The heart of Zoophobia is its eclectic, wildly original cast of characters. Ranging from humans to animals to the strangest of creatures and most mysterious of entities, they are the bread and butter of the story. And knowing all the characters Vivienne has created solely for this comic and shown us already, yet have not appeared in the comic so far, this page will be ever-growing in content.
Note: Due to the expected myriad of characters, please list all entries in alphabetical order.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: The art style gives most of the male characters these.
- Bioluminescence Is Cool: Many of the characters have glowing eyes/accessories/etc...
- Exotic Eye Designs: Many of the demon and animal characters have these. The author has made a key for what most of the eye designs mean.
- Hartman Hips: All of the girls, especially Cameron.
- Interface Screw: Each character has their own text bubble color, text color and handwriting style. For most characters, this is easy to read, though for some it actually makes it quite difficult. Cameron, being the most mundane of the cast, has the most normal handwriting.
- Morphic Resonance: The shapeshifter characters' human forms have hair and eye color matching their animal forms. (Baltimore, a Baltimore oriole has black and orange hair, and orange eyes in her human form.) The shapeshifters also deliberately wear clothing matching the colors and patterns of their animal forms, taking this trope even further.
- Multicolored Hair: Many characters have hair that is more than one color.
- Noodle People: Tend to be really thin and ludicrously flexible.
- Rule of Cute: Many of the characters. Ranging from Ridiculously Cute Critters to even Ugly Cute. Raises the question of What Measure Is a Non-Cute?
- Shapeshifting: Nearly every character is a shapeshifter of some sort, mostly those possessing an animal form. note
- "Soopitity-doopity to meetcha! My name is Alanzo but call me Al! It's shorter!"
As the Z.P. Academy Dance instructor, Alanzo is eccentric, zany and light-hearted, much like his wife. Despite his boundless sense of humor, his manner tends to come off as strange and abnormal to others.
- Camp Straight: He teaches dance and wears a tutu yet is quite happily married to Jackie.
- Fun Personified: Just look at his cheerfulness and circus tent colours.
- Happily Married: His first response upon seeing Jackie is to come over to hug her.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: He does, after all, teach ballet.
- Multicolored Hair: Red and blue with a touch of white, akin to a scarlet macaw.
- One of the Kids: He's a silly teacher who teaches silly students.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Like Jackie, he's actually a shapeshifting macaw (or an 'avian'), though his bird form is yet to be shown.
First appearance here.
- "S-so I'm stuck in the crazy magical world of oversized talking animals?"
A terribly neurotic young woman with an immense fear of animals, Cameron Walden is the protagonist of the introduction arc. She was recently fraudulently employed as the Z.P. Academy's new guidance counsellor. Despite her tendency to be faint of heart, she is go-getting, curious, and passionate to be of help to others. She also enjoys sleeping and long walks on the beach.
- Adorkable: At first, though the snark becomes as big a part of her personality.
- Apologises a Lot:Cameron: Im so sorry Im late!
Interviewer: Come in.
Cameron: Again, so sorry for being late.
Interviewer: Its alright.
- Audience Surrogate: Often on the receiving end of infodumps and text walls from other characters, meaning that the reader is too.
- Cute and Psycho: Invoked. While she's a go-getting young woman with a friendly personality, it's implied that the stress of being surrounded by your worst nightmare for the rest of her life will eventually break her, not that she's perfectly sane to begin with.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Screams in terror upon meeting her new coworkers.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: At first, she's skittish and nervous, leading to a few moments like this. Though as she gets used to living among the animals, this gets downplayed over time.
- Deadpan Snarker: On some occasions.Jackie: This is the "Arts" wing!!
Cameron: Oh my...never woulda guessed...
Jackie: Hahaha, sarcasm! I like you, Cam.
- Doom Magnet: Good things tend not to happen to her.
- Fate Worse than Death: Living in a world full of amazing creatures from all sorts of mythologies and legends sounds cool, right? Not if you're deathly scared of them, and if they view your species as lesser than theirs.
- Fiery Redhead: Inverted. As sarcastic as she can be, she's the calmest and most composed out of the entire cast.
- Hartman Hips: Not overly so, but they're still quite noticeable.
- Hot Teacher: Though more "cute" than hot. Fabian thinks so at least, he hits on her three times.
- Innocently Insensitive: Her zoophobia tends to make her come off as somewhat rude. Getting a deafening scream from her in response to an attempt at friendliness? No thanks.
- Locked Out of the Loop/Mind Screw: Snap.
- Naïve Newcomer: She is often on the receiving end of Infodumps and by proxy, so are we.
- Nervous Wreck: Being one of the few humans in a school full of animals, and quite zoophobiac, she tends to spend a lot of time cringing in a fetal position. Even provides the page image.
- Nice Girl: Her phobia aside, she sincerely wants to help others and tries to make sure her office is appropriately calming to her charges.
- Only Sane Woman: When you get past her phobia of animals, she's very easily this, and actually wants to help others overcome their problems.
- The Scream: Fond of these.
- Screaming Woman: Being a newcomer to the world ZP exists in, she is often horrified by the various things that happen to her.
- Shrinking Violet: Has a few elements of this, especially around the animals.
