The You! Exclamation is the classic expression of surprise and/or anger upon sighting another character, usually a nemesis.
As several of these examples are clearly aware, this is kind of pointless for any reason besides that the extreme emotion the sight evokes needs some word to give it form, and as it is directed towards that character, the second-person pronoun is the only obvious choice. Sometimes, the person being addressed will respond with "Who else?" or "In the flesh" or some variation.
A typical use of this exclamation is to demonstrate that the two characters know and don't like each other, but the audience doesn't yet know why. Sometimes the audience doesn't find out who the "You!" is until later.
In Japanese media, it can get more complicated: many words in Japanese directly translate to "you," and depending on the word used, "you!" can connote anything from "hey, there" to "You Killed My Father, Prepare to Die," to anything in between. Pragmatic dubbers tend to use the connotation instead of the literal translation.
You! read these examples:
- Many an anime or manga series, will have someone exclaim "Omae!" as the Japanese equivalent of this, with "Kisama!" and "Teme!" as much more severe examples. There's also "Onore!", but that's more like saying "How dare you!", "Nandatte?" (literally "What did you just say?, but also commonly translated as "You WHAT?") and "Kono yaro!" (literally "This man"), a general synonym for "You bastard!"
- At the end of Preacher, God says this upon seeing the Saint of Killers waiting for him at home. His response is typically understated.
Saint Of Killers: Me.
- In Scott Pilgrim when Ramona comes back to life, Gideon exclaims this.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Comics): Two covers of the series has Sonic emphasise use of this trope:
- In #75, following the previous issue, Sonic and his friends discover the Robotnik they thought was dead was actually an alternate dimensonal version, who would later become known as Dr. Eggman.
- #220 is less direct, but it reveals that his friendly rival, Geoffery St. John is working with Ixis Naugus. Alternatively, St. John betrayed Sonic last issue, with hints that he's helping Naugus in the first place, as opposed to originally helping King Max.
- In #247, Silver gets a very icy one of these from Sonic, who is still super pissed off about his Windmill Crusader antics.
- In an issue of Supergirl written by Peter David it was a running gag. Supergirl, believed to be dead, goes to Metropolis to see Superman (among other reasons). She runs into Lex Luther and gives him the You!, and he responds along the lines of "what am I supposed to say to that? "Me"?" Immediately after another character gives him the line, and he sighs and says "Me." The trope is tossed on its ear when she finally meets up with Superman and he exclaims "You!" Turn the page and you get a full page shot of her giving the Man of Steel a big bear hug and reassuring him "Me!" Sweet.
- In the very beginning of The Hunt for Reactron, Kara sees Thara right after villainess Mirabai has tricked her into believing Thara attacked her. Kara shouts a very loud "YOU!" before punching Thara into a car.
- Abraxas (Hrodvitnon): This is Vivienne Graham's reaction when she recognizes Alan Jonah at the end of Chapter 2.
- Swing123 and garfieldodie's Calvinverse:
- In Child of the Storm, this is Gravemoss's reaction when the Phoenix manifests during the Final Battle. She, in turn, gives a smug "Me" in response.
- In the Pretty Cure fanfic Glitter Force: Into the Glitterverse, this is Reika's furious reaction to finding out that Joker had prevented her and Honoka from reaching Tsubomi and her team in time, thus letting them fall victim to the titular Glitter Force.
- Guys Being Dudes: Upon Arlo's mystery love interest revealing himself to be Spark, her main rival among the team leaders, Sierra's only response is "You."
- In Harry Potter and the Last Chance, this is Harry's Grim Reaper's reaction to him showing up in the afterlife for the twelfth time.
- Hearts of Ice: Emma-O lets out a loud, demanding "You! Come here!" when he notices the presence of one soul who doesn't belong in Hell.
- It happens in Hellsister Trilogy when Supergirl calls Satan Girl a weak, pathetic copy.
<Oh, will you?>, asked Kara. <I thought for certain that you wanted to tear me apart with your own hands. Except it hasn't been that easy, has it? Maybe you're just not up to it, after all... since you're just a pretty pathetic copy of me.>
- Inner Demons: Queen! Twilight Sparkle's angry reaction when Spike confronts her in Fillydelphia.
- In I Did Nothing this is Snape's reaction to Remus stepping out of McGonagall's fireplace at Hogwarts.
- In Kyon: Big Damn Hero, Taniguchi receives Kunikida this way when the latter is arriving to their classroom so Kunikida has his complete attention on Taniguchi's Quit Your Whining speech.
- In Lesser Evils this is Harry's reaction to being drawn into Voldemort's mindscape.
- In Loved and Lost, Princess Cadance exclaims this when her rotten cousin Jewelius appears to interrupt her You Shall Not Pass! moment against Commander Hildread before injuring her off-screen.
- The Miraculous Ladybug fic Intense (Like Camping) has Marinette and Adrien each discovering the other's secret identity while on the way to a camping trip, after they both catch Tikki and Plagg in the food cooler. Since Nino and Alya are in the car with them, the two are forced to freak out about this reveal as silently as possible. Marinette eventually pulls out her phone and spends some time trying to compose a text message to Adrien, finally settling on "YOU?!?"
