Second-Age Heroes and Villains | Fourth-Age Heroes | Fourth-Age Villains (Tyrannos Pantheon, Children of Ispita, The Shadowed Ones, Tribalists, Autorists, Hydianites) | The Grand Primevals | Equestrian Pantheon | Breezie Pantheon | Diamond Dog Pantheon | Gremlin Pantheon | Bogolenya Pantheon (Belyolen, Temnobog, The Four Terrors) | Abyssinian Pantheon | Church of the Stars (Golden Scepter) | Poenan Pantheon | Hoyklan Pantheon | Elternteil Pantheon | Minotaur Pantheon | Jotunn Pantheon | Tauren Giant Pantheon | Draconic Pantheon | Shinseina Pantheon | Dharmadeshvar Pantheon | Zebrafrican Pantheon | Old Orosian Pantheon | Pramanthan Pantheon | Great Skunk Pantheon | Sauropodian Pantheon | Novellus Pantheon | Unaffiliated Deities | Principalities of Equestria (Canterlot, Ponyville) | Sunnytown | Grittish Isles | Crystal Empire | Luchalibre | Alvslog Deer Realms | Erobreseg Deer Realms | The Storm Empire | Terran Empire (Fanged Paw, Crimson Star, Steel Barricade, Written Word) | The Changeling Courts (Spring Court, Summer Court, Autumn Court, Winter Court) | Kulesian-Mazlander Commonwealth | The Cloven Empire | Hyrule | Machina | Neighpon | Imperium of Ponykind | Kerajaan Cahaya | Sauropoda | Meridia | Dragonflights | Giants | Mephitidia | Alicorn Civilization | The Visitors | Creatures and Monsters | Historical and Mythical Characters
open/close all folders
- Doomed Hometown: Subverted with the town of Hornbridge. Despite it coming under attack by tribalist factions such as the Scions of Hurricane and the Children of Platinum, who both wanted to "purge" the place of non-pegasi and non-unicorns, respectively, both Midnight Bell and Crystal Prism were able to protect their hometown and drive the tribalists away.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Judging by the name, the Grittish Isles is based off of Britain.
- Fantastic Racism: Implied, as Midnight Bell, an Earth pony filly, had been called "imposter unicorn" as an insult once people discovered that she transformed herself into a unicorn via a wish. Notably, the unicorn town of Hornbridge had been under attack by tribalist factions twice, both by the Scions of Hurricane who wanted to purge the unicorn and Earth pony residents to make the town purely for pegasus occupation, and the Children of Platinum who wanted to get rid of the non-unicorns. Both groups had been driven off by Crystal Prism, Midnight Bell, and their allies.
- Punny Name: The "Grittish" Isles sounds suspiciously like the "British" Isles.
Portfolio: Rebirth, Transformation, Change
"Sometimes, the more you change, the more you stay the same."
Crystal Prism was once a unicorn colt named "Page Wheel", who worked as a newspaper delivery boy in the Grittish unicorn town of Hornbridge. At the time, his mother was afflicted with a serious illness, causing him to secretly wish he was more grown-up so he could properly take care of his sick mother. While a neighbor of Midnight Bell, an Earth pony filly, they initially got on the wrong hoof because he teased her for being clumsy. This kicked off a series of events where, after she temporarily transformed herself into a unicorn by wishing on a shooting star, Midnight Bell went to a prestigious magic school, where her lies got two teachers, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, very interested in Page Wheel's supposedly great magical talents.
Page Wheel was kidnapped and subjected to horrible experiments, with the intention being to transform him into an Alicorn deity that embodied Rebirth and Change, a symbol of a "new age" for Ponykind. Around this time, a young trio of Equestrian unicorn fugitives, Decepticolt, Zappityhoof, and Goldencap, participated in the experiments as well, though for selfish reasons. Unfortunately for the experimenters, their plans would backfire when Page Wheel would transform into a monster that could sense and devour magic. As payback, Noble Grace turned into one of his first victims, sucking her completely dry of magic until she became an elderly mare, her true age without the age-manipulation magic sustaining her. After that, the corrupted Page Wheel would go on a rampage across the Grittish Isles, devouring any magic he could find.
Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses arrived to help confront the monstrous Page Wheel, but due to his magic-absorbing properties, fighting him was difficult. Midnight Bell, feeling guilty for what she had done yet was too late to stop the experiments, tried distracting Page Wheel by talking him down, allowing Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses to kill him. It was when they discovered who the "monster" actually was, causing the Alicorns present to become overcome with guilt for not saving Page Wheel instead. However, a miracle happened: The magic Page Wheel devoured reacted by encasing his body in a magical cocoon that he would stay in for several days as it revived and healed him, before opening to reveal a physically older Alicorn demigod with hybrid pegasus-butterfly wings.
Page Wheel, now Crystal Prism, was incredibly traumatized by both his rebirth and the circumstances that led to it, to the point where he became withdrawn and melancholic, and suffered from nightmares over what could've happened. He also developed a deep grudge towards Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker because of what they had done, to the point where his anger would also direct itself at those who would force change on others for malicious ends. Fortunately, Crystal Prism would gradually get better thanks to the support of his friends and family, including Luminiferous, who took him in as his student to make up for what happened, and Mentálne, who would help him acknowledge his trauma and move on from it. And despite his trauma (or perhaps because of it), Crystal Prism developed empathy for those who have gone through stressful and tumultuous changes as he had, especially young children, whose fragile minds often make it difficult for them to endure such things.
Because of the nature of the experiments he went through, Crystal Prism has several abilities based on Rebirth, Change, and Transformation. He has telepathic abilities that allow him to control and see through blue butterflies, and he can transform into a swarm of butterflies and back should flying not be an option. He has been known to have butterfly agents comfort those in need should he be too busy, causing blue butterflies in general to be associated with good fortune. It's also noted that he has developed a strong affinity for light magic, which he is becoming increasingly skilled with, and possesses a unique healing technique called "cocoon-healing", in which he can encase people in magical cocoons that heal injuries, eliminates most curses, and even revive them from death. But perhaps his most unique ability is "emotional foresight", an incredibly rare type of empathy where he can predict the futures of specific people by strongly thinking about them before going to sleep. Arguably, this last ability was what prompted Crystal Prism to change his name from his old one,
Despite the "destiny" Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker had tried to impose on him, Crystal Prism now instead uses his powers and demi-divinity to help others, having been encouraged to make his own path by Golden Scepter, a surviving antediluvian Alicorn Emperor. Indeed, some of his feats included helping a young Button Mash and the victims of "CreepEntity513" escape from its collapsing game realm, protecting the young psychopomp Ruby Heart from the wrath of the goddess Poena, and driving tribalist factions like the Scions of Hurricane and the Children of Platinum away from Hornbridge. He was offered by Dazzleglow a spot in the Church of the Stars as a divine member, but he turned it down, wanting to get everything sorted in his life first before he can accept such a thing. Crystal Prism has even befriended one of Ispita's divine children, Katastrofa, during the "Temptation Unbound" incident, with the normally apathetic and nihilistic Draconequus showing off a much kinder, intelligent, and creative side when in his presence.
Despite the sheer misfortune and trauma he would go through, Crystal Prism has shown a lot of potential and promise, with Luminiferous being confident that he would fully recover and become much more than he currently is.
- Abstract Apotheosis: He became the Alicorn demigod of Rebirth, Change, and Transformation by devouring so much magic that after he was killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses, the magic presumably became a part of him and revived him by surrounding him in a magical cocoon, Ascending him in the process. This is one of two theories that Princess Twilight Sparkle presented regarding what happened - the other theory was Midnight Bell talking to his corrupted form awoke something in him, making him determined to stop his own rampage before he ended up hurting more people.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Unlike what happened to Peter, his character inspiration, in Mary and The Witch's Flower, Crystal Prism reacts to being kidnapped, experimented on, and turned into a monster as well as one would realistically expect - he became withdrawn and melancholic, and he would have nightmares about actually dying instead of being revived by the magic he devoured. He would also develop a hatred towards Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker (both Captain Ersatzes of Madam Mumblechook and Dr. Dee) as well as people like them, going into "terrifying" rages whenever he sees someone force change through nefarious means. Fortunately, he's getting better through divine psychiatric help and the support of his friends and family.
- Adaptational Badass: Unlike Peter, whose magical transformation into a magic-eating Blob Monster was completely reversed with a spell, restoring him to normal, Crystal Prism represents what could've happened if things went differently. As a demi-Alicorn god of Rebirth and Transformation, his magic is centered around light and butterflies, and since gaining his divinity and new powers, he has been doing a lot of good deeds in the world thanks to the benevolent influence of those who cared for him, despite the incredible trauma he went through. Notably, he played in a role in Button Mash's victorius defeat of CreepEntity513, and with the help of Luminiferous, Gavisus Manes and Audens Manes, he personally traveled into the video game realm to rescue Button Mash and all of the gamers CreepEntity513 had imprisoned and tortured over the Ages. He also participated in the "Battle of Hornbridge" event, where he and his friend, Midnight Bell, helped drive away the tribalist Scions of Hurricane and Children of Platinum factions from their hometown.
- Adult Fear:
- His mother was gravely ill around the time he met Midnight Bell, making him feel insecure that he wouldn't be able to take proper care of her at his current age.
- Much like what happened to his character inspiration, Peter, he was kidnapped and experimented on in an attempt to mass-produce Alicorns because Midnight Bell lied about him to save her own skin. Post-Ascension, he suffered from severe PTSD and a guilt complex over what happened, even having nightmares where the Alicorns killed him yet he didn't come back to life.
- A canonized Codexverse drabble reveals that after becoming an Alicorn, he would suffer self-esteem issues thinking that his parents wouldn't recognize or love him in his new form. His mother would tell him that no, that isn't a case, and that his being an Alicorn is a blessing, as he has the power and opportunity to help people now. And even if he isn't a unicorn anymore, his parents still love him.
- Animal Eye Spy: He often uses butterflies as his agents as well as his eyes and ears whenever he's too busy to comfort someone in need. Seeing blue butterflies means that good changes are heading their way.
- Animal Motifs: Butterflies, since they are symbols of change and rebirth. He was originally a unicorn colt who was subjected to horrible experiments, transformed into a magic-eating monster, and then Ascended after his own magic incubated and revived him in a cocoon after death. Because of his compassion and his actions in helping people, seeing blue butterflies are good symbols of fortune that herald the arrival of good changes. Fittingly, post-Ascension, his wings are a beautiful hybrid mix of pegasus and butterfly wings, as shown by his folder image.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Embodies Rebirth, Change, and Transformation. Fittingly, his appearance and most of his powers are based on butterflies.
- Armor-Piercing Question: He would give one to Katastrofa in regards to the bad futures the latter would see thanks to his foresight, which was noted to have taken Katastrofa completely off-guard.Crystal Prism: Have you ever tried to stop that bad future?
Katastrofa: ...Stop it?
Crystal Prism: You know it might happen... maybe you could stop bad futures from happening.
Katastrofa: I... I never thought about that.
- Back from the Dead:
- This happened in his backstory - after he was killed by both Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses while in his corrupted form, the magic he devoured reacted by encasing him in a magical cocoon that revived and healed him for several days, Ascending him in the process. It was noted that the experience traumatized him and gave him nightmares of what could've happened if he was killed then and there.
- Post-Ascension, he gained the ability to do this to those who died via "cocoon-healing". However, he can only do it if they've just recently died, as reviving someone who had been long dead would not only possibly rob them of the good afterlife they deserved, but would also anger the Death deities as well.
