The Tropical Lands encompasses the south of Koldenwelt's eastern continent. It is an area predominantly made out of large extensions of jungles and plateaus, and the climate is warm and humid. During ancient times, it was mostly dominated by the ruthless Orichalcum Elf Imperium. A number of races live there, the most prominent being the Khargrim Greatholds, the largest dwarven empire in modernity. However, the region holds its dark corners; at the far east is the sub-region of Abyssus, a battered wasteland which serves as the home of the Legion of Shiarchon and its successors, while at the far west resides the sub-region of Qliphoth, an area infested with poisons where only the most fit and aggressive can survive.
Click here to go back to the main Characters page.
Great-Captain Jalaric Hathgar the Third of Khargrimhold
Heir of Khargrimhold and Great-Captain of the 4th Khargrimhold Company, Jalaric Hathgar is dwarven warrior and the next in line for the throne of the Khargrim Greatholds. Stubborn as a mule and fierce as a lion, he is nonetheless a caring and protective man, which has earned him the admiration of his people and many others beyond dwarven lands. During his early days, he served the mercenary/adventurer band known as the Goldhawks, which would become widely known across the land for its great feats of heroism.
- A Father to His Men: His great dedication to his Company and his people have made him this in the Greatholds' military, as he has earned the respect and admiration of his forces.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon of choice is a greataxe named Guillotine, an ancestral weapon forged by the first Lord-Thane of Clan Jalaric some six generations ago.
- Arch-Enemy: He considers Xacutus the Pyromancer this, though the feeling isn't mutual.
- Badass Boast: The quote above? It was directed to a Sand Drake.
- The Big Guy: During his time with the Goldhawks. Even though he was the shortest in height, the had the attitude of one.
- The Berserker: Especially during his early days. A dwarven rune known as Rage Enchantment is branded on the back of his neck, which gives him increased might at the cost of his stamina.
- Boisterous Bruiser: More so during his early days, where he was, as he himself described, "pumped to the gut with adrenaline".Hathgar: Even if I am a midget to you, I'll show you that... I'm a big fucking dwarf!
- Bring It: His reaction to being told Xacutus would destroy him and his people?Hathgar: Tell your master that I, Jalaric Hathgar, Lord-Thane of Khargrimhold, said this; you can try.
- Fantastic Racism: He has a particularly antipathy towards the Bharloron and Duergar races.
- Fiery Redhead: Red-headed and completely Hot-Blooded.
- The Hero: During Steel of the Plagued Land.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With the monk Kvo Eirik.
- Horse of a Different Color: He rides a war boar named Khegrit.
- My Greatest Failure: Accidentally killing a nobleman's son after he insulted his Clan, leading to him being exiled. He became an adventurer in order to repay the man's father, which he would eventually succeed in doing upon discovering the legendary lost armor of Great-Captain Vunfard Jonthik.
- Pungeon Master: He has the tendency to crack up puns at very unfitting moments, to the chagrin of his companions.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: As the prince of the Greatholds, he is very welcoming and accepting of others, on top of being a generally Nice Guy to everyone who isn't outright evil.
- Red Baron: The Berserker.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The eager and impatient red oni to Kvo Eirik's calm and collected blue oni.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: A prince who isn't afraid to fight in the front lines.
- Shock and Awe: His greataxe is imbued with lightning magic.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Hald-Sleac Kraasteg during The Goldhawk Chronicles.
A monk of the Bheldaral sect, dedicated to the teachings of Thunardormir, Kvo Eirik was assigned to Jalaric Hathgar during his exile in order to guide him to the path of redemption. However, he has secrets of his own; upon birth, he received a blessing from Thunardormir himself which granted him unfathomable power, though for most of his life, he was too afraid to use it, fearing the destruciton he could potentially cause.
- Almighty Janitor: He holds the strength of gods, though he spent most of The Goldhawk Chronicles hiding it from his friends, choosing to simply carrying their equipment and sometimes offering some pieces of advice.
- Arrow Catch: The first sign that he was more than just a pacifistic monk was when Riomara witnessed him grab a crossbow bolt in midair with his bare fingers in The Goldhawk Chronicles.
- Badass Boast: Directed to Khosrovhreiar as he was beaten into a bloody pulp.Eirik: Never again will I allow you to harm another soul. I only ask that you have the courtesy to die quickly.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He fights with nothing but his fists.
- Barehanded Blade Block: During the fight with Old Dead Eye, he parried his stinger with his bare fists.
- Blessed with Suck: This is how he saw his powers during his early days. He believed that it was not for him to decide who should die or not, and that even if he used it, he wouldn't be able to control it, fearing it would lead to disaster. Only after speaking directly to Thunardormir some time after the events of The Goldhawk Chronicles did he fully accept who he was.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Being blessed by the dwarven god makes him not quite a common dwarf anymore, though other than that, his skill is all his own.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Prince Jalaric Hathgar.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When he was forced to reveal his full power in The Goldhawk Chronicles. Many bandits died horribly soon after.Eirik: Great Mother... Please, forgive me while I return your sons and daughters to you.
- Martial Pacifist: He's content to just carrying his friends' luggage and providing them with wisdom. But force his hand and you will regret it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calm and collected blue oni to Hathgar's eager and and impatient red oni.
- Shock and Awe: He holds fantastic power over lightning magic, which greatly empowers his fists.
- The Smart Guy: During The Goldhawk Chronicles.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: During his early days, he held a particularly strong belief that his gift should not be used to kill. After communing with Thunardormir, however, he was convinced that it's okay to use his gift to kill when it involves demons, monsters and other entirely unreasonable creatures.
Thane Ermek Trughs
The Thane of the city of Kunmaldur and a friend of Jalaric Hathgar, Ermek Trughs is a dwarven warrior who wishes to domesticate the deadly monster species known as Dwarf Mauler. He had his family murdered by Black orcs, and has hated all orcish races ever since.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: He was made Thane after defeating a Lympharian invasion on Kunmaldur.
- Cool Helmet: Wears a large helmet adorned with a pair of horns.
- Dual Wielding: He fights by dual-wielding swords imbued with pyromancy runes.
- Fantastic Racism: He absolutely hates orcs, as a group of Black orcs murdered his wife. It complicates things when he needs to travel with Khara, a half-orc, during Steel of the Plagued Land.
- Horse of a Different Color: Fang, a young Dwarf Mauler who is the most tame one Kunmaldur has ever managed to breed. She would, however, be killed in a battle with a Qliphotian Myrmidon during Steel of the Plagued Land.
- Playing with Fire: His swords are imbued with fire magic.
Great-Captain Zonmesir Aslaug
The Great Captain of the 6th Khargrimhold Company, Zonmesir Aslaug is a relatively young dwarven woman who has nonetheless gained the respect of her peers due to her battle prowess, being famed for her fights against the monsters of the Duskwoods.
- Affectionate Nickname: Her friends call her "Thob".
- Drop the Hammer: Her weapon of choice is a silver-plated warhammer named Grim's Bane. It gained its name after it ended the lives of many Grim goblins.
- Fantastic Racism: She doesn't like goblins, due to bad experiences with their kind.
- Happily Married: To the dwarven soldier Litokcog Erib.
- Red Baron: Is known as The Goblin-Slayer.
Sibling-Lord Rizgeez Tinloflink
Sibling-Lord of Whistlehold and the ruler of all gnomes, Rizgeez is one of the advisors of the Khargrim Lord-Thane. While loyal to his dwarven cousins above all else, he believes their stubborness is detriminal to the survival of the Greatholds.
A famed gnome sorcerer and one of Sibling-Lord Tinloflink's councillors. He specializes in binding elementals to his will, though his true goal is to learn how to bind and enslave demons in order to make them usable for the Khargrim Greatholds.
- Embarrassing Last Name: He evidently doesn't like people giggling at his Wily.
- The Ghost: Has not been featured in any stories so far.
- Overprotective Dad: He is worried sick over his daughter Bilrika's insistence in adventuring, thinking she'll eventually get in trouble - or worse.
- Supernormal Bindings: Elementals bound by him wear magical shackles on their arms (which don't actually restrict their movement). They serve to keep the elemental under restraint, so they don't overpower the binder and just flee.
Bilrik Wilybar's daughter, Bilrika is an adventurous young ice mage who wishes to explore the world, much to the protests of her overly protective father. She is a member of Khara Greenforge's party, and is accompanied by Icicle, a small ice elemental who was gifted to her by her father.
- An Ice Person: She is a novice cryomancer, and uses a wand to cast ice magic. Her family, Icicle, is an ice elemental.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Embarrassing Last Name: Much like her father.Anklebiter: Your surname is Willy?Bilrika: Urgh. Someone says that in every city I visit.Khara: Hehehe... Willy.
