A list of characters from the Manga and Anime series Dream Eater Merry.
ProtagonistsThe main characters of the series.
A fairly average guy, except that he has the power to see into people's dreams. His encounter with the mysterious Merry Nightmare changes that, and he vows to be her companion and to help her find her way back to the world of dreams. It's hinted that he and Merry have met somewhere before, and because of his abilities and potential, Chaser John Doe speculates that he may be Not Quite Human.
- Achey Scars/I'm Having Soul Pains: Often his right-hand hurts when he leaves a Dream Demon's Daydream. It also hurts when Kyou uses his powers.
- Ambiguously Human: It's implied that he might be something other than human.
- Aura Vision: He can see what dreams people experience with his right hand by looking at the color surrounding them.
- Chick Magnet: To start, he has the obvious affection of Isana, there is a lot of Ship Tease between him and Merry, and there are some mild hints that Yui might like him as well.
- Ditto Fighter: "Lucid Install" allows Yumeji to actually become the Dream Demon's themselves, instead of merely transferring their power into him. His causes his body and appearance to physically transform into the dream demon, not only allowing him to use any of their powers but even grants him the same strength, status and skills that they have.
- Fusion Dance: "Ultra Lucid Gadget" lets him take a Dream Demon into himself and fully access their power and change his appearance to look like the Dream Demon.
- "Chaser": In addition to John Doe's saw-guillotine, he also gains the belt and cape. He also gets John's mask with ears on the side of his head and his shirt gains a stripe on his right side. Yumeji gains the power of Super Speed.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Hinted to be this but is really a case of Touched by Vorlons.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Seeing into people's dreams is actually incredibly useful.
- Heroic BSoD: He gets hit with this after he finds out that Hercules' vessel is his best friend right as Hercules takes over Takateru's mind and body completely. And the only reason Hercules had enough time to do that was because Yumeji promised Takateru that he wouldn't use his 'dream vision' since it made Takateru uncomfortable.
- I Owe You My Life: His original reason for staying with Merry.
- Invocation: Uses the titles of Dream Demons he's met when using Lucid Gadget.Yumeji: "I'll borrow it, <Insert power's name>!"or "Lend me your power, <Insert power's name>!"
- The Lancer: He's not a potent enough combatant to be The Hero, but he can provide excellent support.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Again, to Merry.
- Mega Manning: His "Lucid Gadget" ability allows him to replicate the powers of Dream Demons he's previously met. Actually, Yumeji isn't actually recreating their powers in the literal sense, he simply lacks the imagination to create anything original.
- "Chaser": Replicates the saw-guillotine sword that John Doe wields.
- "Loneliness": Replicates the giant kokeshi Ichima uses. It can be launched or dropped from nearly every angle.
- "Lovers": Replicates Chris Evergreen's right hand that can be used as a Rocket Punch.
- "Chain": Replicates Noir's chain.
- "Maze": Replicates Landsborough's mechanical clown minion.
- "Familiar": Yumeji makes a clone of himself like Legion.
- "Maestro": Replicates a hand puppet that can conduct loud music like what the Achtelnote twins use.
- "Pharos": Alters the daydream of a Dream Demon.
- "Hunter": Replicates the weapon wielded by Ren when he fuses with Quartier Latin. Yumeji's Idiot hair also changes to look like a lightning bolt.
- "Garden": Replicates one of Engi's Sannasubi swords.
- "Ice Wall": Replicates Hrimthurs' ice.
- Most Writers Are Writers: Part of the Writing Club. He actually met John and his cat minions in the beginning during his Writer's Block in August.
- My God, What Have I Done?: By keeping his promise to his friend, he allowed said friend to be completely consumed by the Big Bad. Needless to say, he doesn't take this revelation well.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Well not including his 'dream vision' ability.
- Special Odd Hand: Yumeji can see the color of what the person will dream by making a circle with his thumb and index finger of his right hand and looking through it. He has also the ability in daydreams and eventually the real world to create weapons or replicate abilities he has seen with his right hand.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- With his Lucid Gadget ability.
