Starfield is an upcoming "single-player epic" from Bethesda Game Studios. Officially announced at E3 2018 including a teaser trailer with a full trailer released three years later at E3 2021, the game is set for release on November 11th, 2022.
Details on the plot are scant at this point. The player will join an organization known as "Constellation" and exploration will be a major theme.
Like Bethesda's other flagship properties (The Elder Scrolls and Fallout), the expectation is that Starfield will be a Wide-Open Sandbox Western RPG/Action RPG in a Constructed World with meticulous Worldbuilding, but set IN SPACE!. Bethesda Executive Director Todd Howard referred to it explicitly as "Skyrim in space", and has also called it a "NASA-punk space RPG".
Per Howard, the game will be released on PC and Xbox Series X|S.
- Cassette Futurism: Downplayed as the computer screens shown in the Release Date trailer are more modern, but the actual design of the ship draws heavy inspiration from the "Space Race" era of technology in the 1960s. Executive Director Todd Howard calls this type of design "NASA-punk".
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: The teaser trailer shows some sort of explosion taking out a satellite.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus:
- The teaser trailer is viewed through a camera lens, on which you can see flecks of ice and/or dust. As the sun catches the camera, a word written on the view device is reflected on the lens: "Constellation".
- Some weathering on a dashboard in the E3 2021 trailer appears to be in the shape of the provinces of Tamriel, the setting for Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls series.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Bethesda Executive Director Todd Howard referred to it explicitly as "Skyrim in space".
- Shout-Out: Two books appear on a shelf in the Release Date trailer: Sailing Alone Around the World and Omega: The Last Days of the World.
- Space Is Noisy: The warp/explosion in the teaser trailer makes noise, including a "sonic boom" kind of sound at the end.
- Space Pirates: Zooming in on the document in the Release Date trailer reveals it to be an official statement from the United Colonies fleet warning about space pirate activity from a group known as the "Crimson Fleet".
- Used Future: In the Release Date trailer, the exterior of the ship and its console show clear signs of use and weathering while sparks fly before the engine ignites.