A secret "fourth house" in the hidden society called the Abyss, which exists underneath the Garreg Mach Monastery. The Ashen Wolves are a house In Name Only and are lead by their faction leader, Yuri.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Those who have been ostracized on the surface, whether it's the elderly, orphans, the infirmed, or merchants that have been persecuted by nobles, come to reside in the Abyss and reject those who live on the surface that rejected them first.
- Animal Motifs: Keeping with the theme of the other houses, they have this as well. Their house animal is the wolf.
- Blue Blood: Yuri, Balthus and Constance are nobles, though formerly as they admit to feeling as though society turned its back on them. Its revealed that Yuri wasnt born a noble, being adopted into House Rowe to gain his title.
- Broad Strokes: While the Cindered Shadows DLC contradicts a couple of things in the main DLC such as Byleth being able to meet the Ashen Wolves before the events start (between Byleth obtaining the Sword of the Creator and the death of Jeralt) and working with all three house leaders without mentioning what class they teach, there are implications that events still took place during the main game:
- A quest in the main game has the appearance of Aelfric involves paying respect to Sitri and foreshadows his goal of reviving her.
- Chapter 9 has all the Ashen Wolves members outside Abyss. The end of Cindered Shadows have Rhea disband the group and they left Garreg Mach but did promise to return.
- Both of their Paralogues (One with Balthus and Hapi, another with Yuri and Constance) have them obtain the Heroes' Relics that were shown during the events of the DLC and they are unlocked before Chapter 9.
- Events of the main story are mentioned in the DLC such as the raiding of the Holy Mausoleum and how Byleth knows a little bit about their mother and even foreshadows some events in the future.
- Chained by Fashion: The Ashen Wolves all wear some kind of black chain in their outfits.
- Color-Coded Characters: Like the original members of the cast, they have unique time skip outfits with colors associated with them and their classes:
- Yuri - Purple/Grey
- Balthus - Brown
- Constance - Red/Pink
- Hapi - Green
- Defeat Means Friendship: The only way to recruit the Ashen Wolves in the "Cindered Shadows" DLC is by defeating them in battle.
- Defector from Decadence: Averted, as the Ashen Wolves are already disbanded in the main story before you recruit them. The characters can be recruited on any route, but you must complete certain chapters of the DLC to make them available for recruitment in the main story.
- Disc-One Nuke: Their specializations make them very valuable early game, and great later on if the Cindered Shadows side story was completed.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The Ashen Wolves are an ostracized house living in the basement of Garreg Mach and haven't had a teacher in a long time. They're essentially a delinquent class from high-school dramas.
- Downloadable Content: They are only available with the fourth DLC expansion side story "Cindered Shadows".
- The Fellowship Has Ended: At the end of Cindered Shadows, Rhea decides to disband the Ashen Wolves because she feels that the house's existence pressures its members into remaining in Abyss. The four students depart Abyss to tend to their own affairs, but they all know that they will return soon enough because Abyss has become their true home.
- Foil: Serves as one towards "those who slither in the dark." The Ashen Wolves, and as a whole the residents of the Abyss, live underneath Garreg Mach and are ostracized, and they in turn reject the world because of personal experiences and prefer to live in the shadows comfortably. In contrast, "those who slither" are descendants of an ancient civilization that was wiped off the earth when they attempted to kill Sothis and detest the inhabitants of Fódlan, referring to them as mere "beasts" and actively plan on subjugating them.
- Gameplay and Story Integration: Both Yuri and Hapi heat up quickly in the sauna due to Yuri being a Faerghus native and Hapi likely spending a long amount of time in Faerghus after being taken in by Cornelia.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: The Ashen Wolves have two males (Balthus and Yuri) and two females (Constance and Hapi) as students.
- Hazy Feel Turn: Poaching the Ashen Wolves to the Black Eagles is this, due to Yuri, Constance and Balthus being aligned with the Church Of Seiros. Hapi is an odd case, as she openly shows disdain for the church in her supports due in part to her Dark and Troubled Past.
- Human Sacrifice: In "Cindered Shadows", the Big Bad's evil plan is to use them as fuel for the Rite of Rising in a mad attempt to bring Byleth's mother Sitri back to life.
- Irony: Despite living underground, the Ashen Wolves wear bright silver clothes, in contrast to the above-ground students' predominately black uniforms.
- Mole Men: Residents of Abyss live underneath Garreg Mach Monastery. In general, they are a more noble and passive version of this trope than "those who slither in the dark".
- One Degree of Separation: The DLC characters have historical connections to several members of the main cast.
- Punny Name: The group is basically a group of Lone Wolves that are astray from the rest of the houses. The fact that they also have a unofficial house makes them a Wolf Pack.
- Sixth Ranger: They are the unofficial "fourth house" of Garreg Mach, being smaller than the official houses, and have members who can only be recruited in the Wave 4 DLC expansion. Uniquely, they don't have stat requirements for recruitment, but rather become available for recruitment based on how far you've completed the Cindered Shadows DLC (with Constance being the earliest available after completing Chapter 3, followed by Balthus with Chapter 4, Hapi with Chapter 5, and Yuri after completing Chapter 6).
- What Happened to the Mouse?: If unrecruited in part one of the main story, they disappear entirely from part 2 and cannot be recruited. Unlike most units from the main game, they also dont show up as enemies on any route.