- Gets another one when he used Lucid Gadget in the real world and then Ultra Lucid Gadget.
Merry Nightmare is a Dream Demon with severe amnesia. She knows who and what she is (she's a Dream Demon, and for some reason a very powerful one), but she doesn't know how she got from the dreamworld to our world, or why she's stuck here. She is unlike others because she has her own manifestation in the human world. Her only hope of finding a way home is to hunt down other Dream Demons in our world and to find them she needs Yumeji's help. Yumeji has labeled her with the title "Yumekui Merry," or Dream Eater Merry.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: On the manga covers, her hair seems to be dark indigo, but the anime changes it to more of a burgundy.
- Curiously, this doesn't just apply to her hair; there's no real indication of this in the original art, but the animators make Merry's skin slightly pinker than everyone else's.
- Animal Motifs: Sheep, frequently lampshaded.
- Badass Adorable: She's pretty damn cute for a demon, but don't let her petite body and stunning looks fool you, she's one hell of a powerful girl.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fights with fisticuffs, in comparison to every other character.
- Bare Your Midriff: Constantly. The anime even treats it as Fanservice — instead of Panty Shots, we get gratuitous closeups of Merry's bellybutton.
- Subverted in the beach episode; Merry doesn't own a swimsuit, and the one Isana lends her is her old one-piece from school.
- Barrier Maiden: Merry IS part of the system that keeps the dream world separate from ours. Her getting stuck in our world is one of the things that allowed Heracles to rise to power.
- Berserk Button: Don't ever hurt her friends, especially Yumeji.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Isana's Betty.
- Catchphrase: "I have no hopes or dreams."
- Chest Insignia: Arguably the symbol on her camisole top is a stylized Z with the top line going all the way around.
- Cute Bruiser: John actually wonders aloud how she can get so much power out of such a small body.
- Cute Little Fangs: She has them.
- Cute Monster Girl: Being a female Dream Demon.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Never gets a Panty Shot, but she's still every bit as tough as the average Action Girl.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Is a Dream Demon, but without a doubt, she is on our side.
- Does Not Like Spam: Dislikes carbonated drinks.
- Ironically, chapter 99 reveals that she was really excited and wanted to try cola when Yumeji first explained it to her.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils are horizontal rectangles.
- Facial Markings: Two little purple triangles, one under each eye.
- Gamer Chick: She enjoys playing video games.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Does this after Yumeji starts blaming himself for Takateru's mind being completely consumed by Hercules.
- Growling Gut: In episodes 2 and 3, her stomach growls mostly how much of a Big Eater she is.
- Heartbroken Badass: When one misunderstanding almost gets Yumeji killed via Taking the Sword, Merry's rage is sufficient to cause her to take a level in badass right then and there.
- The Hero: Mostly by default, but she's pretty well-suited to the role.
- In-Series Nickname: Yumekui Merry, of course.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Her coat's coattails are somehow always curled.
- Male Gaze: As noted above, she has a lot of shots focusing on her exposed stomach.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She definitely manages to make Yumeji's life more interesting, although he wasn't an Ordinary High-School Student to begin with.
- Monster Roommate: Since she doesn't have a place of her own, staying with Yumeji and Isana is the obvious solution.
- Ms. Fanservice: She can play this off good, due to her good looks, and Bare Your Midriff & Male Gaze shots.
- Nice Hat: She almost never takes it off — which is only to be expected, considering she was created by an author who used to be best known for Touhou Project doujinshi.
- Nice Shoes: Merry wears slip-on shoes with a closed eye sigil design on the toe box of each one.
- Pointy Ears: Has them but are often hidden.
- Security Blanket: In the first episode, she misplaces her hat, panics, and stumbles away from Yumeji mumbling "My hat, my hat, where's my hat..." When she later recovers it, she explains that she's just not comfortable without a hat on.
