This is a list of characters that appeared in the light novel, Infinite Dendrogram. In-development.
Kingdom of Altar
Main Job: Paladin (Sub Jobs: Prism Rider, Dead Soldier, Scout)
Embryo: Maiden of Vengeance, Nemesis (Type: Maiden with Arms)
Voiced by: Soma Saito (Japanese), Kyle Phillips (English)
A recent high school graduate looking forward to his summer vacation before the college semester starts. He starts as a new player to Infinite Dendrogram following the invitation of his brother Shu.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses his arm killing Hugo, and opts not to take the Death Penalty which would restore it.
- He's given a replacement limb afterwards, but that gets melted during his fight in Volume 7. Thankfully, he gets his arm regenerated by Tsukuyo afterwards.
- Cool Horse: Zephyros Silver, a mechanical horse that can be ridden into battle if the user has the Horse Riding Skill. Its abilities are further enhanced with the Prism Rider job.
- Vengeance is Mine requires Ray to take a hit and deals back double the damage he's taken from the enemy in the last 24 hours. It can even harm spirits, but is based solely on HP so it won't affect damage done to his SP or MP.
- He later gains Payback from the Stars, which does triple the damage he's taken and has ranged and homing attributes.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: A defining trait of his personality is that he is willing to fight for other Masters and Tians.
- Chuunibyou: It's subtle but there, given his fashion sense and how he can understand what Juliet is saying.
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: In his battle against Hugo in Volume 5, he has lost the use of both arms, so he grabs Nemesis' blade by the hilt with his teeth and jams it into his opponent's heart to finish him. Though it's later noted he could only do this because to him, her weapon forms are essentially weightless.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's a genuinely good person, but his fashion sense basically makes him looks like more of a villain than some of the villains he's met. He actually gets attacked because of it once, and didn't even realize it was because of that.Ray:But Nemesis, all Im wearing is demonic gauntlets, corpse boots, a light-consuming coat, and red and black composite armor. None of these are that bad, right?
- Damage Reduction: His Paladin's Aegis reduces all Physical and Magical damage he takes by 10% and costs no MP to use. However, he has to be in the "Knight" Job class group to use it.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit:
- Intentionally eats a portion of the Gouz-Maise UBM after hitting it with Hellish Misama to inflict himself with a number of different debuffs before using the effects of Nemesis' Second Form to reverse them.
- He allowed Hugo to cut off his arm in order to use Vengeance is Mine and kill him in a single stroke.
- Earn Your Title: Gets nicknamed "The Unbreakable" for not breaking despite facing a Superior, when he himself was at a far lower level than the other guy.
- The Determinator: He will fight his enemy, even if they are higher-leveled than him, and even if he is unable to use both of his arms.
- Famed in Story: The events that earn him the title of "The Unbreakable" have left him with this status by Volume 6. However, it also results in several people not only targeting him, but his techniques and fighting style are also revealed, making his battles afterwards much harder.
- Energy Weapon: His Black Warcoat, Monochrome, has the ability to absorb light and then release it all as a single destructive beam called Shining Despair.
- The Gambling Addict: Has a Gacha addiction that won him Silver.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Gains skills from his main job in the form of holy element skills.
- Purifying Silverlight is an active skill that grants the holy element to the user's attacks and severely damages the undead, increasing damage done to them tenfold. All damage by this skill cannot be healed by the undead, though some can get around it depending on their abilities. He can also use it to charge up Shining Despair.
- Grand Cross is an active skill where the user attacks with a pillar of holy light in the shape of a cross.
- Last Chance Hit Point: Last Command from the Dead Soldier class allows him to keep moving even if his hit points are reduced to zero for a limited amount of time.
- The Law of Power Proportionate to Effort: Vengeance is Mine deals more damage based on the damage Ray takes by a specific enemy. The more he takes, the more he can dish back out to that enemy.
- Little Bit Beastly: He grows a pair of Dog Ears after ingesting a potion in Volume 2. It actually gets him pretty mad since one of the three things he swore to himself to never wear were Animal Ear Headbands. Plus it allows Franklin to listen in and spy on him.
- Living with the Villain: a variant. He lives in the same apartment complex as Francesca AKA Mr. Franklin.
- Mechanical Horse: Owns one in the form of a Prism Steed called Zephyros Silver, crafted by Flagman, a famed artisan from an ancient civilization. While most people suspect it is a replica, as the color silver usually indicates that, it is in fact the last one that Flagman created.
- The Medic: Has access to healing spells while in his Paladin Job. Although he usually uses them on himself, his first use was on a passing fellow Master and Embryo.
- My Greatest Failure: As a child he threw himself in front of a girl who was about to be hit by a truck, only to wind up nearly getting them both killed. Shu had to save them both, resulting in his leg being badly injured right before a Championship match. While Shu still won the match, he never forgot how helpless he felt.
- The Paladin: His main Job is a High-Rank job from the Knight Grouping. This class gives him defensive stats, along with holy and defensive skills.
- The Power of Hate: His prize, the Grudge Soaked Greaves, Gouz-Maise, feeds off despair and grudges and negative emotions and turns them into MP that he can store or dump into a skill.
- Rage Breaking Point: When he learned the Tian Lich killed hundreds of children in order to try and obtain the Superior Job as a Necromancer and then planned on killing the ones he came to rescue just because that was what he was there for, he goes into a full-blown rage and hunts him down through the abandoned fortress. It's notably the first time he actively kills a Tian.
- Real Name as an Alias: Played with. By his own words, "Ray" is a shortened version of his given name "Reiji", while "Starling" is the English translation of his surname "Mukudori".
- Red Baron: After his public victory against Mister Franklin, people start calling him "The Unbreakable".
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Because he jumped straight into a High-Rank Job (Paladin) without going through a Low-Rank Job in the same skill tree, Ray learns relatively few skills early on as they were initially learned through the Low-Rank Job (like Horse Riding). However, because he jumped into the High-Rank Job with such a low total level (the combined levels of all his known classes), he was able to learn a skill with a requirement made harder to earn at higher levels (Purifying Silverlight) and would require anyone else to reset every other job barring Paladin to 0 just to have a chance to learn it.
- Signature Move: Purifying Silverlight, which can be applied to equipment (and Silver) as well as weapons. While Tian Paladins also have it, most Master Paladins don't receive this move, as it requires the Paladin to defeat 100 undead monsters around the same total level range as themselves. As Paladin is a high-rank job, most Masters usually have a much higher total level than the undead than they can feasibly kill. He gained it from killing 100 reanimated children in order to rescue the living ones taken by the necromancer.
- Summon to Hand: His Instant Equip ability allows him to change weapons with any in his inventory rather than manually search for it, but has a 5-minute cooldown.
- Weapon of Choice: The Embyro, Nemesis, takes his personality and turns into weapons based on it.
An Embryo born from Ray's personality and his loyal maiden on his journey through the world of VRMMO.
- Barrier Warrior: She's the source of Ray's Counter Absorption ability, and can trigger it whenever she desires so long as she has the charges.
- Big Eater: Besides his Gacha addiction, Nemesis stomach is Rays second biggest expense.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: She can turn her hand into a small blade if she has to fight on her own, though she notes her stats are lower than Ray's.
- Cute Little Fangs: She often shows a pair of fangs when she smiles.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her appearance is that of girl wear a black Gothic dress
- Meaningful Name: Her name comes from the Greek goddess of indignation and retribution for evil acts and undeserved rewards. This is a reflection of her powers that she can grant to her Master.
- Weapon of Choice: The form(s) she can take come from the personality of her Master and his experience. Most forms have access to the Counter Absorption skill, which creates a wall of light that can absorb up to 400,000 points of damage, but carries only 3 stock uses and recharges once per day.
- Nemesis' "Black Blade" form is a long black Western greatsword with the skill Vengeance is Mine, which records and sends damage taken by a specific target within a 24 hour period onto said target and deals it double. After the skill is used, the target's damage counter turns to 0 for the day.
- Her second form, "Flag Halberd", has the skill "Like a Flag Flying the Reversal", which is a buff-type skill that can reverse any debuffs cast on Ray (Bleeding increases bloodflow instead, Poison regenerates health, etc.), but costs 1 SP every second, has to have been cast on him via enemy rather than self-inflicted, and if the enemy is substantially stronger then the effects are minimal at best.
- Her third form comes in α and β forms, both of which carry their own respective skills. Her α form, titled "Black Shield", comes in the form of a large, circular black shield that can use the Counter Absorption skill at Lv.3. Her β form, named "Shooting Wheel", takes the form of a large pinwheel with metallic edges and its skill is Payback Beyond The Stars, in which the pinwheel is launched after a minute of charging and will take the damage Ray received from that enemy within 24 hours and deals back triple that amount as direct damage to the target. It will also automatically home in on the target with the speed and maximum distance equal of amount of damage on the target's damage counter. It takes a full minute to charge and can only be used once per day.
