Timothée Hal Chalamet (born December 27, 1995 in New York City, New York) is an American-French actor.
He was born in New York City, to a French father and an American Jewish mother. Chalamet's professional career began on television, appearing in the cable dramas USA Network's Royal Pains and Showtime's Homeland in 2012. During this time, he also guest-starred in an episode of Law & Order: SVU.
In 2017, Chalamet starred in two coming-of-age dramas that both received major critical acclaim. For his main role in Call Me by Your Name, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, making him the youngest person in that category to be nominated since Mickey Rooney's nod for Babes in Arms at nineteen in 1944. Since his breakout, he's been hyped up as being one of the biggest actors of his generation. He also landed the role of Paul Atreides in Denis Villeneuve's sprawling adaptation of Dune.
He speaks French fluently due to his upbringing. And his name's pronounced Timo-THAY Shala-MAY.
- Royal Pains (2012) as Luke
- Homeland (2012) as Finn Walden
- Men, Women & Children (2014) as Danny Vance
- Interstellar (2014) as young Tom Cooper
- Love the Coopers (2015) as Charlie Cooper
- Call Me by Your Name (2017) as Elio Perlman
- Hot Summer Nights (2017) as Daniel Middleton
- Hostiles (2017) as Private Philippe Dejardin
- Lady Bird (2017) as Kyle Scheible
- Beautiful Boy (2018) as Nic Sheff
- The King (2019) as Henry V
- Little Women (2019) as Laurie Laurence
- A Rainy Day in New York (2019) as Gatsby Welles
- Dune (2021) as Paul Atreides
- Dune: Part Two (2023)
- The French Dispatch (2021) as Zeffirelli
- Don't Look Up (2021) as Yule
- Bones & All (2022) as Lee
- Entergalactic (2022) as Jimmy (voice)
- Wonka (2023) as Willy Wonka
Timothée Chalamet's works provide examples of the following tropes:
- Dyeing for Your Art: Lost 18 pounds for the role of Nic Sheff in Beautiful Boy, dyed his hair red and has also lost weight for the role of Lee in Bones & All.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Jimmy from Entergalactic is basically an animated version of Timothée with a buzzcut. Even their nicknames are one letter away from similarity (Jimmy/Timmy). In his initial sketches, Jimmy even had Chalamet's characteristic hairdo.
- Star-Making Role: Elio in Call Me by Your Name. Prior to that, his filmography was mainly composed of minor roles. His Oscar-nominated turn as Elio catapulted him directly to fame, and he began booking high-profile projects with famous directors soon after.
- Those Two Actors: Played potential love interests to Saoirse Ronan's character in Lady Bird and Little Women, and appears with her (and a large ensemble cast) in The French Dispatch.
- What Could Have Been: He was among the final contenders to play Peter Parker in the Marvel Cinematic Universe before Tom Holland was cast.