Spoilers abound!! Read at your own risk.
Sion Eltnam Atlasia
Voiced by: Rio Natsuki (JP - Melty Blood, Carnival Phantasm), Satomi Akesaka (JP - Under Night In-Birth, as "Eltnum")
Sion is an Alchemist of Atlas, a magic organization in Egypt independent of the Mage's Association. According to her calculations, Tatari is going to manifest in Misaki. Bearing a grudge against the mysterious vampire, she came in an attempt to kill him. She quickly meets up with Shiki and commences the first battle of the story. Following that, she and Shiki track down the mysterious Tatari, but she eventually lies and says they have defeated him before they really have managed to do so. Shiki catches on and they eventually face Tatari in battle where, with the assistance of Arcueid, they finally manage to destroy him for real.
The reason for her grudge against the Tatari is rooted in a failed attempt by the Church to kill him at an earlier time. However, the rest of the group was killed, including her friend Riesbyfe Stridberg. Sion was only spared because Tatari realized she was a descendant of his, so he merely drank her blood. Due to the nature of the Tatari, she has yet to fully vampirize and intends to kill him before this can happen.
Vampire Sion/Sion TATARI is story-wise an Alternate Continuity where Sion has succumbed to her vampiric impulses and is on the verge of succeeding Wallachia as the new TATARI. Despite this she can still fight her normal self.
- Alchemy Is Magic: "Mental" Alchemy, where the lineage is constantly upgrading their bloodline to have higher cognitive abilities. Traditional alchemists also exist.
- Alternate Continuity: Within Melty Blood itself, one can play as "V. Sion/Sion Tatari" and "Normal Sion." Unlike other Evil Counterparts who are just Tatari Nightmares, Vampire Sion is an Alternate Continuity where she succumbs to the bloodlust. Compare "Evil Ryu" from Street Fighter.
- In Fate/Grand Order, the end of the second Lostbelt Götterdämmerung ends with the introduction of Sion Eltnam Sokaris, since Grand Order is a world where she did not become head of Atlas.
- Assist Character: As Vampire Sion, she can summon copies of Satsuki, Ciel and Arcueid to attack.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Alchemists of Atlas are even capable of predicting the future because of this. It's basically a form of Laplace's Demon.
- Ax-Crazy: Kinda. Since Re-Act, Vampire Sion picks up her parent vampire's habit of shouting Katto during battle. It's not as extreme as his case, but hey, she still has to grow into the role...
- Berserk Button: Implying that she has been careless annoys her.
- The Chessmaster: Her forte.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Akiha.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Courtesy of Shiki. she goes from The Stoic to Shrinking Violet in his presence.
- Dirty Mind-Reading: At one point in manga Shiki politely, with friendly smile asks her what he is thinking right now. After few seconds she blushes red as tomato, and angrily lashes out and hits him. Sadly, readers weren't told what was he thinking, or was Sion in it.
- For Want of a Nail: Her existence is tied to the Fate/EXTRA universe's possible creation. According to extra material, her being stillborn led her twin sister to become head of Atlas instead, being credited with Rani's, one of Extra's main heroines, creation even.
- Guest Fighter: In Under Night In Birth under the name Elthum. She appears as a hidden boss character.
- Handguns: Sion is the only Melty Blood character to carry a ballistic gun. She will run out of bullets and need to reload if you use it too much.
- Hidden Buxom: She´s actually an E cup, although it´s not very visible.
- Hyper-Awareness: Sion can "overclock her brain" through her techniques and predict probable future outcomes using math and magic.
- Kiss of the Vampire: In MeltyBlood Vampire Sion can use this as a GrappleMove as well as heal herself this way.
- Meaningful Name: In Japanese, her name is pronounced shion. That's the name of a flower associated with memories. Sion can read and manipulate memories using her Etherlite.
- Meta Guy: In the english-translated Under Night In Birth, Eltum runs with it, often commenting on Melty Blood.
- Not So Stoic: Shiki you womanizer... In her winquote against Shiki, Sion comments that she had to fight because he distracted her from her calculations, but it wasn't his Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, it was... just him.
- She also very nearly breaks down when she realizes that her best friend has been brought Back from the Dead... And is stuck serving the villain.
- Odd Friendship: With Satsuki, Roa, White Len and Len — the "Back Alley Alliance!" Also with Akiha, once she reveals that she has a method to control Shiki.
