She/her or they/them, bisexual autistic genderpunk girlnote in her early 20's. Aspiring television writer, current time waster.
Context on my username: Mewtron is a Fakémon I designed when I was 12 and was so proud of it that I made it my username on every social media account at the time. It's really dumb, but I find it really charming in retrospect.
I've been active on the wiki since I was 12 but have only been heavily involved in wiki maintenance since the spring of 2020 - extra free time, you know. I'm always learning the wiki rules, and it's a bit of a buzzkill but it's also extremely cathartic and empowering to learn that the stuff that bugged me when I was a kid is actually not allowed anymore and that I can help fix it!
A rundown of some characters I relate to the most, since that explains why I choose certain icons:
Current sandbox projects, feel free to contribute:
- The Nostalgia Critic Main Page Cleanup
- The Nostalgia Critic Tear Jerker Cleanup
- The Nostalgia Critic Nightmare Fuel Cleanup
- Nostalgia Critic Fanservice And Fan Disservice Cleanup
- Nostalgia Critic Character Cleanup
- I'm a television and radio major and I want to write for television shows someday. I'd love to write for a cartoon, but I don't think I have the patience for animation.
- I do the fanficky thing. My work got a boost over on FanficRecs.Channel Awesome.
- Some of my Author Appeals:
- Ever since I was young, I've had an affinity for making two kinds of female characters: the Loony Fan Geek who's often a Stalker with a Crush, and rebellious goth or punk girls. The latter has phased out because I've realized I'm clueless at writing goth or punk subcultures, but I've become even more attached to the Loony Fan archetype and I really enjoy deconstructing it, as well as the issues with modern fandom and idol worship as a whole.
- I really enjoy stories about parenting and pregnancy. It has the potential to be funny and tender.
- Accurately-written mental disorders. Often I write my own experience with disorders like autism and depression into works, but I also like to try and incorporate representation for often-misrepresented disorders as well, though I usually don't act like I know everything about them. For example, I really like to see Dissociative Identity Disorder written realistically instead of just as a cheap horror trope.
- A lot of my original characters are streamers, gamers, and Youtubers. That's just because I wrote them while I was really into watching streamers, gamers, and Youtubers.
- My Berserk Button: Calling media "problematic" and "unproblematic." All media has problems and putting them into a binary of "good" and "bad" is detrimental to criticism, especially if you compare something like Steven Universe to South Park.
- I've never played any console that isn't a Nintendo product or a PC. I just don't get into the games on other consoles. I'm currently absolutely obsessed with my Nintendo Switch. I bought it with my own money after one of my first jobs and it's just so beautiful and good for the senses.
- My content has gotten into several Jacksfilms videos including YIAY. I save these videos (and others that involve me or my work) here.
- I've become obsessed with the Trope Epitaph. As soon as a trope or renamed is cut under TRS, I start brainstorming epitaphs before we even perform the move.
- Similarly, I love captioning images! It's just fun to come up with short witty sayings on this website.
- I have four cats and a dog. I love my dog but I'm a huge cat person, because you really have to earn the love of a cat, so the connection feels more genuine.
- I have a massive potty mouth, probably cuz it makes me feel more badass and threatening when I'm really not.
- I write the "New Work Page Spotlight" section on the revived Trope Report.
- I say "I believe..." and "I think..." constantly on my posts because I'm insecure as shit.
- Though I try to stay as objective as possible on the wiki, I will assure you that I'm quite left wing, somewhere between a progressive and a democratic socialist.
- I'm kind of a commercial/bumper nerd, and I like to watch old commercials from when I was a kid, and even commercials that I never saw before.
- I really like musical theater, and prior to the pandemic, I would frequent Broadway.
Bolded = I try to Entry Pimp this a lot, or just edit the page whenever I can.
- Compare the Meerkat: I'm not even British. I learned about this campaign through this site, and while I think it's devilishly manipulative from a marketing perspective (cute mascots, "free" toy bribes, pop culture references, etc), it is a cute concept and those meerkats are so gay, dude.
- GEICO: That gecko literally haunted my dreams as a child.
Anime & Manga
- No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!: More the anime, but I'm currently working my way through the manga.
