open/close all folders
Nations of the Baltic
- The Cutie: Usually is considered one out of universe but she can be one in-universe as well.
- The Ditz: Can be very slow to comprehend things.
- Dark and Troubled Past: All Baltics kind of have dark pasts due to the abuse they suffered under Soviet Union's rule, but Estonia gets a special mention— she has went through oppression by various regional powers and worked for them for centuries. She enjoys a brief period of independence before getting re-annexed again by Soviet Union, and only managed to regain it decades later.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Has a long-standing crush for Finland that the latter usually ignores.
- Fanboy: Is one in regards to NATO. Also the Nordics.
- Flaw Exploitation: She exploits Finland's alcoholism by making him drunk on Estonian vodka so that he'll allow her to tag along to Nordic meetings.
- Hollywood Atheist: One of the most atheist countries around; her Dark and Troubled Past mentioned above has led her into giving up on religion.
- In-Series Nickname: Eesti.note
- e-Stonia, although it is much rarer than the above and is more often used by fans.
- I Just Want To Be Nordic: One of Estonia's most recurring character traits is a desire to be considered one of the Nordic countriesnote .
- Morality Pet: To Finland. She tends to bring out his warmer side.
- The Power of Love: Her superpower, according to this comic◊.
- Stepford Smiler: Back during her days as a Soviet republic, she pretends to smile and be friends with the Soviet Union to avoid further abuse, even though in reality she resents him.
- Thicker Than Water: Averted. Although she still cares about them, Estonia usually tends to be aloof from Latvia and Lithuania.
- Commonality Connection: Averted and inverted. Despite both being obsessed with potatoes, Latvia and Belarus seldom (if ever) interact, let alone strike up a friendship. See The Rival for Ireland's case.
- The Dog Bites Back: After years of abuse at the hands of the Soviet Union, Latvia snaps and joins Nazi Germany. Subverted later as he gets re-annexed by Soviet Union, and stayed his slave until his collapse.
- The Generic Guy: Lithuania is most closely aligned with Central Europe of the Baltics, Estonia is most closely aligned with the Nordics of the Baltics, which leaves Latvia as the most Baltic of the Baltics. Which leaves him with Russia...
- Identical Stranger: Bears a strong resemblance to Austria.
- Kick the Dog: Most of his endeavours for potatoes usually ends in failure.
- The Rival: Ireland. They have been known to compete fiercely for ownership of potatoes.
- Those Wacky Nazis: It appears that he still has a soft spot for them, as shown in this comic◊.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He loves his potato, but it's usually taken away by bigger nations. This love sometimes becomes a little less innocent.
- The Dreaded: Used to be one. Germany and Prussia still look upon him warily from when he was the last pagan nation of Europe.
- The Eeyore: Is portrayed as depressive and occasionally suicidal because of his high suicide rate. It may also be due to hanging out with Finland, who shares his nihilistic beliefs with him.
- Hot-Blooded: When he is not depressed, he is by far the most hot-blooded of the Baltics.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Whenever he helps Poland in one of his space schemes, he is less likely to mess up than the latter and has a clearer idea of what he is doing.
- Only Sane Man: With Latvia being crazy for potatoes and Estonia being lovesick for Finland, this leaves Lithuania as the sanest of the Baltics.
- We Used to Be Friends: While they aren't (usually) outright enemies, it is evident that the days of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth have long passed. Their relationship appears to have been soured due to Poland attempting to recapture Vilnius multiple times.
Nations of the British Isles
- Chromatic Arrangement: The colours that make up all or part of the flags for the Gaelic territories (Mann is red, Scotland is blue and Ireland is green).
- Dysfunctional Family
- Nice Hat: Beside UK's iconic top hat, England occasionally dons a flat cap, and Scotland often wears a tam o' shanter.
The United Kingdom
- British Stuffiness: He tends to be aloof in most situations.
- Berserk Button: Do not cut off his tea supply. Do not overcook his tea. Do not undercook his tea. Do not destroy or waste his tea. And for heaven's sake, do not imply coffee is superior to tea. Noticing a pattern yet?
- Also don't violate neutrality. One particular example is his reaction after Germany (as the German Empire) violated Belgium's neutrality in World War I.
- Catch Phrase: "U WOT m8?" (see Football Hooligans below)
- "Britannia rules the waves!"
- Composite Character: England, Scotland and Wales usually appear as the UK, although England tends to dominate the union and they are therefore often conflated for convenience.
- Football Hooligans: And not just about football. When he enters war, he is either an Officer and a Gentleman... or he curses like a sailor, hammers at people ferociously, and commits genocide/atrocities.
- Hidden Depths: He used to (and still can) rock a guitar.
- High-Class Glass: Never seen (in modern times) without his gold monocle and chain, and is only seen without them when he is poor or broke.
- Officer and a Gentleman: Some scenes show him as this in war, standing stoically against opposition in majestic poses.
- Odd Friendship: With Portugal.
- Perilous Old Fool: Doesn't always realize that he isn't up to being the top world power anymore. Sometimes is put in a retirement home by the rest of the Anglosphere.
- The Power of Rock: Some comics bring up his history in rock, even impressing his son once.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Along with his stovepipe hat and monocle, he tends to use Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness and behaves like a gentleman in general.
- Retired Badass: Played with. He kicked ass back in the day, he still does it now... but there's a difference between being the worlds greatest industrial power and being a power that is, nevertheless, back to 1.5 of an island and significantly dwarfed by USA, China, and Russia.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Eventually gets fed up with the European Union and votes to leave it.
- Serious Business: Created and ran his empire for the sole purpose satisfying his demand for tea. Some might say it was to spread civilization, or for the power, but lets not kid ourselves, it was all about the tea.
- Stiff Upper Lip: He patented it; he has it. It saw him through hundreds of wars and disasters, and it will continually see him through.
- Vague Age: Is usually portrayed as an old senior with the colonies as his adult children, despite being around the same age or even younger than other country balls that aren't portrayed as particularly old.
- Vitriolic Best Friends: He and France haven't forgotten all the years of fighting... but they're staunch allies now, and admit that with the other as a rival and companion, they can always find hope in their competition and cooperation.
- He is this with any of his allies really.
- The Alcoholic: One of his favorite things is beer. Need to take a guess?
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's always raring for a fight with UK, to mixed results.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He is pretty wealthy and stable (apart from his debt issues with Germany) earning the title 'Celtic Tiger' and his HDI is also one of the highest, despite the fact that he is often seen drunk.
- The Chew Toy: Got bullied by England before independence.
- Composite Character: An interesting case. Ireland may be treated as either or both of Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. The former may appear as an individual or as part of a different composite character, although when he is not instead a part of UK the flag he uses is a point of contention.
- Fighting Irish
- Friendly Enemy: With UK. Their relationship is very complicated, especially because UK refused to help him during the potato famine— but Ireland still pretty much relies on him with trade.
- Sixth Ranger: Is not actually part of the UK, except for Northern Ireland, but often tags along.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Potato. The potato famine left him in a state of Nothing but Skin and Bones. He also has had clashes with Latvia as to who is the true master of potato.
Nations of Western Europe
- Abusive Parents: Suffice to say, he... Isn't a very good father to his colonies. Essentially all of his sons have harbored resentment for him, and they have experienced genocides at points of their life.