- Naru-Hina Chronicles: Evil Sasuke says that three times in a row upon seeing Sasuke at the end of Chapter 74.
- In The Night Unfurls, Michelle exclaims "Y-You!" as Kyril catches him red-handed having his way with Maia.
- Queen of All Oni: This is Drago's reaction upon confronting Blankman in the present. Since Drago is from the future, Blankman has no idea who he is and merely gives the requisite "Me?" in response.
- This was also Ozeki's reaction to meeting Tohru, for some reason, to the latter's confusion.
- This is the Dread Emperor's reaction to Leorin in the final scene of Shadowchasers: Torment, right before a fight between them (with the outcome never revealed) starts.
- A Shadow of the Titans: Upon confronting Beast Boy following his hitting her with an onion, Jade is so angry she is only able to snarl out one of these.
- In The Hardships of Family this is Harry's reaction to seeing his estranged parents in the Hogwarts hospital wing.
- True Potential: Jiraiya and Roshi do this upon recognizing each other in the omake from Chapter 35, all while pointing at each other.
- The Ultimate Evil:
- Bai Tza does this when Nat confronts her the second time.
- This is in The Stronger Evil the reaction of Jade's future self to encountering Valerie in the present, right before trying to shoot her in order to prevent her from giving birth to Drago.
- In When Extended Family Is Discovered this is Harry's aunt's reaction to the reappearance of her half-sister's father.
- With this Ring... (Green Lantern): Spouted by Guy Gardner -who had turned against his former friends in this story- when Hal Jordan defeats Hector Hammond.
Guy Gardner, still fighting with John Stewart, saw Jordan standing there and guessed what had happened, or something like it. "You!" he seethed.
- A Very Kara Christmas: Kate exclaims an angry "You!" when she sees Linda after her encounter with the skunk (which only happened because she was spying on Linda, but please don't point out that to her).
At 9:50, which was ten minutes to bed-check time, the door to Linda's dorm room swung open. Kate, who was still trying to scrub her hair in the sink, looked up in anger, and said "You!" at the same instant Jennifer cried, "Linda!"
- In Aladdin, when he finally realizes Aladdin is back in the palace, Jafar addresses him with "You!", then follows up with "How many times do I have to kill you, boy?!"
- In Aladdin and the King of Thieves, Razoul does this when Aladdin helps his father escape from prison.
- In An American Tail Warren says this when he notices Fievel spying on him through his mirror.
- Bambi: When Bambi tires of Faline's pranks he gives out a "You!" and chases her.
- The Batman vs. Dracula: Penguin does one of these when Joker shows up in Gotham cemetery.
- Coco: Ernesto's surprise when seeing Miguel again after having him tossed into the cenote.
- The titular Corpse Bride gives two of these to Lord Barkis after he crashes the wedding. Well, more like a "You?" and then a "You!", but it's the same thing.
- The Good Dinosaur: Arlo says this twice to Spot when he is meeting him again until they befriend each other.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame:
- Frollo says "You!" as Esmeralda helps free Quasimodo at the end of the Festival of Fools.
- Later, one of the parishioners says "You!" after he spots Quasimodo at the end of "God Help the Outcasts".
- Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. Darkseid is able to temporarily trap Trigon, only to find himself facing Superman with his powers restored.
Darkseid: (moving in to finish off Trigon) And now to deal with... (shadow looms over Darkseid, who turns to find Superman hovering over him) You!
- Twice in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride:
Zira: Well done, Kovu. Just like we always planned.
- Once when Zira and the Outlanders appear and prepare to ambush Simba while he talks to Kovu.
Kovu: No! I didn't have anything to do with this!
- And then after the ambush, Zira snarls "You!" when blaming Kovu for Nuka's death, right before slashing him across the eye.
- In The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea Louis the chef runs across Sebastian (who caused him a lot of trouble in the first film) and screams "You!!", causing a terrified Sebastian to squeak out "you!" Hilarity Ensues.
- Alex from Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa exclaims this when he sees the old lady on the tour jeep, the same old lady who beat him up in the first movie. Hilarity Ensues for a funny smackdown.
- Monster House: Nebbercracker shouts a big "You!" at DJ when he spots him setting foot on his lawn (who was only trying to retrieve Chowder's basketball).
- The Polar Express:
Conductor: WHO IN THE BLAZES APPLIED THAT EMERGENCY BRAKE?!!Know-It-All: [points to Hero Boy] He did!Conductor: You!
- First after Hero Boy uses the emergency break to let Billy board the train:
Hero Boy: You?! I thought you got thrown off and...you're driving the train?!Hero Girl: They put me in charge!
- Again when Hero Boy sees Hero Girl in the engine:
- When Tzipporah manages to pull Moses up out of the well in The Prince of Egypt, she recognizes him and hisses an angry "You!" before letting him plummet back down into the water.
- During the final battle in Recess: School's Out, Ugly Bald Guy says this when he sees T.J. again, just before duking it out with Ms. Finster and quickly losing.
- In Toy Story, after he and Buzz are accidentally left at a petrol-station by Andy, Woody briefly rushes at Buzz with a You! Exclamation. In this case, its not a sign of recognition - rather Woody finally being pushed over the edge by all the trouble Buzz has inadvertently caused him.