- Sion tends to have a lot of these. She was also good friends with Riesbyfe Stridberg. Ordinarily, mages and the Church aren't on good terms.
- Only Sane Woman: At times. Just... watch Satsuki's ending in Actress Again!
- People Puppets: A use of Etherlite.
- Power Up Letdown: Lore-wise, it would seem Vampire Sion is stronger; however, her lack of her gun and Etherlite whip techniques severely limit her options, making her much easier to deal with than her regular self.
- Pinball Projectile: Half-Moon-Sion can do this. While it's acceptable that the bullets may ricochet when shooting at the ground if one stretches their suspension of disbelief for a bit, one can only wonder how the bullets ricochet on the top of the screen.
- Psychic Link: Etherlite is also capable of doing this. Sion's family are literally nicknamed "spiritual hackers" because of this.
- Rapunzel Hair: Although it's braided up most of the time, its quite obvious her hair is really, really long if her winpose is any indication.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In Vampire Mode.
- Resist the Beast: Several of V. Sion's pre-fight quotes are pained pleas for the opponent to run away.
- Significant Anagram: Her family name of 'Eltnam' can be rearranged to form the word 'Mental', which is the school of Alchemy she practices.
- Split Personality: A really unique twist on this. She has multiple "rooms of thought" while most people have one, so she thinks of up to at least seven subjects at a time. It's the same personality, but it's thinking about seven different things at once with the same focus.
- Spock Speak: Goes into this on occasion.
- Super OCD: The notion that something might be "random" irritates her incredibly.
- Teen Genius: Thanks to her ability to make millions of calculations in a fraction of second.
In one of her Act Cadenza winquotes, Sion comments that "Hand-to-hand combat isn't so bad. When I return I may add it to my curriculum", suggesting that she didn't receive any formal training, but thanks to her ability, she's perfectly capable of incorporating close combat whenever necessary.
- Transplant: Bordering on expy, "Eltnum" appears in Under Night In-Birth with the same background as Sion.
- It's notable that all of 'Eltnum's' sprites were made for Melty Blood HD, but since French Bread isn't allowed to make that until the Tsukihime Remake comes out...
- Tsundere: A more subdued example of a Type A, but she shows the associated traits, especially in her ending for Re-ACT.
Voiced by: Miwa Kouzuki (JP)
- "I don't care for whatever plans you have for humanity, just give Onii-chan back!"
Miyako is Shiki's much younger sister from the Arima family. She rarely talked with Shiki, so he assumed she didn't like him. In fact, the opposite was true: she loved him very much, but was shy so she couldn't approach him. Instead, she would get embarrassed, tackle him, and then run away. She views the Tohno family as having 'kidnapped' Shiki and goes to 'rescue' him. She has a fascination with Chinese martial arts, and Wallachia increased her fighting ability. She was mentioned briefly in the original Tsukihime and Len was mistaken for her in Kagetsu Tohya, but she did not receive a proper introduction until Melty Blood.
One of the two protagonists of the spinoff manga Hana no Miyako.
- Anime Chinese Girl: She has the clothes and knows martial arts, but she's not actually Chinese.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: In one of the stranger original arcs in Melty Blood, the Tatari tried to focus on Miyako's fears. But something was radically different about her "pure heart" and instead of a temporary materialization, the "Influence of the Tatari" gave her Arcade-style KungFu. Her first impression of Kohaku was "Mad Scientist/Witch."
- Future Badass: Significantly stronger in Hana no Miyako, to the point of being able to replicate Berserk Li Shuwen's Noble Phantasm.
- Little Miss Badass: She is a small girl, for sure, but that doesn't stop her from being a fighter.
- Lightning Bruiser: Her small size makes her difficult to hit, and while that gives her a lack of reach; it does not change that her attacks are both strong and fast, enough to end the fight once she gets close.
- Sheathe Your Sword: Expels Tatari in the Melty Blood Act 2 Manga by getting more upset that Shiki starts to fight back (and hits her lightly) and runs away crying instead of escalating the fight.
- Shout-Out: The style of Kung Fu that she uses is from The King of Fighters games which is another indicator of the "fictional" origin of them. Fans have run with this, drawing pictures of her posing with The King of Fighters cast.
- Token Mini-Moe: While Len is Really 700 Years Old and has significance to the plot, Miyako seems to exist to provide a genuine young girl to the cast.
