Legend of Himiko is a 12-Episode Anime series, manga book, and PlayStation game (of the Adventure and Dating Sim sort). All three were released in early 1999. The manga and character design were by Oh! Great.
The nation of Yamatai is under threat from the overseas kingdom of Kune. In an attempt to stave off an invasion, the people of Yamatai attempt to install a Queen to rule over their kingdom, which is to be chosen by the mysterious Bokka. However, the Kune army attacks Yamatai before the selection of the Queen can be completed, and the Bokka disperse the six queen candidates across the nation. The Bokka themselves take shelter in a newborn girl named Himiko and the pendant she is wearing and transport her to modern times, where she is found by a boy named Masahiko Kutani.
Years later, an adolescent Himiko and her stepbrother Kutani are checking on some ruins and are suddenly spirited away to Yamatai, now under Kune rule. There they'll learn about Himiko's heritage, meet the other queen candidates, and start fighting for the freedom of Yamatai.
This anime/manga provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Pretty much all six queen candidates. But Imari's the only one we see actually fighting until the climactic final battle. Logically, they were more action-y in the game.
- Big Bad: Lord Shikara, governor-general and son of the king of Kune, is the one leading the invasion of Yamatai.
- Decoy Protagonist: Himiko, who has a small role overall compared to other girls despite being the one Trapped in Another World.
- Fight Unscene: The penultimate episode suffers from these. We only see two brief part of Shino's duel with Kira, but we don't really see how it turned out. Then in the next and last episode, we see her with a small wound on her arm and have no idea how she got it.
- Lady of War: Imari, when she finally fights. She can put that Cool Sword of hers to a good use when she bothers to.
- Miko: Seika is pretty much your Shinto priestess in a Japanese Fantasy Counterpart Culture.
- Mr. Exposition: Seika, the one who handles the info due to her Crystal Ball and Psychic Powers.
- Old Maid: Implied with Fujina, since Shino calls her "old hag" and she really dislikes it.
- Trapped in Another World: Kutani and Himiko. More exactly, Himiko was trapped in our world, and when she's brought back to Yamatai Kutani is the one who's trapped in hers.