- She's Got Legs: Her legs are accentuated by her Dangerously Short Skirt and her thigh high stockings.
- Sigil Spam: Her jacket, hat, and shoes have the symbol that is like the top arch on the Gate. It looks like a closed eye.
- Stripperiffic: Indeed. Her attire includes clothes such as a top which leaves most of her stomach exposed, a short skirt that displays her legs rather nicely, and of course the obligatory thigh-high stockings. Which makes it quite amusing on h
- Super OCD: Had a case of this back when she worked as the Gatekeeper. As she kept a massive pile of keys in a certain order, placement and location and after Yumeji messed them up she quickly put them back the way they were.
- Super Toughness: Dream Demons can be hurt, but they — especially Merry — can take a lot more punishment than ordinary humans. For example, there's a scene in the manga, where Merry, Yumeji, and a few others have stumbled into Maze's dream space, that involves Yumeji about to be hit by a robotic clown wielding a giant sledgehammer; Merry leaps in, takes the hit for him, and proceeds to beat the robot into scrap while shouting "THAT... HURT!!"
- Took a Level in Badass: Once she remembered her role as "Sheep", the gatekeeper of the "Gate".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Donuts. She adores them.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Claims not to understand love and other such human emotions.
- That said, after having been asked whether or not she liked Yumeji by Isana (prompting the above claim), she begins to list all of Yumeji's good qualities and how important he is to her, prompting Isana to muse that Merry's feelings are "liking someone."
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Indigo/Burgundy hair
Isana is a childhood friend of Yumeji's, a member of the Art Club, and harbors strong feelings for him. She lives with her father and works at the family-owned Maid Cafe, STO Cafe. She quickly befriends Merry, and it is hinted that she and Yumeji met her at some point in their childhood.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga, her hair is purple-tinted; the anime turns it white.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Invoked. She's very insecure about her weight, and occasionally teased about that insecurity, but she still looks cute and petite to the audience and none of the other characters seem to actually care. Chapter 39 takes this to another level.
- Idiot Hair: Like Yumeji, she's not particularly stupid, just not a genius.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died prior to the start of the series.
- Nice Girl: Unless Yumeji walks in on her at the wrong moment or a guy talks about her weight.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Clearly has very strong feelings for Yumeji, and apparently has had them for some time.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has lilac hair in the manga.
Isana's father, the proprietor of the STO cafe.
A mysterious cat-like Dream Demon that first appears to Yumeji through a recurring dream, having taken an interest in Yumeji and his ability. He is very powerful and owns an impressive army of other cats, which manifest into female kemonomimi during battles. His intentions and loyalties remain unclear, and refers to himself as an "ally of truth", but has nonetheless become something of a mentor figure to Yumeji. He currently inhabits the body of a black cat in the real world.
- Aloof Ally: Only helps when he deems it necessary.
- Awesome McCoolname: Seriously, Chaser John Doe!
- Badass Baritone: Both Joji Nakata and Chris Ayres give John a ridiculously awesome baritone.
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted. He turns out to be an ally.
- Chainsaw Good: John's weapon is a guillotine-shaped chainsaw-like sword.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's a sinister figure at first, but it turns out he's one of the good guys.
- Expressive Mask: His mask can subtly shift between a smile or frown.
- Funny Animal: He's apparently an anthropomorphic cat.
- Hero Antagonist: He debuted invading Yumeji's dreams in an effort to take over his body. He later settled for a cat.
- Improbable Weapon User: Word of God says its a cross between a saw and guillotine.
- In the Hood: He never takes his hood down.
- It Amused Me: Acts like this at times, such as having Cat Girl nurses treat Yumeji and feigning surprise when he complains.
- Meaningful Name: Like all Dream Demons. He is a nightmare of pursuit ("Chaser"), of being stalked and hunted by a faceless menace ("John Doe") for an unknown reason, across a cityscape that feels familiar, but subtly shifts and changes so you never quite escape, no matter how hard, or long, you run. It's also meaningful in that he is one who hunts after the truth, as a "John Doe" is a pressing question of identity, a mystery needing an answer. He's compelled by his nature to embody his name in many possible ways.
