Characters that appears in Dark Gathering
Contains unmarked spoilers!
The main characters
Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki
Keitarou Gentouga is a first year college student, born with the ability to sense ghosts, as well as being Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious. After an incident two years ago, he became cursed to have nerves grow out of his right hand, which he has to regularly get surgically removed to prevent it from hurting him. Due to this incident also causing his Childhood Friend Eiko to be cursed, he shuts himself away in his room, believing he would bring disaster for others. After being convinced by Eiko that he could lead a normal life, he studied hard to enter college along with her. To get back his social skills, Eiko suggests becoming a tutor to gain confidence, not knowing it was a plot to make him work together with Yayoi on her mission.
- The Ace: He is the top scorer in his college's entrance exams, which considering Eiko represented Japan in the Informatic Olympiad, means he's even smarter than she was.
- Action Survivor: Besides his sensing ability, he is pretty much a normal human, barely surviving against multiple mass-murdering ghosts all aiming to eat him.
- All-Loving Hero: He often expresses sympathy towards ghosts when he sees their past through his powers, even after they tried killing him.
- Always Save the Girl: He vows to protect Eiko and stay by her side, as well as Yayoi, who he promises to join in on her mission for as long as she desires and fight along side her.
- Audience Surrogate: Being an otherwise average person, he is the one who gets delivered the exposition on how ghosts work.
- The Bait: His primary role. Since he's the target for the ghosts most of the time, his role is to draw the ghost out and use the items Yayoi gave him for self-defense to survive until Yayoi figures out a plan for capture.
- Big Brother Instinct: In spite of his fear of ghosts, when he hears Yayoi is endangering herself to find a way to break his curse, he uses himself as bait so that Yayoi could escape.
- Blessed with Suck: His sensing abilities means he can usually avoid any haunted spot and detect the presence of ghosts nearby, which allows him to warn others. However, those with spiritual abilities are those who are usually targeted by ghosts in the first place, and Keitarou is exceptional where it's a 100% certainty he would meet one in a haunted spot, where it's one third of a chance for Yayoi and even lesser for normal humans.
- Body Horror: Has nerves growing out his right arm that needs to be regularly removed.
- Born Unlucky: He was born with his powers, only surviving to adulthood because of his grandmother's advice. Even on a random social gathering with zero involvement from Yayoi, he still nearly got killed by a ghost.
- Childhood Friends: He's been friends with Eiko since elementary school.
- Corrupt the Cutie: When Eiko saw Nakiri expressed similar emotions to what she felt towards Keitarou, she encourages the latter to look for her advice, interested in teaching her about her fetish.
- The Dulcinea Effect: He is willing to risk his life to help Ai, the student he was tutoring for a few hours at best.
- Extreme Doormat: At the start, he was dragged along by Yayoi and Eiko, not being able to refuse because he was worried about their safety.
- Eye Scream: Nearly suffers this by the spirit of the old F tunnel, only avoided because the substitute doll took the damage.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Wants nothing to do with ghosts and don't want danger to befall the people around him, but realizes that he wants to lead a normal life, he has to know how to defend it, because ghosts aren't going anywhere and he's going to meet one whether he likes it or not.
- Lovable Coward: Coward is a bit much, considering how scary the ghosts can be, but relative to his companions, he seems gutless, yet still joins them anyway to protect them.
- My Greatest Failure: Involving Eiko in the incident that led to him being cursed. His primary motivation to help Yayoi is to find a way to get rid of said curse.
- Na´ve Newcomer: To the world of ghosts. He avoids haunted spots as much as possible and protects himself by advice from his grandmother, the owner of a shrine.
- Non-Action Guy: His role is to support Yayoi by baiting the ghosts and gather information, with the combat role being given to Yayoi.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Despite having his face in "Eiko's" rather sizable bosom, he was able to realize it isn't Eiko and was more creeped out if anything.
- No Social Skills: Keitarou social skills deteriorated when he became a shut-in, being awkward when he needs to converse with strangers his age.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Keitarou was briefly caught in the Demon Sergeant's curse and ended up looking like he didn't eat for a week.
- Official Couple: He gets together with Eiko pretty early on in the story.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to Creepy Child Yayoi and Yandere Nightmare Fetishist Eiko, he's the only one who is scared of ghosts like a normal person.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Knowing Eiko isn't the type to be so openly seductive, he becomes suspicious of her imposter once she tried to seduce him into doing what she says.
- Power Incontinence: He can't turn of his spiritual sense, meaning he is always shivering in the presence of ghosts, as well as constantly being their target for attacks.
- Shrinking Violet: Even before he became a shut-in, he seemingly lacks any friends beside Eiko, and lacks self-confidence in talking with people.
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious: Generally anybody with spiritual powers are considered targets by ghosts, but Keitarou is especially so, with a 100% rate of encountering ghosts should he go to a haunted spot, compared to Yayoi, where it happens a third of the time.