- Is little Congo alright, though? See for yourself◊.
- Butt-Monkey: He is mocked as being "not a real nation".
- Collector of the Strange/Creepy Souvenir: Collects chopped-off hands, a holdover from the days of ruling over Belgian Congo.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: WWI and WWII turned him into a warzone without his permission.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Netherlands.
- Karma Houdini: No one ever seems to bring up his atrocious colonial past, which spares him from any sort of reputation as The Dreaded whereas other countries like Germany have been ostracized for crimes that they apologized for or are no where near as bad.
- Neutrality Backlash: He tried to be neutral during both world wars, but he still gets invaded by Germany in both times.
- Retired Monster: He's a civilised, kind-hearted, typical Western European. Just don't ask him what he used to get up to in his African colony.
- Split Personality: May be subject to this due to the high tension between his Dutch-speaking Flanders and French-speaking Wallonia.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Waffles and chocolate.
- Token Evil Teammate: This takes some doing in a work when Comedic Sociopathy is the norm, although this trait only appears in portrayals of modern-day Belgium for the purposes of punchlines.
"Shouldn't you be working?"
"No. I am strike. Such injustice."
- Butt-Monkey: Nowhere as bad as some of the other examples, but he often gets the short end of the stick due to some particular reasons.
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: Played With. France is often the butt of jokes of this kind (and YMMV on whether they're justified), but it's worth the other countryballs' whiles (especially UK) to remember that The So-Called Coward can be formidable.
- Happily Married: Fem!France is portrayed married to Germany and the mother of the EU, and the relationship is stable if not always friendly.
- Glory Days: Is rather nostalgic about Napoleon's reign.
- French Cuisine Is Haughty: This serves as the basis for his Cultural Posturing towards Italy - he believes that French cuisine is more refined than the latter's.
- French Jerk: Can be rather arrogant and narcissistic sometimes.
- Insistent Appellation: Insists on calling UK "Rosbif"
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: His infamous surrender in World War II, as well as his losses afterwards are this to him.
- Only Sane Man: Takes up this role when Germany isn't available.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not eyes, but the Oriflamme. Seen during the defense against Denmark's Vikings, the end of the Hundred Years' War, the Resistance against the Vichy and Nazis
- Smoking Is Glamorous: Presumably why he is often drawn smoking a cigarette.
- Supreme Chef: Believes himself to be this and actually lives up to it.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: ...but sometimes this isn't the case.
- Retired Bad Ass: He has had a lot of military victories◊ in the past but almost no one remembers them now.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Possesses a military about as powerful as Germany's, and after ISIS' attacks on Paris, they are going to war once more.
- Tsundere: Type A towards the UK.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Averted; in fact he more or less acts like an annoyed younger sibling to his brothers Netherlands and Belgium, often finding himself confused with their antics.
- Being Good Sucks: Averted. Despite being very liberal to the point it nears Sweden's levels, he almost never gets the mockery that came with it. May have something to do with the fact that he can't into relevants.
- Berserk Button: Being called French, German, or Belgian.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: To both Netherlands and Belgium, as he is often drawn smaller compared to them.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He is obsessed with becoming relevant and generally has a no-nonsense and dry attitude. Nevertheless Luxembourg is more or less as liberal and tolerant as Sweden, and he even allows immigrants to come to his country without any hesitation, which naturally drew many arguments between him and Hungary.
- Identical Stranger: He bears a striking resemblance to Netherlands when he was still the Dutch Republic.
- I Just Want To Be Relevant
- The Napoleon: Thinks he can into relevants. He can't.
- Perpetual Frowner: He does smile time to time, but it's still present. He is often shown as being serious and focused in comics, which results in him seldom smiling.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: He is tiny, and is often forgotten to the point he wants to become relevant so badly, but he is one of the richest countries in the world, and is often shown with a lot of money besides him.
- Uncle Pennybags: Has far more money than even "Germoney".
- Big Guy, Little Guy: The Little Guy to France's Big Guy.
- Cool Shades: Often drawn wearing one to differentiate him from Indonesia and Poland, and also to symbolize his richness.
- The Rival: With Luxembourg, competing in terms of wealth.
- Uncle Pennybags: He might be small, but he is very rich.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While he is mostly harmless, he does have his dangerous moments when he is provoked, as shown in this comic◊. Also see Retired Monster below.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He is shown smoking weed and getting high in most of his appearances (even sometimes showing characteristics of The Ditz due to it) and other countries often mock him because of it, but he is actually pretty wealthy and has successfully defended his clay against the ocean.
- Came Back Wrong: Sometimes, he will get into an accident and then get turned into a personality-wise more aggressive country. Cases◊ in point.◊
- The Ditz: Whenever he smokes weed, this trope is zigzagged— most of the time, he avoids showing symptoms of this trope, but at other times he just flat-out shows the characteristics of a ditz, as shown here◊.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Belgium.
- Nice Guy: His addiction for weed aside, he has a pretty laid-back personality and is generally friendly to most countries.
- Retired Monster: Nowhere near his neighbor Belgium's levels, but he also used to be pretty ruthless in his colonial days, but is now more or less a harmless, albeit weed-smoking Nice Guy.
- The Stoner: Often has pinkish eyes and a bong.
- Why Did It Have To Be Water?: Has major problems with water and is often shown to have a deep-seated fear for it, mostly because his clay is under the water for most of the time. It doubles as a rather touchy subject for him in some portrayals.
- One particular moment◊ shows him refusing to take a bath because of his fear for water.
"Sorry, I'm neutrality. Only zing I can do is taking care of your money."
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Sometimes has this dynamic with Austria.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: When Switzerland starts to sneeze, be sure to keep your distance.◊
- The Medic: Frequently takes this role as a result of founding the international red cross movement.
- Neutrality Backlash: Mostly averted, although some◊ portrayals◊ show him being extremely confused about simple questions due to his neutrality.
- Nice Guy: Played with. Although he can come off as cold and unemotional sometimes, he is usually very polite and reasonable. Due to his neutrality, he has a very short list of enemies and is pretty friendly towards almost everyone and in turn, virtually almost nobody hates him.
- Pass the Popcorn: Enjoys watching other nations go to war from the safety of the Alps.
- Private Military Contractors: A few comics reference his pre-World War I past, during which he was a mercenary— and an extremely talented one at that.
- The Stoic: Usually doesn't show any strong emotions, due to him having no strong feelings towards either sides.
- Team Switzerland: His defining characteristic.
- Often portrayed as a referee because of this.
- Walking Armoury: He may be neutral but he has a shitload of weapons to protect him should anybody try to invade.
- Workaholic: At least on Germany's level. In some comics, he actually surpasses Germany in this regard!
Nations of Central Europe
- The Atoner: All you need to know.
- Berserk Button: Has several, such as Poland being stupid and Greece not paying his debts.
- Whatever you do, never, EVER call him a Nazi.
- Catch Phrase: "Wörk!"
- "PAY DEBTS" to Greece at least.
- Composite Character: Modern Germany has combined the traits of his previous incarnations (with the obvious exception of Nazi). He has German Empire's love for efficiency, Holy Roman Empire's love for culture and West Germany's love for austerity and The European Union. Upon reuniting with East Germany, he gained a secret Bond Villain side for world domination and Prussia's need to create a new Reich.
