons.
- Expy: Of Kokonoe, being a rather grumpy and cynical scientist who prefers to avoid combat.
- Mission Control: Serves as one to her allies and subordinates.
- Mission Control Is Off Its Meds: When pissed off, she usually spews insults at everyone who dares to speak up.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Unlike the other high-ranking members of the LS who are more conservative and reluctant to lend their hand in battle against the NOS, Nicaiah is always willing to offer her help to the protagonists, regardless of their affiliation.
The chief inventor of 0th Sector, Anna is a young woman who serves under Nicaiah and has some past history with Kiryos.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: While her enormous intellect is constantly working, she just can't make her body get up from the couch sometimes.
- Cool Shades/Goggles Do Something Unusual: Her yellow shades (her original invention) allow her to quickly analyze her surrounding and send the valuable information to Nicaiah. Screw your night vision or infrared goggles, this little thing has it all.
- Deadpan Snarker: Some of Nicaiah's attitude has rubbed off on her.
- Friendly Sniper: When she isn't aiming down her sights, she's a humble and friendly person. When her sights are aimed at you, you better run.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Anna is natural at constructing Armaguses and various gadgets even with a box of scrap.
- Number Two: To Nicaiah.
- Technopath: The girl has an unusual connection to all the machinery she can find around, something she call her "technological intuition".
- Teen Genius: The girl had her first Ph. D. at the tender age of 13!
- Uneven Hybrid: Even though her father was a Beastkin, she doesn't seem to inherit any of his beastly traits.
- Wrench Wench: A good ol' wrench at hand is better than a conveyor sometimes.
A ruffian wolf beastkin who is a member of an unknown organization, Zerde is a bounty hunter under their employment. He is wielding a black market weapon and manipulates Seithr into earth from an unknown force. The name he goes by is just an alias, with his name unknown.
- Blade on a Stick: A black market halberd that has the power to control earth.
- Bounty Hunter: A very devious one at that.
- Dishing Out Dirt: His weapon allows him to use terrakinesis in battle.
- Fantastic Racism: He despises humans as a kind.
- Might Makes Right: He has a pure belief in the idea that change will only be brought along with force.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Zerde" isn't his real name.
Verse 2: Primordial Awakenings
Xena (Type X)
Type X (Named "Xena" later on) is known as a rogue AIP who seeks to unveil a certain "desire" she was shaped by. She has a familiarity to Nex, and wants to protect him from the world's desires.
- Expy: Of Nu-13.
Lazarith is a man who is known as the Angel of Salvation and a powerful force in the NOS. He is a part of a new race of altered beings called "New Breeds" and a character in Control Sequence who watched over Myri for most of her life.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Averted. Lazarith is one of the most law-abiding characters in the universe.
- The Fettered: Upholds his ideals and tries to stay true to his own ethics even though he knows the NOS is partly corrupt.
- Good Is Not Soft: He is forgiving to most, but to people like Nex or Zaezel, not so much.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Feather-like, wispy wings of energy from the Boundary which are also a Weaponof Choice.
- Mystical White Hair
- Papa Wolf: Nothing concerns him more than Myri's safety.
- The Paladin: His title is the Angel of Salvation, and unlike many in the NOS, he actually has merit behind his title.Lazarith: My life is to the World Order Council. My power is for the peace of a new tomorrow. If I must stain my wings by dipping into those strengths once more to help redeem us and defend the souls of the world from destruction I shall.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is quick to offer his help to Yumiko and Miwa, since the former is Myri's friend.
- Sinister Scythe: A powerful scythe of both metal and energy he uses in combat.
- Token Good Teammate: For the Council, alongside Yyntal and Marina.
- Undying Loyalty: He truly believes in his cause with the NOS's Council.
- Winged Humanoid: He garners a pair of wings of energy, manifesting almost constantly behind him that give credence to his name as an Angel.
Koyoto C Mercury
An old cat Beastkin spirit from before the Third War of Armagus, was given form by Legna Alucard and is filling a similar role to his old friend Imyo.