- Noble Demon: He's surprisingly helpful when it counts.note
- Seeker Archetype: Refers to himself as an "ally of truth".
- The Smart Guy: A key source of info to the group.
- Stealth Mentor: All those attacks on Yumeji were preparation for what was to come.
Yui is the vessel of the Dream Demon, Engi Threepiece, but unlike possessed persons that were seen thus far, her relationship with her Dream Demon is a sisterly one of mutual respect. Yumeji and Merry first meet Yui at the supermarket, and soon discover that there is more to her than meets the eye (unless it's Yumeji's eye). There are several jabs at her inability to cook, for which she has been labeled "Magical Chemical Cooking Yui" for her foods' severely distinctive and lethal tastes.
- Big Sister Instinct: To Engi, although which of them is literally older is unknown.
- The Chick: Because of her connection with Engi she ends up accompanying the group on most of their exploits, where she provides no combat support, but plenty of emotional support.
- Cool Big Sis: Tries to be this to everyone, be they younger or older.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Was once called "Yougurt".
- Lethal Chef: She is called "Chemical Magical Cooking Yui" for how bad she makes food.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Engi, in the same way that Yumeji is one to Merry.
- Meet Cute: An unusually elaborate one: Merry crashes into her, she drops the doll she'd been thinking about buying, and Yumeji catches it for her.
- Nice Girl: She's very sweet and kind-hearted.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Implied to be into the occult.
- Pinocchio Nose: She has a tell when she is lying; when she lies she touches her hair with her right hand.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Nao most strongly, though some with Engi. And taking Nao's apparent crushing on bit character Hino-senpai into account, maybe some Threesome Subtext for the yuri-minded.
- Ship Tease: With Engi, Nao and her Straight Option Yumeji.
The first benevolent Dream Demon Yumeji and Merry meet. She is blinded by revenge towards Hercules, the Dream Demon that brought her older sister Patty there and ended up killing her. For this reason, she came to the real world, where she met Yui Kounagi. She is currently inhabiting Yui's consciousness, with her permission. She wields (several) swords and eventually, befriends Yumeji and the like.
- Action Girl: And how! She's one of the toughest fighters around.
- The Big Girl: Definitely a powerful fighter, although she's not as good as Merry.
- Cute Monster Girl: She is an angelic knight.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Triangular pupils.
- Hair Wings: Hair shaped as wings.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Unlike Merry, she has no way to send Dream Demons back to the dream world, and she has learned to kill Heracles' underlings in cold blood, although she tries to avoid this now that Merry is around.
- Lady of War: Is very kind and polite to anyone she's not trying to kill.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Her killing of other Dream Demons in her vengeful crusade actually help Hercules' plan to damage the Gate. He even thanks her himself.
- Prehensile Hair: Not just shaped like wings, it can actually be used as wings!
- Revenge Before Reason: After the battle with the Achtelnote twins, she's pretty much hell-bent on killing Heracles even if it means her vessel's life and having to fight her friends. She gets better after Yui calls her out about it.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is very long and shaped into a pair of wings.
- Storm of Blades: Can replicate her sword multiple times to this effect.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit is cut to expose her torso.
- Compressed Hair: Her long hair is kept in her hat.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils are + shaped.
- Meaningful Name: Sonar is meaningful for her ability to find and track other Dream Demons by her singing.
- Nice Hat: She wear a big poofy hat.
- Sensor Character: She can sing to find and track other Dream Demons. In her Daydream, she can analyze other Dream Demons.
- Stripperific: Because her outfit is cut to expose her torso, her breasts are only covered by a thin strip of cloth.
- Exotic Eye Designs: When fused with Quartier Latin his pupils gain lightning bolts (⚡).
- Former Teen Rebel: Was once a delinquent but is trying to make up for it by doing one good deed a day.
