In the days leading up to the Super Bowl, player Dave Walecki (Ken Howard) has a bad knee, a drug addiction, and problems with his wife Nancy (Susan Howard). Jim McCauley (Tom Selleck) is being courted by a shady management firm. Meanwhile, a killer is targeting people connected to the favored Cougars, whom a gambling syndicate doesn't want to win. Now the Cougars' manager, Mike Shelly (David Janssen), has to find out why before the game is ruined.
Superdome contains examples of:
- Bitch Slap: Dave and Nancy both slap each other during an argument.
- Bloodless Carnage: Nobody bleeds, no matter how many times they've been shot.
- Climbing Climax: Lainie flees onto the Superdome's catwalks, and Mike chases her.
- Electrified Bathtub: The killer electrifies the whirlpool tub to kill McCauley.
- Functional Addict: Dave's addiction started with painkillers for his knee, then expanded into other kinds of drugs. It doesn't stop him from playing football, but it hurts his marriage.
- Hairpin Lockpick: The killer uses this to break into the stewardess Rita's hotel room.
- Janitor Impersonation Infiltration: The killer disguises as an electrician to tamper with the hot tub.
- Married to the Job: Dave Walecki's wife Nancy feels that she's lost him to the world of football.
- Mickey Mousing: A reverse example. The opening theme is synced up to the printing press shown in the opening credits.
- Sexless Marriage: Dave and Nancy haven't had sex in ages. Whenever she tries to initiate, he isn't interested.
- Shirtless Scene: McCauley gets one, along with some of his teammates, during a locker room scene.
- Slipping a Mickey: To help her husband P.K. Jackson's (Clifton Davis) team win the Super Bowl, Sonny (Vonetta McGee) pours a powder into McCauley's drink, which she says will leave him out of sorts for the next few days. Instead, his date Gail (Robin Mattson) drinks it, reacts badly, and ends up in the hospital.
- Special Thanks: "Grateful acknowledgement is given to the Louisiana Superdome and the HMC Management Corporation."
- Take My Hand!: Lainey freezes up from fear on the catwalk. Mike tells her to take his hand, then moves her hands along the railing until the security guards arrive.
- Title In: Every so often words will be written on the screen with typewriter sound effects, saying how long it is until the Super Bowl.
- Vorpal Pillow: The killer sneaks up on Rita in her hotel room and smothers her with a pillow.
- What Is Evil?: Lainie Wiley (Donna Mills) seduces married man Mike with a speech about the meaninglessness of morality. "If it feels good, do it" is practically her catchphrase. No surprise that she's the killer.