open/close all folders
Magda Gunnarson / Jehanne
Magda is a werewolf born in France, in 1644. She's been a cop or soldier type for most of her long life, and views herself as a defender of humanity.
- Amazonian Beauty : Was this in her youth, still can turn a few heads.
- Ambiguously Bi : She identifies as straight, but did spend twenty-five years with another woman. As she puts it, werewolves live a long time. They try things.
- Badass in Charge : She's not the most badass of her crew, but she is still this
- Combat Pragmatist : At nearly 400, she has some tricks. If she can't beat you in a fair fight, she'll lure you into a trap and then set off bombs.
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten : She has forgiven her son and welcomed him home, but its clear from time to time that she has not forgotten what he used to be
- Good Is Not Soft : Adam is fairly impressed with what Magda ended up doing to Sima
- Heartbroken Badass : Magda had four children, only one of whom inherited the wolf from her. She raised three families only to watch her husband, children, even grandchildren die of old age. When Stephan finds out she is a werewolf one of the first things she does is tell him about them.
- He Who Fights Monsters : Has successfully avoided this despite being a defender of humanity for almost four hundred years
- Mama Bear - Well, Mama Werewolf. She actually is Matthias's mother.
- MayflyDecember Romance : All of hers have been. The one time she was with one of her own kind he was in the twilight of his life.
- Older Than They Look : She looks 40.
- Platonic Life-Partners : She and Stephan are very affectionate with each other. Still strictly platonic
- Sweet Polly Oliver : Comments that she's pulled this off a few times, helped by the fact she's tall and muscular for a woman.
- Team Mom
- Violently Protective Girlfriend : Toward both Stephan and Ash. Mess with her boys, and she will literally rip your heart out.
Stephan is Magda's partner and best friend. He's good with computers and something of a closet nerd, and trusts his partner wholeheartedly.
- Anti-Magic : His superpower. He can even force werewolves and other shapeshifters back to their natural form with a little concentration.
- Big Brother Instinct : Toward Ash, flat out referring to Ash as his little brother sometimes
- Black and Nerdy : Has gone to gaming conventions and claims to be able to speak Klingon. He and Ash occasionally have Star Trek vs Star Wars arguments.
- Blessed with Suck : His power means Daniel can't heal him, leaving Stephan to walk with a cane
- Celibate Hero : Seems to be this after his last girlfriend tried to kill him. He is currently with Stasya, though their relationship is often long-distance
- Classy Cane : Adopts one. It doubles as a taser
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder : Often serves as this for Ash, translating for him when Ash can't talk. No explanation is given for why he can do this
- Distressed Dude : Gets knocked out or taken hostage multiple times
- Genius Cripple : Tends to handle the research part of their missions and is good with a computer
- Handicapped Badass
- Ho Yay : Due to Ash having No Sense of Personal Space around the folks he likes and Stephan being comfortable with that, there is a lot of this despite both of them identifying as straight. Ash has flat out stated he wouldn't mind if Stephan joined him and Magda in bed.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life : Being effectively on the run severely curtails his ability to find relationships.
- Occult Detective
- Platonic Life-Partners : With Magda
- Power Nullifier: Eventually learns to concentrate his power like this, which allows him to shut down Werewolves and possibly others.
- Private Detective : Becomes one to give his crew the veneer of legitimacy
- She Is Not My Girlfriend : Break's Matthias's mind when he reveals that he's not the one Magda is sleeping with
- Understanding Boyfriend : More like understanding non-romantic partner, but Stephan goes along with some of Magda's strangeness and later accepts her werewolf nature without it negatively impacting their friendship at all. If anything, it strengthens it because she finally has one person she can be totally honest with.
Ash / Bernard Rudolf Achterberg
Ash wanted to be a cop his entire life. He's also an amateur geologist and a huge Star Wars fan, and made pocket money at school by working as a nude model for the art department. He's got some issues.
- Ambiguous Disorder : Circumstances prevent him from seeing an actual shrink. It's fairly clear he had a psychotic break and suffers very severe PTSD. Gabriel, a psychology major, notes that Ash tends to disassociate, but there is still no official diagnosis for him. Stephan just notes that he's weird and tells Ash it's okay.
- Because You Were Nice to Me : Is adamant the others save Adam
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil : Averted. He's one of the nicest guys in the series
- Brainwashed and Crazy : The poor boy has some issues.
- Claimed by the Supernatural
- Closet Geek : Between his issues and the rest, he occasionally takes people by surprise when he starts talking about geology. He also has a minor obsession with Star Wars.
- Cuddle Bug : Likes being petted and held and will actually climb into people's laps.
- Despair Event Horizon : Crossed it and is now struggling to get back
- Don't You Dare Pity Me! : As he starts to get better, he becomes more aware of his difficulties and starts to get a little fed up with being babied and patronized as he searches for a role within the group.
- Fire-Forged Friends : Has some elements of this with Adam, having clearly recognized that Adam's situation is very similar to what he went through. Adam is the only person he's able to speak to without having first been introduced via Magda and Stephan.
- Happiness in Slavery : At least now that he belongs to Magda
- Heroes Prefer Swords : Ash is taking sword fighting lessons from the Angel of Death, who is possibly also one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- MayDecember Romance / MayflyDecember Romance : He's about 22. Magda is almost four hundred.
- Mind Rape : A lot of what Sima did to him qualifies as this, even if she did mostly do it by mundane means
- Heroic Safe Mode : When he is overwhelmed or scared he reverts to acting like a dog as a coping mechanism, occasionally complete with hiding under the bed and whimpering.
- Property of Love : Adores Magda and Stephan, but when they aren't around he has a hard time even talking
- Puppy-Dog Eyes : Is noted to have these
- Security Cling : Does this to Magda and Stephan a lot
- Sex Slave : Sima turned him into one. He's getting better
- Slave Collar : Wears one
- Survival Mantra : Managed to keep himself together for a long time with one until Sima made him watch his father's murder
- The Quiet One : His issues mean there are times he can't talk, though he usually makes other sounds
- Took a Level in Badass : Gets a little supernatural help so he can back up his friends.
A marine turned mercenary, Matthias did some very bad things in Vietnam and other places, but eventually drew the line. He's a massive powerhouse of an alpha werewolf.
- The Big Guy : He's huge even before he takes his werewolf form
- The Big Bad Wolf : Is sometimes referred to as this
- The Bear : Daniel once comments that an unshaven Matthias looks like a bear wearing boxer shorts
- Berserk Button : Do not mess with Daniel
- Does Not Know His Own Strength : Averts, as he is well aware of how strong is he and is very careful with Daniel.
