Toshiyuki Morikawa. Do not forget this name!
Toshiyuki Morikawa (森川智之)note (born January 26, 1967) is one of the voice actors who has been around since the old days (having attended the same voice acting class with Kotono Mitsuishi) and currently still lends his voice to the job. He has quite a huge fanbase too (due in part to being one of the more attractive actors around), and is the current voice of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII. His voice range is versatile, ranging from calm and cool characters, to Hot-Blooded young men, to even psychopathically cold villains. From badass to Bishōnen, he does them all just fine. Regardless of morality, if the character has White Hair, Black Heart (such as the aforementioned Sephiroth), there's a good chance he's voicing them.
According to Anime News Network, he has the second most number of roles in anime after Takehito Koyasu — as of 2023, he is one of the only three Japanese voice actors with over 600 credits.
Best buds with Nobuyuki Hiyama, went as far as spreading a "Hiyama abandoned me!" mass phone call to other colleagues while drunk oncenote , he is also good friends with fellow seiyuu Fumihiko Tachiki and has a lot of co-workings with Nobutoshi Canna and Nozomu Sasaki.
Along with Hiyama, the two of them were involved with the birth of Show Hayami's Super Stylish Doctors Story.
Notable alongside seiyuu like Yuji Ueda, Kosuke Toriumi, and Wataru Takagi in that he did a lot of roles in most of Capcom's old video games.
He is also quite popular in the Japanese dubbing industry, being the dub voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) in Star Warsnote , Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger) in Brokeback Mountain, Neo (Keanu Reeves) in The Matrix, and Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) in The Hobbit, as well as Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler. The Other Wiki states that he has been the dub voice of many leading roles in Western-world movies when they are dubbed to Japan. He also has quite some role in the Western dubbing of Spider-Man. He is the dub voice of Spidey himself in the 1994's animated series, and in the third movie, he is Eddie Brock/Venom (Topher Grace). He voiced Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) in Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther (2018). He also voiced Yon-Rogg (Jude Law) in Captain Marvel (2019).
- Abel in Fena: Pirate Princess
- Aiden Pearce (Noam Jenkins) in the Japanese dub of Watch_Dogs
- Akira Inugami in Wolf Guy (The manga from The '70s/short OAV from The '90s that would later be remade into the infamous Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest.)
- Alberius/Cthonius in Dragalia Lost
- Albus Dumbledore in the Japanese dub of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Alfred Gallant in Buddy Complex
- Amari in Joker Game
- Aogami in Shin Megami Tensei V
- Arios MacLaine and Baron Teo Schwarzer in the Trails Series (replacing Moriya Endoh as the latter)
- Ashiya Doman in Fate/Grand Order Cosmos in the Lostbelt
- August Ruthven in The Case Study of Vanitas
- Azuma Genkaku in Deadman Wonderland
- Basho (Hun) and Mikuri (Wallace) in Pokémon: The Series
- Also the narrator in the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire promotional trailer animation.
- Ghris in Pokémon: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
- Wataru (Lance) in Pokémon Masters
- Bellios in The Seven Deadly Sins
- Bird #3 in Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
- Blanca in Banana Fish
- Bondrewd in Made in Abyss
- Boros in One-Punch Man
- Brad Blackstone in Taboo-Tattoo
- Buck in the Japanese dub of Home on the Range
- Carla Tsukinami in Diabolik Lovers
- Mr. Chang in Black Lagoon
- Cian in The World's Finest Assassin
- Conrad Weller in Kyo Kara Maoh!
- Cyclops in Marvel Anime: X-Men
- Daiki Ninomiya in Initial D
- Dante in Devil May Cry (from Devil May Cry: The Animated Seriesnote onwards)
- Dézhōu Braised Chicken in the Japanese dub of The Tale of Food
- Dhaos in Tales of Phantasia (succeeding the late Kaneto Shiozawa)
- Yuan in Tales of Symphonia
- Eizen in Tales of Berseria (He's playable!)
- Dio in Casshern Sins
- Douglas Almeida in Ajin
- Duke in Brave Police J-Decker
- Duke Leto Atreides (Oscar Isaac) in the Japanese dub of Dune (2021)
- Edgar Allan Poe in Bungo Stray Dogs
- Emmet Brickowski (Chris Pratt) in the Japanese dub of The LEGO Movie
- Enel and Hatchan in One Piece
- Father in Assassin's Pride
- Fiamma of the Right in A Certain Magical Index
- Figaro in Promise Of Wizard
- Forbessi, the King of Demons in SHUFFLE!
