Glass Onion (also known as Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery) is an upcoming 2022 murder mystery film directed and written by Rian Johnson. It is the follow up to, as if the subtitle didn't give it away, Johnson's acclaimed 2019 hit Knives Out.
Daniel Craig returns as the Great Detective Benoit Blanc, alongside an All-Star Cast once again including Janelle Monáe, Edward Norton, Kathryn Hahn, Jessica Henwick, Dave Bautista, Leslie Odom Jr., Kate Hudson and Madelyn Cline.
The film is set to be released by Netflix on December 23, 2022 following a limited theatrical release in November of the same year. It also screened at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival.
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery contains examples of:
- Cool Shades: Benoit Blanc and all the other characters are seen sporting sunglasses in the Netflix 2022 Movie Preview.
- Oddly Named Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. The weird part is "Glass Onion" rather than its subtitle. The latter is there to remind viewers that the film is the sequel to Knives Out.
- Sequel Goes Foreign: The first film was set entirely in the USA and featured American protagonists. The Netflix 2022 Movie Preview for Glass Onion features a wide shot of the coastal city of Spetses, Greece, and a pier on which Benoit Blanc is about to embark on a boat.
- Standard Snippet: The teaser trailer uses a version of "Habanera" from Carmen that punctuates some of the beats with characters moving puzzle pieces around to set the mood of mystery and intrigue.
- Titled After the Song: While the title of the first movie (and subtitle of this one, as seen in the teaser and poster) derives from a Radiohead song, The Beatles are the source of this one.