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes: Averted. Possibly the only person who doesn't have Glowing Eyes of Doom, except possibly Hisui and Kohaku. Interestingly, she also avoids the Anti-Demon (Occult Blue Eyes or gray eyes) or Demon (Red Eyes, Take Warning, Supernatural Gold Eyes) paradigm.
Red Arcueid (Warcueid)
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (JP)
Red Arcueid is a hypothetical Arceuid that has given into her blood lust created by Wallachia. However, because Arcueid is such a powerful being, she is limited to one third of her normal power. Red Arcueid is completely bloodthirsty and insane with absolutely no value for life.
- Ax-Crazy: She is the manifestation of Arcueid's suppressed bloodlust, and thus delights in violence.
- Colony Drop: Her Arc Drive, Blut die Schwester, drops a blood-colored moon onto her opponent.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Her interaction with Ciel in Actress Again.Ciel: "A copy that exists solely for a single night. Without purpose, and without salvation. I suppose I can offer you at least some sympathy."Red Arcueid: "Ahahaha, you are truly unpleasant! That sort of sympathy is for livestock that's about to be eaten! Oh wow, that's why I like you so much, Ciel! You're the only one that truly despises me!"
- Enemy Without: She is is Arcueid's bloodlust manifested into physical form.
- Evil Laugh: Pull off her Last Arc and treat yourself to a magnificent example of this.
- Eviler Than Thou: Averted. Red Arc claims Arc is worse than she is.Red Arcueid: You're quite the monster, Arcueid. Compared to you, I'm just a small fry!
- Faux Affably Evil: When she first runs into other characters, she can seem down right charismatic. Her lack of Aruceid's air-headed qualities can be a dead-giveaway to characters like Ciel who are just looking for a reason to attack Arcueid. And it doesn't take much to get Red Arcueid to snap straight into her crazy laughter anyway. Usually the others don't even get to point out that the jig is up after she makes fun of them and she just starts laughing at things she said herself and at them.
- For the Evulz: Rather than go straight to killing Arcueid and cementing her existence, Red Arcueid decides to take her time and mosey across the city, having fun and messing with whomever she happens across on the way.
- I Shall Taunt You: Definitely has some fun with pointing out how lame she and Arcueid think those they don't like are, such as Ciel.
- Long-Range Fighter: Has a slew of projectiles to pressure the opponent.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has red sclera and Supernatural Gold Eyes, giving her an even more menacing appearance.
- Villain Teleportation: She can keep up with someone running for their life by simply walking after them like Arcueid, or even running, if she's so inclined, but she's extremely fond of this.
Cat-Arcueid (Neco-Arc, or just Neco)
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (JP)
Neko-Arc was originally nothing more than a chibified Arcueid that would appear to harass Ciel in the Tsukihime hint corner Teach Me Ciel-Sensei. This trend continued into Kagetsu Tohya, but in Melty Blood she became a fully fledged character. As you can probably guess from her appearance and origins, she is not the most serious character around. In Carnival Phantasm, she is the owner and main bartender of the Ahnenerbe Cafe.
- Alternate Universe: She and the other Neco-Arcs are apparently the result of Zelretch's multiuniversal travels, as Aoko mentions that Neko-Arc is the work of "the old man".
- Assist Character: She can call for reinforcement Neko-Arcs.
- Beam Spam: Entirely possible for a player who's got fast-ass thumbs.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Her Last Arc summons Nasu himself and crushes her opponent with his giant mushroom avatar.
- This is pretty much the entire reason she exists. As mentioned below, she started as Ciel's foil in the "Teach Me Ciel-Sensei" scenes, which directly addressed the player and had characters commenting on events happening in the game.
- Guest Fighter: In Fate/tiger colosseum.
- Happiness in Slavery: Blushes when being stomped by Mech-Hisui and follows her when they tag together as Necomech
- Interface Screw: Has a move that reverses the directional controls of both players.
- Joke Character
Cat-Arcueid Chaos (Neco-Arc Chaos)
Voiced by: Joji Nakata
Similar to Neco-Arc, he is a parody of Nrvnqsr "Nero" Chaos, and possibly Joji Nakata for that matter. He wants to be an actor, but never seems to be able to make it.
- Badass Baritone: Despite not looking badass.
- Butt-Monkey: No character treats him with respect.