- The Cynic: He is noticeably serious and cynical, due to his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Suffered two big mental breakdowns as both Reichtangle and Nazi Germany in both world wars, and then was split into two countries in the Cold War, which conducts severe profound impacts on how he acts today.
- The Dreaded: Is this to Greece, and sometimes the other heavily indebted EU members such as Spain and Portugal, since he's constantly forcing them to pay their EU debts.
- Empty Eyes: When he sports small beady white eyes, it's a visual cue that either in anschluss mode or about to turn into the Reichtangle.
- Future Me Scares Me: Modern day Germany honestly doesn't want the Reichtangle to emerge, but he may not have a choice.
- Germanic Depressives: Mention the Holocaust and he'll start feeling guilty again. This has been exploited many times by other countries, usually Greece or Israel, to give them money. He has also been shown to not understand jokes easily.
- Germanic Efficiency: He loves to work... and is great at it. When they exiled him to Siberia to work, he didn't think much of it.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Unfortunately for him, he's also the Only Sane Man. Seeing Poland do something extremely stupid may even trigger his Reichtangle form.
- Hidden Depths: The existence of Reichtangle imply some rather nasty traits within him.
- I Hate Past Me: In contrast to other countries who miss their glory days (Norway with his viking days, France with the Napoleon reign, Russia with the Soviet Union, etc.), he is more than happy with his current self and loathes his past selves to the pulp. ESPECIALLY Nazi Germany.
- The Man Behind the Man: Similar to how Angela Merkel in Real Life is seen as the leader of the EU, Germany is pretty much pushing EU's agenda. Little does EU know that West Germany's reunification with his brother, East Germany, has caused him to obsess over creating a new reich through debts.
- Mean Boss: Is one due to his strict attitude towards wörk. He is very stern towards the other EU members and can get frustrated easily when they become uncooperative.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: His current decisions and EU obsessions are played off Angela Merkel's Real Life policies. The whole take over the world via EU thing he developed after reuniting with East Germany is based on the joke and fear that Merkel is using West German styled economics and Stasi intelligence tactics to create a 4th Reich, given that Merkel's East German origins are a source of jokes.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: Nazi Germany and the Second World War are forever a big black mark on him, causing constant complications ranging from awkward dinner conversations to downright paranoia on those he had previously conquered.
- Only Sane Man: Is usually the voice of reason when everyone else refuses to listen. Unless he's the crazy one himself.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Oh, yeah. From the Cherusci and the Franks to the Teutonic Knights and Prussia, all the way to the World Wars and the Modern Day. He's always truly been characterised by his military, and diplomacy is really only a fairly new thing to him. Even now, whenever Fem!France is sleeping, he takes little EU off to secretly plot invasions against their enemies◊.
- A recent portrayal inverts this, showing him as being weak in terms of military and afraid of causing another war. It's meant to mirror the Real Life country's reluctance to use its small army.
- Played straight ever since the Russian intervention in Crimea. He has the raw industrial power to rearm himself on a moment's notice, and he has already been readying his standing defenses heavily. He remembers well where he came from.
- Retired Monster: He used to be known for industrial genocide and attempted domination of Europe. Now he's the EU's leader and tax collector.
- Super OCD: He strongly believes in Ordnung and tries his best to follow the rules as closely as possible.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Reichtangle is this to him.◊ Virtually the entire world fears the day when a new German Reich will emerge.
- Take Over the World: This was the mantra of his past three Reich incarnations. Reuniting with State Sec obsessed East Germany in comics has caused him to develop a new need to do so once more, this time with the EU and debts rather than armies.
- Uncle Pennybags: Greece frequently asks him for (and gets) large amounts of money.
- Workaholic: Overlaps with Germanic Efficiency. Is he so good at work because he likes it so much? Or did he fall in love with working ever since he became good at it?
- Affably Evil: Often portrayed as very reasonable and friendly, even in those comics where he's evil incarnate.
- Herr Doktor: As the birthplace of Sigmund Freud, he often acts as a psychologist for other countries.
- Insane Troll Logic: Often utilizes this when diagnosing his patients.
- Karma Houdini: Foists all blame for Nazism on Germany.
- Mad Doctor: On a good day he is helpful. On a bad day◊...
- Manipulative Bastard: Unlike cousin Germany, Austria has a centuries-long history of political maneuvering. He's very good at getting other countrys to do what he wants.
- Psycho Psychologist
- Psycho Supporter: Was one for Nazi Germany and would very much like to join him should he become powerful again. He's also the only country besides Kazakhstan that's typically unafraid of Reichtangle.
- Super Doc: He only owns a degree in psychology and a rather questionable one at that, yet he's usually the go-to mental doctor in the Polandball universe.
- Torture Cellar: Owns one. If you ever end up in there, you're pretty much screwed.
- Berserk Button: Mistaking him with Chechnya.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: When drunk.
- Fair Weather Friend: But when bad things affect Poland, he'll rather not get involved.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Poland. No gender, of course.
- His Own Worst Enemy: He has a rather small list of enemies, but it has been stated that his worst enemy is himself, especially when drunk.
- Nice Guy: He is a very reserved and friendly guy. A good example of this is his good relationship with Slovakia despite the dissolution, and how he cares deeply about his son Liberland.
- Odd Friendship: His friendship with Poland could count, given they have rather different temperments and he doesn't share Poland's fervent Catholicism. And yet throughout history, even back in the days of the Hussite Wars, they often found ways to help each other.
- Self-Deprecation: He is rather adamant of murmuring about his own faults.
- Trademark Favourite Drink: Loves beer.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: On good terms with Slovakia; loves to exchange insults with her.
- Berserk Button: Trianon, full stop. He still hates France for it. Also, don't call him Slav or Mongol.
- He also dislikes immigrants, and he is by far the most open about opposing mass immigration in Europe.
- Black Sheep: Gets a lot of flack for being most "Asian" of Central Europe. Sometimes called a Mongol. He is not a fan of it.
- Broken Ace: He is a genius who has invented a lot of things, as well as various successes in many departments. However, the Treaty of Trianon deeply affects him and he is still bitter about it to this day.
- Friendly Enemy: Hates Romania and would get revenge on him for stealing his clay at any possible moment, yet they are often seen hanging out together.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Poland. Also, formerly with Austria.
- No Social Skills: His social records are... Not that good, to say at least. He is pretty isolated and has no close relatives in Europe, and his relationships with various other European countries are kind of rocky particularly because of Trianon. Poland is by far the only nation Hungary is shown to be at very good terms with.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Never hesitates to brag about his military history, from the Huns to the Magyars.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Romania, thanks to Trianon and their woes over Szekelyland and Transylvania.
- The Smart Guy: 'Natch. He has a lot of successes and created a lot of inventions that are used by a lot of countries nowadays.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Goulash, but failing that he'll eat anything with paprika in it.
- Sometimes he just eats paprika◊ full stop.
- Actual Pacifist: Currently does not have an army and is a neutral country like Switzerland.
- Out of Focus: Doesn't receive as much focus as the other countryballs on this page.
- The Rival: To Czech Republic, due to competing over the ownership of his castles.