- In Turning Red, Ming says this to Devon in anger when she confronts him at the Daisy Mart.
- In Wreck-It Ralph, King Candy doesn't say it, but his face reads "You!" with many exclamation marks when Vanellope passes him in the big race.
- In 1941 (1979), this happens when Wally and Stretch just happen to "run into" one another in Ward's garage:
Stretch: (ragingly pointing at Wally) YOU!
Ward: (catching Wally in the garage) You!
Sergeant Frank Tree: (also catching Wally the garage, but more calmly) You... have a serious wardrobe problem, kid.
- Biff in Back to the Future Part II, upon seeing Marty - after being punched out by George. Marty then knocks him out.
- In Beethoven, when George comes home to find the house totally trashed with the staircase banister covered in drool, culminating in the dog lying on his bed soaking wet, he shouts this. Beethoven shakes himself off, getting him wet.
- At the climax of The Bridge on the River Kwai, as a firefight breaks out between Warden's commandos and the Japanese soldiers guarding the bridge, the mortally wounded Shears struggles to the bank of the river to confront Colonel Nicholson for revealing the explosive charges on the bridge to the Japanese. However, his injuries are severe enough that the exchange consists of two words:
Nicholson: (shocked) You!?
Shears: (angry) YOU... (slumps lifelessly to the ground)
- In Caddyshack, Judge Smails does this to Danny when he catches him with his niece.
- Carry On Constable: Inspector Mills does a resigned version when the inept Constable Potter is sent to help him.
Mills: (hearing a knock at the door) Come in. (Potter enters eagerly) Oh, you.Potter: Yes sir. Sergeant Wilkins sent me sir, said you wanted a constable.Mills: So I did, and look what I've got.
- Yvette spots her former boss or former lover's wife or someone else and exclaims "It's you!" just before being murdered.
- The entire cast directs it at Wadsworth when he reveals he shot the Singing Telegram Girl and was the Big Bad in Ending C.
- In the first Conan the Barbarian (1982) movie, one of Thulsa Doom's henchmen, Rexor, exclaims that after seeing that Conan is Not Quite Dead in the big fight in the orgy chamber.
- At the climax of Friday the 13th Part III, Final Girl Chris sees Jason without her mask and says "You!" at her when she realizes that the man that attacked her two years ago is Jason.
- In Get Smart, Agent 99 does this to Max when he enters CONTROL and she recognizes him as the man she just crashed into while jogging.
- Ghost Rider (2007) uses this quite a bit.
- In The Guyver, a Zoanoid says this to the Guyver, shortly before being tossed into a destroyed containment tank and exploding.
- In The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Smaug does this upon seeing Thorin in the Hall of Kings.
- In Home Alone 4, Marv slides downstairs soaked with water right to Kevin's feet, stares for a minute while attempting to regain his vision, and, seeing Kevin, shouts, "YOU!"
- During the climactic scene of The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Malcolm predicts that this will be how the rampaging Tyrannosaurus rex will react upon seeing his child with Malcolm and Harding. He's basically right.
- Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome opens with Max having his vehicle stolen by Jedediah the Pilot, setting all the events in motion. By the time he catches up with the thief a horde of post-nuclear desert punks are on his tail, so Max has more urgent priorities than revenge.
Max: You. It's your lucky day.
Jedediah: It is?
Max: Uh-huh. You got a plane.
Jedediah: I have? (sound of plane starting up outside)
Max: It might just save your life.
Jedediah: It will?
"YOU! You can run, but you can't hide!"
- And in The Road Warrior Wez encounters Max again after their opening car chase.
- Played with in The Matrix Reloaded.
Smith: Yes, me.
- In The Mummy, there's a You! Exclamation when Rick and Evy go to the library to find out what to do about Imhotep and find Ardeth Bey there.
- In The Mummy Returns, this is Imhotep's reaction to Rick after Rick confronts him with guns blazing, just after his re-awakening. Bonus points for the all-caps and multiple exclamation points in the subtitle: "YOU!!!!!!!!!!!"
- A Nightmare on Elm Street:
- Freddy vs. Jason. When Lori interupts Jason's nightmare in which Freddy is killing him through drowning, Jason vanishes from the dream as he wakes up. Freddy turns to Lori, lets out an enraged "YOU!", and focuses his attention on her.
- In A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Freddy and Nancy come face to face for the first time since she defeated him, and all he says is an angry "you".
- Pale Rider. When killer-for-hire Stockburn is first told of unnamed preacher played by Clint Eastwood, it reminds him of someone "but that man is now dead." Earlier we saw the Preacher taking a bath, revealing multiple bullet scars. When Stockburn finally comes face to face with the Preacher, he just emits a shocked "You!" before drawing his gun, whereupon the Preacher kills him.
- At the end of RENT, Roger and Mimi have this exchange: "You!" "Me." "Mimi..." Probably an echo of that bit in-between La Vie Boheme A and I Should Tell You. "You [have HIV]?" "Me. You [too]?" "Mimi..."