- Baleful Polymorph: Being subjected to horrible experiments in an attempt to mass-produce gods caused him to devolve into (in Luminiferous's words) a "dangerous, blue, blob-looking monster thingy that absorbs any type of magic it came across" which is what happened to Peter in Mary and The Witch's Flower. After Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses were forced to kill him, the magic leftover incubated Page Wheel's body in a magical cocoon before opening to reveal a butterfly-like Alicorn several days later.
- Barrier Warrior: He has the ability to create light-based shields to protect people. This is what protected CreepEntity513's victims from enemies and various other dangers as its video-game realm collapsed upon its death.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He secretly wanted to become a stallion so he could take better care of his mother, who was gravely ill at the time. He ended up being kidnapped and subjected to horrible experiments, which turned him into a magic-eating monster, which is much like what happened to Peter in Mary and The Witch's Flower. Even though things mostly worked out for him in the end and he did become a teenage Alicorn, he developed a guilt complex over wishing he was more grown-up so early, and had to attend lots of divine therapy sessions with Mentálne just to stave off the worst parts of his PTSD. A canonized Codexverse drabble reveals that he even developed self-esteem issues over his new "grown-up" appearance, believing that his parents wouldn't recognize or love him as their son anymore, until his mother, Ink Wheel, would assure him that not only do they still love him, they're actually proud of him for becoming an Alicorn.
- Big Brother Instinct: Despite being far younger than Ruby Heart chronologically, he has become somewhat of a surrogate older brother figure for her. In one incident, when Poena tried getting Ruby to agree with her views on Justice, Crystal went into Tranquil Fury and angrily yet calmly warned her of the consequences that would ensue if the divine Tulpa tried forcing Ruby to side with her.
- Big Damn Heroes: After CreepEntity513 was killed by Button Mash and its victims freed, its video-game realm started falling apart, causing Button Mash to realize that it made the realm tied to its power just to have one last laugh. Cue Crystal Prism galloping in with the divine help of a "few friends", and leading everyone to safety in the real world.
- Birds of a Feather: Platonic example. It is believed in-universe that the reason why he easily befriended Katastrofa, one of Ispita's children, during the "Temptation Unbound" event is because his domain of Rebirth is quite similar to Katastrofa's domain of Creation.
- Blinded by the Light: With his light magic, he can do this with various methods, such as creating magical flash-bangs, manipulating reflective surfaces in an area to make it look brighter than it is, and channeling his light magic through his body, intimidating his enemies into lowering their guard whenever they try fighting him in close quarters due to being so bright.
- Blue Is Heroic: As a colt, he was described as having a pale-blue pelt with white spots. Post-Ascension, he gained a blue-black pelt with white markings and bright areas on his legs, muzzle, and underbelly. He's also a heroic, if psychologically broken individual who is still recovering from the traumas he endured.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: He's a butterfly-like Alicorn whose appearance and magic is centered around butterflies. It's implied and later confirmed that, as Page Wheel, he really did die when he turned into a magic-eating monster and was purged by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses. Only his magic saved him by incubating him in a magic cocoon, which also allowed him to Ascend and turn into an Alicorn while inside it. It's later justified in Noble Grace's entry - it would be revealed in-universe through research notes and police interrogations that Noble Grace wanted to create an Alicorn that embodied Rebirth and Change, which would herald a "new age" for Ponykind as everyone would become gods and goddesses. This would explain how Crystal Prism had hybrid pegasus-butterfly wings, and he has abilities like empathetic precognition, telepathic butterfly control/summoning, and "cocoon-healing" (which also helps revive him whenever he's killed).
- Captain Ersatz: Crystal Prism/Page Wheel described as being inspired by Peter, the deuteragonist of Mary and The Witch's Flower. Like Peter, Page Wheel was a delivery boy who teased Midnight Bell (who was inspired by Mary) for being clumsy, which initially created an antagonistic relationship between them. He would also be kidnapped and experimented on by well-intentioned but unscrupulous people in their attempt to create godlike beings, only for him to turn into a magic-eating blob, which is what happened to Peter towards the end of the movie.
- Character Development: Goes through one, in short order. It's rather appropriate, considering that his portfolio revolves around Rebirth, Change and Transformation.
- As Page Wheel, he was described as polite and well-meaning yet Innocently Insensitive, and laughed at Midnight Bell's clumsiness because he thought she was funny. However, he secretly wanted to be a stallion so he could take better care of his mother, who was ill at the time.
- Once he Ascended as Crystal Prism, he became withdrawn, melancholic, depressed because of the trauma he went through, and developed both a guilt complex for wishing that he was older. It even got to the point where he had nightmares of where he didn't revive himself and Ascend. On the other hand, he developed great empathy for those who are undergoing stressful changes, especially young children, and often tries to help them deal with these changes. And thanks to Mentálne's therapy, he was eventually able to forgive Midnight Bell for her part in causing his trauma... though because of his experiences, he would have "terrifying" rages whenever he sees someone forcing change on people for nefarious ends.
- At some point, Yarost helped him acknowledge that his "terrifying" rages were unhealthy by stoking Crystal Prism's anger towards Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker to unhealthy degrees. This would make him try control his anger.
- After the Storm King Crisis ended, he would comfort Celestia in the aftermath of Tyrantlestia's defeat, even drawing from personal experiences as well as Midnight's encounters with bullies to make her feel better. It's also mentioned that when Crystal Prism visited Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker in prison, he tried convincing them to change their ways instead of lashing out at them, then gave up when it was clear they refused to change.
- During the Fourth-Age Shadow Sentinel's collaborative takedown of Canterlot's criminal underworld with the Pillars of Equestria and the Night Guard, Crystal Prism had a conversation with the dark god Temnobog about the Balance Between Good and Evil and why Good Needs Evil in general. It's noted that while he was left a little shaken for a while, he ultimately was able to understand Temnobog's beliefs, gaining a greater understanding of the world.
- When he and Twilight Sparkle protected Ruby Heart from Poena, he angrily yet calmly warned the divine Tulpa of the bad consequences that would follow if she tried forcing Ruby to side with her. Mentálne saw this as a major improvement on his recovering psyche.
- During the "Temptation Unbound" event, he would form an Odd Friendship with Katastrofa despite the latter being "evil" and one of Ispita's biological children. It is believed in-universe that his domain of Rebirth is quite similar to Katastrofa's domain of Creation, allowing them to become friends easily.
- Child Prodigy: Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker falsely believed he was this after Midnight Bell lied about him out of stress and to save her own skin. This led to Page Wheel being kidnapped, transformed into a monster, and ultimately Ascended into Crystal Prism.
- Children Are Special: It's believed that Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker often experimented on young foals because they had a greater capacity for potential and magic than adults did, which gave them the perfect excuse to try mass-produce Alicorns for the greater good. Page Wheel/Crystal Prism was kidnapped for this reason because they believed Midnight Bell's lies about him being the "real" child prodigy.
- The Chosen One: While talking to Celestia after her ordeal with Tyrantlestia, he brings up how his "creators", Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, intended to have him be "the herald of a New Age or something" after he paid them a visit in prison. It's ultimately played with; while Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker intended to create an Alicorn that embodied Rebirth and Change, it's implied that the holder of the role could've been anyone. As Page Wheel, him ending up in a magical cocoon after spending a short time of his life as a magic-eating monster was proof to them that he had the potential and power to become an Alicorn. Fortunately for Page Wheel, Scarlet Bell intervened before Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker could do anything about it, and after he Ascended, several benevolent individuals like Golden Scepter would encourage him to forge his own path instead.
- Cool Big Sis: Gender-inverted and implied. Despite the sheer gap in chronological age, it's mentioned that Crystal has somewhat become a surrogate older brother figure for the ghostly Ruby Heart. He is wiling to protect her even from divine entities like Poena.
- Creating Life Is Bad: Crystal Prism's backstory involved him being used as a test subject in an attempt by two disgraced teachers, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, to create Alicorns for the greater good of Equus. It's played with though, as while both the circumstances that led to his Ascension and the intentions behind them were bad, Temnobog sees Crystal Prism's very existence as a "positive" one, born from the great evil and hubris of mortals trying to play god.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His mother had become gravely ill at some point, causing him to secretly wish that he was a stallion so he would take better care of her. Then after Midnight Bell lied about him, he was kidnapped and experimented on by two disgraced teachers and wanted criminals, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, which first turned him into a magic-eating monster, then went through a traumatic Ascension after both Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses were forced to kill him, unaware that they were attacking a transformed colt until it was too late. His PTSD was so bad that it took him a long time as well as lots of therapy sessions with Mentálne to stave off the worst parts of it.
- Deity of Human Origin: He's an Ascendant deity who was transformed at a young age, though in an unorthodox manner rather than Ascending naturally. His "creators", Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, wanted to invoke this by mass-producing Alicorns for the greater good of Equus, so they kidnapped him and made him one of their test subjects, but this backfired in a horrible way. Only after he was killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses did he revive himself and Ascend.
- The Empath: While he doesn't have the reading abilities of traditional empaths, Crystal Prism can technically still be considered one. Namely, his foresight only works if he displays strong emotions/sentiments towards someone before going to bed.
- Crystal was able to get Midnight Bell some psychiatric help because he foresaw her falling into a depression over guilt. This is how she ended up with Mentálne, who helped her recover from her PTSD.
- Shortly before the CreepEntity513 incident, Crystal befriended Button Mash during a visit in Ponyville and was introduced to video games, even receiving a game as a gift. His strong emotions towards Button Mash gave him a troubling vision in which CreepEntity513 was attacking Button Mash and dragging the colt into its video-game dimension, and told Luminiferous about it. This resulted in Button receiving a trinket that would allow Luminiferous to lend him his future potential in the game world, ultimately leading to CreepEntity513's defeat.
- Entitled Bastard: Due to their collective Lack of Empathy and selfishness, the unicorn trio Decepticolt, Zappityhoof, and Goldencap assumed he was being entitled and keeping the secrets of the Ascension process to himself, due to being a young Alicorn. This enraged Crystal, who actually endured cruel experimentation and being killed as a monster before he Ascended, and thus was understandably angry that the unicorn trio only cared about the power he held rather than the trauma he suffered to get where he was.
- Family Theme Naming: Before his name change, he and his mother followed the "___ Wheel" formula, with his name being Page Wheel.
- Much to Mentálne and Queen Dazzleglow's great delight, he eventually forgave Midnight Bell for her actions that led to his trauma, while in turn apologizing for previously teasing Midnight for her clumsiness. It shows how far he's come in recovering from his PTSD.
- However, it's subverted with Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, who he still hasn't forgiven yet. He even goes into terrible rages whenever he sees someone forcing change on others like they've done with him. It's understandable given his experiences, though he's working on it. In a notable incident,
- For Want of a Nail:
- In-universe; post-Ascension, Crystal Prism would often have nightmares where he was killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses, but didn't come back to life like he did. These nightmares gradually lessened as he continued seeing Mentálne for therapy.
- It's implied that if he hadn't teased Midnight Bell in the first place, he likely wouldn't have gone through a lot of crap that ended with his traumatic Ascension.
- Friend to All Children: While he tries to help those who are dealing with stressful and traumatic changes, he feels closer to children, whose fragile mental states often leave them overwhelmed in the face of change. His initial Trauma Button involves them, as he gets angry whenever he sees someone trying to force change on a child just like how he was before, though he's getting better at handling his anger and recovering from his issues thanks to Mentálne.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Inverted. He was once a mortal unicorn colt named Page Wheel, but after Midnight Bell lied about him, he was kidnapped by Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, who proceeded to experiment on him to replicate the Alicorns' Ascension process. While the experiments did corrupt Page Wheel and turned him into a magic-eating monster, it wasn't until after he was defeated and killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses that he became the Alicorn he is now, having been revived by the very magic he devoured. Nowadays he helps promote Change and Rebirth, as he embodies it, by helping people and even befriending "evil" deities like Katastrofa, instead of heralding a "new age" like Noble Grace intended thanks to benevolent individuals encouraging him to forge a new path for himself.