- The Stoic: When she's not screaming the place down.
- Stranger in a Strange School: An ordinary human teacher? In a school of animals, shapeshifters and other magical beings?
- The Team Normal: For ZP Academy.
- There Are No Therapists: Double subverted. She's a counselor and acts as the Living Emotional Crutch to many students and teachers, but she's terrible at it.
- Token Human: Which she is not happy about.
- Why Did It Have To Be Animals?: She provides the comic's title, after all.
- You Can't Go Home Again: According to the other staff, the magical contract that keeps Safe Haven safe will be void if anyone, Cameron included, tries to permanently leave.
- Youthful Freckles: Thanks to Art Evolution.
First appearance here
- "She sure is a scrawny-gangly-shaky lil' thang! Ain't she?"
With sharp-wit and masterful creature-handling skills, Carrie is certainly someone not to not be trifled with. She teaches Creature Studies at the Z.P. Academy.
- Action Girl: Don't worry, she's got this.
- Badass Teacher: She teaches creature-handling, and takes on a vampire with a lasso.
- The Beastmaster: Aforementioned teacher of such, owner of a monstrous demonic unicorn.
- Broken Bird: She's given up on love.
- Deadpan SnarkerCameron: Don't eat me!!!
Carrie: I ain't gonna eatcha! I'd get fired.
- Tsundere: While initially wary of Cameron (in contrast to the rest of the staff's receptiveness), she warmed up to her pretty quickly.
- Weird West: A lizard-demon cowgirl?
- "Oh nonsense Carrie. I think Ms. Cameron looks perfectly fine."
A suave and sultry fox with a very open mind. Despite his calm and collected mien, he is secretly constantly trying to escape the reminders of his wildly adventurous past. He teaches Psychology at the Z.P. Academy.
- Anything That Moves: Judging by his profile on the characters tumblr (see below).
- The Casanova: Has hit on Cameron three times and counting.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His previous New-Age Retro Hippie ways advocating inter-species relationships landed him a long list of enemies.
- Fantastic Foxes: Talking 30 year old human-sized fox.
- Hippie Teacher: He apparently used to be rather wild, but still has a bit of his old days left in him.
- Mysterious Past: He and Simon knew each other, but exactly how is yet to be revealed.
- Prehensile Tail: Uses it as a weapon against Simon and Venganza.
- Really Gets Around: When he was younger he was supposedly quite The Casanova. He grew out of it after getting someone pregnant.
- The Xenophile: He is a strong supporter of inter-species relations, and is more attracted to humanoids than other animals. Probably explains why he was hitting on Cameron.
Jacinta 'Jackie' Valdez
- "Not another word, Zech! I got this!"
The wacky, loud and cheerful Z.P. Academy Drama and Musical Theatre instructor. She loves her students and her work, and refuses to be censored. She is the one who gives Cameron a tour of the school on her first day. Despite her initial appearance, she is an Avian, a bird shapeshifter.
- Genki GirlJackie: That is the BEST attitude to have, Cam!!! I am so proud of you!!!
- Happily Married: Lovingly wed to fellow arts teacher, Alanzo.
- Multicolored Hair: Blue, yellow, and green.
- She and her husband's hair are shaped after their bird forms, macaws (in Jackie's case, a blue-and-yellow macaw).
- Tragic Dream: She gave up her dream of being a star performer in order to help kids who are looked down upon, though she doesn't seem to mind at all.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She can take on a harpy-esque appearance or become a full (oversized) bird. Her human form is her default form as it is easiest to move things around in.
First appearance here.
- "Is someone in need of a doctor?!!"
Creepy and ominous in movement and appearance, Keiko is not the most fitting school doctor. Not particularly skilled socially, she loves to scare people out of their wits. She finds it hilarious, not fully registering that fear is a serious thing. Works as a doctor at the Z.P. Academy, known for being a very competent surgeon but only the academy is willing to employ her with her looks and record. She adores stuffed toys, animals and cute things, oddly caring for them and taking them more seriously than her peers.
- Creepy Cute: Scissors for a hand? Check. Carved smile? Check. You'd-swear-it's-deliberate sinister nature? Check. Utterly lovable? Check.
- Cute Monster Girl: While the entire cast counts, male or female, Keiko deserves a special mention for being one of the most monstrous characters, yet also one of the cutest.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite her rather frightening introduction and appearance, she's shown no signs of maliciousness.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: She's creepily pale.
- The Gadfly: Deliberately creeps out both staff and students. While most are used to it, Cameron doesn't take it well.
- Grotesque Cute: Her disturbingly slashed mouth sure makes her quite a looker.
- Glasgow Smile: Torn right from the corners of her mouth to her ears.
- Japanese Mythology: She is based on the Japanese urban myth Kuchisake-Onna.
- School Nurse: An unusually freaky one.
First appearance here.
- "Good evening!...Morning?...Day!!"
Though he has been blind since birth, Malcom has interestingly enough landed himself the position of Z.P. Academy Flight Instructor, as well as being known for being more aware of his surroundings than most others seem to be. He is also known for making friends with the students and causing quite a bit of trouble for his fellow staff members.