Film — Live Action
Film — Animated
Live Action TV
- The Golden Girls
- The Good Place
- Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide
- I'm going through a phase of editing a lot on Press Your Luck and Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck but it's literally just because I like the whammies. The actual game show itself is kind of dumb.
- Bowling for Soup: I'm trying to listen to more of their music. It's really catchy and I love the high-school-boy lyrics.
- Taylor Swift: Only her old stuff, though I wanna try listening to her more recent stuff sometime too. I just... can't fuck with modern music fans. They scare me.
- Drew Gooden
- Game Grumps: Only the post-Jon years, though. I really like the stream-of-consciousness comedy. It's so stupid but makes me laugh and it's difficult to find anything like it.
- Jenny Nicholson
- Musical Hell
- The Nostalgia Critic: I'm in a funny situation in that I didn't watch the show when it was super popular on the site, but I got really into it around the time the site started to consider the show Snark Bait. While I absolutely get why people dislike the show (I sure as hell have some issues with it), I have a lot of fun talking about it and the characters and the current cast. I'm running a cleanup thread on the show to get rid of the gushing/complaining/creepy shit.note
- Big Mouth: And yes, I'm sorry.''
- BoJack Horseman
- Dexter's Laboratory
- Phineas and Ferb
- Futurama: Funniest cartoon ever, IMO. Super heartfelt as well. It has its dated moments but it's just a very clever piece of sci-fi comedy.
- The Powerpuff Girls
- South Park: I'm really passionate about this show. I think it's a perfect snapshot of modern American culture...which isn't always a good thing. I think its impact on millennial culture is fascinating, and I love to criticize it even more than I love to celebrate it. The characters are also really damn well done as well, for the most part. Too bad that often gets brushed aside for either memes, shipping, or just straight up racism. Either way, this is the show I'm Entry Pimping the most right now, cuz I have a lot of content to work with.
- Steven Universe
- Total Drama Do Over
- Tamara's Never Seen
- Total Trauma
- Respect the Pouch
- Bad Kitty
- PlayingWith.Game Show Goofballs''
- Trans Girl Next Door
- make up a guy
- Billy on the Street
- Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
- Chop Chop Fruit salad Mystery Jam DokiDoki Dating Sim THingy
- Knuffle Bunny
- Dances Moving!
- And some other fanfic pages that I refuse to link because I made them before even writing most of the fanfics, because I was 12 years old and stupid.
I drafted these tropes:
- Garbage Hideout (though I can't take credit for much of it as it was adopted and launched long after I abandoned it)
- Swear Word Plot
- Infection Scene (+ Playing With page)
- Obsessed with Perfect Attendance
- New Year's Kiss
- Flash Forward Fic
- Pop Culture Holiday
- Alternate Self Shipping
- Chickenpox Episode
I adopted and launched these tropes:
- Obnoxious Entitled Housewife (+ Playing With page)
I drafted these indexes:
I named these tropes:
- "Better if Not Born" Plot
- Constantly Changing Name (partly)
- Racial Face Blindness (pitched name during TRS expansion)
I'm running these TLP draftsnote :
Trope Epitaphs I wrote:Alphabetized without regards for section and with the notes removed, so you'll be encouraged to find them in full on the page itself. It's a fun page!
- Here lies All Adult Animation Is South Park — We expected Kenny to die, but this death was much more of a shock.
- Here lies All Men Are Rapists — Executed after their perverted behavior went too far.
- Here lie Brainy Specs — Smart People Wear Glasses, but since their glasses were purely aesthetic, they walked right into a pothole.
- Here lies Breast Sponge Dried up.
- Here lies Bugs Bunny — Met with some tricky karma during rabbit season.
- Here lies Featurization Was hacked into pieces by a Film Serial Killer.
- Here lies Fox Cancels Everything The network didn't appreciate the potshot and quickly pulled the plug.
- Here lie Hollywood Personality Disorders Hollywood Psych only made its symptoms worse.
- Here lies Legal Jailbait Executed for pedophilia, regardless of the victim's actual age.
- Here lies Next Gen Fic — If we flash forward a few years, nobody will remember it except its children.
- Here lies O-Ring Orifice — Stretched itself too thin.