- Fusion Dance/Henshin Hero: He can do this with Quartier Latin.
- Hereditary Hairstyle: He and his parents have wispy bangs.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Has a wispy bang that goes left.
- In the Hood: Often wears the hood of his jacket.
- Lonely Rich Kid: His parents are a director of a hospital and one of the doctors; they are barely around for him.
- All Webbed Up: Can make webs of power cords.
Rikka High School
Another member of the Writing Club, reflected in his odd habit of composing haiku at random moments, often with completely mundane subjects. As the only other male member of the club, he is shown to be good friends with Yumeji, and there seems to be a budding romance between him and Saki. He's also the unwitting vessel to the Big Bad "Pharos" Hercules.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When "Pharos" Hercules takes over his body he flips his hair back Aizen-style. After that incident is resolved, Takateru flips his hair back while bragging and causes Saki to panic, thinking he's turned evil again.
- Expy: Only other guy in a club alongside the male protagonist, a very cool head, a slight but near-constant smile, Bishōnen facial features... does he remind anyone else of Itsuki Koizumi?
- Implausible Hair Color: He's blond, and there's no indication that he's But Not Too Foreign.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: It wouldn't be worth mentioning if it wasn't of comparable length to—perhaps even longer than—both Merry's and Saki's.
A close friend of Yumeji and Isana and a fellow member of the Writing Club, she seems to be fascinated by Yumeji's ability to see into dreams. She is quite confident and outgoing most of the time but notably becomes rather timid when she's alone with Takateru, who she is hinted to like.
- Freaky Is Cool: Is quite interested in Yumeji's ability, and lets him check her dreams out for her.
- Gainaxing: A few points in the series have this happen, like in the OP of the anime and during the bread-eating contest of the School Festival in chapter 64 of the manga.
President of the Writing Club, and unwitting vessel to Chris Evergreen, one of the first Dream Demons that Yumeji and Merry encounter. Chris appears to her as a pen-pal who she only knows through text messaging. She dreams of becoming a novelist.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers an awesome one to Chris, and proceeds to forgive him for what he did to her and encourage him to finish his novel.
- Blind Without 'Em: Claimed to be unable to clearly see Chris's face, but it's implied that she was only pretending.
- Club President: Of the Writing Club.
- Cool Big Sis: Is well-liked and respected by her juniors.
- Interspecies Romance: Although not made explicit in the manga, her relationship with Chris bordered on this, and it's implied that she recognized his true form and accepted him regardless.
- Meganekko: She is a cute girl wearing glasses.
- Most Writers Are Writers: Her dream is to become a novelist. This actually becomes an important plot point: the fact that she kept that dream even after Chris was removed from her proves that Dream Demons can, in fact, be sent back to the Dream World rather than being killed.
- Nice Girl: Very nice and even forgives Chris.
- High-Class Glass: Wears a monocle.
- In-Series Nickname: Megu-pon
- In-Series Nickname: Is called "Hii-kun" by Ayano but doesn't like to be called "Hii-kun".
Yui's best friend and classmate who is also in the wind instrument club of the music department. She was targeted as a vessel for the "Maestro" Achtelnote twins.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blonde in the anime.
- Curtains Match the Window: Yellow hair and eyes.
- Mangaka: In-Universe, she is a successful one with many fans.
- Nice Hat: Wears a beret.
A young girl Merry met. She was the human Ichima tried to be with.
- Compressed Hair: Her hat hides her long hair when she wants to.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In her introduction chapter, she often trips when playing.
- Friendless Background: At first from being too self-conscious and worried that other won't like her.
A female Dream Demon that wanted Minato. She embodies Minato's loneliness.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In the real world, she often trips on her own hakama or because of her okobo.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils resemble a jagged swirl.
- HeelFace Turn: Her initial appearance has her as an antagonist but her second appearance has her protecting Minato (and incidentally Ken and Hina).
- Homoerotic Subtext: Hinted at when she drew near Minato with their lips nearly touching and what she said during the action.(taken out of context) "Won't you let me inside you? I want to become one with you."
