The 22nd of Nickelodeon's Nicktoons, The X's was a short-lived American animated television series created by Carlos Ramos about a family of spies, who must hide their identity from the outside world, but sometimes have a little trouble in doing so.
The Xs work for SUPERIOR. The Xs have a young boy named Truman, a teenage girl named Tuesday, and many gadgets at their disposal.
An organization called S.N.A.F.U. (Society of Nefarious and Felonious Undertakings) is continually trying to cause trouble for the Xs in their plans to take over the world.
The family is often compared to the Pixar movie The Incredibles.
Contains examples of:
- Action Mom: Mrs. X
- This gets deconstructed in one episode, where Mrs. X is such an Action Mom that she never relaxes and does everything in an extreme manner, annoying her family to the point they send her on a tranquility retreat.
- Badass Family: They kick butt though in a rather goofy way.
- Captain Obvious: "You know, when I was your age I was younger."
- Day of the Week Name: The daughter's name is Tuesday.
- Department of Redundancy Department: "Tuesday dating makes me feel old! And... OLD!"
- Do I Really Look Like That?: In "Homebody", Home Base shows the X's an anime-esque video of himself as a hero with the X's praising him. Mr. X thought that his nose looks pointy.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The spy manual is very precious to Mr. X and doesn't question it. He considers it holy, like another certain book...
- Even the Guys Want Him: Truman hates Brandon, Tuesday's boyfriend. But Tuesday used a truth ray on him, who admits he finds Brandon cool and wants to be his sidekick, he feels embarrassed about it.
- Expy: Truman is a combination of Bart Simpson and Dexter.
- Faceless Goons: S.N.A.F.U. henchmen (they wear fishbowl helmets).
- Heroes Want Redheads: Truman, a redhead himself, had two crushes who are also redheads (as well as having green eyes, freckles, and buckteeth). First is Andrea from "From Crusha With Love", who bullies Truman to go on a date with her; after their date was ruined by the X's, Truman was starting to like her. Second is Kimla from "Truman Scorned", a sci-fi geek and Tuesday's science partner, who thinks Truman is "a little kid"; in this case, it was Love at First Sight for Truman.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Tuesday from has hair that is constantly changing color, sometimes in-between scenes.
- Lethal Chef: Mrs X, as shown in the show's intro. Mr X was this at first, but he got better.
- Limited Social Circle: Tuesday and Truman don't appear to have any friends in their respective schools.
- Mama Bear: In "Truman X: Super Villain", when it appears that Truman has been captured by Glowface, Mrs. X becomes EXTREMELY pissed and drives the ship at fast speed to Glowface's lair, terrifying Mr. X.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Parodied in the episode "Live and Let Diaper". Tuesday, as part of a series of pop psychology parenting experiments, attempts to hypnotize the baby the family's watching. Using the familiar "You are getting sleepy" intonation, she chants "Your eyes are becoming spinning spirals". She accidentally ends up hypnotizing herself, though this trope is still averted: her eyes simply roll around before she falls asleep.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Mr and Mrs X try to blend in their superspy skills into the most mundane activities.
- Noodle Incident: What happened to The Zs. The Ys imply that they were responsible, much to a horrified Mrs. X stating "they said it was an accident."
- Papa Wolf: See "Mr. Fix It".Nobody eats my son!
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The whole show centers around this.
- Parental Bonus: When Tuesday is about to go on a date with Brandon:Mrs. X: Remember, sweetie, never divulge any spy secrets on the first date. Oh sure, he may seem nice, but he's only after one thing.
- Also...SNAFU usually means something different than Society of Nefarious and Felonious Undertakings...note
- The Prankster: Tuesday is actually better at being this than Truman.
- Shoe Phone: Mr. X has one.
- Temporarily a Villain: Tuesday was an antagonist in "To Err is Truman".
- Unmanly Secret: Mr. X tried to hide the fact he played with model trains from his family for fear they would think less of him. His wife and Tuesday don't have any issue with his hobby. Truman however reacts as he expected.
- Villains Out Shopping: There's is one episode Glowface was shopping for...of all things...ERASERS.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Tuesday (sometimes its green, purple in "The Spy Who Liked Me"; it is revealed in one episode that she actually has red hair).