Main Character Index | African Nations | Asian Nations | European Nations | Nations of Oceania | North American Nations | South American Nations | Others
open/close all folders
Nations of the Caucasus
- Arch-Enemy: All three country balls have one.◊ Armenia and Azerbaijan have each other and while Russia isn't usually lumped with the trio, him and Georgia aren't too fond of each other. Azerbaijan also despises Iran (even though Iran isn't considered part of the trio). Armenia also hates Turkey as well.
- Ascended Extra: In a more meta sense, these three countries are pretty much ignored by internet media, but these three are pretty popular in the Polandball fandom. The rise of the "Remove Kebab" meme and the fact that Azerbaijan is Turkish has certainly contributed to their frequent appearances.
- Cranky Neighbor: All three view each other as this.
- Fusion Dance: The three countries did this in 1918 after the fall of Russia, becoming Transcaucasiaball. It didn't last long.
- Forever War: They've been arguing since the Soviet Union fell and don't look like they're gonna be stopping soon.
- Freudian Trio: Armenia and Azerbaijan trade between Id and Superego Depending on the Writer. Georgia can be safely classified as the ego, as he is often the most neutral between the two and his comics don't usually involve talking about conflicts or tensions as a result.
- Hero of Another Story: The eternal disputing of the Caucasus is a world of its own that doesn't get much attention nor is well known by non Caucasians, but they're just another day in the life of these three.
- Power Trio: They don't usually get along, but their issues are a source for many entertaining Polandball comics.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: When it comes to border disputes, you can bet at least one comic exists with each Caucasian country ball believing the ENTIRE REGION belongs to him.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Caucasus is highly culturally diverse, and among the Big Three alone we have:
- Oriental Orthodox Christian Indo-European Armenia.
- Secularized Shia Muslim Turkic Azerbaijan
- Orthodox Christian Kartvelian Georgia. They have yet to put aside their differences and save the world, but they've all got Plucky Underdog down pat.
- We Used to Be Friends: Downplayed as they were all a part of the nations that made up the USSR rather than being best friends out right.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Him and South Ossetia are this for Georgia, who has to babysit them while they demand independence.
- Spear Carrier: The presence of a hand on his flag is pretty much the only reason he ever appears.
- Arch-Enemy: Azerbaijan. Their war is ongoing.
- Turkey, although from Turkey's perspective Armenia is more of an Unknown Rival.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Just the mere act of recognizing his genocide will earn you his friendship, even if you are a kebab like Lebanon or Syria.
- Berserk Button: Denying the Armenian genocide.◊
- Also, asking him to gib more of his clay, after already losing so much.
- Big Brother Instinct: He's very protective of Nagorno Karabakh.
- Butt-Monkey: Has been invaded and been a part of many Empires along with facing a genocide.
- Commonality Connection: Recognizing the Armenian genocide or being a Kebab remover is a pretty easy way to get on Armenia's good side as can be indicated by his friend's list in his Polandball wiki page
- Depending on the Writer: His relationship with Georgia determines whether or not the maker of the comic sees the two countries as friends or enemies.
- Metal Head: He's a fan of Armenian American rock band System Of A Down◊.
- Odd Friendship: He actually gets along well with many Muslim countries, unless they happen to be named Turkey, Azerbaijan or Pakistan. Examples include Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Indonesia; the case with Iran is even more ironic considering both had a very violent history when Iran is still Persia, mostly due to Iran's resentment of Azerbaijan.
- In an inverted case, Armenia has a love-hate relationship with Israel despite both being kebab removers, due to Israel's refusal to recognize the Armenian Genocide.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Greece, Russia, Iran and the other "Kebab Removers" like Serbia and Romania.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Lavash, a type of Armenian flat bread. Like kebab for Turkic people and vodka for Russians, it can be used as shorthand for Armenians.
- Trauma Conga Line: Has had a very long, very violent history.
- Saintly Church: Is proud of his Christian roots and being the first nation in the world to adopt Christianity.
- Skewed Priorities: Loves his churches, to the point where after his second largest cityball Gyumriball was destroyed in an earthquake his main concern was the church.
- Would Be Rude to Say "Genocide": He's really bitter than many nations don't recognize the Armenian genocide.
- Why Won't You Die?: Centuries of violence and he's still kicking.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Like Georgia below, Azerbaijan has separatist woes of his own in the form of Nagorno-Karabakh, exacerbated because of the latter's Armenian influence. In most comics though, Nagorno-Karabakhball is portrayed as Armeniaball's younger sibling that was put under Azerbaijan's control by Soviet Unionball.
- Arch-Enemy: Armenia. Their war is ongoing. He even gives little reminders about it◊.
- Berserk Button: Any time Nagorno-Karabakhball gets recognized by another entity it can lead to some rash behavior, like in this comic.
- Fan Nickname: He's sometimes called Mini-Turkey. Because he's a small Turkish country in Turkey's sphere of influence.