- Good Cannot Comprehend Evil: He finds it baffling that Evil as a concept would have a constructive purpose in Equus, even wishing there were better motivators to make people do good things, though he does come to an understanding during a talk with Temnobog, the Bogolenya Deer god of Evil.
- Good Is Not Soft: Is normally a very empathetic Alicorn who is good with children. But he has periods of "terrifying" rage whenever he encounters those who try to force change through nefarious means. He's getting better at handling his anger, though, thanks to Mentálne and Yarost.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: After dying and Ascending upon revival, he would gain hybrid pegasus-butterfly wings, as shown in his folder image. While his unique wings represent his heroic character, they also represent his domains of Rebirth, Change, and Transformation - appropriately, he Ascended into Alicornhood by dying, and helps people deal with stressful changes and improve themselves.
- Guilt Complex: His entry notes that he would develop one post-Ascension, believing that his own wishes to become a stallion led to his undoing and caused so much pain and destruction for everything else, even though his transformation and stint as a monster was entirely out of his control. Mentálne
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He has radiant gold hair. Even as a mortal unicorn colt, he still had blond hair, though it was a dirty yellow color.
- Harmful to Minors:
- He was kidnapped by two disgraced teachers, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, and experimented on in their attempt to mass-produce Alicorns for the greater good. Unfortunately, he ended up turning into a magic-eating monster, causing him to go on a rampage across the Grittish Isles. Then, he was "purged" by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses to stop him from rampaging across Equus, though they didn't know who or what he was until it was too late to do anything else. What saved him was his magic reviving/Ascending him by incubating his body in a magical cocoon. The incident gave him nightmares where he was still killed but didn't come back to life like he did.
- He also opposes those who engage in this trope by forcing change on others, especially children, for nefarious means, to the point where he has "terrifying" periods of fury (though he's getting better at handling his anger).
- Healing Hands: He has an ability called "cocoon healing", in which he encases the wounded in magical cocoons that heals injuries and eliminates most curses. How long it takes depends on the severity of their condition, with reviving the dead taking several days or longer.
- Holy Burns Evil: He can use his magical cocoons to cure mundane forms of curses and dark magic. When he learned that the Alicorn godling, Prince Léon, has similar purification abilities, Crystal noted that they're somewhat not so different.
- Innocently Insensitive: Implied, as his profile described him as this. When he laughed at Midnight Bell's clumsiness, it soured Midnight Bell's perception of him, and inadvertently led to a lot of traumatic experiences in short order. After everything, though, he apologized to Midnight Bell for teasing her after she apologized for ruining his life, allowing them to reconcile and become friends.
- Intergenerational Friendship: His Odd Friendship with Katastrofa, Ispita's youngest son. Katastropha is a Tier 3-ranked divine, which means he's much older than Crystal Prism, who is the equivalent of an infant demigod due to how recently he Ascended.
- It's All My Fault: Shortly after becoming a young demigod, Crystal Prism developed a guilt complex similar to Princess Luna's, blaming himself for causing a lot of deaths and destruction as a monster just because he wished he was a stallion. Thanks to therapy sessions with Mentálne, he's gradually overcoming this.
- Light 'em Up: He's described as having a developing talent in light magic, and some of his capabilities include firing searing light beams, creating barriers and light-based illusions, and having butterflies made of light guide him and his allies through dark places. He can also blind and disorient people with light through magical flash-bangs, manipulation of reflective surfaces, and channeling his light magic through his own body so he looks brighter than he initially is. During his rescue of Button Mash and the victims of CreepEntity513 from its collapsing game realm, he made a series of light-based platforms so they could cross a bottomless chasm and enter a portal into the real world.
- Magic Eater: His stint as a "blob-looking monster thingy" made him react and eat any sources of magic he came across, leaving them completely powerless. It's theorized by Princess Twilight Sparkle that he absorbed so much magic that it ended up saving his life after Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses killed him, by reviving him in a magical cocoon that also Ascended him.
- Manchild: Justified and zigzagged. Despite being a demigod that looks like a teenage Alicorn, he is still the unicorn colt he once was in age. So while he acts mature and wise because of Mentálne's therapy and the Character Development he went through after his Ascension, he still sometimes shows elements of his original childlike personality that befits his actual age.
- Meaningful Appearance: He's described by his profile as a butterfly-like Alicorn whose magic is centered around butterflies. Later Codex entries, as well as art illustrated by randomfan11 (shown in his folder image), would reveal that because of the nature of Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's experiments, he would end up gaining hybrid butterfly-pegasus wings after reviving and Ascending.
- Meaningful Name: It's noted in his entry that his name is based on a glass prism - just as a prism turns light into rainbows, Crystal Prism predicts the potential of people.
- Meaningful Rename: He was once known as "Page Wheel", a unicorn colt who worked as a newspaper delivery boy. Post-experiments and Ascension, he took on the name "Crystal Prism" after he developed the ability of "emotional foresight". It's implied that another reason why he renamed himself is because he sees his old life as being broken beyond repair, as he had Ascended and could no longer resume things the way they used to be.
- Mind over Matter: He's described as still having the typical unicorn telekinesis post-Ascension.
- Morality Pet: During the "Temptation Unbound" event, he would form an Odd Friendship with Katastrofa, Ispita's youngest son and child. Because his foresight only lets him see bad outcomes, Katastrofa's normally quite apathetic and nihilistic, believing that he's only good at causing destruction. However, when around Crystal Prism, he would display a kinder, and more creative and intelligent side. This is justified, as it is believed in-universe that Katastrofa's domain of Creation is similar to Crystal Prism's domain of Rebirth, so naturally they would hit it off.
- Not So Different:
- He often helps children deal with stressful changes because he had gone through the same thing. He even goes into terrifying rages whenever he sees someone inflict harmful changes on them, though Mentálne is trying to help him control his anger and overcome his traumas to resolve his anger problems.
- One reason why Luminiferous took Crystal Prism in as his student is that like him and his father, Morning Star, Crystal Prism was created by an unscrupulous/evil person as a wheel to carry out their own agendas.
- He also compared Tyrantlestia to the school bullies that would torment his friend, Midnight Bell, because they would both bully people to make them feel bad about themselves. He goes on to state that "living good" is the best revenge against bullies in general since it reveals how pathetic and petty they are.
- Oh, Crap!: During his talk with Temnobog, it slowly dawns on Crystal Prism that Queen Dazzleglow would likely not react well to hearing that Evil has a constructive place in Equus, and that her goal of breaking the Cycle might be foolish all along. Thankfully, Dazzleglow takes it in stride and privately clears up everything with Temnobog, leading to a better understanding of her motives on the dark god's part.
- Odd Friendship: He would befriend Katastrofa, Ispita's youngest son, during the "Temptation Unbound" event. Katastrofa is an older deity and a apathetic nihilist whose catastrophic foresight made him believe that he's only good at destroying things and making people miserable with his catastrophes, even though he is very intelligent and kind and also embodies Creation. Crystal Prism is a young Alicorn demigod who has empathetic precognition, but actively helps people deal with stressful changes despite the incredible trauma he suffered in the past. Despite their differences and beliefs, they would hit it off easily, and it is believed in-universe that Katastrofa's Creation domain is quite similar to Crystal Prism's Rebirth domain.
- One to Million to One: Befitting his portfolio, he can quickly change his body into a swarm of blue butterflies as a quick, alternative evasion method in case using his wings isn't an option.
- Pals with Jesus: He's the "Jesus" part of the trope, being an Alicorn demigod who is friends with Midnight Bell and her great-aunt, Scarlet Bell. It's justified because both of them knew him as the mortal Page Wheel because they're neighbors, though he and Midnight Bell initially got off on the wrong hoof after he teased her for her clumsiness. After a series of horrible events that ultimately led to Page Wheel Ascending, his friendships with the Bells would play a huge role in helping him recover from his post-Ascension traumas.
- Pen Pals: With him frequently away from town due to being Luminiferous's student, Midnight has become his "wing pal"; since Crystal Prism uses Telepathy to control butterflies and make them his eyes and ears, Midnight keeps him informed on her life and what's going on at home whenever she sees a butterfly.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Crystal Prism is a young black-pelted Alicorn demigod with blue and white markings, though as Page Wheel he had a pale blue pelt with white spots. His friend, Midnight Bell, is a pink-pelted Earth pony filly with a wild orange mane and tail.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: As a colt, he secretly wished he was a stallion so he could take care of his sick mother. After he was kidnapped and experimented on by Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, he would transform into a magic-eating monster that rampaged through the Grittish Isles, and would be revived and healed by the magic he absorbed after he was killed by both Luminiferous and the Equestrian Alicorn Princesses. This resulted in him Ascending and coming out a physically older Alicorn demigod, though his entry that he would be heavily traumatized by his experiences.
- Pretty Butterflies: He has become associated with blue butterflies after Ascending to demigod status, due to having magic that revolves around them. In turn, his butterfly agents became seen as symbols of good fortune and good changes.
- Psychic Powers: He has telepathy (which he uses to control butterflies), precognitive empathy, and can cast light-based illusions. He also has the same telekinetic magic that he had when he was Page Wheel the unicorn colt.
- Reality Ensues: According to his writer, Crystal's transformation into a magic-absorbing Blob Monster in his backstory serves as a deconstruction of what happened to his character inspiration, Peter, being subjected to the same fate by well-intentioned yet extremely shady individuals, and then is magically restored with no psychological repercussions at all. Here, Crystal suffered from nightmares as well as PTSD from his stint as a monster and his traumatizing ascension/resurrection into an Alicorn demigod, and it took some time, as well as several therapy sessions with the young Bogolenya goddess Mentálne, for him to stave off the worst parts of his PTSD. Even then, while he did mostly improve, the road to full mental recovery is still a long one.
- Resurrective Immortality: While he's ageless due to being an Alicorn, his magic would always surround him and incubate him in a magical cocoon whenever he's killed. It's noted that it takes "several days or so" for him to fully revive himself, during which he's a complete sitting duck that needs efficient protection from those who wish him harm. It's implied that the first time doing this was what partially added to his initial trauma.
- Screw Destiny:
- According to research notes and police interrogations, Noble Grace had intended to create an Alicorn that embodied Rebirth and Change to herald a "new age" for Ponykind, which became Crystal Prism's role once he Ascended. However, he turned away from it after Golden Scepter encouraged him to determine his own path.Crystal Prism: Well, I guess she still got what she wanted, in the end... I Ascended and became the Alicorn of Rebirth and Change, heralding a 'new age' and all that. I suppose it's my only destiny now... right?
Golden Scepter: "No... no, my little pony. It is not the only destiny you have... far from it, actually.
Crystal Prism: What makes you say that, Emperor?
Golden Scepter: I have the power to see the future of every pony on this planet. And yet, an old friend of mine taught me that 'nothing is truly set in stone'. Every person, divine and mortal, has the power to change and determine their fate, including you.
Crystal Prism: But... how can I do that if... if...?
Golden Scepter: You embody Change, do you not?
Crystal Prism: Er... yes?
Golden Scepter: Then you have your answer. What that old mare and her crony did to you was wrong. However, you have more roads open to you now. What you will do with your life and your new divinity from this point on, is entirely up to you.
- Later on, he would suggest this trope to Katastrofa, who would become his friend during the "Temptation Unbound" event/conflict, by suggesting the option of directly averting the bad futures he foresees since he already knows what's going to happen. Katastropha, who is normally The Fatalist, was noted to have been caught completely off-guard.