- Cloning Blues: In his secret Story Mode in Act Cadenza Ver. B, he must fight 4 clones of himself as the mid-boss.
- Joke Character
- Lethal Joke Character: Think Neco-Arc but with Nero Chaos's moves in addition to the original ones.
- Smoking Is Cool: Totally played straight.
Voiced by: Miyu Matsuki (JP)
Mecha-Hisui is a robotic version of Hisui created by Kohaku, most likely while under the influence of Wallachia. Her duty seems to be to guard the Tohno Mansion from intruders, of which there are a large amount. It's revealed that Kohaku had built an entire factory that mass produces these units.
- Arch-Enemy: Mutually towards Neco-Arc.
- Assist Character: Can call for ground and aerial support in her H-Moon variant. In all her variants, she can summon around 30 Mech-Hisuis for her Arc-Drives.
- BFS: Big Effing Chainsaw.
- Expy: A robotic version of one of the main characters of a fighting game originally released in 2002, that has since recieved a truckload of updates. Now who are we talking about, Mecha-Hisui or Robo-Ky? Her H-Moon variant plays exactly like Dhalsim, only lacking his teleport.
- Insistent Terminology: Kohaku is addressed by Mecha-Hisui as either 'Doctor' or 'Doctor Kohaku'. (And 'Nee-san'.)
- Magic-Powered Pseudoscience: What exactly Mecha-Hisui is made of isn't quite known but she was created "under the Tatari's Influence." It is highly unlikely that Kohaku, no matter how twistedly smart she is, knows traditional electronics, programming, and robotics to the degree necessary.
- In the pre-battle dialogue with Aoko, Aoko refers to Mecha-Hisui as a magic doll.
- More Dakka: Her F-Moon variant has a submachine gun, bazooka, rocket launcher, and timed bombs.
- Overly Long Name: Pleasant Type Latent City Subjugation Weapon Hisui.
- Robo Speak: Used in general for Calling Your Attacks. Also, will call out: "Nee-san... Nee-san..." if beaten by Kohaku.
- Some Dexterity Required: Her damage output requires precise and swift inputs, otherwise it stays at low levels.
- Shock and Awe: She can attack with electrical currents in her C-Moon and H-Moon variants.
- Shout-Out: Mecha-Hisui's chainsaw is the Chainsawd weapon from Phantasy Star Online along with her aerial laser bazooka.
- Super-Powered Robot Meter Maids: Seriously, are missiles, lasers, jetpacks, submachine guns, electric shocks and a chainsaw really necessary for a "Pleasant Type" robot? Of course, she was designed by Kohaku...
- Take Over the World: She (and the other mass produced Mech-Hisuis) try to do this at the end of her arcade mode in Act Cadenza. Whether or not they succeed no one knows.
Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe (JP)
Riesbyfe was a Church Knight and a close friend of Sion before dying at the hands of the Night of Wallachia in the incident that infected Sion with vampirism. However, her soul remained alive and intact within the TATARI as data, due to the True Apocrypha's protection. Sion was able to steal this data from Wallachia during their fight, prior to his death at Shiki's hands. Dust of Osiris used that same information, alongside the Aqua Vitae, to resurrect Riesbyfe. Despite having been recreated through the TATARI, Riesbyfe was completely alive and completely human. After Osiris' defeat, Sion stole Osiris' program and maintained Ries' existence herself, at the expense of two Thought Partitions. Riesbyfe's playable story arc takes place in the Vampire Sion timeline; although she is present in the "main" Sion timeline as well.
- The Ageless: Somewhat implied when she remarks that the wielder of the True Apocrypha "could live a lifetime and never show it."
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Stridberg is an actual Swedish surname. Riesbyfe is not a name or even word in any language.
- Back from the Dead: Utilizing the TATARI and the Aqua Vitae created from her Philosophers Stones, Dust of Osiris resurrected Riesbyfe as a living, breathing human being, although she still requires a mana flow like a familiar would.
- Bodyguard Crush; Pretty heavily implied to have one on Sion.
- Catch and Return: She can deflect most projectiles with a timely strike of her shield.
- Covert Pervert: Focuses quite a bit on Sion's figure during the gratuitous bath scene in Melty Blood X. There's even hearts at the end of each sentence.
- In game, prefers being around cute girls, Does Not Like Men.