- Supporting Protagonist: While the story is mostly from his point of view, Yayoi's mission is the central plot and the only one who knows how to fight ghosts.
- The Watson: Due to his lack of knowledge regarding ghosts and exorcising them, he is the one who Yayoi explains to how it works as well as tell him the plan to take them out.
Voiced by: Yū Sasahara
Yayoi Houzuki is an elementary student who lost her parents in a car accident. Unbeknownst to most, her parents were killed by the demon fetus Kuubou, who took her mother's soul. Swearing on their grave and her father's ghost, she vows to bring her back. She has polycoria, as well as a skull-shaped symbol in her eyes, which allows her to see both physical and spiritual objects. Due to her car accident, she gained an IQ of over 160 and is unnervingly composed in front of things that would traumatize most children.
- The Ace: Yayoi not only has an abnormally high IQ and impressive physical capabilities, she has captured ghosts that are considered troublesome even by seasoned exorcists.
- Appeal to Force: Any ghosts that she captures will be thrown inside her room and be beaten by the other ghosts into submission.
- Badass Adorable: If one can accept her eyes, she's a cute elementary student who has beaten over a hundred ghosts through wit and determination.
- Black-and-Gray Morality: Yayoi keeps the ghosts in line through threats of torture, feeds weaker ghosts to strong ones to keep them powerful.
- Broken Bird: Averted. In spite of being seemingly emotionless from her experiences, she actually frequently jokes around with Keitarou and Eiko, is generally cheerful and energetic, and is able to make friends with people. However, her ability to physically emote seems stunted since she mostly stays in a single expression even when happy.
- Catchphrase: "Let's go! Ghost!" Anytime before the start of a hunt.
- Child Prodigy: Yayoi possesses genius intelligence, and while it hasn't been displayed academically, it shows in how she can quickly analyze her opponent in tense situations and think of a plan to take them down.
- Contrived Coincidence: She obtained two of her graduates through luck. One was just sitting on his own grave, the other possessing a cheap mirror at a flea market, though the latter became powerful by eating all her previously captured ghosts first.
- Creepy Child: She's unnervingly calm in whatever she does, is otherwise merciless towards any ghosts and captures them brutally and efficiently.
- Determinator: She will stop at noting to save her mother.
- Deuteragonist: The story is told from Keitarou's perspective, but revolves around Yayoi's mission to save her mother.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: She literally gives the middle finger to the unnamed Kami and called him a paedophile, declares that she can easily defeat him and make him a slave.
- Emotionless Girl: Yayoi does have emotions, just seemingly incapable of changing her facial expression to show them.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The skull symbols in her eyes, which is oddly never commented on by anyone, even Keitarou, who only comments on her polycoria. Her pupils have been checked on by doctors, so having polycoria isn't caused by the symbols.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Most of her substitute dolls are stuffed animal dolls, either due to preference, a logical cover since nobody would suspect a young girl would have so many dolls, or that they're easy to fix.
- Good is Not Nice: She doesn't hesitate in disciplining her ghosts through strangling them or feeding them to stronger ghosts to get a stronger army.
- Happily Adopted: Happy isn't exactly accurate, but she is extremely grateful to be adopted by her cousin's family, and is unwilling to cause them any trouble. The only reason she goes to school rather than prioritizing saving her mother is because she's unwilling to trouble them by skipping school.
- Idiot Hair: A very large one.
- I See Dead People: Before her car accident, Yayoi presumes the fuzzy shadows were just a consequence of her polycoria, but once the accident corrected her vision was corrected, she realizes those were ghosts.
- Little Miss Badass: She's a small child, yet is the one responsible for fighting ghosts that have been haunting places for years.
- Logical Weakness: She can see ghosts, but only if there's enough light to see anything in the first place.
- Moral Event Horizon: Was nearly forced to pass this due to having to choose between her family and innocent bystanders, and she was willing to allow the latter to die to save the former.
- Nerves of Steel: She doesn't break a sweat going into haunted spots to face ghosts who murdered countless people, doesn't panic when they attack and always make decision quickly. Not to mention she has no problem sleeping in a room with a hundred ghost all wanting to kill her.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Aside from her mission, she does show intense interests in ghost, and claims to be similar to Eiko, who is borderline lusting after ghosts.
- Not So Above It All: At first she's creeped out that Eiko placed surveillance equipment on Keitarou, but after realizing that it can be used to observe if ghosts are around Keitarou, she approves of it, even joining in on Eiko in commenting on Keitarou's progress in socializing.
- Parents in Distress: Yayoi's mother is used to host the ghost fetus, Kuubou, who drags her body around to eat any ghosts it can find, all while she's crying for her daughter.
- Rule of Cool: There really isn't any reason to give the graduates elaborate and fanciful titles rather than just saying their name, especially when all of them can speak.
- The Stoic: She rarely shows emotions, especially not fear.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: A kindhearted and energetic child, but have difficulty physically expressing her emotions.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Has showed sympathy towards ghosts who only became evil due to horrible circumstances when they were alive, especially ones who went insane from the desire to avenge their family.