- The beginning of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has Robin's father ride out of his castle to confront a gang of bad guys in masks. The leader takes his mask off, and Lord Loxley delivers the line. Later it's revealed that the leader is the Sheriff of Nottingham.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Brad does one of these when Frank seduces him.
- Snow White in Mirror, Mirror does this a lot, especially when confronted with the Queen.
- At the end of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the floating head of the creature pretending to be God chases Kirk through the mountains of the prison planet at the center of the galaxy. This was originally supposed to be a brigade of rock creatures from hell, but the production team couldn't manage it. They must have thought it would look strange for the previously loquacious creature to follow Kirk silently through the rocks, so they had its image growling "YOOOOUUUU!!" Which only manages to make the whole thing that much more shake-your-head shameful/hilarious.
- In Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, accompanied by a whopping Scare Chord, when Sweeney Todd suddenly reappears in his shop to confront the Beggar Woman for the last time.
- In What's Up, Doc?, stick-in-the-mud Howard attends a banquet, and runs into the ever-pursuant Judy pretending to be his fiancee Eunice:
Howard: You! You, you—!
Judy: —nice. Eunice, Howard. Eunice. (to guest) We've almost got that stammer cured. (to Howard) Sit down, dear.
Howard: How— How—?
Judy: HOW-ard. Howard. (to guest) He still gets stuck on names.
- In Xanadu (1980), the lead character has been painting an album cover featuring Olivia Newton-John's character. Later, when he sees her on the street, he yells out "You!" (and she answers "Me!")
- During the climax of X-Men, when Magneto traps the heroes in the Statue Of Liberty, he greets them with "Ah, my brothers!"... then casts a glare at Wolverine and snarls, "...and you."
- In The Golem's Eye from The Bartimaeus Trilogy, this is Bartimaeus's reaction upon discovering that it is once again Nathaniel that has summoned him even though it was strongly implied at the end of The Amulet of Samarkand that he would never summon him again.
"You!" "Now, hold on, Bartimaeus—" "You!" The ethereal music cut off with an unpleasant squelch; the soft aromatic fragrances turned rank and sour. The beautiful maiden's face grew crimson, her eyes bulged like a pair of poached eggs, the glass in the spectacles cracked.
- The Boys from Brazil: Liebermann gives a quiet yet furious "You..." on finally coming face-to-face with the notorious Dr. Mengele who he's hunted for years.
- Harry Potter:
- Harry exclaims this towards the end of the first book, upon seeing that the person trying to steal the Philosopher's Stone is Professor Quirrell, not at all whom he expected.
- He also does it in the last book upon meeting Andromeda Tonks, mistaking her for her sister, Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Karkaroff in the fourth book also did this when he met Alastor Moody at Hogwarts.
- In Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks, Mick Foley mentions that this was DDP's reaction immediately after finding out that he and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin had filled his bed with chocolate-chip cookies as a rib.
- Heralds of Valdemar: At the end of Foundation, Mags receives one from the mad foreign assassin. His search to discover why the unknown assassin recognizes him links in to discovering the identity of his parents, with both questions at least partially answered in the fourth book, and fully answered in the fifth.
- One of the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy books has Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect bump into each other unexpectedly after a long separation. Arthur says "You!" Ford just sighs and prepares to assume his usual role. "What do you need to have explained this time?"
- In I Want My Hat Back, the Bear shouts "YOU! YOU STOLE MY HAT!" when approaching the rabbit who stole his hat.
- In The Little Stranger and the film adaptation, Caroline shouts this out before falling to her death or being murdered by Faraday. She may have been referring to the ghost of Hundreds Hall or Faraday himself.
- In The Mouse Watch, Bernie does this when she realizes that Dr. Thornpaw is the rat who killed her brother Brody.
- A Song of Ice and Fire: Joffrey and Cersei are surprised to see Tyrion is still alive.
- The Stormlight Archive: Due to his habit of showing up unexpectedly, Wit tends to get these. In Words of Radiance (the second book), he gets three in quick succession from Kaladin (Wit met him out on the chasms and told him a story about responsibility), Adolin (a prince who has more interaction with Wit than he'd like), and Shallan, who Wit gave some simple advice to a few years ago. Wit apparently underestimated his influence on her, as when she greets him with a big hug, he is rendered speechless.
- In A Study in Scarlet, shortly after Dr. Watson moves in with Mr. Holmes, Watson spots an oft-read short idiotic article. After Watson ridicules the article's content, Holmes says that he wrote it himself. Watson's incredulous response: "You!"
- In the book Uglies, Shay screams this upon realizing that it was Tally who betrayed the Smoke, though not on purpose.
- Near the end of The Waste Lands, bad guy Gasher does it to Roland when the Gunslinger comes to rescue Jake.
Gasher looked up. "You''," he snarled.
- The Wheel of Time: Asmodean's last words after entering a room and finding someone unexpected are "You? No!" It isn't revealed that his killer is Graendal for another eight books.
- You (2015): Peach's last word to Joe after he knocks her down on the beach and eventually kills her.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Happened when The Bus Came Back in "As You Were". Buffy is working the counter at the Doublemeat Palace burger joint, when she suddenly realises the next customer is her ex-boyfriend Riley Finn.
Buffy: Doublemeat Palace, how can I help... you!
