open/close all folders
- Actual Pacifist: Is very neutral and does not have an army.
- Identical Stranger: Has an unfortunate striking resemblance to North Korea, considering they are polar opposites in personalities.
- Nice Girl: Peace-loving, neutral, friendly, and a pacifist, she is a freaking treasure in the Polandball world.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: She is very peaceful and environmentally friendly.
- Only Sane Man: Can count as one, as she is sandwiched in the middle of a pretty volatile region, and is doing relatively well for herself compared to other Central American countries, along with Panama.
- Team Switzerland: One of the most neutral countries besides Switzerland and Liechtenstein, as shown in this comic.◊
- I Just Want to Be Special: Is willing to do anything, even murder, to obtain recognition.
- Argentina Is Nazi-Land: Is sometimes depicted as a Nazi sympathizer due to harboring several fugitives post-WW2.
- Arch-Enemy: The UK due to the Falklands debacle. UKball for his part regards him as a bothersome nuisance.
- Berserk Button: Argentina is white!
- UK refusing to gib Malvinas/Falklands.
- Cultural Posturing: Since he became Pope he feels he can finally become more relevant than Brazil on the world stage and join the ranks of the European Nations. Yeah, good luck Argentina.
- Expressive Sun: The sun on his flag will change expression depending on his mood. It seems that it has a mind of its own sometimes.
- Jerkass: Is an arrogant know-it-all who often mocks his neighbours.
- Nice Hat: Rarely is seen without his popehat nowadays.
- The Rival: Brazil as far as sports are concerned.
- Butt-Monkey: South America's punching bag. Nearly every joke about him is about being landlocked, specially being from Chile.
- Dream-Crushing Handicap: Wants to be a naval power. Has no coastline. Tries to compensate with his half of Lake Titicaca, but it's just not the same.
- Enemy Mine: Bolivia can't stand Peru, but both usually are united for their mutual hate/rivalry with Chile.
- Running Gag: Bolivia cannot into sea.
- Unknown Rival: With Chile.
- Arch-Enemy: Since the 2014 World Cup, he regards Germany as his due to humiliating him in his own home, exceeding his own rivalry with Argentina and crossing straight into this territory.
- Berserk Button:
- Do not call him "monkey".
- He also doesn't like when people think Spanish to be his language.
- Break the Cutie: Losing to Germany in the 2014 World Cup was pretty traumatising for him, yet he manages to take it in stride. A handful of comics instead play the trope perfectly straight, however...
- Black Sheep: The only Lusophone country in Latin America.
- The Dutiful Son: Is this to Portugal where possible, as seen leaping to his defense here.
- Expressive Shirt: The words "ORDEM E PROGRESSO" may be replaced by anything amusing for the situation, such as "Oh, Crap!" and, of course, "Hue", so it pays to look closely.
- Foil: To Argentina, as they consider each other rivals. Their general portrayal and opinions towards their roots also contrast each other.
- Also to Indonesia as well. They both used to be powerful in the past, own the biggest amount of forests in the world, and hide a lot of problems within themselves. However, the general portrayal of their personalities, relationships with their neighbors and opinions of their respective parents Netherlands and Portugal couldn't be more different. They do share one thing in common though.
- Genki Guy: Is always jovial.
- Gentle Giant: Powerful and a great soccer player, but a rather cheery guy whose only dialogue seems to consist of HUE.
- The Hyena: 90% of all comics involving Brazil will have variations on "HUE HUE HUE" (the Brazilian onomatopoeia for laughter) taking up at least a significant chunk of its dialogue. Sometimes it'll be the only thing Brazil says.
- Insistent Terminology: Tends to frequently refer to Uruguay as "Cisplatina" because of its previous past as a Brazilian province.
- Man on Fire: While typical for countries going a crisis to be depicted this manner, in Brazil's case it's almost quite literal to reference to the Amazon fires caused by his pyromaniacal tendencies.
- Mixed Ancestry: In contrast with Argentina's vehemence about being European, Brazil is quite vocally proud of his African and Amerindian heritage as well as his Portuguese roots.
- National Animal Stereotypes: Often compared to or asked about monkeys. Never with good intentions.
- Nice Guy: He is frequently characterized as a friendly, good-natured and laidback. Though not to the same level as Canada and the Nordic countries, Brazil can befriend even the most insular countries like Iran, China or Russia, while being friendly to the West at the same time.
- Nice Hat: A carnival pork-pie hat. Although during actual Carnival, he's likelier to wear some eccentric feather crown or mask.
- Not So Different:
- Perpetual Smiler: While he doesn't have a mouth, its clear he is smiling with his eyes.
- Pyromaniac: Less sympathetic portrays show him gleefully burning down the Amazon Forest for shits and giggles, which puts him in Not So Different light to his foil Indonesia.
- Retired Bad Ass: The Brazilian Empire was a force to reckoned with but you wouldn't know it today.
- So Proud of You: Portugal's favorite filho. His façade of success keeps his father going.
- Stepford Smiler: Seen here. Brazil deals with so many problems such as crime, corruption, economic crisis, internet limitations, and even ISIS threats, but he puts up with a smiley facade that is just cracking underneath.
- Superpowered Evil Side: As the Brazilian Military Regime.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Feijoada, a stew of beans and pork. Brazil is occasionally referred like that much like Muslim countries in general are known in the comics as "kebabs".