- Tranquil Fury: When the unnamed Kami splashed blood on her family photo, she calmly says she can easily defeats him, calls him a paedophile and declares she will make him a slave in her army.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Before the accident, she was a sweet and innocent child who had caring parents. After it she has never smiled, risks her life to save her mother and is brutally pragmatic in dealing with ghosts.
Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
Eiko Houzuki is Yayoi's and Keitarou's Childhood Friend, being the one responsible for them meeting. Knowing about Yayoi's interest in ghosts(though initially unaware that she captures them) and Keitarou's need to readapt to society, she tells Keitarou to be a tutor, then tells Yayoi of his ability so that they can choose Keitarou for the job. Initially she was just the driver for them as she owns a car and license, but later joins them actively on their missions. She's maintained a crush on Keitarou since they were kids.
- The Ace: As the representative for Japan in the Informatic Olympiad, she is a master in programming, and is able to modify a pair of glasses to spy Keitarou, from location to his heartbeat. Not to mention very beautiful and popular, pretty wealthy from investments and a pretty good driver.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: The first time a ghost actually targets her instead, she is scared out of her wits and nearly dies. She reconsidered her interest in ghosts and almost gave up, but regained her desires by visiting a famous haunted spot to test her resolve.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Stalking and manipulation notwithstanding, Eiko is a genuinely friendly and kindhearted person. But when she discovers that Anna, who she thought was a friend, was just leading her into a trap, she took revenge by trapping her in a self-repairing substitute doll, making her suffer from ghost attacks endlessly, while also locking her in a small box to be locked away in darkness.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Zigzagged. Outwardly, she is a cheerful, supportive and kindhearted woman who loves Keitarou dearly. But while she does genuinely love him, she still manipulates him in order to fulfil her own personal interest in horror and uses spying equipment to observe him, which can be Played for Laughs or Played for Horror depending on the situation. Nonetheless, she is willing to risk her life to protect Yayoi and Keitarou and is genuinely kind to others.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Shows this whenever she does something questionable, usually with a Slasher Smile.
- Body Horror: Has the same curse as Keitarou on her left hand.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She's been in love with Keitarou since the they were kids, with the two becoming an Official Couple early into the story.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: While she doesn't mind Keitarou interacting with other women, the moment there's a possibility someone is interested in him, she angrily stares at Keitarou to affirm their relationship.
- Cool Big Sis: She acts an understanding older sister figure towards her cousin Yayoi, with the two confiding their personal issues with each other. Both also tend to tend towards silly antics.
- Cute and Psycho: She is ecstatic at the chance of meeting the supernatural, and she's willing to manipulate Keitarou into meeting Yayoi in order to use his abilities to help attract ghosts. There's also the various stalker-ish things she does, like a filling her room with photos of Keitarou and numerous spying equipment.
- Extreme Libido: Her first reaction to visiting a haunted love hotel is to stare at Keitarou and pressure him to go to one with her.
- Goal in Life: She has two: to research the supernatural and to be with Keitarou.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She instantly arrives from nowhere when Yayoi sent a message suggesting Keitarou is with another woman.
- Love Makes You Crazy: She's obsessed with Keitarou and frequently showers him with affection, but hides the fact that she's a creepy, perverted stalker most of time.
- Manipulative Bastard: She introduced Keitarou and his abilities to Yayoi so that she could recruit him while also suggesting that Keitarou try tutoring to regain his social skills, not telling him that he was going to teach her cousin until he arrived. Later on, she tells him about her interest in the supernatural while simultaneously confessing her love, all to inspire Keitarou to join Yayoi to gain knowledge on ghosts and protect her (Eiko).
- Mistaken Age: In contrast to her boyfriend Keitaro, who is drawn relatively youthful, Eiko's appearance is more mature than her actual age would imply. This was acknowledged when she came to pick up Yayoi, as the latter's classmate thought she was Yayoi's mother, much to Eiko's chagrin.
- Nice Girl: So long as neither of her obsessions get the better of her, she's a sweet and caring young woman who looks out for her cousin Yayoi and genuinely loves her childhood friend-turned-boyfriend Keitaro.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Her obsession with the supernatural borders on lust, outright blushing and panting after an encounter, though she hides it around people. However, she believes Keitarou to be the same, just in denial of it, and sometimes suggests to him that he also likes meeting ghosts.
- Peerless Love Interest: Eiko is famous at college for her achievements and beauty, and has multiple friends and an active social life. As such, most of the people around her tend to be baffled at the idea of Keitarou being her boyfriend.
- Secretly Selfish: Keitarou has no idea that Eiko dragged him into the supernatural knowing that his constitution will attract ghosts so that 1. she can satisfy her interest in the supernatural, and 2. Keitarou will risk his life to protect her, satisfying her lust for him.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She has shown zero interest in any man that isn't Keitarou.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She fell for Keitarou because he regularly helps people by warning them whenever he senses a ghost, showing that he has a good heart in spite of people avoiding him because of his curse.
