Here are some of the characters that have appeared in Murciélago.
Warning! Spoilers ahead!
A vicious serial killer who was originally on death row, Kuroko's death sentence has been pardoned in exchange for working with the police. Now, she hunts down other vicious killers and criminals...when she isn't busy chasing skirts, that is.
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Kuroko has a disquieting habit of cocking her head ninety degrees to one side, much like an owl does. The human neck just should not bend that way.
- Alliterative Name: Kuroko Koumori.
- Ax-Crazy: Before she was hired by the police, she had already racked up a kill count of 715.
- Badass Lesbian: Kuroko is only interested in girls but that doesn't stop her from being an extremely deadly fighter. Doubles as a Psycho Lesbian due to her being a serial killer.
- Boobs of Steel: Kuroko has massive breasts (I-cup), and even bigger fighting skills.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Seemingly during the Rose-Colored Prison arc, but is later revealed that she was faking in an attempt to pacify Chiyo...and to get more sex out of her.
- Buxom Is Better: She certainly prefers her ladies to be busty.
- Chef of Iron: She's a surprisingly good cook, able to fix Hinako's fiasco of a dish and regularly coming up with impressive dishes.
- The Corrupter: To an extent. In the "School Destruction" arc, she nudged one student (who was the culprit until things got out of her hand) to execute the true culprit and to sexually assault her rapist. Later on, said student has set up a bomb-making shop and keeps her rapist in a slave-like relationship.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Constantly during the Rose-Colored Prison arc.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Kuroko can be more than a little creepy-looking most of the time, bordering on looking like Cesare.
- Faux Affably Evil: To call her a 'good' person would be quite a stretch, and she often acts nice while brutally murdering someone.
- Genius Bruiser: We first know her as a serial killer with hundreds of kills under her belt. Later on we get to see she has immense deductive skills and has been shown to manipulate her enemies to fight among themselves.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: She is technically on the side of good, but she's incredibly Ax-Crazy and doesn't care about the collateral damage that her antics rack up. That being said, those antics tend to be Played for Laughs more often than not.
- Lady in a Power Suit: When Kuroko is working with the police, she's almost always in a sharply-tailored suit, while her jeans-and-crop-top outfit is strictly casual.
- Lean and Mean: She's tall with thin limbs, and utterly merciless in combat. Except for her boobs.
- Nerves of Steel: To ridiculous extremes. During a life-or-death battle with a skilled Knife Nut her heart rate didn't even increase.
- '90s Anti-Hero: Kuroko almost comes off as a parody of these types of characters, personality-wise.
- Nominal Hero: Kuroko may work with the police and take down horrible killers, and act as a mother figure/big sis combo to Hinako, but make no mistake about it, she's just as much of a psychotic murderer as she's always been, she just has it more under control.
- Not So Stoic: Kuroko occasionally has moments when her unflappable demeanor comes apart. For instance, during the "school bombing" arc, she had a hilarious Oh, Crap! moment when Hinako threw one of the armed bombs towards her.
- Overly Long Tongue: Kuroko's tongue is inhumanly long and flexible...which her girlfriends seem to enjoy. The snake-like imagery goes even further after Kuroko doesn't dodge a sword enough and gets the tip of her tongue split.
- The Profiler: Kuroko's past as a Serial Killer grants her deep insight on the motives and modus operandi of the various killers and criminals in the story.
- Psycho Lesbian: One of the few instances where the two are probably not interlinked.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Kuroko, combined with being very tall and curvy.
- Rapunzel Hair: Kuroko's reaches past her knees, which considering her height means her hair is longer than some women are tall.
- Really Gets Around: Kuroko has a laundry-list of sex-friends to call on as is, and is always looking to add more.
- Scars Are Forever: She retains the Tongue Trauma she received all the way back in the "Murder Party" arc, and has a scar on her belly whose origin as of ch. 62 has yet to be revealed.
- Serial Killer: She killed over seven hundred people before she was caught.
- Serial-Killer Killer: Kuroko would be on death row, but she's allowed to act on the police's orders to kill other psychopaths.
- Slasher Smile: Kuroko frequently has a large, unsettling grin when she's feeling her most murderous.
- The Sociopath: She feels no remorse for her past murders, and only took the assassin job to avoid death row and quench her bloodlust.
- Spider-Sense: Kuroko can anticipate death traps and attacks with seemingly perfect accuracy. She even goes so far to claim it's precognition.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Rather than showing fear or anger, this is just how Kuroko's eyes are, which sharply contrasts all the other characters and highlights her psychopathic nature.
