James Mangold (born December 16, 1963) is an American film director.
He notably studied filming in Milo Forman's classes.
- Heavy (1995)
- Cop Land (1997)
- Girl, Interrupted (1999)
- Kate & Leopold (2001)
- Identity (2003)
- Walk the Line (2005)
- 3:10 to Yuma (2007) (2007)
- Knight and Day (2010)
- X-Men Film Series
- Ford V Ferrari (2019)
- Indiana Jones 5 (2022)
Tropes & Trivia in his works:
- Creator Killer: Downplayed example-the box office failures of Girl, Interrupted and Kate & Leopold did not halt his directing career, but he would only write one more screenplay until Logan, focusing solely on directing in the interim.
- He Also Did: One of his early gigs was as co-writer on animated musical Oliver & Company.
- Production Posse:
- On the production side, he frequently works with composer Marco Beltrami, cinematographer Phedon Papamichael and editor Michael McCusker. His wife Cathy Konrad was also his main producer on his works until they divorced in 2014.
- On the acting side of the camera, he's made three films with Hugh Jackman and two films each with Christian Bale, Viola Davis, Ray Liotta and Robert Patrick.
- What Could Have Been: He was set to direct a Boba Fett-centric Star Wars spinoff film, but the Box Office Bomb Solo: A Star Wars Story gave cold feet to Disney/Lucasfilm and spinoff films were scrapped. The project likely morphed into the series The Mandalorian, in which Mangold has no input whatsoever.