- Cool Teacher: Makes friends with the students and pranks other teachers.
- Disability Superpower: He can get around just fine (even better than others), despite his condition.
- Handicapped Badass: Being blind is no obstacle for him, he's even a flight instructor!
- "Welcome to the Zoo, Cameron Walden!"
A creature of unknown species or origin, who is talkative and just a tad naïve. He is the teacher of languages at the Z.P. Academy and the first to happily welcome Cameron into the school.
- Creepy Cute: His lovableness doesn't completely distract from his slightly ghoulish appearance.
- The Fool: He's the only one who falls for Cameron's "What's over there?!".
- Gentle Giant: He's as friendly and welcoming as he is big.
- Motor Mouth: Oh yes.
- Nice Hat: He sports a dashing top hat.
- Nice Guy: Known as one of the kindest staff members.
- Omniglot: Practically a requirement of his job.
- "Save the jaw flappin' fer later, hunny."
Often cranky and irritable, she works as a messenger and envoy for Z.P. Academy and the rest of her world. She is known for her cigarette smoke tricks and expert marksmanship, carrying out duties requiring the latter of those skills.
- Deadpan Snarker: "Save the jaw flappin' fer later, hunny. I don't wanna fly with a headache."
- Shout-Out: Her name is Snake and she drives a plane.
- Smoking Is Cool: Very cool, apparently. So cool that she can perform tricks with the smoke.
- Surrounded by Idiots: She has zero tolerance for Cameron's naivete.
First appearance here.
The principal of Z.P. Academy. Although he doesn't speak much, he sure manages to look dashing in that suit. He can be expected to be seen sipping his favorite tea.
- Cthulhumanoid: He has a human body...and a squid head?
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: He had to be a man-squid.
- Fish People: Well, cephalopod.
- The Quiet One: He doesn't speak, he only slurps.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: He always wears his snazzy suit.
- Spot of Tea: You'll never see him without a cup of tea in his hands.
Zechariah, aka 'Zech'
- "You were not informed about this place before being sent here?"
The vice principal of Z.P. Academy, Zech is the ideal leader; confident, efficient, organized and a complete mystery to the rest of the school (including the staff). Like all vice-anythings, he has far more power than the actual principal.
- Prehensile Tail: Has a very long and flexible tail that he wears a watch on. And it's strong enough to restrain a vampire.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While the other staff members are all rather loony, he always has his wits about him.
- Shrouded in Myth: The students have a habit of making up outrageous legends about him, since not much is known about him.
- The Stoic: He keeps up his cool and calm demeanour...most of the time.
Addi is one of the art students from the ZP Academy. His best friends are Damian and Sahara, he usually spends most of his time with them since he's not very social. In chapter five, he develops a crush on Gustav.
- Camp Gay: Though mildly in just appearance and mannerisms, he's still got that sassy gay in him.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He is constantly, constantly mistaken for one.
- Interspecies Adoption: His adoptive mother, Latika, is a naga.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Without any styling, his hair naturally extends past his elbows.
- "Anything you can do, I can do better!"
A performer with the unwavering belief that she is the most skilled performer to ever exist. She does possess skill and talent to back up her words, but her arrogance and pride make her a favorable target for hatred.
- Alpha Bitch: Thinks she's the best, assumed to be the best, is almost the best.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She hides her joy in tormenting others behind a sweet, innocent demeanor.
- Evil Diva: She's a performer and sings, dances and acts. She also has a superior attitude and enjoys putting others down.
- Jerkass: Unpleasant and condescending towards just about everyone.
- Jerk with the Heart of a Jerk: She pretends to be sweet and innocent, but really enjoys tormenting people.
- Multicolored Hair: Black and orange.
- The Prima Donna: Talented? Yes. Beautiful? Yes. Insufferable? Yes.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Subverted. She DOES have a big ego, but she also has DOES have the skill and talent she brags about.
Who would've thought that the deer spirit of love and heart is the leader of a girl gang at the academy? Her rough and tough exterior masks a girl with a deep passion for dance, and a deeper passion for romance.
- Broken Bird: Her attempts at finding true love left her marked as being promiscuous.
- Good Bad Girl: She just wanted to share the love, but ends up becoming known as a "whore".
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: A violence-prone stripper who is just a misunderstood girl who is limited by her reputation.
- Jerk Witha Heartof Gold: Word of God is that she is a bully at the academy, yet is one of the kindest characters in the story.
- Older Than She Looks: She is an adult, she was just held back a few grades.
- Really Gets Around: Well, she sleeps with a lot of people.
- "You really got your work cut out for you, lady!"
The Son of the Devil himself, Damian is destined to inherit the throne as ruler of Hell. However, he finds that an absolute snore and would much rather hang around up on the surface with his friends. Damian is a hotshot; he's snarky and sociable and does as he pleases, repercussions aside. Despite seeming bratty, he's deeply passionate about things he loves and longs for nothing more than to live in the limelight and express himself freely.
- Anti Anti Christ: Introduces himself as the antichrist, but seems more interested in hanging out with his friends on the surface and tormenting his cousin.
- Becoming the Mask: Damian has a dark side that appears to take over him when he becomes overwhelmed.