- Guilty Pleasure : Watching My Little Pony with Daniel and Anna
- HeelFace Turn : Had one shortly before the story begins. It's flat out stated he used to be a very bad man
- Heroic Build : Often uses his size to intimidate
- He Who Fights Monsters : Had this happen to him
- Hot-Blooded : He has a temper that sometimes gets the best of him
- Safe, Sane, and Consensual : He was very quick to make sure Daniel was over 18 before even considering his offer
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill : If he says he's going to rip your head off, he's not speaking metaphorically
- Older Than They Look : Looks 25. Is over a hundred.
- Papa Wolf : Is this toward Anna and Daniel
- Pitbull Dates Puppy : He's the pitbull
- Rated M for Manly : Ted acknowledges him as a wonderful specimen of rugged manliness
- Reformed, but Not Tamed : The only reason he's not breaking into evidence lockup and stealing a grenade launcher is he's a little scared of Gabriel.
- Unstoppable Rage : Can go into this
- Would Hurt a Child : Admits he has
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame : Says this when made to watch My Little Pony
Daniel Thatcher / Mc Namara
Daniel discovered his little sister was being abused and immediately took her and ran. He was training to be a paramedic, and is a skilled amateur cook with some motor-mouth tendencies.
- Beware the Nice Ones : He doesn't like violence or killing, but if he has to choose between taking your life or letting you kill his friends he can put you down with a mere touch.
- Big Eater : His powers force him to be one
- Big Guy, Little Guy : Has this relationship with Matthias
- Can't Hold His Liquor : Combines this with Did I Just Say That Out Loud?
- Camp Gay : Borders on this
- Corporal Punishment : Really doesn't mind when Matthias threatens him with this
- Empathic Healer
- Healing Factor: According to Khait, his healing magic comes with one that could re-grow his leg in a week.
- Healing Hands: His primary power, and a notably potent one. His touch can heal decades worth of physical damage instantly.
- Morality Chain : To Matthias
- Non-Action Guy : Especially at first, he tends to get very nervous about violence
- Pitbull Dates Puppy : He's the puppy.
- Reluctant Warrior : He'll fight and even kill, but he really doesn't like it and isn't good at it. If people stopped trying to kill his loved ones, he'd be an Actual Pacifist
- Safe, Sane, and Consensual : Enjoys the thrill of danger, but knows deep down he can trust Matthias
- Touch of Death: The "dark" side of his healing gift.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist : Would be ecstatic if everyone could just get along.
Anna is Daniel's younger sister, and possesses some psychic abilities. She is very much a girly-girl.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother : Tragically justified. She was ritually inseminated at the age of 12 to help set off an apocalypse.
- All Girls Like Ponies : She has a My Little Pony obsession
- Big Brother Worship : Has shades of this toward Daniel and Matthias
- Easily Forgiven : Once Matthias gets over his initial and considerable fury at learning she was messing with his head, he forgives her because he realizes he's a better person for it.
- Girly Girl : Loves pink, stuffed animals, My Little Pony, jewelry, and dinosaur poop
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals : Especially My Little Pony. She is only twelve, and not a particularly mature twelve.
- Manipulative Bastard : She turned out to be subtly manipulating Matthias into helping her and her brother the entire time
- Mind Rape : Can do this to people Once she joins up with Gabriel's crew, Erilon starts shutting her down whenever she tries this on her allies
- Oracular Urchin : Though her control over this seems limited
- Pink Means Feminine : Matthias assumes this of her initially, and is quickly proved correct.
- Psychic Powers: A combination of mind reading, mental suggestion, and precognition.
- The Pollyanna : Or Pippi Longstocking, as Matthias calls her
- Princess Phase : May still be in hers
The Crimson Crusaders:
Theodore Mullins / Ted
Ted is a former IRS auditor. Despite that, he is a genuinely sweet man. He runs a halfway house / youth center geared toward LGBT youth.
- Actual Pacifist : May play games in the bedroom, but it's hard to picture Ted ever hurting anyone
- Amicable Exes : Not at first, but he and his ex-wife do manage to become friends again. She approves heartily of his taste in men.
- Good Feels Good : He's no warrior, preferring to fight the good fight by helping keep kids off the street and making sure they have food and access to education.
- Eating the Eye Candy : Does this to his boyfriend a lot, and is secure enough not to be at all jealous when others do it as well.
- Nice Guy : Despite being a sexual sadist, he's probably the single nicest person in the story. The man is spending his retirement money running a homeless shelter
- Nobody Over 50 Is Gay : Averted. He didn't come out of the closet until he was fifty. Gabriel wasn't quite his Closet Key , but that was the relationship that helped him be comfortable with his sexuality and BDSM urges.
- MayDecember Romance : Has one with Gabriel It might be a MayflyDecember Romance in the other direction
- Pinned to the Wall : Likes doing this to Gabriel, though he's well aware that it only works because Gabriel lets him
- Softspoken Sadist : Ted is pretty much the last person in the world you'd expect to learn gets off on taking a whip to his boyfriend.
- Supporting Leader : Off the battlefield, he tends to take the leadership role for his group, though this may have a lot to do with Gabriel being The Quiet One
- Team Dad : Does a lot of behind the scenes things for his Ragtag Bunch of Misfits , like make sure they have food and go to their doctor's appointments.
- Took a Level in Idealism : Admits Gabriel inspired him
- Understanding Boyfriend : Accepts what Gabriel is, and the fact that circumstances occasionally dictate that Gabriel can't be faithful
- Wait Here : Is often told to stay in the car. Actually does, which is why he is still alive
- Wealthy Philanthropist : It's not really clear on how much money Ted has, but he's definitely well off and is spending a pretty penny helping out local youth.
- We Help the Helpless
- Workout Fanservice : Enjoys 'helping' Gabriel with his yoga
Gabriel Williams / Hero Boy / The Crimson Crusader
Gabriel is a somewhat mysterious cop who hears the voice of a demon and occasionally partners with her to solve cases involving the supernatural.
- Amnesiac Hero / Amnesiac God : Played with. He has the full memory of his life, but it's clear he has no memories of his angelic identity. Whether it's Repressed Memories or These Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know isn't stated. It's also demonstrated that while his angelic side might remember Gabriel's past, those memories don't seem to mean anything to it until Ted invokes The Power of Love
- Archangel Gabriel : Shares the name That is not a coincidence
- Beware the Quiet Ones : Gabriel is softspoken and tends to let others do the talking. He's the archangel of death, one of the Four Horsemen, the beings that are stated to be able to kill dragons
- Big Good : Gabriel has some All-Loving Hero tendencies and is definitely a Nice Guy. He's saving and protecting people in both his real life and super hero identities, and it's clear he doesn't abuse his power. He's the human identity of an archangel
- Broken Angel : His exact nature is unknown, but this is what Anna calls him.
- By-the-Book Cop : Would like to be this
- Deadpan Snarker : His wit tends to be fairly dry, and he's not adverse to throwing the occasional smart ass remark.