- Her fourth form is called "Black Mirror", and takes in the form of an elegant winged mirror that floats behind Ray. The wings can detach into short swords which can use Vengeance is Mine, though they can only apply half the maximum damage. Its main skill is "Chaser from Mirroring", which is a buff-type skill that increases Ray's stats to equal a corresponding stat of a target that has dealt damage to him within 24 hours. It can only mirror one stat at the time of activation and will not change to reflect any increase or decrease after that. The cost is that the target's damage counter is subtracted every minute and deactivates when no longer possible.
Main Job: King of Destruction (Sub Jobs: Crasher, Destroyer)
Embyro: War God Ship, Baldr (Type: Guardian Gear Fortress Weapon)
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese), Chris Guerrero (English)
An experienced player and older brother to the main protagonist of the series. He has an easygoing and whimsical personality and often making bear puns. He also shares his brother's trait of protecting others no matter what.
- The Ace: Noted to be a natural genius at any hobby he sets his mind to, with art being the sole exception.
- Anti-Structure: Jobs from the Crasher grouping are typically seen as this, due to their Special Attacks being too slow to use against mobile targets. Shu manages to pull it off anyway.
- Arm Cannon: Baldr's first form. Its Special Attack "Strength Cannon" fires a shot that deals damage equal to 5 x its Embryo level x Shu's STR. Despite it's respectable power, it's slow enough that Shu rarely finds much use for it.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His build is focused purely on STR, which in normal cases means he should easily be defeated by faster fighters. Yet he usually overwhelms them by reading their moves ahead of time.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: His main job, King of Destruction, focuses purely on STR and has completely unbalanced stats. One skill that he possesses is Right of Destruction, that allows him to destroy indestructible targets that have lower endurance compared to the user's attack power, which can be used on spirits, slimes, and even Territory-type Embryos. Another is "World Breaker", the final skill of the King of Destruction that allows him to destroy space, before the damaged space is restored, causes damage to anything within the range, including the user.
- Bears Are Bad News: As the King of Destruction, he's one of the strongest people in the world. Which is appropriate, as the word for bear in many languages is thought to derive from an ancient word for destruction. His bear suit was actually a reward for defeating a UBM named Kim-un-kamuy, after the Ainu mountain god.
- Beary Funny: Ends his sentences in "kuma" (Japanese) or makes bear puns whenever possible (in translation). However, he mostly just does this around Ray, and will drop it when the situation gets serious.
- Berserk Button: Do not mess with his little brother, or he will raise hell on their face. Both the Superior Killer and Giga Professor found it the really hard way.
- Big Brother Instinct: Play straight with his little brother Ray; he basically destroyed an entire area where a PK had killed Ray.
- Blinded by the Light: His F-Shells are essentially flash-bang grenades strong enough to permanently blind a human.
- Cool Boat: Baldr transforms into one of these in its sixth form.
- Finger Firearms: Baldr's seventh and final form has two cannon arrays, each with five barrels. When Shu uses his ultimate skill to equip Baldr as armour, these arrays become hands while retaining their original function.
- Foreshadowing: There's heavy hints that he's the The King of Destruction early on in Volume 1.
- He mentions that only ranked Masters can participate in a War and the Superiors of Altar all skipped the last war, with the King of Destruction being quoted as saying he didn't want to expose his face if his gear broke, something that Liliana was angry at him over given that she's one of the few people still alive who knows his identity.
- Likewise, his outfit will obscure his stats so long as he's at least 100 levels above the player who wants to see them, but Low-Level Jobs only go up to 50 Levels and High Jobs only go up to 100, meaning he'd have to either have multiple Jobs or have a Superior Job, who can go up to 500.
- He mentions Baldr's fifth form and higher forms (plural) would be too big for the Tomb Labyrinth. Embryos can only reach up to the Seventh Level, which are considered Superior, and there are less than a hundred players with them. Then we see a War Ship Embryo later on that's large enough to be seen in the distance when the King of Destruction is fighting against a P Ker.
- Fixed Damage Attack: His DD Shells deal direct damage, ignoring defense.
- Gatling Good: Baldr's second form takes the form of a gatling gun.
- Goofy Suit: He is always in a full-body suit to hide his identity, due to his character in the game looking the same as his real-life self. In fact, (with one exception) whenever he defeats a UBM the reward is always another Goofy Suit, to the point where he suspects that the control AIs are screwing with him. His favorite seems to be Ultimate Suit Series: Hind Bear, which was dropped by a monster based on an Ainu deity, and can transform into a less goofy "Godcloth" form.
- Goroawase Number: All the numerical values on his bear suit are 903, for kuma-san (bear).
- Hero of Another Story: As the King of Destruction, he's been active in Infinite Dendrogram since it began and has countless stories to his name, from saving the First Princess after she was kidnapped by the King of Crimes to slaying Gloria.
- Idle Rich: He owns three apartments in urban Tokyo area, all he needs to do is to sit on his butt and collect rent and spend some 20hrs a day in Infinite Dendrogram. Even the money he used to buy those apartment buildings came from winning the lottery multiple times, back when he was in college.
- Joke Item: His original costume back when the game first came out was this. It had no defense at all. But since he screwed up his Character Creation, he ultimately didn't have a choice. Since then he's gotten used to the costumes and beefed up.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Before the Un-Kra Championship Finals, he broke his leg saving two kids from an accident. He proceeds to enter the match despite being heavily injured and immediately kicks his opponent with his broken leg, shocking him enough that he's unable to defend and is knocked out in one hit.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: As a veteran player (and long-standing Altarian military asset) he's heavily entangled in the politics of tians and even the control AIs. However, he acts goofy around Ray because he doesn't want to push his problems onto him, and would rather he figure out his place in the world for himself.
- Real Name as an Alias: Played with. Like his brother, he translated his surname into English, while shortening his given name.
- Sentry Gun: Baldr transforms into one of these in its third form.
- Supreme Chef: His food is so good, he can send people who eat it into a catatonic state. He even has to water down his popcorn before he can make it available to the public. Note that this is a sense skill, meaning that he brought it over from the real world.
- Tank Goodness: Baldr's fourth form transforms it into a tank.
- Transforming Mecha: His Embryo's ultimate skill, "Unmatched War God, Baldr" transforms its seventh form into a giant suit of armor, doubling his STR and scaling up his other stats to match. Due to the immense power requirements, he can only maintain this form for 30 minutes before it needs to be recharged.
- Verbal Tic: While goofing around, he ends his sentences in "kuma" (bear). In the English translation, this is rendered as an onslaught of bear puns. The English subtitles for the Animated Adaptation have him end his sentences in "grizz" instead.
Main Job: Lost Heart (Sub Jobs: Pimp, High Tamer, Harlot, Enchanter)
Embryo: Depraved Devil, Babylon (Type: Guardian)
Voiced by: Makoto Koichi (Japanese), Ciaran Strange (English)
A Master that began playing around the same time as Ray, even having a sapient female Embryo like him. He gains a tamer class to complement his own Embyro much like that of Ray after gaining his advice.
- The Ace: He was born talented with the ability to comprehend the various skills of his parents, a master detective and a phantom thief.
- Awesome by Analysis: His real-life experience as a detective has helped him gain a deductive skill that can be used in the game and helps gain information during combat.
- The Beastmaster: His Pimp job is a variant specialised in boosting female minions, which he chose because his Embryo falls in that category. However, it's implied that the job was more intended for tians, and that Rook's focus on female monsters is Not the Intended Use.
- Born Lucky: He has a stupid amount of luck, to the point where he managed to get a minion from a UBM and get a MVP weapon from a UBM by Volume 2.
- Bishōnen: A factor that allowed him to gain the "Pimp" class from the Tian who grants it.
- Charm Person: The Pimp job's "Male Temptation" skill is a Charm effect that works on female humans and monsters, causing them to attack their allies. This synergises with Babi's "Lilim Temptation", which is identical but affects males.
- Cold Reading: Excellent at figuring out people's backgrounds and telling what they're thinking, to the point where he sometimes jokes that he read their mind.
- Eek, a Mouse!!: He's afraid of mice to where he jumps up in a panic.
- Gut Feeling: Rook has a natural skill called Beast Judgement, which gives him a sensation drawing him to monsters that he has an affinity with.
- Hate at First Sight: To Hugo.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: His incredible intelligence growing up made it difficult for him to make friends.
- Kirk Summation
- Obfuscating Stupidity: At the start of the series, though his true intellect is revealed in side-stories and the rest of the cast gradually pick up on it as well.
- Reading Lips: He can read lips, having been practicing since he was 5 years old.
- Teen Genius: While as a 15 year old, his deducing skill and thieving skill has already exceeded that of his parents' who are both world-renowned detectivenote and phantom thiefnote , respectively.
A Type: Guardian Embryo with a warm and friendly personality that can get along with most people. She deeply cares for Rook as his Embryo and comforts him in times of need.