- Familiar: Icicle, the little ice elemental.
- Height Angst: She doesn't like being called short.
- Only Sane Man: She considers herself the voice of reason in Khara's party, typically pointing how Khara's plans will get her killed,, though Tassarion ends up acting as a less short-tempered voice of reason for Bilrika too.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Icicle is a little ice spirit wearing little shackles who only speaks in high-pitched yelps (which only make sense to Bilrika) and has little ram-like curved horns on its head.
- True Companions: With Khara Greenforge and Tassarion Brighthand.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is an icy blue due to her use of cryomancy.
A young Lagosi warrior who was exiled from his home land of the Kame Isles for not informing the island's government about his encounter with the dreaded Crystalbane, Hachi is an enthusiastic, somewhat perverted and benevolent young man who wants to return to his people.
- Always Save the Girl: Hachi's mentality during War of Vampires, especially after the second half. Saving Clothovera was his number one objective, and the rest of the world came second.
- Artificial Limbs: He has lost his left arm, which has been replaced with enchanted wood from the Kame Isles.
- Badass Adorable: An adorable bunny boy who can kick ass.
- Eyepatch of Power: Just like his arm, he also lost his left eye, which got replaced with an eyepatch.
- The Exile: He has been exiled from the Kame Isles for refusing to inform the Min Lagosi's government about his encounter with Crystalbane.
- The Heart: It's because of him that the Sea Witch has warmed up.
- The Hero: Of Dawning of Distaste and War of Vampires.
- Ideal Hero
- Interspecies Romance: With Clothovera Moirai, a half-elf human. Most who learn of it point out how weird and gross it sounds, though they don't really care.
- Kid Samurai: One who has already experienced plenty of combat.
- Loveable Sex Maniac
- Morality Pet: To the Sea Witch and Kanna.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Everybody calls him just Hachi rather than his full name.
- Righteous Rabbit: Played straight.
- Time Master: His wooden arm, made from the enchanted trees of the Kame Isles, permeates with time magic.
A former Fuqisaran of the Lagosi who was cursed by the monster known as Crystalbane, Kanna currently lives as a mercenary in the eastern continent, where he has exiled himself due to his curse.
- An Ice Person: He has power over cryomancy.
- Berserk Button: Don't call him a bunny.
- Bounty Hunter: Became one to get around in the mainland.
- Body Horror: Up to the events of One Thousand Horns, half of his face was crystallized, which is why he wore the mask.
- Cool Mask: Kanna is always seen wearing an iron mask which hid the curse mark left by Crystalbane. It also serves as protection and as an intimidation tool. With his deformities cured, now he wears it purely for the latter reasons.
- The Cynic: Described as without hope and faith, both in others and himself.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of the most sarcastic characters in the setting, to the point other characters tend to ignore him when he speaks since they know it's just gonna be more snarking.
- Feeling Their Age: He's an elder by Lagosi standards, yet maintains the stamina of a young man. It's implied there is a fantastical reason behind it that he's not yet aware of.
- Odd Friendship: With the Sea Witch.
- Old Soldier: He's been a mercenary for a long time, long enough to be known as "the Headhunter".
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Everyone calls him Kanna rather than his full name.
- No One Should Survive That: Survived a direct hit from Mortium's scythe during War of Vampires, suffering a slash to the neck rather than the typical instant decapitation. The scythe is said to instantly kill anything short of gods...
- Playing with Fire: He also has power over pyromancy.
- Righteous Rabbit: Downplayed. He's not the nicest Lagosi ever, but he's still a hero.
- Red Baron: The Headhunter.
- Revenge: His main motivation. He wants to, one day, return home and get back at Crystalbane for all he's done to him.
- Royal Inbreeding: During his time as Fuqisaran of the Innuaryntai, he was disinterested in bringing in new blood into the tribe, instead choosing to take his grand-niece Jaiqihara as a lover.
- Samurai: He is more or less one, and his weapons of choice are a pair of katanas.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Earath in particular, though his friendships as a whole tend to devolve into this due to his snarky disposition.
The middle brother of the legendary Tide Guardians of the old Marinis Domain, Karps Defastos is one of the last true immortals of Koldenwelt. In the modern day, he lives at Sprak Island, revered by the primitive Caxildiz as a god. He has little interest in the outside world, which he considers lost.
- The Ageless: As a true immortal, he cannot die of old age.
- Breath Weapon: Has been seen launching a beam of energy from his mouth.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered one to the Silver Gargoyles attacking his island during War of Vampires, aided by Harkin.
- Fish People: As an Ondarei Mharinis, he is a giant fish-like being.
- Jerkass: Hates outsiders, and treats even other immortals with annoyance, preferring to keep to his island in peace.
- Stop Worshipping Me: Inverted. Karps isn't divine, but fully accepts the worship he receives from the Caxildiz.
- Time Abyss: Born during the age of immortals, which would make him over twenty thousand years at least. His true age isn't known.
The youngest brother of the legendary Tide Guardians of the old Marinis Domain, Karps Defastos is one of the last true immortals of Koldenwelt. During his early days, he served as the guardian of his kingdom's greatest treasuries, though he was eventually corrupted by the Exacutus Vulcanus. In the modern day, he lives at Sprak Island alongside Karps.
- The Ageless: As a true immortal, he cannot die of old age.
- Body Horror: Exposure to fire magic turned his blue scales a dull brown.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Due to prolonged exposure to the fire magic of the Exacutus Vulcanus, he was turned into a rabid beast until Kinmorunddraver managed to make him regain his senses.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered one to the Silver Gargoyles attacking Sprak Island during War of Vampires, aided by Karps.
- Despair Event Horizon: Once he regained his mind during Inferno Rises, he lost all hope, realizing he had been so easily influenced. Today he spends most of this time in quiet contemplation at the outskirts of the Caxildiz's lands.
- Fish People: As an Ondarei Mharinis, he is a giant fish-like being.
- The Quiet One
- Time Abyss: Born during the age of immortals, which would make him over twenty thousand years at least. His true age isn't known.
The leader of the Caxildiz, a species of primitive Fish People who worship the Ondarei Mharinis Karps as a god.
A Caxildiz who accidentally activated a shard of Demon Crystal at the shores of the main continent, causing him to transform into a follower of Vargash, one of the avatars of Ramainaualmari. From the spot he found the crystal, a expansive forest known as the Fog Forest manifested, and any who approached it became lost, while those who gazed upon the creature itself were haunted by it.
- Big Bad: Of Into the Flesh Forest.
- Body Horror: Half of his body was crystallized.
- Brown Note: Anyone who looked directly at him was haunted by him. The Sea Witch stated she was haunted by the Lost for years until it got to the point she grew used to his presence.
- The Dragon: To the Vargash tendril corrupting the land under the Fog Forest.
- Evil Laugh: The only thing he ever did.
- Expy: Inspired by SCP-303.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: No one knew who he was or what he wanted, at least until his intentions were revealed.
- Human Sacrifice: Attempted to do this to Clothovera Moirai to feed her blood to the tendril of Vargash under the earth, though thankfully, he was stopped right on time.
- Killed Off for Real: Destroyed by Kinmorunddraver during the climax of Into the Flesh Forest.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: One of his abilities was screaming so loud, it caused ear bleeding on his enemies.
- Master of Illusion: He created hundreds of illusions of himself and made them prowl the Fog Forest, giving the impression that an entire subspecies of Caxildiz was inhabiting it. These were known as Dark Caxildiz up to the point the truth was revealed.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: He had more teeth than the standard Caxildiz for sure
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His true name was never discovered.
- Power of the Void: Used Void Magic.
- Primal Fear: He evoked this into anyone who met eyes with him.
- Slasher Smile: His only facial expression.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: In the few occasions the Lost spoke, his voice was literally roaring loud.
- Teleport Spam: Trying to approach the Lost caused him to teleport away faster than anyone could keep track of.
- Vader Breath: Described as often letting out uncomfortable, wheezing sounds.
Freeland City States
I'kan the Golden
Ruler of Senateca, the Freelander city dedicated to Asv-Aldz, I'kan the Golden is a cosmopolitan and philanthropist with a love for exotic lore. He welcomes all who would bring trade to his city, and is greatly interested in investing in adventurers, believing it will help shape the history of the world.
- Chekhov's Gun: He received a magical amulet from Javina Desertsun during The Prophet Stone, with the power to contact her over large distances. He would later use it to request her aid during War of Vampires, leading her to help save Senateca from a vampire invasion.
- Nice Guy: Despite following the Simulacrum of treachery, I'kan is quite friendly, his greatest interest is expanding his knowledge of the outside world.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: To the point even his own people are suspecting he might be an Imperial spy.
