Anna Woodruff (Nikki Haddad) has Asperger syndrome, and her identical twin sister Sarah (Jessi Haddad) is going blind. Both twins are intensely involved in their imaginations, suffer from nightmares of the future, and engage in bizarre behavior such as synchronized hand movements. Child psychologist Dr. Reineger (Ed Gildersleeve) believes that he can cure the twins by rewiring their thought processes, and takes them into an institution for further study. After a family tragedy strikes, the twins escape the institution to search for the albino fawn, the being they believe is responsible for their disabilities and their visions.
Imagination contains examples of:
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: The twins finally meet the white fawn and are reunited with their dead mother. The search party can't find them or their bodies, only red-haired mannequins buried under vines. The movie ends with the searchers having a vision of the white fawn.
- Blood Is Squicker in Water: When the twins' mother Janice dies in a car crash when an earthquake strikes while she's on the freeway, her blood is shown staining the floodwater.
- Can't See a Damn Thing: Sarah is legally blind and can't see past the end of her nose. She is expected to be completely blind in a few years.
- Disappeared Dad: The twins' father eventually gets sick of them and their mother and leaves.
- Go to Your Room!: The twins' parents order them to their room when they won't stop playing with their food. They imagine their parents as being made out of vegetables.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Sarah hates their disabilities and wants them to be normal girls. Anna is much more comfortable with their differences.
- Jitter Cam: Done to represent an earthquake.
- Ms. Imagination: The twins view the world through the filter of their imagination.
- My Greatest Failure: Dr. Reineger views Sarah and Anna this way and wonders what he could have done differently.
- The Stinger: A two-minute scene of Dr. Reineger sitting in the forest in silence.
- Stop Motion: Most of the animated scenes use this.
- Twin Telepathy: During their shared visions, the girls merge into one being.
- Undercrank: Used during the girls' visions of wandering through the countryside.