Jane (Louisa Krause), a 25-year-old woman with Asperger syndrome, is moving in with her controlling older sister Bianca (Eliza Dushku), a stage actress. Inspired by Bianca's engagement to Rob Shay (Amir Arison), she decides to get a boyfriend for herself. She hits it off with Bianca's friend Jack (Gabriel Ebert), but Bianca thinks Jack is too unreliable and tries to stop him from dating her sister.
Jane Wants a Boyfriend contains examples of:
- Basement-Dweller: At age 25, Jane still lives with her parents. She moves in with Bianca when her parents move to New Jersey.
- The Bore: Bianca tries to set Jane up with an autistic guy, thinking he'll be more suited to her than Jack, but he spends most of the evening talking about himself and doesn't ask Jane a single question about herself.
- Creator Cameo: Jarret Kerr plays Bottom in the production of A Midsummer Night's Dream that Bianca stars in.
- First Kiss: Jane has never kissed anyone before Rob. She almost got to kiss a boy she knew in school, but he lost interest in her once he learned she was autistic.
- Flowers of Romance: Jack brings flowers to his first date with Jane.
- "Friends" Rent Control: Bianca lives with Rob, a journalist, in an enormous Brooklyn apartment with two floors. They serve $100 bottles of wine at their housewarming party.
- Happy Dance: Jane dances with excitement over her plans to get a boyfriend.
- Iris Out: The Stinger ends this way.
- Saw Star Wars 27 Times: Jane has seen her favorite old movies, like Kansas City Confidential, so many times that she can recite the dialogue from memory.
- The Stinger: A very short scene of Jane reading aloud from A Midsummer Night's Dream, followed by black-and-white clips from the movie.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jane's diet consists largely of grilled cheese sandwiches.