- Reluctant Ruler: He is far more interested in a life of adventure than one of leadership. As he doesn't have the chance to experience it himself, he indulges in exotic lore as a passtime.
X'halu the Tempest King
Ruler of Tehuilotl, the Freelander city dedicated to Ramainaualmari, X'halu seeks to expand his dominion in the name of his dark gods, sacrificing a significant portion of his city's peasantry every year to earn the favour of the Merkan Underrealm.
- Body Horror: Zarmagahla has rewarded him for his offerings, giving him a monstrous arm and leg.
- Cool Crown: Decorated with a whole bunch of feathers.
- The Ghost: Hasn't been featured in a story so far.
- Evil Overlord: Fancies himself as one.
- Evil Sorcerer
- Red Baron: The Tempest King.
- Shock and Awe: He has great power over lightning magic.
- Sorcerous Overlord
X'impe the Wraith
A member of the order known as the Llama Warriors, X'impe is loyal servant of Xibatl and a champion of Mortium, the god of death. While intimidating to behold, he is actually a good man who dedicates himself to the destruction of The Undead and all who would create them.
- Berserk Button: Undead. It's his order's job to hunt down undead and those who create them, as they're seen as an offense to Mortium.
- Black Magic: Has power over umbramancy, though he prefers not to practice it, as he consider it intruding into his god's domain. He only uses it as a last resort.
- Cool Mask: In the shape of a skull. Some say it's the skull of the first death knight of Xibatl.
- Dark Is Not Evil: While fearsome, he's quite amiable.
- Dragon Rider: His mount is Xibal'kan, a Bone dragon from the Underworld.
- Dual Wielding: Fights with an obsidian sword in one hand and a steel spear in the other.
- Healing Factor: Can regenerate wounds far quicker than the average man. It was when he survived a stab to the heart that his superiors realized he was truly special.
- Hulk Speak: Speaks like this, but not because he's stupid. He's just not very skilled in New Common.
- Magic Knight: He is the setting's equivalent of the Death Knight archetype, though unlike the usual ones, he's not undead himself and is a fairly nice fellow.
- Nice Guy: When he's not destroying undead, he's quite open for conversation.
- Scars Are Forever: Absolutely covered in scars, many of them self-inflicted.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Wears nothing but a mask and a loincloth, leaving his muscular chest exposed.
An undead pirate, cursed to sail the ocean until the death of Tangilaruka, N'hali and his crew of animated skeletons terrorize the southern seas, displaying no mercy as plunders and kills to expand his booty. His ultimate goal, however, is the death of the sea monster who took his life.
- An Ice Person: His blue flames are cryomancy, and he displays great skill with ice magic.
- Archnemesis Dad: Towards his daughter R'hiza Saltstrider.
- Breath Weapon: Can let out a "scurvy breath", which is a sickening green mist which causes those who inhale it to begin coughing blood... in short, giving them super-scurvy.
- The Captain: Captain of The Eye of the Maelstrom, a cursed ship sailed by the dead.
- Curse: For as long as Tangilaruka lives, N'hali and his crew will never be able to rest.
- Beard of Evil: While lacking in skin, he still has a massive beard under his skeletal jaw.
- Dem Bones: He's an animated skeleton.
- Despair Event Horizon: Watching his soulmate and his crew be devoured by Tangilaruka made him go past it.
- Driven to Madness: Years of being plagued by Zarmagahla's whispers have turned him crazy. A very dangerous sort of crazy at that.
- Evil Laugh: Often.
- Evil vs. Evil: Despite being cursed by Zarmagahla, he hates him and his Merkan servants for making him undead, and delights in the chance to fight and kill them.
- Expy: A mash-up of Captain Ahab (a sailor with a vendetta against a sea monster) and Captain Davey (an undead pirate who meddles with eldritch forces).
- Father Neptune: An evil one at that.
- Ghost Pirate
- Ghost Ship: His ship, The Eye of the Maelstrom. Crewed by the undead, too!
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: His equivalent of eyes are a pair of blue fireballs in his eye sockets.
- Interspecies Romance: Fell in love with the Erylia elf named Azara Flarae, with the two having a daughter named R'hiza.
- Nice Hat: Wears a nice tricorne hat, even in undeath.
- Pirate Parrot: An undead one, at that. It is, in fact, named Crackers. N'hali likes to flick its head with his finger, so its head starts wobbling.
- Poisonous Person: See Breath Weapon above.
- Red Baron: The Undying Captain, The Colossus Hunter.
- Sinister Scimitar: His weapon of choice is a cutlass.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Arr, he speaks like this.
- Technicolor Fire: Heavily associated with blue flames.
- Unknown Rival: He wishes death upon Tangilaruka, the New Colossus of Water. Tangilaruka herself is barely aware he exists.
- Unwitting Pawn: Of Zarmagahla, who cursed him with undeath.
An infamous and powerful woman driven by limitless ambition, Captain R'hiza Saltstrider seeks treasure and adventure in order to accumulate vast wealth and satisfy her own ceaseless thirst for thrills and wisdom alongside eventually discover a means to restore the lost life and sanity of her dear father, N'hali Brineheart, and keep the southern sea free from total Imperial and dwarven ownership.
- Archnemesis Dad: N'hali Brineheart is this to her. While she has disowned him, in truth she seeks means to break him of his curse, and perhaps restore his life and sanity.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-Freelander human, half-Erylia elf, which gives her an exotic appearance.
- Hot-Blooded: Extremely enthusiastic, she is driven by seemingly endless confidence.
- Karmic Thief: She only plunders the rich and wealthy, having no interest in bringing harm to the weak and poor.
- The Lad-ette: Has an attitude befitting of a Boisterous Bruiser, despite being a woman.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Described as very reckless, which has endangered her life and that of her crew multiple times in the past.
- Nice Hat: She wears a tricorne hat.
- Playing with Fire: Making good use of her Erylian heritage, she's a potent pyromancer.
- Pirate: Nicer than the usual one, unless you're evil or a rich nobleman.
- Retcon: She was originally conceptualized as a Derevar elf, but due to them being an entire race of The Stoic, it was deemed inappropriate.
- Sinister Scimitar: Her weapon of choice is a cutlass given the name of Widowmaker.
- The Tease: Towards Pelagrios Sea-Cutter, if only to steal his rum when he isn't looking.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: During Wrath of Night, she was the tomboy to Lyra Shinerun's girly girl.
Throne of Qliphoth
An Oevrumine mercenary and bounty hunter who operates through the land. An enthusiast of war and conflict, she is regarded as an intimidating presence by many due to her joyous affiliation with bloodshed and her barbaric mannerisms, although in truth she deems herself as little more than a soldier birthed and forged for little else other than fighting, incapable of adjusting to a lifestyle without conflict and being anything more than a living weapon.
- Abusive Parents: Her father treated her like absolute crap during her childhood, eventually leading her to flee Qliphoth.
- A Load of Bull: She's a minotaur.
- Anti-Hero: A violent Blood Knight, disillusioned with her chances of ever being able to live a normal life, though she is solidly on the side of good.
- Anti-Magic: Like other Oevrumine, her presence repels magic around her, making it ineffective. Whenever her companions were haunted by the whispers of Zarmagahla, Saranhreia couldn't listen to them at all, as they were magical in nature.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: The Brawn to Khadya's Beauty and Filonan's Brains.
- Big Eater: Often seeing snacking on something.
- The Big Guy: Or gal.
- Blade on a Stick: Her weapon of choice is a halberd named Hatred.
- Blinded by the Light: Like other minotaurs, she has sensitive eyes and dislikes bright lights in her eyes.
- Blood Knight: She loves combat. Her suggestion on the best means to take on a feral wyvern?Saranhreia: I say we grab its attention and face it head-on! Three against one is good odds!
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Book Dumb: She is hardly an idiot, but due to having be raised as a child soldier, she never received any education.
- Bounty Hunter: Her profession.
- Challenge Seeker: The reason she visited Hyperion Island during Angels of the Hunting Isle. She got her wish alright.
- Child Soldiers: Was trained into the arts of war since her pre-teen years, leading her to not learn other basic skills like literary practice, cooking and mathematics until much later in life.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Khadya and Filonan.
- Harmful to Minors: Due to being raised as a weapon of war, Saranhreia struggles to live a normal life.
- It's Quiet Too Quiet: Complains about this as her party hunted Keasmins during Angels of the Hunting Isle, mostly because she was growing increasingly bored.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Her reaction to an Yakadiar's Vader Breath;Saranhreia: I don't. Like. Wheezing. Things that wheeze are never good!
- Red Baron: The Nomad Juggernaut.