- Charm Person: Her "Lilim Temptation" skill can charm male players and monsters, inflicting them with the Charm status and causing them to attack their allies.
- Fusion Dance: Her "Union Jack" is the Power Booster variant, where she fuses with Rook and a tamed monster under Rooks command to form a new creature. All of the HP, MP, SP, and skills are given to the gestalt. While using this skill, it is possible for Rook to be on an equal level to a battle type Superior Job but there is a harsh SP consumption of the skill that only lasts 5 minutes at maximum. If Rook dies, then the tamed monster dies as well. Babylon gained the skill from Rook's desire to fight together with his Embyro and monsters like Ray does with Nemesis.
- G-Rated Sex: Despite being a succubus named after the Whore of Babylon she's also the Embryo of Rook, who is barred from any of the game's explicit content due to being a minor. As a result, her "sexy" behaviour is limited to things like offering shoulder massages.
- Horny Devils: Her Lilim Temptation skill applies the Charm debuff on males, while Lilim Drain absorbs MP, SP, and HP from those with said debuff.
- In-Universe Nickname: "Babi".
- No-Sell: In their fusion state as a "Dragon-Devil-Man", they are essentially immune to Cocytus' La Porte D'Enfer (which punishes killing creatures of the same type) because they've never met another Dragon-Devil-Man, let alone killed one.
- Power Copying: Her skill, Drain Learning, that while using Lilim Drain on a target has a percentage-based-on-level chance to randomly absorb a skill from the target. Due to this ability, Rook has access to more skills than normal builds would have at his level.
- Shout-Out: To Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai. The first use of Union Jack creates a Ryuumajin (Dragon-Devil-Man) similar in appearance to the Dragon Knight's Super Mode of the same name.
Main Job: Journalist -> Death Shadow (Sub Jobs: Shadow, Onmitsu,Journalist)
Embyro: Phantasmal Raingun, L'Arc-en-Ciel (Type: Legion)
Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (Japanese), Amber Lee Connors (English)
A Journalist allied with the organization DIN and often a source of information about Masters and Kingdoms within Infinite Dendrogram. In real life, her name is Ichinomiya Nagisa who has started drawing manga in elementary school as a part of the school's illustration club. She drew shoujo manga in middle school and drew her first shounen manga in high school. Her first shonen manga she drew, Into the Shadow, was selected in a contest and gained a one-shot in a magazine and became serialized after positive feedback. The manga was successful and she went towards higher education and became a professional mangaka. The magazine then went bankrupt but the manga series continued into another but came to develop writers' block that led to her going on hiatus. She soon discovered Infinite Dendrogram and decided to play as the main character of her manga, Marie Adler, in order to fix her writer's block. After training in Tenchi, she obtained the Superior Job, Death Shadow and works as a hitman like her manga character that focused on player-killing. She then rose in infamy as the mysterious Superior Killer after player-killing the King of Plagues, a Superior known for slaughtering thousands of tians.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: The cause of her Lethal Chef status, as the cooking skill in-game creates food to her own tastes.
- Inner Monologue Conversation: With Rook who can read people's thought by reading their face.Marie: Rook, could you stop talking to my thought?!!!.
- Lethal Chef: She is horrible at cooking, even with the in game cooking skill to aid her, the taste is still abysmal according to Ray.
- Limited Wardrobe: She'd always wear the suits of her, no matter the situation.
- Ninja: Her main Job being Death Shadow, is a Superior Job that is AGI-based with skill based on concealing the user's presence. The ultimate skill of the Death Shadow allows the user to completely conceal their presence by vanishing from the world itself. While this skill is active, the user cannot affect anything and nothing can affect them either
- Swiss Army Gun:
- Her Embryo, Phantasmal Raingun, L'Arc-en-Ciel, is a Form IV Type: Legion that takes the form of a revolver that can shoot out bullet-like creatures. Depending on what bullet is used to fire by it. Marie paints them in a certain color along with giving a creature multiple abilities at the same time but the overall power of each ability will be decreased:
- Black Pursuit: Adds a homing ability
- Red Burst: Increase power and adds an explosive ability
- Blue Spread: Increases amount of bullet creatures
- White Anesthetic: Adds anesthetic properties to the bullet creature
- Green Piercing: adds piercing ability
- Silver Flash: adds holy properties to bullets
- Phantasmal Raingun, L'Arc-en-Ciel is the ultimate skill of the Embryo where Marie can summon creatures she paints on pre-prepared bullets with the various colors of paint. She uses characters from her manga, Into the Shadow, for this ability:
- Daisy Scarlet the Explosion Murder, uses a combination of Red and Black
- Ulbetia the Piercing Murder, uses a combination of Green and Silver
- Her Embryo, Phantasmal Raingun, L'Arc-en-Ciel, is a Form IV Type: Legion that takes the form of a revolver that can shoot out bullet-like creatures. Depending on what bullet is used to fire by it. Marie paints them in a certain color along with giving a creature multiple abilities at the same time but the overall power of each ability will be decreased:
- Punch-Clock Villain: She took the job of killing newbies in Noz Forest so that she could collect material for her Manga (not to mention the pay is good, though). Not that she is investing in some evil scheme.
Main Job: Over Gladiator (Sub Jobs: Gladiator)
Embyro: Red Lionheart Star, Cor-Leonis (Type: Arms)
Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (Japanese), Christopher Wehkamp (English)
- Badass Transplant: Red Lionheart Star, Cor-Leonis is the Form VII Type: Arms Embryo that takes the form of a prosthetic heart. As a superior Embryo, it is tough enough to block a blow from another Superior Embryo.
- The Berserker: His "Physical Berserk" skill allows him to increase his strength at the cost of preventing him from using Special Attacks, though he has another skill which allows him to retain more control while berserk.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: He couldn't beat Gloria entirely on his own, but he still managed to take out its One-Horned Head at the cost of several MVP rewards that were permanently destroyed and using his Ultimate Skill twice. Note that Gloria was easily one of the strongest SUBMs in existence.
- Chainsaw Good: He possess a Greatsword with a Chainsaw blade.
- Item Caddy: His build centers around the use of items.
- His Gladiator job allows equipping all types of weapons, and Over Gladiator (the Superior Job from the gladiator grouping) lets him equip more weapons and switch between them easily.
- "Arms Selector", one of his Embryo's passive abilities, doubles the effects of his equipped items, with the multiplier increasing the more item slots he leaves empty. Its "Dance of Anima" also causes the multiplier to increase slowly over time while Figaro is in battle (in its third form, the boost was 1% every 3 seconds).
- His Embryo's ultimate skill "Burn Up My Life, Cor-Leonis" boosts the effects of items to the absolute limit, to the point where UBM special rewards can match the power of the monster they were created from, but destroys the item after 30 seconds. While active, this skill also causes Figaro's blood to burn inside his body, reducing his maximum HP by 1% every second.
- I Work Alone: He never team up with anyone, even when the odds are stacking against him. Justified as he is strong enough to solo against anything that is thrown against him which including UBM.
- Also, he tends to actually perform worse when in a group due to a psychological block. He can't cooperate with others as a result.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: His Gladiator jobs have decent all-around stats in all areas except MP and LUC, and Arms Selector allows him to pull out specialized powers for any situation.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: His solution to free Ray after he's been kidnapped by the Lunar Society is to basically kill every Master there.
- Not Disabled In VR: His heart condition would prevent him from so much as running in real life, but in Infinite Dendrogram he's easily one of the best players.
- Rainbow Pimp Gear: Given that his equipment was selected mainly for providing a wide variety of effects for use with Arms Selector, it's noted that his overall look is rather weird.
- Soap Opera Disease: In real life he has a heart condition that makes it impossible for him to do any physical activity as the exertion could possibly kill him. His Embryo taking the form of a heart is likely because of this.
- The Promise: Made one with Foltesla that they would duel again. However, due Foltesla losing his Tian spouse to Gloria and quitting the game, it wouldn't be fulfilled. So he opted to take out Gloria to keep it.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: His proposal to Hannya in Volume 12. Not many people would be willing to go after a berserker Superior currently a jealous rage, sacrifice an arm and taking several wounds to give her flowers and a ring.
- World's Best Warrior: Stands at the top of the duel rankings for the country of Altar, which also unlocked the quest for his "Over Gladiator" Superior Job.
Main Job: High Priestess (Sub Jobs: Bishop, Priestess)
Embyro: Kaguya (Type: Maiden with Invasion World)
One of the Superiors of Altar and leader of its largest clan, the Lunar Society... which is also a notorious real-world cult. After experiencing Dendro she instantly recognised it as far more than a mere game, spreading word to her followers that it was the "land of the soul" which they had been seeking. Since the establishment of their Altar branch, she has added even tians to her flock, and seeks to have the Society established as the official state religion.
Tsukuyo taking an interest in Ray leads to the initial events of Volume 6. She later turns out to attend the same college as him and is the head of the CID club.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Her usual gimmick of having someone join the Lunar Society or get what she wants is to give them offers with severe conditions and wait until they have no choice but to accept.
