Victor Joseph Mignogna ("min-YAH-na") is a voice actor who has managed to make himself quite a niche in the Anime community. Vic started out as Dark Mousy in D.N.Angel although most recognize him from his role as everyone's favorite badass reasonable height-wise person Edward Elric in both anime adaptations of Fullmetal Alchemist. He's one of those guys that you just can't pigeonhole due to the diversity of his roles (though he frequently gets cast as characters who happen to be blond). Also happens to be quite the professional singer and songwriter, with several anime songs under his belt as well as a few albums.
Aside from inventing the Lucky Dance song for the English dub of Bleach (where he plays Ikkaku Madarame), he and FMA co-star Aaron Dismuke formed their own "fanbase incarnate" in the form of the Risembool Rangers, which occasionally follow them from con to con. Travis Willingham's Miniskirt Army is known to be their rival. He was seen enjoying Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series creator LittleKuriboh doing a spoof of Vic (along with Dan Green and Johnny Yong Bosch), and also narrated and directed the infamous commercial for Sakura Con (GIRUGAMESH!). He also developed a friendly rivalry with fellow voice actor Todd Haberkorn, fueled in part by them both having passionate fanclubs, and also that their similar vocal niches have led them to voicing characters that also shared Japanese seiyuu. They've even relayed stories of nearly getting cast as each others respective characters more than once. Has now moved permanently to California to pursue more varied roles and other opportunities outside Funimation.
On the live action side, Mignogna most notably spearheaded a Fan Sequel Web Video series to Star Trek: The Original Series called Star Trek Continues, where he took on the role of Captain Kirk himself. The project, boasting some pretty impressive production values, was well received by both Star Trek fans and critics alike, and praised for staying true to the style and spirit of original Trek, not least in the portrayal of Kirk; a performance which has proved to many that Mignogna's talents are not just limited to voice acting and that he can actually hold his own just fine in live action as well. In probable homage to this, Star Trek Online cast him as 23rd century Starfleet Captain Isaac Garrett in the Agents of Yesterday expansion.
Allegations of sexual harassment have followed Mignogna for decades, ultimately coming to a head in January 2019 after the release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Multiple stories of sexual harassment perpetrated by Mignogna on convention goers, convention staffers, and fellow voice actors went viral through various social media channels and news sites. Since then, Mignogna was recast in almost all ongoing roles and ceased receiving new ones. A defamation lawsuit was filed by Mignogna against several of his accusers and Funimation, but was dismissed by the courts for lack of merit.
Notable roles by Vic Mignogna:
- Accel World: Yellow Radio
- AIR: Yukito Kunisaki and Sora
- The Asterisk War: Randy Hooke and Ernest Fairclough
- Attack on Titan: Eld Jinn
- Bleach: Ikkaku Madarame
- Brothers Conflict: Fuuto Asahina
- Bungou Stray Dogs: Ranpo Edogawa
- A Certain Scientific Railgun: Trick
- Claymore: Rigardo
- Code Geass: Luciano Bradley
- Digimon Adventure tri.: Matt Ishida
- Digimon Fusion: Christopher Aonuma and Mad Leomon
- D.N.Angel: Dark Mousy
- Dragon Ball Z: Broly (The story for how he got this role is rather interesting...)
