WARNING: SPOILERS FOR Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Cup of Tea is a Ace Attorney oneshot by pantswarrior. Its premise is that Phoenix and Edgeworth finally get back together after the events of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, Phoenix has trouble ...performing. Edgeworth at first thinks it was the result of Phoenix drinking too much wine, only to find out that it's a part of a bigger problem.
- Bondage Is Bad: Kristoph is into BDSM, knifeplay and waxplay, is an inconsiderate dom and is far from being a good person.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Deconstructed; Edgeworth planned a romantic night with candlelight and wine, only for it to be foiled by Phoenix drinking too much and seemingly becoming too drunk to get physically aroused.
- Casual Kink: Averted; Phoenix's and Kristoph's interest in hardcore BDSM is treated as pretty unusual, and it's initially met with disgust on Edgeworth's part when Phoenix ends up having to tell him.
- Conveniently Common Kink:
- Played with; Phoenix was extremely intimidated by Kristoph's interest in hardcore BDSM and only got into for his "lover"'s sake. Phoenix comes to enjoy it, but by that time the romantic aspect of their relationship is long gone.
- Zigzagged with Phoenix and Edgeworth. Edgeworth is initially disgusted after finding out about Phoenix's interest in BDSM, and Phoenix doesn't expect for him to try as he would rather have an emotionally fulfilling relationship than force him into something he doesn't want.
- Covered with Scars: Phoenix has multiple scars from his knifeplay sessions with Kristoph.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Averted, then played straight; despite both being good people, Edgeworth and Phoenix have very unsatisfying sex. It takes a lot of open communication, compromise and a gentle opening of sexual horizons before they can truly make love.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: The central conflict of the story is that Phoenix can't get aroused; at first Edgeworth thought it was the liquor only for it to become a recurring problem in their sexual relationship. Unlike most men in this trope, Phoenix is still a good lover despite it and it bothers Edgeworth that he can't reciprocate.
- More Than Mind Control: Phoenix was initially terrified of BDSM and Kristoph, but since Kristoph was the only person who stood by him he just tolerated it. Eventually the pain and pleasure from it caused Phoenix to crave it even after their relationship soured.
- Relationship Upgrade: Phoenix and Edgeworth have rekindled their relationship before the beginning of the fic.
- Safe, Sane, and Consensual: Unlike Kristoph, Phoenix does not force Edgeworth into anything. Edgeworth himself decides to do his own research and only does it after establishing clear boundaries and precautions.
- Slash Fic: The pairing is Phoenix/Edgeworth, with the past paring of Phoenix/Kristoph being a major element.