- Downer Ending: Her playable story ends in one. Having taken place during the Sion TATARI continuity, Riesbyfe is forced to take her down. In the end, Riesbyfe defeats Dust of Osiris, the person who resurrected her. Osiris tells her how she instigated the new TATARI in order to save her. After a heartfelt talk between the two of them, the two die together as TATARI collapses.
- Expy: Her existence is very similar to the Servants of Fate/stay night. She's a living TATARI created from the previous Tatari's perfect information of her after Zepia ate her.
- In the manga, she even boasts that she is Sion's Shield; a similar oath to the one that Saber made.
- Honor Before Reason: Her reason for serving the Dust of Osiris despite not being under her control.
- Knight in Shining Armor
- Mindlink Mates: Once Sion downloads her into two partitions of her mind to maintain her existence; they both can hear each other's thoughts and there's even some information bleed, like Riesbyfe using software terms.
- Mighty Glacier: Much slower in her attacks than it seems, but each of those attacks hit very hard.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Holds fast to this with regards to the Dust of Osiris, except in her own storyline.Riesbyfe: Slow down, Ultimate One. Although it is temporary, she is my master. As a knight, I cannot simply let this matter go.Archetype Earth: Hm? There was some worthless object over there, so I kicked it away. Would you happen to be that object's toy? But, a thing that cannot protect it's master dares to call itself a knight. An inferior master has an inferior knight. That is the way of things.Riesbyfe: Indeed, I am a phantom limited to one night. But she is different. Until the very end, she treated me as a friend. Take back your words, vampire princess. You can take away her wishes. However, I will not let you take away her honor!
- No-Sell: The True Apocrypha protects Riesbyfe on a mental level as well as physical, rendering her immune to anything that would affect her mind.
- Posthumous Character: She was member of the Church and mentioned as a companion of Sion's in the group that was sent to try to stop Tatari, and died trying to buy her time to escape. Sion was extremely close to her, and kept a memento of her at all times. Then she appears in Actress Again, reanimated by the Dust of Osiris.
- Pile Bunker: True Apocrypha, as befitting a planned rival of Ciel.
- Shield Bash: A core part of her fighting style.
- Shout-Out: In sixth chapter of Kara no Kyoukai, the headmaster of Reien Girl's Academy is stated to be "Mother Riesbyfe" and mentioned to have a large string instrument case in her office.
- Staking the Loved One: Playing as her in Actress Again takes place in the Sion Tatari continuity, and she has to put down both V. Sion and The Dust Of Osiris; also Sion.
- Together in Death: "I hope to be able to see you again, friend, after the darkness."
- Super Strength: She claims to be able to put two-to-five tons of force into her punches, which would already make her strong enough to crush human skulls like particularly fragile eggshells, but Arcueid claims that Ries can hit at 100 tons. Which, for reference, would put her on the level of Berserker.
- Undying Loyalty: Quite literally, toward Sion.
Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (JP)
- "I see... you're definitely some kind of imitation." [said to Shiki Tohno]
Shiki Ryougi from Kara no Kyoukai makes a special appearance in Melty Blood: Actress Again. For a proper writeup, please consult the Kara no Kyoukai characters page. Shiki is explicitly stated in Melty Blood to have come from another universe, most likely because she and Tohno Shiki do not exist in the same universes. She was apparently brought there by Archetype:Earth, and her story mode ends with the two of them starting to fight.
- Alternate Universe: Her presence in this game is accompanied by a lore tidbit that Kara No Kyoukai is a separate universe from Tsukihime.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Ryougi Shiki proves to be maybe the only female character to not be immediately charmed by Tohno Shiki. In fact, she kills a TATARI-made copy of him in a knife fight at the end of her story route. Cue Arcueid's appearance as Archetype:Earth, and she's uncharacteristically out for blood...
- Epic Battle Boredom: Before Archetype Earth showed up, Ryougi barely shows any form of excitement in any of her scenario's fights, even though her story mode opponents were a Dead Apostle Ancestor (whom Tohno had lots of trouble fighting initially in his home game), a Familiar with powerful magic up her sleeve, and a guy with similar deadly abilities to hers. She even dismisses Osiris as an insignificant mess Aoko could easy clean up on her own and admits to Tohno that the only reason she's fighting him isn't because she wants to but because she has to even though she could care less about him at all! It's also heavily implied that she curb stomped everyone she fought in Melty Blood, including Tohno.