- Those Two Guys: Usually appears alongside Switzerland.
- Artistic License History: He historically DID into space, but this is discarded for Rule of Funny in the series.
- Audience Surrogate: Usually takes up this role due to being The Hero.
- Back from the Dead: Presumably his superpower, which activates whenever his national anthem is played. It may explain how he was able to survive the partitions.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Makes up in ferocity what he lacks in power. Occasionally, he's even knocked out stronger nations who've offended him.
- Butt-Monkey: Far, far too often. Other countries, especially Germany and Russia, find it easy to take advantage of his simpleton nature. Doesn't help that he often lost much of his land to hostile nations.
- Catch Phrase: "Kurwa!"
- Cosmic Plaything: The universe seriously does not like the idea of Poland going to space. Every attempt to do so would always end in failure. He doesn't give up, though.
- Cute and Psycho: Generally portrayed as a woobie who is bullied by far more powerful nations but has been known to beat up Russia when in a bad mood. Also seems to enjoy calling other countries "whores" in Polish, "kurwa" means "whore" in some Slavic languages
- Determinator: See Cosmic Plaything above and Iron Butt Monkey below.
- The Ditz: He isn't very smart, to say the least. He often falls for other countries' cheap tricks.
- Ethnic Menial Labour: Works for the UK, usually as a plumber. He tends to carry a plunger with him.
- Future Badass: In some continuities, he will invent the Space Hussars.
- The Hero: Is the supposed protagonist as his name is right there in the title, although it's subject to change as other countries get their turns.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Owing to a very high Catholic population. He immediately takes action whenever he (mis)construes something as pertaining to "gender" ideology.
- Improbable Weapon User: Sometimes fights with a toilet plunger.
- Innocently Insensitive: Has a absolutely tiny non-white population, which leads to him freaking out when he first sees an African, who he thinks is the devil.
- Insistent Terminology: Gay people are "gender".
- Iron Butt Monkey: He was partitioned by the Russian Empire, the Austrian Empire and Prussia and managed to recover from it. During WWII, he was invaded and was partitioned again by Nazi Germany and the USSR. He was able to come back on both counts.
- Manchild: Despite being almost a hundred years old (if one discounts his earlier incarnations), he is often portrayed as being childish. His naivety and idealism may also be turned Up to Eleven.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Poland (or "Polan") is almost always drawn upside-down (ie. red over white). Drawing him correctly is considered "cancer" and is prohibited on r/Polandball.
- The original artist probably drew the Polish flag incorrectly in his first few strips. The depiction caught on quickly due to it drawing ire from Polish users, and the rest is history.
- Only Friend: To Hungary. He is the only nation who doesn't get into arguments with him at regular basis, and they have been best friends for centuries.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Every Polish stereotype turned Up to Eleven. Being strongly Catholic and ethnically homogeneous, he often comes off as bigoted to others.
- Retired Badass: Used to be the country of the mighty Winged Hussars◊. Since the World Wars, it has gotten stomped again and again.
- Running Gag: His inability to get into space.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: His catchprhase is a common Polish swear word.
- Sticky Fingers: As per the traditional joke "Come to Poland! Your car's already here!".
- Trade Mark Favourite Food: Pierogi.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Poland and Germany have had a quite painful history with each other and still hassle with each other in the present day sometimes. However, since Germany underwent a major change in himself and apologized for his crimes, the two have experienced a closer relationship than they would ever be in the past, with Germany often giving monies to Poland as one of the forms of the apologies for his crimes.
- Amicable Exes: Is still on good terms with Czech Republic after the Velvet Divorce, though it is rather vitriolic.
- Eyepatch of Power: Received this as a result of a freak accident during the dissolution.
- Out of Focus: Doesn't receive as much focus as the other countryballs on this page.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: She's sometimes bitter that her neighbors have always had more political clout than she has.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Hungary. They still had woes over the Treaty of Trianon, but they are both members of the Visegrad group and have the same opinion about immigrants.
- Also, with Czech Republic.
- Volleying Insults: She and Czech Republic love to do this to each other.
Nations of Eastern Europe
- Abhorrent Admirer: It is difficult to judge the attractiveness of countryballs, but Russia's reactions to him suggest this is in effect.
- Call to Agriculture: Loves farming potatoes.
- Catchphrase: "Bulba bulba."
- Dogged Nice Guy: Is one towards Russia. The former desperately wants to be with the latter, who doesn't return his feelings due to his Heteronormative Crusader status. This doesn't stop Belarus from trying to convince Russia to anschluss him back.
- Glory Days: Dearly misses the Soviet Union.
- Happiness in Slavery: Has no idea how to handle being independent, having always been a subject of Poland, Lithuania, Poland-Lithuania, or Russia until recently.
- A Love to Dismember: Seen here.◊ Belarus keeps the heart of his beloved Soviet Union in a jar.
- Nuclear Nasty: Was on the receiving end of 70 per cent of the fallout from the Chernobyl disaster, which occasionally causes him problems. Often shown as having three eyes.
- The Rival: Ukraine, who keeps stealing his pigs.
- Satellite Character: His detractors often denounce him as this, and call him a puppet of Russia.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Seems to be the reason for his attachment to Russia.
- Yandere: His attachment to Russia sometimes borders this.
- The Alcoholic: She sure drinks a lot, as she is one of the countries with the highest consumption of alcohol per capita in the world. Not that she doesn't have a good reason to, though...
- Butt-Monkey: Her reputation as the poorest country in Europe has not gone unnoticed. And then there is the whole deal with Transnistria and Gagauzia ...
- The Eeyore: Her neighbours don't care that much about her, Transnistria and Gagauzia keep demanding independence, her economy is doing poorly... Is it any surprise that she ranks low on the Happy Planet Index?
- Happily Married: Is portrayed this way with Romania, who is amongst one of those who care about her a lot.
- Split Personality: She suffers a pretty bad one, due to Transnistria. The reason? See for yourself.◊
- The Rival: Has a bit of a hassle with Ukraine, thanks to him stripping away her coast.
"xaxaxa polan i am trick yuoo"
- Abusive Parents: He essentially takes on the role of a drunken, abusive father to the other East European countries, especially in his USSR days.
- The Alcoholic: While he's always liked his vodka, since he stopped being the USSR he spends most of his time in a drunken stupor, trying to relive his past glories.
- Always Someone Better: He fears that America is this to him... but will admit it to only a select few.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Famous for passing anti-gay legislature after anti-gay legislature... yet, seems to be having urges of his own◊.
- The Dreaded: Has been feared by many countries throughout history. His actions in modern times hasn't helped his image either.
- He's essentially the only character Polandball has to a fully fledged central antagonist, given his consistent portrayal as a sociopath. You'll be hard pressed to find comics where he isn't a Jerkass.
- Freudian Excuse: Sometimes specifically cited as the Mongol invasions, but he's had plenty of traumatic episodes to choose from.
- The Gadfly: Tricking Poland has become one of his favourite hobbies.
- Glory Days: Sees the USSR as this. As of the recent Ukrainian Crisis, it seems that he wants to relive those days.
- Heteronormative Crusader: He really doesn't like the homogays. But then again...
- Husky Russkie: Often drawn significantly larger than other countryballs in the same comic.