- For example, after the last war she offered to have all the surviving knights who were injured healed on the condition that any member of the Lunar Society could get a recommendation to become Paladins. Given that the only other options were to let them die or become disabled, the First Princess had no choice but to comply.
- For another, in Volume 11, its revealed she was willing to throw herself and her cult against Gloria on the condition that the King sign a Contract that would give them permission to do just about anything they wanted so long as it didn't constitute a crime. And if the King didn't they would let the kingdom be wiped out, while any attempt to force them would be met with terrorism. Did she also mention she had agents ready to act on that last part before they even had the discussion?
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: She couldn't beat Gloria entirely even with the strongest members of the Lunar Society, but she still managed to take out its Two-Horned Head that produced the [Fatal Field] using Ulfaria Eltram. However, doing so reduced every one of her Job Levels to 0, meaning she would have to manually level back to her former total level of 1026 in exchange of doing around 6,000,000 points of damage. Note that Gloria was easily one of the strongest SUBMs in existence and it took this and her Embryo reducing its HP to 1/6th.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Gets her entire waist and below cut off during the battle against Gloria. It doesn't kill her outright as she's capable of healing such an injury, provided her head was still intact, but she doesn't even bother, as by that point she's used her Ultimate Skill to kill its second head.
- Hidden Depths: While she's introduced as, well, a cult leader, she becomes more sympathetic with the reveal that she comes from a family of doctors, who founded the Lunar Society to bring hope to terminally ill patients.
- Humanoid Abomination: Not literally, but Ray is unnerved/annoyed enough by Tsukuyo that he mentally refers to her as "Miss Eldritch".
- "Instant Death" Radius: Her MVP reward for killing Gloria's second head allowed her to produce a weaker version of [Fatal Field], which will kill any humanoid under Level 100. Combined with her Lunar Field Divider to reduce the levels of enemy Masters, she can instantly kill even Superiors who don't have enough levels.
- Pet the Dog: She heals Rizer free of charge and without tacking on any kind of debt. This is notable because she'd normally never pass up the chance to have a Ranker indebted to her. It's later explained that she makes an exception for the Babylonian Battlegroup due to withholding the Lunar Society from going after Gloria to begin with for negotiation purposes, resulting in the destruction of their home city.
- No-Sell: Her MVP reward for killing Gloria's second head allowed her to produce a weaker version of [Fatal Field], rendering her immune to any attacks not from inside its radius.
- White Mage: Kaguya's jobs are all within the Priest grouping. Her Superior Job is High Priestess, which is achieved by having 500 levels in jobs only from the Priest grouping, and to also have the recommendation of 1,000 individuals whose main jobs are similarly from the Priest grouping. It is also a pure support job with low stats in all attributes except MP.
- White Magic: Appropriate for someone who is a High Priestess. She's actually the best healer in the kingdom by far.
- ''Ulfaria Eltram '' is the final mystery of the High Priestess. It is a skill that creates an orb of light that converts all the user's job levels into damage, with 1 level equal to 3000 points of damage. The orb can also automatically track the target once it is designated and will move at a speed equal to the target's speed plus the speed of the orb itself, which is determined by the amount of SP and MP the user selects. It is one of the very few Ancient Spells still remaining in the work, where the chant was already predetermined.
- Mercy of the Holy is a recovery magic that can instantly regenerate dismembered limbs.
- Holy Zone Horizon is an active skill that completely negates disease and curse-based debuffs within a certain area.
- Weird Moon: When transformed into her Invasion World form, the surrounding area turns into night with a blue moon hovering in the sky. She can also 'see' from the perspective of said moon in the sky.
- Lunar Reduction Field: Kaguya's active skill, from which Tsukuyo gained her nickname. It can divide any factors that Tsukuyo finds 'unfavorable' within the area of effect by 6 for all beings she designates as a target. This would include HP, total level, damage, heart rate, body temperature. However, this ability becomes less effective against high-leveled targets.
- Lunar Reduction Field - Twilight is a skill that focuses the effect of Lunar Reduction Field onto a single factor, and can even affect opponents up to a SUBM level.
- Garment of Sleeping Light a skill that compresses the entire area of effect of the Lunar Reduction Field into a black garment worn by Tsukuyo.
- Return to a Life Most Rightful, Kaguya is her ultimate skill which can only be activated at night. The effect is specialized for use against Masters. The only person known to have survived this skill is Shu Starling.
Main Job: Shield Giant (Sub Jobs: Armor Giant)
Embyro: Great Canopy, Atlas (Type: Territory)
A member of Ray's CID club in college who joins him in a quest during Volume 7. A serious and analytical person, she hides a darker side. In truth she is a former P Ker and the Guild Leader of Mad Castle, having disbanded the guild after their loss to Figaro in Volume 1. Since then, she has refined her build.
- Alliterative Name: A name composed of three parts, all starting with B, so, B3, a.k.a. Barbaroy Bad Burn.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Her shtick. She analyzes the situation in a battle before putting herself into it, allowing her to make calculated attacks.
- Beehive Barrier: Thousand Shutter is a skill that creates a barrier that negates all attacks that deal less than 1000 points of damage. It can be used to cover an area around the caster as well.
- Blood Knight: Once she gets going in battle, she gets excited. That's why she always wears her helmet when getting into her PK mode.
- Discard and Draw: She lost her Commander Job when she disbanded Mad Castle, but gained the Shield Giant Job instead.
- Foreshadowing: There's heavy hints that she's the former leader of Mad Castle early on.
- When Ray brings up Figaro, she becomes rather upset.
- She makes extensive use of Contract Items.
- She knows plenty of the tactics and behavior patterns of PK Guilds.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: Averted with her Barbaroy Bad Burn armor. It's massive compared to her, but her Armour Adjuster passive skill fills the inside of the user's equipped armor with a field similar to viscous air that allows them to move freely even in armor far larger than themselves.
- Gravity Master: A variation through her Embryo:
- Heaven's Weight creates a boundary that increases the force of gravity for everything within its range, based on the distance from her. It also applies the "Binding" debuff to targets within range. Within 2 meters, gravity is increased 500x. Compression of the effective area can increase further to the maximum of 5000 times.
- Anti-Gravity, which can reduce the effect of gravity on Barbaroy and her equipment. She uses this to increase the range of her Flying Shield.
- Only Sane Man: Of the entire Club Infinite Dendrogram(CID), she seems to be the only one thinking like a normal person. Lampshaded by Reiji while he was trapped in the den of the CID club room.Reiji: She is. My GOD, she's actually Normal.
- Player Killing: She used to be the notorious leader of Mad Castle before being killed by Figaro. She still enjoys it, but has since been focusing instead on developing her solo-builds.
- Power at a Price: A lot of her abilities require sacrificing one stat or item to enact.
- Fatal Defender is a skill used by sacrificing an equipped shield, in exchange for instantly increasing their defense.
- Astro Guard is a skill that multiplies the user's defense by 5x, but renders them immobile.
- Stronghold Pressure, a skill that converts the user's defense stat to another stat. She often uses it to increase her offense stat for a fatal blow.
- Stone Wall: Her jobs, Shield Giant and Full Armor Giant are focused on END, shields, and armor. To that end, they possess skills that utilize her massive defensive stat.
- Throwing Your Shield Always Works: Flying Shield, a skill that allows her to throw a shield.
- 24-Hour Armor: Back when she was the leader of Mad Castle, she never took off her armor. This gets exploited in Volume 7 when an impostor pretends to be her.
Main Job: Fallen Knight (Sub Jobs: Dark Knight, Knight, Dead Soldier)
Embryo: Soaring Black Wings, Hraesvelgr (Type: Fusion Arms)
Voiced by: Yuuki Kuwahara (Japanese), Laura Faverty (English)
#4 in Altar's Duel Rankings, and a 14-year-old middle school student in real life. Main character of the manga Spin-Off Crow Record: Infinite Dendrogram Another.
- Battle Ballgown: Her usual outfit is a gothic lolita dress with a breastplate.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: She manages to nearly defeat Crono Crown, who had been able to kill several Rankers in Volume 13 faster than they could react and happens to be the avatar of the Time Master Control AI, Rabbit. While she couldn't finish the job, she did manage to curse him and forced him to cheat in order to escape.
- Cast from Hit Points: Many of her Fallen Knight skills require expending HP to use.
- Chuunibyou: A major case, known to select jobs and items just because they sound edgy. To be fair, she actually is a middle-school student.
- Curse: Her Dark Knight job, as well as its Superior counterpart Fallen Knight, have abilities related to cursing opponents and gaining increased power from cursed weapons. That includes the ability to curse them from re-equipping items like a Life-Saving Brooch.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Has a collection of lolita dresses both in real life and in-game.
