Starfield is an upcoming "single-player epic" from Bethesda Game Studios. Officially announced at E3 2018, details are scant at this point, though Bethesda has stated that the game is in a playable state.
Like Bethesda's other flagship properties (The Elder Scrolls and Fallout), the expectation is that Starfield will be a Wide Open Sandbox Western RPG/Action RPG in a Constructed World with meticulous World Building, but set IN SPACE!.
Per Bethesda Director Todd Howard, the game will be released on the Ninth Generation of Video Game Consoles.
Previews: E3 Teaser Trailer
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: The teaser trailer shows some sort of explosion taking out a satellite and quite possibly the planet next to it.
- The Epic: A term specifically used by Bethesda when describing the game during its announcement.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: The teaser trailer is viewed through a camera lens, on which you can see flecks of ice and/or dust. As the sun catches the camera, a word written on the view device is reflected on the lens: "Constellation".
- Signature Style: Per Director Todd Howard, Starfield will be different than Bethesda's other flagship properties, but will still have Bethesda's signature elements:"It's different, but if you sit down and play it you would recognise it as something we made if that makes sense? It has our DNA in it. It has things that we like."
- Something Completely Different: A outer space "epic" for Bethesda, whose flagship properties are otherwise High Fantasy and Post-Apocalyptic Pulp Science Fiction settings.
- Space Is Noisy: The warp/explosion in the teaser trailer makes noise, including a "sonic boom" kind of sound at the end.