Maverick: Maybe so, sir. But not today.
Top Gun: Maverick is an upcoming American action/military drama film directed by Joseph Kosinski (TRON: Legacy, Oblivion) with a screenplay written by Peter Craig, Justin Marks, Christopher McQuarrie and Eric Warren Singer. It is the sequel to 1986's Top Gun.
Tom Cruise reprises his role as Peter "Maverick" Mitchell, who, after a 30-year career, hasn't been able (or did not want) to Rank Up beyond Captain and is now a flight instructor of TOPGUN. He mentors Bradley Bradshaw (Miles Teller), Goose's son, who seeks to become an aviator much as his father was.
The cast also includes Val Kilmer reprising his role as Thomas "Iceman" Kazansky, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, Ed Harris, Glen Powell and Lewis Pullman. The film is scheduled to be released on July 2, 2021.
Top Gun: Maverick contains examples of:
- Character Aged with the Actor: It's pointed out in the trailer that Maverick has had 30+ years of service. Tom Cruise is 30+ years older than he was in the first film.
- Determinator: When Maverick is told that "[his] kind is headed for extinction" in the trailer, he has this answer:Maverick: Maybe so, sir. But not today.
- Due to the Dead: The trailer shows a military funeral with soldiers who are about to shoot a three-volley salute.
- Iconic Outfit: In the trailer, Maverick puts his iconic leather jacket and aviator sunglasses on once more (albeit with some of the patches on the jacket's upper back altered due to changes in geopolitics since the first film).
- Lampshade Hanging: At Maverick's age, he should either be retired or an admiral. The trailer lampshades this, with Ed Harris's character chewing him out for his behavior and how it's resulted in a stalled career.
- Military Maverick: Mitchell's maverick behavior all these years prevented him from rising above the Captain rank. His superior (Ed Harris) points out in the trailer that he should be two-star Admiral by now after 30+ years of service. He doesn't seem to mind.Maverick's superior: Thirty plus years of service. Combat medals. Citations. Only man to shoot down three enemy planes in the last forty years. Yet, you cant get a promotion, you wont retire, and despite your best efforts, you refuse to die. You should be at least a two star admiral by now. Yet, here you are, "captain". Why is that?
Maverick: It's one of life's mysteries, sir.
- Older Is Better: The second trailer shows that Maverick has been called back to train new recruits in his own old-school dogfighting ways, which are implied to having no equal.
- Shirtless Scene: Both trailers show shirtless men juggling with football balls, no doubt recalling the famous beach volleyball scene from the original film.