- Doorstop Baby : He was found on a church doorstep and adopted by the priest's brother
- Even the Guys Want Him : Raised a lot of money for the dunk tank. Stephan is secure enough to even admit it.
- Fair Cop : Sima explicitly calls him this
- Good Is Not Soft : Recognizing one of the vampires doesn't stop him from killing it This is even more true of his angelic side. Erilon warns that that while Gabriel often shows both mercy and forgiveness and can recognize someone trying to redeem themselves, 'the left hand of God will strike you down without hesitation'
- Happily Adopted : He keeps secrets from his family, but its clear they have a warm and close relationship
- Hope Bringer : Serves as one to Adam, among others.
- The Leader : He doesn't outright take charge, but the others have a marked tendency to defer to him and treat him as the final authority on most matters.
- Lightning Bruiser : He relies a lot on his strength, but he's also a fast and skilled fighter.
- Likes Older Men : He's with Ted There is some question as to who is actually older
- Pretty Boy : It's his in universe nickname
- The Quiet One : He tends to hang back a bit and let others do the talking, and is a lot terser than most of the others.
- Stronger Than They Look : He's more slender than his partner and is definitely dwarfed by Matthias. He's capable of throwing a car.
- Superpowered Alter Ego : Despite already being powerful enough to go toe to toe with werewolves and vampires, he has one. Erilon seems to be the one that can let it out, and it's possible she's the one keeping it in check.
- Tranquil Fury : Gabriel has thus far only raised his voice once. He lets someone know how mad he is by either calmly stating 'I'm furious', or by just vanquishing them utterly.
- Vigilante Man : Complete with alter ego, courtesy of Laura
- Voice of the Legion : Turns out if you push him enough, he can speak in the bold font too. The results are not pretty.
A runaway turned street kid, Laura is a bit of a trouble magnet. After learning of the supernatural world, she wants to help fight the good fight.
- All Women Are Lustful : Has a minor sex obsession, though that could just be because she's 16-17
- Bi the Way : Has a girlfriend, but likes to keep her options open
- Dating Catwoman : She kisses Adam despite the fact that he's technically their enemy.
- Demonic Possession : After she gets her spark, she lets Erilon take over her body sometimes
- Eating the Eye Candy : Has no shame in ogling the Cast Full of Pretty Boys
- Emancipated Child : Seeks to become one
- Gadgeteer Genius : Is thrilled at the opportunity to become one
- The Glomp : Her typical reaction when 'her boys' were endangered.
- Happily Adopted : Officially adopted by Michaels to make it easier for her to get into the University, and Laura's clearly happy with her Badass Crew and treats Michaels as a combination Parental Substitute and Big Brother Mentor
- Hypocritical Humor : Accuses Anna of being overdramatic
- Lethal Chef : Her cooking is not only inedible, it tends to destroy whatever utensils she used to make it.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl : Has shades of this for Adam
- Only One Name : Despite being a main character, her last name is unknown. It's also possible Laura isn't her actual name
- Perky Goth : Moves between this and Grunge-chic depending on her moods.
- Powers via Possession : She has a power of some kind, but if she's in a fight it's Erilon in the driver's seat.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl : Elements of this in her budding friendship with Adam.
- Refuge in Audacity : Unfortunately for her, her boys know her well enough that they don't fall for it
- The Runaway : It's worth noting that despite both being cops, Gabriel and Michaels never suggest making her go home. It's strongly hinted she had Abusive Parents
- Walking Techbane: Able to set off the magical equivalent of an EMP.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair : Currently. She's prone to changing it
Lloyd Andrew Michaels / Sidekick Man / The Other Crimson Crusader
A marine turned cop, Michaels is Gabriel's partner, loyal friend, and sidekick. He has no supernatural abilities of his own, but he makes up for it by bringing a lot of ammunition.
- Badass Normal : He keeps up with an alpha werewolf and an archangel
- Bash Brothers : Gabriel tells him that he considers Michaels his brother. When you consider who Gabriel's other brothers might be, that's serious
- Big Brother Instinct : Has one toward Laura. Occasionally has one toward Gabriel as well due to being a decade older
- Cops Need the Vigilante : Is one of the vigilantes
- Didn't Think This Through : He's not really stupid, but he definitely has his 'not the brightest bulb' moments
- Knight in Shining Armor : It's a kevlar vest and doesn't actually shine, but has some of these traits
- Last-Name Basis : Don't call him Lloyd
- The Lancer
- More Dakka : If the first six bullets don't kill you, he'll reload.
- Noble Profession : He makes it clear he's a cop because he wants to protect people
- Papa Wolf : There is nothing he won't do to keep his adopted daughter safe.
- Promoted to Parent: He legally adopted Laura to smooth various things over for her due to her runaway status, and she's taken to calling him Dad.
- Sidekick : Quick to correct people that he is Sidekick MAN, not Sidekick Boy, but otherwise doesn't mind his sidekick status to Gabriel
- Trigger Happy : Very happy when he learns they are going up against something he can shoot
- Took a Level in Badass : thanks to being possessed by the archangel Michael
Erilon is an incorporeal entity that calls herself a demon, and often acts as the group's mission control.
- Asshole Victim : If Erilon is gunning for you, you deserve it
- Berserk Button : Don't confuse her for those other beings that call themselves demons. And don't be one of those other things and call yourself a demon in her presence. The being in question requires a change of pants when she identifies herself.Erilon: Daniel, sweetie Dont look.
- Covert Pervert : Averts. She's not covert about it all
- Dark Is Not Evil : She's a demon. She's one of the good guys
- Ethical Slut : She's a succubus. She thinks everyone should be this
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self : She can appear in mirrors
- Noble Demon : Seems to be this
- Our Demons Are Different : According to her, most beings that call themselves demons aren't. She actually is
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil : Her job appears to be dishing out the punishment for this. She's especially harsh when it involves children
- Safe, Sane, and Consensual : Practically the patron saint of this trope.
- Sibling Rivalry: She and Khait have a lot of history with each other and snark often.
- Team Mom : Can be this toward her crew
- Telepathy : Her primary means of communication, though she can manifest her voice aloud or speak through Laura.
- Voice of the Legion : Her speech is rendered in bold font, and she's noted to have a 'freaky voice thing'.
Father Oliver Williams
A Catholic priest and the elder brother of the man who adopted Gabriel. He may be a witch himself, and he certainly knows more than he lets on.
- All Therapists Are Muggles : Close enough to true, which is why he steps in
- Badass Preacher : Enough that Matthias trusts him to hold the line
- Christianity Is Catholic : He's Catholic, but he's in the story because he also happens to be Gabriel's uncle
- Cool Old Guy : Figured out without being told that Ted and Gabriel are dating. Clearly has no problem with it.