- Fyodor Dostoevsky in Bungo to Alchemist
- Gary Johnston (Trey Parker) in the Japanese dub of Team America: World Police
- Gen'ichiro Tsukiomi in Martian Successor Nadesico, Super Robot Wars Impact and Super Robot Wars Advance Portable
- Gilbert McLane in God Eater 2
- Gilbert Ross in B: The Beginning
- Goh in Saint Beast
- Gohyaan in Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash★Star
- Goro Saeki in Tokyo Xanadu
- Greg Young in High Card
- Griffith in Berserk (1997) and Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Seima Senki no Shō
- Hades in Saint Seiya Awakening
- Haohmaru in Samurai Spirits: Oni
- Haruto Mikami in Dream Festival!
- Hattori Hanzō in Nioh
- Hayato Kanzaki in Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Project × Zone 2 (Replacing Nobutoshi Canna from the first game)
- Heishiro Mitsurugi in Soul Calibur
- Hikage Shinomori in My Hero Academia
- Hiroshi Nohara in Crayon Shin-chan (replacing Keiji Fujiwara)
- Hiroshi Ozora in Moldiver
- Hon Fu and Bob Wilson in the Fatal Fury franchise
- Hwoarang in Tekken 3, Tag Tournament, 4 and Tekken: Bloodline
- Iceschillendrig in Shadowverse and Leon Aurenche in its anime series
- Isaburo Sasaki in Gintama
- Darrins for the late Keiji Fujiwara as Zenzou Hattori in the Gintama: The Final film
- Isshin Kurosaki, Tousen Kaname and Tsubaki in the Bleach franchise
- Jackson "Jax" Teller (Charlie Hunnam) in the Japanese dub of Sons of Anarchy
- James "Jim" West (Will Smith) in the Japanese dub of Wild Wild West
- Jeff Bogard in The King of Fighters: Destiny
- Johnny Silverhand in the Japanese dub of Cyberpunk 2077.
- Julius Novachrono/Lucius Zogratis in Black Clover
- Justin in Belle (2021)
- Kagaya Ubuyashiki in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
- Katakura Kojuro in the Sengoku Basara series
- Katsuya Jonouchi (Joey Wheeler) in the Yu-Gi-Oh! first series anime (succeeded by Hiroki Takahashi)
- Kei/Nate Nanjou in Persona 2 (was also him in the Drama CD of the first game)
- Khufu Crisper in Kamen Rider: Beyond Generations
- Kimimaro and Minato "the Fourth Hokage" Namikaze in the Naruto franchise
- Kintaro in Nangoku Shonen Papuwa Kun
- Kisaragi in Vexille
- Kou Kimijima in Robotics;Notes
- Kubota Makoto in Wild Adapter
- Kuniharu Ogino in Cuticle Detective Inaba
- Kyousuke Iwaki in Haru wo Daiteita and Akizuki Keiichirou in Winter Cicada
- Kyousuke Munakata in Danganronpa 3
- Kyosuke Nanbu in, Super Robot Wars Impact, Super Robot Wars Original Generations and Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden
- Kyutaro Kugi in Buddy Daddies
- Lan Xichen in the Japanese dubs of the Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation: Mo Dao Zu Shi animated and audio drama adaptations and the live-action adaptation The Untamed
- Leon S. Kennedy in the Japanese dub of Resident Evil 6, Operation Racoon City, Revelations 2, the 2019 remake of 2, as well as in the CGI movies Damnation and Vendetta, and Project X Zone 2
- Leonard Scheitenberg in the infamous yaoi OVA Legend of the Blue Wolves
- Leonardo da Vinci in the Japanese dub of Assassin's Creed II
- Lewa Nuva in the Japanese dub of BIONICLE: Mask of Light
- Linus Van Pelt in the Japanese dub of Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown
- Lionel Khapita in Triangle Strategy
- Loki in 009-1
- Marco Owen in King of Thorn
- Mard Geer Tartaros in Fairy Tail
- Marshall Lee in the Japanese dub of Adventure Time
- Mummymon, Yukio Oikawa, and BelialVamdemon in Digimon Adventure 02
- Muneyoshi Kugayama in Hyouka
- Nanato Mukaido in Platinum End
- Naota Kirihara from Night Head Genesis
- Naraku in the Inuyasha franchise
- Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) in the Japanese dub of Zootopia
- Nobunaga Kiyota and Youhei in Slam Dunk
- Ōkuninushi in Akanesasu Sekai de Kimi to Utau
- Oliver Schtrom/Oliveira von Schtradius in Wise Man's Grandchild
- Olivia's older brother in Asobi Asobase
- Oni-Maru in Virtua Fighter
- Onimaru Kunitsuna in Touken Ranbu
- Optimus Prime in the Japanese dub of Transformers: Prime
- Panda Mama in Shirokuma Cafe, it has to be seen to be believed.