- But Thou Must!: Acts as this to Byakai when it comes to reforming the LSZ
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Zigzagged Not from his enemies but fate will not allow him to die until he fulfills his obligations
- Cassandra Truth: Admits to Byakai that he never trusted his mother and regrets not telling Morkuv his misgivings
- Combat Medic
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Not so much Moron but during present time in CTS he intentionally undersells his abilities and exactly how much power he has left
- Cynical Mentor: To both Nex and Myri Especially to Myri after her grimoire begins to manifest, owing to his guilt over not training his daughter
- Dead to Begin With
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Seeker: Became this for a short time after the war Leading to him throwing his life away in an attempt to save his Granddaughter. It didn't take
- Disapointed In You: Implied when he talks to Nicaiah during CTS Origins expressing how disappointed he is over how she has turned out. See "Greatest Failure"
- Failure Hero: How he sees himself due to the many things he still feels guilt over from the war. Invoked when he fails to kill Lukain when he had a shot due to the absorbed energy from Nex's grimoire being to much for his current form to handle
- Honor Before Reason: the reason he refuses to tell Byakai about his mother and prove he did know his father, he promised Morkuv he wouldn't say anything unless there was no other choice
- Also why he doesn't tell Nex the truth about his missing memory, as he and Imyo swore not to say anything
- Knight In Sour Armor: Life hasn't exactly been kind to him and it shows in his demeanor.
- Joker Immunity: A heroic version, though a mix of his own willpower and fate he cannot be killed
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: His death and spirit being reformed has left his memory in tatters , even if he does remember quite a bit more than he lets on.
- Last of His Kind: As far as he knows he is the only member of both his family or his allies during the war to still live
- Made of Iron: One of the few people to be able to survive multiple encounters with Yamaroachi note
- My Greatest Failure: Considers Nicaiah falling into the same pattern as her mother, as he tried to train her to do more
- Not being there for Imyo after his wife and child went missing
- Not talking his wife out of performing a Heroic Sacrifice during the war
- The glamour he puts on Ke'ri not holding up, leading to Imyo's death, Nex's current state and Seig's kidnapping
- Older Than He Looks: Is around a quarter millennia old but still looks the same as he did years ago.
- Papa Wolf: Do not harm any member of his family, or anyone he's protecting or he will do whatever he can to destroy you no matter how long it takes
- Shows shades of this towards Myri until she agrees to be trained to use her grioire abilities See for why
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After his family was killed during the war he goes on one, indiscriminately killing any NOS forces he came across
- Seen It All: Is one of the few character to have been around during the entire Evoblaze Saga in one form or another
- Survivor's Guilt: admits to Myri that the fact he's still around after the war when so many of his friends died weights on him heavily.
- The Un Favourite: Was this compared to Kokonoe.
- Tranquil Fury: When he realizes what Lukain did to his granddaughter he slips into this because he's to busy resealing Nex to lash out
- True Companions: With Imyo pre-CTS With Rachel until her death
- Walking Spoiler: Due to how involved he was in the backstory of CTS there's a lot of whiteout here
Hiro is a protagonist in Control Sequence. He becomes a primary character after Episode 21 who first appears in Verse 2 alongside his teacher Ellie. Hiro is looking for his brother Cyril who like him was also dragged into the world from the boundary for an unknown reason.
- Berserk Button: Talking about his family/threatening them.
- Akuhei did so when he mentioned that he knew what happened to his younger brother Cyril, triggering anger in Hiro as he demanded to know where he was.
- Expy: Of Emil Castagnier.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Hiro was brought into the CTS universe from the alternate future, so he's confused as this world is much different from his own.
- Light 'em Up: Hiro's specialty is manipulating light particles and creating light blades.
- Nice Guy: Hiro is one of the most caring characters in the cast, which says a lot.
- Superpowered Evil Side His personality becomes that of an Ax-Crazy Blood Knight called "Wrath" during certain occasions.
KeriA young Rabbit beastkin who was orphaned during the war, taken in by Lukain because of her large magical potential.