- Large and in Charge: Is consistently drawn the biggest out of the countryballs and holds much power.
- Laughably Evil: Presumably why his most common depiction is that of a violent sociopath. His manner of speaking combined with his unrepentant behaviour can make him a quite funny character.
- Lonely at the Top: Is often depicted as having no friends or close relationships. If a country is weaker than he, he'll treat it as a slave, and if it's more equal to him in strength (such as America), it becomes his rival.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Strong enough to meet America head-to-head.
- Only Friend: China's the only country that he's not actively hostile to, possibly because they're very similar in terms of their personalities. They occasionally share friendship moments together.
- Averted in recent situations, since the nations of the Euraisan Union (Armenia, Belarus and Kazakhstan) and anyone else against America (like Iran or Venezuela) might count. Heck, he might have even convinced Greece to abandon his usual pro west position.
- Vodka Drunkenski: Russia drinks vodka a lot.
- Weapon of Choice: A hammer and a sickle, or a Kalashnikov rifle.
- Why Did It Have To Be Mongolia?: Is absolutely terrified of Mongolia because the latter was able to successfully invade him.
- Same with Finland because of the Winter War. Although he (as the USSR) WON the conflict, he took so much damage from Finland that he's still paranoid about him today.
- Arch-Enemy: Russia, in the wake of the Ukrainian Crisis.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets a lot of physical abuse in comics, and has suffered a lot of problems as well.
- Designated Victim: Has become this as of late.
- Et Tu, Crimea?
- Half The Countryball He Used To Be: See Split Personality below. Sometimes Ukraine starts a comic split in half.
- Nuclear Nasty: Despite most of the radiation fallout affecting Belarus, it didn't treat him so well either.
- The Rival: Belarus. It's a constant race between the two.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Also with Belarus, as the degrees of their desire for being independent and view of Russia in general couldn't be more different.
- Super Speed: Ukraine has shown spectacular bursts of speed when relieving Belarus of his pigs.
- Split Personality: The pro-Russian and pro-EU parts of Ukraine threaten (and sometimes manage) to tear him in half.
- Trade Mark Favourite Food: Salo. But unfortunately, it looks like he's out of pigs so he would have to steal some.
Nations of the Iberian Peninsula
- Butt-Monkey: They get picked a lot in comics.
- Take a Third Option: They chose the neutral ground in both World Wars, even though Spain has a brutal civil war during the second one.
- Arch-Enemy: Catalonia. Their animosity towards each other stems from the fact that he keeps on demanding independence from Spain.
- This dynamic is an odd example out of all the Polandball examples of this trope, since it involves a nation against its own region.
- Ax-Crazy: Back during his days as Francoist Spain.
- Berserk Button: UK's refusal to Gib-raltar.
- Body Horror: Due to his constant problems with separatists, he is often the object of this trope.
- Bold Explorer: Discovered the Americas.
- Dashing Hispanic: With good reason.
- Eyepatch of Power: His coat of arms is sometimes drawn this way.
- Glory Days: Still longs for the days of the Spanish Empire when he wasn't poor.
- Lazy Bum: He would rather take a siesta than work.
- Manchild: Is often portrayed and described as such.
- Perpetual Frowner: Not to Finland's extent, but he does frown a lot, mostly due to his debt issues with Germany and separatism.
- Retired Badass: Used to be the most powerful empire of the world at some point, before the UK took his place.
- Riches to Rags: He was once one of the most powerful empires on Earth, owning most of the American continent and some of other territories overseas. Now, he is one of the countries constantly asking Germany to give monies along with Greece, Ireland and Portugal. And then there are the separatist movements...
- The Rival: With Netherlands in regards of football matches in World Cup. He also occupied his territory for a while, chalking up the relationship.
- Sleepy Head: He is shown to be sleeping in a lot of comics to emphasize his Lazy Bum trait.
- Smarter Than You Look: Some of his plans◊ of getting back at Catalonia for rebelling against him are downright impressive, considering he acts immature and grouchy most of the time.
- Those Two Guys: With Portugal.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Is associated with paella.
- Always Second Best: Feels this way due to Spain overshadowing him in terms of relevancy.
- Butt-Monkey: Ever since the famous comic made by /u/FVBLT Portugal◊, both in-universe nations and Polandball fans have loved dumping on the "worthless shit-rectangle".
- Doting Parent: Towards East Timor and Macau.
- The Eeyore: Downplayed in the fact that he's not depressed, just melancholic.
- Dashing Hispanic: Whilst not Spanish, close enough as to make no matter.
- The Dreaded: By the Moors, both in history and in the modern day.
- Nice Guy: Although he is somewhat melancholic, he is generally very calm and easygoing. He also cares a lot about his sons, although only Brazil and East Timor reciprocate this for him.
- Parental Favoritism: Brazil and East Timor are his favorite children, given the circumstances how the others rebelled. Brazil rebelled too, but he turned out to be successful enough or not that Portugal is in better terms with him.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Spain's red; he is noticeably more reserved compared to the latter.
- Riches to Rags: A very painful case. His was the first truly global empire, controlling not just colonies in the Americas, Africa, and Asia, but vast swathes of sea via colonial outposts. Then a string of terrible luck and bad leadership cost him everything but his mainland holdings, the Azores, and Madeira.
- Trade Mark Favourite Food: He is associated with bacalhau in-universe.
- Those Two Guys: Usually appears alongside Spain.
- Vestigial Empire: Even after the Portugese Empire ended, he still had some overseas territories. Until he lost them.
- Where Did We Go Wrong?: His reaction upon meeting Brazil. Portugal is embarrassed by Brazil's odd habits and wonders where he gets it from since the two of them have completely different personalities.
Nations of the Italian Peninsula
- Accidental Pornomancer: As seen here◊, he's so hot, other people can't help themselves. He even manages to seduce Eritrea, who came to kill him as revenge for years of slavery.
- Berserk Button: The Hawaiian Pizza. If anything, when he goes down to the hell in this comic◊, the thing that he concerns the most is beating Canada up for even daring to create the idea of it.
- The Casanova: Is often portrayed to be very successful with female countryballs.
- Catch Phrase: "Ciao!" and "bunga bunga". Also "ital ital" in his notably ditzier portrayals.
- Cultural Posturing: Insists that his cuisine, art, etc. is superior to France's.
- The Ditz: Comics set during the Second World War tend to depict him as ditzy and incompetent. Even after he joins the EU, he still has traits of this.
- FaceHeel Revolving Door: His propensity for switching sides is as memetic as France's for surrendering.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Kingdom of Italy acted as inspiration for Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan and other fascist states...
- Riches to Rags: Much like Greece, he's gone from being the supreme world power to having to beg Germany for money.
- Spaghetti and Gondolas
- Supreme Chef: Is well-known for his cuisine, and spends most of his time bickering with France over whose food is better.
- He is appalled at the general unhealthiness of USA's food, and also considers Canada's invention of Hawaiian pizza an unspeakable abomination.
- Wild Card: No one knows who's side he is on. If he picks a side he will switch to the other side halfway through.
- Long-Lived: Is one of the oldest nations, having existed since the final years of the Roman Empire.
- Quirky Neighbour Country: Italy is this to him, often annoying and disrupting his peaceful life.