- Kimono Is Traditional: Wears a kimono with a hakama.
- Nice Shoes: Wears okobo, though she often trips on them.
- Only Friend: She had wanted to be this with Minato, even forbidding her to make new friends.
- Detachment Combat: Can attack with his fists this way.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils look like a sideways H.
- Floating Limbs: His hands, lower legs, and crotch/waist are not connected with each other or his upper torso.
- Star-Spangled Spandex: The inside of his cape looks like a starry night sky.
A young man who wants to travel abroad. He became "Maze" Landsbourough's vessel until Merry saved him.
- Ambiguously Brown: Is it his natural skin color or a really good full-body tan? Probably the former.
- Demonic Possession: Was "Maze" Landsbourough's vessel until Merry freed him.
- Demonic Possession: Was "Chain" Noir's Vessel until Merry freed her.
- Posthumous Character: We only see him in the flashback of the early days of Yui and Engi.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils in either form looks like the top part of the Libra sign.
- Flying Seafood Special: Her normal Dream Demon form.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Has long hair in her human form.
- Making a Splash: She has power over water.
- Meaningful Name: Regalecus is the oarfish.
- Morphic Resonance: Her scarf in human form has the same pattern of her fins in Dream Demon form.
- Partial Transformation: She can partly change between her true Dream Demon form and her human form.
- Shaping Your Attacks: She can make her water take different shapes.
- Token Good Teammate: The least evil of the Dream Demons summoned by Kyou.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair in her human form.
The main antagonist and a very powerful Dream Demon. Very little is known about him, except that he is rallying fellow Dream Demons with the apparent intention of occupying the human world and supplanting the human population. John Doe speculates that this is probably not the full extent of his plan. His human vessel is Takateru, a close friend of Yumeji's.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon is a massive battle ax.
- Arm Cannon: He can turn his left arm into a lighthouse looking one.
- Disc-One Final Boss: He takes up most of the antagonist spot for most of the manga. However, he turned out to be a pawn to Greater-Scope Villain who was just loaning Hercules his power.
- Demoted to Extra: In the anime, which despite build-up, is never fought.
- Evil Laugh: Is very fond of laughing maniacally.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His eyes resembles either a sun or a shining light.
- Frozen Face / Perpetual Smiler: A cartoonish black-on-white jagged-mouthed grin.
- Jerkass / Kick the Dog: Yeah, not like it wasn't completely obvious from the start, but after he takes over Takateru completely, he rubs Yumeji's face in the fact that, by keeping his promise not to use his "dream vision" on Takateru, Yumeji essentially let Hercules completely take over his host. Then he taunts Engi about how weak her sister was, stating that his fight with her was boring to the extreme.
- Meaningful Name: Pharos is the name of several historical lighthouses, including the great lighthouse of Alexandria. He's a dream of guidance, signaling others in their travels. But he's also a dream of flame (as lighthouses had to be lit by fire) and is a consuming destroyer who wishes to burn brighter. "Hercules" is the most obvious part of his name - he is a nearly godlike warrior, impossibly strong and dangerous to have as a foe. And also, as the original Hercules served others in his trials and only became a demigod, so is this Hercules not the true greatest power and instead turned out to be the Dragon rather than the true villain.
- Mega Manning: He can replicate powers of Dream Demons he defeated. He calls forth the item of the Dream Demon and creates a fiery copy that fights for him."Recollection of the flame: <insert power name>
- No-Sell: Ignores Engi's Storm of Blades attack like it was nothing.
- The Unfought: Due to the Gecko Ending of the anime, the protagonists never come across and fight him, despite being established as the original Big Bad between the sixth and tenth episodes.
- Visionary Villain: Although he's carefully avoided telling his underlings his true purpose, this guy has a clear idea of what he wants to achieve and how he'll go about it. Said goal is to alter the conscious world so that Dream Demons can exist without host bodies.