- Four Is Death: Deliberately stays at the #4 spot in the duel rankings for the added mystique. One of her rivals, Red Spider Lily Shion, has similarly laid claim to #13.
- Last Chance Hit Point: Last Command from the Dead Soldier class allows her to keep moving even if her hit points are reduced to zero for a limited amount of time. While this is useless in duels due to the mechanics, it allowed her to force Crono Crown to retreat and slapped him with a debuff when no one else managed to harm him beforehand.
- Mystical White Hair: Invoked - she gave her avatar white hair to appear more mystical.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her avatar has red eyes. Amusingly, she originally created it with heterochromia (one red eye and one blue), but this kept tipping people off to the attack powers of her magic contact lenses, so she replaced one of the transparent lenses with a red one.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Ray has no trouble understanding her chuuni Purple Prose rants, but Rook is completely baffled.
- Wing Pull: Her Embryo gives her a pair of raven wings which allow her to fly at high speeds, and can attack with wind and darkness magic. However, its high MP consumption means that she can't use it for long periods of time.
Main Job: The Unsheath (Sub Jobs: ?)
Embryo: Variable Sword, Inaba (Type: Rule Arms)
- Almighty Janitor: It's widely acknowledged that Kashimiya's skill as a duelist surpasses Tom Cat, but his rank is lower because his specialisation in Single Stroke Battles makes him unable to kill all of the Octachrome Cat's bodies before they respawn. That is, until he develops "Octachrome Thunder", a technique created specifically to defeat Tom.
- BFS: Generally carries a pair of nodachi on his back, with his small stature making them stand out all the more. He needs the assistance of his Embyro (a pair of chains which act as additional limbs) just to draw them properly.
- Blood Knight: Participates in duels and PKing simply because he enjoys fighting strong opponents.
- Cute Bruiser: Young enough that he requires his Embryo's assistance just to draw his weapon properly, but is one of the strongest people in Altar.
- Fastest Thing Alive: Known as the fastest Master in the Kingdom, though he can only use it in short bursts.
- Flash Step: Inaba's skill "Hareshark Nullstep"note summons Instant Runes which effectively grant him the ability to wavedash, sliding around at his normal speed without moving his limbs and while ignoring the effects of friction. This allows him to extend the 100x AGI multiplier while using Godlike Unsheathing to his movement speed as well, letting him close in on opponents and decapitate them before they can tell what's happening.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: The focus of his Superior job, "The Unsheath", whose Godlike Unsheathing passive grants him 100 times his normal AGI while unsheathing his sword. This is combined with Blade Speed-Through, a skill from Samurai-group jobs which lowers his opponent's END by an amount proportionate to his AGI whenever his attack takes them by surprise.
- In-Universe Nickname: "Guillotine", "The Kingdom's Fastest" and "Vorpal Rabbit".
Main Job: The Lynx (Sub Jobs: ?)
Embryo: Grimalkin (Type: Legion)
- Beef Gate: As he's exactly level 500, with a Superior Job but only a Rank VI Embryo, it's widely believed that he was placed in the Duel Rankings as a barrier for Masters to overcome before they could claim first place.
- Cats Are Magic: His Embryo, Grimalkin, is named after a witch's Familiar. Likewise for his job The Lynx, which is written with the kanji for Nekogami (Cat God).
- Doppelgänger Attack: His Embryo's Ultimate Skill, "Octachrome Cat, Grimalkin", transforms it into seven duplicates of himself with all his abilities. Whenever a Tom dies it will simply respawn as a copy of the healthiest remaining body, making him impossible to defeat unless all eight are killed at the same time.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Does this to Figaro (the only duelist who'd surpassed him at the time) in a Flash Back in book 11, convincing him not to back down from fighting Gloria. Notably, this was in defiance of his orders to awaken more Superior Embryos by letting only non-Superiors fight Gloria.
- Julius Beethoven da Vinci: There is no Superior Job called "The Lynx". Every holder of that job in recorded history was another alias of Cheshire.
- Real Name as an Alias: "Grimalkin" is Cheshire's original name as an Embryo.
- Red Baron: Known as "Monster Cat Mansion" (Bakeneko Yashiki).
- Secret Identity: Is actually the 13th control AI, Cheshire.
Main Job: Giga Professor (Sub Jobs: Professor, Researcher)
Embyro: Magic Beast Factory, Pandemonium (Type: Plant Fortress)
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)
The newest Superior of Dryde and the leader of the Imperium's top clan, also known as the Triangle of Wisdom. He wasn't a Superior during the last war, but manged to kill the king of Altar. His Superior Job, Giga Professor, specializes in monster Research, while his Embryo specializes in Monster Production, allowing him to create monsters with unique properties. He is the primary antagonist of Volume 4, intent on showing the Tians that the Masters of Altar will not be able to help them in order to have the kingdom surrender and be assimilated.
- Arch-Enemy: Considers himself to be one to Ray.
- Blob Monster: He creates a Slime Monster made of Liquid Oxygen, which will melt anyone trapped inside, freeze those surrounding it, and if you use fire against it, it will ignite in a massive explosion. He takes the entire of Gideon hostage with the threat of detonating several over the city in an hour if not stopped.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: While he is pretty evil, he does cares about Hugo and considers his feelings to adjust his plan accordingly. He makes sure to send Hugo off afterwards so that won't happen a second time.
- Evil Counterpart: Can be considered this to Shu, both are Superiors who hide their presence in weird animal costumes and are both older siblings to individuals with Maiden Embryos and are on opposite sides.
- Evil Is Petty:
- His entire reason for Plan A? He hates Ray for defeating him by proxy when he tried killing Liliana using her sister as bait.
- He was killed once by a Player, for his general actions during the war. The moment he respawned in, he spent a month killing that same player over and over until they finally quit playing.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He admits he is fully aware that Tians (NPCs) in Infinite Dendrogram are sapient, yet he has little qualms going through with his genocidal plan, which would kill thousands of Tians in the process.
- G.I.R.L.: Though here it should be read as "Girl In Real Life" - the player behind Franklin is a French woman named Francesca.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Due to the carnage he caused, Ray managed to amass a ton of Grudges to power up his greaves.
- It's Personal: Hates Ray because he botched his plan to assassinate Liliana on his very first day. So much so he specifically created a monster just to kill him based on everything he knew about Ray.
- The Kingslayer: He's the one who killed the former King of Altar in the last war.
- Maker of Monsters:
- His Embryo Pandemonium gives him the ability to create monsters tailored to his exact specifications. This includes programming them with orders which persist even if freed (allowing him to "control" massive armies far in excess of his normal minion capacity), and giving them abilities custom-designed to counter certain threats.
- More tangentially, his skills also extend to designing new models of Magingear for Dryfe's pilots.
- They Call Me MISTER Tibbs!: Yes, "Mister" is part of his character's name.
- Trap Master: How he manages to keep most of the Masters in Gideon in check and keep the stronger Superiors unable to intervene, by weaponinzing the Time Dilation barrier in the arena.
- Troll: He is unsurprisingly a huge one. When Hell General Logan loses to Ray, the first thing that Franklin does is to send a message that says: Not so hot now are ya, Your Excellency? (GIT REKT. L M A O). He then follows it up by uploading the video of his loss against Ray.
- Switch-Out Move: Castling, a short-ranged teleportation move that allows one person to switch with a monster. In his case, he can even use it to switch with a third party.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: Already a wanted player, but he also exploits this by using second princess Elizabeth S. Altar as a hostage and that any player who attacks gets regarded as a criminal to the Kingdom of Altar for killing the second princess.
- Weak, but Skilled: His stats are shockingly low for a Superior, but his monsters can do almost anything if he plans far enough ahead, and if someone wrongs him he is very good at using them to ruin that person's life. This is why he's known as "The Weakest and The Worst".
- Weapon of X-Slaying: Capable of creating monsters designed to counter specific opponents. For instance, the RSK (Ray Starling Killer) has a hard shell resistant to Ray's fire, light and poison attacks... and its interior is filled with short-lived spawn that attack with Eye Beams and then die before Ray can Counter-Attack them.
Main Job: High Pilot (Sub Jobs: Pilot, Mechanic)
Embyro: Maiden of Ice, Cocytus (Type: Maiden with Advance)
Voiced by: Ayumu Murase (Japanese), Clifford Chapin, Madeleine Morris (Yuri) (English)
- Ace Custom: His Marshall II is a custom-made, specially tuned for him, with a cost of around 20,000,000 lir.
- Ace Pilot: His jobs revolve around the operation, repair and enhancement of vehicles.
- Big Brother Worship: Has adored Franklin ever since they were kids. As Rook points out, this is also the source of Yuri's Moral Myopia regarding her sister's character.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Downplayed. Hugo acts like a showy Knight in Shining Armor, but in reality he's roleplaying; the real person is kindhearted, but The Stoic and can become outright ruthless at times if he feels he needs to protect people.