- Glass Cannon: Her attacks have great reach and high speed...but she'll die in moments when she is forced on the defensive.
- Guest Fighter: She is the only character in Current Code who does not originate from Tsukihime verse.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Has a second knife she can throw as a nigh-unreactable projectile. Her H-Moon variant allows her to catch it in mid-air.
Archetype Earth is a playable character in Current Code. She is a fragment of Arcueid's subconscious who decides to wake up and take over during the duration of the game. She essentially represents Arcueid at her most powerful, her original form before her fall due to Roa's actions.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: The climax of her and Arcueid's plot in Current Code is this; with the winner coexisting with humanity or destroying it.
- Blow You Away: Tornadoes.
- Body Horror: She can grow a third arm out from her stomach.
- Boss in Mook Clothing: Specifically Bonus Boss in mook clothing. In Current Code, sometimes performing too well during an arcade run (such as scoring a lot of Arc Drive Finishes) causes her to challenge you while totting her infamous Eclipse style, which gives her insane Magic Meter boost and 0-cost supers. Losing to her here doesn't end your run, though.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Including her EX move which can send you right to the other side of the screen if it connects.
- Dying as Yourself: If she loses a PvP match or via time out, she reverts into Arcueid.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: She loves to twirl around in Current Code.
- It Amused Me: Ciel notes that she is as whimisical as Arcueid. Which becomes a problem when she then decides to destroy the world at the drop of a hat.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: She wears a Pimped Out Battle Ballgown with Impossibly-Low Neckline and Combat Stilettos, and twirls around like a classic princess.
- Light 'em Up: She utilizes a few light-based attacks.
- Lightning Bruiser: Her gameplay fits her lore strength, with her C-Moon and H-Moon being strong, but her F-Moon style is full of attacks that have amazing strength, reach and speed; coupled with the fact she moves the fastest in the ground as well as fly, and it's easy to see why she is one of the two uncontested strongest characters in the game.
- Living Weapon: Claims to be one, but has soft spot for Shiki and Ciel.
- Pet the Dog: She commends Riesbyfe after her failed attempt at avenging the Dust of Osiris in Archetype's arcade scenario.Archetype Earth, before battle: "You're getting riled up over something so foolish? Very well. I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself, you sad, pitiful white lily. You're no flower if you just fester and vanish. That body will disappear in a few minutes. Show me you can bloom beautifully on the brink of death."Archetype Earth, after battle: "That was a good, pure sound. I revise my earlier appraisal. Fall to the underworld, shield knight. As an offering to the bird who dreamed of salvation, you will nestle up close to her for all eternity."
- Power Floats: It costs her meter, but she can levitate in the air as well as glide freely in any direction except upwards.
- Pillar of Light: She can summon this as an attack, or as initiation of her Arc Drive.
- Rapunzel Hair: She has long hair.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Unlike Arcueid, she has no qualm on being destructive.
- Shock and Awe: One of her energy orb attacks gives off electrocuted animation if it connects, thus hinting this.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: See Living Weapon.
- Superpowered Evil Side: She is not Arcueid herself, and is not a separate being like Red Arcueid. Rather, she is a fully sentient personality who has been sleeping inside Arcueid and decides to wake up and takes over Arcueid during her story mode.
The Night of Wallachia (Tatari/TATARI)
Voiced by: Yasunori Masutani (JP)
- "Spin the vermin, reverse the guilt.
Reverse the birth, reverse the world.
Spin spin spinspinspinSPIN~~~!"
The Tatari is one of the more bizarre Dead Apostles out there and the thirteenth Dead Apostle Ancestor. While not particularly powerful on his own, the nature of his existence makes him almost impossible to track down and completely impossible to destroy through normal means. The reason is that in one sense there is no Tatari at all, only a recurring phenomenon on par with a hurricane. It merely appears for a single night every few decades. The name Night of Wallachia comes from one of its earlier manifestations not long after the death of Vlad the Impaler, who was already falsely being thought of as a vampire. Due to the Tatari's nature of manifesting itself as the fears of the populace, it appeared as what Vlad would be if he really were Dracula and slaughtered the village.
Due to her grudge against him for both killing her friend Riesbyfe and partially vampirizing her, Sion has managed to track down where he is next to appear, thus setting in motion the events of Melty Blood. It is said that Tatari will not die until the Crimson Moon once again appears in the sky, which will not occur for another thousand years.