- The Dreaded : It's hinted he used to be this. He lets part of it out to defend Daniel, and Daniel is seriously impressed afterward.Daniel: Seriously, I want to be you when I grow up. Only without the celibacy thing.
- First-Name Basis : When turned into a seven year old, he lets folks call him Oliver instead of 'Father Williams'. Subverted in that Oliver may not be his real name either, though it's never said if Giovanni is his first name or his last
- HeelFace Turn : Doesn't give details, but he had one a few decades ago. He recognizes Matthias on sight, and confesses to Gabriel that he used to be part of the Cabal and has committed murder.
- Good Shepherd : The crew can call upon him for help, such as when they need to perform an exorcism, and he is willing to sit and listen and offer advice as needed.
- Nuns Are Funny : Both of his sisters are nuns, meaning his sisters are sisters.
- Older Than They Look : Looks a lot younger than his stated age of 76.
- That Man Is Dead : Whoever he used to be, it's clear he no longer considers himself that manMatthias: You know everyone thinks youre dead.Father Williams: That was rather the point.
Sibling to Doris and Father Williams, and Aunt to Gabriel. She's a little ditzy, but a sweet person.
Sibling to Margaret and Father Williams, and Aunt to Gabriel. She's the most level-headed of her siblings.
Adoptive mother of Gabriel, and widow of the last of the William's siblings.
- Ambiguously Brown : Stephan is quite shocked to learn Gabriel's mother is not white, which allows her to pass herself off as Stephan's aunt when he's in the hospital.
- Doting Parent : Clearly adores her adopted son.
- Proper Lady : Runs the administrative side of the church. Admonishes Stephan to watch his language
- Open-Minded Parent : She's mostly off screen, but it's clear from her brief appearances that she takes most things in stride. She was herself a member of an interracial marriage thirty years ago.
A group of werewolves recruited by Adam after he beat up their leader. They are all cousins:Ignacio, Felipa, Javier, Pedro, Luis, and Miguel. They are all young, with a couple of them hinted at being only teenagers.
- Badass Family : They are all werewolves.
- The Big Guy : Ignacio (Iggy) is an alpha, meaning he's theoretically on the same level as Matthias. However, Iggy is about 70 years younger and lacks Matthias's combat training
- Bilingual Bonus : Iggy can be very foul-mouthed in Spanish. Adam occasionally responds by being just as foul in French.
- The Clan: They are a family of werewolves, apparently very tight-knit. They also reference additional family from time to time that are not werewolves and the entire family seems to all live together on a ranch.
- Defeat Means Friendship : Adam delivered a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to Iggy. The next time Iggy appears in the story, he and Adam are clearly good friends and joke around with each other.
- Gratuitous Spanish : English is not Iggy's first language, and he often peppers his speech with Spanish.
- Good Feels Good : Adam may pay them well, but Iggy flat out states the major reason he works for Adam is that he likes being one of the good guys.
- Hero of Another Story : They've been running around handling various small time villains while the story focuses on the main characters
- The Smurfette Principle : The only girl in their number appears to be Felipa.
- The Illegal : It's suggested none of them are in the US legally, though given how much money Adam has been paying them it's possible they've fixed this problem already.
- Undying Loyalty : Iggy is willing to follow Adam into very dangerous situations, even calling him 'brother'.
Wren was a sweet girl until she began learning the extent of her powers. She's a full witch capable of a wide range of abilities, including telekinesis and mind-control.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil : Went through a bit of this
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Corrupt the Cutie : Was subjected to this, though it bordered on Jumping Off the Slippery Slope
- Didn't Think This Through
- Dumb Blonde : Though she's more arrogant and thoughtless than actually stupid
- Entitled Bastard
- Entitled to Have You : Is this way toward Adam
- Lack of Empathy : She's so fascinated at having figured out how to shift Adam that she ignores his begging her not to do it and his screams of agony to try it out
- Lady of Black Magic
- Never My Fault
- Mind Rape : It's hinted she's been unconsciously doing this to people since she was twelve.
- Pet the Dog : She occasionally makes loving and affectionate gestures toward Adam, though they border on Bait the Dog. It's possible on some level she really does love him.
- Social Climber
- The Sociopath : She claims to love Adam and to want whats best for him. What's best for him appears to be his complete subjugation to her.
- Start of Darkness : Is on hers
- Smug Super
- Suicidal Overconfidence : She is so confident in her power she doesn't bother to read reports or research her targets. This gets her shot in the head by Stasya, as it means Wren doesn't know Stephan cancels out magic in his vicinity
- The Primadonna
Adam is a music student who got roped into the world of the supernatural after his brother and friends were slaughtered by a hag. He has the ability to shapeshift and is used by Wren as a spy and assassin.
- Big Brother Instinct : Despite actually being younger, he has this toward Ash, noting that Ash's issues make him rather childlike in some ways. He also has it toward his own little sister, and the impetus for his Bodyguard Betrayal is learning the Cabal is going to go after her.
- Claimed by the Supernatural : He can be turned into a person-puppet by the talisman
- The Dog Bites Back : Turned into a rattlesnake and bit Sima in the mouth
- Don't Make Me Destroy You : Regularly reminds his Friendly Enemy that its better if they don't trust him
- Forced into Evil : Doesn't like a lot of the things he's been made to do over the years
- Half-Human Hybrid : His power set is noted to be impossible, leading some to conclude that Adam may not be fully human.
- Happily Adopted : Unbeknownst to him, he was this. The man he thinks of as his father is actually his uncle, and he has no biological relationship to the woman he thinks of as his mother.
- Hero Antagonist : Makes sure Ash understands that it's Nothing Personal , but if he has to fight the crew he won't be pulling punches despite being their Inside Man and they should never assume they are safe around him.
- Implacable Man : Can power through a lot of pain and it's suggested that due to a combination of his power and the talisman he's pretty close to invulnerable
- Iron Woobie : Poor Adam cannot catch a break. He's also something of a Stoic Woobie , and is starting to show some Death Seeker tendencies despite suffering from I Cannot Self-Terminate . He flat out tells Laura that for him the best case scenario is a Taking You with Me scenario.
- Lady and Knight : Has some of the dark version with Wren
- Love Makes You Evil : Was starting down this path with Wren. Until Sima manipulated Wren into making Adam kill Patrick
- Mind Control : Wren can take full control over him, and if she gives him an order he has no choice but to follow it. Even using Exact Words takes a physical toll on him
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal : He was in love with Wren, and had she been kind to him it's likely he would have been completely loyal to her
- Now, That's Using Your Teeth! : Takes out an alpha werewolf by turning into a great white shark
- Painful Transformation : Adam no longer appears to even notice pain, he's so used to it
- Required Secondary Powers : Appears to have some of these
- Ship Tease : He and Laura dance and kiss, and he asks her to hold on to his recently acquired Tragic Keepsake for him.