- Would Hit a Girl: While Kuroko would probably prefer to bed pretty ladies, she's not averse to brutalizing or even killing them. Her fight against Yukari and her treatment of Minako's bullies in the "School Destruction" arc are good examples of this.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Over the course of a single car chase we see her extract from her cleavage a wrestling bell, a mallet to strike it with, a "business" card (which she leaves in the cleavage of a bystander) and a fresh cut flower. She continues to do this in later chapters.
A high school student who lives with Kuroko and frequently partners up with her on jobs. She has a very bubbly and air-headed personality and often acts like a child half her age or less, though she is also a very capable driver and is adept at handling a variety of vehicles. She also appears to have serious psychological issues at times, including what appears to be a hidden dark side that emerges when she's hurt.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Oh god, if you hurt Hinako you've got about thirty seconds to run away (not that that will help) or finish the job. If you don't, her other side will appear and you will die...horribly, with whatever vehicle she—no—it finds.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: After Hinako is attacked by Rinko, her eyes become like this. They stay like that until Hinako manages to ram her assailant with a motorbike, after which she switches back to normal. All in all, there is something seriously wrong with this girl.
- Drives Like Crazy: Hinako can somehow go Roof Hopping in her convertible.
- Hair Antennae: Hinako has a large upright curl that somehow seems to help her home in on Kuroko's location when they're separated, based on the first chapter.
- Kick the Dog: Overly cheerful, yet she enjoys beating the hell out of the mascot Shogo-tans at the local amusement park, which are either real creatures or just people in costumes. Either way she keeps at it even after getting admonished for it.
- Manchild: Female version. Hinako is a high school student, but acts more like a preschooler. Even when people are dying around her she seems to remain blissfully ignorant to everything.
- Photographic Memory: By going to a tall point, she's able to memorize the layout of the surrounding area, basically giving her a built-in GPS.
- Plucky Girl: Hinako is pretty much unstoppable when she puts her mind to it.
- Seers: Appears to have some precognition, as she draws events of the Murder Party despite not being there.
- Split Personality: Seems to have one that activates when she is hurt.
A key character from the "D-K Domestic Killer" Arc, Rinko is the daughter of the former Serial Killer Takeru Asagi. While she seems like an ordinary quiet girl, there is quite a bit more to her than meets the eye: She's the true culprit behind the recent Skin Collector murders and a very dangerous fighter despite her tiny size.
- Driven to Suicide: After the events of the "D-K Domestic Killer" Arc, Rinko tries to kill herself since her entire family is dead and she sees herself as an irredeemable murderer. Kuroko talks her out of it and takes her in as "family."
- Enfante Terrible: A very adorable one.
- It Was a Gift: Apparently Asagi left behind a gift for Rinko before Kuroko took him down. It was one of his high-frequency blades, giving Rinko the edge she needs to cut down the Razor Floss wielded by her opponent.
- Killer Rabbit: Not only is she a dangerous killer, she wears a rabbit mask when she goes to kill someone.
- Knife Nut: Very skilled with using blades, something she inherited from her father and something she put to very deadly use when attacking the recent Skin Collector victims, as well as the Rainy Day Killer. And then she gets a gift left by her father...
- Little Miss Badass: Very athletic despite her small size and seemingly frail appearance. Best seen when she attacks the Rainy Day Killer and lops off several of his limbs, as well as impaling him with several knives.
- Self-Made Orphan: She killed her own mother as her first victim in following her dad's footsteps. Her dad comforted her over this and was proud of it, but in the end, he also took the blame over the murder to protect her.
- Walking Spoiler: Rinko is a very important character in the "D-K Domestic Killer" Arc, and many of that arc's revelations are tied to her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She is drawn with light blue hair in colored illustrations.
Daughter of the city's Yakuza boss, the closest thing to a lover as Kuroko has, and one of the only people to have any sort of leash on her. When she shows up she's usually either angry that Kuroko hasn't contacted her or locked in the throes of passion with her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She doesn't appreciate it one bit when Kuroko makes passes at other girls around her, though that doesn't stop Kuroko from inevitably having sex with most of them.
- Ambiguously Lesbian: During the "Rose-Colored Prison" Arc, she says that she's not a lesbian, simply that Kuroko's "special". Her opponent doesn't buy it at all.
- Mafia Princess: Chiyo is the daughter of one of the city's major Yakuza bosses, who Kuroko sometimes taps for intel.
- Ojou Ringlets: Has an impressive display of these in her hair.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: When being clingy doesn't cut it, Chiyo will get violent for and to Kuroko.
A taciturn sniper who first appeared during the "Murder Party" arc. She makes some recurring appearances afterwards.
