Written, directed and starring Australian musician Yahoo Serious note , the film was created due to Yahoo's interest in Einstein's life after visiting the Amazon River. The film was made on a very small budget, even going so far as forcing Serious to sell his car to gain funds for it. The film was a hit in its home country of Australia and had modest success in the United States as well, making it the second-most successful Australian film upon its release.
This film provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Upon looking at his research, an inmate remarks that he is "keenly interested". Albert takes this to be his name.
- Affectionate Parody: Of Albert Einstein, Marie Curie and Charles Darwin. And pretty much every other historical personage named in the film (including Sir Isaac Newton, in the self-referentially titled book Young Newton).
- Alcohol Hic: Albert gets the hiccups when he first tries beer.
- Alternate Universe
- Ambiguously Jewish: The only hint of Albert's faith we get is him drunkenly warbling "Hava Nagila".
- Anachronism Stew: Invoked for comedy.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The energy from splitting Beerium Atoms.
- Artistic License Geography: Albert wanders past Ayers Rock/Uluru on his way from Tasmania to Sydney. Of course, he was lost.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Albert Einstein is the son of Tasmanian apple farmers who actually invented "Roll and Rock" and surfing.
- Disastrous Demonstration: Preston Preston steals Einstein's beer-bubble-maker and, in his ignorance, nearly nukes Paris in his attempt to demonstrate it.
- Einstein Hair: Yahoo Serious has claimed he decided to make a movie about Albert Einstein because he has the same hairstyle.
- "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner: Rather unexpectedly, from Charles Darwin, as the bomb is about to go off, and he sits quietly while everyone else is trying to run away screaming.Preston Preston: [grabs Darwin by the lapels] Quick! Where do I run?
Charles Darwin: It's an atomic bomb, Mr. Preston. There's nowhere to run to.
- Historical In-Joke: Sigmund Freud appears at the Science Academy Awards... with his mother.
- I Kiss Your Hand: Creepy flavour: Preston Preston to Marie Curie.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Albert has many accidents throughout the movie. He simply shrugs them off, as it's Played for Laughs.
- Land Down Under: Proudly on display throughout the movie.
- Leitmotif: Albert's is 'Waltzing Matilda', Marie's is a Parisian sounding accordion ditty.
- My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels: When Preston Preston tries to speak French.
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: "The characters depicted in this photoplay are fictitious, although the names of certain historical persons were used."
- The Power of Rock: Apparently rock can even drain the power from an atomic bomb. In fact, apparently, 4/4 time "will drain the power out of anything."
- Scenery Porn: Albert's journey to Sydney, via lots of places that aren't actually on a direct route.
- Steam Punk
- Unobtanium: Beerium
- X-Ray Sparks: While draining the energy off the 'atomic' bomb with his electric guitar.Albert: Don't worry, Marie! They're only electrons!