- Here lies Poem Fic — A fan could be a poet, but none of us would know it.
- Here lies Small Annoying Creature — It got kicked to the side so it'd leave us alone.
- Here lies Take That, Us! — We wasted so much time choosing page names instead of living our lives, and yet this one had to be deprecated.
- Here lies Transsexual — During its gender transition, it chose a new name.
- Here lies Tyrannosaurus rex — Wiped out by a meteor.
- Here lies You Would Make a Great Model — Fell for a Model Scam that ended gruesomely.
- Here lies Your Cheating Heart — Killed by several jealous mistresses.
I picked the image for these tropes (either in TLP or IP / suggestion thread):(This is actually incomplete but I don't always include ones I yank impassionately from the examples list)
- Cat Fight (+ caption)
- Bad with the Bone
- Popular with Furries
- Quacking Up
- Singing Telegram
- Wacky Startup Workplacenote
- Late Pregnancy Realization (+ caption)
- Heartwarming.Real Life
- Game Show Goofballs
- Heartwarming.Pokemon X And Y
- Trapped with the Therapy Session
- Crying Critters
- Heartwarming.Rhythm Heaven
- Alter-Ego Acting (+ caption)
- Innocent Swearing
- Heartwarming.No Matter How I Look At It Its You Guys Fault Im Not Popular
- Toilet Training Plot (+ caption)
- Happy Fun Ball
- HoYay.My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic
- Harpo Does Something Funny (+ caption) (my absolute favorite idea)
- Moment Killer
- Happiness In Minimum Wage
- CarnivoreConfusion.Western Animation (+ caption)
- ReferencedBy.The Golden Girls (+ caption)
- WebVideo.Unraveled (+ caption)
- NPC Roadblock (+ caption)
- Unholy Matrimony (+ caption)
- LogoJoke.Dream Works (+ caption)
- Early Personality Signs (+ caption)
- Perky Female Minion
- Production Throwback
- AccidentalInnuendo.Advertising (+ caption)
- Green and Mean
- Adaptational Diversity
- Oblivious to Hatred (+ caption)
- TearJerker.Bo Jack Horseman
- Heartwarming.Bo Jack Horseman
- Artifact Name (+ caption)
- Amnesia Episode
- "Where? Where?"
- Network Finale
- Media Watchdog (+ caption)
- Inventing the Wheel (+ caption)
- ReferencedBy.The Flintstones
- Kosher Nostra
- One-Line Anxiety
- Ridiculously Long Phone Number
- Held Back in School
- Pride Parade
I only provided the caption for these images:
- ASDF Movie: Oblivious Adoption
- The Amanda Show: Game Show Goofballs
- Animaniacs (2020): Animation Lead Time
- Big Mouth: Only in Florida
- Clone High: Hollywood New England
- Coco: Cacophony Cover Up
- The Colbert Report: One-Word Vocabulary
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Slippery Slope Fallacy, Leaning on the Fourth Wall, Couch Gag
- Epic Rap Battles of History: Wildlife Commentary Spoof
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee: Dude, Not Funny!
- Futurama: Flipping Helpless, I Need to Go Iron My Dog
- Game Grumps: Accidental Innuendo, Ho Yay, Added Alliterative Appeal, What's a Henway?
- The Golden Girls: Joke and Receive, Trojan Gauntlet
- Jacksfilms: Racist Grandma, Sequelitis
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Accidental Innuendo
- The Lonely Island: Cutting Back to Reality
- The Nostalgia Critic: Narm Charm, Phallic Weapon, Accidental Innuendo, Morality Pet
- Press Your Luck: Whammy, Company Cross References
- RENT: Bowdlerise
- Rhythm Heaven: Fake-Out Fade-Out
- Rick and Morty: Infection Scene
- Rocko's Modern Life: Fantastic Racism
- Rugrats in Paris: Alone Among Families
- Ryan George: Acting for Two, Literal Genie
- Saturday Night Live: Game Show Goofballs (the "What's wrong with this picture" one), Church of Happyology, Commercial Switcheroo
- Scott The Woz: Game Show Goofballs
- Screen Rant Pitch Meetings: Don't Explain the Joke, Acting for Two
- South Park: Allegedly Free Game, Blessed with Suck, Children Voicing Children, Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male, Throw It In!