- According to research notes and police interrogations, Noble Grace had intended to create an Alicorn that embodied Rebirth and Change to herald a "new age" for Ponykind, which became Crystal Prism's role once he Ascended. However, he turned away from it after Golden Scepter encouraged him to determine his own path.
- Seers: He has what the Church of the Stars called "emotional foresight", which is actually an extremely rare type of empathy that gives prophetic visions about someone whenever he thinks strongly of them before going to bed. However, his emotions and sentiments must be strong enough for it to work.
- He foresaw Midnight Bell falling into a deep depression over guilt towards her role in his Ascension, so he recommended Midnight to Mentálne, the Deer goddess of Psychology, knowing that she needed help as much as he did.
- He also foresaw Button Mash getting in trouble with the game-based Eldritch Abomination, CreepEntity513, and told Luminiferous about it. This is what allowed Luminiferous to help Button Mash fight CreepEntity513, by giving the Earth pony colt a trinket that'll allow him to aid Button from outside the game world and lend him his future potential.
- Semi-Divine: Much like King/High-Prince Thorax, Crystal Prism is considered to be the equivalent of an infant divine, having ascended extremely early in his life. As such, while he's rendered physically ageless, he's extremely weak and inexperienced compared to many other deities of Equus.
- Telepathy: He has telepathic abilities that allow him to summon butterflies for various needs. He can even talk to people through them.
- Tranquil Fury: In one incident where he protected Ruby Heart from Poena, he angrily yet calmly warned the divine Tulpa that bad consequences will await her if she tried making Ruby change her beliefs to side with her. Mentálne saw his reaction as a major improvement for his recovering psyche, considering he used to display "terrifying" rages towards people who tried to force change for nefarious means.
- Trauma Button: After all he had been through, he goes into "terrifying" rages whenever he sees people forcing change on others for nefarious ends, especially on young children. It goes to show that while he forgave Midnight Bell for her part in causing his transformation, he still hasn't done the same for Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker yet. He also became enraged when the unicorn trio Decepticolt, Zappityhoof, and Goldencap wrongly assumed that he was an entitled pony who kept the secrets of Ascension and Alicornhood to himself due to their collective Lack of Empathy, rather than feeling rightly horrified towards the cruel experimentation that was done to him. However, through Mentálne's therapy, he's gradually getting over this, realizing that his anger towards such people might be unhealthy.Crystal Prism: Back at home, two ponies thought it'd be a great idea to kidnap and use me for their experiments so they could create Alicorns, yet ended up with a monster. I was so angry at them for what they did to me that I would get super mad if I saw others do the same thing. I thought people like them were beyond forgiveness."
Ruby Heart: ...But now you don't?
Crystal Prism: ...Kinda. Still working on it, but I don't get angry as much as I used to. Mentálne helped me a lot... She taught me that not all people who do monstrous things are monstrous at heart, that they might actually regret what they did. She also said that those who don't feel sorry might be seriously messed up in the head.
- Trauma Conga Line: He was kidnapped by two disgraced teachers/wanted criminals, subjected to horrible experiments in an attempt to turn him into an Alicorn, destabilized and became a dangerous magic-eating monster instead, killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses]] to stop his rampage, and then revived/ascended when his own magic incubated him in a cocoon, turning him into an Alicorn. All because he teased a young Earth pony filly for being clumsy, which later caused Midnight Bell to lie about him to the aforementioned people responsible for his situation in the first place to save her own skin. Is it any wonder he came out so traumatized after all this?
- Winged Unicorn: He was once a unicorn colt, but became an Alicorn after being corrupted into a magic-absorbing Blob Monster, then revived by the magic he absorbed after he was killed by both the Equestiran Princesses and Luminiferous. Due to the rarity of Alicorns in Equus, he got mistaken for royalty by "CreepEntity513"'s victims when he arrived to lead them to safety (except Button Mash, who had previously befriended him).
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Played with. Currently he's a demigod who looks like a teenage Alicorn, but chronologically he's still as young as the colt he once was and sometimes acts like his actual age. The reason why he tends to act mature and wiser than his age is because he went through a lot of bad experiences that required therapy to recover from, causing him to experience Character Development at the same time.
- Younger Than They Look: Implied. His demigod form looks like a teenage Alicorn, but chronologically his age hasn't changed from when he was Page Wheel the unicorn colt. He's also roughly the same age as Midnight Bell, his neighbor and an Earth pony filly. Temnobog notes that he looks far too young to have Ascended into Alicornhood, implying that Ascension usually happens much later in life. This would make Crystal Prism almost literally the equivalent of a newborn divine.
- Youthful Freckles: As shown by his folder images, he has white freckle-like markings all over his body as a sign of his youth. It was more pronounced in his life as Page Wheel, as it shows how innocent he was pre-Ascension. He still has them, but it more contributes to his ethereal look as an Alicorn demigod with butterfly motifs.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: Student/Aspiring Chemist
"A life is like an unsprouted seed - anypony will support you and help you grow, but in the end you gotta make the journey yourself!"
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Many things were given to make Midnight Bell fit in the Codexverse, things that her character inspiration, Mary, did not have in the movie.
- Midnight was sent to the Grittish Isles because her mother wanted to protect her from her tribalist relatives, who would disapprove of her being an Earth pony on top of being illegitimate. This is what would give her an inferiority complex on top of being bored and lonely with nothing to do.
- Midnight's adventures were also more or less the same as Mary's, save for one difference - she would come out of it extremely traumatized, and for a time would develop a guilt complex towards ruining her young neighbor's life with her lies.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Midnight, due to feeling lonely and insignificant in a town mostly populated by unicorns, wished upon a shooting star that she was a unicorn herself so she could be "special". Having unicorn magic turned out to be more troublesome than she thought it would be, and the social demands that came with it caused her to lie about herself until she broke and finally admitted the truth. As a result, she gained infamy for being an "imposter unicorn", while her lies ultimately led to Page Wheel first becoming a monster thanks to Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's experiments, then reviving/Ascending into the Alicorn demigod, Crystal Prism, after he was killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses to stop his rampage. Learning of what her actions led to caused Midnight to blame herself for some time until she received therapy from Mentálne and Crystal forgave her.
- Be Yourself: Or rather, "Be the best you can be", since one of the themes of Codex Equus is growing into your own potential. Midnight's attempts to overcompensate for her lack of a horn end up backfiring on her, and when she wished upon a shooting star to become a unicorn even for a day, she lacked control over her magic, and felt incredible pressure to keep things up when teachers hailed her as a prodigy. Eventually, her lies caused her young neighbor, a unicorn named Page Wheel, to turn into a monster after being subjected to Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's experiments, which ultimately led to his Ascension into Crystal Prism after Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses killed him to stop his rampage, only for his own magic to revive him. Having seen the consequences of her wish and actions firsthand, Midnight eventually realized that having unicorn magic is more trouble than it's worth and refused to become a unicorn again when a disguised Luminiferous offered such a chance, which impressed and pleased the antediluvian Alicorn. Since she decided to apply herself, she revealed herself to be talented in chemistry and plant magic, and has received lessons from a Zebra tutor in alchemy and potion-making.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Mary, the titular heroine of Mary and The Witch's Flower, being British/Grittish girls with wild orange hair and strong associations with pink. Though Midnight's character was stated by her writer to be a realistic take on her - while Midnight's adventures were more or less the same as Mary's, the difference is that both she and Page Wheel would come out traumatized by their experiences and would take a while to recover from them, which didn't happen in the movie.
- Child Prodigy:
- As a (temporary) unicorn, she was hailed as this by the teachers of the magic school she was sent to, until they learned that Midnight was only powerful because of a wish she made, causing ponies to label her as an "imposter unicorn", which contributed to her existing inferiority complex.
- Once Midnight was encouraged to be her best by family and friends, and enrolled in a local school, she showed her true skills in plant magic, chemistry and science. It's noted by her profile that her teachers have given her laboratory assignments high praises, and her ambitions in incorporating plants into science led to her gaining a Cutie Mark - a blue Grape Hycianth flower planted in a triangular glass beaker.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After everything she has been through, Midnight eventually realized her affinity for plant magic and her talent in chemistry, and has received private tutoring from a Zebra in alchemy and potion-making. She also became more mature and confident thanks to Mentálne's therapy sessions, and the love and support she got from her family, to the point where she impressed a disguised Luminiferous by rejecting his offer of becoming a unicorn again. She also reconciled with Page Wheel/Crystal Prism and became his "wing pal" while he's being mentored by Luminiferous.
- Family Theme Naming: Implied. Aside from Midnight Bell herself, there's also her mother, Diamond Bell, and her great-aunt, Scarlet Bell. It's assumed that the rest of her maternal relatives follow this naming formula also.
- Fantastic Racism: A major reason why Midnight's mother, Diamond Bell, secretly moved her to great-aunt Scarlet Bell's care in the Grittish Isles; most of Diamond's family are pro-unicorn tribalists and would definitely abuse her daughter for being an Earth pony on top of being illegitimate. Ironically, despite the move, Midnight would be subjected to this trope again after word of her temporary transformation into a unicorn got out, causing her Grittish neighbors and others to call her an "imposter unicorn". This contributed to her inferiority complex, which Mentálne helped her get over by encouraging Midnight to live the best life possible, which according to the doe, is a great "counterattack" that exposes how petty and pathetic Midnight's bullies are.
- Fantastic Slurs: She would be called an "imposter unicorn" after Noble Grace learned that the "unicorn" filly was actually a transformed Earth pony, and harshly berated her for lying (though Noble Grace would later regret it as she let her anger influence her). After the news spread, many ponies, including some of Midnight Bell's neighbors, would follow suit out of contempt for Midnight being an Earth pony that dared to try change her race and become a unicorn. This partially contributed to Midnight's inferiority complex, until Mentálne encouraged her to live the best life possible to get back at her tormentors for being so petty and pathetic.
- Forgiveness: Crystal Prism eventually forgave her for her role in his transformation, which also shows how much he had improved psychologically since his revival/Ascension. Mentálne and Queen Dazzleglow were so delighted that the latter would inform Luminiferous of what happened.
- Generation Xerox: Much like her great-aunt, Scarlet Bell, she would also oppose Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's cruel experiments on other ponies, and tried to rescue Page Wheel from their hooves. While she's already too late, she would help distract Page Wheel's monstrous form so Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses could defeat him, resulting in Page Wheel's death and ultimately his Ascension.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her wild orange hair in bunches, tied by dark purple ribbons.
- Go Through Me: Scarlet Bell's entry reveals that after Page Wheel was killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses, and cocooned by the magic he absorbed from his victims, Midnight Bell would try protect his cocooned form from Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, who wanted to study it. Fortunately, Scarlet Bell would intervene just in time while looking for her runaway grandniece.
- Green Thumb: She has an inclination to plant magic, which she uses to speed up plant growth and heal withered/damaged plants. Relating to her talent, Midnight aspires to look into the magical properties of plants so she could incorporate them into chemistry, her strongest academic subject. This is represented by her Cutie Mark, a blue Grape Hycianth flower that's planted in a triangular glass beaker.
- Hair Decorations: Wears dark purple ribbons in her hair to keep them tied in curly bunches.
- Heroic Bastard: She was born the illegitimate daughter of Diamond Bell, a unicorn, and a "common" stallion (who remains nameless to the public to protect himself from scrutiny). It's implied that her father is an Earth pony though, which is why Midnight was also born an Earth pony. Despite her parents' loving relationship, both it and Midnight wouldn't be accepted by her mother's family, most who are pro-unicorn tribalists, which is why Midnight ended up living in the Grittish Isles with great-aunt Scarlet Bell. Though she had a very rough start, she eventually learned to accept herself and worked to realize her own potential.