- Verbal Tic: HUE tends to be inserted in his dialogue frequently.
- Identical Stranger: Due to flag resemblances, USA tends to confuse him with Texas, as seen here◊.Chile: For last time, gringo, I is Chile! I espeek espanish! I is have INDEPENDENCIA!USA: Speaks Spanish and wants independence... whatever, Texas.
- Mismatched Eyes: Sometimes Chileball has his 2 eyes as the same, in others the star of the flag becomes the eye, all Depending on the Artist.
- Nice Hat: When going to war, he will wear a Pikelhaube or a German Stalhelm. If representing Pinochet's dictatorship, a general's hat.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Sometimes drawn as an ellipsoid to reflect the country's extended coastline. Occasionally Chile is depicted as a snake, or with snake-like characteristics.
- Pride: Tends to boast about his HDI every time he has a chance, or of being more relevant than his South American fellows, and has occasionally compared himself to some of the bigger countries out there.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: That said, he's painfully aware he's not quite there.
- The Rival: Peru. Also Bolivia, following Chile's victory in the War of the Pacific, which resulted in the annexation of Bolivia's coastline.
- Rubber Man: Can actually transform into the aforementioned snake-like form at times, usually when Bolivia's eyeing his coasts again.
- The Unintelligible: For the rest of the continent because his abuse of Chilean slangs (known as "Chilenisms") in every thing he talks.
- Verbal Tic: Various Chilean slangs as "poh" and "wea" are shown in his dialogues.
- Addled Addict: The coke wars may have died down, but his habit hasn't.
- Cocaine Is Bad: It's a serious problem. Like his rival Venezuela's inability to afford toilet paper.
- Getting High on Their Own Supply: If Scarface exists in the Polandball universe, he should probably get to watching it.
- The Rival: Venezuela, bordering Arch-Enemy at times.
- The Stoner: The other poster-boy of this trope in the Polandball universe besides Netherlands, Jamaica, and Uruguay.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Someone has to put up with Suriname's antics.
- Last of His Kind: There where once five Guyanas...◊
- Side Kick: To Sheriff Suriname.
- Ax-Crazy: At his worst, outdoes Best Korea. See below.
- Boisterous Weakling: In reference to the War of the Triple Alliance, he's often portrayed as such for taking on three other nations at once. The result is ... unpleasant.
- Blunt "Yes": When asked if he was really going to fight Argentina, Uruguay and the Empire of Brazil at the same time. This was his answer.◊
- Break the Cutie: The Paraguayan War was a very tragic event for him, causing his downfall and losing most of his men. It took a long time for him to recover.
- Butt-Monkey: South America's other example besides Bolivia. Not only, he is the only other landlocked country, but several comics focus on the War of the Triple Alliance where he was curbstomped.
- Eldritch Abomination: Briefly but memorably here◊.
- Friend in the Black Market: To the entirety of South America, as seen here◊.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Inverted in the War of the Triple Alliance (see Blunt "Yes"). If he did, he'd have a bit more clay in the present day.
- National Animal Stereotypes: Sometimes seen riding or commanding a llama.
- Nice Guy: A common portrayal, although this goes out the window when...
- Nice Hat: When pictured with a hat, he will wear a wool chullo.
- The Rival: ...Chile makes an appearance.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Roasted dove and roasted guinea pig, often eliciting a Big "WHAT?!" from observers.
Suriname, aka. SHERIFF SURINAME!
- Accidental Misnaming: Despite sitting right next to him in South America and the fact that he himself was once named Dutch Guyana, can never get his Side Kick Guyana's name right.
- A Day in the Limelight: Tends to only appear in either A) SHERIFF SURINAME comics or B) in ShoutOuts to SHERIFF SURINAME comics.
- Blatant Lies:The world is an objectively better placethanks to Sheriff Surinaaaaaaaamme!
- Also once claimed to have invented US Customary Units. It stands for "Use Suriname's Customary Units".
- Catchphrase: Suriname is always taking case.
- Clueless Detective: He almost never solves the crimes China sends him on.
- Cool Shades: America thinks they're pretty stylish. Like America, Suriname seems to be able to replace them out of nowhere.
- Cowboy Cop: Likes to think of himself this way.
- Temporal Paradox: Accidentally killed himself while travelling through time, but fixed it (somehow).
- Unknown Rival: To North Korea, of all countries. Suriname seems to think that he's the Nega-Suriname due to their similar designs.
- Expressive Sun: Like Argentina's.
- Only Sane Man: Frequently gets caught up in Brazil's and Argentina's rivalry. He has to make it explicitly clear to them that he's not their clay anymore.
- The Stoner: Since he's the first country to legalize marijuana.
- The Rival: Colombia. Sometimes borders Arch-Enemy levels.
- Sanity Slippage: Often experiencea this, due to the woes that happened recently in his economy.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: If anything, the Spanish curse word mierda is his catchphrase.
- Perpetual Frowner: The placement of the stars on him gives off this appearance, thus making him look rather weird whenever he smiles with his eyes. Compare to Saudi Arabia and Mauritania.
- However with the recent developments in his economy, artist are starting to depict the stars as tears by adjusting the position of this eyes.
- Unknown Rival: He hates the USA and blames him whenever something goes wrong, but USA pays much less attention to him than even Cuba (who is another example).
- Riches to Rags: Was doing okay as oil prices rose. Nowadays he doesn't even have rags to wipe his ass.