- The Corrupter: Is sometimes portrayed as a dark mentor to Poland with tendencies of pedophilia.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Not a fan at all of other nations accepting homosexuals.
- Holier Than Thou: The most Catholic nation by far and not shy about it.
- Pedophile Priest: Don't let him near young countries like South Sudan.
Nations of the Mediterranean
- Berserk Button: Being called an Arab or Semite.
- Church Militant: Because of his past, he is fiercely Catholic and considered part of the Kebab Removal club.
- Composite Character: Sometimes he is combined with the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, even though they are two separate entities.
- The Medic: Because of his history with the Knights Hospitaller he's often seen as a medical expert. Sometimes he assists Swizerland.
- Mixed Ancestry: He has Arabic ancestry mixed with Italian, French and British. Though he really loathes his Arab roots.
- Split Personality: Has one called "Northern Cyprus", which Turkey regards at his property, but is viewed by the rest of the world as part of Cyprus.
Nations of Scandinavia
- Hates Being Touched: They all treasure their personal space, which ranges from a few meters to a several kilometers.
- Horny Vikings: The Nordics back in the day, although they occasionally break into old habits nowadays.
- Nice Guy: Known for being rather tolerant countries compared to the many other nationalistic countries in the series.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They hassle each other incessantly and have longstanding rivalries, but still get along better than just about any other countries with similar historical baggage.
- Abusive Parents: Isn't a very good father to Greenland and Faroe.
- The Alcoholic
- Black Comedy: He enjoys them, much to Poland's confusion.
- The Rival: Has a history with Sweden and Norway.
- Has a bit of a beef with Canada over the ownership of Hans Island.
- Product Placement: Sometimes seen with LEGO.
- The Unintelligible: Other countryballs can't understand his language and mock him for it.
- Trade Mark Favourite Food: Salt◊.
- Trade Mark Favourite Food: Rotten fish.
- Spear Carrier: Generally only shows up in comics that need all representatives of the Danish Realm.
"Russia! Yuo hurt me so many time! Finland never be hurt again, of swear on grave of Simo Häyhä!"
- The Alcoholic: A consummate vodka drinker.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A more serious and darker version; in spite of his general attitude, he still manages to do worthy things like inventing the sauna and the Nokia cellphone.
- Dual Wielding: A knife in one hand and a broken bottle in the other.
- Friendly Sniper/Cold Sniper: As the homeland of the Real Life Trope Codifier for both, Simo Häyhä, Finland gives even Russia nightmares.
- Grumpy Bear: In contrast with the rest of the carefree Nordics.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A cynical and alcoholic Grumpy Bear who is rarely seen smiling. However, he does have a softer side as he is shown to care deeply for Estonia.
- Knife Nut: Especially when combined with his alcoholism. Russia tends to be on the receiving end of his knife.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Can be extremely nihilistic and depressive, partly from long winters, partly from a long history of being sandwiched between Russia and Sweden. In lighter-hearted comics, it might instead be attributed to his country's fancied resemblance to a ballsack.
- No Social Skills: His greatest fear? Having to sit next to a stranger on public transportation.
- Not So Different: While his general attitude toward Sweden is beleaguered resentment, he has a prominent Swedish-speaking minority.
- Perpetual Frowner: He is rarely seen smiling.
- Pyrrhic Victory: On both sides between him and the USSR during the Winter War. For all intents and purposes, Finland lost and ceded land to USSR ball's clay. However, he managed to avoid annexation and is remembered as a badass during this conflict while the USSR is (technically incorrectly given the outcome) remembered as General Failure, in no small part because he was so overconfident he'd Zerg Rush to Finland's capital he actually commissioned a suite to commemorate marching through Helsinki.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Perkele, or a contraction thereof.
- Vodka Drunkenski: Despite not actually being Russian.
- Driven to Suicide: Due to his high suicide rate among his citizens. Thankfully, Polandball has no canon.
- Giant Mook: Is one for Denmark.
- Grumpy Bear: Denmark has given him a lot of grief.
- Sleepy Head: May be shown sleeping at odd times.
- Actual Pacifist: Mainly because of the total lack of a standing army.
- The Berserker: Is portrayed as one in this comic◊. A few wild mushrooms and an axe are all he needs...
- Out of Focus: Generally appears the least out of the Nordic characters.
- Pass the Popcorn: Likes to watch the struggles of other countryballs from the sidelines, with the exception of the Cod Wars.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: In some comics, he harnesses the power of Eyjafjallajökull volcano to defend himself or rain destruction on his enemies. Also see The Berserker above.
- Bold Explorer: Discovered many new lands. Is rumoured to have explored space before any other country.
- Commonality Connection: Has one with Switzerland, since they both are amongst the very few non-Eastern European countries who did not join the EU.
- Competition Freak: He is a very competitive guy. A good example of this is his competition with the Spanish Empire for the title of discoverer of many lands, as well as his rivalry with his fellow Nordic countries back in his viking days.
- Conspicuous Consumption: Has a lot of expensive stuff, thanks to his oil.
- Glory Days: Sometimes is rather nostalgic about his viking days.
- Hypocrite: His oil money has been contrasted against his reputation for environmental friendliness.
- Pyromaniac: He's sometimes shown burning churches while under the influence of Black Metal. Other comics imply this is a holdover from his pagan viking days.
- The Rival: To Canada in regards to arctic control.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Refuses to join the EU and described it as 'the sissies club'.
- Uncle Pennybags: One of the richest countries in EU and the world, which has been highlighted in a lot of comics.
- Arch-Enemy: Denmark.
- Being Good Sucks: His tolerant policies make him the butt of ridicule by others. See Straw Character.
- Stupid Good: Although he does tend to take things a little too far himself with being tolerant.
- Camp Gay: Is the most flamboyant of all the Nordics and is very accepting of homosexuals.
- Captain Ersatz: Female and male Swedenball's characterization as a sexy dominatrix and a homosexual intellectual, respectively, is similar to Scandinavia And The World.
- Catch Phrase: "Börk" or "Allah Akbörk" (when he's feeling more Islamically inclined.)
- Evilutionary Biologist: Seems to have retained his belief in eugenics.
- Leatherman: Has often been drawn in such an outfit◊.
- Lethal Chef: Nobody wants to try his surströmming. Even Big Eater America avoids it.
- My Greatest Failure: He is sometimes sad when he thinks about his peace and tolerance, as it exists because of his failure to save Åland.
- Nice Guy: While all Nordics are this, he is by far the most open and frontal about his liberal ideologies and tolerance. He dislikes political incorrectness and is a pretty neutral country as well.
- Product Placement: Loves Ikea.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Manages to be a sensitive, ABBA-loving progressive and a hard-drinking neo-viking simultaneously.
- Retired Badass: Used to be a European superpower back in the day, but hasn't fought a war for centuries.
- Sexy Scandinavian: Fem!Sweden is apparently very pretty in-universe, considering the other countryballs' reactions to her.
- Straw Character: Is often portrayed as a parody of social justice warriors. He's very liberal, insists on political correctness and can be a Soapbox Sadie at times.
- Swedish Chef: Certainly speaks the part.
- Team Switzerland: Opted for neutrality during WWII, much to the despair of the Baltic nations who came seeking refuge◊.