- It's All My Fault: Midnight believed that everything, including the Trauma Conga Line that Page Wheel went through before becoming Crystal Prism, was her fault; if she hadn't wished for anything as grand as being a unicorn, none of their experiences would've happened. Crystal Prism eventually forgave her, which along with Mentálne's therapy sessions helped Midnight get over her guilt complex.
- Kirk Summation: When the Scions of Hurricane attempted a genocidal siege on Hornbridge, her hometown, she had this to say:Midnight Bell: I don't care WHAT you say! There's no glorious future for you ANYWHERE because YOU'RE just a group of BULLIES who pick on ponies who don't have wings like YOU do!
- Like a Son to Me: Her great-aunt, Scarlet Bell, loves her like her own daughter and doesn't care that she's an Earth pony.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Due to initially having abandonment issues and an inferiority complex for being an Earth pony among unicorns, Midnight tried compensating by trying to help her neighbors. Her eagerness and clumsiness, however, caused situations to worsen than they were before, causing said neighbors to see her as a well-meaning yet immature foal who doesn't know what she's doing. After receiving psychic therapy from Mentálne, the young Bogolenya Deer goddess of Mental Healing, Midnight grew out of this and only lends her aid if it's truly needed.
- Pals with Jesus: Justified with her relationship with Crystal Prism. She already knew him as the mortal Page Wheel because they're neighbors, though they initially got off on the wrong hoof after he teased her for her clumsiness. After a series of horrible events that ultimately led to Page Wheel Ascending, they would apologize to each other and reconcile, becoming friends afterwards.
- Pen Pals: With Crystal Prism frequently away from town due to being Luminiferous's student, Midnight has become his "wing pal"; since Crystal Prism uses Telepathy to control butterflies and make them his eyes and ears, Midnight keeps him informed on her life and what's going on at home whenever she sees a butterfly.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Midnight Bell is a pink-pelted Earth pony filly with a wild orange mane and tail. Her friend, Page Wheel, was a blue-pelted unicorn colt with a blond mane and tail, though after Ascending and becoming Crystal Prism, his body became black with blue and white markings.
- Reality Ensues:
- She wished upon a shooting star to become a unicorn, even for a day, to make herself "special". This backfired on her, as her lack of control over her unicorn magic caused lots of property damage in her hometown, and when the teachers at the magic school she was sent to praised her as a prodigy, Midnight had to lie to keep up the facade until she broke and admitted the truth, causing her reputation to sink even lower. This caused Midnight's neighbors and others to label her as an "imposter unicorn".
- Her lies about Page Wheel being the real magical prodigy after she admitted she only became powerful through a wish, caused two unscrupulous teachers, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, to kidnap and experiment on Page Wheel in their attempt to mass-produce Alicorns for the greater good, only for him to become a magic-eating monster. This caused Midnight to blame herself for what happened, until she started attending Mentálne psychic therapy sessions and Page Wheel, who survived to become Crystal Prism, forgave her for her actions.
- Secret Test of Character: Luminiferous was responsible for temporarily turning Midnight into a unicorn because he wanted to see if she actually wanted to be a unicorn, with everything that comes with it. As it turned out, Midnight had so much difficulty with unicorn magic that she eventually decided that it wasn't worth keeping once her wish ran out. When Luminiferous appeared to her in disguise and asked her if she wanted to be a unicorn again, Midnight refused, stating that she has everything she needs now, which greatly impressed and pleased the antediluvian Alicorn.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Much like her mother and maternal great-aunt before her, her actions would ultimately result in something big happening. Her desire to become "special" by temporarily transforming herself into a unicorn led to her encountering Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, and the stress from keeping up her facade as a Child Prodigy led to said ponies kidnapping Page Wheel after she broke and attempted to save face. Consequently Page Wheel's time as Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's test subject would turn him into a monster that rampaged throughout the Grittish Isles while absorbing magic, and after he was killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses, he would be revived/Ascended by the very magic he devoured, turning into the Alicorn demigod, Crystal Prism.
- So Proud of You:
- This was Luminiferous's response to Midnight refusing his offer to become a unicorn again; since her brief stint as a unicorn was instigated by him as a Secret Test of Character, he was quite pleased to know that Midnight has learned her lesson and started growing into her own potential rather than look for shortcuts.
- It's noted in Scarlet Bell's entry that she was quite proud of her grandniece for doing well in school.
- You Are Too Late: She attempted to save Crystal Prism, then "Page Wheel", from being experimented on by Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker just like what her great-aunt Scarlet Bell had done, feeling guilty for having a direct role in Page Wheel's kidnapping and experimentation. Unfortunately, she arrived too late, as Page Wheel turned into a magic-eating monster that would rampage across the Grittish Isles. She did, however, help distract the corrupted Page Wheel by talking him down, allowing Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses to defeat and kill him. This trope is implied to have played a part in Midnight's guilt complex, as she deeply regretted ruining Crystal Prism's life until he forgave her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In her case, orange hair. It's mentioned that she inherited it from her maternal great-aunt, Scarlet Bell.
Midnight Bell's unicorn mother. Born in Equestria, Diamond Bell is the daughter of a well-to-do unicorn family until she went against her parents' wishes by falling in love with a common stallion and marrying him. Their union resulted in the birth of an Earth pony filly, Midnight Bell. Wanting to protect her daughter from her family, most of whom were pro-unicorn tribalists, Diamond Bell secretly moved Midnight to the Grittish Isles, where she would be raised by great-aunt Scarlet Bell until her parents made enough money to reunite with her there.
- Adult Fear:
- She feared the idea of her family, most of whom were pro-unicorn tribalists, abusing her daughter for being an Earth pony on top of being an illegitimate foal. This prompted her decision to secretly move Midnight Bell to the Grittish Isles, where she would be cared for by her loving maternal great-aunt, Scarlet Bell.
- She would also be unaware of the inferiority complex, loneliness and other issues Midnight Bell would develop after being sent away, or the fact that Midnight Bell would end up playing a prominent role in what happened to Page Wheel.
- Defector from Decadence: Most of her family members were pro-unicorn tribalists and (implied) very well-to-do. Diamond Bell rebelled against them by marrying a "common" stallion for love. She also secretly shipped off her daughter, Midnight Bell, to the Grittish Isles so she would be protected from her maternal relatives.
- Elopement: She eloped with a "common" stallion after falling in love with him. It's implied that her family would've forbidden the marriage anyway out of tribalism anyway, so her decision was understandable.
- Family Theme Naming: Implied; going from the names of her daughter and aunt, her family and relatives presumably follow the "___ Bell" formula.
- Fantastic Racism: Averted. While most of her family members are pro-unicorn tribalists, she isn't, and even married a "common" stallion for love. She also moved her daughter, Midnight Bell, to Scarlet Bell's care so she'll be protected from her family, who would certainly abuse her for being an Earth pony on top of being an illegitimate foal.
- Happily Married: Implied to be this with her husband, a "common" stallion who's implied to be an Earth pony.
- Mama Bear: Midnight ended up living in the Grittish Isles because her being an Earth pony filly, on top of being illegitimate, would've made her a target for abuse by her pro-unicorn maternal relatives. Diamond Bell knew this, and secretly transferred her daughter to the care of great-aunt Scarlet Bell so she could have a happy life.
- Marry for Love: She went against her family's wishes and married a "common" stallion for love. The result of their union was Midnight Bell.
- Missing Mom: Justified; she was absent for a majority of Midnight Bell's life because she secretly had her daughter transferred to the Grittish Isles, where she would live under the care of great-aunt Scarlet Bell. She and her "common" husband remained in Equestria in the meantime, working until they had enough money to move and reunite with their daughter.
- Reality Ensues: Despite being Happily Married with her husband and loving her daughter, Midnight Bell, very much, it's implied that her financial situation post-elopement wasn't so great. She would also face the prospect of Midnight Bell being abused by her family, most who are pro-unicorn tribalists, for being an Earth pony should they learn of her existence. She ultimately decided to secretly move Midnight to the Grittish Isles and into the care of great-aunt Scarlet Bell, who lacks her family's tribalist views.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Had she not eloped with the "common" stallion she fell in love with, she wouldn't have Midnight Bell. Likewise, her decision to send her daughter to the Grittish Isles to protect her from her tribalist relatives would ultimately kick off a series events that would result in Page Wheel, a unicorn colt, Ascending to become the Alicorn Crystal Prism, while Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker would be exposed and arrested for their crimes thanks to Midnight Bell's interference.
- Uptown Girl: She fell in love with a "common" stallion, who would become Midnight Bell's father, and eloped with him against her rich unicorn family's wishes. Because most of her family are pro-unicorn tribalists, Diamond Bell secretly transferred her young daughter to the Grittish Isles and into the care of great-aunt Scarlet Bell to protect her. As it turns out, Diamond bell's decisions would have a profound effect on things, as Midnight Bell would later play a role in exposing two criminals masquerading as teachers, and the Ascension of a young unicorn colt.
Scarlet Bell, the Whistleblower
Alignment: Neutral/Lawful Good
Type: Caretaker/Humble Hero/"Cool Old Lady"
Faction: Hornbridge Residents
"I'm just doing what is right, that's all."
Scarlet Bell is Midnight Bell's maternal great-aunt, as the latter's mother, Diamond Bell, is Scarlet's niece.
Born in Pferdia to an aristocratic unicorn family, Scarlet Bell was known as the "joy" of her hometown, whose residents loved her because of her generosity and willingness to help others. During her time as a student of a local magic school, several of her classmates and friends would mysteriously disappear, one by one. A little investigating took her to an uncharted part of the school where a secret laboratory resided, occupied by magically transformed animal hybrids as well as several of her classmates. To her horror, Scarlet Bell learned from one classmate that her beloved teachers, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, were performing well-meaning yet cruel and unethical experiments on their own students, targeting those with the brightest and talented minds in their quest to learn how to turn ponies into Alicorns.
Horrified, Scarlet Bell would confront Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, despite fearing her teachers' intelligence and power. After calling out her teachers on their hypocrisy, she would engage them in a fight, resulting in the enraged Noble Grace misfiring a spell that caused a huge explosion and fire. Though Scarlet Bell succeeded in rescuing her classmates and friends, she was horrifically injured in the process and was left with permanent burn scars.
Scarlet's actions caused the public to laud her as a hero. Traumatized by her experiences and too humble to do anything about the praise, she would move to the Grittish Isles with a relative and a few servants, and settle down to a quiet life in the (mostly) unicorn town of Hornbridge. While she wanted to get away from the attention, she was also afraid of potential retribution from her former teachers, and wanted to protect herself from that.
Through sheer coincidence, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker would also flee to the Grittish Isles to escape the law, and would work there in secret for many years under new names and magical glamours. Around this time, Scarlet Bell's grandniece, Midnight Bell, had temporarily transformed from an Earth pony filly into a unicorn after wishing on a shooting star, and Scarlet Bell would send her to a magic school so she could learn how to control her unicorn magic, unaware that said school was headed by her former teachers. By the time she realized what was going on, the Grittish Isles was under attack by Page Wheel, who had been corrupted into a magic-eating monster, with Midnight Bell risking her own life to distract Page Wheel long enough for him to be defeated and killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses. Scarlet Bell promptly called the police, leading to Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's arrest.
Despite being a unicorn, Scarlet Bell is one of few Bell family members who don't indulge in pro-unicorn tribalism, and loves Midnight Bell like a daughter despite the latter being an Earth pony. This would partially play a role in Midnight Bell's gradual acceptance of herself, as she recovers from the traumas of the incident.