- Spanner in the Works : Ironically, his turning against Wren and Sima may have prevented the Badass Crew from rescuing him from Wren and Sima.
- Throw 'Em to the Wolves : Does this to Sima, with werewolves
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid : He still tries to do the right thing, or as much of the right thing as he can get away with
- Voluntary Shapeshifting : Is unique in that he learns how to do this. It's hinted it's not his actual power though, just a skill he picked up
Former Navy SEAL who joined the Cabal after his brother was killed by vampires. He acts as Adam's mentor.
- Amazon Chaser : Patrick to Stasya
- Back from the Dead: Played with. He's still dead, but he shows up to help Stephan out when Stephan gets stuck on the other side.
- Big Brother Mentor : All but adopts Adam, teaching him how to handle guns, fly helicopters, and appreciate good wine
- The Big Guy : Former Navy SEAL and noted to be large, though he's not the powerhouse in the trio
- Even Mooks Have Loved Ones : He was clearly falling for Stasya, even buying her jewelry
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs : Firm believer in this trope.
- Face of a Thug : Though not considered ugly, Patrick is noted to have one
- Friendly Sniper
- Family of Choice : Formed one with Adam, along with Stasya
- Forgotten Fallen Friend : Averted. His death is still clearly affecting Stasya and Adam.
- Hidden Depths : He's a professional mercenary. He and Adam bond over a love of Impressionist artwork.
- Killed Off for Real : His ghost is hanging around in an afterlife strip joint.
- Professional Killer : As nice a guy as he is when off the clock, on the clock he's world class sniper and took out at least one werewolf.
- Tragic Bromance : Adam and Patrick have shades of one
Sima is a witchwolf with the power to detect lies.
Stasya is a Russian hitwoman who developed a maternal bond with Adam.
- Badass Normal : No magical powers, and is good enough that Ryuu Ishi of all people makes a point of recruiting her.
- Even Mooks Have Loved Ones : It's clear that had Patrick survived to ask her if she wanted to make their relationship official her response would have been yes.
- Gratuitous Russian : Only when she's really off her game, like when she learns the guy she's holding at gunpoint is a dragon
- Heartbroken Badass : Loses the man she was falling in love with and is parted from her surrogate son
- Hitman with a Heart : Positions her apartment so she can keep an eye on Adam's family
- Family of Choice : Formed one with Adam, alongside Patrick
- Femme Fatale : Adam notes that even though she's old enough to be his mother he still caught himself starring when she dressed up
- Ship Tease : Developing an interest in Stephan, though that seems to be in some part due to him acting as Adam's guardian.
- The Only One I Trust : Adam states Stasya is this to him
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill : After treating Wren to a Boom, Headshot! with a special bullet, she throws in an extra Double Tap for good measure
- Laser-Guided Karma : Dishes some out on occasion. Ryuu finds it amusing.
- Mama Bear : Adam's nickname for Stasya. It fits
- Statuesque Stunner
Adam's little sister, and a witch in her own right.
- Admiring the Abomination : Thinks Lykos and Jormun are awesome because they are monsters rather than in spite of them being monsters. She's also dating a werewolf.
- Fluffy Tamer : Befriends Jormungandr the world serpent and nicknames him Santa
- Green Thumb : Her power involves the ability to grow plants
- Jumped at the Call : Eager to use her powers to fight the good fight. Ryuu guides her toward a less flashy but ultimately more useful course of action
- Nature Hero : Assists the dragons with bringing back dryads. Implying that every single member of the most powerful group in the world now owes Coraline a favor.
Adam's adopted mother and the biological mother of Coraline. She now runs a children's museum in Las Vegas.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu? : Has lunch with Ryuu and the two of them seem to have an honest and genuine friendship
- Doing It for the Art : Runs a children's art museum for Ryuu
- Girl Friday : For Ryuu, at least when it comes to artwork. He sends her as his representative and provides her with an unlimited credit card.
- It Runs in the Family : Though she actually has no biological relationship to Adam, it's very clear where he got his love of art.
- Mama Bear: Has to be physically restrained to prevent her from going after the people who've harmed her son.
The adopted father of Adam and the biological father of Coraline. He is an accountant in the employ of Ryuu Ishi.
Truth and Shadows
Diana is an intrepid girl reporter who gets a little more than she bargained for on her first big scoop.
- Admiring the Abomination : Admires the detail Zeke put in when rebuilding Tobias. She also practically coos over Matthias's werewolf form.
- Casual Kink : Engages in a little with Michaels
- Going for the Big Scoop : Manages to land a big interview her first week on the job
- Intrepid Reporter : Newly embarking on a career as one
- Introduction by Hookup : Introduced when Michaels picks her up at a bar almost at random and they end up hitting it off
- Proper Lady : Ezekiel claims the reason he granted her the interview was that of all the requests, hers was the only one that included both 'please' and 'thank you'.
- Secret Keeper : Realizes she can't tell the story she's just been given to anyone. Her acceptance of this definitely seems to be part of why Jormun lets her live.
- Starting a New Life : Hooking up with Michaels was apparently just one of her first stops on the way to this
- Sympathy for the Devil : Is clearly starting to sympathize with Zeke
Ezekiel Veteri / Zeke
Ezekiel used to be a pleasant, mild-mannered inventor, until people made the mistake of driving the scientist mad.
- Affably Evil : He's in jail and everyone is scared of him, but he's very polite to Diana
- Beware the Nice Ones : Has thus far in the story been nothing but a ridiculously nice guy, but it's clear he's in jail for a reason
- Black and Nerdy : And took a lot of crap for it when he was in school
- The Dog Bites Back : Going for a Break the Cutie on a Mad Scientist was probably not the best idea Paden and his friends ever had.
- Gadgeteer Genius : Was an inventor
- Eating the Eye Candy: Gets very distracted when Tobias isn't wearing a shirt.
- FaceHeel Turn : At the point when it happens, it's almost hard to blame him.
- Frame-Up : His Start of Darkness was seeing his lover raped and tortured in front of him, then being convicted of the assault
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope : Though to be fair, it was more like he was pushed.
- Mad Scientist : Tobias jokingly calls him one, but it appears that Zeke actually is witch whose power is to make things work that wouldn't ordinarily.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist : His specific field is never stated, but as he successfully creates a 'cyborg', it's clear he has some medical understanding in addition to electrical engineering and other fields. However, the fact that nobody else can duplicate his work hints that there might be something else going on.
- Safe, Sane, and Consensual : Part of his issues are his guilt at feeling he failed his lover on the 'safe' part by allowing himself to be distracted
- Scary Black Man : By the time Diana meets him he's made himself over into one, possibly as a defense mechanism after going to prison
- Southern-Fried Genius
- Straight Gay
- Then Let Me Be Evil : He tried to do things the right way, but they wouldn't let him.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid : Though currently in jail for murder and obviously considered extremely dangerous, it's clear he used to be a very nice person. Then again, he is the one telling the story.