- Hollywood Atheist: Despite his Shia background, he's one of the most secular countryballs, along with Estonia. His lack of religiosity is one of his points of tension with Iran.
- Odd Friendship: Has a pretty good relationship with Israel, to the annoyance of neighbors Iran and Turkey.
- Berserk Button: Being mistaken for the US state of Georgia.
- The Eeyore: Downplayed, but notably more pessimistic than Armenia and Azerbaijan, both of whom at least have regional allies willing to back them up.
- Although (in comics only of course) America sometimes rushes to his aid due to his inability to tell the difference between him and the American state of Georgia.
- Karma Houdini: Sorta. He doesn't have a reputation as The Dreaded despite him being in charge of Sovietball during the violent Stalin era, with most of that periods atrocities being blamed on Russia. (It helps his case that the nature of Sovietball is Depending on the Writer and Stalin in Real Life was a Russophile.)
- Named After Somebody Famous: Kind of. Georgia is an exonym which is partly attributed to the nation's particular reverence for St. George, called "Tetri Giorgi" in Georgian.
- Name's the Same: In-universe with the US stateball Georgia.
- Retired Monster: If comics portray him as the one controlling Sovietball during the Stalin era, he will be this.
- Team Switzerland: Is neutral to Armenia and Azerbaijan's conflict. Could be summed up with this picture.
- Depending on the Writer: As an unrecognized country he may just be replaced by Armenia in some comics (and as a side note, most of Armenia's tropes also apply to him). And since he's a Berserk Button for Azerbaijan, his characterization will differ widely depending on which side of the conflict the writer takes.
- I Have Many Names: Calls himself Artsakh (in February 2017 he officially changed his name to this), but will sometimes still go by the Russian-Turkish name Nagorno-Karabakh and most others still call him this.
- Insistent Terminology: Argues often with Azerbaijan over the names of his cityballs.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jingyalov Hats, a special herbed flatbread that originates from the region.
Nations of Central Asia
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To both Pakistan and Iran (moreso to Pakistan), who often have to take in his refugees. They still generally get along though.
- Genki Guy: He is mostly seen happy and smiling in comics that feature him, which is pretty impressive considering his problems.
- The Pollyanna: Has had a lot of problems with terrorists, but tries to keep up with it and be optimistic for the future, and even maintains positive relations with both US and Russia.
- War Refugee: Like Libya and Syria, he is the other go-to poster boy for this trope in-universe.
Don't let his size fool you— he is a Gentle Giant
. Unless you mention Borat around him.
- Berserk Button: Borat, to the point of hating the UK for making it. He also has a bit of a hassle with Kuwait thanks to the latter playing the Borat anthem in the Olympics.
- Bizarre Alien Locomotion: While not alien, Kazahkstan's locomotion is unique in the setting - unlike Reichtangle, who is of a comparable shape (albeit vertical), Kazahkstan is often portrayed as unable to move of his own power and uses the other central Asians as wheels.
- Captain Ersatz: Sometimes acts like the Polandball's version of Borat. However, don't mention that movie around him.
- Gentle Giant: Is often drawn as bigger than his fellow countryballs but seems to be rather nonviolent (which is rather remarkable given the disposition of most Polandball nations). Unless you count being dropped onto them as murder.
- Nice Guy
- Nonstandard Character Design: Is shaped like a brick.
- This makes him the only one unafraid of Reichtangle.
- Out of Focus: Even more so than any of the other Central Asians; he probably shows up the absolute least.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Saparmurat Niyazov's presidency left him a bit... off.
- Genki Guy: In the few comics he's been in, he's quite energetic, bordering on manic.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Often compared to North Korea.
- Running Gag: The incredible details of his flag gets brought up often.
- Team Switzerland: He is a very neutral country, and he can be pretty much called as the Switzerland of Central Asia.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Loves melons. Sometimes, this love can get pretty crazy.
Nations of East Asia
- Abusive Parents: Suffice to say, he is not a really good father to Hong Kong and Macau.
- Arch-Enemy: His feud with Japan crops up from time to time.
- Big Brother Bully: Constantly scheming to get Taiwan back.
- Dirty Communists: Which is why he has such a strong relationship with Russia.
- Friendly Rivalry: With the United States. They get along pretty well though, much more so than the USA and Russia do with each other.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Cares absolutely nothing about how much smoke he belches into the atmosphere.
- Heel Realization: Recent portrayals, however, show that he has since realised what his actions have done.
- Jerkass: If you need any proof, here's how he treats his political opposition◊.
- Karma Houdini: While America and Russia often have their unscrupulous projects blow up in their face, China usually gets away with it. Probably because he doesn't commit to them as much as the other two.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: As mentioned above, China isn't as committed to his endeavors as Russia or the USA. He even gave up communism when it was clear it wasn't working.
- Large and in Charge: Like America and Russia, he's considerably bigger than the other countries.
- Only Friend: For Russia, due to their similar personalities.
- Signature Laugh: "xixixixixi".
- Workaholic: On par with Germany.