- Sole Survivor: When she and her loyal soldiers attempted to flee Qliphoth, they were all slaughtered by Mivtanreior, leaving her as the only one able to escape.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Khadya and Filonan, being most vitriolic towards Khadya in particular.
A gnoll rogue native from Qliphoth, Hald-Sleac joined a band of cutthroats and left the place due to his dislike for the local minotaurs, becoming a highwayman of renowned skill. His companions eventually either died or departed, leaving him alone until he got into a tavern argument with a certain dwarf. This led him to join the posse that would later become the Goldhawks, one of the most famed adventurer parties of modernity.
- Anti-Hero: His actions were heroic because he hanged around heroes. He never considered himself a force of good.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fantastic Racism: He showed great distaste for all Oevrumine. After leaving the Goldhawks, he briefly hunted and murdered them for sport to vent his frustration.
- Knife Nut: He primarily fought by using daggers.
- Greed: His main motivation. He nearly let himself be killed by Xitannoth because he was unwilling to let go of a heavy sack of gold and riches.
- The Highwayman: His occupation before joining the Goldhawks.
- Killed Off for Real: Died of old age 12 years before the events of The Curse of Visonia, as his former comrades found out when they were looking for him.
- Nice Hat: He wore a hat with a feather on it.
- Nominal Hero
- Only in It for the Money: The main reason he stuck around with the Goldhawks for as long as he did. While they did befriend him over time, money was still his primary motivation.
- Token Evil Teammate: Not evil per se, but he never considered himself a hero, being in mostly for the money. That being said, he did develop an affection for the other Goldhawks over time.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Jalaric Hathgar during The Goldhawk Chronicles.
- Weapon of Choice: Daggers.
A fearsome Oevrumine suffering from albinism who held sway over a small army of bandits and marauders. He terrorized the west during the time of the Goldhawks, first encountering them at the elven town of Tolthe. Since then, he became the Arch-Enemy of the band of adventurers.
- A Load of Bull: He was a minotaur.
- An Arm and a Leg: Eirik ripped one of his arms off during his fight.
- An Axe to Grind: His main weapon was a massive greataxe.
- Anti-Magic: Like other Oevrumine, his presence repelled magic. Khosrovhreiar was, in fact, tremendously strong even for a minotaur, enough to make him entirely immune to magic.
- Arch-Enemy: Of the Goldhawks.
- The Berserker: He fought with unparalleled ferocity. Striking him only made him more furious.
- Big Bad: Of The Goldhawk Chronicles.
- Blood Knight: To frightening extents.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered one to the Goldhawks during their final confrontation, before being on the receiving end of one by Kvo Eirik, who broke nearly every bone in his body with his bare hands. He went from laughing in confidence to screaming in terror.
- The Dreaded: He was widely feared across the towns of the west.
- Eye Scream: Had a torch shoved into his eyes during his first encounter with the Goldhawks, courtesy of Hald-Sleac.
- Healing Factor: All minotaurs heal at an increased rate compared to humans, but Khosrovhreiar's regenerative powers were such that he shrugged off nearly every attack thrown at him with impunity.
- Killed Offscreen: Killed by rangers of the Sovereignty of Dryada some time before the Goldhawks encountered his remains. Finding out their nemesis had been killed by someone else was the last nail on the band's coffin, marking its dissolution.
- Made of Iron: Oevrumine are extremely resilient, but Khosrovhreiar took it Up to Eleven. He endured stabs, arrows, poison and even being beaten to the brink of death by Kvo Eirik, and he still survived.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Due to his albinism, his eyes were red. And he was, in fact, dangerous.
- Slasher Smile: Sports once as he charges into battle with the Goldhawks.
The son of Khosrovhreiar, Eryxhreion is an Oevrumine sellsword who, like his father, suffers from albinism. However, he has no interest in following in the dark footsteps of his parent, instead choosing to be an adventurer, exploring the land and seeking means to aid his stagnant people.
- A Load of Bull: An Oevrumine, like his father. But that's where the similarities ended.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon of choice was a greataxe.
- Annoying Arrows: Treated an arrow to the neck as a mere inconvenience. Justified as he's an Oevrumine and has natural Super Toughness.
- Badass Boast: Towards Mivtanreior in their final confrontation.Eryxhreion: No longer shall my people live in fear of your shadow, but they shall dance in it when I parade your corpse through the Throne!
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrificed himself to keep Mivtanreior restrained as he was fed the sacred fruit of Eostraeya. He was wounded to the point the fruit was no longer able to help him by the time the fight was over.
- Nice Guy: A contrast to most other Oevrumine, Eryxhreion was a genuinely friendly man.
An old and disgraced warlord, Mivtanreior did what no other minotaur ever thought; he slaughtered a village of fae and covered himself in their magic dust, infusing himself in it. The Oevrumine, belonging to a race not meant to be magical, was transformed into a hulking, maddened behemoth of a man, who would prowl the borders of Qliphoth for the next several decades, killing anyone who attempted to enter - or leave. Because of it, the Throne of Qliphoth was content to leave him alone, as he served as a better border control than anything they could come up with. Until he regained his mind...
- A Load of Bull: He was a minotaur once. But not anymore.
- An Axe to Grind: He could manifest an axe head of arcane magic over his arm, effectively turning his hand into a greataxe.
- Body Horror: His magical infusion caused him to become a monstrous thing, with oversized arms and horns, resembling a minotaur with the proportions of a gorilla.
- Big Bad: Of Steel of the Plagued Land.
- Brought Down to Normal: Upon being fed one of Eostraeya's sacred fruit, his mutations were cured, turning him back into a normal Oevrumine.
- The Dreaded: The Oevrumine are a race of massive Blood Knight minotaurs. Mivtanreior made them cower.
- It Can Think: The heroes (and even the other antagonists) became positively terrified when they realized he could not only think, he could also talk.
- Killed Off for Real: After being Brought Down to Normal, he was stabbed in the throat by a dragon's tooth, ending his life.
- Motor Mouth: Inverted. He struggled to speak, and did so in a very paused manner.
- Nigh-Invulnerable: Such was his strength that he was effectively immune to damage. Only by turning him back to normal was Hathgar's party able to kill him.
- Red Baron: The Demon of the Border. Also, the Outcast Demigod.
- The Virus: Mivtanreior's Frenzy, which was contracted by coming in contact with his fairy dust after he regained his mind. Any creature affected by it would turn into a frenzied, berserk beast under his control.
- Was Once a Man: He was once a minotaur, but infusing his body with magic transformed him into a hulking monstrosity.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Infusing himself with magic made him the most powerful minotaur in the world, but it also completely broke his mind. For the following decades, he was little more than an animal.
- The Worf Effect: He appeared when Hathgar's party was confronting the werehyena Syl-Rheah. He absolutely destroyed her.
Orichalcum Elf Imperium
Crown Prince Septimus Castus Matthias Laurentius
Formerly the heir of the Orichalcum Elf Imperium's throne, Septimus is now one of the two still living Orichalcum Elves in Koldenwelt. He is Imperator Kalarah's older brother and has spent the last five thousand years in hiding, until recent events required him to return to the international scene.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brains to Longinus's Brawn.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments.
- The Hero: The closest thing to a main protagonist in Eschaton.
- Last of His Kind: One of the two remaining Orichalcum Elves in Koldenwelt, alongside Longinus.
- Odd Friendship: With the rest of the Warriors of Dar-Nahalant.
- Really 700 Years Old: About 6,000 years ago.
- Red Baron: The Kind, The Betrayer.
- The Smart Guy: While his race was naturally powerful, Septimus himself isn't a warrior, and instead focuses on finding whatever information is required for his allies to accomplish their goal.
Lord Grandmaster Crusader Tarquinius Silvanus Saturninus Longinus
The last Lord Grandmaster Crusader of the Order of Sol, Longinus is now one of the two still living Orichalcum Elves in Koldenwelt. He wields the artifact known as Aurtalvaseius' Wrath, a spear blessed by Soldalatel, and currently resides at the fortress of Dar-Nahalant.
- Back from the Dead: Was killed by Lord Akharav during Shroud of the Sun, but was brought back in the same story by Asv-Aldz in exchange of a massive golden statue of Soldalatel.
- Badass Army: He once led one, the Order of Sol.
- Blade on a Stick: Aurtalvaseius' Wrath, an artifact spear blessed with immense power over sun magic.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn to Septimus's Brains.
- Celibate Hero: Typically misses or ignores sexual advances, if he doesn't outright refuse them. It's implied to have been a thing in general among all members of the Order of Sol.
