Alain Yves Stéphane Chabat (born November 24, 1958 in Oran, French Algeria) is a French actor, comedian, voice actor, director, screenwriter and TV host.
He gained notice and fame after founding the comedy group "Les Nuls" (The Dummies) with Bruno Carette, Chantal Lauby and Dominique Farrugia in the late 1980s on the Canal+ TV channel. His parodic and nonsensical comedy writing has been largely inspired by Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker, as he's a big fan of them, and went on to become a key component of the "Canal Spirit", Canal+'s irreverent brand of humor. Les Nuls disbanded in 1992, but still ended up reunited with great success on the big screen with La Cité de la peur in 1994, which is still considered as one of the best French absurd comedies ever made.
Along with his acting and voice acting career (he is the French voice of Shrek, among others), he went on to become a commercially successful director, most famously with Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra. He also kept working for Canal+, such as when he hosted the short-lived humoristic Game Show Burger Quiz in the early 2000s.
Works he has appeared in include:
- La classe américaine - Le Grand Détournement (1993) as Gorge Profonde (Deep Throat)
- La Cité de la peur (1994) as Serge Karamazov / the hammer & sickle killer / Jacques (also written by him)
- French Twist (1995) as Laurent
- Quest for Camelot (1998) as Devon & Cornwall (French dub)
- Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (2002) as Julius Caesar (also directed and wrote)
- Shrek (2001 - 2010) as Shrek (French dub)
- Avez-vous déjà vu... ? (2006) as the Narrator
- Kaamelott (2007 plus The Film of the Series) as the Duke of Aquitania
- Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009) as Napoléon Bonaparte
- A Thousand Words (2012) as Christian Léger de la Touffe
- HOUBA! On the Trail of the Marsupilami (2012) as Dan Geraldo (also directed and wrote)
- Ice Age 4: Continental Drift (2012) as Silas (French dub)
- Froth on the Daydream (2013) as Jules Gouffé
- The Mansions of the Gods (2014) as Senator Prospectus (French voice)
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) as Bob the pirate
Tropes about his works:
- Directed by Cast Member: He very frequently stars in the films that he directs.
- He Also Did: Along with his Les Nuls buddy Dominique Farrugia, he wrote the Pragmatic Adaptation French dub of Wayne's World.
- Parody: The bread and butter of Les Nuls, and beyond in some of the things he wrote and/or directed. Les Nuls, much like Les Inconnus, parodied plenty of films, television shows and ads of the late 1980s and early 1990s, but with way more absurd.