- Bi the Way: "Flirty with any gender or species."
- Black Eyes of Evil: He does often act pretty evil, and his eyes are almost completely black.
- Combat Tentacles: Starts to grow them when angry at an evangelist.
- Comedic Sociopath: Locking your cousin in his locker for a week just so your so-called rival forgets his anniversary with his girlfriend? That's not normal behaviour even by Zoo-Phoenix standards.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Debatable. Damian does have inner evil inside, but under his outer layer of jerkiness, he's more or less a decent guy who just wants friends.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Jealous of Zill for dating Kayla, his obsessi-er, crush. To the point of attempting to engineer their breakup.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He makes a habit of going out of his way to annoy and provoke people, which drives them away from him despite his secret desire for companionship.
- Lonely Rich Kid: He hated the solitude of his palace in Hell.
- Mark of the Beast: Bears an inverted cross symbol that materializes and glows red upon his forehead.
- Parental Substitute: His caretakers Tentadora and Major Styx are this for him.
- Power Floats: He prefers to float rather than walk. Or stand.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has a Dark Side, often indicated by when his eyes glow red.
- Royal Brat: Quite a rambunctious spawn of the Devil.
- Screw Destiny: He doesn't care for his destiny to become ruler of Hell; he'd much rather play his banjo and have fun with his friends.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Wise Guy to Jack's Straight Man.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Can take the form of any living thing, though isn't the best at controlling this.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Wants his dad to approve of him.
- Your Makeup Is Running: Damian cries black tears, creating an illusion of this.
Considering herself an a feminist, she has little tolerance of "idiots" and would much rather hang with her own gender. She doesn't have many friends but yearns for more, if it wasn't for her prudeness repelling people like the plague.
- Book Worm: She enjoys reading and can often be seen carrying a book.
- Does Not Like Men: A side comic has shown that she believes all men are pigs.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Secretly wishes for more companions.
- Snake People: She's a serpentine, a snake shapeshifter.
- Straw Feminist: It's almost as if she believes men are inferior.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Has this attitude to most of her peers.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Her animal form is an eyelash pit viper.
DestinyOne of Camilla's bully gang members
Jackson 'Jack' Wells
- "Sorry! It's been a while since I had someone to talk to about my problems..."
Jack has endured quite the unfortunate life. Being blessed and cursed with the power of resistance to fatalities and overall immortality, he is still tragically able to experience all the horrific pangs of pain. It doesn't help that he has bad luck too. Despite this, he is as kind-hearted and gentle as they come.
- Adorkable: He's very nervous, awkward and cute.
- Amusing Injuries: Due to being cursed with bad luck he tends to suffer accidents such as being crushed by falling stage lights.Zill: Yeah, this happens a lot.
- Blessed with Suck: Being cursed/blessed by Satan with immortality and chronic bad luck? Pass.
- Deal with the Devil: His mother is responsible for his "gift".
- Born Unlucky: See Amusing Injuries.
- Break the Cutie: Subverted. Despite having a terrible fate, he's coping with it better than the rest of the cast is coping with their relatively minor problems.
- Butt-Monkey: Does anything good ever happen to him?
- Childhood Friends: With Zill. Apparently he 'found' him when he was 5.
- Evil Uncle: Well, his uncle is Satan.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Suffers fatal injuries on a regular basis.
- Nervous Wreck: Constantly nervous because of his curse.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive to Zill's Manly.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Straight Man to Damian's Wise Guy.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Because he's Born Unlucky he's not particularly enthusiastic about his immortality.
Jay Jay (Jay Burdell)
A blue-furred werewolf girl who loves to party hard.
Hasn't appeared in the comic yet, but has achieved a fair amount of popularity in part for being the main focus of Vivziepop's ''Die young - animation''.
- Breakout Character: She has made very few if any appearances in the comics themselves and yet (mostly because of the Die Young animation) she's arguably the most popular and recognizable character to be associated with it.
- Clothing Damage: During her transformation sequence◊.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her unevenly torn stockings.
- Genki Girl
- Life of the Party: Seems to be her primary trait.
- Magic Pants: Despite becoming significantly bigger in her wolf form, her clothes stretch comfortably with the transformation—the only things damaged are her shoes and (ironically) her pants.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: According to the answers given on the author's blog, she turns human on the full moon and is a big blue wolf the rest of the month.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Too soon to tell, but they can be pretty jarring.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She dyes her fur various colors.
- "I mean, I don't mind whatever he planned. Anything would be fine with me. But he always does the most romantic things!"
The sweetheart of the academy, Kayla is always doing her very best to maintain both a stellar report card as well as express herself in her deepest passion: theatre. Kind-hearted and clear-headed, Kayla is an inspiration to all. But don't let her seemingly soft demeanour fool you; she's a powerhouse in fencing.
- Action Girl: She's not afraid to get involved.
- Awesome Aussie: According to Word of God, she's got a faint Australian accent.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: All three!
- Beware the Nice Ones: She takes on Venganza with a fencing foil when she first tries to feed on Zill.
- Humanoid Female Animal: Is one of the most anthropomorphized animal characters who isn't a shapeshifter.