- Accessory Wearing Countryball: He tends to either carry anime paraphernalia or a katana.
- Anime Land: His main ethnic stereotype.
- Asian and Nerdy: 'Natch. He is very focused into education, and tends to be an Otaku.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He might be polite and well-mannered, but it's best to keep in mind that he used to be The Dreaded imperial power who manages to take over most of Eastern Asia.
- The Dreaded: He still makes Southeast Asia uneasy.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: While the "lovable" part varies, he's definitely one of the horniest countries, with a particular fondness for the weirder forms of hentai.
- Nice Guy: One of the most polite and honorable countries in the Polandball universe.
- Nuclear Nasty: Sometimes shown to have mutations after the USA's nuclear bombardment in WWII.
- Otaku: His most common characterisation in the modern era.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: It's taking the backseat at the moment, though.
- Retired Badass: He scored several victories over superpowers before running into America, repeatedly defeating Mongolia, Russia, and China. Now, he's more known for anime and porn.
- Retired Monster: Unlike Germany, he has not become The Atoner for his World War 2 crimes (a Running Gag is him denying the Nanking Massacre ever happened), but ever since the US beat the hell out of him, he's more or less harmless.
- The Smart Guy: Very intelligent, and has contributed into world's most-known technologies.
- Superpowered Evil Side: WWII!Japan, scary enough to drive back China and Russia, and tangle (briefly) with the US.
- Ax-Crazy: In the past, and sometimes in present-day portrayals as well.
- The Dreaded: His glory days may be past, but many of his old acquaintances still harbour a lingering fear of him.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Japan. Although Mongolia tries to anschluss him in the past, he is nowadays pretty friendly with Japan.
- Glory Days: He is clearly not happy with his current lot and wishes to go back to the old empire.
- Kryptonite Factor: Water. Japan and Vietnam both defeated him easily in his first invasions because they had a sea and a river respectively separating them from the Mongol Empire, with those invasions being represented in Polandball as Mongolia jumping into the water and nearly drowning. He managed to cross those bodies successfully in his second attempts, leaving Vietnam and Japan to beat him back the old fashioned way.
- My Greatest Failure: He's sometimes shown as obsessively bitter about his failures to conquer Japan and Vietnam.
- Riches to Rags: Once the uncontested most powerful empire on Earth, now unhappily underdeveloped and stuck between two neighbors who hate him.
- Asian and Nerdy: Obsessively plays Starcraft and takes education very seriously.
- This mentality is deconstructed in this comic◊ showing the immense pressure South Korean youth face in their highly demanding education system.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: As seen in this comic◊, he and Japan might fight each other a lot, but in reality...
- Berserk Button: As much as it horrifies him, never◊ threaten to rape him in front of his face.
- Broken Ace: Very intelligent, talented, takes education very seriously and invented a number of well-known products in the world. He also withstood enormous pressure due to said dedication to education (see the Asian and Nerdy entry above) and has had a notably traumatic history, and is still often affected by it.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to North Korea's Cain.
- Rape as Backstory: Occasionally, mention is made of how Japan raped Fem!Korea.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Capitalist, modern, and reasonably happy and well-adjusted, as opposed to the psychotic, militaristic and communist North Korea.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: When portrayed as female, sometimes the trigrams on her flag are positioned to look like eyelashes (getting around Polandball's prohibition on eyelashes and other facial features).
- Vitriolic Best Buds: A common portrayal of his relationship with Japan. South Korea doesn't have the best opinion of him due to Japan abusing him back during his imperial days. However, they are somewhat getting along fine nowadays asides from a lot of arguments, and it helps that they both hate North Korea and they are both among US' closest allies.
- Why Did It Have To Be Fans?: Despite living surrounded by formerly or currently imperialist countries, his biggest fear is fan death.
Taiwan/Republic of China
Nations of South Asia
- Identical Stranger: Often called 'sick Japan' due to his flag having similar designs with him, with the only difference in the background color. He is not happy about it.
- Overpopulation Crisis: His main problem, which is frequently the main topic in comics featuring him.
- Running Gag: His population density and him being constantly flooded gets brought up often.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: His current relationship with Pakistan.
- Also with India. They have a love-hate relationship going on.
- We Used to Be Friends: He used to be a part of Pakistan before he seceded. Nowadays, they have made amends with each other although they still argue at times.
- Antagonistic Offspring: To the United Kingdom in the past. They get a long much better than they used to.
- Berserk Button: Making mom jokes◊ in front of him is a bad idea.
- Black Comedy Rape: Usually only alluded to.
- Bollywood Nerd: If a country phones tech support, expect India to be the one who takes the call.
- He's also immensely proud of his space program.
- Innocently Insensitive: He's not an anti-semite, but doesn't quite understand the objection to Hitler Ice-Cream.
- Large and in Charge: He's a huge country with the second-highest population in the world, so he's sometimes drawn much bigger than his neighbors. This tends to be averted whenever he goes head-to-head with Pakistan, as they're usually drawn the same size.