- Apologetic Attacker: Apologized to Myri after she completely severs the seal holding Nex back
- Black Magic: trained in this by Lukain
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Something happened in her past to render her completely emotionally unstable and scarred
- Genetic Engineering: Why she's a rabbit beastkin when none of the rest of her family is, her grandmother was part of an experiment splicing beastkin genes into normal humans, she's just the first generation the effects are seen
- Go Mad from the Revelation: When her true identity is revealed She undoes Nex's seal anyway in a fit of madness and is Killed Off for Real
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a nasty looking scar running down her face from her Chest Apparently given to her by Nex when they were younger
- Mana Drain: Can absorb magic in order to power her own attacks and heal herself, making her functionally unbeatable by a magic using opponent
- This Cannot Be!: Can undo the seal Koyoto put on Nex's grimoire which shouldn't be possible Which is foreshadowing of her true identity
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: The same incident that caused her insanity caused her to forget her past and caused her to be influenced by the NOS
- Tyke Bomb: Raised into this by Lukain
Verse 3: Destroyers of Truth
A spy and assassin for the NOS, Nobody in the NOS seems to trust her and she's visibly unhappy with her current position but unable to leave.
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: As a side effect of  below, she can manipulate her body to fit in spaces a normal person couldn't dream of fitting in
- Air-Aided Acrobatics
- Artificial Human: As the daughter of an air elemental her body is more of a way to contain her spirit
- Deadpan Snarker: Is a coping mechanism for her current situation, aimed largely toward her coworkers in the NOS
- Depraved Bisexual: Averted, while she's more than willing to use sexuality to get what she needs or get close to a target she gets no joy out of it
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Justified, see 
- Happily Married: Wears a ring to remember her wife, a casualty of the war.
- HeelFace Turn: One of the rumors as to why she's so hated, she went to spy on the LSZ during the war and defected, though only a few people know why
- Punch-Clock Villain: Really isn't evil or malicious despite helping the NOS in their more evil endeavors, only doing so because she has no other option.
- Razor Wind
- Statuesque Stunner: Stands at 6'4" and is quiet the looker Invoked by her parents when designing her artificial body
- Windis Green
A Colonel of the NOS and a Sequence Destroyer, Yyntal Sorairo is an honorable man and a loving father to his son, who strives to give Reiga a better future, free of violence and death.
- Chekhov's Gunman: First appears in the Episode 2, without much attention given to him.
- Colonel Badass
- Only Sane Man: Among the Destroyers, since most of them are bloodthristy psychopats and unrepentant murderers.
- Papa Wolf: Mess with his son, and he is going to make your life miserable.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Marina. Or maybe not so platonic.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Token Good Teammate: For the Sequence Destroyers.
- Lady of War
- Making a Splash/An Ice Person: She's the one who Kiryos has inherited his powers from.
- Mama Wolf: If you even try to hurt her only son, you can expect her to strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: Marina doesn't look older than in her mid-twenties, and people often mistake for Kiryos' sister.
- Occult Blue Eyes: Her azure blue eyes signify her magical prowess.
- You Gotta Have Indigo Hair
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She embodies the ideal of a Japanese woman as beautiful, strong mother. She has mised lineage.
Zaezel serves as a major antagonist of the first and second verses of Control Sequence. Hes an altered being who is a Force of Destruction infused with the boundary's power that was released from a cryogenic chamber of sleep. He is an envoy for his "Lord".
- Big Bad/The Heavy: Of Verse 1.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Can form these from Seithr.
- Dark Is Evil: Dark powers, dark appearance... yeah, this guy is totally a hero.
- Herald: Serves as one for his master, a being far more dangerous than he is.
- Humanoid Abomination: He can take human form to fool the others, but he is actually an Azure Sin Subject, a much more powerful variation of the Seithr beings.
- Human Popsicle: Used to be one before being freed from the cryo-stasis.
- Playing with Fire: He uses black Seithr flames to burn his opponents.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Shows them in his true form.
YuraA young girl who was the owner of the Azure Locket. She is seen in Nex's childhood memories and the one who gave him the Azure Locket. She lived with Nex in a spot separated from the rest of the world but unfortunately suffered a ill fate and her soul was lost in the process to the government and their created Sentient Unit which appeared from a Gate. Nex made a promise to return for her one day.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: As seen in Nex's memories, Yura was an extremely kind girl who was very close to Nex, and also had an affinity for good.
- Morality Chain: The first one of Nex's. Her death has caused a shift in the boy's worldview.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Would turn blue under certain conditions.
Introduced in Arc 1
ImyoA cat beastkin who made it his responsibility to look after Nex and get him to safety throughout part of Rebellion Sequence. He was well known for upholding the ideals of the original Liberation Sector.