- Stalker with a Crush: Eiko's room is filled with photos of her beloved Keitarou, and she places spying equipment in the gifts she gives him.
- Yandere: Downplayed: she acts relatively normal around Keitarou, and is more embarrassed than anything when Yayoi finds out about her feelings for him. She only acts jealous if it's hinted that a woman has actual interest in Keitarou. Her craziness comes from her being obsessive and manipulating Keitarou.
Voiced by: Rina Kawaguchi
Ai Kamiyo is a new student of Keitarou. She was rejected by her family due to ghosts gathering around her. Ai's brother took her with him to live in Tokyo, not caring about the dangers. However, he dies protecting her from falling steel beams, and his dying words was to beg her not to cry, or he would not be able to die in peace. Due to this, she stays cheerful and optimistic, even if she constantly suffers from bad luck. Believing that her brother is protecting her from other ghosts, she approaches Yayoi to help exorcise them so that he could pass on. However, she is cursed to die when she turns 20, since she is set to be wed to a Kami, who will take her soul, and is the one whom Ai's brother is protecting her from.
- Break the Cutie: Being rejected by her family, her loving brother dying in front of her after saving her and the last she sees of her brother's ghost in him trying to strangle her. She breaks down in tears afterwards.
- Book Dumb: It's why she needs a tutor in the first place.
- Demonic Possession: While being a god, the unnamed Kami is an evil entity who can take over Ai's body at anytime to control her actions.
- The Ditz: She fails to solve even a single question given by Keitarou and is pretty clumsy as well.
- Dumb Blonde: She's, at the very least, very Book Dumb, and her hair is blonde, dyed or otherwise.
- Genki Girl: A very energetic and cheerful teenage girl. Even more so after her brother's death so that he could rest in peace.
- Gyaru Girl: Has excessive makeup and a flashy fashion sense.
- Human Sacrifice: Set to die at age 20 to be given to the unnamed god.
- Idiot Hair: Considerably smaller than Yayoi, which is ironic considering how Yayoi is way smarter than her.
- The Jinx: Her family told her to move because the ghosts attracted to her are harming other members of the family. To normal people she seems to bring bad luck, since any attacks by ghosts are deflected off her and transferred to the nearest person.
- Joshikousei: A first year in high school.
- Living Macguffin: She is the bride of a Kami, who has placed his seal on her. This seal protects her from danger, but also leaks out energy that attracts ghosts to feed.
- Magical Star Symbols: The symbol of the unnamed Kami, which is also the pentagram found in onmyodo, hinting at his powers.
- Marriage to a God: The nastier version, since she's basically a human sacrifice.
- Mercy Kill: Her brother wanted to do this to her, since the unnamed Kami is a sadistic monster who tortures the souls of the women he wed, and he can't take Ai until she's 20.
- Minor Living Alone: Since her brother died, she has been living alone in his apartment.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She can get very close to people she just met.
- Parental Abandonment: Her father told her to leave the house due to the danger she brings to others.
- Stepford Smiler: She tries her best to stay happy to fulfill her brother's dying wish.
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious: The energy leaking from her seal attracts ghosts to feed on it.
- Cool Old Lady: The head of a shrine and experienced Shinto priest, she is responsible with helping Keitarou for his ghost problems before Yayoi.
- Doting Grandparent: Very protective of Keitarou, who she calls "Kei-chan", an affectionate term usually reserved for children.
- Miko: The head of a Shinto shrine.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Basically looks like Keitarou's mother, only with white hair and more wrinkles.
- You Monster!: Her first impression of Yayoi. This is due to Yayoi smashing multiple Jizo statues and surrounded by their angry spirits.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Answers Keitarou's phone without his permission and likes to screw with him.
- The Gadfly: Answers Keitarou's phone without permission to surprise him and teases her sister for still watching Pretty Cure.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The elder Yuzuki has long black hair with girly ribbons and is more of a tease.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Only in the way they look, with not much indicating how girly or boyish their interests are.
- Trickster Twins: So far they do seem to enjoy screwing around with Keitarou.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Answers Keitarou's phone without his permission and likes to screw with him.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The younger Akari has short bright hair and acts more childish.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Only in the way they look, with not much indicating how girly or boyish their interests are, though Akari is into Pretty Cure, a traditionally girly anime.
- Trickster Twins: So far they do seem to enjoy screwing around with Keitarou.
Nakiri YoukoThe class president of Yayoi's class.
- Bespectacled Cutie: A responsible cute young girl wearing glasses.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Displays the same as Eiko when the latter encourages her to understand that excitement she felt when adventuring with Yayoi.
- Class Representative: Has both the role and the expected personality.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Eiko seems interested in developing similar Nightmare Fetishist tendencies in her.
- Innocent Bystander: She was dragged into the Mr Sakashita incident because she was making sure her classmates won't get into trouble.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Expressed similar emotions as Eiko did when she got a taste of adventuring with Yayoi.