- What the Hell, Hero? : His quest for revenge results in a lot of collateral damage, including at least one entire office full of people just to send a message.
Tobias was the best friend and lover of Zeke. Whether or not he is still alive/human is a subject for debate
- Armored Closet Gay : Until Zeke became his Closet Key
- Benevolent Boss : Apparently was one, according to various testimonies.
- Cruel and Unusual Death : Diana is getting to know him by interviewing the person apparently responsible for his death
- Cyborg : Zeke didn't kill him. Zeke rebuilt him. Depending on how much of him was replaced, he may be more of a Ridiculously Human Robots
- Dumb Jock : Averted. He reminds Zeke that he sat behind him during the advanced placement classes and can follow along with Zeke's explanations
- FaceHeel Turn: Goes from idealist to terrorist after he is tortured and nearly beaten to death for loving a black man
- Jerk Jock : Admits to being one, but Took a Level in Kindness and grew out of it
- Nice Guy : Granted, the person telling the story is clearly biased, but it seems Tobias was one of these
- Nice to the Waiter : What separates him from the rest of his family
- Omnidisciplinary Lawyer : Specifics aren't given, but it's clear he's handling the business, financial, and legal end of the company and at least at first he's doing it by himself.
- Reformed Bully : Still occasionally threatens to take Zeke's lunch money when Zeke gets just a little too geeky
- Secret Relationship : Asked Zeke to keep their relationship secret
- Southern Gentleman : Is from the south, polite, and from a well to do family
- Uke : At first glance he's the more traditionally masculine of the two, but in their relationship he's the shy and submissive partner.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist : According to Zeke, Tobias really bought into the 'for the betterment of mankind' part of what they were doing
Tomer Kravitz is a history professor who arranges archaeological digs for his grad students and often ends up roped into things mortals would prefer not to even know existed. He has a son named Oren, but his ex-wife has custody.
- Absent-Minded Professor : Only when he's stoned
- Cool Teacher : His students clearly adore him. Apparently, he even babysits for the gang on occasion.
- Erudite Stoner : He's an archaeologist and history professor who gives good advice to Laura and Adam. He also apparently enjoys a spot of marijuana from time to time.
- First-Name Basis : After they get high together, Magda starts calling him Tomer.
- Non-Action Guy : Though he is noted to be a skilled fencer.
- Reasonable Authority Figure : Willing to help out and make sure the weird portions of the gang's lives don't interfere too much with their abilities to get an education.
- Stern Teacher : Doesn't go into this mode often, but when he raises his voice even the likes of Khait tend to shut up and listen.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia : Okay, maybe trauma is a strong word, but a wish by Bridget makes him forget all his interactions with Khait. This is probably a good thing.
- Unfazed Everyman : Takes the insanity surrounding the crew fairly well, given the circumstances
- Weirdness Magnet : Gets kidnapped by Laura and Adam. Has werewolves randomly show up at his house. Khait likes him. The poor guy is doomed.
Khait is an incubus suffering the 'Curse of the Djinn'.
- Ascended Demon : After he nearly committed a heroic sacrifice, his wings changed to become more angelic.
- Been There, Shaped History : Denies having been responsible for the fall of Rome. Blamed that on the dwarves.
- Big Brother Worship: Is moved to tears by the realization that Gabriel is present and not angry at him.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass : It's occasionally easy to forget that this guy is a full on demon
- Curse Escape Clause : Thought he had one, only to discover his new mistress is immune to his powers due to being 100% lesbian
- Even the Guys Want Him : His powers are not limited to working on women. Any man with the slightest bit of bisexuality or homosexuality is just as vulnerable.
- Exposition Fairy : Cares a lot less about maintaining the 'masquerade' than others, so tends to drop a lot of information rather casually during conversation. Given that he is apparently older than the human race, he has a lot of information to drop.
- Fallen Angel : Being a true demon means he was once an angel. He does not like talking about it.
- Fetish : He's an Incubus, who instinctively knows what people want sexually and is generally willing to go along.
- Fish out of Temporal Water : Catches up quickly, but still runs into trouble with the modern world due to having been sealed up for the past five or six centuries.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath : Tosses a guy out of an airplane a couple miles up for hitting on Bridget. Put sharks in a pool to kill a child molester then finished him off with a tiger when that didn't work. Is deeply offended at the low quality of the illegal pot Professor Kravitz is buying and improves it dramatically.
- Kiss of Death : As an incubus, he can apparently drain life energy with a kiss
- Ladykiller in Love : Admits to being in love with Abigail. Also occasionally responds to Bridget bossing him around with a playful 'love you, too'.
- Laser-Guided Karma : He is cursed because he made a dragon very angry with his antics.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When Khait breaks out the wings and glowing eyes, people start dying.
- Noble Demon : Becomes this under the influence of Abigail and Bridget
- Sex Magic : Draws his power from sex and ambient lust
- Summon Magic : It doesn't appear he can actually create anything. He has to teleport it from elsewhere and then can modify it somewhat in the process.
- The Pornomancer : He is an Incubus.
- Pure Magic Being: States there is nothing human in his blood.
- Violently Protective Boyfriend: To both Abigail and Bridget, to the point they have to ask him to tone it down a little.
A grad student of archeology, and the best friend of Bridget.
- Action Girl : Doesn't hesitate to leap into the fray and instead of wringing her hands she picks up a gun and is clearly prepared to use it.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys : Noting how dangerous Khait is tends to just increase her attraction.
- Beware the Nice Ones : Upon learning about Wren, Abigail sums the situation up rather succinctly.Well. She needs to die.
- But I Would Really Enjoy It : Really wants to throw Khait down on the bed but knows it's probably a very bad idea
- Chastity Couple : Tries to be this with Khait. Fails miserably.
- Conveniently Common Kink : Has some dominatrix tendencies that Khait is very willing to indulge
- Even the Girls Want Her : Playfully encourages Bridget's occasional tendency to ogle her.
- Hot Scientist : Grad student archeologist
- Interspecies Romance : Her lover is an Incubus
- Loophole Abuse : Perfectly willing to go around Bridget's rules lawyering to take advantage of the fact Khait is essentially a genie.
- Military Brat : Still has her father's gun and is perfectly willing to use it
- Platonic Life-Partners : She and Bridget have this kind of relationship
- Violently Protective Girlfriend : Not that Khait really needs it, but she is definitely willing to use violence on his behalf.
A grad student of archeology, and Professor Kravitz's TA.
- Above the Influence: Being a lesbian, she's completely immune to Khait's incubus powers.
