Damekko Doubutsu ("Useless Animals") is a manga by Noriko Kuwata, which was serialized in Manga Life from 2001 to 2003. It was adapted to a 26-episode anime series in 2005, with each episode being only five minutes or so in duration.
The series focuses on a timid wolf named Uruno, who stumbles into a forest one day on the brink of starvation. He soon encounters an aggressive, chain-smoking rabbit named Usahara, along with many other animals with no special talents who do not meet the expectations of how their species should behave. While the characters view each other as animals, they're visually depicted as people in animal costumes.
Provides examples of:
- Acrophobic Bird: None of the birds or the pegasus is afraid to fly; however, Sakamata, a whale, cannot swim.
- Art Shift: Whenever Yunihiko shows up, expect this to happen. What the hell, happens all. The. Time. To Characters. Good thing too.
- Bishōnen: All the males characters when not in Super-Deformed mode.
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Usahara can be seen doing this when ever he gets really annoyed or very angry.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Peganosuke has sky-blue eyes and no pupils.
- Goldfish Scooping Game: The Female Feline club run one at the Useless God's festival. Being catgirls, they end up catching and eating all the fish themselves.
- Interspecies Romance: Uruno, a wolf, is in love with Chiiko, a cheetah.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Everyone in the forest. They even worship a God of Uselessness (that rock with a red "X" in the picture).
- Super-Deformed: The default art style, although occasionally a more realistic style is used for Art Shift moments.