- Burn Notice: In the episode "Last Rites", when Pearce finally gets her revenge on the man who killed her fiance, he says exactly that.
- Daredevil (2015): In the first season finale, Wilson Fisk's getaway truck gets totaled, and as he stumbles out he sees Matt Murdock dressed in his new armor for the first time.
Matt Murdock: You were right, what you told me over the radio that night? Not everyone deserves a happy ending!
Wilson Fisk: [in realization] ... You!
- The Defenders (2017). Danny Rand is caught under a Dogpile Of Doom when Luke Cage suddenly appears to rescue him. As their last encounter was not friendly, Danny is rather surprised.
Danny: You?Luke: Me.
- Doctor Who
- In "The Masque of Mandragora", Hieronymous comes across the Doctor playing with a yo-yo while leaning on the altar stone of his temple.
Hieronymous: YOU!...profane the sacred stone!
- In "The Woman Who Lived", the Doctor encounters Ashildr and gives this trope. Ashildr replies, "Yes, it is me". It turns out "Me" is the name she now calls herself. Later in "Face the Raven", the Doctor repeats this when he sees her again.
- In "The Masque of Mandragora", Hieronymous comes across the Doctor playing with a yo-yo while leaning on the altar stone of his temple.
- Drake & Josh: In the episode "Josh Is Done", Drake's careless actions cause Josh to be late for class on the day of an important test. When the teacher informs him that he will have to take a makeup test on Saturday morning at 6:00 AM and will be penalized one letter grade, Josh breaks down with a series of "No"s and ends with a "You" while glaring at Drake. Unaware that this was his fault, Drake merely responds, "What?". Josh lunges at him and is restrained by his teacher and classmates and gets kicked out of the classroom.
- Family Matters: The Season 4 episode "Driving Carl Crazy" had the series' protagonist, nerdy Steve Urkel, turning to Carl to teach him to drive, but in the process unwittingly puts Carl's ability to keep his high blood pressure under control (using a waiting-room magazine article for advice rather than listen to his doctor). When Carl uses said advice – "3-2-1, 1-2-3, what the heck is bothering me?" – to try to calm himself, he explodes into a rage by uttering "YOU!!!!" and going after Urkel. (Until Carl has a minor health scare when he experiences a dizzy spell.)
Future Hiro: "You."
- Lost: Jack says this upon finding Desmond inside the hatch. As does Richard when he realizes the true identity of the impostor Locke.
- Night Court: Dan says this when he realizes Mac is behind a prank that convinced Dan he'd sold his soul to the devil.
- Leonard, the Nut said that when Pauly delivered the pizza to George st, then start attacking him with a hammer.
- Also this from another episode:
RTA Nut: You just jump the que, Oh my god it's you!
Pauly Falzoni: What?!
RTA Nut: Fuckin Killjumba!
- Power Rangers in Space/Power Rangers Lost Galaxy crossover: Psycho Red says this (with maximum venom) when he sees his old nemesis, Andros.
- Revolution: In the episode "The Song Remains the Same", Charlie says this to Tom Neville before knocking him out cold.
- Robin Hood: Allan A Dale's last word (onscreen, at least), because he recognises the commander of the army who has just shot him down.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: In the episode "The Quickening", Worf yells "You!" at Quark to complain about tampering with the Defiant's replicator.
- Top Gear (UK): Jeremy's done this a few times. Such as when James "accidentally" scraped the cab of his lorry with the trailer of his own.
- The X-Files: In the episode "Triangle", Mulder says this when it turns out the leader of the Nazis is the Cigarette Smoking Man. Of course the CSM doesn't know who Mulder is as it's All Just a Dream. Or Was It a Dream?
- Electric Six: I wanna take you to a gay bar!
- Featured in the chourus for Red Turns to Blonde by the very 80's British band Roman Holliday. "I said you! I'm talking to you! You've got to tell me what you're wanting! You! I'm talking to you! When red turns to blonde there's something going wrong! I don't know!"
- Charlie Rich: His 1978 country hit "Beautiful Woman" had him starting each refrain with "You!" Portrayed positively, however, as he's addressing a woman as his "dream come true."
- Soulja Boy: YYYOOOUUU!
- The Wall: You! Yes, YOU BEHIND THE BIKESHEDS! STAND...STILL, LADDIE!
- Part of wrestler Hulk Hogan's "hulking up" comeback involves pointing at his opponent (with the crowd going "YOU!" as he does) after shaking in rage and shrugging off his opponent's attacks.
- The Ultimate Warrior's final promo on Raw in April 2014, delivered less than 24 hours before his death, included six straight "you"s.
- George Steele: His one- and two-word littered promos often had him uttering the phrase "You!"
- Both Brad and Janet when Frank does his Bed Trick on them in The Rocky Horror Show.
- The finale of Bizet's opera Carmen begins with Carmen's shocked exclamation "C'est toi!" as she notices Don José (who replies "C'est moi").
- In the stage version of the musical Mamma Mia!, Donna is suddenly greeted by her three ex-lovers for the first time in 21 years. Upon meeting the most notorious of the three, Sam, who revealed that he was engaged to another woman and left Donna to marry her, she growls "You!" before singing the musical's title song. Depending on the actress, Donna will sometimes point her cordless drill at Sam like a gun as she exclaims.