- Badass and Child Duo: With Nex. While a young Nex was being pursued for capture by the SIA, Imyo rescued and then guarded Nex with his life while Imyo himself is a renowned member of a group going against the government. He protected Nex through to adulthood and passed to him his knowledge.
- Cat Folk: Much like Jubei, Imyo is more feline than human.
- Crusading Widower: His wife and son are presumed to be dead, but he still hopes to find them.
- Doomed by Canon: By the beginning of Verse 1 Imyo is deceased.
- Private Military Contractors: Imyo's group is basically this, a mercenary band that runs jobs for the LS and obeys the contract to the letter. Pretty much all of them have moral standards that allow them to stand out among other mercenary groups.
- Mentor Archetype: Imyo cared for Nex throughout the second and third arcs of Rebellion Sequence, and was also the one to rescue him in the first arc. He would teach Nex how to control his abilities and taught him the value of his own will in the world and to have faith in what he chooses to do, showing him aspects of his own humanity. He was also a mentor to Siegfried, having done the same and spoke to him about his father, while coaxed him into using the Azure flames for his own road. Despite being gone on some occassions, Imyo was there for both of them until his death, and his teachings have stuck with Nex ever since.
Introduced in Arc 2
- Action Girl: During the time she spent with Imyo, she finely developed into one of these. Doesn't mean she didn't know how to fight before that.
- Badass Normal: No special weapons, no genetic mutations and no supernatural abilities. She doesn't need them to kick some ass.
- Curtains Match the Window: Cerea's blonde hair greatly compliments her gold eyes.
- Expy: Of pre-Eclipse Casca.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Despite that she's just a human, she has mastered the art of drawing her sword to a lethal extent.
- Katanas Are Just Better: She wields a katana that belonged to her father.
- McSamurai: She is American by nationality, but she is well-versed in Eastern martial arts and swordfighting.
- Lady Swears-a-Lot
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Cerea is a good fighter in her own right, but in comparison to people like Nex she's not that tough.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's HUGE in comparison to other female characters, and is also quite easy on the eyes.
Kreese Winterson/ ArciusKreese Winterson is a member of the NOS that Nex runs into during an excavation of a ruin who appears friendly with him. But in actuallity, he's the Blood Reaver Arcius and holds the Nex Exitium called Belial. He aided Akuhei in his pursuit of a child Nex.
- Affably Evil: While this guy is an unrepentant murderer and an A-class asshole, he has several normal hobbies, such as watching his favorite show,
- Ax-Crazy: His weapon's influence drives him insane.
- Badass Longcoat: He wears a dark brown leather duster that splits down at the back beginning below his waist and sports midnight blue designs and patterns and a crimson image of dragon and a wolf fighting on the back. The coat also has several loops for Arcius's naginata and a hood that hides his hair from the sight.
- The Berserker: Arcius doesn't need to think about tactical approach when he can just kill everyone in his way.
- Blood Lust: Arcius definitely meets the criteria for becoming a Khornite. Blood for the Blood Reaver!
- Blood Knight: Pun intended. He just can't stop the slaughter when he gets really riled up.
- Blood Magic/Bloody Murder: His weapon, Belial, allows him to shape blood into various shapes and instruments of murder. Heck, boiling a person's blood so they would explode is one of his favorite killing methods.
- The Casanova: Despite his somewhat scary visage, he is able to charm and seduce women with his manners and gentleness.
- Cool Mask/Cool Shades/Eyepatch of Power: He wears just about anything to hide his left eye.
- The Dragon: Is the current one to Akuhei.
- Double Weapon: A two-fold example. His Nex Exituim, Belial, consists of a crimson gaunlet made of alloy that's harder than diamond and a double-bladed naginata, which he wields Darth Maul-style.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He can't stand rapists, due to the fact they use violence to get what they want, instead of genuinely charming their date.
- Evil Is Hammy: When you place this guy on a stage instead of a battlefield, he will roast the pork with nothing but his speech.
- Genius Bruiser: Even he seems like your average psycho, Arcius is quite knowledgable in many subjects, otherwise he wouldn't be a Sequence Destroyer.
- Hungry Weapon: Arcius' Nex Exitium, Belial, requires blood to function normally, so he has to search for blood to fill the gauntlet with it. If Belial doesn't get fed for a long time, it starts torturing Arcius's mind, crying out for blood and fueling his rage.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: When his foe gives him too much trouble, he switches to a more graceful and deadly style which involves a lot of kicking.
