Simply put, an episode/chapter/scene/whatever detailing how a character's parents met, almost always in the form of the child or children being told the story by one of the parents. This trope usually comes into play when at least one of the parents is an important character, and thus worthy of giving an explanation on how they ended up having a child with the other character. The story is almost always told by one or both parents, but on occasion can be told by a third party, especially if the child is now an orphan. It's also all but guaranteed to be told to the audience through flashbacks.
- Definitely, Maybe: When Will Hayes' daughter, Maya, learns about sex education, she asks her father if how he met her mother. He tells her under the condition the he changes the names of the people in the story. The whole story is told through flashbacks.
- One episode of Hannah Montana features Miley and Jackson going back in time and having to force their parents to meet up like they're meant to do. This is All Just a Dream brought on by their dad attempting to tell the story and being ignored, causing them both to go listen and appreciate the slower moments on the road.
- Taken to an unusual extent in How I Met Your Mother. The framing device is that the show is one giant flashback of Ted in 2030 telling his future kids the events that led up to him meeting their mother. He doesn't actually meet the titular mother until the series finale.
- Bill Cosby has a stand-up routine about how his father would never give him any money but would instead tell him a story about how he made whatever it was Bill wanted to buy when he was a boy, and all of these stories ended the same way: "...and that's how I met your mother!"
- Episode 3 of Life Is Strange: Before the Storm opens with James Amber, Rachel's father, telling the story of how he met her mother. Specifically her biological mother Sera; he goes on to explain how their relationship soured because of her drug addiction and why he doesn't want Rachel to meet her.
- Somewhat downplayed in Adventure Time. Marceline has a flashback to herself as a child, with her mother telling her the story of how she met her demon father, but we only hear the last few words of the story.
- In The Amazing World of Gumball, a large portion of "The Choices" is spent with Nicole recalling how she met Richard when they were children, but she isn't telling her children about it, just recounting it in her memories.
- An episode of Dexter's Laboratory had an episode showing how the parents met when the mom was a germaphobe and the dad was a dirty slob. This also shows how she got her yellow gloves, which he gave to her so they can touch.
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The episode "Perfect Pear" not only tells the story of how the Apple parents met, but who they were, as told by several characters who knew their parents and played a role in their love story.
- On The Simpsons episode "The Way We Was", Homer tells the kids the story of how he and Marge met in high school.
- In Steven Universe, the episode "Story for Steven" is a Whole Episode Flashback of Steven's father, Greg, telling him how he first met Rose Quartz when he was twenty-two.
- The episode "Razor's Edge" in Voltron: Legendary Defender consists largely of flashbacks where Keith experiences his mother's memories and learns how she ended up with his father.