- In Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, this is how Colonel D. McKinsey punishes an inmate during the briefing of Operation Flush (Mission 9: "Faceless Soldier"):
McKinsey: "...the only reason you're here is to atone for your crimes!"
Random Spare pilot: "...while you sit on your ass and get medals."
McKinsey: "You! Solitary, now!"
- The arcade game Battle Rangers gives us "You! Invaders! Get you the hot bullets of shotgun to die!" The "Blind Idiot" Translation heavily applies here.
- Baldur's Gate II:"You? You live yet? You have less than a fraction of your soul, and still you continue to oppose me?"
- Sirius performs a pretty epic one to Regulus, just before the final final battle in Bomberman 64.
- Bunny Must Die: Given he only speaks in Zero Wing quotes, it should surprise nobody that Baron Vladmu says this as well.
- Cuphead has you fighting Sally Stageplay for the Soul Contract. Although a bit hard to hear, she does this during the start of the second phase when she sees that Cuphead and Mugman are still on the stage.
- Deadpool: Mr. Sinister (or rather, one of his clones) identifies Deadpool this way when he reaches him strapped to some magnetic thingamajig. But Deadpool has his answer ready (after checking the script, of course):
- Fire Emblem:
- Guy in Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade greets Matthew with this, just before Matthew cashes in a favor Guy owed him from some time back to pull Guy out of a job and into your army.
- Takumi in Fire Emblem Fates often refers to the protagonist by 'you' alone (especially in the Conquest route), to the point where it's one of his voiced lines.
- Catalina in Grand Theft Auto III does this when she notices Claude survived the shooting in a late-game mission.
- Grand Theft Auto V:
Michael: The fuck is this? Y... You?! You came here to fucking clip me?! You?! Fuck!
- Tracey, Michael De Santa's daughter, does this towards her brother Jimmy for ruining her day in the mission "Daddy's Little Girl".
- In "The Time's Come", one of the three possible endings, Michael does this when he realizes that Franklin, his protégé and surrogate son, intends to assassinate him. However, this ending is non-canon.
- In chapter 1 of Grim Fandango, Manny sends a guy named Bruno on his four-year journey through the Underworld by mailing him there in a coffin. In chapter 4, you find Bruno's coffin again, and this is his reaction to seeing Manny again when he's freed.
Bruno: You?! You were the guy who packed me in there. You could have at least given me a magazine!
- One of Luigi's lines in Hotel Mario is "And YOU gotta help us!" (pointing finger included), causing YouTube Poop to exploit the "YOU" to no end.
- Kingdom Hearts:
- Happens twice in Kingdom Hearts II, the first when Pete meets Donald and Goofy again, and then with Luxord.
- In the Japanese dub of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Aqua says "kisama!" after Vanitas breaks Ventus' toy sword, which literally means "you!" but has the same connotation as "bastard!". However, the English dub renders this as "You freak!".
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Memoria Freese: During the Date A Live crossover Ais Catastrophe, Bete Louga delivers this to Kurumi Tokisaki upon their third meeting, or rather second as the first meeting alone was with an impostor that also impersonated Kaguya Yamai.
- Last Cloudia: During a side quest, Lilebette delivers this to a fake group of Blaze Soldiers who tried to rob a merchant.
- Fallen Aribeth in Neverwinter Nights doesn't have an exclamation...it's simply a low, menacing "You."
- In One Shot, after you regain access to the game following the World Machine kicking you out, it will address Niko through the in-game computer, asking why he is still there instead of being asleep, wait a few seconds, and then directly address the player with an angry "YOU." in an external dialog box.
- Deionarra uses this in Planescape: Torment when encountering The Nameless One in the Mortuary.
- In Special Episode 5 of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Dusknoir gives one of these to Grovyle upon waking up in the Bad Future.
- In Portal 2, GLaDOS has this reaction after reactivating and noticing that Chell is standing in front of her.
GLaDOS: Oh. It's you.
- In Star Fox Adventures, when Krystal turns around after releasing the spirit, we see her in a tinted enemy POV shot looking at the viewer and yelling "Ak'j oei!" ("It's you!" in the game's substitution cypher language) just before she backs into a beam which pushes her into her namesake for the rest of the game. This is roughly how a few fans reacted to her continuing to appear outside of SFA.
- Telepath Tactics features a Dramatic Deadpan version. When Emma finally sees the Big Bad in person after watching her father die, she just says "You." Tarion's response is the equally deadpan "Yes: me."
- In X-Men Legends, during Wolverine's flashback to his escape from the Weapon X facility, he catches up to the project director and is too angry to growl anything intelligible except "YOU!"
- Zero Wing: "It's you!!" "How are you gentlemen?" You should know how this one ends. What you say?
- Elements of Justice: Rarity accidentally bumps into another pony and starts to apologize, but then has this reaction when she realizes it is Suri Polomare.
- Hazbin Hotel: Upon seeing that Alastor has dragged him away from his poker game, Husker angrily growls a "You!" while pointing a finger at the Radio Demon.
- Pinkie does this in Pinkie Pie's Exciting Adventure when she encounters The Unicorn in Part 3, preceded by a big gasp.