- In the Hood: Arcius constantly keeps his hood on, unless he takes off his duster.
- I Shall Taunt You: Getting your enemy pissed off makes them drop their guard. That's a legit tactic.
- Jerkass: While not as big of a douchebag as Akuhei, Arcius certainly has his moments.
- Mismatched Eyes: His right eye is red, and his left eye is carefully hidden from the public. Only his fellow Destroyers and Nex have seen it.
- Mood-Swinger: One moment Arcius may seem as a completely sane individual, knowledgable in many ways, but a second later, and he turns into a bloodthirsty maniac who wants to feed his weapon.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Who would even trust a guy who's alias is "the Blood Reaver"?
- Power Fist: One part of Belial is a crimson gauntlet made of metal that is harder than diamond. He obviously delivers bone-crushing punches to his foes when he's not serious.
- Psychotic Smirk: Unlike Akuhei who grins while slaugthering his foes, Arcius just keeps his smirk on.
- Really Gets Around: The dude really gets a lot of women.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His right eye is crimson, and it also gleams when he is about to unleash his rage on some poor sap.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: During his maniacal moments he can spew so many swears even sailors would blush and cover their ears.
- Slasher Smile: Whenever he finds a Worthy Opponent, it becomes his default expression.
- Strong, but Unskilled: In battle Arcius mainly relies on strength of his punch, beating many elaborate tactics with brute force. He is capable of more elegant attacks, he just doesn't give a damn.
- Wicked Cultured: The guy has some serious interest in history and philosophy.
- Worthy Opponent: He considers Sylar one, due to their similarities and love of fighting.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Subversion. While he has an aversion for hurting women and generally acts courteous towards them (when not trying to piss someone off), although under certain curcumstances, he can break this personal rule.
Heilo VashtorHeilo is Nex's ambiguous protector who rescued him from the Abysmal Frontier in Taoreta.
- Emotion Suppression: Heilo doesn't show his emotion, mostly because he is regarded as incapable of such. Why is unknown. However he does genuinely care for the two he protects.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Heilo's looks might give off the vibes of an intimidating evil, his Drive manifests as a evil force as well. However, he will protect those he cares for and works against the antagonistic groups in the story.
- Purple Eyes: His eyes are small and a piercing violet.
- Purple Is Powerful: Heilo has a strong violet colored spear-saber and he most definitely is powerful. To the point he could keep up with Akuhei.
- Supernatural Is Purple: Heilo's attacks are all coated in violet dark energy.
- The Dark Side: Has flat out said to Nex he gave himself to "Sin" to make sure he could help him on his road.
- The Stoic: Heilo is known to have little to no feeling whatsoever.
Serenity MercuryKoyoto's wife, died in a  During the war during currently unknown circumstances.
- Anti-Magic: Due to experiments performed on her the metal she produces has this quality
- Desecrating the Dead: this is her ultimate fate, as the NOS wants to harvest the metal from her body to create weapons
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Her arms are covered in discolored scars that are remnants from the experiments performed on her
- Mama Bear: Do not fuck with her children
- One-Woman Army: Due to the nature of her abilities she's able to fight large amounts of enemies at once
- Whip It Good: Creates whips of metal her body produces and fights in a similar style to the Indian Aria.
Introduced in Arc 3
Introduced in Arc 4
Introduced in Arc 5
AbelA man who is known as the Envoy of the Goddess and is with LSZ operating in Kanayama. He's proficient in magic and rarely fights, and has navy eyes that are strikingly similar to another's.
Introduced in Arc 6
Calamity Sequence/Catalyst Sequence
YamaorochiYamaorochi was considered to be one of the most powerful individuals alive in the Third War of Armagus and even the NOS feared his unstable mentalities.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes, like Akuhei. His eyes were gold and red serpentine slits with blackened scelera, he also had several serpentine veins along his body of an eerie green and red glow. His tongue is also forked like the snake.
- One-Man Army: Literally nobody can win a 1v1 fight against him, to the point where surviving an encounter against him is incredibly difficut
- The Dreaded: People are and were TERRIFIED of him, even in death he's still spoken of as a terror