Margolit Ruth "Maggie" Gyllenhaal is an American actress born November 16, 1977 in Manhattan, New York, and best known for her performance in Secretary, as well as such movies as The Dark Knight, Stranger Than Fiction, Cecil B. Demented, and playing sister to her real life brother, Jake, in Donnie Darko.
Incidentally, she's technically a member of the Swedish nobility (the Gyllenhaals date back to 1652).
She married Peter Sarsgaard in 2009.
This actress' work provides examples of:
- Converted Fanboy: Not originally a comic book fan, but became a convert once Batman swooped in to save her from falling off a skyscraper.
- Fake Brit: She pulls off a great English accent in The Honourable Woman.
- Hollywood Old: In 2015, the 37-year-old actress was turned down for a role as the love interest... to a 55-year-old actor.
- The Other Darrin: Replaces Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
- Real-Life Relative: She and brother Jake played siblings in Donnie Darko. They both also appeared in two films directed by their father in A Dangerous Woman and Homegrown.
- Star-Making Role: Secretary. Her memorable performance as a sadomasochistic secretary got her a Golden Globe nomination.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's 5'9"