- Lobo (Webseries): Darlene Spritzer says this to Lobo in It's Fraggin Time Again when he told her he wanted to have sex with her.
- In RWBY, we have Weiss's Right Behind Me moment in The Shining Beacon Part II as Ruby was telling her older sister, Yang, about their previous encounter.
Ruby: I tripped over some crabby girl's luggage and then she yelled at me and then I sneezed and then I exploded and then she yelled again and then I felt really, really bad and I just wanted her to stop yelling at me.
Ruby: [leaps into Yang's arms] OH GOD, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!
Weiss: You're lucky we weren't blown off the side of the cliff!
Yang: Oh my God, you really exploded...
- Cosmic Dash: A mutual example when Mara discovers Federation spymaster Ij Far has partnered her with Illyana Mordon, a space pirate whose crew has a beef with hers.
- Digger exclaims this on meeting up with the oracular slug again, who responds, "In the slime!"
- Here's a lengthy sequence of pronounless addressing in Dominic Deegan. For a more standard use, see this strip
- In Evil, Inc., it becomes apparent that Dr. Muskidae is Not Himself when he turns to Dr. Haynus and socks him while shouting, "YOU!"
- Red's reappearance in Gunnerkrigg Court is marked by her pointing at Antimony and shouting, "It's you!"
- In Homestuck, Exiles commonly talk to the kids using something along the lines of: Hey you. You there, boy/girl.
- This strip from The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob! Jean and Bob got off to a rocky start.
- The Last Days of Foxhound #244, with Big Boss (in Liquid's body) encountering the Sorrow. And lampshaded in the same panel by The Sorrow. "Is that all I get? One pronoun?"
- In Paranatural when Isaac meets Max while shopping in Max' father's corner shop before school, both he and Max shout "YOU!" at the same time. Max does it again because he's forgotten Isaac's name.
Max & Isaac: YOU!
Max: [snap] Right!
- Shortpacked!: Robin's response to seeing someone who oh geez who could that mysterious shadowy figure be!?
- Skin Horse: Unity upon encountering Dr. Lee, because Lee created her. Promptly followed by strangling.
- Subverted in Starslip. Upon being confronted with his future self, Vanderbeam exclaims "You—ME!"
- Achievement Hunter: During a round of Offense Defense in Grand Theft Auto V Online, Ryan picks up a short habit of crying out with an exasperated "You!" whenever he gets frustrated at his teammates for not pulling their weight. Everyone else in the room immediately starts ribbing him for it, making fun of how cartoonish he sounds every time he says it, to the point of becoming a Running Gag in future videos.
- In an old collaborative storytelling/roleplaying project called The Chronicles of the Inn Between Realms, there's an example of this trope defied: A minor character has been summoned by another to his dwelling. When he gets there, the door is opened by a dangerous assassin he knows instead of the person who was supposed to be there. The assassin immediately slaps him on the face and gets him to come inside quickly; he then explains that the slap was to stop him from making a You! Exclamation (or exclaiming his name) and thereby potentially alerting onlookers that there was someone inside who shouldn't be.
- In Adventure Time, when the Flame Princess regains consciousness after getting wet, she sees Finn and says this.
- In American Dad!, Stan does this to Steve a couple times when he finds out about some things he did wrong. Usually accompanied by Stan suddenly being in the room.
- In Animaniacs, when the Warners try to sell Albert Einstein cookies, he kicks them out because he's busy. When they return again, Einstein says "You!" and Yakko promptly pulls out a sheep and says "No, this is a ewe."
- Batman: The Animated Series:
- In "The Man Who Killed Batman", this is Rupert Thorne's response to the supposedly-dead Batman kicking in his door. We cut from Thorne's reaction to Batman standing in the doorway with his Leitmotif playing triumphantly.
- In "Fear of Victory", Scarecrow's response when Batman appears after witnessing his whole "get rich plan" go up in flames.
- In the Bob's Burgers episode "Mazel Tina", Tammy gets trapped away from her own Bat Mitzvah celebration. After about two hours, she is finally noticed by Tina, but she refuses to help her so that Tina can continue to steal the attention by leading all the activities in Tammy's place. As soon as Tammy is finally freed and hugged by her worried parents, she gives a "You!" exclamation to Tina from over her mother's shoulder.
- The Bugs Bunny cartoon "The Case of the Missing Hare" has Bugs squaring off against magician Ala Bahma in retaliation for a pie in the face he received earlier. As Bugs instigates a game of "Guess who?":
Ala Bahma: You!
Bugs: [breathing heavily and angrily in Bahma's face] Yes, me! Ya didn't expect ta see me again... eh, Svengali?
- In the Chaotic episode where Kaz and Peyton try to prove that he is the best chaotic player to the other one. There is a scene where Kaz goes into Ulmar's lab to scan a weapon for their battle. He bumps a cart with the door causing Ulmar to say this before throwing a fireball in Kaz's direction.
- Danny Phantom:
- Danny exclaims this in "Bitter Reunions" when he sees Vlad Masters transform into the very same ghost he fought the other night.