- Beware the Nice Ones : Sweet, strong sense of ethics, overall nice person, and may have beaten a man to death without hesitation for messing with her friend
- Damsel in Distress : Needs rescue a few times, but it's worth noting that when it ends up being her friends in danger, she goes full on Action Girl Badass Bookworm without hesitation.
- Eating the Eye Candy : Occasionally ogles Abigail. Abigail doesn't mind at all.
- A Friend in Need: She and Khait have a Vitriolic Best Buds sort of relationship but when it matters, they are definitely there for each other. Khait flat out refers to her as his best friend.
- Hot Librarian: Grad student archeologist
- Hypocritical Heartwarming : Bosses Khait around constantly. Gets extremely pissed when anyone else tries it.
- Military Brat: And her parents taught her self defense techniques.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat : Doesn't let Khait get away with much, to his frustration.
- Platonic Life-Partners : With Abigail
- Restraining Bolt : The ring she wears can function as one for Khait, if Bridget wills.
- Rules Lawyer: Sets down some ground rules for Khait. Fifty pages of ground rules.
- Workaholic: Happiest when she has a ton of papers to organize
Possibly the last surviving dwarf in the world.
- Badass Gay :
- Blue and Orange Morality : His ideas on right and wrong don't always mesh with society's.
- Disproportionate Retribution : Surprisingly averted. He's certainly willing, but can be convinced toward mercy
- Last of His Kind : Dwarves are thought to be extinct. It's possible the only reason Lykos survived is he part dragon.
- Lima Syndrome : Becomes very possessive of 'his Christophe' to the point that his rage at Guerin is starting to have more to do with how the man wronged Christophe rather than how Guerin tortured Lykos himself
- Manly Gay
- Men Are Tough : Is quite contemptuous of how 'soft' Christophe is
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same : Averts. He blames pixies for the untrue stereotypes about dwarves
- Terse Talker : Tends to not bother with words he finds unnecessary and is very blunt
- Ultimate Blacksmith: Can work metal and create diamonds with his bare hands. It's likely he's the one that made Greg's armband
A poor young soldier in way over his head.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? : Bordering on Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu. He breaks his hand punching Jormun in the face, but the act clearly won him some respect from the friggin World Serpent himself.
- Distressed Dude : Is taken captive by Lykos and has generally been tied up, handcuffed, or chained ever since
- Happiness in Slavery : Stays with Lykos as much because of this as because he realizes he functions as a Morality Chain to Lykos.
- Nepotism : Received his position because of it and thus ended up in a situation he really wasn't equipped to handle
- Morality Pet : Starts to become this for Lykos. Jormun acknowledges this and even states it's why he recruited Christophe.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man : The sensitive guy to Lykos's definitely macho tendencies
- Stockholm Syndrome : Definitely starting to show signs.
- Took a Level in Badass: In Storm's Mercy he is apparently self-confident enough to have no problem hanging up on Jörmungandr
A grad student of oceanography
- Action Girl: When her friends are in trouble, Natalya is willing to pick up a gun and head back into the fray
- Bad Dreams : The story opens with her having a nightmare about her brother's death
- Beta Couple : She and Phil have an attraction
- Feminine Women Can Cook : Regularly takes over the kitchen
- Granola Girl : Has a penchant for organic and vegan cuisine
- Team Mom : Often acts as this to some of the others, despite being younger than Yala and Greg.
A computer expert specializing in oceanography.
- Beware the Nice Ones : Or at least, don't eat kittens in front of them.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? : Slaps Jormun after learning he lied to them while in his Jim Gordon alias. Borders on Did You Just Romance Cthulhu? because it's clear half her motivation was because he'd been flirting with her.
- Genius Cripple : Is in a wheelchair, but clearly has brains
- Girl Friday : Operates as Jormun's right hand, clearly with his complete trust. It's not stated if this relationship started before or after they began sleeping together. There are a few occasions that make it clear she can speak with the full weight of his authority.
- The Idealist : She believes in and supports Jormun
- The Ingenue : Her father is a congressman and she is clearly upper class.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover : Absolutely terrifies Yalathanil upon learning he mistakenly planned to eat the kitten he'd acquired.
- The Power of Friendship : Refuses to leave Jormun's side, as she believes it is vital that he remember he has friends and allies.
- Ship Tease : With Jormun Wotan, aka Jörmungandr aka the World Serpent aka the Harbinger of Ragnarök.
- Silk Hiding Steel : Though she is not an Action Girl, she has picked up a weapon and she held her own against Yalathanil and Jormun by sheer force of personality.
- Throwing Off the Disability : As soon as Yalathanil understands why she's in a wheelchair, he fixes her spine and restores her ability to walk.
- They Do : Marries Jormun
- Wheelchair Woobie : Quick to not hold Natalya responsible for Adele being in the wheelchair
A former Navy diver
- All-Loving Hero : Risks his reputation to help Natalya, arranges the rescue of Yalathanil, and doesn't hesitate to take a bullet for Jim Gordon
- Badass Normal : Was in the Navy, and is capable of taking out trained mercenaries using a stealth kill
- Big Brother Instinct: Natalya and Adele aren't actually his sisters, but he's overprotective of them anyway
- Distressed Dude: Gets shot in the stomach and taken hostage
- Empowered Badass Normal: Jormun gives him an armband that lets him take on the properties of a merfolk
- Friend to All Living Things : Animals instinctively trust him, and he is the first to be able to approach Yalathanil safely
- Interspecies Romance: He and Yalathanil definitely have something
- Nature Lover : Is a diver and lives on a boat
- Reluctant Warrior : While he is willing to kill to defend his friends, he's not happy about it. He is, however, good at it.
- Because You Were Nice to Me : Heals Adele, giving her the ability to walk again
- Escaped from the Lab : Rescued, actually.
- Fish out of Water : Almost literally. He can make himself look human, but has to rely on his companions to guide him through the surface world due to his complete lack of experience.
- Healing Hands : The healing properties seem to be in his blood, but also require effort from him that manifests in laying on hands in order to work properly.
- Interspecies Romance: He is clearly attracted to Greg and a little possessive of him
- Our Mermaids Are Different: He's apparently a shapeshifter. And carnivorous.
- Shark Man : Xue states Yalathanil's eyes are 'sharklike'.
- Distressed Dude : Technically, he's been kidnapped by the group and is their hostage
- Fair Cop : Though it's not his appearance that is attracting Natalya, but the fact that he's a good guy willing to do the right thing.
- Fire-Forged Friends : It doesn't take long for him to end up an ally of the party, and he is clearly attracted to Natalya.
- Holding Hands : After Natalya awkwardly expresses her attraction to him, it's not uncommon to find him holding her hand.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's a lot stronger and tougher than he looks and acts, and capable of going into a psychotic, animalistic rage that puts him at the same level as a werewolf despite no actual shape-change occurring.
- Despair Event Horizon : Was driven past it during his captivity to the point of going mad. Fortunately for him, he doesn't remember.
