Alice has a problem. She's recently realized that she gets really, really excited from waxing cucumbers. But who on Earth would share a fetish for applying a shiny glaze to vegetables? Surely Alice will have to keep this desire a deep, dark secret.
Surprise! It's been Bob's life-long ambition to become a full-time cucumber waxer, he just never found anyone he could share it with. And Alice and Bob live in total gratification ever after, or at least for the duration of the story.
A staple of erotic fiction: love is never having to explain your fantasies, whoever you choose for a partner will happen to share them (or at least be really receptive), regardless of how unlikely this is or in what situation you present them. Some stories make angsting over this a plot point; most don't try.
- Omujo Omutsu Joshi:
- Dramatic Irony is used to play with this trope. Male lead Shouta wonders if wearing diapers is becoming some kind of schoolgirl trend after he meets Ichigo, a Shrinking Violet who wears diapers because she wets herself when she gets nervous, and learns that Morei, a girl who's loved him since grade school, has a diaper fetish. The irony is that Morei doesn't have a fetish but, after witnessing an Accidental Pervert moment between him and Ichigo, thinks Shouta does and wants to use that to get closer to him. Morei's inability to explain this properly causes Shouta to interpret what she meant as a love confession as something else entirely without her realizing.
- Later, Muni Nunota makes exactly the same assumption Morei did for exactly the same reason. The difference is that she actually is a fetishist, making this a straighter version of the trope as she's excited at the prospect of including Shouta and, later, Morei, in her play.
- In a quick throwaway scene in Transmetropolitan, a woman stops by a man who's sitting on the ground, crying his eyes out, to ask him what's wrong. He tearfully explains that he doesn't have any friends- because he keeps eating them. To his delight, she says "Me too." Then she asks him whether he's hungry.note
- Wonder Woman Vol 1: Under the pen of their creator, William Moulton Marston, Diana and Steve Trevor are both inordinately pleased about getting tied up consensually and are into "loving submission". As the book was being published in the 1940s and was aimed at children, the sexual connotations are never directly addressed. And given Marston's personal preferences, pretty much every heroic character given any characterization is fond of "loving submission to women".
- In one iCarly fanfic, iFight Crime With Victorious, Carly gets to use a different power, superhuman strength, and gets excited from being able to defend herself rather than relying on Sam all the time. Nearly every character with superhuman strength reveals at some point that they get off on being so strong as well.
- Strangely, a freakishly large amount of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lemon/Smut fics are BDSM or bondage or something along the lines of that. And everyone involved, whether Joyce, Willow or anyone else is into it - though, to be fair, no Buffy character ever passed up an opportunity to comment on the kinky potential of chains, Joyce included, so there's at least some evidence here. Less justifiable are Crack Ship options such as Buffy/Dawn getting the same treatment.
- There is one story where the kinks were shared by an entire, apparently bisexual, household of newly activated Slayers, Willow, Dawn, Buffy, Xander, Faith and the neighbors, who, when it comes to the female ones, including an underage girl, were also apparently all bi. Everyone Is Bi to a new level. The kinks: Humiliation, spanking, BDSM, public nudity, lesbian incest between sisters and groping.
- Played with in Cup of Tea as Phoenix was extremely intimated by Kristoph's interest in hardcore BDSM and only got into for his lover's sake. Phoenix comes to enjoy it but by that time the romantic aspect of their relationship is gone.
- Zigzagged with Phoenix and Edgeworth. Edgeworth is disgusted when he found out and Phoenix doesn't expect for him to try as he would rather have an emotionally fulfilling relationship than force him into something he doesn't want. Edgeworth does gradually get into it because he likes the act of Phoenix getting pleasure as opposed to liking BDSM itself.
- Discussed in Maleficent fanfic Your Servant Mistress - it is mentioned that dominant women are rare, and Diaval is mistaken for dominant, while he's actually submissive. Of course, Maleficent has a fetish for dominating men.
- Inverted in a Harry Potter fanfic where a Crack Pairing who would otherwise have nothing in common gets together because they discover their respective kinks for wearing silk stockings and touching silk stockings worn by someone else fit together nicely.
- Played straight with most Hurog one true threesome fanfic - complementing the Ho Yay between Oreg and Ward, the woman involved will be a Yaoi Fangirl and share her man if she's allowed to watch.