Although he has a number of fates in the original Melty Blood, canonically the Night of Wallachia ends abruptly when Arcueid channels Crimson Moon Brunestud, announces that even in a thousand years Zepia will not succeed in making his miracle, and pulls the Crimson Moon from the future to turn him back into his vulnerable vampire form. He is then killed by Sion and Shiki. Despite this, due to the meddling of Aoko and White Len he appears as an avatar of his former self in later Melty Blood games, though he is still dead.
- Alternate Self: In the Fate/Grand Order world, he still became a Dead Apostle but kept his sanity, remaining head of Atlas and even adopting Sion as his daughter and successor.
- Axe-Crazy: "Katto! katto katto katto kattokattokattokattokattokatto KATTO~~~!!!"
- Assist Character: Can call forth copies of Nanaya, Nero and Red Arcueid at any time for an attack each.
- Back from the Dead: Subverted, like the other Tsukihime villains in Melty Blood; it's not really them but an exact copy created by Tatari.
- Big Bad: In Melty Blood.
- Cryptic Background Reference: So what the heck is Program No. Six anyway?
- Curse Escape Clause: Only when the Red Moon shines on him will he be mortal. The next Red Moon is in about... 1000 years.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: It still took Summon Bigger Fish.
- Dracula: The game does in fact point out that Vlad Tepes was a mortal; but one of the first massacres that the Tatari did in the past was a town in the Romanian province of Wallachia that feared the legend of the Son of the Dragon. (Though various Fate series reveal Vlad became a "Heroic Spirit" after death due to his legend, resulting in not one but two different servants)
- Enemy Without: He does not have a true form, he simply takes form according to the dominant fears and rumors in his "hunting grounds".
- The fact that he does this is the reason for Red (Bousou/Berserk) Arcueid, stabby-mode Nanaya Shiki, Mecha-Hisui, Magical Amber Kohaku, a Back from the Dead Nrvnqsr Chaos, and possibly also Vermillion (Kurenai Seki Shuu) Akiha existing.
- Evil Laugh: Both evil and maniacal.
- Don't forget the demented giggling.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: AND HOW! "Mawase mawase mawase mawase mawasemawasemawasemawasemawasemawase MAWASE~~~!"
- Evil Sounds Deep: When he's not laughing insanely, his voice is suitably deep and menacing.
- Eyes Always Shut: Because he drinks so much blood it leaks from his blood filled eyes when he opens them.
- Jackass Genie: Hey, he just materializes as people's wishes. If people want a bumper crop, dead bodies for fertilizer. People want to be friends? Running in terror from him before they die is a great way to connect. People want the favor of their god? He'll become their god and favor them when they die for him. Really, he interprets every single wish as demand for a bloodthirsty rampage.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Has many teeth.
- Not So Different: According to his warped logic, this is why he made Sion into a vampire. Just as Wallachia steals blood and life from others, Sion steals knowledge with her Etherlite as an Eltnum.
- Nigh-Invulnerable: It takes something really special that Shiki can't just hit his Death Spot and kill him.
- That may be a technical point. Shiki's power doesn't work on imaginary/weirdly-existing beings, hence Nasu's clarification that he wouldn't be able to kill a Servant (therefore proving that the famous crossover doujin is on crack and then some... sigh). He's literally described as a phenomenon, so killing him would be like killing a storm, or an earthquake... Maybe... Goddamn it Nasu!
- To clarify, Shiki cannot kill beings outside of the Gaian cycle of life, as he himself is one of those beings. It's the reason why he can see death spots on living beings but lines on inorganic beings. It's easiest for him to comprehend death in beings most similar to himself, although he can still see death for anything under Gaian reality. TYPEs (the ultimate beings of each planet), beings like TATARI, and assumedly Servants, have a different concept of absolute death (Servants can die, but since they're stored in the Throne of Heroes, unless he can kill the record itself, Shiki can't "kill" them).
- Passing the Torch: Villainous version. He wants Sion to be his successor.
- Reality Warper: Through his Reality Marble, he can manifest people's fears in the physical world.
- Start of Darkness: See Well-Intentioned Extremist below.
- Tears of Blood: Mixed with Slasher Smile, both dripping blood.