- Nice Guy: Surprisingly, despite him appearing serious or disenchanted most of the time. When he is not disputing about Kashmir with China and Pakistan, he is generally a very friendly guy, and will readily help his friends in need. He even supports both Israel and Palestine, both of who see each other as their worst nemesis.
- The Rival: To Pakistan and China. The latter becomes Friendly Rivalry when they are in BRICS.
- Toilet Humor: Almost literally. His problems with lack of toilets often gets◊ brought up◊.
- Berserk Button: He is a devout Islam follower, and insulting it in front of him is a bad idea.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is a pretty average and chill guy in general, but he has a quite short fuse and it is worse if you insult Islam in front of him.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much to anger him.
- The Rival: To India. Their dispute of Kashmir says it all.
- We Used to Be Friends: His relationship with Bangladesh. They're in a better place than they had been, but the whole secession thing is still a bit of a raw subject.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Afghanistan, who often annoys him with terrorists— but Pakistan still tries to take care of him and willingly hosts his refugees.
Nations of Southeast Asia
- Breakout Character: While Polandball is still skewed towards comics about European countries, the Southeast Asian countryballs enjoy considerable popularity. In particular, comics starring Indonesia, Singapore, and Philippines are about as common as any concerning the Euros. It helps that the dynamics between ASEAN are pretty similar to what goes on in the EU.
- Enemy Mine: While they're all prone to fighting each other, they will certainly team up against China.
- Transatlantic Equivalent: If ASEAN itself is a character, the adventures surrounding it and the other South East Asian nations are the equivalents of whatever is going on in the EU.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Most of these countryballs are very concerned about Chinese territorial ambitions, but they're generally too busy arguing about their own territorial ambitions to do anything about it. The Spratly Islands dispute is a good example.
Do not call him Poland. You will regret it.
- Antagonistic Offspring: Was very rebellious to Netherlands in the past. They are getting along fine in the present though.
- Berserk Button: While he is quick to anger in general, mistaking him for Poland and communism are his biggest ones. Also, due to his rough past with them, he also despises separatists, as seen from him not recognizing Kosovo.
- Big Brother Bully: He is this to Malaysia and Singapore, especially the former. Not to mention he likes burning jungles to piss them off.
- Cool Big Bro: On the other hand, he is this towards Brunei, as he is less likely to bully him than he could towards Malaysia and Singapore, and they get along pretty well.
- Cultural Posturing: Believes that his culture is superior to Malaysia's and that the latter is stealing parts of it.
- Foil: To Brazil. See Brazil's entry for more details.
- Friendly Enemy: With Malaysia. They often hassle with and treat each other with hostility, but they still consider each other brothers, and they can get along really well if they wanted to.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Can be a real piece of work sometimes, and a lot of comics featuring him show him smoking a cigarette.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much to annoy or piss him off.
- Hypocrite: His claims to be against anschlussing others' clay (since it is identified with colonialism)◊ is contrasted with the fact that he tried to take back East Timor. Not to mention he had tried anschlussing his neighbors' clay and some of his present-day islands◊ back during several years after he got independent (with varying results).
- Is also appalled at Netherlands' tendencies to smoke weed, but he himself smokes a lot in many of his appearances.
- Identical Stranger: With Poland and Monaco— he is often mistaken for the former, which he is not a fan of.
- Improbable Weapon User: Used sharpened bamboo sticks to kill Netherlands once.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He is proud of his successful democracy, diverse culture, heritage and the way he got his independence, and will not waste any time to brag about it to other countries, and likes acting as if he is superior to them. But at the same time he is also painfully aware that he is not quite there yet◊ with a lot of problems◊ still prevalent◊ in his country.
- Jerkass: He can come off as arrogant, overly proud and condescending to his fellow nations, and finding comics where he is not being annoyed/angry over something or bullying his neighbors (and sometimes even other countries) can be a bit of a challenge.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: His more sympathetic portrayals show him leaning towards this. Also in general, when he is not being overly proud about himself, he is a pretty friendly guy and can be friends with almost everyone— import good products to him, or have even a little but significant similarity to him, you are his friend. Also see Vitriolic Best Buds below.
- Large and in Charge: By population, landmass, and influence he's the biggest player in SE Asia, and is sometimes drawn larger accordingly. The ASEAN headquarters is also located in Indonesia.
- Nice Hat: Often wears a songkok or conical straw hat to differentiate him from Poland.
- Nosy Neighbour: Is one with regards to East Timor. He seems to be very interested in taking over his clay.
- Pyromaniac: The first time it happened, it was an accident. Now, it seems that burning jungles has become something of a hobby, especially when it pisses off his neighbours.
- Retired Badass: Was really powerful as the Majapahit Empire.
- Signature Laugh: His laughter is occasionally rendered as "wkwkwkwkwkwk" in text.
- Take a Third Option: Back during the Cold War, he was one of the founding members of the Non-Aligned Movement, rejecting both Communist and Western influences.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Loves Indomie and satay.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He is this to any of his friends really— he loves teasing and bullying them, but still cares about them and considers them his friends.