- Only Sane Woman: The only one who opposed to the idea of investigating the school's mysteries.
- Uptight Loves Wild: Seems to have become attracted to Yayoi as the latter fearlessly fought against the ghost while protecting her.
- Cool Shades: Hasn't been seen without them.
- Double Take: Didn't expect that Yayoi would give the Senji Ryakketsu so easily.
- Determinator: Powers through deciphering the Senji Ryakketsu even though it's killing him.
- Expy: His design resemble Kisuke Urahara from Bleach, with the same traditional Japanese clothing and coat as well as a bucket hat, and is an exxentric shop owner dealing with ghosts.
- Hair Colors: Has bright pink hair.
- Protective Charm: Has several of these that takes the damage of curses for him.
- Heroic RRoD: Was nearly killed by Seimei's curse when he tried deciphering the Senji Ryakketsu.
- Snake Oil Salesman: Downplayed. The gloves he traded with Yayoi that he claimed can remove souls were indeed fake, but he did teach her the trick to actually do so.
- Tears of Blood: Has these as well from his nose and mouth due to Seimei's curse.
- Weak, but Skilled: He describes himself as weak, not being able to deal with the strong spirits around Kyoto, but he is knowledgeable in dealing with curses and have tools to protect himself from them, as well as divination and pressure points.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: If a ghost has special powers, than it's usually evil ones like setting people on fire.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Ghosts grow more powerful by eating each other.
- Ghostly Goals: They usually don't pass on due to regrets or hatred, and would kill anyone just to sustain their life on earth.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Normal ghosts all have glowing eyes and mouths, while it's a toss up for stronger ghosts.
- Kill and Replace: Some ghosts can do this, by replacing their victim's souls with their own.
- Killing Intent: The other element that decides a ghost's power is their desire to kill, either because they're bloodthirsty psychos or unstoppable rage.
- Made of Iron: Ghosts can get injured, but won't die even if they're dismembered or set on fire, just incapacitate them until they recover.
- No Name Given: Only one of them have said their own name, and since Yayoi doesn't bother to ask, most of them don't have names.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: The ones who haunt and murder people are similar to the onryō, malevolent evil beings twisted by desire and hatred.
- Your Soul Is Mine!: They will kill their victims and devour their souls.
Ghosts in Yayoi's possession
- Army of Thieves and Whores: Yayoi specifically chooses evil ghosts for their aggressiveness and power, and with most having body counts in the double digits, she can freely punish them with threats of torture to keep them in line without feeling guilty.
- Balance of Power: They are of roughly equal strength, which prevents them from eating each other.
- Creepy Doll: Essentially what they are when they're trapped inside the dolls.
- Demonic Possession: They are trapped inside the doll, though can still attack anything within arm's reach.
- Do with Him as You Will: Yayoi allows the ghosts to take out their anger on any new meat, since they're freshly pissed at taking damage for her.
- Evil vs. Evil: Most of them has a significant body count, and are forced to fight other similar ghosts.
- Mutually Assured Destruction: Essentially the only way they can hurt Yayoi is to attack her with enough force to destroy the doll and her, which would destroy them as well. The other ghosts who don't want to die will stop those that do.
- Supernatural Sealing: The ghost possessing a doll can still move within a certain distance from the doll, but can't leave it.
- Sympathetic Magic: By placing a hair or nail inside the dolls the ghosts are possessing, any attacks from a ghost are transferred to the ghost in the doll instead. The doll's physical state is synchronized with the ghost, so by damaging the doll, the ghost is also damaged and vice versa. Likewise, by repairing the doll, the ghost inside can heal, though this depends on the ghost.
The spirit who took Yayoi's mother. A giant fetus spirit that goes stronger by going around eating powerful spirits.
- Arch-Enemy: For Yayoi, where It's Personal for kiling her parents.
- The Antichrist: A powerful evil entity that has fed on a god and still waiting to be born, with an evil group preparing for its birth.
- Combat Tentacles: It's telekinesis is upgraded to arms that can stretch for long distances, which is more energy efficient and faster than before, allowing it to kill faster.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Was handed one by the unnamed Kami, and delivered one to Hariti by taking advantage of her weakness.
- Dark Is Evil: Is a giant black fetus surrounded by skeletons, and is a remorseless killer.
- The Dreaded: For most ghosts. It is implied that some ghosts gathered together in groups to protect themselves when normally they would attack each other.
- Evil Counterpart: For Yayoi. Both are going around hunting for ghosts in search for power. Both are intelligent for their age and formulate strategies against enemies they can't defeat. It has also gained the same skull symbol in its eyes when it reached its second form. With Kuubou inhabitating Yayoi's mother, it would also technically be Yayoi's sibling as well.
- Fetus Terrible: Still just a fetus but already killed hundreds.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Not it(Ok, it's also naked, but a fetus can't wear clothes), but Yayoi's mother, who has to move around as a giant naked ghost. Luckily after eating Hariti she gains clothes.
