Arok is a 15-year-old homo sapien living in the Paleolithic period. One day in early spring while out hunting, Arok is chased into a cave by a lioness, which he managed to keep out by rolling a huge rock in front of the cave entrance. Before the lioness showed up, Arok saw a strange symbol above the cave mouth that reminded him of Klem, a painter and shaman who could communicate with spirits through his work.
Either way, now Arok needs to find a safe way out of the cave. From there, he begins a quest that will see him play a role in human history.
The game was released on July 5th, 2005.
Echo: Secrets Of The Lost Cavern contains examples of:
- Bears Are Bad News: One puzzle involves how to get rid of a bear so Arok can progress through a cave. The puzzle plays out on a cave wall painting. Messing up on the puzzle will cause the drawing of the bear to attack the drawing of the person.
- Been There, Shaped History: Arok ends up being one of the painters behind the drawings in Lascaux.
- Crafted From Animals: Arok makes a spear sling out of an antler that he finds in the first cave.
- Facial Markings: Toar has little red paint markings on his face.
- Flashback: A couple occur in the beginning of the game. They're Arok's memories of Klem.
- Living Drawing: Lots of the cave wall drawings seen in the game move of their own volition. This is likely the work of the spirits communicating.
- P.O.V. Cam: The game is viewed from Arok's P.O.V.