- Black Sheep: In this comic◊, he gets treated amongst the Southeast Asian countries as such.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Like Vietnam and Cambodia, his history also involved a lot of bombs, war and deaths.
- Nice Guy: Along with Vietnam, he is one of the last remaining communist countries that doesn't get the same levels of bad rap from other countries (apart of his Black Sheep treatment above). He tries his best to treat his neighbors with respect, while the others are more prone to get into spats with each other. He is even able to befriend China and North Korea of all people.
- Only Sane Man: He is one of the Southeast Asian countries who does not get into arguments with his neighbors regularly due to his neutral foreign policy, and apart from a few problems in his country, he is doing rather well for himself.
- Out of Focus: Appears the least out of all Southeast Asian nations.
- Team Switzerland: Known for his very neutral stances against everyone.
- Those Two Guys: Sometimes has this dynamic with Vietnam, due to their shared communist views.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Thailand. He hates him a bit, but they regularly get along with each other.
- Ass Shove: May be subject to this when sitting on Singapore.
- Big Brother Bully: To Brunei and Singapore at first, before Rags to Riches happened to both of them.
- Born Unlucky: When it comes to airplanes. Summed here.◊
- Break the Haughty: Is often portrayed as an arrogant know-it-all, and just as◊ many comics◊ portray him being humiliated. Double points if Singapore is the one who takes the job of this trope.
- Lazy Bum: Prefers to relax rather than do work. He even has a special word for this-"lepak".
- Master Race: His affirmative action program for Malays written into the constitution was one of the main reasons for booting Singapore, who is mostly ethnic Chinese. Bumiputera stronk!
- Nice Hat: Wears a songkok on occasion as per his Malay heritage. Can also be used to differentiate between Malays and non-Malays, as done here◊.
- Pride: Often portrayed as being very proud of himself, to the point where it borders outright haughtiness.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He is noticeably more reserved and obedient to his father UK compared to his brother Indonesia, who is more hot-blooded and is very rebellious to his father Netherlands. Is it a wonder why they constantly fight with each other?
- Trademark Favorite Food: Usually associated with nasi lemak. Laksa, chicken rice, satay, and rendang are also another few of his favorites, and naturally, the latter two draw countless accusations of culture stealing from Indonesia.
- Verbal Tic: Malaysian and Singaporean authors like to season his speech with Manglish. Can lah!
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Singapore. For a state he'd kicked out about half a century ago, the two have interacted with each other rather...amicably◊ relative to other nations in similar situations. They also tend to share a greater resentment of Indonesia◊.
- Accidental Misnaming: Does this to himself. He can never remember his current name and often calls himself by his previous name, Burma. Sometimes he'll mix up the two and calls himself "Burmyanmar".
- Armor-Piercing Question: Who am I?◊
- Ax-Crazy: Recently he is an Asian version of Serbia, since he is currently removing Rohingya people. Also count as rare Buddhist The Fundamentalist.
- Identical Stranger: With Taiwan during the use of his old flag. His current flag makes him identical with Lithuania.
- Odd Friendship: Like Serbia, he has one with Indonesia, who is mostly Muslim. It is rather one-sided though, considering Indonesia views him as an enemy due to what he did.
- The Rival: To Thailand, Arch-Enemy in the past.
- Split Personality: Due to separatists.
Just another normal day for him.
- Arch-Enemy: China. His hatred mainly stems from the conflict over Spratly Islands. Their relationship has somewhat gotten better since Rodrigo Duterte's presidency, but it's still present.
- Ax-Crazy: Whenever he gets fixated on removing drugs, he can get very violent.
- Black Sheep: A running gag is that, despite his rock-solid multi-ethnically Asian background, the rest of SE Asia refuses to acknowledge him as Asian since Spain (and America) ruled him, and this comic◊ is just one of those that have shown him being mistreated by other SEA countries.
- Daddy's Girl: Obviously if the Philippines in some comics is a girl. Usually is this to her adopted father.
- With how close he is with his adopted father, the Philippines weaponized his father's Papa Wolf tendencies in which he threatens his rivals with just a phone call away.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His whole childhood and being invaded by Japan doesn't give a reason to smile at. He is also hinted to have suffered from amnesia◊, a reason why he can't recall his Malay roots is due to extensive abuse.
- Drugs Are Bad: Even more so than Singapore recently, also his Berserk Button. As seen in this◊ comic.
- Enemy Mine: As reflective of Real Life, both the Philippines and Vietnam are allies in standing up against China.◊
- Ethnic Menial Labor: Sometimes depicted as this. He didn't earn his nickname 'Maidland' for nothing.
- Expressive Flag Colors: The Philippines has a unique quirk: His colors actually invert (the red and blue of his flag switch places so that the former is over the latter) when he feels anger or aggression. This is to reflect that raising the Philippine flag upside down is an indication that the country is in a state of war.