- Crippling Overspecialization: His Pilot jobs specialise in MP at the expense of all other stats, letting him operate a Magingear more efficiently but leaving him very weak outside the cockpit.
- Cross Player: Hugo's player, Yuri, is a woman.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His childhood was not a happy one.
- Even Evil Can Be Loved: Even after learning that Franklin is beyond redemption, Hugo still decides face down Ray to protect him.
- Foil: To Ray Starling in some aspects
- Both have older siblings whom they looked up to but Hugo got betrayed by Franklin while Ray has a more loyal older brother.
- Both have Maiden Embryos who are coincidentally the same height and have contrasting colors and personalities.
- Hugo is willing to sacrifice a small amount of tiens to bring peace, while Ray protects tians and will not go to Hugo's level.
- Hugo is less noble and wears white, while Ray is more noble and wears black and red.
- Knight in Shining Armor: He is an idealistic man who dreams and thrives to become the knight who can protect the weak, especially women since she couldn't protect her mother and sister in real life.
- Gratuitous French: Peppers his words with French.
- Morality Chain: What he is to Franklin, who goes out of his way to tone down the brutality in his plan just to appease him. This effectually put a brake on Franklin's scheme.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He believes the terrorist attack in Gideon could prevent the 2nd Kingdom/Imperium war from happening, even it causes a lot of strife in the process.
- An Ice Person: Her abilities are centered around ice as she takes the form of ice armor that covers whatever device Hugo is riding.
- La Porte D'Enfer: This skill applies the Frozen debuff to everyone within a certain range every 13 seconds, with "X"% chance of success, where "X" is the number of beings that the target has previously killed that are the same race as the target. The debuff applied from this skill cannot be negated by normal Frozen debuff resistance and it ignores temperature. The length of time the target is frozen depends on the value of X. For example, a Master's % will be determined by the number of Masters he's killed, including those in the Arena. For most of the stronger Masters in Gideon, that makes it nearly 100%.
- Purgatory Flash: Cocytus takes all the heat absorbed by La Porte D'Enfer and transforms it to blade of heat energy for direct combat
- La Porte D'Enfer Duexieme: This skill applies the Freezing debuff to X% of a target's body, where X is the damage Hugo or his vehicle has taken from a target multiplied by the number of beings from the same race the target has killed divided by the target's HP. The debuff cannot be negated by Frozen debuff resistance like the original skill. Damage received also takes account damage negated by items or skills. She received this ability after evolving to her fourth form and after Hugo received the MFGX-02 White Rose from Mr. Franklin, so the ability is predicated on being used from this Magingear. Cocytus and Hugo note that the ability is influenced by their encounters with Ray Starling and Nemesis.
- Human Disguise: Capable of manifesting a fake crest on her hand to disguise herself as a Master.
Main Job: Hell General (Sub Jobs: ?)
Embyro: False Finesse, Rumpelstilskin (Type: Another Rule)
The Duel Champion and a Superior of Dryde, who killed Liliana's father during the last war. He is the primary antagonist of Volume 9, intent on laying waste to the town of Quartierlatin near the ruins in order to fulfill a quest.
- Crippling Overspecialization: He's so overspecialized in summoning that he can't actually fight to defend himself. Because of that Ray and the King of Thieves best him once they managed to get around his devils. Ray even notes the only reason Liliana's father didn't defeat him in the war was because he had to carve through so many.
- Summon Magic: His entire gimmick is that he can summon a massive amount of devils to fight for him.
- Humiliation Conga: All of Volume 9 and Volume 10. He gets his Lifesaving Brooch and 3/4s of his army wiped out by Veldorbell (who he only bested because he'd taken a hostage despite the man using a Support Class), gets killed by Ray and given the Death Penalty (which Franklin immediately put online so the world knows), gets his strongest summoning and himself killed by Franklin's new monster as a test subject, and then gets his status as a Duel Champion taken by the King of Thieves, who killed him before he could cast a single spell.
- Kids Are Cruel: Would you believe someone who would needlessly slaughter a town of helpless civilians, take a little girl hostage to use as a gamble, and attempt to have an entire orphanage burned down and the children Eaten Alive while their protector was Forced to Watch is an 10-year old elementary schooler?
- Keystone Army: His entire force vanishes when he gets killed.
- Not a Game: Averted hard. He's pretty much sees Infinite Dendrogram as nothing but a game, hence why he doesn't think twice about killing anyone he comes across for EXP and committing the most monstrous acts.
- Sore Loser: Big time. Getting most of his army defeated by Veldorbell left him sore enough he intended to drag out killing children so the man who could his protectorates die horribly, and getting defeated three times in a row is enough to basically leave him ready to quit the game entirely, with only his last opponent offering to make a deal stopping him.
- Younger Than They Look: He's a 10 year old grade schooler.
Main Job: King of Orchestras (Sub Jobs: Conductor)
Embyro: Four Musical Beasts, Bremen (Type: Legion)
The strongest fighter in the Triangle of Wisdom and a Superior of Dryde, he's recruited into Franklin's Game in order to take care or any Wild Card Masters who escaped the initial trap. After being defeated by Marie, and the events of Volume 5, he leaves and becomes a Wandering Minstrel and ally to the defenders of Quartierlatin. His Embryo is a Legion-type, based on the motif of "The Town Musicians of Bremen".
- Brown Note: His gimmick.
- Bystander Syndrome: Averted. He could have stood by and let the Hell General attack the orphanage in Volume 9, but the one thing he refused to do was do nothing.
- Driven to Suicide: One of his Embryo's abilities, when used as part of its Ultimate Skill, can make those who hear its song kill themselves. It also ignores all resistances when used as an Ultimate Skill, so if you can hear it you will die. The only person who was exempt from this was the Superior Killer, because she blew the atmosphere away with her Superior Skill, rendering it impossible for the sound to reach her.
- Enemy-Detecting Radar: His Sound Search has his Legion search for enemies using sound as a sonar, bouncing back if they have a physical presence.
- Forced to Watch: As punishment for his attempted heroics in Volume 9, the Hell General was going to feed the orphans he was protecting to his devils one at a time while he couldn't do anything. Fortunately, Ray arrived and put a stop to that.
- Friendly Fireproof: Averted. His Heartbeat Palpitation doesn't distinguish between allies or enemies, meaning he has no choice but to cancel it when the Hell General throws a hostage into the radius or it'd kill her. This left him open for a fatal blow.
- The Hero: He's on a quest to find one so he can fulfill his dream of writing an opera about one.
- Heroic Sacrifice: His attempt to stop the Hell General in Volume 9 fails, but he manages to take out three-fourths of the man's army of 2000 devils, destroyed his Lifesaving Brooch, and his final attack served as a signal for Ray to come in and finish the job of protecting the orphanage.
- "Instant Death" Radius: His Heartbeat Palpitation is a field of sonic vibrations surrounding him that shakes the air so violently that it reduces even stone to dust. And using his Ultimate Skill can increase the area to cover Kilometers. The only person who managed to survive it was Marie, who had to use her Ultimate Skill, which is a technique that allowed her to essentially be unaffected or affect reality.
- Musical Assassin: His Superior Job, King of Orchestras, allows him to be arguably the strongest musical assassin because while it is a support class it boosts the power of sound-based attacks and Magic Music to levels strong enough to rival even top-class Masters.
- Punch-Clock Villain: He only helped Franklin's Game because he was a member of the guild and he thought Franklin could become a hero or the game would give rise to one. The next time we see him, he's left the guild and become a simple wandering musician still on his quest.
- Razor Wind: One of his Embryo's ability is an ultrasonic soundwave that strikes like a sharpened blade while giving this effect.
- Reduced Mana Cost: His Superior Job reduces the cost of using his abilities, which would make keeping up his more extensive abilities much more difficult.
- Sonic Stunner: One of his Embryo's abilities consists of a using high-volume sounds at a frequency too low for humans to hear, leaving them stunned and helpless.
- Status Buff: His Superior Job has the Orchestral King's Conducting passive skill, which greatly raises the power of musical abilities, including his Embryo's Ultimate Skill to devastating levels. He not only managed to nearly level a district of Gideon, but he managed to wipe out more than 1500 of the Hell General's devils at once and would have killed him if not for a Lifesaving Brooch.
- Support Party Member:His Job Class as a Conductor is meant for conducting orchestras and thus boosting the powers of party member's musical skill, making him a support job for a support job. His Superior Job and Embryo mitigate this.
- Not the Intended Use: No musician jobs are battle-oriented, meaning that they exist mostly to apply buffs to allies and debuffs to enemies. Yet, he stands as a Superior whose abilities managed to put the Superior Killer on the defensive and fight back other Superiors.
- Wandering Minstrel: Following his defeat by the Superior Killer, he leaves Franklin's guild and takes on this occupation.
Huang He Empire
Embyro: Starsky Reacher, Tenaga Ashinaga (Type: Arms)
Voiced by: Nao Tōyama (Japanese), Rachael Messer (English)
A Superior who travels to Altar to duel Figaro.