- Adaptational Badass: Compared to Great-Aunt Charlotte, her character inspiration, she takes a more proactive role here. Notably, unlike Great-Aunt Charlotte, she would get in a magical fight with her teachers as a foal, saving her classmates from being experimented on by them. And years later, the moment she discovered that her former teachers were in the same country as her and still preying on young foals and teenagers, including the young son of a neighboring family she knew, she immediately called the authorities and tried finding Midnight Bell, her grandniece, by herself after the latter ran away from home to save Page Wheel alone. She even punched a now-magically powerless Noble Grace in the face for all the horrific actions she had done to her loved ones during their public confrontation, something she doesn't regret.
- Adult Fear: Happens a few times in her life.
- When she was a young student in Pferdia, several of her classmates and friends mysteriously disappeared, which she would discover were caused by the very teachers she trusted. Scarlet Bell would admit years later that Noble Grace's incredible power and knowledge made her reluctant to confront her due to fear of injury and/or death, but she ultimately pressed on because her desire to save her classmates from a "monster" was stronger. She would succeed, but was marked with burn scars by an explosion and fire caused by a misfired spell. She would move to the Grittish Isles shortly after, both to escape publicity and hide from her former teachers.
- Years later, she would send her grandniece, Midnight Bell, to a Grittish magic school after the latter turned into a unicorn and destroyed almost half the town they lived in with her magic... unaware that Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, having also moved to the Grittish Isles through sheer coincidence, were also at the school under carefully-crafted glamours. By the time she realized this, Midnight Bell would run off alone to try, in her words, "save Page Wheel from those evil teachers!", and endanger herself trying to save everyone from Page Wheel's corrupted form by distracting him until Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princess killed him.
- Page Wheel, the son of a neighboring family she befriended, would mysteriously disappear shortly after Midnight Bell was rejected by the local magic school and sent home for her dishonesty. After learning that Page Wheel had been experimented on, rampaged through the Grittish Isles as a monster, and ultimately ended up in a magical cocoon that Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker wanted to examine, she tells Noble Grace, "You disgust me." before punching her in the face.
- Break the Cutie: Her admiration of Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker as teachers was brutally shattered when she learned exactly why several of her classmates and friends went missing, and what was going to be done with them. Confronting her teachers and narrowly surviving the fire that resulted from their fight left her literally and figuratively scarred. She moved to the Grittish Isles to escape public attention and protect herself from possible retribution from her former teachers, and her traumas left her quite frightened and distrustful, to the point where she had nightmares for a while. She eventually got better, thanks to the love of her relatives and the gratitude of those she saved.
- Broken Pedestal: Her entry notes that as a young filly, she once idolized Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker for being smart, powerful, and fun teachers. However, the horrific discovery of her teachers' goals and what they planned to do with her friends and classmates brutally shattered her perceptions of them, to the point where she initially was distrustful of adults and had nightmares about it. Even though she got better years later, she nonetheless panicked when she learned that Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker ended up in the Grittish Isles like she did by sheer coincidence, and after finding Midnight Bell, who had run away from home alone to save Page Wheel, defending Page Wheel's cocoon from them, she would confront her former teachers and deck Noble Grace in the face for her crimes.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Great-Aunt Charlotte. Like her, she's an elderly maternal figure for Midnight Bell, who is based on Charlotte's grandniece, Mary. In her youth, she would also succeed in opposing her teachers and stopping their cruel experiments on their own students, which is exactly what Charlotte did when she was younger.
- Cool Old Lady: She's an elderly unicorn mare, yet she loves her grandniece, Midnight Bell, like her own daughter and doesn't care that Midnight's an illegitimate Earth pony filly. Her entry would explicitly describe her as this - while her childhood experiences have tempered her, she's still the cheerful and helpful pony she was as a filly, and is also a warm and maternal figure who's rather fond of foals. Despite her privileged childhood as a unicorn aristocrat, she never developed the pro-unicorn tribalism that most of her family and relatives had. Hornbridge residents would note that she has a quite witty sense of humor, and would cheer up someone with a few quips if they were sad and/or unhappy. In regards to Page Wheel/Crystal Prism and Midnight Bell, she's a constant, encouraging, and benevolent figure in their lives and even helped them recover from their own traumas. And notably, when she finds her injured grandniece trying to protect Page Wheel's cocoon from Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, Scarlet Bell doesn't hesitate in protecting Midnight and giving her former teachers a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, before punching Noble Grace in the face.
- Cowardly Lion:
- When she was younger, she understandably feared the possibility of getting injured or killed by Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, who are both intelligent and powerful ponies and could easily end her. However, she ultimately pressed on because her desire to save her classmates from a "monster" was stronger than her fear. She would survive and succeed in her goal, fortunately, but a misfired spell caused a great explosion and fire that gave her permanent burn scars.
- Averted years later when she confronted Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker again with Tranquil Fury, being completely dedicated to protecting her grandniece, Midnight Bell, and a cocooned Page Wheel from them. She even punched Noble Grace in the face for all the atrocities she had done over the years, and didn't regret a thing. It's stated by her entry that her former teachers' arrests brought her personal closure that allowed her to be more open and social, knowing that the two ponies she once feared were finally brought to justice. Noble Grace being rendered powerless magically with no other way to retaliate also helped.
- Et Tu, Brute?: She really didn't take it well when she discovered that her beloved teachers, Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, were responsible for her classmates and friends' disappearances by persuading them into participating in their well-meaning, yet cruel experiments.
- Family Theme Naming: Implied; going from the names of her niece and grandniece, her family and relatives presumably follow the "___ Bell" formula.
- Fantastic Racism: Averted; unlike most of her relatives, she loves her grandniece, Midnight Bell, like her own daughter despite the latter being an Earth pony, and an illegitimate foal.
- Generation Xerox: Years later, her grandniece, Midnight Bell, would inherit her orange hair and oppose Noble Grace in stopping her cruel experiments. While Midnight was too late in saving Page Wheel from becoming a monster, she would help distract his corrupted monster form by talking him down, allowing Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princess to defeat and kill Page Wheel, and ultimately resulting in his revival and Ascension into an Alicorn.
- Humble Hero: As stated by her folder quote and Codexverse entry, she's rather humble, and only sees herself as an ordinary pony who did the right thing. In fact, it's partially because of this that she moved to the Grittish Isles and lived a quiet life in Hornbridge, wanting to get away from the public attention she received for her actions as a filly. Furthermore, she serves as a living example of the potential for people to do good in the Codexverse, regardless if they're legendary heroes or not.
- Karmic Jackpot: Her childhood actions in opposing two morally bankrupt teachers and saving her classmates from them would result in Pferdia lauding her as a hero, though she would shortly move to the Grittish Isles to escape the attention and protect herself from further retribution. Years later, after learning that Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker have also moved to the Grittish Isles to escape the law and continue their work, she promptly called the authorities and attempted to find Midnight Bell, who ran off alone to save a kidnapped Page Wheel. Her intervention not only got Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker arrested, but also saved Midnight Bell and Page Wheel from them, especially the latter since he was being revived in a magical cocoon at the time and was rendered a sitting duck. This would also result in Scarlet Bell becoming acquainted with an Alicorn demigod once Page Wheel was healed and Ascended as Crystal Prism.
- Kid Hero: Deconstructed. Even though she feared being killed or injured, she nevertheless confronted Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker and fought her teachers to save her classmates from becoming their test subjects. However, the traumas of discovering her beloved teachers weren't what she thought they were, nearly losing her friends to them, and nearly dying from the fires that resulted from their fight left her frightened and distrustful, to the point where she had nightmares for a while. The praise she got for her heroic actions motivated her to move to the Grittish Isles because she didn't want the attention and because she feared that it would make her a target for retribution from her former teachers.
- Like a Son to Me: She loves her grandniece, Midnight Bell, like her own daughter and doesn't care that she's an Earth pony.
- Living Legend: She's famous in her home country, Pferdia, for being a "whistleblower", thanks to her actions of opposing two morally bankrupt teachers as a filly. After her actions in the Grittish Isles, she became even more famous. She just wishes the public wouldn't give her extra attention for it.
- The Magnificent: Because of her childhood actions in opposing Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, two well-meaning yet morally and mentally bankrupt teachers who experimented on foals to mass-produce Alicorns, she became known as "The Whistleblower" in Pferdia. She would later live up to it years later, when she would confront her former teachers as an old mare and provoke Noble Grace into having a public Motive Rant about her intentions in her maddened, desperate rage, evening punch Noble Grace in the face for what she did to Page Wheel.
- Mama Bear: Well, elderly maternal great-aunt, but still applies. When she learns that Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker have moved to the same country as her by sheer coincidence, she promptly calls the authorities and tries finding Midnight Bell, who ran off alone to try save Page Wheel from them. And when she finds Midnight defending Page Wheel's cocoon from the same ponies, Scarlet doesn't hesitate to protect her grandniece and the cocooned Page Wheel from her former teachers, including punching Noble Grace in the face for all she had done.
- Meaningful Appearance: Her first time confronting and fighting Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker to save her classmates as a filly left her scarred literally (got horrifically burned in the resulting fire and has permanent scars) and figuratively (was rather distrustful for a while and feared for her own life, prompting her move to the Grittish Isles).
- Meaningful Name:
- She's an elderly unicorn mare with a faded red pelt and a ringing bell for a Cutie Mark. Her name is Scarlet Bell, though it fit more when she was younger, because her pelt was then a bright red color.
- Following the exposure and (eventual) downfall of Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, many people have interpreted her Cutie Mark and Special Talent to be whistleblowing, which fits since her courage in standing up to them was what got her former teachers arrested in the first place.
- Mind over Matter: She's described as having magic-based telekinesis that many unicorns have. She mostly uses it to make tea.
- Never Mess with Granny: She became an established hero in Pferdia because of her actions in exposing and fighting two morally bankrupt teachers when she was a filly, but she was too humble about it and partially moved to the Grittish Isles to escape the attention. Years later, when she finds Midnight Bell protecting Page Wheel's cocoon from her former teachers, she goes Tranquil Fury and quickly moves in to protect her grandniece, provoking a Villainous Breakdown and a Motive Rant from Noble Grace. Apparently she would punch Noble Grace in the face afterwards, something that she never regretted.
- Pals with Jesus: Justified with her relationship with Crystal Prism. She already knew him as the mortal Page Wheel, as she is friends with him and his parents. After Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker's experiments paved the way for Page Wheel's Ascension, she would help him recover from his trauma by being a constant, encouraging, and benevolent presence in his life.
- Properly Paranoid: She feared the idea of Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker retaliating against her for ruining their work as a filly, which became one of the reasons why she moved to the Grittish Isles and settled down for a quiet life. Years later, after her grandniece, Midnight Bell, ran off alone to save Page Wheel, she quickly learned that she was right to be fearful, as Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker also ended up in the same country by sheer coincidence.
- Red Is Heroic: She's an elderly unicorn mare with a faded red pelt, though her pelt was bright red when she was younger. She's also a very Humble Hero who nevertheless has very strong principles and a heroic resolve to do what's right, even though her heart might not be entirely in it.
- Scars Are Forever: She got permanent burn scars from an incident where she tried rescuing her classmates from Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker, only for a misfired spell to cause an explosion that also caused a great fire. Her entry describes said scars as covering her body as well as almost half her face.
- Tranquil Fury: After confronting her former teachers again while trying to protect Midnight Bell and the cocooned Page Wheel from them, she would give Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker a "The Reason You Suck" Speech with calm anger, and then punch Noble Grace in the face afterwards.
- When Elders Attack: A Codexverse quote in her entry reveals that she apparently punched Noble Grace in the face for what she did to Page Wheel and her other victims. She would later state to reporters that she didn't regret doing so.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She had orange hair when she was younger, which Midnight Bell would inherit from her. Time and age would eventually fade her hair color to a pale gray, though.
