I've been a lurker since 2012. I joined the site in December of 2015, but I didn't start editing regularly until March 23, 2018, when I made a bunch of edits to Irreconcilable Differences.
open/close all folders
Pages I've created
Tropes I like
- Author Appeal (the non-sexual kind): Even if I don't share the author's obsession, a lot of times their enthusiasm will rub off on me.
- Body Horror
- Celibate Hero: Society is so sex-obsessed. It's very refreshing to find a work that doesn't feel the need to include any.
- Deranged Animation
- Disney Acid Sequence
- Early Installment Weirdness: It's always fun watching a series evolve.
- Fake Band/Band Toon/Music Stories: If it stars a band, fake or otherwise, I'm probably going to love it.
- Fashion Dissonance: I unironically dig a lot of the "worst" fashions of previous decades, especially The '70s.
- Generational Saga
- Great Escape
- Heterosexual/Platonic Life-Partners: Possibly my Favorite Trope.
- Kid Hero: They're underdogs, and they're less likely to get bogged down in tedious romantic drama than older characters.
- Lens Flare
- Mood Dissonance: The more jarring, the better.
- Morality Chain
- Nostalgic Narrator
- Robinsonade: I was a huge fan of these as a kid. One of my favorite fantasies was being stranded somewhere and living all by myself in the wilderness.
- Scenery Porn
- Stable Time Loop
- Teen Idol: I have a huge soft spot for these. My favorites are Kristy McNichol and the Cassidy half-brothers.
- Time Abyss
- Timey-Wimey Ball
- Unconventional Learning Experience
- Unintentional Period Piece: If I'm old enough to remember the time period, it's a trip down memory lane. If I'm not, it's a look at history.
- Values Dissonance: Can be fun in small doses.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?
Tropes I hate
- Arc Welding: Normally I can suspend disbelief in almost anything, but this tends to be too much even for me. Does everything have to be connected? Aren't things allowed to just happen?
- Collateral Angst
- Dysfunction Junction: This trope wouldn't bother me if it wasn't so overused. I can buy one maladjusted genius, but not entire squads full of them on multiple shows.
- Insane Equals Violent: More specifically, the version where "madmen" are whimsical and malicious but show no other symptoms, and both those personality traits magically disappear if the person is treated.
- Romantic Plot Tumor
- Throwing Off the Disability
Tropes that apply to me
- Afraid of Needles
- The Anti-Nihilist: We're all alone in an uncaring universe, so we have to do what we can to help each other out. There's no such thing as free will, so no one deserves to suffer no matter who they are or what they've done.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Boyish Short Hair
- Butch Lesbian
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
- Ditzy Genius: I'm good at taking IQ tests, but I still flunked out of community college, and I have zero common sense.
- Does Not Drive: I'm way too absent-minded. I'd probably kill someone.
- Does Not Like Spam: I can't stand spicy food.
- Enemy Within: My goddamn instant gratification monkey.
- Famous Ancestor: My great-grandfather is Robert Shayne, best known as Inspector Henderson from The Adventures of Superman.
- Fan of the Past: My favorite pop cultural decade is The '70s, especially the second half of the decade.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies
- Forgetful Jones: Sometimes I'll forget what I wanted to look up in the time it takes me to open a new tab.
- For Happiness: It's the only thing that matters.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: I was The Smart One, and my younger sister was The Pretty One. She's actually a lot smarter than I am, but I was more bookish.
- Happiness In Minimum Wage: Sorta. I like my job bagging groceries, but I really don't like being a Basement-Dweller.
- Hates Being Touched
- Home Schooled Kids: On and off.
- I Hate Past Me: I went through a reactionary phase in my early teens. My politics have changed almost completely since then, and I'm very glad I never had a social media account.
- The Illegible: I have the handwriting of a fourth-grader.
- Immortality Seeker: I'm saving up for a Cryonics Institute membership. I know I probably won't be revived, but if I'm buried or cremated I definitely won't be revived, so cryonics is my only hope.
- The Insomniac: I have to take sleeping pills to function with a normal schedule.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Most of my friends are much older or younger than I am.
- Introverted Cat Person
- The Klutz: No wine glass is safe when I'm in the room.
- Learnt English from Watching Television: I learned Dutch from Suske en Wiske.
- Mexicans Love Speedy Gonzales: One of my Guilty Pleasures is really stereotypical fiction about autistic savants.
- Mouthful of Pi: My sister and I once competed to see who could memorize more digits. We got to about 100 before losing interest.
- Music/Age Dissonance: When I was a kid, I listened to classical music. Now I listen to bubblegum pop.
- Nerds Are Virgins
- No Sense of Personal Space: I was like this as a kid until I developed the opposite problem due to bullying.
- No Social Skills
- Not a Morning Person: If I had it my way, I'd sleep from 10 AM to 5 PM and work at night.
- Older Than They Look: I get mistaken for a teenager a lot.
- Properly Paranoid: I use Tor for most of my online activity. I'm not doing anything illegal, but my browsing habits are none of the NSA's business.
- Raised Catholic: Although I became an atheist in my late teens.
- Reverse Arm-Fold: This has been my default pose since I took Tae Kwon Do as a kid.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator
- Saw "Star Wars" 27 Times: I reread and rewatch my favorite media over and over again. When I was a kid, I read the My Father's Dragon trilogy almost 50 times.
- Simpleton Voice: My voice is slow, deep, and nasally, and I hem and haw a lot. I cringe whenever I hear myself.
- Sweet Tooth
- The Teetotaler: When I was younger I was scared straight by addiction horror stories, and when I did eventually try alcohol in college, I hated the taste.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: My girliest trait is liking fanfiction.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Whole milk.
- Troper Types: The Advertiser and the Trope Editor.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Water.