- Instant Expert: Managed to instantly figure out what the unnamed Kami taught it when he criticized its abilities, and then upgraded his abilities soon afterwards.
- It Can Think: Despite being a fetus, it's already smart enough to talk and strategize.
- Mind over Matter: It's power is to radiate a field of energy that allows to move the objects caught in it.
- Next Tier Power-Up: After eating Hariti, it gained a new form
- Parasitic Horror: Entered Yayoi's mother through her mouth, and made her eat ghosts it couldn't feed on itself.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Caused a subway train to crash in its fight with the unnamed Kami.
- Womb Horror: Yayoi's mother is selected to be its host, with her soul becoming pregnant with it.
- Alas, Poor Villain: She is genuinely protective of children, and was unwilling to harm Kuubou after it called her mama, and begged it to not kill her, to no avail.
- Badass and Baby: As a goddess, she is more powerful than most ghosts, and is surrounded by babies.
- Enfant Terrible: The babies around her would attack anyone who goes near the shrine.
- Evil-Detecting Baby: Despite being evil themselves, the baby spirits can sense that Kuubou is a really dangerous threat that needs to be killed immediately.
- Friend to All Children: Didn't even want to hurt Yayoi, she just wanted to keep Yayoi safe from the baby spirits, though that involves restraining Yayoi and keep her captive.
- Mama Bear: Instantly goes berserk at the sight of the spirit babies getting eaten.
- Pieces of God: What she essentially is, a piece of the original Hariti. A finger of hers was broken off by Yayoi to be used as a weapon
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: This is what led to her downfall. Because she can't harm children, the evil baby spirits could corrupt her into an evil god. Then, Kuubou took advantage of this to eat her without resistance.
- Big Brother Instinct: Allowed Ai to live with him despite the risks and instantly pushed Ai out of the way when she was in danger.
- Last Words: Tries comforting Ai by telling her not to cry.
- Mercy Kill: Tried killing Ai before she turned 20 so that she wouldn't be taken by the unnamed Kami.
- Race Against the Clock: Since he didn't eat any ghosts, he only had 49 days to kill Ai before he passes on.
- Ax-Crazy: A violent god who takes the souls of innocent women for no reason beyond torturing them.
- Berserk Button: Being called a paedophile. When Yayoi called him that, he attacked her with such force it caused the heads of the substitute dolls to explode.
- Blood Knight: Spared Yayoi and Kuubou because they had potential to be interesting opponents, even giving advice to the latter on how to properly use its powers.
- Bring It: When Yayoi claims she has the means to take him down, he welcomes her challenge
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Nobody knows his true name, so they just refer to him as god.
- Fate Worse than Death: What left of his wives include a female soul tied up by rope and had her organs eaten, as well as dozens of souls left with disembodied heads.
- God Is Evil: So far the only Shinto god shown, and is quite evil.
- Human Sacrifice: What marriage to him entails.
- Knight of Cerebus: Not that the series was light-hearted beforehand, but all enemies beforehand could be defeated through strategy or overpowering them with Yayoi's ghosts. He proceeds to take on all of the ghosts at once and Yayoi admits if he wasn't a Blood Knight, they would be dead. In order to defeat him, Yayoi has to visit haunted spots that are considerably more dangerous than before.
- Marriage to a God: What he forces upon the women in Ai's bloodline.
- No-Sell：His Shikigami can take damage for attacks meant for him.
- Offing the Mouth: Tried doing this when Yayoi essentially calls him a pedophile.
- Onmyōdō: Is a master of Onmyōdō, so much so that he treats Abe no Seimei, the most famous onmyōji in Japanese history with disrespect.
- Really 700 Years Old: He looks like a child, but is at least over 1000 years old, considering he knows Seimei(921-1025).
- Sadist: Promises that after he defeats Yayoi, their souls will become his playthings for eternity.
- Slasher Smile: Whenever he finds something he deems interesting.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Currently the strongest entity shown, far and above all the ghosts Yayoi has faced
- Villain Takes an Interest: When Yayoi claims she still has aces up her sleeves that can defeat him, he gets interested and takes her challenge.
- The Worf Effect: Before he arrived, Yayoi's room of ghosts seemed invisible. While individually they could be defeated, once a ghost entered the room they were toast. The unnamed Kami took them down effortlessly.
- Evil Minions: Is one for the group who is planting curse objects in haunted spots.
- Evil Old Folks: The ghost of an evil old lady.
- Eye Scream: The finger of Hariti stabbed her in the eye when she tried eating it.
- Out-of-Character Alert: Yayoi notices that Keitarou is suprisingly calm despite usually being scared shitless by haunted areas.
- The Storyteller: Talks about the history about the place to any visitors.
- Water Torture: Her boss does this to her in order to interrogate her on where the cursed arm was taken, which somehow works despite her being a ghost.
- The Dog Bites Back: Innocent women who were raped, abused and killed. They took their revenge on the Yakuza by killing them and trapping their souls in a closet, tormenting them until their hatred is quenched.