- Badass Lesbian: She has a very gorgeous girlfriend named Toki (we discover her during the bonus chapter 55.05).
- Berserk Button: Don't mistake her for a man.
- Bifauxnen: She looks pretty boyish and handsome. Kuroko even remarks that her, ahem, silhouette is rather flat.
- Breakout Character: Rather than being pushed into the spotlight here she's given her own series, Murciélago Araña.
- Cold Sniper: Generally very cold and emotionless. She rarely even changes expression.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Her suit has crosses etched on the sleeves.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her eyes resemble practice targets, comprised of four concentric rings.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She's demonstrated several times to be a first-rate sniper, being able to shoot far away targets without even looking or taking the time to assume a proper sniping posture. More recently, she's able to shoot out the scope of another sniper hidden far away on a building as soon as she senses a bullet approaching her employer. And it's only the start of the battle.
- Limited Wardrobe: Kuroko remarks that she hasn't changed outfits ever since the Murder Party. She retorts that as long as she's not naked, she doesn't care for clothes.
- Professional Killer
- The Stoic: She shows almost no emotion and her expression almost never varies from a listless, bored-looking grump-face.
- When She Smiles: It's pretty rare, but she did crack a big smile at the end of the D.K. arc.
An extremely muscular friend of Kuroko. She's the champion of an underground fight ring, and otherwise works as a club bartender during the day.
- Amazonian Beauty: She's a huge lady with massive top (both ways), muscles and scars all over her arms. Despite this she's very attractive, to the point where Kuroko offers her to settle their fighting feud by having sex.
- Blood Knight: When Kuroko asks her for a favor, she asks for a rematch as a payment. She's very eager to fight, despite having lost against Kuroko before.
- Boobs of Steel: Physically extremely strong, and she has a pretty noticeable rack.
- Butch Lesbian: She's pretty boyish and muscular, and is another of Kuroko's girlfriends.
- Covered in Scars: Her arms and hands almost have more scar tissue than actual skin.
- Dumb Muscle: She's not too bright.
- Honor Before Reason: She doesn't want to help Kuroko simply because it would make it an 'unfair' two-on-one.
- Made of Iron: Tanked a Razor Floss attack which could cleave concrete pillars with her bare arms, and although it hurt her greatly, she walked off with nothing more than a scratch.
- Aikido: A practitioner of aikido, allowing her to overpower more physically-capable opponents.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses one of each during her fight with Kuroko.
- Boobsof Steel: As is the case with most badass females in the series, she's well-endowed.
- Dance Battler: Engages in this in order to activate certain traps.
- Feels No Pain: Which seems to be an acquired skill, and not something she was born with naturally.
- I Owe You My Life: Says so to Miyuki, stating she would never harm the woman that stopped Kuroko from killing her.
- Mortality Phobia: Despite her inability to feel pain, she states she has no desire to die.
- Ninja Maid
- Purple Eyes
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses his left hand to Yukari, and then his entire right arm to one of the mansion's traps.
- Arrow Catch: With both hands and his mouth simultaneously.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Right after the above Arrow Catch.
- Delinquent Hair: A mohawk
- Invulnerable Knuckles: Able to punch through big heavy doors and several of the traps.
- Badass Bookworm: Able to calculate the angle needed to deflect lasers back at themselves with shards of reflective glass, on the fly.
- Hidden Depths: The reason he was selected to come to the Murder Party isn't explicitly stated, but given his collection of knives, there's clearly something more to him.
- Knife Nut
- Hidden Depths: There's definitely something up with Miyuki, but it's not made clear what she's done, precisely.
Metropolitan Police Department
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Same as Tougo
- Badass Beard: With his red hair and the way it blends into his hairline, it gives him the look of a lion mane.
- Vomiting Cop: His first scene.
The villain of the pilot chapter, the unnamed patient of the local psych ward escaped, and went on a killing spree. Kuroko took him down in a single chapter by proving she was the better killer.
The villain of "The Cost of Strength" chapters. A former wrestler, he turned to doping, thinking that if he was stronger, his fans would watch him again. Unfortunately, the drug he used made him more beast than man...
- Face: He originally played this role in pro wrestling. Even in his doped-up state, he hallucinates that his victims are actually wrestlers playing the Heel role.
- Feels No Pain: The drug Cesare has a side effect where users lose all sense of pain. This is best seen when he attempts to stop a speeding car and doesn't react to his bones literally being shoved out of his skin.
- Friend to All Children: Before his drug problem.
- Immune to Bullets: In his drugged-up state, bullets simply bounce off his skin, as several unfortunate police officers discovered.