- Characterization Marches On: Originally introduced as an antagonistic figure. His character quickly cemented into an Anti-Hero, however.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered one to the bandits trying their hand at him in his Tales of Champions story.
- Deadpan Snarker: He's not the nicest guy around.
- The Dreaded: The mere mention of Longinus' name frightens the higher hierarchy of the Shiarchon, even Kalarah was afraid of him.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Last of His Kind: One of the two remaining Orichalcum Elves in Koldenwelt, alongside Septimus.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Delivered one to Leviathan during Winter of Discontent.
- Odd Friendship: With Arcturus.
- The Power of the Sun: One of the last wielders of sun magic in Koldenwelt.
- Really 700 Years Old: About 10,000 years ago.
- Red Baron: The Sun Claimer, The Golden Terror, Constantius' Bane.
- Unscrupulous Hero: Ruthless, but ultimately well-intentioned.
Legion of Shiarchon
Imperator Constantius Castus Matthias Laurentius
Imperator of the Legion of Shiarchon, Constantius Castus (now most known by the name of Kalarah) is the mortal champion of Caligaduro Provectus, the Simulacrum of destruction.
- And I Must Scream: The ultimate fate of his soul, which was sent to Nothing to be tortured for eternity for his hubris.
- Arch-Enemy: He considered his brother Septimus this.
- BFS: Wielded a massive darkstone sword sporting eleven shards of the Gladiitenebris, the blade of Caligaduro Provectus.
- Big Bad: Of Terminus, War for the Eye, The Forgotten Lands, and Eschaton. During his time alive, he was one of the main contenders for the title of main antagonist of the entire setting.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Septimus' Abel.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered one to Xacutus at the end of Fall of Talmyr, though the pyromancer survived the incident relatively unscathed.
- Dark Is Evil
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: He tried this against Caligaduro Provectus. It came back to bite him in the ass later.
- The Dreaded
- The Emperor: Or Imperator, rather.
- Enemy Civil War: During the Eschaton, he sought means to become greater than even Caligaduro, which earned the latter's ire. By the end of it, the Void forsook him entirely.
- Enemy Mine: Briefly employed the aid of Xacutus so he'd help him conquer Talmyr, though their partnership was very short-lived.
- Evil Overlord
- The Evil Prince: Even before becoming a Shiarchon.
- Evil Sorcerer: The greatest wielder of Void Magic who wasn't a demon.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: Sangua Mons.
- Evil vs. Evil: Due to his self-centered loyalties, other entities associated with the Void became his enemies, such as Janos Omegon, Vanguard and Leviathan. Among his enemies was also Xacutus the Pyromancer.
- Expy: Of Sauron.
- Faux Affably Evil: He made himself appear fair to the Orichalcum Elves, but his intentions were anything but.
- Horse of a Different Color: His mount was Penumbra, a two-headed dragon-like demon.
- Killed Off for Real: Was finally destroyed at the end of Eschaton.
- Patricide: Killed his father to take the crown of the Orichalcum Elf Imperium.
- Really 700 Years Old: About 6,000 years ago.
- Red Baron: The Black Crown, the Colossal Hand, The Fallen Lord, Lord of the Fallen Kings, Scion of the Colossus... the list goes on for a while.
- Sorcerous Overlord
- Start of Darkness: Terminus tell the story of how he killed his father and took the throne, turning the Orichalcum Elves into the Shiarchon.
- Villainous Breakdown: Had one in Fall of Talmyr upon seeing Valentinianus be killed by Hachi and Longinus, letting out a furious roar and demanding their party be killed on the spot.
- Villainous Friendship: With Praetor Valentinianus. He didn't take it well when he fell in combat.
Praetor Valentinianus Septimius Vergilius Iovita
The first commander of the Legion of Shiarchon and Imperator Kalarah's closest confidant, Valentinianus was a fearsome figure, seen both as a hero and a monster by his own people.
- Dark Is Evil
- The Dragon: To Kalarah.
- Dragon Rider: His mount was a Blood Drake.
- The Dreaded: Even by other Shiarchon.
- Expy: Of Legate Lanius.
- Killed Off for Real: Died in a battle with Hachi and Longinus during Fall of Talmyr.
- Large and in Charge: He was huge, even for a Shiarchon. Legends claimed he was half-giant.
- Really 700 Years Old: Around 6,500 years ago.
- Red Baron: The Giant Death, the Eyeless Terror.
- Villainous Friendship: With Imperator Kalarah. He was the only one he considered a true friend.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kalarah, and his cause. The thought of all being consumed by the Void thrilled him.Valentinianus: A non-existence of Isiris. I would not have it any other way.
Imperator Julianus Franciscus Hadrianus Everardus
Formerly one of the Praetors of the Legion of Shiarchon, Julianus became the commander of the Legion's armies upon the death of Valentinianus, and later crowned himself the Imperator of the New Adravaelic Empire, the direct successor of the Legion.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Arcturus' Abel.
- Dark Is Evil: Very evil.
- Disney Death: Seemingly died after being thrown off the balcony of Azhnatmukand, though he somehow survived the fall, and later returned home with the help of the Gros.
- Dragon Ascendant: First became the ruler of the Legion's armies upon Valentinianus's death, and later crowned himself Imperator after Kalarah's defeat. He has become one of the major power players of Abyssus, fighting for dominance with High Prophet Amusturrnys and Arcturus.
- Evil Overlord: Fashioned himself into a particularly savage one.
- Off with His Head!: What he did to the Praetors who wouldn't pledge their allegiance to him.
- Really 700 Years Old: A little over 5,000 years ago.
- Red Baron: Devil of Aevrusarkand.
Lord Arcturus Franciscus Hadrianus Everardus
Formerly one of the Praetors of the Legion of Shiarchon, Arcturus was defeated and captured by the Warriors of Dar-Nahalant. Even under the Legion, he was against the brutal ways of his brother Julianus, which ultimately led him to change sides. Today, he is the lord of the Adravaelic Ascendancy, a faction of Shiarchon who have forsaken their bloodthirsty ways.
High Prophet Amusturrnys
The leader of the Prophets of the Void, Amusturrnys seeks to continue where Imperator Kalarah failed and bring the Void back to Koldenwelt.
Prophet Maximilianus Cassian Martialis Lucretius
One of the more notable members of the Prophets of the Void, Maximilianus is known for creating the Khorloron and the Sable Smeevers. He delights in creating or enslaving other races to serve the One Lord.
- Animal Motifs: His armor has a wolf theme to it.
- Dark Is Evil
- The Dragon: To High Prophet Amusturrnys.
- Evil Genius
- Evil Sorcerer
- The Man Behind the Man: The true head of the Black Bone Horde, brainwashing it into obedience.
- Oh, Crap!: His reaction to Longinus killing Leviathan.
- Summon Magic: Summoned a group of lesser Void Denizens to confront the heroes during Shroud of the Sun, including denizens of Crystallis and Pavor. Whether he retains this power after the end of Eschaton is unknown.
- Really 700 Years Old: A little less than 5,000 years ago.
Leviathan the Amaranthine
Leader of the Shiarchon Excubitor and Ambroscus ranks, Leviathan was the mightiest of all Shiarchon and a weapon of destruction of Caligaduro Provectus. He delivered divine retribution to all who opposed the will of the One Lord.
- BFS: Carried an immense darkstone greatsword given the name of Soul Cleaver.
- Cool Helmet: Which completely obscured his face.
- Deadpan Snarker: Displayed some surprising sass when interacting with Xacutus in Darkest Before Dawn.
- The Dragon: To High Prophet Amusturrnys, though he answered mostly to Caligaduro Provectus directly.
- Expy: Of Pyramid Head.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed by Longinus during Winter of Discontent.
- Meaningful Name: Amaranths are short-lived plants, but the word itself translates from Dark Elvish to 'unfading'. Amaranthine, meanwhile, means 'everlasting'.
- Nigh-Invulnerable: Immune to damage from conventional weapons and most schools of the Source. An explosion only managed to make him stumble. His sole weakness was sun magic.
- The Quiet One: Rarely said a word. During The Golden Necropolis, he outright didn't speak. In later appearances, he spoke, but only in brief occasions.
- Really 700 Years Old: Around 5,000 years old.
- Red Baron: The Invincible.
- Vader Breath: His sole means of communication during The Golden Necropolis.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Always bare-chested, not that he needed any armor.
- World's Strongest Man: The most powerful Shiarchon in Koldenwelt.
- Your Head A-Splode: How Longinus killed him.
The leader of the barbaric Khorloron, Kebra'Osos is a servant of the Shiarchon Prophets and the personal war hound of Prophet Maximilianus.
- Brainwashed: The reason he follows the Shiarchon.
- Breath Weapon: He can breathe fireballs.
