Ahh, Soulja Boy. He tells 'em.
DeAndre Cortez Way (born July 28, 1990), aka Soulja Boy (also known as Soulja Boy Tellem, Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, and S. Beezy) is an American rapper. He released three albums between 2007 and 2010, Souljaboytellem.com, iSouljaBoyTellem, and The DeAndre Way. His fourth album, Loyalty, was released in 2015.
Soulja Boy provides examples of:
- Angrish: "Yahhh!"
- Author Appeal:
- Book Dumb: His song "Report Card" is about him changing his Fs to D-grades instead.
- "SOULJA BOY TELL 'EM!"
- Dance Sensation: "Crank That" being the biggest example, followed by the chicken-scratch mimicing "Bird Walk".
- Don't Like, Don't Read: Subverted; despite dedicating a good fraction of his lyrics to lashing out at "haters", he has stated that he actually pays attention to and considers critical reviews of his albums.
- Garbage Post Kid: Supposedly, after he fell for a phishing scam, one managed to get a hold of his Myspace account and do rather unsavory things to it.
- Informed Obscenity: A Real Life version that caused major backlash against "Crank Dat". See below. The term it was supposed to mean was something so out there that nobody would ever figure that out unless they were told.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Subverted. The song "Crank Dat" was thought to feature a verse about a sex act, due to an urban legend. According to Soulja Boy, the song has no meaning. He found the urban legend rather disturbing.
- Money Song: One of his most favorite things to rap about, aside from swag!
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Despite being lauded by many music enthusiasts as a moron, Soulja has exhibited a well-developed vocabulary, and even types with perfect spelling and grammar!
- Sampling: Of FL Studio's default samples. This makes it extremely easy for moderately talented musicians to almost completely re-create many of his songs.
- Small Name, Big Ego:
- On his now-defunct DeviantArt account, Soulja Boy announced plans to produce his own anime series... with him as the main character. And release it in October 2010 - only five months after he first wrote about it.
- He actually released it in the next month.
- It had Alfonso "Carlton" Ribiero and MTV News' Sway in it, and it actually wasn't that bad.
- In December 2018, Soulja Boy "launched" his own line of video game hardware called the SouljaGame. However, it turns out that he was selling knockoff consoles available on Amazon and Ali Express for a ridiculous markup. By the end of the month, the consoles were delisted after the threat of legal action by Nintendo for selling game consoles with pirated ROMs. Apparently, Soulja didn't learn his lesson, as just two weeks later, he released a new version of the SouljaGame, which suspiciously looks similar to Sony's PlayStation Vitanote .
- Stage Names: And God help us all, he won't let you forget it.
- Stuffy Old Songs About the Buttocks: "Donk" and its sequel, "Booty Got Swag (Donk part 2)".
- Take That!: "I don't want to be super-Lupe-Fiasco-lyrical with n*ggas not understanding what the fuck I'm talking about."
- "You!" Exclamation: In the beginning of "Crank That".