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut: The Song Before the Storm
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole: Continue Your Mission, Dammit!
- South Park: Phone Destroyer: Allegedly Free Game
- Star Tours: "No Talking or Phones" Warning
- Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck: Covered in Gunge, Pull a Rabbit out of My Hat, Notzilla, Whammy, Miserable Massage, Cluster Bleep-Bomb
Personal opinions about wiki culture:
- Useful Notes pages should include lists of the concept in media whenever possible, because Useful Notes pages are meant to help readers understand the portrayal of the subject in media.
- Indexes should help with searchability and categorization. If it's unlikely someone would look up a niche subject, it doesn't need an index.
- I love funny page images and captions, even if it's more of a spice than a necessity for the page, but I prefer to run all new suggestions through the suggestion thread first.
- Fountain of Expies tropes are overdone and we should focus more on exploring character archetypes that these "fountains" codified as opposed to claiming subsequent similar characters as "copies" of the fountains.
- Using TLP to draft non-trope pages is perfectly fine if you don't try to launch it from there or anything like that.
- Spending too much time in TLP is way better than a rush.
- Obviously I understand why the rule exists and follow the rules set in place, but I personally think No New Stock Phrases is a bit too harsh, and can lead to clunky trope titles just because you can't use the word "don't," even outside of the context of dialogue tropes. But stock phrases themselves aren't really tropable unless there's actual ways to play with them besides just saying the phrase.
- Snarkiness is funny but only in small doses. Trying to out-funny other tropers outside of dedicated Funny Sections TM just leads to derailing efforts.
I just think these tropes are neat:
- Commercial Switcheroo: I really love advertising, so advertising that parodies other advertisements always come across as extremely clever to me.
- Loony Fan
- Megane and Meganekko: I just think people with glasses are supes cute.
- Mad Love
- Whole Episode Flashback
- Distant Finale
- Monster Fangirl
- Namesake Gag
- Next-Gen Fic
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Deconstruction Fic
- Former Child Star
- Sick Episode
- Unholy Matrimony: I really love hammy villains, and I think there's something really funny about characters who hate and want to destroy everybody finding somebody that brings out the best in them.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Breaking the Fourth Wall is hilarious, but subverting it is even more clever in my opinion.
- Endearingly Dorky
- Easily Forgiven: Even some of my favorite shows fall into this and it always makes my eyes roll. I think it's stupid to act like a character undergoing a HeelFace Turn is inherently a bad message, because I firmly believe everybody has the capacity to be a better person. However, my issue lies with works that redeem a villain in less than a minute and then everybody, even those who have been absolutely traumatized by their actions, just forgives them without any hesitation. It feels so shallow and it's much more rewarding to explore the complicated journey of redemption.
- Hollywood Autism: I'm autistic. I'm very passionate about proper autism representation in media. It gets very frustrating to see the same young white guys who are either brilliant savants who happen to be just socially awkward enough to be funny or endearing, or totally inept burdens to their families where all the attention is on their family's plight and not their own feelings because as far as the work is concerned, they don't really have feelings, do they?
- No Bisexuals: Similar to the above, I'm bisexual and I'm really sick of being excluded both within the community and outside of it.
- Perpetually Shiny Bodies: I associate this with very ugly Rule 34. Personally, I think it makes the work look less attractive and more phony.
- Subverted Innocence: Yeah it's an index, but it sufficiently describes something that upsets me a lot of the time - people manipulating you into feeling shitty by preying on something pure and innocent, like puppies or kitties or rainbows or any sort of childish fun, and turning in gross and evil or just stomping all over it. Sometimes it works - and I've even used some of these tropes myself in my work ideas - but sometimes it just feels bleh.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Not a trope, but describes my feelings about certain media. I hate substanceless cutesy shit. Maybe it's because I'm extremely cynical, but something about it seems so...manipulative. If I see, like, a cute puppy video, it makes me sick because of the paranoia that something bad is secretly happening to that puppy. If all you have to go off of is cuteness, I'm going to avoid it.