One night, Eirik and his family are attacked by an angry mob. They are forced to flee, but their ship is destroyed in a storm and they end up castaway on a strange island. Though frazzled, they are all alive and set up camp. When all looks like it might be okay after all, they are visited by the tyrant Björn Headcleaver and his goons. He tells them that he'll only allow them to share the island with them if they provide resources for him, and then beats them up some for good measure. Now the family not only has to survive the island, they also have to produce enough resources for Björn to keep them alive...
Dead In Vinland is a strategy/resource-management game set in the Viking age. There are also adventure parts where you explore the island and occassionally run into turn-based combat with Björn's goons. The characters all have a set of skills that can be upgraded and improved upon, and determines whether they manage the skill checks strewn across the map.
The game can be found on Steam and is part of the "Dead In..." series.
The game contains examples of:
- Adult Fear:
- The angry mob is after Eirik, but has no trouble targeting his entire family.
- If you fail to give Björn enough resources too many times he will decapitate Kari in front of Blodeuwedd and Eirik, and then kill them both.
- Grim joins you when he finds out that Björn already killed his daughter, whom he was holding over Grim's head.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The blue-skinned Atlanteans who inhabit the island.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Njall will backstab Björn and join you, only to backstab you during the battle and go back to Björn.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: Implied with Parvaneh, who cheerfully relates how her mother was killed in front of her.
- Deity of Human Origin: According to Freyja, they were part of a human civilization once.
- The Quiet One: Grim, on account of being mute.
- Supreme Chef: Blodeuwedd has the highest stats in cooking when the game starts, but anyone could get the stat to 100.