- We Will Meet Again: His parting words to the main characters after they defeat him. Ironically he's killed by another antagonist upon returning to the dream world.
- The Ace: Is good at nearly everything.
- Blood Magic: Can summon Dream Demons by spilling his own blood.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Doesn't get why Sakagami was not happy when his dream came true when he (Kyou) made it so.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils are vertical rectangles.
- Fighting a Shadow: The Kyou seen in reality is actually just a partial incarnation. The actual Kyou is in the dream world.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a scar on his right arm like what Yumeji had and Merry has.
- This is because his arm was originally Yumeji arm that he lost.
- Meaningful Name: His real name is Rem, which refers to the period of sleep in which dreams occur. Its also takes on a new meaning as he is actually the embodiment of the dream world itself.
A notable recurring antagonist, and an underling of Hercules, whom he serves under with pride. While not the biggest direct threat and notably cowardly, his tricks and creations can be quite dangerous on their own. Merry has sent him back to the Dream World.
- Co-Dragons: Shares the position with Chain, though relying on trickery.
- Cyclops: He only has one eye and when in control of his host closes one eye.
- Demonic Possession / Grand Theft Me: Unlike some of the more benevolent Dream Demons, he completely took over his host's body without permission. This eventually caused him trouble, since a host personality not given freedom once in awhile is liable to surface at exactly the wrong moments.
- Which another of Heracles' associates specifically warned him about.
- Demoted to Extra: Like his boss in the anime, with even his sole fight scene being cut down, removing even his clown Mooks that he used in the original manga.
- Dirty Coward: Once Merry and Engi get past his tricks, he's an easy target and most likely would've kicked his ass long ago. It's only because of his human host that they lay off from destroying him. Too bad for him, Merry found a way around this problem and locked the gate to their human hosts.
- The Dragon: Is the sole subordinate to Pharos in the anime, due to Chain being Adapted Out.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils resemble the Tick-Tack-Toe symbol (#).
- For the Evulz: Enjoyed screwing with his host's everyday life and generally acting like an asshole.
- Genre Savvy: Attacks Yumeji while he's developing Lucid Gadget, and lampshades it by stating that only TV characters give their opponents the chance to prepare.
- Human Shield: Used his host more specifically, his host's hopes and dreams as a shield; having become the embodiment of his host's dreams, killing Landsborough would leave his host an empty shell.
- Merry's power allowed her to Take a Third Option against him.
- Meaningful Name: Uses his power to trap people in a maze.
- Squishy Wizard: By his own admission. Still, claims to be tougher than ordinary humans, but Yumeji isn't an ordinary human.
- Adapted Out: Whereas Pharos and Maze still appear (albeit in reduced roles.)
- Bastard Girlfriend: Sadistic streak, chain motif, stripperific.
- Co-Dragons: Shares the second-in-command position with Maze, though relying more on brute strength.
- Demonic Possession: Unlike Maze, she seems to have it down to an art, and knows to give control back to the original owner once in a while.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils resemble a chain link.
- Improbable Hairstyle: There are several streaks of a light color running down her dark hair. What colors they are exactly is hard to tell since she hasn't appeared in any color pages yet, but it definitely wouldn't be natural on a human. Not that there aren't human characters with oddly colored hair.
- Knight of Cerebus: Definitely one of the most serious threats the group has faced yet.
- Meaningful Name: Noir is heavily associated with darkness and the color black. Chain, well... she does use chains as attacks.
- Stripperific: She's very scantily clad.
- Variable-Length Chain: Not at all inhibited by the chains she wears, she's able to move freely and use them to her full advantage.
- Anatomy Arsenal/Blade Below the Shoulder: Both of his arms are blades.
- Bee Afraid: Has the appearance of a wasp or a hornet.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils are a circle with a line on it (☌).
- Meaningful Name: He is named after an ancient toy that is similar to a kendama, his vessel had a kendama.
- Posthumous Character: We only see him during the flashback of the early days of Yui and Engi.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils is four dots in a diamond formation.