- Running Gag: Is Muslim. And is Camp Gay. Often torn between the two.
Nations of Southeast Europe
- Ax-Crazy: Not all of them, but it's more of a rule than an exception.
- Dysfunction Junction: It's the Balkans, after all.
- Arch-Enemy: Serbia, because of ethnic tensions over Kosovo. But he also dislikes Turkey, despite ironically being Muslim like him, mostly because of their historical struggle since Skanderbeg's days and the form Albania gained independence from the Ottomans.
- Berserk Button: Do not badmouth Skanderbeg in front of him.
- Butt-Monkey: He's not very smart or useful, and other countries tend to be mean to him or shun him.
- Catch Phrase: "Shqip!"note
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: One of the countries least attached to reality.
- Cultural Posturing: He's Muslim, but is very keen to point out that he's European, not Near Eastern. He also believes that Kosovo is Albanian clay.
- A disturbing trend seems to be emerging where Albania kills other 'kebabs' Highlander-style (i.e. "There can only be one").
- The Ditz: He's often portrayed as not too bright, to put it mildly.
- Glory Days: The reign of Skanderbeg. Unusually for the trope, it wasn't a particularly happy time— in fact it was a quarter of a century of desperate guerrilla warfare— but in that quarter century he managed to hold off the Ottoman Empire and occasionally Venice, which would be impressive for anyone let alone a country as small as he is.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: See Cultural Posturing; this is mostly due to emulating Skanderbeg, but even though he is also a Muslim nowadays, he also hates Turkey just like his fellow Balkans.
- Nice Hat: Often pictured with a Fez or Qeleshe.
- Odd Friendship: Seems to have formed one with Kosovo.
- Organ Theft: He even stole Omsk Bird's organs once!
- Properly Paranoid: He is obsessed with building bunkers. In some comics, the qeleshe cap is a bunker.
- Pokémon Speak: In some comics, his dialogue consists of nothing but the word "Shqip."
- Potty Failure: Sometimes shown as having pissed himself in group "photos", to show that it is poorer than every other country bordering it.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Dark and Troubled Past: Thanks to Serbia.
- The Eeyore: He's generally depressed and expecting the worst. That said, he usually has good reason to.
- Emo Teen: The yellow triangle on his flag has been depicted as an emo-style forelock. And of course, he has the depression to go with it.
- Only Sane Man: Together with Slovenia, one of the least kill-happy of the former Yugoslav countries. Though it's hard to know whether that's from any moral superiority or simply because he never gets the chance.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Developed one under the reign of the Ottoman Empire. He's the only Balkan that is on good terms with Turkey.
- Arch-Enemy: Macedonia. He will go to extreme lengths to make sure that he is a part of him.
- Cargo Ship: Occasionally with the Black Sea.
- Cultural Posturing: Is proud of inventing the Cyrillic alphabet.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He seems to be in a bad mood◊ most of the time, so this isn't surprising. When portrayed as female, it's joked that she's on her period.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Romania. It helps that they both have problems with gypsies.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Yoghurt.
- Out of Focus: He doesn't get many comics focusing on him.
- Antagonistic Offspring: Out of his siblings, he is by far the most frontal regarding his secession from Yugoslavia.
- Arch-Enemy: To Serbia, though he shares this position with Turkey.
- Berserk Button: When Arabic countries pronounce his name "Kurwatia". (Kurwa means "whore" in the Slavic languages.)
- Friendly Enemy: With Slovenia. They are mostly friends with each other but is rather strained because of the latter's efforts to take back Istria. Shown well in this comic◊.
- Patriotic Fervor: Enough to rival that of Serbia's.
- Pet the Dog: He is a pretty decent guy when he is not arguing with his brothers or being a Smug Snake. He is also nice to Muslims and can be seen defending Bosnia during one of his many arguments with Serbia.
- Smug Snake: Is often arrogant to a fault and acts really haughty, looking down on those who disagree with him.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Independent State of Croatia, a Nazi puppet.
- Wicked Cultured: The Balkan country most into books and culture.
"Of wait! Am mighting descendant of the glorious ancient Ελλασα! Must decide pay denbts or no pay denbts with... DEMOCRACY!"
-Greece, shortly before entering a single "no" into a ballot box.
- Arch-Enemy: Fellow Balkan Turkey, although as seen below, Greece is not the only one who wants a shot at them.
- Berserk Button: Macedonia's claims of being a real country.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: He has a lot of problems with EU (and by extension, Germany) due to his debt issues, but can't consider himself leaving because he still largely relies on them to keep his economy from complete collapse.
- Cultural Posturing: About the only thing Greece has going for himself is the contributions Ancient Greece made to western civilization. As a result, he has a tendency to claim that *everything* about western civilization originated in Greece and therefore credited (and given royalties) for it.
- Never Lend to Greece: When given money, Greece will often waste it away and then ask for more. He doesn't seem to learn from this.
- Perpetual Poverty
- Phrase Catcher: "Pay denbts."
- Riches to Rags: Invented Democracy. Touted as the birthplace of Western Civilization. Is constantly asking Germany to gib monies.
- Sleepy Head: Is often shown to be sleeping during EU meetings.
- Trade Mark Favourite Food: Gyros.
- Arch-Enemy: Serbia, obviously.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Serbia's Abel— he is nicer and more reserved compared to Serbia, who is really ballistic and trigger-happy.
- Commonality Connection: If you hate Serbia/recognize him, then you are a friend of his. And the vice versa also cases.
- Unwanted Assistance: He doesn't particularly feel the need to be protected from Albania by Serbia.
- He also has this dynamic with Serbia himself. Serbia would go to various lengths to protect Kosovo than let him be with Albania, but nevertheless he still wants to be independent from him.
- Cultural Posturing: Takes this Up to Eleven. He barely cares about anything other than being recognised as the true Macedon.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Hates being called a Slav despite speaking a Slavic language and using the Cyrillic alphabet.
- Founder of the Kingdom: Claims Alexander the Great, much to the annoyance of Greece.
- Overly Long Name: before switching his name to North Macedoniaball to end the dispute with Greece, to the UN he was known as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
- Palette Swap: Bears an unfortunate resemblance to Imperial Japan.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Sometimes likes to tout Greek history as his own.
- Lazy Bum: Would rather have Serbia do his European Union entry application for him.
- Sleepy Head: Is shown to be sleeping a lot.
- Black Sheep: Often bullied and blamed◊ for the gypsy problem in Europe. He is also considered this among his Latin brothers◊.
- Blood Knight: He gets rather... gleeful about removing Turkey. And of course, he may have less politically motivated reasons for liking blood.
- Classical Movie Vampire: When depicted as a vampire, he wears the cape and tends to carry a glass of something red.
- Cultural Posturing: Will tell everyone who cares to listen that he is descended from the Roman Empire. He will be particularly upset if you imply that he's Roma.
- Friendly Enemy: Hates Hungary and often taunts him about the Treaty of Trianon but they are often seen hanging out together.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Bulgaria. This comic◊ pretty much sums it up.
- Identical Stranger: Often confused with Chad, as both of their flags are exactly the same with only a slight difference in shades of blue.