- Chinese Vampire: Her Jiangshi job transforms the user into an undead. She also has the Superior version, Master Jiangshi.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Her avatar is an undead with a threatening appearance and is one of the most decent players when you get to know her.
- Extendable Arms: Her primary means of attack.
- Face of a Thug: Her avatar has a creepy face obscured by a fu; when she appears in front of Ray holding an unconscious Lan, he immediately mistakes her for a kidnapper.
- Lean and Mean: Extremely tall and intimidating.
- Undying Loyalty: She is devoted in protecting Prince Canglong Ren Yue.
- Younger Than They Look: She's actually a 9 year old girl in real life.
Voiced by: Aoi Yūki (Japanese), Megan Shipman (English)
- Crash-Into Hello: How she met Ray. Unlike normal examples, she nearly killed him by accident when she crashed into him due to the difference in their abilities.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father was killed in the war six months prior to Ray's arrival, due to the majority of Masters in Altar not participating as the King couldn't promise them rewards.
- Healing Hands: As a paladin she's capable of healing others, as demonstrated when she healed Ray upon meeting him.
- Holy Hand Grenade: She also possesses Purifying Silverlight, though unlike Ray she had to reset every every level other than Paladin to learn it and then level them all back up.
- Secret Keeper: One of the few people prior to Volume 5 who knows that Shu is the King of Destruction.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Shu. She dislikes him for choosing not to get involved in the War when he's one of the strongest players around.
- Cool Mask: She sports one to hide her identity when traveling.
- Cutting Through Energy: One of the abilities of her sword.
- Holy Hand Grenade: She has access to light-based skills, such as Laser Blade.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: With her sword, she once managed to cut the kinetic energy of a falling object with enough force to level a town.
- Infinity +1 Sword: "The Primeval Sword, Altar" is the most powerful weapon in Infinite Dendrogram, classified by Jabberwocky as an Irregular UBM in its own right.
- Intimate Healing: Narrowly averted. She was getting ready to give Ray an Elixir via mouth-to-mouth, but he woke up.
- Living Lie Detector: She has the Truth Discernment skill.
- Master Swordsman: The best in Altar.
- Never Say That Again: She hates Tsukuyo so much that hearing her name leaves her scarily angry and she warns Ray never to speak of her again.Azurite: Do not mention that parasite in my presence.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Was born with the "Sacred Princess" Superior job, making her the first member of the royal family in generations who can wield their Ancestral Weapon.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She goes out to investigate the ruins herself and takes to killing one-half of a pre-ancient civilization weapon that was on-par with a Mythical UBM on her own.
- Willfully Weak: Normally uses Swordmaster as her main job. When she switches to Sacred Princess, her stats are multiplied by 10.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: Any damage done by her sword will not heal because it literally rewrites the origin of the person so that being wounded is normal.
- Worf Had the Flu: Literally. The only reason she didn't get involved with Franklin's Game was because she caught the epidemic going around at the time, which was why, in her capacity as the First Princess, she couldn't make the trip.
Title: Tri-Horn Dragon
Owner: Rook Holmes
A Tri-Horn Demi-Dragon that Rook received as a reward for completing a Level 8 Quest for the Pimp Guild, she serves as his main method of travel over the land.
Title: Crimsom Roc Bird
Owner: Rook Holmes
A large bird that was once the mount of the Great Miasmic Demon, Gardandra, she was charmed after her former master was killed and thus became Rook's new minion instead.
- Delinquents: Audrey's personality is far more aggressive and uncivil. Because of this she constantly clashes with Marilyn.
- Giant Flyer: She's a larger bird of prey easily capable of handling a creature as massive as Gardandra.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Named after Audrey Hepburn.
- Playing with Fire: It can breathe fire.
Title: Mythril Arms Slime
Owner: Rook Holmes
A Mithril Arms Slime that Rook felt a connection to in Gideon, he decided to tame it despite the fact that no one had managed to tame the species as of yet.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Or other types of equipment really.
- Hyper-Awareness: A Mithril Arms Slime's alert state. In it they become incredibly aggressive to anything near them, even when in a tamable state.
- Metal Slime: A variant of one, being a Mithril Slime.
- The Symbiote: Bonds with Rook and being his coat.
Summoner: Ray Starling
The unborn daughter of the Great Miasmic Demon, Gardandra, which was meant to serve as a maternal form before bringing born into the world. Before her birth, the demon was defeated by Ray Starling and her concept became a part of the special reward item. He became able to summon her later on upon defeating a third UBM in Volume 9.
- Deadly Gas: Hellish Miasma, a skill that releases a miasma from her right hand that gives the debuffs of Poison, Weakness, and Intoxication.
- Hellish Palm, a skill that compresses the Hellish Miasma so that the debuff can affect high-level opponents.
- Zero Type-Hellish Miasma, a skill that releases a concentrated miasma from her right hand that can melt a person's organs. However, once used, this skill requires a cooldown.
- Hellfire: Purgatory Flame, a skill that fires a flame from her left hand.
- Purgatory Fist, is a skill where Purgatory Flame covers her fist and she attacks with it.
- Zero Type-Purgatory Flame, a skill where an extremely powerful burst of flame comparable to a skill used by a magic-based Superior Job. However once used, this skill will burn her hand, requiring a cooldown.
- Playing with Fire: One of her specialties inherited from her mother.
- Power at a Price: In order to summon her, Rey must pay one thousand MP for every second she is manifested, and when the time is up, Rey is hit with one of three random side effects (an incurable Poison, Weakness, and Intoxication debuff, being on fire, or loss of control of his body) that lasts thrice the amount of time that she was summoned.
- Older Than They Look: Aside from one particular entity, she's the oldest of the A.I.s. She looks like a teenager.
- Shipper on Deck: For Figaro and Hannya.
- The Strategist: She was the one who gave the twins the plan for setting off Hannya. Thus setting the stage for Figaro's proposal.
- Super Supremacist: She openly acknowledges herself as a Master Supremacist and considers whatever happens to Tians is beneath her when Cheshire calls her out on her plan for Figaro's proposal. This is why she had no trouble killing the pre-ancient civilizations as the incarnation of Blasphemy.
- People Puppets: As the one who creates the Avatars of the Master's and A.I.s, she can control them as she pleases. Thus she stops Cheshire from using his Tom Cat avatar to interfere with Hannya's rampage. Though she explains its because she didn't want to interfere with his proposal.
- Been There, Shaped History: Like the others, she's been around since the pre-ancient civilization when the Masters of that time were called "Synchronizers".
- Because It Amused Me: She does whatever catches her whim, which happens to be things that will either annoy or spur Shu into action. Including timing the release of Gloria so that Shu would only arrive when it had already cost several lives.
- Bubble Boy: Her appearance is a young woman wrapped up in a protective film-like layer shaped like an egg.
- Exposition Fairy: Back before there were a lot of Masters, she filled in this role and did so with Shu.
- Was Once a Man: In Volume 11, its revealed Humpty Dumpty was was an Embryo that reached Infinity, becoming the Infinite Embryo of the Type Infinite Body.
- Tsundere: Gets called out by Dormouse on how she likes to tease the boy she likes, Shu.
- Creepy Twins: The avatars it chooses is a boy and girl set of twins. They have no emotions despite knowing that their plan would affect the player's real lives.
- Everyone Has Standards: Even though they acknowledge that their plan might cause problems for the players in real life and wipe Gideon off the map, they take offense to be compared to Bandersnatch. In their own words, he takes it too far.
- Mechanical Evolution: T Hey were originally an Embryo Type: Calculator, making them more mechanical to begin with before they evolved into Infinity.
- Pet the Dog: The one being that can get emotion out of them was their Master, who had long since died.
- War Is Glorious: Their thoughts and motivation for their behavior. War and conflict increase the chance of an Embryo becoming a Superior.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: Abuses the fact that his avatar isn't restricted to the same requirements as the players to escape Juliet's final attack.
- Loophole Abuse: When he gets called out about attacking the Altarian Masters by No.0, he points out part of his job is attacking Embryos who are sixth level to promote their growth. He just so happened to target those particular Masters who were taking the bodyguard job in order to weaken the delegation.
- Prevent the War: His goal during Volume 13.
- Time Master: As the AI that controls Time.
- War Is Hell: His opinion of the coming conflict between Dryfe and Altar. Not for the casualties, but because the War Boundary strains his resources so much that he can't use an avatar and loses higher thought function. He'd rather the merger happen peacefully to avoid that.
- Been There, Shaped History: He's been involved in numerous conflicts as far as the pre-ancient civilization.
- Exposition Fairy: His main job is to teach new players how the world works.
- I Have Many Names: Cheshire is only his name as an AI control unit. When he was an Embryo, it was Infinite Multiplication, Grimalkin.
- Me's a Crowd: Can make multiple copies of itself. That limitation is limited when he's in his Tom Avatar, but once unchained as the Incarnation of Beasts he can make enough to essentially bring down an entire ancient civilization.