- The Brute
- Carry a Big Stick: Wields a massive club he calls Da 'Ugest.
- Dark Is Evil
- The Dragon: To Prophet Maximilianus.
- Evil Is Hammy
- Large and in Charge: Four and a half meters tall, and ruler of all Khorloron.
- Playing with Fire: He has pyromantic abilities.
- Plucky Comic Relief: He's a light-hearted comedic minion to the dead-serious and evil Shiarchon.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A trait shared with all other Khorloron.
- The Rival: To Maka'Doza.
The lord of the Vulcanus Horde, Xacutus was once a noble sorcerer of the Marinis Domain who dabbled in forbidden arts in order to fight the demons of Crystallis. He would pay the price and become a monstrous creature of flame, obsessed with one single goal: the complete destruction of all life in Koldenwelt.
- An Axe to Grind: The Exacutus Vulcanus, one of his inventions.
- And I Must Scream: After he had his soul cut in two, his body was left in a vegetative state, but he was still fully conscious of his situation. This only ended once he was reunited with the Exacutus Vulcanus at the end of Inferno Rises.
- Ax-Crazy: Evil, murderous and completely bonkers. Doubly so back when he wielded the Exacutus Vulcanus.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The ending of Inferno Rises had him reawakening and the Vulcanus Horde returning to activity.
- Big Bad: Of Inferno Rises. He's one of the main contenders for the title of main antagonist of the entire setting.
- Black Magic: In addition to his fire magic, Xacutus also has some dark magic powers, though it's used almost exclusively to keep him alive.
- Blood Knight
- Cloudcuckoolander: There ain't any sanity left in that skull of his.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivered one towards Hamoins Dalverat during War of Vampires.
- He was later on the receiving end of one against Imperator Kalarah in Fall of Talmyr, which led to the destruction of the Exacutus Vulcanus. It ended up being good for Xacutus, though, as it led to his soul being made whole again.
- Dem Bones: He's a giant skeleton animated by evil fire.
- Enemy Mine: Joined forces with Imperator Kalarah during Fall of Talmyr, though it didn't last long. He later joined forces with Vanguard and Tibias Merrow for the sake of getting back at Kalarah, but he repeatedly stated he hates them and all they stand for.Vanguard: You are not aware...of the Scorn of the Void?Xacutus: You all keep assuming I know everything and that I'm one of you. I am NOT. I HATE the Void.
- Evil Is Burning Hot
- Evil Sorcerer
- Evil Overlord: Though he doesn't have much a goal beyond destroying everything.
- Evil vs. Evil: Opposes the Void, even if he had to join its side a couple of times.
- Expy: Of Xan.
- Fish People: He's a former Ondarei Mharinis, though all that's left of him at this point is his charred skeleton.
- Foil: To Finkrath, the other major fire antagonist. He is fully sane, wishes to dominate the world and rewards minions based on their achievements. Xacutus, meanwhile, is insane, wishes to destroy the world and has little care for his minions.
- Hero Killer: Brutally killed Vectrom in the prologue of Shroud of the Sun.
- The Hyena
- Large Ham: It doesn't even begin to describe it.Xacutus: Stupid kid! MEDDLESOME! Don't you have SCHOOL or CHORES to do?! This is an adult war, where adults kill everyone! Adults being ME! Get OUT of our way!
- Laughing Mad: At least once per appearance.
- Magic Staff: The Baculum Mill Solles, a staff created alongside the Exacutus Vulcanus which was lost during his reawakening.
- No Indoor Voice
- No-Sell: Xacutus is immune to dark magic, which just bounces off him harmlessly. And fire magic, of course.
- Omnicidal Maniac: When he says he wants to destroy the world, he's not kidding.
- Overarching Villain: He appears in all parts of Eschaton, even when he's not the focus of the current story or even particularly important, causing mayhem and never being truly defeated. By the end of the arc, he left it more powerful than when he entered it.
- Playing with Fire: Potentially the most powerful pyromancer in Koldenwelt who isn't a Colossus. Such is his power that he was able to raise a bridge of volcanic stone from the ocean floor, connecting his home of Akriarion Island to Abyssus.
- Really 700 Years Old: About 7,000 years old.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Spanner in the Works: Praetor Arcturus prepared to face the Warriors of Dar-Nahalant in battle... only for Xacutus to barge in, knock him out and confront them himself. It ultimately led to Arcturus' HeelFace Turn and a lot of complications for the Legion of Shiarchon.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: He tends to scream out (even louder than his usual speech) random words in his sentences.
- That Man Is Dead: His reaction to being called by his real name by Vectrom during Shroud of the Sun.Xacutus: That... is NOT my name anymore!
- Teleport Spam: He can teleport short distances, something he's using to escape blockades or negate falling damage.
- The Undead: Notably, animated by evil fire rather than pure dark magic. He is the only one of his kind as far as undead are known in the setting.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: He attempted to use pyromancy to combat the Lympharian hordes attacking his people, but his race was fundamentally attuned to water rather than fire. The conflict within his very essence drove him completely mad.
- Wreathed in Flames: Perpetually covered in flames which allegedly cause him eternal pain. It only serves to make him angrier and crazier.
Wrugrak the Scorched
Leader of the Vulcanus orcs who serve Xacutus' Horde, Wrugrak is one of the pyromancer's greatest generals. Having delivered his people to him after mistaking him for a god of flame, he is now a slave, hoping to one day find one strong enough to put him out of his misery.
- An Axe to Grind: Wields a greatxe as his weapon of choice.
- Breath Weapon: Can let out a glob of magma out of his mouth as an offensive tactic.
- The Dragon: To Xacutus, unwillingly.
- FaceMonster Turn: While the rest of his people indulged in Xacutus' fire gifts, Wrugrak deeply regretted it, realizing what he got himself into. Unfortunately, it was too late.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: He is unable to disobey Xacutus' orders, and by extension can't end his own suffering. He hopes that, one day, a hero will defeat him and bring an end to it all.
- Made of Iron: A direct hit from a cannonball to the torso only managed to stun him.
- Magma Man: As a Vulcanus orc, his body is partially composed of lava.
- Playing with Fire: Has control over fire magic.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Subverted, he's not truly evil.
Once an Orichalcum Elf of the ancient world, Akharav was turned into a demon and led the legions of the Void for fourteen thousand years. Widely regarded as the one who introduced the religion of Caligaduro Provectus to Koldenwelt, he would become one of the banes of the Orichalcum Elf Imperium and the southern mountains as a whole.
- Arc Villain: Of Shroud of the Sun.
- BFS: Wielded a greatsword.
- Dark Is Evil
- The Dreaded: Among the Orichalcum Elves and later the Shiarchon.
- Evil Overlord
- Evil vs. Evil: Despite both being servants of the Void, Akharav and the Shiarchon didn't get along.
- Fantastic Racism: He hated vampires, using them in blood sacrifices. It earned him the ire of the Nightshade Clan.
- Killed Off for Real: Destroyed by Longinus in the climax of Shroud of the Sun.
- Power of the Void: He wielded void magic.
- Really 700 Years Old: About 14,000 years old.
- Red Baron: Blocker of the Sun.
- Sorcerous Overlord
- Was Once a Man: He was once an Orichalcum Elf, but became a demonic entity after pledging himself to Caligaduro Provectus. He is notably not a Shiarchon, and in fact predates their existence by some 9,000 years.
Patriarch Vrutluthar and Matriarch Ethodrathalar
Ruling over the Merkan race are a pair of massive, corpulent monsters known as the Patriarch and the Matriarch, Vrutluthar and Ethodrathalar respectively. Other than creating more Merkan, they are the caretakers of Zarmagahla, periodically feeding him the blood of people kidnapped from the shores of the Tropical Lands.
- Breath Weapon: Patriarch Vrutluthar has been seen breathing out a tremendous stream of water from his mouth, with enough force to make him nearly lose his footing.
- The Brute: Patriarch Vrutluthar is eager to crush the intruders in his throne room during Wrath of Night, unlike Matriarch Ethodrathalar, who was content with merely watching.
- Cool Crown: Patriarch Vrutluthar has the Crown of the Deep Father, an artifact of Ramainaualmari which Nalashtannylor required to harness the powers of the Chalice of Havoc.
- Decoy Leader: They are important in the Underrealm's hierarchy, but they aren't the ones actually giving the orders. The Mudpriest is.
- The Dragon: To the Mudpriest.
- Expy: Of Father Dagon and Mother Hydra.
- Fat Bastard: Both of them.
- Fish People
- Large and in Charge: The typical Merkan is shorter than a man, but the Patriarch and Matriarch are gigantic, towering over eight meters tall.