- Idol Singer: A very talented musician who's admired by many.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Generous and kind to a fault, she goes out of her way to make others feel accepted.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: The gentle, compassionate sort.
- Kangaroos Represent Australia: Subverted, there's nothing Australian about her.
- Word of God says she has a very faint Australian accent.
- Nice Girl: Apparently to a fault, though even she's got her limits, as evidenced by Zill forgetting their anniversary.
- She's Got Legs: Kangaroo legs, that is.
- True Blue Femininity: Her "color" is pastel blue.
- Tsundere: Type B. Predominantly sweet but has a vicious temper.
KestralKestral is Shy and Quiet boy who attends ZP academy
- Long-Lost Relative: Word of God states that Kestral is Jackies nephew, but its unknown if they have crossed paths.
Kristinaanother member of Camilla's bully gang
Leonardo 'Leo/Lenny' and Vincent 'Vince/Vinny'
- "Leo: Dude! Damian! Your Nanny is fiiine! "H-O-T" fine!!""Vince: Lucky Bastard!!"
- Adorkable: Leonardo with his messed up eye, missing teeth and obsession with explosives. Vincent tends to be more suave.
- Butt-Monkey: Leonardo gets the brunt of the jokes.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Leonardo is a little cuckoo.
- Nice Hat: One of the easier ways to tell Vinnny from Lenny is the fedora he always wears.
- Plucky Comic Relief: You can count on them to lighten the mood by cracking a joke or two.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Leonardo is the one who loves stunt scenes and explosives (red), Vincent is the one specializing in the effects and editing (blue).
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Shockingly enough, Leonardo is the sensitive, nervous one despite his love of explosives while Vincent is more tough and hard-headed film editor.
- Those Two Guys: They're nearly inseparable twins after all.
First appearance here.
A real oddball with a scruffy appearance, Mackenzie is seen as a bit of a strange little girl and faces rejection by others often. Her unpredictable nature and general deviance hide the many talents and abilities she possesses. Oh, and she enjoys cats...a lot.
Was originally named Afkinz and considered male, but was renamed Mackenzie and confirmed to actually be female here
- All of the Other Reindeer: Nobody else seems to like her, though it's worth noting that they do consider her presence, but assume she wouldn't want to join them based on her body language.
- Cloudcuckoolander:She's clearly a bit quirkier than the others.
- Crazy Cat Lad/Lady: She keeps a cat in her hair, hisses like a cat and wears a cat hat for her talent show audition.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: She can do just about anything proficiently, though never masterfully.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: She loves cats, and she can be fun to be around if you're on her good side.
- Rapunzel Hair: Floor length and irreparably messy to boot.
- Loners are Freaks She's shown to be very introverted and outcast, though it has only been explored to an extent, and it has yet to be discussed if she's optionally isolating herself, or if she's isolated by others. See also Lonely but Friendly since she is shown to look sad when the other students say that she doesn't look like she'd want to come with them, and therefore do not ask and leave her behind, even though she seems to have wanted to come, but she doesn't say anything, assumably feeling unwanted.
First appearance here.
A literal drama queen, or at least that's what she claims to be. Penelope is aloof and vain, as her outspoken attitude and theatrical talent lead others to believe that she is the top performer in the Z.P. Drama Class. However, with Kayla as competition, it's highly unlikely that this is the case. Penelope also harbors a prejudice against animals, but deep down has her own issues with herself to deal with.
- Fantastic Racism: Has a prejudice against any animal that isn't a birdnote .
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: Wears peacock feathers in her hair.
- Hidden Depths: Despite her apparent haughtiness, she's very insecure of herself.
- Ice Queen: Cold and snooty on the surface.
- Peacock Girl: Turns into one, wears the feathers and print of one.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Her avian form is a peahen.
First appearance here.
An avid LARP-er, Quintin is very much a classic fantasy nerd. He loves playing role-playing games with friends but doesnt get out to much and can be shy when around people he isnt as close to. He is friendly and intelligent, being extremely skilled at mathematics and special effects animation and coding. Has an obsession with wizards and dreams of becoming one, and can do some basic spells with the help of his adopted sister Sahara. He's actually more gifted with magic then she is, but has much less practice.
- Black and Nerdy: He's Egyptian, to be specific.
- Extraverted Nerd: Can be very outgoing and social when he's comfortable.
- LARP: He's an avid LARPer!
- Nerd Glasses: The classic thick, black-rimmed glasses.
First appearance here.
- "For my act, I'm gonna demonstrate some traditional magic!"
Silly, sweet and sassy, Sahara is the tour de force in her trio of friends consisting of herself, Damian, and Addison. Belonging to a magical bloodline but unfortunately lacking in powers herself, she is often seen hopelessly tampering with the supernatural- with less than desirable results. Orphaned early in her life, she was taken in and adopted by Quintin's family, and has since been happily living as a human in a world full of anything but them.
- Happily Adopted: She has no qualms with her familial situation.
- Magical Girl: Though her spells may not be so reliable, she's at the very least capable of conjuring one.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Her bloodline is supposed to be magical but she fails spectacularly at magic no matter how hard she tries◊.
- Ritual Magic: Attempts to cast it anyways.
