Margolit Ruth "Maggie" Gyllenhaal (born November 16, 1977 in Manhattan, New York) is an American actress and filmmaker.
She's best known for her performances in Secretary, The Dark Knight, Stranger Than Fiction, Cecil B. Demented, and for playing sister to her real life brother, Jake, in Donnie Darko. She has one Oscar nomination, for Best Supporting Actress for Crazy Heart. She made her directing debut in 2021 with The Lost Daughter.
This actress' work provides examples of:
- Converted Fanboy: Not originally a comic book fan, but became a convert once Batman swooped in to save her from falling off a skyscraper.
- Fake Brit: She pulls off a great English accent in The Honourable Woman.
- Hollywood Old: In 2015, the 37-year-old actress was turned down for a role as the love interest... to a 55-year-old actor.
- The Other Darrin: She replaced Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight after Batman Begins.
- Real-Life Relative: She and brother Jake played siblings in Donnie Darko. They both also appeared in two films directed by their father in A Dangerous Woman and Homegrown.
- Star-Making Role: Secretary. Her memorable performance as a sadomasochistic secretary got her a Golden Globe nomination.