Jeffrey (Angus Sampson) and Philip (Nathan Phillips) are two dimwitted best friends who live together in a caravan park in Melbourne. Jeffrey runs the unofficial fansite for Soap Within a Show Sons and Surf, while Philip acts in the local Gang Show, and both pine after their neighbor Karen (Rachel Hunter). But their happiness is ruined when they receive three pieces of bad news in one day: Peter Rossiter (Rock Hampton), who works at the unemployment office, is forcing them to work for their benefits, Sons and Surf is about to be axed, and their caravan park will be bulldozed to make room for a freeway. Jeffrey and Philip go on a quest to solve those problems.
You and Your Stupid Mate contains examples of:
- Ash Face: Jeffrey and Philip's attempts at employment include a stint at an old folks' home, where they use a kerosene bath to kill an old man's nits. Philip lets him smoke in the bathtub, causing an explosion that covers all three of them in ash.Old man: Me cigarette went out!
- Break-Up/Make-Up Scenario: While in jail after their failed publicity stunt, Jeffrey and Philip get in a fight and briefly stop talking to each other. They make up after Jeffrey sees a Sons and Surf episode where Emma fights with her best friend Brie (Natalie Garonzi) and Evo gives them a speech about how a friendship needs to be taken care of and nurtured during rough patches, leading the girls to hug and apologize.
- Catfishing: Jeffrey has cybersex with Hot Pants 69, a fellow Sons and Surf fan he met through his website. At the protest to save Emma, he finally gets to really meet Hot Pants 69, who turns out to be a middle-aged male dwarf in a wheelchair, played by Quentin Kenihan.
- Celeb Crush: Jeffrey's favorite Sons and Surf character is Emma (Madeleine West), a blonde who spends most scenes in a bikini top. When he finds out she's going to be killed off, he's even more upset than when he found out her show was going to be cancelled.Jeffrey: I think you are the most amazing woman on Australian television. And may I just add that I think that you represent everything that is kind and good and wholesome and beautiful in Australian womanhood.
- Flipping the Bird: A news helicopter flies low over the caravan park. Thinking he's being spied on, Jeffrey flips the double bird and yells "Piss off!" Then he tries to spray the helicopter with a garden hose, although the wind only blows the water in his face.
- Janitor Impersonation Infiltration: Jeffrey and Philip disguise themselves as female janitors in order to get onto the Logies for a publicity stunt they hope will prevent Emma from being killed off.
- Just Like Robin Hood: As Ned Kelly, Philip raps, "I rob from the rich to give to the poor! So don't worry, missus, if I come to your door!"
- Lens Flare: Lens flare from the spotlight appears when Philip stars as Ned Kelly in a show.
- A Minor Kidroduction: The movie opens with scenes of the protagonists playing pranks as children.
- Never Heard That One Before: When Jeffrey and Philip meet Evo (Tayler Kane), one of the stars of Sons and Surf, at a party, they both yell his catchphrase "What's going on here?" This causes a flashback to all the other times people have said "What's going on here?" to Evo. He yells, "Fuck off!"
- Not a Morning Person: Jeffrey and Philip consider 11 AM to be getting up early. They are not pleased to have to meet Rossiter at 7 AM.
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Jeffrey always waits five days to open letters that might contain bad news, in case it blows over during that time. He refuses to open his letter from the unemployment office, although Philip secretly opens his as soon as he's away from Jeffrey.Jeffrey: It's like that time we got our E-12 results. See, you opened yours and were sad. I didn't open mine, and I had a fantastic time.
Philip: You failed everything, Jeffrey.
Jeffrey: Yes, yes, I did, but I didn't know that I'd failed everything until 5 days later. See, that's five extra happy days that I had that you didn't have.
- Playing Sick: Jeffrey and Philip tell the unemployment office they're sick so they can attend a protest to save Emma, but Rossiter sees through their story and follows them to the protest.
- Putting the Pee in Pool: The pre-title sequence culminates with Jeffrey urinating in a pool. The pee reacts with a chemical in the water, causing the water around them to turn yellow. Other swimmers flee for the edges, and the lifeguard yells at them, delivering a Title Drop in the process.
- Title Drop: The protagonists are called "You and your stupid mate" by several different side characters.
- Urine Trouble: The dog Mitzi urinates on an issue of TV Week that has Emma on the cover, to Jeffrey's dismay.
- Vanity License Plate: Rossiter's plate says "JOBS4U1."
- Waving Signs Around: Philip brings dozens of Scouts to the protest to save Emma. They hold signs and banners that say "SAVE EMMA" and "SONS AND SURF."