- Foreign Cuss Word: "Tangina!", a corruption of "putang ina!" ("son of a bitch!"). He also uses "puta" due to his Spanish heritage.
- Happily Adopted: He absolutely idolizes his adoptive father, The US. His actual (Birth? Colonialization?) father Spain is rather venomously referred to as a 'puto'.
- Hostile Weather: Experiences it in this◊ comic.
- Insistent Terminology: China does NOT have any sea. It is called the West Philippine Sea!
- Mistaken for Racist: He was liberated by a group called the Kataastaasan Kagalang-galang Katipunan nang mga Anak nang Bayan, which is abbreviated as KKK. Unfortunately for him, some countries confuse that with the US white supremacist organization of the same acronym.
- Motor Mouth: Talks a lot whenever he becomes excited.
- Nice Guy/Genki Guy: He is generally very cheerful, jovial and hospitable to other countries.
- The Pollyanna: He's had a very hard life, but maintains a positive attitude and has high hopes for the future.
- Verbal Tic: Is incapable of producing the /f/ and /v/ sound and thus uses /p/ and /b/ respectively wherever the sounds are required.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He really wants his papa the US to be proud of him and he wants to be like him as well.
Can into ball? No. Can into rich economic power? Yes, lah!
- Asian and Nerdy: Appears to be very smart and focused on education.
- Cunning Linguist: He speaks a lot of languages, and is notably fluent in both English and Mandarin. Because of this, some English-language comics will actually have him speaking standard English instead of Polandball-speak or Singlish.
- Deadpan Snarker: Calling him sarcastic is an understatement. Almost every of his appearances involve him snarking at another nation, Malaysia and Indonesia being his favorite targets.
- Does Not Like Gum: Referencing the import ban. Doubles as a Berserk Button.
- Drugs Are Bad: His attitude towards them.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: In a sense, he is the responsible to both Indonesia and Malaysia's foolish, as he is less likely to mess up with situations and works harder than the two combined.
- Founder of the Kingdom: Lee Kuan Yew fits most requirements apart from being official royalty. Sometimes Tringapore will actually swear by the former Prime Minister's family name (as in, "Oh my Lee!" or "Lee damn it!").
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: That triangular shape comes in handy against circular enemies.
- The Napoleon: Don't let his size fool you; he's got a hell of a temper and the economic power to back it up.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Appears in the shape of an isosceles triangle.
- Odd Friendship: He has a sizable Muslim population in his clay, but he has a pretty good relationship with Israel. It is a bold move considering he is sandwiched between his anti-Israel neighbours.
- Only Sane Man: Often gets caught between Malaysia and Indonesia's rivalry, and when he feels like it, he calls out on them both.
- Smug Snake: Although he does have his good side, he can be really arrogant and haughty at times.
- Rags to Riches: He used to be a poor region/country when he was under both British and Malaysian rule. However, ever since his separation with Malaysia, he has turned into a ridiculously wealthy first-world country.
- A Taste of the Lash: Threatens to cane other countries for smuggling drugs or bubblegum into his country.
- Thicker Than Water: His relationship with cousin China is an aversion. They get along fairly well, but Singapore doesn't feel more loyal to China than any of his other trading partners.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chilli crab.
- Verbal Tic: "I don't have verbal tic, lah!"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Unsurprisingly, with Malaysia.
- Workaholic: Obviously, in contrast to Malaysia. This comic◊ even shows him as the Southeast Asian version of Germany.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Is often depicted as a Thai ladyboy. Most countryballs end up becoming attracted to him without knowing his real gender.
- Berserk Button: He has a pretty low opinion of communism, something he shares with Indonesia.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: USA tried his food once◊, and was promptly reduced to ashes.
- Identical Stranger: He bears a strong resemblance to Costa Rica and (unfortunately) North Korea. The latter is made more jarring considering he hates communists.
- Nice Guy: He is generally a very reserved, calm guy who likes smiling.
- Only Sane Man: Appears as this, as he is the only Southeast Asian country to not be colonized by outside powers, and generally acts the sanest amongst the countries of the region.
- This is however, ultimately subverted when it was revealed that he has his own woes with separatists, as well as being controlled by a military junta.
- The Rival: To Cambodia and Myanmar/Burma, both are Arch-Enemies in the past.
- Signature Laugh: His laughter is always rendered as "55555" due to the fact that the Thai word for the number five sounds like "ha".
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Needless to say, other countryballs are rather shocked when they realise that Thailand is a boy.
Don't challenge him into a war if you value your life.
- All Asians Wear Conical Straw Hats: Is often drawn wearing one.
- Antagonistic Offspring: Is one is regards to his father France. They are somewhat getting along fine nowadays though.
- Arch-Enemy: China, exarcebated by their history and dispute of Spratly and Paracel. He decided to burn Chinese flags in a show of hatred once- which would've been effective if it wasn't for the fact that he was burning the wrong flag.
- Berserk Button: "Gib Spratly Islands!"