- I Hate Past Me: He is rather bitter about his communist past.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Unlike Serbia below, Romania isn't so averse to running someone through. See Blood Knight and Our Vampires Are Different.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Is often depicted as a vampire, due to being the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler and the focus of a lot of European vampire lore.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Hungary.
- Smarter Than You Look: Often looked down upon by other nations due to him being poorer compared to other European nations, as well as his gypsy problem, but he is quite apt at thinking outside of the box. as seen◊ in these◊ comics◊.
- Sticky Fingers: Due to his high association with the gypsies, he seems to have picked up their trait of stealing stuff. If it's not them, then it's him.
- We Used to Be Friends: With North Korea, back during his days as SR Romania. He is pretty adamant in antagonizing him these days.
"REMOVE KEBAB FROM THE PREMISES SERBIA STRONK!"
- Arch-Enemy: Turkey and Croatia. Any kebab will do in a pinch, however.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Kosovo. He would rather that Kosovo stay with him rather than become a part of Albania, despite the fact the Kosovo is mostly Muslim.
- Big Brother Worship: He looks up to fellow Orthodox Slav Russia. They've even done a duet together.
- Blood Knight: While he's not alone in this among the countries, he's the most purebred example. Whenever he appears, you can be fairly sure that he's going to try to remove kebab, Croatia, any other country that's not him...
- Breakout Character: You wouldn't know that Serbia is not a heavy hitter in world affairs from reading Polandball. For instance, compare Serbia's trope entries to those of the more famous Spain and France.
- Catch Phrase: "Remove kebab!"
- Does Not Like Spam: He'd rather die than eat kebab, since it reminds him of Turkey. Doubles as a Berserk Button.
- Depending on the Writer: Although this will generally apply to how the author will do all of their comics and not just ones focused on Serbia, but Serbia's definition of Kebab will vary. It either applies exclusively to Turkey and his brother Azerbaijan, or "Euro Muslims" which then includes his other arch enemies Bosnia and Albania or just "Muslims" period which makes his ethnic tensions becoming a religious one instead. The only constant is that Turkey is 100% Kebab and no questions asked.
- Interestingly he is never shown reacting to the central Asian nations negatively despite 4 of them being Turkic and all 5 of them being Muslim. It somewhat helps that they're disconnected quite a bit with their brother Turkey.
- The Dreaded: At least by other Balkan countries. Most larger countries don't even care.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While he's all for killing Turkey and other Islamic countries, he draws the line at impalement. Usually.
- They may be equally crazy, but he doesn't like North Korea that much.
- Eyepatch of Power: Formed by the white double-headed eagle crest. Comics set during The Yugoslav Wars (when Serbia's flag didn't have the crest) will occasionally show him as missing an eye.
- Freudian Excuse: His insane hatred for Islamic countries was caused by him being forced into slavery by the Ottoman Empire for centuries.
- Croatia has abused him a lot in the past, as well.
- The Fundamentalist: Played With. He's Orthodox, but more importantly, he's not Muslim.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take a lot for him to materialise a knife and Chetnik beret and go on a killing spree.
- Machete Mayhem: His weapon of choice is a machete. It gets used a lot.
- Morality Pet: Montenegro. While Serbia tends to treat him as something akin to an annoying little brother, he's usually less abusive to him than to other countries.
- Nice Hat: Nearly always with a Beret.
- The Nicknamer: He's the one that started calling Turks and Muslims in general "Kebabs", spamming the other food denominations. Also uses "Shqiptard" for Albania and "Montenigger" for Montenegro.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: In a rather dark example, his musical skills and general demeanour are inspired by a Republika Srpska soldier seen playing the accordion in a viral propaganda video from the 1990s. Since the anonymous accordionist is believed to be identical with Novislav Djajic, who was sentenced in the Hague for fourteen killings of Muslims, this would also be an example of No War Criminals Were Harmed.
- Odd Friendship: Has good relationships with Islamic countries that do not recognize Kosovo as a country— but some prominent examples include Indonesia, Tunisia, Mali and Syria.
- Patriotic Fervor: The driving force of his existence.
- Pint-Size Powerhouse: Like the other Balkan countries, he's generally drawn smaller than most countries. That doesn't make him any less ferocious, though.
- Religious Bruiser: His Eastern Orthodox faith is very important to him, and as all the other tropes in his entry shows, he is quite the fighter.
- The Sociopath: He's a removing machine. His fondness for violence is the only thing dependable about him.
- Warrior Poet: He loves playing the accordion and singing as much as he loves killing Muslim countries, and is sometimes depicted as preferring his music to a life of violence. Of course, sometimes he manages to combine the two.
- Berserk Button: He doesn't like being called a Balkan.
- Beware the Nice Ones: One of the nicest Balkan nations, but may god forgive you if you ever piss◊ him off◊.
- Eyepatch of Power
- The Generic Guy: Due to him being 'normal' compared to his more ballistic and trigger-happy siblings.
- Identical Stranger: To Slovakia◊. The name similarities and little flag differences don't help.
- Nice Guy: The most pacifistic and well-meaning of the Balkans, especially considering his siblings' nature.
- Only Sane Man: One of the few Balkan countries that doesn't want to messily kill his neighbours, pointed out well in this comic◊.
- The Un-Favourite: Yugoslavia doesn't particularly like him due to him being the first one to secede and for being different from his brothers.
- White Sheep: Slovenia doesn't really fit in with the other former-Yugoslav states, and constantly strives◊ to align himself with Central Europe instead.
- Workaholic: It's been joked that he's the Germany of the Balkans.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To the EU.
- Affably Evil: While the "evil" part varies, he's generally jovial and polite.
- Arch-Enemy: A lot of countries are gunning down for him like Greece, Serbia, Armenia and Romania due to his time as the Ottoman Empire. He is also not on good terms with Saudi Arabia and Russia due to conflict of interests in the Middle-East.
- Berserk Button: Being confused for an Arab, or any implication that he's anything other than European.
- Big Brother Instinct: Turkey has always stood by Azerbaijan's side.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Most of the countryballs that made up the Ottoman Empire are rather fixated on Turkey, whether as an enemy or a protector. For his part, none of his former conquests particularly stand out to him.
- Cultural Posturing: Because of his glorious imperial past, he can be very condescending to his neighbors.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: He is considered a part of Europe and wishes to get into the EU, but many European countries despise him, especially those who used to be parts of the Ottoman Empire (Serbia, Greece, etc). Not that he cared about it.
- Glory Days: The Ottoman Empire.
- Nice Hat: Often seen wearing a fez.
- Oblivious to Love: In the fraternal sense. While he's often lonely, he seldom seems to notice how much his little brother Azerbaijan cares about him.
- Only Friend: Sometimes has this dynamic with Germany.
- The Pollyanna: He doesn't reciprocate the hostility that most Euros direct to him (except to Armenia and maybe Greece), and still clings to the hope that he'll be accepted soon in the EU.
- Retired Badass: Was once universally feared by all of Europe.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Kebab. Also expect to see a lot of rakija in times of stress.
- Weapon of Choice: A scimitar.
- Would Be Rude to Say "Genocide": Refuses point-blank to listen to Armenia's claim of genocide and attempts to remove every single mention of it.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Desperately wants to get into the European Union, but any time it looks like he'll finally make it, expect something to go wrong.