- Sassy Black Girl: She has her moments. Her response to hearing that Zill forgot his and Kayla's anniversary was "Aw hell no!"
Samuel 'Spam' O'Brien
Bright-eyed and bushy tailed, Spam is the happiest-go-luckiest little fella you'll ever meet. He always looks on the positive side of things and enjoys the simple little splendors of life.
- Cheerful Child: Always has a smile on his face, and looks younger than most of the other characters.
- The Cutie: Dawww.
- Fun Personified: He practically radiates sunshine and smiles.
- Hidden Depths: Silhouette suggests he's not always all smiles and happiness.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: The naive, carefree sort.
- Keet: He's awfully excitable.
- No Sense of Personal Space: So far, his randomly licking people has become a Running Gag. And one can only wonder how long he's been in that locker.
First appearance here.
Considering himself to be a ladies man, Taylor tries his hardest to be the cool guy that everyone knows, the guy everybody wants to be. Too bad his rival Zill already is.
- Casanova Wannabe: He sees himself as suave and flirtatious, when he's really just a childish try-hard.
- Innocently Insensitive: Word of God says he doesn't think before he talks, but means well.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to his friend Orion's sensitive guy. Funny enough, Taylor's the one who likes dancing and singing while Orion loves sports.
- Latin Lover: Thinks he's this. He's more of a Casanova Wannabe.
- Unknown Rival: Thinks of Zill as his rival, but according to a character relationship chart the author drew, Zill doesn't seem to think the same.
- Sibling Rivalry : Has got a bad relationship with his sister.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Tom can change his form but he isn't good at it.
- Horny Devils: As an incubus, he is bound in his duty to collect souls. But unlike most of his kind, Tom has gotten emotionally attached to a number of intended victims. He is ashamed of this weakness. Often, when he is rejected by someone he genuinely likes, he retaliates with violent negative attention. He has killed those whom don't accept his affection.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When it comes to Addison and Gustav's blossoming relationship, he is rather clingy and possesive.
- "Enjoy your stay."
Little is known about Vanex, and she prefers to keep it that way. She's usually seen buried deep within a book or leering at by-passers. She seems to be cold and emotionless but one can only assume that deep down she has a good heart.
- Broken Bird: Implied that she has a difficult family life.
- I Work Alone: Decidedly a loner, she doesn't crave any company but her own (or a book's).
- Loners Are Freaks: Most of the other students at ZP seem to be a bit creeped out by her and avoid her.
- The Quiet One: She rarely speaks.
- The Stoic: Never seems to show any kind of emotion.
Zillion 'Zill' Martinez
- "Catcha later baby!"
Zill is the all around great guy that everybody wants to know and every other guy wants to be. He's kind and caring but strong and focused. His confidence has built up over the years after getting over his insecurities over his rather odd appearance. He's the star of the academy's drama department, alongside his girlfriend Kayla.
- Emerald Power: His powers glow an incandescent green.
- Eye Colour Change: Purple to green when he uses his powers.
- Forgetful Jones: Has a tendency to forget important issues, such as his and Kayla's anniversary.
- Heinz Hybrid: Something like a demon/dragon/chimera mix.
- The Hero: He's known as a bit of a crime-fighter.
- Popular Is Dumb: Being so well-liked can lead to him being clueless and forgetful.
- Power Gives You Wings: His wings appear out of nowhere when he wills them to.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Pulls these on Kayla here when trying to persuade her to get back together with him. It...doesn't sway her.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: His brave, confident nature is the manly to Jack's sensitive.
- Why Did It Have To Be Vampires?: The first (true) villains that appear in the comic are vampires, of whom Zill incidentally has a deep fear of.
- Wild Child: Zill was quite... different as a child than he is now.
- "Girl. I.Say.Again! Please get off ze stage."
Gustav is generally very calm and collected, with highly refined and judgemental tastes. Despite his seemingly elitist and sharp attitude, he's prone to jealously quite easily. A graduate of the Z.P. Academy and a former student of Jackie, he often drops by to aid her in judging the annual talent show auditions among other drama-related duties.
- Bi the Way note
- Cat Smile: He has one for no particular reason.
- Collector of the Strange: He has a secret passion for paleontology and is a collector of animal skulls and fossils.
- Foreign-Language Tirade: His first language is german, and sometimes he switches words.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Yep, he's just a jerk. note
- Smug Snake: A serpentine shapeshifter with an arrogant smirk.
- Snake People: His other form is a snake.
- The Proud Elite: Tends to be very judgemental over talent.
First appearance here.
- "What I'm always watching. DREAMS!!"
- Abusive Parents: Word of God says Jestine wants her daughter, INK, dead.
- Expressive Hair: Her ever-changing hair colours also shift to match her emotions, though it mostly goes blazing red when she's angered/slightly annoyed.
- Wordof God is that Jestine despises how colorful she is.
- Grumpy Bear: She truly is eternally grumpy.
- Horned Hairdo: A twist on this- she literally has horns coming out of her hair.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: That constantly changes color based on her mood.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Represents the sin of Pride.
- "So lets get this party started then, shall we?"
Mysterious, unpredictable and downright insane, she appears to take a particular interest in the activities of a certain orange-haired anxious newcomer...