- You Make Me Sick: She says a variation of this trope to Noble Grace after the latter expressed her intentions to examine Page Wheel's magical cocoon so she could mold the colt into becoming a herald of a "new age" for Ponykind. She would apparently punch her former teacher in the face afterwards.Noble Grace: You don't understand, Scarlet! Bubbly and I wanted to bring a FUTURE for Ponykind! One where everypony can live freely without fear of having their potential dashed by those who seek to kill or enslave them to their whims! And yet, YOU and that interfering FILLY of yours ignored our good intentions, only focusing on how 'wrong' our methods are! Now get out of my way! I need to see that cocoon!
Scarlet Bell: Not so fast, you old prune. You're not going ANYWHERE near Page Wheel, or my grandniece for that matter. Not while I still breathe.
Noble Grace: Please! It's extremely important for our research! I don't know how that colt ended up like that, but if he landed in such a state, that must mean he has so much potential! So much power! With a bit of tweaking, he's going to bring our people's salvation!
Scarlet Bell: A salvation built on the bodies of the foals and teenagers you ruined... You disgust me."
A unicorn mare, and Crystal Prism's mother.
- Adult Fear:
- She and her husband tried having many foals so they could have the family they always wanted, except their children were either miscarriages or stillbirths. It got to the point where some of their neighbors assumed badly of them and were bold enough to tell them that "Celestia's Sun" was punishing them for displeasing her. Ink Wheel's husband didn't like that and presumably dealt with the murmurers hurting his wife. Page Wheel's birth and survival was such a miraculous relief that his parents would pray their thanks to the gods every night.Ink Wheel: In our eyes, you were our miracle baby, in more ways than one.
- When she became gravely ill, she was scared and angry with herself, fearing the idea of dying on her son when she tried so hard to have a foal, and feeling bad that she fell sick in general. According to her, she would keep praying for the day she would be cured of her illness so she could see Page Wheel grow up. Around this time, her son, Page Wheel would be kidnapped and experimented on by two criminals masquerading as teachers after coming in contact with Midnight Bell, leading to him transforming into a magic-eating monster that would be killed by Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses to save the Grittish Isles. According to Ink Wheel, her prayers were finally answered when Page Wheel came home as Crystal Prism and cured her illness with his "cocoon-healing" ability. She and her husband would presumably learn what happened to their son afterwards.
- She and her husband tried having many foals so they could have the family they always wanted, except their children were either miscarriages or stillbirths. It got to the point where some of their neighbors assumed badly of them and were bold enough to tell them that "Celestia's Sun" was punishing them for displeasing her. Ink Wheel's husband didn't like that and presumably dealt with the murmurers hurting his wife. Page Wheel's birth and survival was such a miraculous relief that his parents would pray their thanks to the gods every night.
- Doting Parent: She's very loving and proud towards her son, Page Wheel, especially since he's the only one of her foals to not miscarriage and even live past childbirth. After he became an Alicorn demigod and cured her of her illness, she would apparently go around town declaring that her own son healed her. She also enjoyed bragging to her neighbors about how she became the mother of a young Alicorn, much to her son's embarrassment.
- Family Theme Naming: She and her son (before his post-Ascension name change) follow the "___ Wheel" formula, with her name being Ink Wheel. Presumably, her husband follows the naming formula as well.
- Good Parents: She loves her son, Crystal Prism, very much even after he became an Alicorn demigod, especially since he's the only foal who survived childbirth out of the many foals she and her husband tried having. Notably, she's very accepting of Crystal Prism's Alicorn form and name change, to the point where she enjoyed bragging to her neighbors in Hornbridge about how she became the mother of a young Alicorn, much to Crystal's embarrassment.
- Happily Married: With her husband, Crystal Prism's father.
- Karmic Jackpot: She and her family would become good friends with Scarlet Bell sometime after the latter moved to the Grittish Isles. Her son, Page Wheel, would later become an Alicorn demigod after coming in contact with Scarlet's maternal grandniece, Midnight Bell, which would prove handy in curing his mother's sickness as Page Wheel, now Crystal Prism, gained the ability to heal by encasing people in magical cocoons temporarily. Scarlet Bell herself would also intervene on Page Wheel's behalf by protecting him from Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker while he was cocooned, potentially saving his life in the long run.
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Type: Well-Intentioned Extremist/Mage/Teacher/Criminal
Faction: Alicorn Ascendancy
"The ends justifies the means! And what greater ends is there compare to godhood for all?"
Noble Grace was born a unicorn of great wealth, and it was her background, combined with her voracious childhood desire to learn everything she could, that resulted in her knowing a large variety of magic and being well-versed in both magic and science in general. She's often graceful and poised, but she was very friendly, open, and maternal, making her a very popular teacher and headmistress among her students in Pferdia. Believing in the inherent potential of Ponykind, she would encourage her students to think for themselves and rise above what they are currently capable of.
However, unbeknownst to everyone but a trusted few, Noble Grace is also a member of the Alicorn Ascendancy, a secret organization devoted to replicate the process of divine Ascension. Together with her friend and colleague, Professor Bubbling Beaker, she would lure the brightest and most talented students into participating in her experiments, believing that a new age would begin for Ponykind if they succeeded. To her misfortune, her experiments would not only fail once, but twice - the first time, she was opposed by one of her students, a unicorn filly named Scarlet Bell, who wanted to save her classmates from a "monster" despite her fear of getting killed by her own teacher. Scarlet Bell ultimately succeeded in her mission, but in the ensuing fight, a misfired spell would cause a great explosion and fire, marking her with burn scars for the rest of her life.
The second time happened years after Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker moved to the Grittish Isles to avoid the law and continue working in secret. An Earth pony filly named Midnight Bell, who turned out to be Scarlet Bell's grandniece, tried enrolling in her school after she was turned into a unicorn through a wish. But after Midnight admitted the truth and attempted to save face by lying about a young unicorn neighbor named Page Wheel being the "real" magical prodigy, Noble Grace had Page Wheel kidnapped and experimented on him, intending to turn the colt into an Alicorn that embodied Rebirth and Change. The unicorn trio Decepticolt, Zappityhoof, and Goldencap would also participate in the experiments, though it's only because they selfishly wanted to learn how to turn themselves into Alicorns. Unfortunately, the experiments would fail, and Page Wheel would become a monster that would devour any magic it could sense. As karmic payback, Noble Grace would become one of its first victims, draining her dry of magic until she was reduced to an elderly, powerless mare.
Ironically, it took Page Wheel dying at the hooves of Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses for him to Ascend into the Alicorn Noble Grace wanted, the magic he devoured reviving and healing him. But Noble Grace and Bubbling Beaker would be unable to enjoy the fruits of their labor as Scarlet Bell notified the authorities, who would arrest and move them back to Pferdia to be tried for their crimes, sealing their fates once and for all. The final nail in Noble Grace's coffin would be, instead of fulfilling the role as herald of a "new age" as she intended, Page Wheel would instead promote Rebirth and Change by helping others, having been encouraged by loved ones and benevolent individuals to forge his own path.
Despite going down a villain, she did do a good thing, as Temnobog, the Deer god of Evil, noted that even the evilest of actions can birth positive existence - without her, Crystal Prism wouldn't have come to being at all.
- Affably Evil: Her entry describes her personality as graceful and poised due to coming from a wealthy and educated background, but she's also a very nice, friendly, and open-minded teacher who encouraged her students to think for themselves and rise higher than what they are already capable of. She even believes that Ponykind has great potential, and genuinely wants to help everyone, including herself, become the best they can be. However, this means she genuinely saw nothing wrong with experimenting on other ponies, including her own students, if it'll help Ponykind reach godhood, proving that for all of her niceness and maternal character, she's actually a very insidious, hypocritical, and mentally/morally bankrupt pony whose cruel and horrific actions could never justify her good intentions.BrutalityInc: (in response to randomfan11's question) I like how insidious she is in both character and goals. You see her flaws in her personality and beliefs at first, but then you see how she seems to be not so bad in those flaws and had redeeming qualities. It disguises the inherent moral and mental bankruptcy behind everything she stands for and makes the hideousness of her actions when revealed have all the more impact in terms of the contrast. At the end of the day she's still a rotten villainess whose deeds can never justify her good intentions. And her knowledge and versatility in magic makes her truly dangerous.
- The Archmage: She's an incredibly powerful unicorn sorceress, mostly due to her wealthy background giving her access to higher education, and her voracious childhood desire to learn everything that she could. This along with her Affably Evil behavior is what makes her a truly dangerous person, since she wouldn't hesitate to attack and destroy anyone who opposes her and her beliefs despite her nice, encouraging, and friendly personality. It's noted in her entry that Scarlet Bell, one of her former students, feared getting injured or killed by her during a confrontation, but still did it anyway because her desire to save her classmates was stronger than her fear.
- Asshole Victim: While a genuinely nice and well-meaning unicorn mare, she did use her position as a teacher and headmistress to lure talented students into participating in her cruel experiments, while persuading her victims into believing in her good intentions. The first time literally blew up in her face, when one of said students, Scarlet Bell, caught on and confronted her to save her classmates, with a misfired spell causing a great fire. The second time resulted in her losing everything, including her magic and youth, and being publicly convicted as a criminal. Even Luminiferous agreed that her fate was appropriate, and had notably expressed clear anger towards her actions while showing her and Bubbling Beaker the potential they both squandered. However, this trope is played realistically in that no matter how many people want her dead, taking matters into one's hooves in the name of justice is considered equally accountable in the eyes of the law.Pferdian Pony judge: Considering how many animals and ponies she and her colleague had experimented on, the popular choice would have been to let the victims decide her fate. But cases like these is why we have the law - to bring justice to those who have harmed the innocent without resorting to measures that would make us no better than the criminals we punish.
- Blind Without 'Em: Implied; her entry notes that she had vision problems even as a filly, so she always wears a pair of red glasses to help her see.
- Brought Down to Normal: Her ultimate fate - after Page Wheel was corrupted and turned into a monster by her experiments, he would turn her into one of his first victims by devouring all of her inner magic reserves, leaving behind an elderly and completely powerless unicorn mare. Even Luminiferous agreed that it was an appropriate fate for her, after all she had done to others to fulfill a noble yet extremely lofty goal.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Madam Mumblechook. Both are very powerful sorceresses who know a large variety of magic, and are very nice and maternal teachers/headmistresses of magic schools where students are encouraged to be the best they can be. However, they are also morally and mentally bankrupt, and will not hesitate to experiment on young children for a greater good - Mumblechook seeks to turn everyone into godlike witches with unlimited magic, while Nobel Grace goes even further and seeks to create gods for a "new age".
- Children Are Special: Her main targets were pony foals and teenagers because their bright and curious minds meant they had greater potential compared to adults. She attempted to experiment on several of her own students for this reason, which motivated Scarlet Bell to stopping her when she was a filly. Years later, she would also kidnap and experiment on young Page Wheel upon falsely learning from Midnight Bell that he's a Child Prodigy. The fact that he ended up in a magical cocoon after turning into a magic-eating monster was proof to her that he had "so much potential! So much power!" Fortunately, Scarlet Bell put an end to her plans by literally preventing her from making off with his cocoon, and punching her former teacher in the face.
- Create Your Own Hero: In a way, she did succeed in creating Crystal Prism, even though it wasn't her experiments that led to him Ascending. Post-Ascension, Crystal Prism would go around promoting Change, though not in the way she intended, thanks to people encouraging him to forge his own path rather than follow someone else's whims.
- Deity of Human Origin: She seeks to invoke this by replicating the divine Ascension process, so she could turn all of Ponykind into Alicorns and bring in a "new age" for them. She would technically succeed with Crystal Prism, but Golden Scepter encouraged him to break free of his intended role and forge his own path instead.