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Downplayed. He remembers the American phase of the Vietnam War, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as important to him as it is to America. After all he fought France before than and China after.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Fried tarantula, rats etc. Averted when Pho is brought up, itself having won a few facebook contests on the best national fast good.
- Dark and Troubled Past: A lot of his memories are filled with blood, bombs, death etc. Just like the others, he too suffered a lot due to colonial powers and of course Japan.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Won a major war against the US, and these days is quite friendly with him. Averted with China, with whom he has a much longer history of conflict.
- The Dreaded: He still poses as this to USA sometimes, oftentimes giving him flashbacks to his failure to defeat him in the Vietnam War.
- Enemy Mine: Both he and the Philippines argue over the Spratly Islands and their claims, but they can both agree to hate China.◊
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Often drawn on the small side, but has successfully beaten huge powers◊ like the US, China, and Mongolia.
- Those Two Guys: With Laos sometimes, as they are both communists.
Nations of the Middle East
- Arab Beoble Talk: Common, but not necessarily the rule for the Arabic-speaking countries.
- Dysfunction Junction: Owing to the region being one of the most volatile areas in the world.
- Nice Hat: All of the Gulf Countries are often drawn wearing the kufiyah.
- Arch-Enemy: Saudi Arabia and Israel. Both are bastions of American power projection, and the former happily engages in proxy wars with him over Syria and Yemen over regional influence.
- Unsurprisingly, Iran also considers USA one of his biggest enemies, but like he did to Venezuela and Cuba, USA more or less treats him as an Unknown Rival.
- Brutal Honesty: Does not mince his words that much.
- Friendly Enemy: Iran and Turkey have been at each others' throats for hundreds of years, but they still hang out and commiserate from time to time.
- Odd Friendship: Gets along oddly well with Poland, in spite of the latter being highly catholic. Iran feels a significant degree of sympathy towards him due to his violent history of getting invaded by various regional powers time to time, and provided safe haven for him during World War 2.
- Retired Badass: Not that he's a pushover today, but at various points in his history he's been one of the most powerful empires on earth.
- We Used to Be Friends: He and USA used to be good friends when he was still Pahlavi Iran, but it was all thrown out of the window when he became the Islamic Republic.
- Butt-Monkey / Trauma Conga Line: Has been involved in a lot of conflicts and wars.
- Crapsack World: Something he shares with Syria, as he has to deal with ISIS and the Kurds vying for independence from him. Thanks to his determination, he is slowly steering away from this.
- Determinator: The constant wars and conflicts were terrible for him, but he constantly strives to improve his situation. His insistence on doing so results in him liberating his territories from ISIS recently, and continues handling the Kurds.
- The Eeyore: He is rarely seen smiling or laughing. Not that he didn't have any good reasons to, though.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Syria. Their flag similarities, being predominantly Muslim, and having a lot of conflicts inside themselves reinforce this trope.
- Hot-Blooded: Described as such.
- Nosy Neighbor: To Kuwait during the Gulf War. Saying that he is very interested in taking his clay is an understatement.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Used to universally be portrayed as only reluctantly going along with the whole democracy thing only under threat of more war with the United States and someone who would snap back to a genocidal dictatorship if given half a chance. However since his rather passionate struggle against ISIS hes now more frequently portrayed as a determinator dedicated to ridding the world of evil.
- We Used to Be Friends: Inverted. He has had pretty tense relationships with a lot of western countries in the past (particularly USA and UK), but has become quite friendly with them these days, as he is grateful at them for helping him remove ISIS, although past occurrences still make their relationships kind of rocky. The same could be said about Iran as well◊.
- Arch-Enemy: Palestine.
- Badass Israeli: He doesn't normally throw the first punch, but if you provoke him, you're unlikely to come out of it in one piece.
- Black Comedy: Holocaust jokes are a staple, as are anti-Semitic stereotypes played for laughs (see Greedy Jew below).
- Composite Character: He represents both the modern state of Israel and the Jewish people as a whole.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The Holocaust was terrible for him (even though technically he didn't exist during that time).
- The Eeyore: Rarely smiles or laughs. For some reason.
- Greedy Jew: Is often drawn to money and won't lose a chance to get some coins.
- Man Behind the Man: Often depicted as a puppetmaster.
- Manipulative Bastard: He can be quite good at manipulating USA and Germany, by tempting the former with food or guilt-tripping the latter about the Holocaust.
- Messianic Archetype: Amusingly, he is also used as a stand-in for Jesus (who was Jewish) whenever a cross is depicted in the comic with Israelcube hanging from it.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Is a (hyper)cube because of Jewish Physics.
- Not So Different: His relationship with China is less than pleasant, but they are more similar than they let on, as seen here◊.
- The Omniscient: He is a four-dimensional hypercube, so he can experience all past, future and present at once as explained here◊.
- Physical God: Not usually, but on occasion has stood in for the Abrahamic God.
- Unknown Rival: He has a lot of enemies who wanted him dead, but with the exception of Palestine, he more or less acts indifferent towards them.