- No Name Given: His name isn't revealed until an end-of-volume page. In Kuroko's own words:Kuroko: Our target is a former wrestler and druggy. His name doesn't matter.
- Super Strength: What Cesare has granted him. He is even capable of literally tearing people in half.
- Tragic Monster: When sane, he wasn't a bad guy, and an extra page even shows that he was a Friend to All Children. Unfortunately, doping has reduced him to little more than a savage monster.
The Arc Villain of the "Murder Party" Arc, Satori is an old man who has built a gigantic manor and invited several people, who he deemed criminals, there to party. However, he has rigged the manor with all manners of death traps, intending to kill each and every one of his guests.
- Black Eyes of Evil: His eyes are pitch-black in color, giving him a rather unnerving look.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: His love for his family was genuine, and their deaths turned him into the man he is today.
- Evil Old Folks: This man looks more like a mummy than a human being.
- Knight Templar: He is determined to make sure criminals pay for their crimes, and his method of doing so is having them butchered.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: His daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter were killed by criminals. As a result, he decided that he would kill every criminal he could get his hands on.
One of the antagonists of the "D-K Domestic Killer" Arc, Takeru used to be a Serial Killer known as the 'Skin Collector.' Supposedly reformed and now the head of the Asagi Electric company, he has become a person of interest once bodies with their faces peeled off begin turning up again.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite being a dangerous killer, his love for his family was genuine, if a bit twisted. He even took the blame for his wife's death in order to protect the true culprit: his daughter.
- Face Stealer: His M.O. was taking the faces of his victims. Rinko has taken this up as well.
- Knife Nut: His weapon of choice, perfect for taking the faces of his victims.
- Reformed Criminal: A former Serial Killer who is now the owner of a company. He's still a vicious fighter and his murderous impulses are still there.
- Serial Killer: He used to kill women and take their faces. The discovery of bodies of men and children without faces is a clue that he is not responsible for the recent murders.
- So Proud of You: A twisted version. He's proud that his little Rinko has learned to kill, just like her dad, even when her first victim was his own wife/her own mother. Kuroko noted how it's the ultimate narcissism, to see one's offspring have become like themselves.
The main antagonist of the "Rose-Colored Prison" Arc, Gold Marie is a member of the Virginal Rose cult. A serene-looking woman, her gentle smile hides some rather dark secrets.
- Dissonant Serenity: She rarely loses her temper or raises her voice. This only serves to make her all the more uncanny once the darker aspects of Virginal Rose start to emerge.
- Does Not Like Men: A particularly horrifying example. She was raped when she was younger, and the rape caused her to see men as filthy creatures. This dislike also caused her to mutilate and alter her own younger brother to be more woman-like.
- Gag Boobs: Has an impressive bust, making it easy for her to seduce Kuroko.
- Rape as Backstory: She was raped by three men when she was younger. They paid for it with their lives.
The main antagonist of the "Gap Between the Sky and I" Arc, the Rainy Day Killer is a hulking man who abducts little girls on rainy days and strangles them to death. He seems to be searching for someone...
- Beard of Evil: One of his most distinguishing features is a long beard.
- Berserk Button: If there's one thing he hates more than anything, it's being lied to. It's heavily implied that he had been betrayed by people he trusted, which led to him feeling down and that one little girl giving him candy on that rainy day.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Kuroko finally brings him down by impaling him with a steel girder.
- Implacable Man: Even after Rinko cuts both his arms off, stabs him with several knives, and lops one of his feet off, he's still able to move. It takes Kuroko slamming a steel girder through his body before he finally goes down for the count.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: He wears a pair of glasses that hide his eyes to make him more intimidating.
- Serial Killer: He killed 47 little girls in his attempt to reunite with the little girl who showed him kindness many years ago.
- Would Hurt a Child: His victims are all little girls. This is because he's searching for a little girl who gave him kind words and a piece of candy many years ago.
The woman behind almost every single major crime that Kuroko investigates in the series. She is the granddaughter of Hyoue Satori and currently works as the director of Ruruie Medical Prison.
- Evil Cripple: Though blind and missing both of her arms, she is nevertheless a very dangerous individual and indirectly responsible for most of the horrific crimes in the series.
- Eyes Always Shut: Her eyes are always closed to show that she's blind.
- Never Found the Body: Her body was never found at the site of her parents' murder. The police still assumed she was dead because they found three people's worth of blood at the scene of the crime, and they didn't think a blind and armless ten-year old girl could've survived such an attack.
- Sole Survivor: Hakua is the only survivor of the incident that resulted in the murder of her parents.