Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada (born March 9, 1979), better known by his professional name Oscar Isaac, is a Guatemalan-American actor and musician.
He's best known for roles such as Poe Dameron in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Llewyn Davis in Inside Llewyn Davis. Born in Guatemala, Oscar's family eventually moved to Florida, where he started a band called Blinking Underdogs. He later attended Julliard, where he met close friend and A Most Violent Year costar Jessica Chastain.
His first major film role was playing Joseph in The Nativity Story, which led to supporting roles in movies such as Robin Hood, Body of Lies, and Drive. His lead role in The Coen Brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis brought him to further prominence, which he then parlayed into landing a prominent role in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, first appearing in 2015's The Force Awakens.
- The Nativity Story (2006) as Joseph
- The Life Before Her Eyes (2007) as Marcus
- Body of Lies (2008) as Bassam
- Agora (2009) as Orestes
- Robin Hood as Prince John
- Sucker Punch (2011) as Blue Jones
- W.E. (2011) as Evgeni
- Drive (2011) as Standard Gabriel
- The Bourne Legacy (2012) as Number 3
- Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) as Llewyn Davis
- A Most Violent Year (2014) as Abel Morales
- Ex Machina (2015) as Nathan Bateman
- Mojave (2015) as Jack
- Star Wars as Poe Dameron
- Show Me A Hero (2015) as Nick Wasicsko
- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) as En Sabah Nur / Apocalypse
- The Promise (2016) as Michael
- Suburbicon (2017) as Bud Cooper
- Annihilation (2018) as Kane
- Operation Finale (2018) as Peter Malkin
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) as Miguel O'Hara / Spider-Man 2099 (voice)
- Triple Frontier (2019) as Santiago "Pope" Gomez
- The Addams Family (2019) as Gomez Addams
- Dune (2020) as Duke Leto I Atreides
He provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: Oscar is mostly of Southern European descent (Spanish and southern French), plus some Amerindian on his mother's side and some distant Jewish on his father's, but he can pass as a lot of things.
- Anti-Hero: He plays these kind of characters a lot.
- Badass Beard: He frequently has one, both in films and real life.
- The Cast Show Off: He will occasionally get an opportunity to show off his impressive singing skills. The extended version of Sucker Punch has him doing a fantastic cover of "Love Is The Drug".
- Large Ham: When he needs to, he can devour scenery like there's no tomorrow.
- Mr. Fanservice: He is often given shirtless scenes. X-Men: Apocalypse introduces him in nothing but a loincloth.
- Plays Great Ethnics: Isaac is a bit ethnically ambiguous, and this much is invoked in some of the roles he's cast in; to date, he's played Polish (Show Me A Hero), Jewish (A Nativity Story), Egyptian (X-Men: Apocalypse), Armenian (The Promise), among other ethnicities.
- Promoted Fanboy: He was a huge fan of the X-Men growing up and got to play the title villain in X-Men: Apocalypse.
- Scully Box: He has had to use one on occasion as he's about 5'9 and often acts alongside taller actors.
- Shipper on Deck: Throughout the making of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, Isaac has made it clear he supports Poe/Finn, and in interviews clearly seems dejected this angle was not explored.