A person's body is taken over by some foreign intelligence. It's not brainwashing, because they still have control of their own mind — but that's all they have. Either they've been reduced to a spectator in their own body, or their soul has been booted out of their body entirely. Either way, the rest of the cast will soon find he's Not Himself.
This can come in several flavors:
- Body Surf — The Body Snatcher leaps from host to host over the course of the story.
- Clone by Conversion — The Body Snatcher not only takes control of the host body, but transforms it into a copy of his original one.
- Demonic Possession — A spirit or energy being who puts the host's mind in a straitjacket.
- Familial Body Snatcher — An entity that takes over the bodies of their own family/descendants.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip — Body swapping for fun and learning. Hilarity Ensues.
- Grand Theft Me — The Snatcher has a body, but they want a new one. Yours.
- People Puppets — Directly controlling another's body — no mucking about with souls.
- Puppeteer Parasite — Body Snatchers who are physical parasites. Body Horror ensues.
- Raised as a Host — A person is specifically raised to be the target of this.
For information on specific types of hosts, look to Body and Host.
Not to be confused with the people who steal corpses.