- Flight: It/they can agilely fly.
- Meaningful Name: Familiar refers to a magical servant of a master. Legion refers to the demon Legion from the Bible who was exorcised by Jesus.
- Ambiguous Gender: Is it male or female in its normal Dream Demon form. Still somewhat hard in human form but is probably male.
- Morphic Resonance: Its human form keeps the braids of its dream demon form.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Sometimes an eye is seen when it is livid in Dream Demon form.
- Super Senses: Has great hearing like a bat.
- Villainous Rescue: Killed Hrimthurs when he decided to do a surprise attack on Merry and Yumeji after they were exhausted.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her eyes are swirls.
Other Dream DemonsDream Demons that have their own agenda.
- Coordinated Clothes: They wear the same outfit.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Their pupils resemble music staffs with a whole rest.
- Hand Puppet: Both twins each have one that holds an F-clef and use them to attack with music. Destroying them makes the twins unable to do anything.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Aeolian's hair is more length down than Ionian's who is more rolled shorter. Aeolian also has her hand puppet in her left hand while Ionian wield her hand puppet with her right.
- Meaningful Name/Musical Theme Naming: Maestro is the Italian word for "master" or "teacher" used for calling a conductor. Achtelnote is German for 8th note. Aeolian refers to the Aeolian mode or the Aeolian harmony. Ionian refers to the Ionian mode or the Ionian School of Music.
- Musical Assassin: Both sisters can use music as attacks through their hand puppets.
- Canon Foreigner: All characters in this section.
A Dream Demon who wants to kill Treesea to avenge his comrades.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils have the appearance of an X.
She is a Dream Demon that can force other Dream Demons into human hosts so she can later hunt and kill them.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils look like a tree with three bare branches.
- For the Evulz: Why she does what she does.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Mystleteinn? Mistleteinn? Mistilteinn?
Kagefumi Merry characters
- Clone by Conversion: She is actually an unknown Dream Demon who was converted into a Wiles copy who was then turned into a copy of the real Merry Nightmare when she touched the Gate.
- Does Not Like Spam: Unlike the real Merry, she doesn't like donuts.
- Doppelgänger: Looks identical to the real Merry Nightmare except mirrored and other details.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils look like vertical rectangles. When using her powers from being a Wiles, her pupils become that of Wiles.
- Facial Markings: Also have markings under her eyes. Yuuki gets them when she is in control of his body.
- Hunter of Their Own Kind: Because she was a Wiles copy, hunting down the other Wiles copies and the original Wiles makes her kinda this.
- Identity Amnesia: She can't remember who she originally was before being converted into a Wiles.
- In the Hood: One of the differences between her and the real Merry is that she wears a hood instead of a hat.
- In the Hood: Often wears a hoodie with the hood off. When Merry is in control, she often wears it with the hood on.
- Damsel in Distress: Got kidnapped by Wiles to draw out Yuuki the host of Merry who was killing off his copies.
- Demonic Possession: Got possessed by Wiles (the main one).
- Exotic Eye Designs: When Issac is in control a crescent moon is shown (☾).
- Adaptation Personality Change: In his original appearance, he is at best neutral. The anime has him more monstrous. The Kagefumi Merry manga actually gave him a name has shown him more heroic.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His wings act like this.
- Ascended Extra: Originally appeared as a nameless Dream Demon that Merry met in the main story.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His eyes look like a crescent moon.
- Ascended Extra: Originally appeared as a nameless Dream Demon that Merry met in the main story.
- Bad with the Bone: Can rearrange his bones into a large weapon. It hurts him when forming it, though.
- Dem Bones: Appears as a huge skeleton wearing some ragged cloth and boots.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils are normally a pause symbol, though it can change also into a ! or a ? depending on his state of mind.
- Ascended Extra: Originally appeared as a nameless Dream Demon that Merry met in the main story.
- The Assimilator: He wants to control and live through the humans that are controlled through his converted Dream Demon copies.