- You get a full screen of this when you pull off his blood heat attack in Melty Blood.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His final speech to Sion reveals that, after tracing out countless hopeless scenarios of humanity's self-destruction, he became the Tatari in hopes of eventually creating a variable that could alter the future.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Despite his best efforts, he never found a way to even stave off humanity's extinction let alone stop it.
Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (JP)
White Len is a version of Len created by Aoko Aozaki from the remains of Wallachia after he was defeated. She is said to made up of unused parts of the original Len, including both actually speaking and many of her repressed unhealthy emotions.
- An Ice Person: She uses Ice-based attacks.
- Animal Motifs: Much like Len, a Cat. Except, she's the white version.
- Cats Are Mean: A meaner cat than Len, for sure.
- Cute Little Fangs: Sports this on in her more outspoken moments.
- Dark Magical Girl: Ironically she wears white.
- Dream Weaver: Just like Len, this is her specialty.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: For some of her attacks.
- Expy: In-story; she's based on the unused parts of Len's personality.
- Familiar: Obviously. She forms a contract with Nanaya Shiki at the end of her Arcade Mode in Act Cadenza.
- Giggling Villain: She sure does giggle a lot.
- Horny Devils: Not exactly the horny type. But, since she's literally a more outspoken version of Len. Yeah...
- Jerkass: For most of the time.
- Master of Illusion: Her running animation is making around 4 copies of herself to boot. Many of her moves create illusions.
- Oh, Crap!: When she realizes that the Tatari-esque Super-Powered Evil Side characters aren't under her control.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The more talkative red to Len's silent blue.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Not exactly siblings. But, White Len literally is the yang to Len's yin.
- SNK Boss: The reason she was unplayable before Ver. B of Act Cadenza.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Sort of, see Expy above.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Much like Len, she's very fond of sweets. Especially cakes.
- Tsundere: Fans joke that she's the tsun to Len's dere. She is Tsundere for Nanaya in her story mode in Actress Again. The All-Around TYPE-MOON Drama CD has her being called as such by the Nekos.
The Dust of Osiris
The Dust of Osiris is the Big Bad and Final Boss of Actress Again. She is the TATARI of a possible future created from the portion of Sion's blood that Wallachia stole from her. It is effectively Sion as she would have been had she returned to Atlas and never met Shiki and is a Well-Intentioned Extremist. Having decided that humanity could not be saved, she hoped to utilize the Unified Language, as well as a distorted space caused by the Crimson Moon's Time Travel to convert all life into data and store it in her supercomputer, Hermes, leaving behind a record of their existence, at least giving the lives of humanity significance. In all endings where she is fought she is defeated and vanishes, except in V. Sion's where V. Sion absorbs her power and becomes the new TATARI herself.
- Beam Spam: One of her strongest attacks.
- Big Bad: in Melty Blood: Actress Again
- Compelling Voice: Speaks the Unified Language.
- Dying as Yourself: Briefly reverts back to Sion after being KO'd before fading away.
- Emotionless Girl: Basically a living computer. Only Riesbyfe is able to get an emotional reaction from her.
- Enemy Without: For Sion.
- Fling a Light into the Future: After killing everyone first.
- For Want of a Nail: See Future Badass below.
- Future Badass: She's a potential alternate Sion created by the TATARI. When Zepia's personality was destroyed, Osiris took over the TATARI. It is essentially Sion had she not met Shiki and stayed with Atlas.
- Kill All Humans: Since she finds humanity will destroy itself anyway, the Dust of Osiris decides the best solution is to speed it up and leave behind an eternal record of their existence and history.
- Humongous Mecha: Her supercomputer, Hermes, can transform into this for self defense.
- Immune to Flinching: She cannnot be stunned by any number of hits.
- Love Makes You Evil: Became the TATARI because she needed it's power to resurrect Riesbyfe, even with the Aqua Vitae, but see Motive Decay below.
- Motive Decay: Started out trying to cure her vampirism and resurrect her dead best friend, but after becoming the TATARI she gained an obsession with the end of the world akin to her predecessor's, although she came to a radically different conclusion as to what to do about it.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: More like since humanity is going to die anyway, might as well make something constructive from it.
- Philosopher's Stone: Made many, at first to cure her vampirism and to make the Aqua Vitae necessary to reanimate Ries, but later to power Hermes.
- SNK Boss: Picture a faster, more unpredictable Apocalypse and you've probably got it... Current Code also adds in a screen-wide Arc Drive into the mix.