- Distressed Dude : Spent six years as the prisoner of a monster
- Half-Human Hybrid : Due to what the Rusalka did to him, he is no longer a human but a form of hybrid called a 'merrow'.
- Nice Guy : Despite his horrific experiences with the supernatural, he's genuine in mentoring Luis and very kind to Cyraeneus.
- Only Sane Man : Is one of the few to express discomfort at the supernatural around him, even though he is technically supernatural himself. And quite possibly suffers from a split personality
- Papa Wolf : Mess with his little girl and he will impale you on a tree with your own spear
- The Smart Guy : Valuable to Mbaba because of his brains, and tapped to lead a research team when even she doesn't know what is going on.
- Adorable Abomination: Especially to her daddy, though it becomes clear her grandpa dotes on her as well.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Her species is believed to be this, but thus far Katya seems to be an exception.
- Combat Tentacles : She also uses them to control puppets to entertain her friends
- Cutemonster Girl : Quick to show off her pretty new clothes
- Daddy's Girl: And if you mess with her daddy, she'll quite happily eat your face
- Half-Human Hybrid : Actually isn't human at all despite having a human father, due to the alterations made to Viktor. She's actually a merfolk dragon hybrid
- Lovecraftian Superpower : Squidlike little monster who can bring on the nightmare fuel when she puts her mind to it. Or when she gets hungry.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting : Can switch between forms with ease, even using aspects of one form while in another
- Above Good and Evil : If you take Magda at her word, he's something akin to this.
- Bystander Syndrome : Very reluctant to get directly involved in pretty much anything.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?
- Divine Date : At one point, he and Magda had some sort of fling. Details aren't given, but it's clear they remain fond of each other even if Magda remains cautious around him.
- Divine Intervention : Has taken an interest in Adam's situation and the talisman. He does not explain why other than to state that he made a terrible mistake.
- The Don : Michaels notes that he has a sort of 'Godfather' vibe to him despite appearing to be Japanese.
- The Dreaded : Dragons are clearly this. Even Erilon is intimidated.Erilon: when a dragon invites you to dinner, you show up. On time, properly attired, and with a bottle of good wine.Matthias: And praying you arent the main course
- The Man Behind the Man : Hinted to be this in a lot of places. The Marvel vs DC fandom wars are said to be a result of him having a friendly competition with his wife.
- Nature Is Not Nice : Magda calls dragons a force of nature. While thus far in the story he has been nothing but kind and polite, he was apparently responsible for the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens.
- Noodle Incident : Once set Matthias on fire and instructs Matthias to keep out of his city. It's likely the only reason Matthias survived said incident is Magda and Ryuu happen to be old friends.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse : Though what he offers the Wu family is clearly this, it seems rather benevolent
- Our Dragons Are Different : He convinces Sean that magic exists by simply taking his true form, revealing himself to be an eastern style dragon with golden scales.
- Adorkable : A disapproving look from Mbaba can turn him into a bashful child.
- Affably Evil : Actively supports a terrorist and arms nuclear warheads to make a point, but is kind and a bit protective toward Coraline and goes out of his way to replace Diana's scarf after accidentally destroying it.
- Ambiguously Evil : Intentionally recruits a morality chain, but refers to himself as a reckoning and talks about the apocalypse.
- Asskicking Equals Authority : He's a dragon
- Been There, Shaped History : May actually have been responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire.
- Black and Gray Morality : Seems to have this kind of outlook, especially compared to the other dragons. He's far more willing to get his hands dirty and take direct action.
- Bullying a Dragon : Guerin mouths off to him not quite realizing just who he is dealing with. Matthias later does the same thing. Jormun seems to find it amusing.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu? : Is very nice to Coraline during their brief meeting. He also asks Adele for her number while in his Jim Gordon alias.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones : He takes a lot of risks and breaks some rules to help Lykos. While he clearly did want to recruit Lykos, it's worth noting that Lykos is also his grandson and Jormun handled the situation personally when he likely has plenty of mooks he could have sent in his place. He also proves to be extremely protective of Mbaba despite the fact that she is more powerful than he is.
- Even Evil Has Standards : Finds the KKK offensive and clearly supports Zeke setting bombs at their meetings. He is also clearly angry about the idea of Christophe being brainwashed.
- Hidden Agenda Villain : He is clearly up to something, but whether he is actually villainous is still questionable
- Memetic Badass : He's Jörmungandr the World Serpent, harbinger of Ragnarök
- Nephilim : He is apparently this, rather than a true dragon. According to Khait, Jormun's mother was an elf.
- Ship Tease : He claims he rescued Viktor as an apology to Natalya, but there are definitely some hints he did it more to impress Adele. It apparently worked.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist : Thus far his motives seem benevolent. It's his methods that are questionable.
- Affably Evil : He and Ryuu banter with each other and there is no indication that they aren't actually genuine friends.
- The Dreaded: Upon learning who they may be facing, Khait suggests finding a deep hole and pulling it in after them.
- Evil Mentor : To Wren, who is already Drunk on the Dark Side
- Historical Villain Upgrade : Merlin is a dragon, one of the primordial forces of magic.
- Mythology Upgrade : He's THAT Merlin
- Mysterious Employer: Secretly runs the Cabal, a fact known only to the highest ranking members and a few of the beings old enough to have been around for most of history (such as Khait).
- Our Dragons Are Different : He seems to be the most powerful of the dragons.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Despite being the most powerful dragon, he works behind the scenes via the Cabal rather than call attention to himself with overt displays of power.
- Reasonable Authority Figure : Mbaba doesn't have to try very hard to convince him to back her on the issue of Viktor and Katya. In fact, he does most of the work for her.
- The Dreaded: Noted as being the most violent and bloodthirsty of the dragons
- Kick the Dog: Rips out the throat of an innocent woman, and stabs Ted.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain! : Stabbing Gabriel's boyfriend was not the smartest thing he ever did.
- Token Evil Teammate: At one point in history, he demanded human sacrifices.
- Divine Parentage : She is Yalathanil's grandmother. Interestingly enough, she also refers to Jormun as 'child'.
- Good Is Not Soft: Comes to the rescue and speaks gently, but also lays out some hard truths and is a force to be reckoned with
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have! : Manifests as a beautiful African woman that is definitely Older Than They Look
- Lady and Knight : May be the lady to Jormun's knight.
- Mama Bear: Shows these tendencies to Yalathanil. Incidentally, she also shows a bit of it towards Jormun.
- Shipper on Deck : Played with. She clearly doesn't disapprove of the relationship between Greg and Yalathanil, she just confronts them with the hard truth that they are ultimately incompatible and tells them to treasure what time they do have together.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands the same height as Jormun
- Threatening Mediator : Clearly more powerful than Jormun, but less inclined toward violence.