- Grand Theft Me: One of the female ghost tried to exchange bodies with Keitarou but failed.
- Hell Hotel: An abandoned love hotel filled with wandering female ghosts. At best you see them get tortured, at worst they will try to steal your bodies and/or kill you.
- Living Shadows: Human-shaped shadows that moves on the walls and attack the female ghosts. These aren't ghosts though, since Keitarou can't sense them, but rather creations born from the fear and pain they suffered.
- Non-Malicious Monster: With the exception of one, most of them aren't interested in attacking visitors, just don't piss them off.
- Rape and Revenge: They were raped and killed, and will not stop torturing the Yakuza who did this to them until they can pass on.
- Road-Sign Reversal: By changing the number tags on the rooms, they will mistakenly walk towards the false room they were trying to avoid.
- Secret Room: A false room that never existed was created from their collective desire to escape the room they suffered in.
- A Taste of Their Own Medicine: Now the Yakuza are the ones who are on the receiving end of being trapped and tortured.
- Tulpa: The only possible reason for the wall shadows that attack the female ghosts to exist. Some of the female ghosts are still traumatized by their experiences and accidentally created them.
- The Walls Have Eyes: When they find someone trespassing in the hotel, eyes form on the walls to look at them.
- Body Snatcher: The current Oswald had his body taken by a ghost.
- Dirty Old Monk: Is trained as a buddhist priest, and helped his friend hide porn magazines.
- Lured into a Trap: By exploiting his host's connections, he is able to trick competent exorcists into going to haunted places where his allies will ambush them and take their bodies.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: His underling couldn't report to him the existence of Yayoi's group and how they stole the artefact due to being drowned and killed.
- Power Parasite: He has all the skills the original Oswald had by reading his memories.
- Something Only They Would Say: By reading the original Oswald's memories, the current Oswald was able to prove himself to be the real deal by declaring he knows that his friend was hiding porn magazines during their training.
- Water Torture: Used this to punish the ghost responsible for looking after the cursed artefact.
- You Have Failed Me: Pissed that the guard watching over the artefact failed, he killed her before she could actually report what happened.
- Always Identical Twins: She looks exactly like her twin.
- Body Snatcher: The current Nagiko had her body taken by a ghost.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Her older sister knows of the danger of being famous and tried warning her, but she didn't listen.
- "Pop!" Goes the Human: Nagiko's body was blown up from the inside into little pieces.
- Sell-Out: Due to not being skilled enough to make a living off exorcising alone, she make ends meet by being the star of her own ghost show.
- Stronger Sibling: Her older sister is way stronger than her.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The only moments we saw of the original Nagiko was some of her exploits and her cowering in fear as she was taken over, and with her body destroyed she probably isn't coming back.
Tropes applying to the ghost
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Contorts her body so that her head is upside down.
- Creepy Souvenir: Keeps the heads of the soul of her victims, who continuously repeat the word "head".
- Cop Killer: After being severely weakened, she killed a bunch of cops to regain power.
- Faking the Dead: Pretended to be dead after being defeated and hid underwater to avoid detection.
- Madness Mantra: However she kills, her victims are left mindless Empty Shells with their brains full of holes, repeatedly saying "return my head" until they eventually die
- Magic Hair: Her hair can be used to make clones of people she killed.
- Prehensile Hair: One of her powers.
- Outside Ride: Followed Yayoi's group by latching on the roof of their car.
- Schmuck Bait: Managed to draw a policeman to a secluded corner in order to kill him by using this. Said bait features a creepy girl that runs away after being seen and appears from nowhere in the middle of the night in a police station.
- Worf Effect: Was nearly killed by the ghost of the old I Watergate to show off his power.
- The Ace: She considers her sister to be without talent, but the latter was able to exorcize an A level spirit, and the spirit possessing her was able to exorcize a cursed knife that killed other spiritualists, and said spirit considered the body a high quality one.
- Always Identical Twins: She looks exactly like her twin.
- Ancestral Weapon: Says anyone who trains under her gets a chance to use one.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: She knew of the danger of being famous and tried warning her sister, but she didn't listen.
- Old Master: Looks to be in her 50s, but is a master spiritualist.
- Slasher Smile: When Yayoi informs her of the plan to take on the spirits that are stealing bodies, she lets out one of these and agrees immediately.
- Tranquil Fury: Despite her sister's death, she keeps her cool and try to gather information on the spirits who killed her before taking her revenge.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Seems friendly and cheerful, but her smiles are for more sadistic and cruel reasons.
- Creepy Child: While the original Dorothy seemed normal, the possessed one dresses in elaborate gothic attire, wears make up and encourages her classmates to venture into haunted places around school. However, the ghost possessing her might not be an actual child.
- Cover Identity Anomaly: Dresses so differently from the original Dorothy that most people are weirded out by her change, and the only reason she isn't revealed because nobody knows about ghosts.