- Making a Splash: At least Patriarch Vrutluthar has power over hydromancy.
- Really 700 Years Old: They are believed to be around 800 years old.
- The Unintelligible: Like other members of their race, their tongue can't be understood by common mortals.
The highest servant of Zarmagahla, one of the avatars of Ramainaualmari, the Mudpriest is the true master of the Merkan race. As evil as he is mysterious, he has terrorized the southern seas for eight hundred years.
- Body Horror: Half of his body is covered in black crystals. On top of that, mud drips from his right eye like tears.
- Dishing Out Dirt / Making a Splash: Notably combines earth and water magic to cast mud magic, something that hasn't been recreated by any other character.
- The Dragon: To Zarmagahla.
- Enemy Mine: Briefly joined forces with the Shiarchon during Wrath of Night for the sake of recovering the Crown of the Deep Father.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": His real name, if he even has one, is unknown.
- Fish People
- Glass Cannon: While he sports powerful magic, he is actually rather fragile and can't witstand hits. One blow from Saranhreia's halberd nearly killed him during Angels of the Hunting Isle.
- The Man Behind the Man: He created the Petroatragal to destroy Hyperion Island in Angels of the Hunting Isle.
- Really 700 Years Old: Believed to be roughly 800 years old.
- The Unintelligible: Like other members of his race, his tongue can't be understood by common mortals.
A mysterious wyvern who suddenly appeared on Hyperion Island, causing havoc and slaughtering the local wildlife. Khadya, Filonan and Saranhreia would cross paths with it multiple times, and it eventually became evident it was no mere beast...
- Big Bad: Of Angels of the Hunting Isle.
- Black Magic: It used dark magic.
- Breath Weapon: A stream of dark flames.
- Cape Wings: Rested its large wings in a manner that resembled a cape in its matured form.
- Dark Is Evil: In its mature form.
- The Dragon: Literally and figuratively to the Mudpriest.
- Dragons Are Demonic: It was a demon in the shape of a dragon.
- Expy: Appearance-wise, of Seregios and Gore Magala.
- Eyeless Face: In its mature form, it had no eyes.
- Flechette Storm: In could launch its scales in such a manner as a form of combat.
- It Can Think: At first, the huntresses confronting it believed it to be a mere frenzied animal. Then it begun to emit the voice of Zarmagahla...
- Killed Off for Real: Squashed like an insect by Laidar the One-Eyed at the climax of Angels of the Hunting Isle's main story arc.
- Metamorphosis: Through the course of Angels of the Hunting Isle, it transform from a brown-scaled four-limbed wyvern into a black-scaled six-limbed dragon.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Its matured form's wings also served as a pair of mighty arms, sporting razor-sharp claws.
- Outside-Context Problem: Nothing indicated any connection between the Petroatragal and the Merkan until the latter begun invading Hyperion Island themselves.
- Red Baron: Known as Devourer Blade by the Mikmik fairies.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In its immature form, it had blood-red eyes.
- The Speechless: While intelligent, it couldn't speak.
Order of the Black Sun
Enamal Caedes Chaos-Weaver
What was once a Deiwos, Caedes Chaos-Weaver is an ancient and maddened creature from the ancient world that thrived feeding off the most maddened energies a mortal could survive under. Rendered unliving by his own insanity, Caedes now leads the Order of the Black Sun, a anarchistic and dangerous conglomerate of madmen.
- The Ageless: Whatever dark truths he uncovered rendered him immortal.
- Driven to Madness: Described as having gazed into the raw power of every single one of the Simulacra, which completely broke him.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Upon gazing into the raw power of all Simulacra, though Caligaduro Provectus, Ramainaualmari, Kalisearan and the Crux took the biggest toll of his mind.
- The Ghost: Has not been featured in any stories so far.
- Giant Spider: His current body resembles one.
- Plant Person: A tree grew over him, and he became part of it. When he reawakened, he broke free, now part-tree.
- Red Baron: The Tree of Madness, the King of Spiders.
- Skull for a Head: His humanoid skull head is the last vestige of his Deiwos origins.
- Time Abyss: He claims to remember the time when the Echdrarothrayu walked the earth, which would put him at over 30,000 years old.
- Was Once a Man: Believed to be a former Orichalcum Elf, but now is little more than a giant tree-beast.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Described as a fountain of endless yet inaccessible knowledge, as while he knows what shouldn't be known, he's too mad to act on any of it.
A ghastly and enigmatic entity, Vultusk Kychtdar is a fragmented unison of souls who rules the city of Manaasekatvas and desires nothing more than chaos wherever he walks. Vultusk is without morality or law, enforcing his lawlessness through obscene terror and violence, and though may be considered evil, he truly has no direction in his path.
- Blood Knight: Causes violence and bloodshed at every opportunity and for its own sake.
- The Dreaded: Most members of the Order of the Sun, including his fellow Kychtdar, find him a dangerous and revolting creature, always attempting to keep to his good side in order to not suffer his wrath.
- Flesh Golem: Vultusk is an amalgamation of multiple and slowly decaying bodies sewn together, inhabited by a maddened spirit who doesn't appear to belong to any of said corpses.
- Omnicidal Maniac: His modus operandi is to go in and cause as much violence as possible, much to the dismay of whoever is on the receiving end.
- Red Baron: The Corpse-Walker, the Maddening Gaze, That Who Is Born From Death.
- Third-Person Person: Refers to himself in the third person due to technically being multiple people in one body.
- Token Evil Teammate: When he was recruited into the Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits during Wrath of Night.
An entity of pure hedonism, Madiiraxaven Kychtdar seeks to pleasure herself by promoting a lifestyle of infinite sexual intercourse, making her entire city of Paarosasekatvas follow her in her strange and depraved goals.
- Admiring the Abomination: She once saw the Vestige in the outskirts of her city and became enamored with him, wishing she could have sex with him.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her stomach is always exposed.
- Buxom Is Better: Has a large rack, and everyone's meant to look at it.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Perhaps the least dangerous of the Kychtdar, as she is relatively light-hearted, though she's still completely bonkers.
- Dhampyr: She is half-vampire from her mother's part.
- Everyone Has Standards: Subverted. Despite the promiscuity of her city, children don't take part of it, but not because she cares for them. She rather thinks they're bad bedding partners due to being too small and too fragile.
- The Hedonist: Taken to extreme levels. She promotes her entire city to do this.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: Half-Aithrena elf, half-succubus.
- Really Gets Around: Has lots and lots of sex all the time with lots and lots of people. The most successful citizens even get in fights over who can sleep with her the best.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: No such thing as shame in Madiiraxaven's city.
- She's Got Legs: She doesn't wear any legwear so everyone can see her legs.
A bizarre entity seemingly without purpose, goals or intentions, Kaaxhesh Kychtdar is the ruler of Axakaatsekatvas and is generally viewed by the Order of the Black Sun as the representation of a very unique and unusual madness that very little within the Order can come to understand.
- Cool Helmet: Vaguely avian in design.
- The Faceless: We don't know what he looks like under the helm.
- The Ghost: Has not been featured in any stories so far.
- The Right Hand of Doom: He has a monstrous left arm.
- The Unintelligible: He speaks everything backwards, making him nigh-unintelligible to most people.
- Was Once a Man: Believed to have once been an orc of some sort.
The Sea Witch
The last chieftain of the Bizargar before they were nearly driven to extinction by the Lympharians, the Sea Witch (real name Alvinian Varaikar) is a hag who spent hundreds of years cursed by the demons of Vargash, which led her to become a recluse. She eventually regained her cool and became involved in world affairs once more after becoming the adoptive mother of the half-elf Clothovera Moirai.
- Characterization Marches On: She was introduced as a straight up evil Cloudcuckoolander. As time passed, her character was more defined, with her early weirdness being explained as being due to her becoming socially awkward due to prolonged isolation.
- Deadpan Snarker: She really doesn't give anyone any rest.Sea Witch: And it's up to us, the band of heroes, to stop them. Boy I sure love being part of all this.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Formerly unwelcoming and rude, she has warmed up considerably since she became friends with Hachi.
- Eyeless Face: Not naturally, but she'll cast a spell to give herself one when something sexy is unfolding. See Sour Prudes below.
- Expy: Initially of the Sea Hag and Madame Mim, but not so much after her retcons.
- Feathered Fiend: She fights for the good side, but isn't the nicest woman ever, even to her allies.
- Grumpy Old Man: Woman, actually.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Said word-by-word during War of Vampires in reaction to her party's "victory" over Zran Kar.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's rather mean, but in truth, she's just very lonely.
- The Leader: During Inferno Rises.
- Making a Splash: She's a master hydromancer and one of the more powerful users of water magic known.
