Carry On Constable is the fourth film in the Carry On series that starred Kenneth Connor, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Joan Sims and Hattie Jacques, as well as Leslie Phillips, Eric Barker and Shirley Eaton. It marked the debut of (arguably) popular regular Sidney James who received mostly positive reactions for his performance in his first Carry On, even though his common roles in the later films were kind of the opposite of this.
The film is based on a flu epidemic that occurred in England in the 1950s. It wipes out four members of the police force, meaning that SGT Frank Wilkins (James) has to hire replacements.
He ends up with three incompetent new recruits — self-proclaimed intellectual PC Stanley Benson (Williams), superstitious bundle of nerves PC Charles Constable (Connor), and suave charmer PC Tom Potter (Phillips) — while the clumsy Special Constable Timothy Gorse (Hawtrey) has been transferred to the station.
Hilarity Ensues as the quartet cause more problems than they solve, although they soon shape up, while SGT Laura Moon (Jacques) plays matchmaker between Constable and WPC Gloria Passworthy (Sims).
- Adorkable: Charlie Constable.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Special Constable Timothy Gorse, as is typical for Charles Hawtrey's characters.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: PC Stanley Benson on patrol, whose trousers fall down as he walks around the neighbourhood.
- Dog Walks You: Special Constable Gorse is assigned police dog duty, but he is unable to keep the animal under control and gets dragged around by it.
- Fanservice/Fan Disservice: You might see the male police force's shower scene as either of these. Considering Kenneth Connor had many shirtless scenes in the early Carry On films, he could be seen as the former trope.
- Meaningful Name: Constable Constable.
- Police are Useless: On their way to their assignment, Constables Benson, Potter, and Constable unwittingly assist robbers trying to break into a car.
- Replacement Goldfish: Due to the flu epidemic, four officers are replaced by amateurs.
- Shirtless Scene: The shower scene with the male officers.
- Shower Scene: The film featured the first nudity in the Carry On series as Constables Gorse, Benson, Potter, and Constable race out of the stone cold showers and are seen nude from behind.
- Stealth Insult: Timothy being called a "special" constablenote .