- Ambiguously Evil: Reckless jokester or sinister manipulator?
- Actually, she really isn't evil, just completely insane. She never does anything out of spite.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Just look at that demented smile.
- Evil Laugh"Hm hm hm hm ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAAA"
- Magic Hair: Her hair seems to be everywhere, all at once.
- Perpetual Smiler: Never a frown to be seen.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: The unhinged, rabid kind. It also has to do with her shapeshifting abilities.
- The Mad Hatter: She enjoys every single second of her madness.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Strongly hinted to be very powerful, though the innate madness throws you off.
- "The only text you kids should be reading is the holy word of the Lord!"
- Ambiguous Species: According to Word of God he's half dog and half cat, yet believes interspecies breeding is sinful.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Very wide and toothy grin that doesn't exactly seem appropriate to his evangelist profession.
- Easy Road to Hell: Claims reading comic books is "a one way ticket to eternal damnation."
- The Fundamentalist: Head of a fundamentalist group called "The Saved".
- Mugging the Monster: He tries to convince Damian that comic books are sinful. This is Damian's response.
- The Soulsaver: He stubbornly thinks of himself as one, when in reality all he does is irritate passers-by.
First appearance here.
- "Actually! I would love to...See...."
An outright optimist, Nathan sees the world through rose-tinted glasses despite all the hardships he faces. His happy-go-lucky, super-dee-duper plucky outlook on life carries him onward and drives his ambition. He, like Gustav, is also an alumni of Z.P. Academy and former student of Alanzo's dance class. He often visits the school to help out, as well as maintaining various side-jobs in hopes to eventually break into the starlight. He has a one way crush on Gustav.
- Adorkable: Is a little shy.
- Large Ham: His sunny personality is quite over-the-top.
- Nice Guy: He compliments Afkinz's apparently terrible performance.
First appearance here.
- "Fine! Have a nice day."
Skoni is the community mailman. Although it's a typically thankless job, he nevertheless manages to enjoy the task.
- Creepy Cute: Some kind of unidentifiable creature with blank black eyes and what looks like stitches, but if you get past that.
- Glasgow Grin: His mouth is made up of a stitches-looking pattern stretching across his face.
- Seen It All: Type 3, his response to Cameron swinging a bat at him is an exasperated "It's been two weeks lady! I'm here to deliver your MAIL!" With a society like his, this is a given.
First appearance here.
- "HAHAHAHAHAHA!! COWER IN FEAR PEASANT CHILDREN!!"
A self-proclaimed megalomaniac, he considers himself the baddest of the bad (and makes sure everyone knows it), but he's really nothing more than a pest who has a habit of popping up in places he's most unwelcome.
- Blow You Away: He holds power over wind, but he's yet to be seen displaying these abilities that he boasts so much about, other than a few flashy gusts here and there.
- Harmless Villain: He does nothing but ruin peoples' hairdoes with his dramatic entrances. Seriously.Horris: I hearby challenge you to a duel of power and skill!
Zill: Yeeeeah...I really don't have time for this.
- Large Ham
- Power of the Storm
- Smug Super: Expect him to never, ever, be humble about his ostentatious wind powers (which really aren't all that).
- "Ya know I expected a much bigger fight then this..."
Master of snark and devoted subservient of Venganza, he is eternally bound to serve her every whim. Literally, since she turned him into a vampire, but he wouldn't have it any other way.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: He protects and fights for Venganza.
- Canine Companion: He's Venganza's vampire wolf.
- Evil Minions: He follows her every word.
- Happiness in Slavery: He willingly gave himself into being her servant.
- Hell Hound: Vampire wolf, anyone?
- Knight of Cerebus: Along with his master.
- Prehensile Tail: As seen here when he grabs Zill's neck with it.
- Servile SnarkerFabian: How dare you enter this school and endanger our students!
Simon: So you're a teacher, huh? Figures.
Fabian: Are you even listening to me?!
Simon: Not really.
- Sssssnake Talk: "You owe my mistressss an apology."
First appearance here.
- "I can see the fear in your eyes."
- Knight of Cerebus: She and Simon are the first truly chaotic evil characters, and threat to appear.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Applies to herself and to her victims, whose eyes glow red when she subdues them for feeding.
- Vampire Monarch: She's referred to as a Vampire Queen, to be exact.
First appearance here.
Bob and Larry
Major Styx's subordinates and henchmen of Hell. Bob never fails to fall short of Styx's work quota, while Larry seems to be a tad more aware of things (though that's not saying much).
- Those Two Guys: There is no Bob. There is no Larry. Only a Bob and Larry.
First appearance here
- "So it sounds like The Dame is up on the surface world!! I have a hunch...follow me girls..."
Manipulative and devious, Bozzwick has a tendency to act without thinking and put himself before others. Easily bored and blunt, he can also be very perverse, often causing awkward situations or toying with peoples emotional states. His devilish ways cause him to be a heartbreaker on the surface world, unlike in hell where almost everyone is very crazy and loose with things. Very good at manipulating Damians inner demon. Bozzwick has a spiteful relationship with Damian. Posing as his friend, he secretly enjoys making things hard for him or upsetting him.