- In TMI (a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic sex comedy), a game of Truth Or Dare leads Twilight to confess to her friends that she has a thing for interspecies porn. Rarity—who's already painted as a zebra because of an earlier Dare from the same game—reveals that she has a thing for costumes and elaborate roleplaying, and asks if Twi is up for a little "rumble in the jungle". Then in the sequel, TMI 2: The Rainbow Connection, Rainbow Dash realizes she has a fetish about being a Badass in Distress, so she asks if Twilight and Rarity would roleplay as hostile natives and take her captive. (In part three, the answer is yes, and actual porn ensues.)
- The Dark Fic, possible Troll Fic Pattycakes (Another My Little Pony fanfiction) has everypony in Ponyville into age play, being willing to take a drug that'll reduce their mind to an infintile state temporarily, even Rarity of all ponies is into this sort of thing! The only ponies opposed to it are Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash, but with the latter, she has it forced on her and eventually has her mind permanently regressed into a fully-grown foal.
- Code Geass: The Prepared Rebellion: Kaguya has a cuckquean fetish and happens to be infatuated with Zero, who has two different mistresses at the time, and is liable to gain several more. C.C. even lampshades that the best way for Lelouch to keep Kaguya happy would be to marry her then continuously have sex with other women in front of her.
- Fat Slags goes a step further. While the title characters are in London, they don't just happen to meet a Chubby Chaser. Instead, a mega-rich media mogul gets hit in the head, suffers a change of personality and "coincidentally" becomes a Chubby Chaser.
- Subverted in Pennies from Heaven, where the wife finally goes along with the main character's fetish (lipsticked nipples) in such a way that it practically plays as a rape scene. The incident signifies the extreme dysfunction of the marriage, and is a contributing cause of all kinds of ugly consequences.
- Parodied in Not Another Teen Movie, when Catherine laments that she's never had a guy take a dump on her chest. A teenaged boy proclaims, "That's appalling! I can't believe no one's ever taken a dump on your chest."
- In Secretary, Maggie Gyllenhaal wants to be a submissive. She works for James Spader, who wants to be a dominant. Coitus Ensues.
- Honor Harrington:
- Surprisingly happens to (of all people, really) ultimate badass Victor Cachat. After he got himself a girlfriend at last, after all those years of being a Celibate Hero, he kinda snaps and heaps all his pent-up frustration (they've also got a serious argument just before) on her when they finally found the time to do the horizontal mambo, and wallows in misery and self-guilt afterwards. To his astonishment, Thandi just so happened to be into SM, and actually wanted it more. hilarity ensued indeed — the teasing poor Victor received from her and his self-appointed Cool Big Sis Ginny Usher made him "dark and utterly miserable".
- In addition to poor Victor, there was the collision resulting from the meeting of Thandi's Amazon Brigade of genetically-engineered mercenaries/terrorists with the genetically-engineered former slaves/terrorists/freedom fighters of Jeremy X. Two groups of hardened killers finding their (metaphorical) Opposite-Sex Clone, and stuff happens.
- The YA novel Flipsidenote provides a non-pornographic example. The main thrust of the story, so to speak, is the coming of age of a Wholesome Crossdresser, and it just so happens that the girl he's been lusting after for years becomes attracted to him when he's in a dress.
- There's a book called the Best Case Scenario Handbook (a parody of the Worst Case Scenario one) that includes an example of these among various examples of extreme cases of good fortune. It's to the effect of someone's wife or girlfriend confessing to an interest in an unidentified sexual act that happened to be that guy's hidden fetish.
- John Ringo's A Deeper Blue has Mike Jenkins enjoy serious BDSM games, and Anastasia is a serious pain submissive. One of their favorite games is him trying to get some information from her: "I never did find out that cookie recipe".
- Subverted in Sex and the City, where the protagonist wrestles with herself over whether to indulge her date's urination fetish. She offers him compromises ("we could use warm tea..."), but is rebuffed.
- Played straight when Miranda's boyfriend likes to talk dirty during sex. At first she is reluctant to do so, as he urges her to talk dirty. Then she starts to like it.
- A subversion from Scrubs: Elliot finally breaks down her boyfriend's resistance, and gets him to tell her (off-screen) what his sexual fantasy is. She instantly flees in horrified disgust. All the audience learns is that it doesn't involve chains, whips, candle wax, role-playing, lasers, hamsters, or Mexican apple thieves.
- This from Coupling:
Sally: How is this ever going to work?(Beat)
- First averted, then played straight on Seinfeld. George develops a fetish for eating during sex. His Girl of the Week as of the start of the episode was squicked, and they broke up. However, in a later scene from the same episode, he meets a woman who is similarly aroused and wants to do it with him.
George: Is...that pastrami?Vivian: Yes, it is...I find it to be the most sensual of the salted cured meats. Hungry?George: Very.
