Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell: Would it have made a difference?
Charlie: Not in the ladies' room, no.
Sometimes characters just need to get laid, no strings attached. Sometimes the strings get tangled up in their feet when they're not paying attention. This trope covers instances of a one-night stand followed by awkwardness when one participant encounters the other in an unrelated context the next morning. Frequently said context is at work, where the other party is the new guy (for extra awkwardness, s/he is the first character's supervisor). Of course, intercourse need not be involved, it's just that it usually is.
Subtrope of Pre-Meeting.
- Happens in the beginning of Guilty Love, where Nina sleeps with a random woman she meets in the bar—only to discover the next morning that the woman, Mayu, is her daughter's preschool teacher.
- In the ecchi anime OAV based on the equally ecchi manga Cinderella Express, Yuuji Shimano is on the train to his wedding location when a hooker hired by his buddies stops by the private compartment to give him a little fun. She gets off the station before he does and he thinks he'll never see her again. She is, in fact, his new sister-in-law who is moving into the same apartment building.
- In ...Virgin Love, the protagonists meet each other at work a few weeks after their one night stand, leading to an ongoing relationship.
- In Domestic Girlfriend Natsuo loses his virginity to Rui, a girl he meets at a mixer party in a one night stand, only to discover that Rui and her sister Hina (his crush and teacher) are his new step sisters later that week.
- In the first issue of Sex Criminals, Suzie and Jon meet at a party she's throwing to raise funds to save her local library. One thing leads to another, and they find out they have the same ability.
- Kalash 93 did this with Haye and Klee.
- They first met in Welcome to the Brothel because Haye went to a brothel in order to lose his virginity.
- In the related story, Relax, it turns out that he's been seeing her as a regular client for some time now, and their relationship has grown beyond just purely mercantile sex, with a surprising amount of warmth and affection having developed between the two.
- In Racer and the Geek, they're Happily Married.
- In chapter three of Bait and Switch Eleya picks up another Bajoran by the name of Gaarra while having dinner and a cocktail at Quark's. The next morning she walks into her ready room to meet her new ops officer and it out to be the same guy, full name and title Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra. She tries to keep a lid on it but her first officer figures it out right away anyway.
- There's a NSFW Legend of Korra modern day AU fan comic where Korra and Asami hook up at a club and... well, it's NSFW, so yeah. The next morning Asami rushes to her college classes and guess who the professor is? It's Korra! Asami slyly uses their hook up to avoid getting in trouble with her flustered professor.
- Top Gun: The evening following orientation Maverick seduces a blonde named Charlotte Blackwood in the ladies room at a local bar. Next morning he and Goose head out to the tarmac for a pre-exercise briefing and discover that the blonde, "callsign 'Charlie'", is an astrophysicist and civilian Top Gun instructor. They eventually end up as the film's Official Couple.
- Incredibly awkward in Old School. Mitch hooks up with a girl who turns out to be his boss's daughter. And she's still in high school. Then she shows up later while he's in the middle of a date.
- Downplayed in the film of Logan's Run. Logan was looking for a hookup on the city's "circuit" (pretty much a Zeerust Tinder), and ends up summoning Jessica to his apartment. Jessica apologizes, since she was looking for solace and not necessarily sex (one of her friends reached age 30 and was killed), and definitely not a roll in the hay with one of the enforcement agents for said death-at-30 law. Logan sees her out, but they meet later when he's looking for information on the Runner's movement she belongs to.
- Early in Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff, Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr discovers that the di'Taykan she went to bed with the previous night is actually her platoon's new second lieutenant whom she was supposed to meet in the morning. In this case the awkwardness is only during the briefing and entirely on Torin's end: Taykans are hardly puritanical about sex and they have no trouble working together thereafter.
- Heroics: This is how Casey and Zach met, according to Word of God.
- Grey's Anatomy:
- This is how Meredith meets Derek. The day before Meredith starts her new job as a surgical intern she has a one night stand. The next day she finds out he works as an attending at the same hospital.
- Also happens a bit later on when Meredith has a one-night stand with a man who later came to the hospital the next day as a patient suffering from priapism (a medical condition in which an erection lasts much longer than normal).
- In Pepper Dennis, the title character, a TV news reporter, finds out in the first episode that the man she had a one-night stand with is the new anchor for her station. Critics noted that ''Grey's Anatomy'' had done a similar plot the previous year.
- In Inspector Rex, Marc Hoffman and Nikki Herzog have a one-night stand the morning before they start their new jobs. The next morning, they not only discover that they are both police officers, but they are now partners.
- In an episode of Bones Brennan has a one night stand with her former college professor who has just come to town. The next day she discovers that he's the forensic anthropologist that the defense has hired for a trial she's testifying at.
- In The Teaser of the Blue Bloods episode "Righting Wrongs" Erin loses a bet with Linda and has to take a speed-dating session. One of the guys at the session later turns out to be the defense in her latest case. After everything's resolved, he asks her out.
- The Quantico pilot has Alex Parrish meet Ryan Booth on a plane to Washington. After getting off the plane they have a quickie in his car. Six hours later they run into each other while taking the oath at the FBI Academy in Quantico. Cue awkwardness.