- False Friend: Pretends to be Damien's friend, but secretly enjoys making things hard for him.
- Only a Flesh Wound: His chest is constantly bleeding but it appears to have no effect on him all that much.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: While he's not exactly evil, he's definitely devious and his main color scheme is red, black and white.
- Sarashi: Has bloody bandages covering his bleeding chest.
- ShapeShifting: Can shapeshift into a Bleeding Heart Pigeon.
First appearance here
- "HOW COME I AM ONLY JUST NOW LEARNING OF THIS UNRULY DEMON STUFF?"
Stern and ultra organized, Major Styx is Satan's no-nonsense right-hand man, and keeping Hell functioning in tip-top shape is his highest priority. Unfortunately for him he commonly finds himself dealing with the most insufferably chaotic of people and situations where he somehow the blame and responsibility always falls on him. Despite his sour demeanor, Styx is deep, deep, deep down caring and only wants the best for everyone he holds close to his frigid little demon heart.
- Color Contrast: Unlike the majority of Hell's demons who are usually found in varying shades of red and black, Major Styx is an eyesore of bright blue.
- Comical Angry Face: Pretty much every face he makes when angry nearly.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He's very easily frustrated.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The blue to Tentadora's pink.
- Our Demons Are Different: Styx may be a demon of authority in Hell, but he resembles a blueberry more than he does a demon.
First appearance here
Lucifer 'Satan' Beelzly
The Lord of Darkness and Ruler of Hell himself, Lucifer attains a strict order over all in which he presides. He also intends to keep Damian, his son, in tight order so he will be fit for ruling Hell himself one day. Unfortunately, his son is less than enthusiastic about this.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Seems to be this as an embodiment of Lawful Evil rather than a pure Eldritch Abomination.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Combines this with Red Eyes, Take Warning. When angery he even seems to grow Extra Eyes to emphasize this even more.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Perhaps not "Jerkass," (though he IS Satan after all) but when he yells at Damian, Tenta and Styx about there being laws against demons in Safe Haven that could have gotten Damian killed and they didn't have his permission anyway, he's completely right.
- Lawful Evil: Stated in-universe to be the alignment that he and the demons under his control subscribe to. Shown in his anger at his son and his caretakers. One of the reasons he brings up is that there are laws against demons in Safe Haven.
- Mark of the Beast: Like Damian, Lucifer bears the inverted cross symbol on his body.
- Our Dragons Are Different: While he's not a dragon, his physical form tends to be draconic in appearance.
- Throat Light: His mouth glows like the inside of a blast furnace.
First appearance here.
- "Why do you hate it here, baby...?
- Cool Crown: Wears a spindly black tiara.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Is skinny even for the art style, with a rather fluffed out chest.
- Happily Married: Vivienne has said that she and Satan have the most stable relationship in the comic.
- Humanoid Female Animal: Pretty much the only point that would make her less anthropomorphic than her son would be that she seems to have paws instead of hands.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hair completely covers her right eye.
- "Yooou worry tooo much ♥"
A literal "hell machine", Tentadora was artificially created for the sole purpose of serving as a bodyguard for Damian when he was born but has since-forth adopted the role of being his 'nanny' as well. Her seductive appearance was modelled to give her the dual purpose of being a temptress on the surface world, tempting people to commit adultery and other sins to lure more souls into corruption for Hell to claim. She has fun with her task, but her true nature is far from what she seems; she is extremely silly, fun-loving and nurturing of Damian.
- Hidden Depths: Seductress who is as silly as a pelican on a unicycle?
- Ninja Maid: Created to protect Damian and destroy anything that would harm him. Damian calls her his "Nanny."
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The pink to Styx's blue.
- Pink Means Feminine: The whole shebang; pink hair, pink eyes and pink dress complete with pink stilettos.
- Rapunzel Hair/Long Hair Is Feminine: It drags on the floor when she walks.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Not always though. When protecting Damian, she goes for a more mechanical look with a chainsaw for a hand. However, most of the time, she looks more humanoid than robotic.
- Say It with Hearts: Almost all of her dialogue is decorated with little pink hearts.
- Stacy's Mom: Note all the 14-18 year old students gawking at her.Lenny: Dude! Damian! Your nanny is fiiine! H-O-T fine!
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair: Bright pink that can't possibly be natural, which it isn't.
Verin, Vetis, and Vespa (The Devil Sisters)
- "Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee!"
Verin, Vetis, and Vespa are demon triplets who reside in Hell. Absolutely bonkers, positively zany, and down-right kooky: these three are constantly driving anyone they encounter up the wall. They are incredibly fond of Damian and follow him around everywhere in the Underworld.
- Bioluminescence Is Cool: The outlines of their horns glow bright red.
- Exotic Eye Designs: All three have unique pairs of eyes. It's pretty much the only way to tell them apart.
- Hellish Pupils: Quite literally for Vetis who's eyeball has an inverted pentagram design as well as Vespa who bears inverted crosses.
- MonkeyMoralityPose: Their motifs are based upon this. Verin is blind, Vetis is deaf, and Vespa is mute.
- Talking with Signs: Vespa is mute and uses these to communicate.
First appearance here