- A G-rated version appeared once on Sesame Street of all places! In a live-action fairy tale scenario, a prince is wooing on a princess from a different kingdom, and mentions that the princess he marries must be able to fix a sink. Luckily (or conveniently), the princess says that she's the best sink-fixer in her kingdom; she even holds up a wrench as she says this!
- In Blackadder II, Bob/Kate tells Lord Flashheart that she can't run away with him in her wedding gown because she's realized she prefers wearing boy's clothes. Flash responds "Weird. I always feel more comfy in a dress!" So they swap outfits and then run away together.
- Steven Wright once recounted a tale in which he boarded a bus and met a nymphomaniac who's into Jewish cowboys. After she explained her problem to him, Steven introduced himself as "Bucky Goldstein". Lewis Grizzard also told a variation of it occurring on a train, and the fellow introducing himself to the nympho with the line, "Hopalong Ginsberg, at your service".
- Louis CK once told a joke about going out with a girl who had a rape fetish, they made out but never had sex because she stopped his advances. Later, when she asked him why they didn't have sex he said "because I thought you didn't want to." She then told him she enjoys when a guy "just holds me down and fucks me!" Played straight when Louie informs her "oh, you should have told me, I would have happily done that for you." Then subverted when the girl tells him it has to be forced to feel real and dangerous, to which he responds "I'm not gunna rape you on the off chance that you're into that shit!"
- Subverted in this Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. The lovers share interests in BDSM and feet, but then the lady reveals that she has a fetish for armadillos, which weirds the guy out. Then it's revealed that the scenario was a "realistic sex book for kids" to teach them that this trope does not apply in real life.
- Collar 6: The entire world is apparently into BDSM. The start of the divergent history of this world was an ancient (as in, Roman or earlier) discovery of Atlantis, and how they had perfected a lifestyle/society/government that combined BDSM with spirituality in such a way that it led to world peace and sexual-lifestyle-based Ki Manipulation. The few areas of the world that didn't ascribe to this are referred to as "Puritan".
- El Goonish Shive:
- The Basitins in TwoKinds have a Word of God-supported species-wide foot fetish. Considering how sexually repressed they are, unwrapped feet can stop a room full of Eastern Basitins with ease.
- In spite of clothes being a cultural option in Bittersweet Candy Bowl, if you wear clothes and show your undergarments, things can get interesting.
- There are a lot of BDSM practitioners in Sunstone. Largely justified, though, as they all either met each other through the scene or entered the scene due to meeting each other.
- "My miniature stallion". For people who don't want to actually see it, it's 2 people discussing on camera how they found true love and got married over their shared love of being fucked by small horses.
- The furry propensity towards these was deconstructed in these three stories. In each story, a character gets their hands on a latex transformative goo that just happens to be their fetish. Respectively, the substance makes the potential host think they have a fetish for it, it's actually a weapon to kill the addressee and everyone else in the house, and the host is a mentally unstable man having a psychotic break who thinks he's in one of the porn stories he reads.
- In gay transformation fetish stories, an awful lot of the men/boys transformed just happen to have undeclared crushes on their male friend who is usually transformed along with them. The friend, if they don't like dudes already, starts to by the end of the transformation.
- When couples in a TF story want to "try something new", and one of them picks something up from The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday, their partner never finds it too odd to indulge in. For that matter, the partner who bought the transformative MacGuffin is never squicked out by it when the salesperson shows it to them.
- One of the hosts of the ageplay-based Big Little Podcast episode about communication tells a story about a man he used to chat with who had a diaper fetish but, due to growing up in the 40s and 50s kept it as secret as possible. He revealed it to his wife only once they were in their 60s and the kids were all out of the house only for her to reveal her own stash of the exact same fetish items.
- In The Nostalgia Chick's review of Sleepy Hollow (1999), she plays the scene where Katrina sees the weird marks on Ichabod's hands and just smiles at him. The Chick jokes that this must be the first time she found someone who fits her weirdly specific fetish.
- From Cracked's "9 Strangest Episodes in the History of Power Rangers:"
"Also, the summary of the episode describes what happens to Tori, the Blue Ranger, as being 'bound to a cactus,' so if that happens to be your exact fetish (and this is the Internet, so it is), get ready for a good time."
- Family Guy plays this for laughs, of course, by showing a couple that remains happily married, because one has the perfect fetish for the other.
Asian Reporter Tricia Takanawa: Tom, I'm standing in the bedroom of Judy and Glen Isaacs. 10 years married and still in love. What's their secret? Judy has an inoperable brain tumor the size of my fist, and that just happens to be Glen's fetish.