- Paul Greyrat in Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
- Pete "Maverick" Mitchell (Tom Cruise) in the TV Tokyo Japanese dub of Top Gun and its sequel.
- Potimas in So I'm a Spider, So What?
- Radio in the Japanese dub of The Brave Little Toaster
- Rai in Lamento - beyond the void
- Ran Shuuei in The Story of Saiunkoku (fittingly, Nobuyuki Hiyama voices Shuuei's Heterosexual Life-Partner Li Kouyuu)
- Ravage in the Japanese dub of Beast Wars
- Rei Miyajima in Obsolete
- Roberto Miura in Rival Schools
- Ryu and Charlie Nash in the Street Fighter Alpha series and the vs. Capcom series pre-Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (sometimes replaces Katashi Ishizuka for the former character during the older games) (Without any ado: "HADOUKEN!" "SONIC BOOM!")
- Hayate in Street Fighter EX2.
- Rick Wheeler in F-Zero: GP Legend (CAPTAIN FALCON!)
- Ryuichiro Isaka in Junjou Romantica and Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
- Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Last Order: Final Fantasy VII, the Kingdom Hearts series, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Dissidia Final Fantasy. As well as Final Fantasy VII Remake and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- Seijirou Kikuoka in Sword Art Online
- Seruel in Granblue Fantasy
- Shagia Frost in Gundam X, Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden and Super Robot Wars Z
- Shigara in Legend of Himiko
- Shuukichi Haneda in Case Closed
- Sigurd in Fire Emblem Heroes and Fire Emblem Engage
- Simon Cullum in The Ancient Magus' Bride
- Souichiro Amano in A Couple of Cuckoos
- Suitengu in Speed Grapher
- Taiyou Manatsu in Captain Earth
- Takaya Aiba/D-Boy/Tekkaman Blade in the Tekkaman Blade franchise (Not only is this his debut role, this is also the role where he gained a lot of infamy by breaking a recording microphone on two separate occasions while screaming VOLTEKKKKKAAAAAAA!!!!!)
- Takayanagi Mitsuomi in Tenjho Tenge
- Takumi Ichinose in Nana
- Tatsumi Seiichirou in Descendants of Darkness
- Tatsuo Shinada in Yakuza 5
- Terrific Forelock in Lightning Legend: Daigo no Daibouken
- Toki Himuro in Hero Bank 2
- Tony Stark/Iron Man in the dubbed edition of What If…? (2021) of Marvel Cinematic Universe, replacing the late Keiji Fujiwara.
- Wise God Torin/Kyoryu Silver and his Evil Twin in Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and appears before the camera as Torin's human disguise in #43. He even sings Torin's theme song as Kyoryu Silver, Senkou no Brave.
- Toma in Genesis of Aquarion
- Toshizou Hijikata in Bakumatsu Rock
- Tsuganashi Aiba in Magical Warfare
- Tsuyoshi Tsukai and Kunito Nakajo in GTO: The Early Years
- Tyki Mikk in D.Gray-Man
- Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage) in the Japanese dub of Game of Thrones
- Ugo in Magi: Labyrinth of Magic
- Vamdemon in Digimon Ghost Game
- Viktor von Granzreich in The Royal Tutor
- Volg Zangief in Hajime no Ippo
- Walter Walzac in The Brave of Gold Goldran
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:
- Yoshikage Kira in Diamond is Unbreakable (Replacing Rikiya Koyama who previously voiced him in the video game adaptations).
- Golden Wind: Diavolo in All-Star Battle and Eyes of Heaven (who replaced Mitsuru Miyamoto from the PS2 game of Part 5, succeeded by Katsuyuki Konishi in the TV anime).
- Yamazaki Susumu in Wasurenagusa
- Minamoto no Yorimitsu in Onmyōji
- Yuichiro Iida in Makura no Danshi
- Yukimura Sanada in Brave10
- Yuri (The Man) in Infinite Space
- Yunihiko in Damekko Doubutsu
- The eponymous John Wick in his Japanese dub
Toshiyuki Morikawa provides examples of:
- Badass Baritone: You should mostly expect his badass characters to have a deep voice.
- Evil Sounds Deep: You should him to use a deep voice if he plays a villain.