- In the episode "Claw of the Wild", Walker has this response after Danny feints an attack on him by phasing through his body and taking him from surprise on the other side. For bonus points, it's his final line in the series, as Danny freezes him and sends him back to the Ghost Zone immediately afterwards.
- Spoofed in the Garfield and Friends episode "Video Airlines", in a scene from Kung Fu Creatures on the Rampage 2 that Jon and Garfield keep coming across:
You! You're not Sylvia! You're one of the Kung Fu creatures on the Rampage! Two!
- Gravity Falls:
- In "Double Dipper", after melting his photocopied clones to mush, Dipper believes they're all gone. Until he hears Tyrone exclaim "YOU!" from behind.
- In "Boss Mabel", Mabel gives one of these to Grunkle Stan when she gets tired of the shabby treatment he gives his employees and his customers.
- In "The Land Before Swine", Grunkle Stan gives one to Mabel's pet pig Waddles after the latter eats the former's corn-cob sculpture of a unicorn, driving away Stan's customers.
- Bill Cipher tosses out a few in "Dreamscaperers." "YOU! YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT YOU JUST COST ME!!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'M LIKE WHEN I'M MAD!?"
- Jackie Chan Adventures: Tarakudo does this when he first meets Jade, recognizing her as the former Queen of the Shadowkhan.
- An episode of Justice League has Darkseid appear on the Watchtower, eliciting this response from Superman... followed by a punch so hard that Darkseid crashing into the wall nearly knocked the space station out of orbit.
- Done twice in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Fluttershy starts off her tirade against the cockatrice in "Stare Master" with "You! Who do you think you are, going around turning others into stone?!"
- Rainbow Dash and Little Strongheart also exclaim this at each other after Spike introduces everyone in "Over A Barrel".
- In the last part of the Five-Episode Pilot of The Pirates of Dark Water, after Ioz pins Bloth down with arrows:
Ioz: Yes, me. But enough small talk. Hand the Compass over or you're Dagron bait.
- A few times on The Ren & Stimpy Show, Ren responded to Stimpy's hijinks with an irritated "You..." More often, "You" would be followed by "EEEDIOT!" or "Sick little monkey!" Arguably the most famous and monumental instance of this in the show precedes Ren's famous Tranquil Fury speech, however, mostly because of the sheer contrast created by juxtaposing the two tropes together.
Ren: YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!! BOTH OF YOUUUUUUUU!!!! [Eerily serene] "Oh, what I'm gonna do to you... I'm so ANGRY!
- One Robot Chicken sketch ends with Count Chocula saying "You!" on seeing Blade about a second before the latter blows his head off.
- In the episode "Accomplices" of The Spectacular Spider-Man, Rhino delivers one to Spidey after he tosses a traffic cone onto his horn.
- Spider-Man: The Animated Series: the origin flashback in "Make a Wish" ends with this, as Spider-Man corners the burglar that killed Uncle Ben, unmasks him, and sees it's the same crook he let escape the wrestling arena earlier that night.
Spider-Man: No. Not you!
- SpongeBob SquarePants has a short called "Reef Blower" in which this is the sole line of dialogue, spoken by SpongeBob towards a pile of sand, and even then it's not audible; it's subtitled.
- Played for horror in the Steven Universe episode "Chille Tid". When Steven psychically contacts Jasper, all she can say is "you" with increasing desperation while she tries to crawl towards him, before she's swiftly dragged back under by Lapis.
- A rather memetic example: in Steven Universe: The Movie, Steven's immediate reaction to seeing the villain Spinel regenerate from being struck by her own rejuvenator (after using it to erase the Crystal Gems' memories):
Steven: YOOOUUUU! (throttles Spinel by her shoulders) What have you done to us!?
- A rather memetic example: in Steven Universe: The Movie, Steven's immediate reaction to seeing the villain Spinel regenerate from being struck by her own rejuvenator (after using it to erase the Crystal Gems' memories):
- Total Drama: Expressing anger by means of the second person is mostly a Heather thing.
- Leshawna accidentally shoots Heather in "Paintball Deer Hunter". Heather can't utter worse than "You!" before she attempts to shoot Leshawna right back.
- Upon discovering in "No Eggspects The Spanish Opposition" that Alejandro has taken her immunity idol, Heather voices her outrage with a triple "You!" An amused Chris decides to rub it in by revealing that only one vote cast that night wasn't for Alejandro. It was for her, which he mockingly emphasizes by saying "You!" three times.
- Transformers: Animated: In "Black Friday", this is Meltdown's stunned reaction to the Dinobots breaking him out of prison.
- Uncle Grandpa: In "Space Emperor", Uncle Grandpa gets this from Melvin, who he had mistaken for an actual space emperor and then sent to another dimension.
- Done in the Wander over Yonder episode "The Greater Hater", when Wander and Sylvia literally bump into Lord Hater and Commander Peepers while fleeing Lord Dominator's Mecha-Mooks.
Lord Hater: You?!
Peepers: [points towards approaching magma-bots] THEM!!
- We Bare Bears: In "Icy Nights", Ice Bear seeks the help of a Russian barista named Yana in tracking down the guys who stole his tricked-out Roomba. Yana's reaction to seeing Ice Bear is an affronted "You!"