- Cool Shades: Is often drawn wearing one.
- Nice Guy: He is very polite and does not have many enemies asides from ISIS.
- Odd Friendship: He has a pretty amicable relationship with Israel, albeit begrudgingly and in-paper-only.
- Only Sane Man: Asides from Oman and Kuwait, he is one of the more normal countries in the Middle East. Despite being sandwiched between countries who all have their own conflicts and has to take in their refugees, he has been able to keep himself stable.
- The Remnant: Of the Hashemite monarchies that ruled the Hezaj for hundreds of years and, briefly, Iraq and Syria.
- Arab Oil Sheikh: He has a lot of oil and his currency is the strongest in the world, so comics that do bother featuring him will show him pretty rich.
- Arch-Enemy: Got bullied a lot by Iraq in the gulf war.
- Odd Friendship: Sometimes is portrayed as getting along oddly well with Iran, even though it is pretty much one-sided◊.
- Only Sane Man: Counts as this both amongst the Middle East and the Saudi-led Gulf Nations. Apart from the Iraqi invasion in the Gulf War, he has been doing well for himself (as evidenced by his Arab Oil Sheikh status) and is a mediator among the aforementioned Gulf nations.
- Out of Focus: He only appears in comics that are about the Gulf War really. Other times he'll be lucky to be a background character.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: He is smaller than most other Gulf Countries, but is one of the richest amongst them. Also see Arab Oil Sheikh above.
- Unfortunate Names: In this comic.◊
- Catchphrase: "Oh."
- Genki Guy: Is a happy-go-lucky guy in general.
- Nice Guy: Is the nicest out of all the Arabian countries. He noticeably hasn't had any civil unrest yet, and even maintains a good relationship with Iran.
- Only Sane Man: One of the more normal Middle East nations alongside Jordan and Kuwait, considering the geopolitical woes his neighbors had.
- Out of Focus: Not as bad as Kuwait, but he does not have much comics focusing on him.
- Team Switzerland: It has been joked that he is the Switzerland of the Arabs, as he stays out from any regional conflicts coming from his neighborhood.
- Arch-Enemy: Israel. It's been stated that they'll probably go on fighting until the end of time.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: The Little Guy to his neighbor/best friend's Jordan's Big Guy.
- Commonality Connection: Recognizing him and hating Israel is a good way for one to get on his good side.
- Determinator: Constantly wants to improve his situation. No matter how much times he was pushed back by Israel, he is still kicking.
- Odd Friendship: With India, who is predominantly Hindu, and is also a friend of Israel. The fact that India gives a lot of aid to him helps. He even cites that he started to like him over Pakistan.
- The Runt at the End: Often portrayed as this amongst the Middle East nations.
- Adipose Rex: Sometimes he is depicted as fat like America because of his wealth and the fact he is an absolute monarchy.
- Arch-Enemy: Iran, over regional influence.
- The Bully: Can act like this towards his neighbors, specially to Qatar...
- Cool Shades: Occasionally wears one.
- Cultural Posturing: Believes that he's the only true Muslim country.
- On a bad day, he even believes he's the only true Arab country.
- Expressive Shirt: Similar to Brazil, the shahada on his flag is sometimes altered in certain comics though this will only be noticeable to Arabic speakers.
- Holier Than Thou: Due to being home of two of the holiest sites in all of Islam, he holds this attitude in regards to secular Muslims.
- Large and in Charge: The largest country in the Middle East as a whole, and is often shown taking charge or leading the other Arabophone nations in their daily agendas.
- Odd Friendship: Gets along better with Israel than you would expect.
- With the US and several other Western countries as well; the oil trade makes up for their immense Values Dissonance.
- Mask of Sanity: Despite being The Stoic, he has a very unhinged side◊: he uses the ancient Assyrian methods of torture to silence his critics. Amusingly he botches it pretty badly by following it to the letter.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: And how! He notably revels in his ability to be so socially backwards compared to just about everyone else.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: One of the most controversial nations around. He does have his allies, and most of his neighbors try not to get on his bad side, but it's basically only because of his oil and trigger-happiness.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: His vast oil reserves mean other countries tend to let him get away with a lot. Sometimes even he's confused by how well it works for him.◊
- The Stoic: The long, thin sword gives the appearance of a level mouth on a countryball. Expect this to receive special attention if Venezuela and Mauritania make an appearance in the same comic.
- The sunglasses that he occasionally wears reinforce this trope.
- Straw Misogynist: Has a really poor record of women's rights, even though he recently allowed them to vote and drive, its still a long way to go.
- Uncle Pennybags: Comics that feature him will often highlight how rich he is.
- Crapsack World: Owing to his civil war. And it won't end with defeating ISIS.
- Nothing that can't be put to song!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Iraq.
- Proxy War: While he's invariably at war with himself, the numerous sides he has been split into are supported to varying degrees by other folks like Iran, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the US to name a few.
- War Refugee: One who Europe has pretty mixed feelings about.
United Arab Emirates