- Creepy Doll: Carries around a doll with bleeding eyes. However, those are the tears of an innocent girl that is trapped. Since she was the one who possessed in beforehand, it was presumably just as creepy back then.
- Cute and Psycho: Whether she's cute depends on your opinion on gothic lolita fashion, but is definitely a psycho.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Changes from the original Dorothy's plain white dress to a mostly black gothic dress.
- Evil Gloating: Constantly reminds the original Dorothy that she's stuck in a doll and can never escape. Not to mention giving information about their group's plan to Yayoi even without needing to.
- Evil Counterpart: Seems to be one for Yayoi. Both dresses oddly, carry around dolls containing ghosts, enjoy ghost stories and visiting haunted places, is unnaturally intelligent for the ages, possess knowledge in capturing and powering up ghosts and are the youngest member of their group. But personality wise they're complete opposites. Yayoi is cautious, emotionless, responsible and has a strong sense of justice, while Dorothy is careless, smiles all the time, drags innocents into her plan and is sadistic. Yayoi only act ruthlessly towards evil spirits, while Dorothy so far has only played with innocent spirits.
- Faux Affably Evil: Pretends to be polite child while around others, but is callous and sadistic, drawing the entire school into her evil plan to tests Yayoi.
- Grand Theft Me: Stole Dorothy's body and identity.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: In spite of Yayoi's eyes having literal skulls, her blank white eyes seems considerably more evil.
- Kick the Dog: Reminds the actual Dorothy every day that her body was stolen, just for sadistic kicks.
- Lack of Empathy: Even towards fellow ghosts, who she feeds to Mr. Sakashita to power him up.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Tries to test out what Yayoi and her friend's identities and knowledge, was fed false information while giving away that they created Kuubou and there was a whole group of ghosts taking over bodies, setting Yayoi on their trail. Not to mention Yayoi was having trouble with the lack of time due to school, which due to Dorothy's plan causing the school to close temporarily, the former has now all the free time to enact her own plans.
- Tears of Blood: The original Dorothy cries tears of blood everyday as she is helpless imprisoned in a doll.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Pure white hair, and the evil to match.
- Chekhov's Gunman: It was hinted at chapter 20 that another spirit was present at the Seimei Shrine when the statue of Seimei shook, and 20 chapters later he was revealed.
- Mysterious Backer: Gives Yayoi some useful tools to help her defeat the evil god, but his motivations are kept a mystery.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Placed a curse killing anyone besides Yayoi if they tried reading the Senji Ryakketsu, but Yayoi couldn't actually read it due to not knowing ancient Kanji, and then neglected to tell Kyuusaku when he is about to decipher it for her.
- No Historical Figures Were Harmed: Seeing as Abe no Seimei is a real Onmyodo practitioner from the Heian period.
- Old Master: If he is Abe no Seimei, he would be over a thousand years old.
- Slasher Smile: Gives one when he saw the curse on Keitarou's arm, which may suggest he's not as friendly as he appears.
- An Ice Person: Kouki fights with an ice scythe and can freeze her opponents.
- Attack the Mouth: Kouki immediately attacks the spirit of F park's mouth when she tries to use her power.
- Blinded by the Light: Zenki attacks while his opponent is blinded by the light he produces.
- Cast from Hit Points: They drain Keitarou's energy whenever they appear.
- Cool Mask: Both have cool masks based on the sun and moon respectively.
- Empathic Healer: Subverted, they heal their own injuries by transferring it to their host.
- Light 'em Up: Zenki produces a blinding light when he appears.
- Lunacy: Kouki's powers are based on the moon.
- Male Sun, Female Moon: The male Zenki represents Yang and thus the sun, while the female Kouki is Yin, thus the moon.
- Night and Day Duo: When Zenki appears, a light as blinding as the sun covers the area, while Kouki envelops the surrounding in darkness.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: They are based on the Shikigami of En no Gyoja, and are a red and blue oni respectively.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Currently sealed inside Keitarou, and comes out when he's in danger.
- Self-Healing Phlebotinum: Kouki's scythe, being made of ice, can be repaired easily by absorbing water.
- Sinister Scythe: Kouki uses a giant ice scythe.
- Slasher Smile: Kouki gives a big one before landing the final blow.
- The Speechless: They don't talk, even though they look human and seem sapient.
- Step into the Blinding Fight: Kouki can blind the opponent using her curse, filling their eyes with darkness from the dark side of the moon.
- Solar and Lunar: Has this as a theme.
- The Snack Is More Interesting: In this case, the snack is the enemy's head, as Zenki doesn't bother looking at his foe as he chopped into him while eating a head.
- Water Is Womanly: Kouki can control water and ice.
- Psychopomp: Downplayed. They're not responsible for helping all ghosts into the afterlife, but only appear to prevent an overpopulation of ghosts in a certain area. They mostly appear in hospitals or on battlefields, but something linger around and follow people who are about to die.
- Shinigami: Well, duh.
- Soul Eating: Does this to the recently deceased, though whether or not it's eating or are they transferring them to the afterlife is unknown.