- Dragon Ball Z Kai: Burter (also sang the English version of the Kai opening for the TV broadcasts versions)
- Fairy Tail: Mard Geer Tartaros
- Fate/Extra Last Encore: Archer/Robin Hood
- Free!: Eternal Summer: Rin Matsuoka
- Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Edward Elric (arguably, his most famous role)
- Full Metal Panic!: Kurz Weber
- Generator Gawl: Gawl (first lead role in an anime)
- Ghost Stories: Da Vinci
- Haruhi Suzumiya: Yutaka Tamaru
- Heroic Age: Rom Ro
- Hetalia: Axis Powers: Greece
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: Rohan Kishibe
- Karneval: Karoku
- Kekkaishi: Yoshimori Sumimura
- Level E: Prince Baka Ki El Dogra
- Lord Marksman and Vanadis: Roland
- Magi: Labyrinth of Magic: Ka Koubun
- Naruto: Obito Uchiha, Nagato, and Cee
- One Piece: Sabo (adult)
- Ouran High School Host Club: Tamaki Suoh
- Pokémon: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice: Keldeo
- Princess Nine: Hiroki Takasugi
- Princess Tutu: Femio
- RahXephon: Mamoru
- Sailor Moon (Viz Media dub): Ryo Urawa
- Saint Seiya: Unicorn Jabu and Lizard Misty
- Saiyuki (A.D.V dub): Kougaiji
- Show by Rock!!: Shuu☆Zo
- SHUFFLE!: King of Demons
- Soul Eater: Spirit Albarn
- Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Hikaru Ichijo
- Tiger & Bunny: Hans Chuckman and Dr. Rotwang
- Touken Ranbu - Hanamaru: Mikazuki Munechika
- Tsubasa Chronicle: Fai D. Flourite
- Twin Star Exorcists: Yuuto Ijika
- Vampire Knight: Zero and Ichiru Kiryu
- The Vision of Escaflowne (Funimation dub): Folken Lacour de Fanel
- Yu Yu Hakusho: Bui and Urashima
- Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia: Radolf Schnaizen
- Devil Survivor Overclocked: Gigolo
- Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 2: Mao
- Dynasty Warriors 7: Jia Xu and Xiahou Ba (uncredited)
- League of Legends: Malzahar and Lee Sin
- Legend of the Mystical Ninja: Goemon
- Luminous Arc: Alph
- Mana-Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy: Pepperoni
- Persona 3: Junpei Iori
- Persona 4: Kou Ichijo
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Jumpei Iori and Igor
- Phantom Brave: We Meet Again: Walnut
- Sengoku Basara series and Samurai Warriors 3: Akechi Mitsuhide
- Sonic the Hedgehog series: E-123 Omega (starting from Sonic Colors)
- Star Trek Online: Captain Isaac Garrett
- Fallout: Nuka Break: The Narrator and two merchants
- Star Trek Continues: Captain Kirk
- Star Trek: Renegades : Garis the Cardassian
- RWBY: Qrow Branwen (Volumes 3-6)
- Miraculous Ladybug: Jalil Kubdel/The Pharaoh
Tropes about his roles:
- Berserk Button:
- His most famous roles involve characters that have Berserk Buttons that become running jokes. He is therefore well known for extremely funny screaming. Notable character roles include Ed, Ikkaku, Tamaki, Mao and Broly.
- Ironically, in Mana-Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy, he plays a giant fairy who hates being called large.
- Bishōnen: Most of the characters he play tend to be pretty-boys.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Or rather, Mr. Anime-Cosplayer Guy. How ironic is it that one of the Real Fans Of Genius videos is about this, and Vic has cosplayed as several characters himself (recently donning the Cross Academy uniform to reveal his role as Zero)!
- Man of a Thousand Voices: A common joke among fans is that he sounds the same in all his roles, but the truth is he's actually got an impressively wide vocal range if given the chance to utilize it.
- This can be best seen in his live-action appearances in Fallout: Nuka Break, where he plays the Narrator (in his best Ron Perlman impression) and two different merchants.
- Also, his voice as Broly is nigh unrecognizable compared to some of his more famous roles, and he's capable of doing a near-perfect vocal impersonation of Yoda.
- The voice he used for Qrow in RWBY is a nice medium between his Broly voice and the blond, pretty boy voice he's (in)famous for. The same also applies to his voice as Jia Xu.
- Mundane Made Awesome: One of his songs, "The Legend of Middle Tennessee", is a mock-heroic account of how his fanbase, the Risembool Rangers, won a dodgeball game against Travis Willingham's Miniskirt Army.
- Relationship Voice Actor: On the Japanese side of things, he shares four roles with Mamoru Miyano — Shuu☆Zo in Show by Rock!!, Tamaki in Ouran High School Host Club, Zero in Vampire Knight, and Rin in Free!.