- Token Good Teammate: Compared to Jabberwock and the twins.
- Was Once a Man: In Volume 9, its revealed that Cheshire was originally an Embryo that managed to evolve beyond 7th and into Infinity.
A gang of bandits centered around the Cruella mountains near the Coliseum City of Gideon, in the last year they've been kidnapping, ransoming, and killing children while all attempts to stop them have failed so far because of their leaders. They serve as the central antagonists of Volume 2.
An Ox-Headed Demi-human who served as one of the two leaders in the gang, he acts as the right-hand of Maise and enjoys devouring the flesh of men and children.
- A Load of Bull: As a Ox-Head Demi-Human.
- The Brute: The muscle of the gang, a maxed-out Job level Strong-Gladiator. He's strong enough that he utterly wrecks Hugo's machine in a single charge, and its speculated if Figaro didn't exist he would have the Superior Job title.
- Child Eater: He loves eating children, especially when they're scared.
- Decapitation Presentation: His frozen, decapitated head was left on the gate by Hugo.
- The Dragon: Acts as Maise's enforcer and takes pleasure in doing his job.
- Hate Sink: There's nothing redeemable about him or his partner.
- Kill It with Ice: How Hugo eventually deals with him.
A Centaur Lich who served as one of the two leaders in the gang, he acts as the leader of the operation and used the lives of hundreds, if not thousands of children in an attempt to become Superior.
- Asshole Victim: While this apply to most of his gang, he is the only leader who suffers a more undignified death compared to his partner.
- Crippling Overspecialization: As a Necromancer he specialized in debuffs and undeads, not in itself a weakness as he's killed hundreds of adventurers with ease. However, against Ray who has a means of dealing with both and a method to stop him from recovering, he's utterly helpless and can only run.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: He considers Masters to be abominations yet, when Ray is down, he insists on taunting him by threatening to kill the children he came to save and mentioning he'd made hundreds of undead children.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He couldn't understand why Ray, a Master, was so intent on chasing him down to kill him. He even thought he could bribe him when Ray made it perfectly clear he was going to end his life.
- Faking the Dead: He has a spell, Corpsification to make himself look like nothing more than a pile of bones. He can easily put himself back together.
- Healing Factor: As a Lich, he can recover from most damage taken within moments. Purifying Silverlight explicitly stops this, so anything that gets cut off or damage turns to dust.
- Human Resources: He literally disposes of the children he can't ransom anymore based on whether or not they could be usable materials in his necromancy. If so, he will kill them via decapitation after torturing them to collect their grudge and misery. If not, he'll feed them to Gouz alive.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: He was already getting ready to leave the fortress because he expected that Gideon would send stronger Adventurers to deal with him. The moment he finds out Ray is basically immune to his spells, he tries to flee and then bribe him.
- Laser-Guided Karma: If he hadn't created so many undead children, Ray would have never unlocked Purifying Silverlight and been able to kill him due to the huge difference in their levels.
- Make Them Rot: Abyssal Delusion, which causes the enemy to rot alive and become a living corpse.
- Necromancer: His job, which he maxed out, and he's terrifying good at it.
- Not a Game: Why he hates Masters; since they can come back time and time again, he sees them as treating everything as a game and making light of the immortality that he covets.
- The Power of Hate: He collects the grudges of the dead to use with his spells.
- Our Liches Are Different: He managed to progress in his Job far enough to become a lich, meaning his inner organs were replaced with crystallized magic to carry out the normal functions and sustain him, but he doesn't possess a phylactery.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: His goal to become a Superior Necromancer (King of Corpses), requires that he basically converted hundreds of children into undead while having them die in anguish and pain.
- Visionary Villain: He wants to become a Superior to obtain the power to transcend death like Masters. Unlike most examples, he came close enough to doing it, if not for Ray.
Revenant Ox-Horse <Gouz-Maise>
A monstrosity born when the remnants of the Gouz-Maise gang ended up activating a dormant egg within Maise's inventory, it drew in their bodies and became a monster that feeds off grudges, existing to only kill the living as the various conciousness' within it acted on a consensus. It then became a new UBM.
- Body of Bodies: Its an ox-headed horse-man with countless dead faces on it, their tongues hanging out and mouths constantly screaming.
- Enemy to All Living Things: Its goal overall was to kill everything else since the grudges composing it were also dead, meaning if it wasn't stopped it would continue to attack any living person it came across, feed off their grudge, and then continue on endlessly.
- Healing Factor: Possess a powerful ability to heal due to the bodies that make up its body being technically still alive. While Purifying Silverlight can cause permanent damage, it can mitigate that by severing any damaged body part and then regrowing it from there.
- Horrifying the Horror: Ray terrifies it to the point where it begins blowing off parts of its own body and using enough power to destroy itself, all to try and kill him.
- The Power of Hate: Even more than before, it feeds off grudges in order to function and can use it to heal and attack.
- Undead Abomination: It is an undead monstrosity born by a series of unfortunate circumstances, starting with the location of the battle being a place where countless grudges were accumulated, all the components that make it up are people who don't have a shred of goodness in them, and all of the necessary components being in the same place. The circumstances were so unique that no other of its kind existed prior and it immediately became an UBM.
An millennia-old SUBM that once threatened the kingdom before the events of Infinite Dendrogram, only to be stopped by Tsukuyo, Figaro, Shu, and the King of Crimes. The overarching antagonist of Volume 11.
- Critical Status Buff: "Resurgence", the ability of its three-horned head, causes its stats to increase as it takes damage.
- Energy Weapon: "Overdrive", the Breath Weapon of its one-horned head, is a ray of light that moves at the same speed, vaporising anything in its path. The only way to survive is to move faster than its head can turn, which requires at least supersonic speed. It can also cause the beams to emerge from any wounds it takes, making it excel at killing groups.
- Expy: a nigh-unstoppable monster with three heads? A clear one to King Ghidorah
- The Greatest Story Never Told: As far as most people in Infinite Dendrogram know, Gloria had three heads that were defeated by Tsukuyo, Figaro, and Shu, not knowing that if the King of Crimes had not defeated the fourth head of Gloria elsewhere, thought to of been a tail that had been removed in an earlier assault, it would of been able to of regenerated the other three heads and continue its ranpage.
- Healing Factor: It has a passive healing factor that allows it to mend but not completely regenerate any damage it takes. With the exception of its tail, which can literally grow into an entirely new Gloria if left alone.
- Hybrid Power: On top of being a three-headed mutant, it inherited its Breath Weapon from its mother Light Dragon King Drag-Shine, and its Fatal Field from its father Death Dragon King Drag-Death. Both of these abilities were then further upgraded by Jabberwock.
- "Instant Death" Radius: Passively produces the [Fatal Field] from its two-horned head. Any living thing within 1km of it that is below Level 500 will die. It serves to basically gate off any Master who isn't above that level. The Field can be further enhanced to scale even higher, making it impossible for anyone short of a Superior to get close.
- Kaiju: A horrifically powerful giant monster which steadily marches towards Altar's capital. Even some of the other control AIs accuse Jabberwock of overkill for unleashing it, claiming that Gloria is "too perfect a monster" and none of the Masters will be able to defeat it. Queen even claims that its power rivals that of their own combat forms.
- Multiple Head Case: Has three heads, each with its own core that must be destroyed before it is defeated - a one-horn with three eyes, a two-horn with one, and a three-horn with two. Also a four-horn with no eyes, positioned as a tail.
- No-Sell: Any attack from outside its [Fatal Field] will fail so long as its active.
- Puzzle Boss: The entire first half of Volume 11 was working out the abilities of what Gloria could do, information provided by the Babylonian Battlegroup. Despite that, Gloria kept adapting and developing new skills that required the Superiors to adapt.
- Turns Red: One of its abilities, originally unknown to even the control AIs, is to modify or combine its existing skills to create new ones when in danger. These include:
- Zenith Dragon's Shining Field - Fang of Gloria: Shapes the effects of its Overdrive into full-body Elemental Armor that vaporises anything on contact.
- True Fatal Field: Applies the benefits of Resurgence to its Fatal Field, causing it to affect higher levels as it takes damage. At 50% health it cannot be fought by anything weaker than a Superior, and sufficient damage would likely cause its threshold to exceed the level Cap.
- Area Overdrive: Modifies its weakened Overdrive into a Beam Spam of thin lasers.
- Compressed Fatal Field: Shortens the range of its weakened Fatal Field to 50cm while its increasing its level limit to 1000.
- The Worf Barrage: Occurs multiple times before the King of Swords and his party discover its weakness - first shrugging off Drag-Volt's mountain-vaporising Breath Weapon, then withstanding barrages of powerful spells from a large number of tian spellcasters, followed by a Lost Technology gravity bomb.
- Worm Sign: The effects of its Fatal Field cause plants in its wake to rot and die.