- Mistaken for Racist: Played for laughs during Fall of Talmyr, when she's discussing an army of Shiarchon, a race of evil dark-skinned elves.Ndrhthryr: Getting them that far out will take twenty days at least. They'll need all the supplies and warmth as they can get.Sea Witch: Twenty?! We got an army of black elves right outside the walls, in case you forgot.Hachi: ... Sea Witch! I didn't know you were such a racist!
- Morality Pet: Hachi and Clothovera are this to her.
- Nice Hat: She's always seen wearing her trademark witch hat, even if she changes form.
- Non-Mammalian Hair: Bizargar have some hair on their heads, and the Sea Witch is no different. Even when she turns into an albatross, it stays.
- Noodle Incident: She ended up at Castle Nightshade and met Hamoins Dalverat at some point in the past. The circumstances of it all aren't something she's willing to talk about.
- No Social Skills: A consequence of living centuries alone, the Sea Witch lost most of her social skills with time.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood
- Odd Friendship: With Kanna the Headhunter.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Her name is Alvinian Varaikar, but she's usually called Sea Witch by everybody else. She, too, usually refers to herself only as Sea Witch rather than her real name.
- Rapid Aging: Upon being struck by Zarmagahla's wave of anti-magic during Wrath of Night, she begun to very rapidly age, revealing she uses magic to survive for as long as she does.
- Reality Warper: She can create objects out of thin air, from a fireplace to a scarf to put around her neck.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's around 300 years old.
- Retcon: The Sea Witch was originally supposed to be Vargash trapped in a mortal form. This was later changed so she'd be a distinct antagonist, and then changed yet again to make her a protagonist instead.
- Sour Prudes: She hates blatant sexual mannerisms in her presence, often choosing to magically blind herself in order to not deal with such situations.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She can turn herself into an albatross in order to fly.
Pelagius Astrelevar Dromaedon
Pelagius Astrelevar Dromaedon, most known as Pelagrios Sea-Cutter, is a pirate who sails the southern seas (or so he claims). He has the distinction of causing mayhem whenever he shows up, rarely intentionally.
- The Alcoholic: The Gladiitenebris shard in his possession is the only reason he hasn't died of alcohol poisoning yet.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He'd probably be a formidable fighter if he wasn't so busy drinking and running away from anything remotely dangerous.
- The Captain: Or so he wishes. He doesn't have a ship or a crew. Sometimes he wonders whether he even counts a pirate anymore.
- Doomed Hometown: His home settlement was destroyed by a Shiarchon raiding party when he was a child, orphaning him.
- Doom Magnet: He attracts danger. Mostly due to the shard of the Gladiitenebris in his possession, but sometimes it's just him messing something up.
- Drinking on Duty: It's harder to find an occasion where he's not drinking.
- Expy: Of Captain Jack Sparrow.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-Manorian human, half-Natelevarí elf. His elven heritage gave him sapphire eyes, which are typical to the Natelevarí.
- Lovable Coward
- Nominal Hero: He doesn't want to go around saving the world, but he keeps getting dragged into it. Usually because he's at least partially responsible.
- Odd Friendship: With Riad. A bumbling pirate buffoon and a savage elf chieftain? Best friends, apparently.
- Pirate: Though he doesn't do a whole lot of pirating.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Never does anything useful, but does provide some light-hearted humour to the stories he's in.
- Scars Are Forever: Received a sacrificial brand from Ánnoria during his time as a prisoner of the Shiarchon.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: He is single-handedly responsible for the entire Eschaton. All he wanted was to rob some graves.
- Red Baron: Sea-Cutter, The Rum Demon, Pelagrios Doombringer.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Riadmanath. Despite the physical and mental abuse they give one another, they still appreciate each other's company.Pelagrios: I love you all. Except Riad... he took my ship and now he's going through the... whatchamacallit... Sea of... I dunno. But my ship's gonna freeze. And all my rum. Oh who am I kidding... I love him the most. Like a brother.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: While thievery is fair game, he doesn't like killing, which is one of the reasons he typically doesn't help his allies.
Born of an orcish father and a human mother at the Duskwoods, Khara Greenforge grew up fascinated by tales of heroes such as the Goldhawks and the Warriors of Dar-Nahalant. She wishes to become a heroine herself, and have her feats sung in the ballads of the world.
- The Big Guy: Manages to be this in her own party. She's loud, strong and eager for combat, despite being the leader.
- Cool Sword: Her Cold Iron greatsword, named Willbreaker.
- Delinquents: During her early days.
- Fiery Redhead
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-Mannazian human, half-Black orc.
- Healing Factor: She possesses mysterious regenerative powers, strong enough to let her survive having her intestines gored out of her during Steel of the Plagued Land. The source of such ability remains unknown.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: She didn't take Eryxhreion's death well, drinking herself into unconsciousness the night after.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Quite reckless and eager to jump into danger without any planning. Without Tassarion's guidance, she wouldn't have lasted long.
- The Idealist: Fascinated by tales of heroes, she wants to become a hero herself.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Tassarion's blue.
- Savage Piercings: Downplayed in that she's not a savage, but she does wear a golden ring pierced into her septum.
- True Companions: With Tassarion Brighthand and Bilrika Wilybar.
A human hailing from elven lands, Tassarion is a hedge-mage and member of the order of the Noble Palazzo of Luminates who met Khara Greenforge during his stay at the Duskwoods. Now following her in her mission to become heroes, he is the voice of reason restraining the energetic half-orc, ensuring she doesn't get killed by her recklessness.
- Distressed Dude: Became this in Steel of the Plagued Land when he was afflicted with Mivtanreior's Frenzy, turning the adventure into a race against time to find him a cure before he was lost to The Virus.
- Fantastic Racism: Hates all beings of darkness, especially vampires, be they evil or not.
- Only Sane Man: He's the voice of reason to the Hot-Blooded Khara and the snappy Bilrika.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Khara's red.
- True Companions: With Khara Greenforge and Bilrika Wilybar.
- White Mage: Primarily focuses on healing and protecting his allies with luxomancy.
- White Magic: He wields the power of light magic.
A cruel and skilled member of the Grim goblin race, Anklebiter was beaten in a fight with Khara Greenforge and then made to travel with her. He would do so for the sake of riches, as he had no reason of helping her in her dreams of becoming a hero.
- Card-Carrying Villain: See his quote above. Though due to being stuck with Khara, he didn't actually do any villainy.
- Dark Is Evil: And he'd like you to remember it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: How Khara recruited him. Downplayed, as it was less friendship and more temporary cooperation.
- Fantastic Racism: He hates humans and other outsiders, who he sees intruders on the Duskwoods.
- Karma Houdini: Despite his mistreating of his "teammates" and general jerkassery, he left the group a rich goblin, without suffering any repercussions for his actions.
- Knife Nut: Fights primarily with knives.
- I am a Humanitarian: Often spoke about devouring humans, or his party members, much to their dismay. Also often threatened to roast and eat his enemies' eyes.
- Nominal Hero: Did heroic deeds up to Steel of the Plagued Land purely for selfish reasons.
- Only in It for the Money: He cared nothing more than the riches he could get by accompanying a party of adventurers. Once he got the reward for Mivtanreior, Syl-Rheah and Khebrid Aldraem's heads, he departed back to the Duskwoods to enjoy a life of retirement.
- Token Evil Teammate: In Khara's party, up to the point he left.
Old Dead Eye
The oldest and mightiest of all Poison Drakes in Koldenwelt, Old Dead Eye has terrorized the land for over a thousand years, rampaging from Qliphoth to the Western Forests and beyond.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Like all members of its race, it has a large stinger at the tip of its tail, which it can put to deadly use.
- Breath Weapon: As expected from a creature like it, it can breathe a massive blast of poisonous gas.
- Eye Scream: Lost its left eye in a battle with a legendary Oevrumine hero (hence the name), who forced it to flee Qliphoth. At least at the time.
- Giant Flyer: Fourty five meters long, making it the largest known Poison Drake.
- Just Eat Him: Tried to do this to Favniru in The Goldhawk Chronicles, but was stopped before it had the chance. It did eat Norrigan during the fight, though the knight's armor caused him to become stuck on its throat, forcing the dragon to spit him out.
- Our Dragons Are Different: As a Poison Drake, Old Dead Eye resembles a massive poisonous wyvern with a stinger tail and a purple hide.
- Poisonous Person: As a Poison Drake, it's a draconic embodiment of poison magic.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: When the Goldhawks and Favniru overpowered it, it bailed out, giving up on its hunt for the Lighting Drake.
- The Speechless: Only communicates in growls, roars and other animalistic noises. Poison Drakes as a whole haven't yet mastered language.