- Evil Teacher: She's a very nice and well-meaning teacher and headmistress who encourages her students to think for themselves and rise above their own current capabilities. She also participates in horrible experiments with the purpose of turning Ponykind into Alicorns, and had lured many of her own students into said experiments by persuading them to believe her good intentions.
- Fantastic Slurs: She would angrily call Midnight Bell an "imposter unicorn" while scolding her for lying, after she found out how she became a unicorn and acquired her magic in the first place. She would regret this, and later admitted that had she known about the potential of Earth pony magic and pegasus magic, she would have gladly let Midnight Bell enroll in her magic school.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: She wears red glasses all the time because of the vision problems she had, even as a filly. She's also a morally and mentally bankrupt person whose genuine kind and maternal personality makes her actions all the more striking once she's exposed.
- Green Thumb: Implied, as her entry describes her as knowing plant magic.
- Hypocrite: Oh yes. This is what makes the inherent mental/moral bankruptcy in all that she does and believes in all the more striking once exposed.
- She encouraged her students to think for themselves, when she persuaded them to participate in her well-intentioned yet cruel experiments by making them believe that ultimately, her actions would result in something good in the end.
- She wanted her students, as well as Ponykind in general, to tap into their inner potential and rise above their current capabilities, but her experiments have possibly injured and even killed many foals and teenagers who took part in them, dashing their potential before they got the chance to fulfill it.
- High Collar of Doom: It's mentioned in her entry that she wears a classy, high-collared wizards cloak to show off her power and prestige as a headmistress of magical schools. However, she's a morally/mentally bankrupt mare who, while genuinely well-intentioned, was also willing to experiment on young foals and teenagers for a greater good.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Twice.
- She and Bubbling Beaker tried replicating the divine Ascension process by experimenting on their own students, wanting to allow Ponykind to become Alicorns. The disappearance of several classmates would motivate a young Scarlet Bell into opposing them despite her fear of getting killed in the process, and the ensuing fight would result in a great fire that destroyed their work and forced them to flee to the Grittish Isles in secret.
- Years later, she would try again, this time with a young unicorn colt named Page Wheel, after Midnight Bell, Scarlet Bell's grandniece, lied about him. This time, however, her actions ensure that she would lose everything, including her own magic at the hooves of a corrupted Page Wheel, leaving her a very elderly and completely powerless mare by the time she's arrested and tried for her crimes. In addition, she would be punched in the face by Scarlet Bell, now an elderly mare, and after her arrest, she would be visited by an enraged Luminiferous, who chewed her out while showing her the potential she had squandered.
- Making a Splash: As part of her vast magical knowledge, she knows water magic; one of its uses is that she can use to manifest a water version of herself (provided there's enough water for it).
- Motive Rant: Seeing Scarlet Bell oppose her again after so many years made her have an emotional breakdown, and indulged in this trope after her former student gave her a "The Reason You Suck" Speech.Noble Grace: You don't understand, Scarlet! Bubbly and I wanted to bring a FUTURE for Ponykind! One where everypony can live freely without fear of having their potential dashed by those who seek to kill or enslave them to their whims! And yet, YOU and that interfering FILLY of yours ignored our good intentions, only focusing on how 'wrong' our methods are! Now get out of my way! I need to see that cocoon!
Scarlet Bell: Not so fast, you old prune. You're not going ANYWHERE near Page Wheel, or my grandniece for that matter. Not while I still breathe.
Noble Grace: Please! It's extremely important for our research! I don't know how that colt ended up like that, but if he landed in such a state, that must mean he has so much potential! So much power! With a bit of tweaking, he's going to bring our people's salvation!
Scarlet Bell: A salvation built on the bodies of the foals and teenagers you ruined... You disgust me.
- Never My Fault: She firmly believes that both she and her colleague are in the right because the end-results of their experiments will be benevolent to Ponykind. Therefore, anyone who rightly opposes her actions as moral bankruptcy are in the wrong because they're ignoring the potential good she might do for them, as exemplified by her blaming Scarlet Bell and her grandniece, Midnight Bell, for screwing up her and Bubbling Beaker's work in a Codexverse exchange.
- Older Than They Look: Justified. It's noted in her entry that she's skilled in age-manipulation magic, an extremely difficult yet heavily-coveted skill among unicorns, making herself look far younger than her actual age and allowing her to continue staying in her prime. When a corrupted Page Wheel made her one of his first victims and drained all of her magic, she was reduced to her true age: An elderly and completely powerless unicorn mare.
- Playing with Fire: Implied, as her entry describes her as knowing fire magic.
- Purple Is Powerful: She has a deep purple mane and tail, and she's an incredibly powerful and intelligent sorceress, so much that Scarlet Bell, her former student, feared getting injured/killed in a confrontation with her. It's later averted; after a corrupted Page Wheel devoured all of her magic, she was reduced to a elderly and completely powerless mare.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: She would lose everything twice because of interference from the Bell family, specifically Scarlet Bell and her grandniece, Midnight Bell, because they opposed her well-meaning yet horrific actions - she lost the resources and notes to continue her experiments, lost the magic that kept her young and was also one of her greatest assets, and would end up being exposed as an untrustworthy and villainous adult in the eyes of the public because of the harm she had caused. And while her experiments did result in Page Wheel becoming an Alicorn, she would never be able to enjoy the fruits of her labors with her arrest, and her intentions of heralding a "new age" for Ponykind will ultimately be for naught as Page Wheel, now Crystal Prism, was encouraged to forge his own path and now encourages Rebirth and Change through helping people deal with stressful situations and improving themselves.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: She and Bubbling Beaker were mistakenly believed to be dead, after a fight with one of her students, Scarlet Bell, led to a misfired spell that created an explosion and fire. In reality, they both moved to the Grittish Isles to evade the law and continue their experiments, something that wouldn't be discovered until years later.
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else!: In contrast to the various divine and/or supernatural threats in Equus, she's just an ordinary, albeit magically powerful unicorn mare who has a day job as a teacher/headmistress of magic schools. What makes her so insidious and dangerous as a person is her staunch belief that what she's doing is ultimately for the greater good of Ponykind, and uses her students' trust and admiration of her to persuade them into believing her and participating in her cruel experiments. BrutalityInc sums up her character as a very insidious and mentally/morally bankrupt character who counters these flaws with positive traits that make her seem not so bad, making her actions much more horrific once they're exposed. Ultimately, she would be arrested and tried when Scarlet Bell called the police on her after the latter realized her former teachers were in the same country as her, and have harmed more foals, her neighbors' son, and possibly her own grandniece as well.
- Villainous Breakdown: According to witnesses, including Luminiferous and the Equestrian Princesses themselves, seeing her former student, Scarlet Bell, oppose her again after so many years caused her to have an "emotional breakdown", her rage bordering on madness. And after Scarlet gives her and Bubbling Beaker a well-deserved "The Reason You Suck" Speech, she goes into a Motive Rant about how she and her colleague wanted to give a "future" for Ponykind, and blames Scarlet Bell and her grandniece, Midnight Bell, for only focusing on the cruelty and moral bankrupcy of their methods and screwing up their plans. In short, she revealed herself as an insane mare who still clings to her own good intentions and uses them to justify her horrible actions in pursuit of a lofty goal.
- Villainous Legacy: It's stated in her entry that the legacy she and Bubbling Beaker left behind lies in Crystal Prism, who was intended to be their herald of a "new age" for Ponykind, and was left incredibly traumatized by the experiences he went through. Fortunately for him, various divine and mortal individuals would help him recover and encourage him to forge his own destiny.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Before her magic-draining and arrest, she was a very beloved teacher/headmistress who was a maternal figure for her students, and encouraged them to think for themselves and tap into their inner potential. She was also a member of the Alicorn Ascendancy, and she secretly performed horrific experiments in a well-intentioned attempt to give Ponykind divinity. But because she's so beloved by the education communities, no one took notice of her more unsavory activities until Scarlet Bell, and later her grandniece, Midnight Bell, would oppose and expose her.
- Visionary Villain: She believed in giving godhood to Ponykind, so they could rise above their current capabilities and change the world by doing great things. Her actions in achieving that goal, however, were horrific.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Deconstructed. She's a very nice, friendly, maternal, and encouraging mare who wants nothing more than her students, as well as Ponykind in general, to grow into their potential and rise above their current capabilities. She also joined the Alicorn Ascendancy because it would provide her opportunities to allow Ponykind's potential to foster - too many times she had witnessed great potential be stifled and ruined by racial, magical, and social barriers, as well as cruel and tyrannical authority figures. Unfortunately, her beliefs are so strong that she's willing to conduct horrifically cruel experiments to ensure that Ponykind enters a "new age" as Alicorns (with one of her victims being Page Wheel, now Crystal Prism) and makes people gloss over her wrongdoings by using her affable demeanor to persuade them in believing in the good that will ultimately come out of her actions. This makes her hypocrisy and insidiousness all the more striking once she's exposed as the rotten villainess she actually is.
- What the Hell, Hero?: She would angrily scold Midnight Bell for lying to her after the latter caved under stress and revealed the reason for her unicorn appearance and magic. While she did have a point, what didn't make it okay was her use of tribalist slurs like "imposter unicorn", which would contribute to Midnight Bell's low self-esteem. To Noble Grace's credit, though, she would later regret letting her own anger influence her, and stated that had she known about the potential of Earth pony and pegasus magic, she would have gladly let Midnight into her school regardless of her tribe. This would ultimately ring hollow, however, as she was willing to hurt Midnight for getting in the way between her and a cocooned Page Wheel.
- Would Hurt a Child: Many of her victims were pony foals and teenagers because in her eyes, they are brighter and hold much more potential than they do as adults. Years ago, she experimented on a young Scarlet Bell's classmates, motivating the latter to try save them from her despite her fear of getting killed by her own teacher. In the present day, after moving to the Grittish Isles, she would experiment on a young Page Wheel, leading to his Ascension as Crystal Prism, though ironically it wouldn't be the experiments that did it. She also tried harming Midnight Bell for trying to defend Page Wheel from her while he was cocooned, but thankfully Scarlet Bell intervened at the right time.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In her case, a deep purple mane and tail.
Professor Bubbling Beaker
An Earth pony stallion, and Noble Grace's assistant, friend, and colleague.
- Alliterative Name: Bubbling Beaker.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Dr. Dee. Both are incredibly intelligent, and are respected teachers and scientists. But they are also morally/mentally bankrupt people who wouldn't hesitate to perform cruel and unethical experiments for a greater good - Dr. Dee seeks to turn everyone into godlike witches with unlimited magic, while Bubbling Beaker goes even further and seeks to create gods for a "new age".
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: He and Noble Grace were mistakenly believed to be dead, after a fight with a student, Scarlet Bell, led to a misfired spell that created an explosion and fire. In reality, they both moved to the Grittish Isles to evade the law and continue their experiments, something that wouldn't be discovered until years later.
- Villainous Legacy: It's stated in Noble Grace's entry that the legacy they both left behind lies in Crystal Prism, who was intended to be their herald of a "new age" for Ponykind, and was left incredibly traumatized by the experiences he went through. Fortunately for him, various divine and mortal individuals would help him recover and encourage him to forge his own destiny.
- Visionary Villain: He believed in giving godhood to Ponykind, so they could rise above their current capabilities and change the world by doing great things. In addition, he believed that the experiments would result in enhanced mental capabilities, allowing Ponykind to make advancements in society. His actions in achieving that goal, however, were horrific.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Much like his friend and colleague, Noble Grace, he also believed in helping Ponykind grow into their potential, and hoped that their experiments would result in enhanced mental capabilities that would give Ponykind higher intelligence and allow them to do great things.