Class: Commoner → Myrimdon → Thief → Trickster
Age: 19 (8/12)
Crest: Aubin (Major)
Voiced by: Jun'ya Enoki (Japanese), Alejandro Saab (English)
He's the leader of the Ashen Wolves. He was once a student at Garreg Mach, but he was expelled and moved to the Abyss. Behind his crude language is someone who wants to protect people living in the Abyss.
His personal ability, Honorable Spirit, increases his attack if he engages an enemy one space away by himself. He bears the Major Crest of Aubin, which has a chance to prevent enemy counterattacks when he uses a weapon.
- Ambiguous Situation: Yuri mostly deals in theft and con artistry, but some of the things he says are just vague enough to leave the audience thinking he might have engaged in prostitution like his mother. His adoptive father may have also adopted the "gorgeous" young Yuri for reasons other than kindness, which according to Yuri is exactly what he planned.
- The Ageless: Implied in his non-Crimson Flower paired endings with male Byleth, which states that the pair was extraordinarily long-lived and that their youth was untouched by the passage of time.
- Babies Ever After: With female Byleth in their non-Crimson Flower paired endings.
- Becoming the Mask: He admits to Bernadetta that while he was hired to kill her, he hesitated because he genuinely felt like her friend, and that hesitation is what allowed her father to find him.
- Bishōnen: Arguably as pretty as Constance.
- Bi the Way: Can reach an S-Support with both male and female Byleth.
- The Charmer: He puts on this persona in order to manipulate the more privileged into giving him what he wants.
- The Chessmaster: He describes himself as being a villain when it comes to strategy, and his plans certainly show.
- In Chapter 2 of Abyss Mode, he purposely left behind trails for the bandits to fall in order to gather them into an underground area away from the living quarters of the Abyss so the Ashen Wolves, the three lords and Byleth could rout them easily. The only kink in his plan was the unexpected appearance of the Death Knight, who was drawn to the proverbial blood in the air.
- Almost the entirety of Cindered Shadows has been part of his plans. He was working with Aelfric in bringing the descendants of the Four Apostles together and keeping tabs on their movements, when in actuality he was also reporting everything that happened to Rhea since he knew full well that Aelfric couldn't be trusted and plotted to sacrifice them all. In the event he did somehow fail, he subtly informed Byleth as to where the attempted Rite of Rising would take place. Aelfric concedes that Yuri was a step ahead of him in this aspect.
- Childhood Friends: He is revealed to be the commoner Bernadetta befriended when she was a child.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Maybe with Bernadetta due to the tone of the ending. While its unambiguously a happy ending for Bernadetta, due to her going down in history as an excellent lord, the ending implies that it was more of a Marriage of Convenience due to Yuri being the only one able to make her close the distance between her and the villagers. This is more apparent in the original text, where its stated that the marriage was perplexing not only to the villagers, but to Yuri most of all, going as far as to state that Yuri had to drag her into the town to manage her people. Coupling this with the fact that they only married because she wouldnt let him go, it leans the ending more on a humorous note than anything overtly romantic, befitting of their established dynamic.
- Combat Stilettos: His boots have a rather prominent heel to them.
- Curtains Match the Windows: His hair and eyes are lavender.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh, very much so. He even puts the likes of Hubert and Claude to shame.Yuri: [to Constance] Let me cut through the mud here—you're broke, and you'll pay me after you get what you want. Wow. I love how irresponsible you are! Refreshing!
- The Don: Serves as this to the people of Abyss, as he maintains order in the town. His "Savage Mockingbird" reputation also heralds him as the de-facto kingpin of Fódlan's underground.
- Double Agent: He's been working with Aelfric in obtaining the relic needed to conduct the Rite of Rising, though Chapter 6 reveals that he's actually been working with Rhea the entire time and informing her of his actions. Indeed, he'd been working for her before he even went to Abyss, as Rhea was suspicious of Aelfric's intentions.
- The Dreaded: Despite his looks, Yuri can be quite frightening when he wants to be. His reputation as the Savage Mockingbird all but establishes him as western Fódlan's very own kingpin, and few dare to cross him.
- Eternal Love: Implied in his non-Crimson Flower paired endings with male Byleth.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Heavily implied, as he says nobles have fought to near death to win his affection but never specifying whether they were male or female. He can also be romanced by a male Byleth.
- Everyone Has Standards: Yuri holds absolute contempt for Miklan if you talk to him during Chapter 5, calling him a slimebag for being a more repugnant criminal than he is along with believing he could run Miklan's gang in a better way.
- Expy: Downplayed. While he does bear a physical resemblance to Leon from Fire Emblem Gaiden, theyre nothing alike from a character standpoint.
- First Friend: To Bernadetta.
- Forced into Evil: Aelfric has been holding his friends and loved ones hostage to ensure he complies with his demands in regards to the Rite of Rising.
- Fragile Speedster: He has an impressive Speed growth, but his physical stats are incredibly low.
- The Gadfly: He likes to tease Constance and Bernadetta to get a reaction.
- Gay Option: Bisexual technically, the third male character that can be romanced by a male Byleth, following Linhardt and Jeritza.
- Guile Hero: Yuri gets by through most of his life and keeping the safety of his friends and people of the Abyss through cunning plans and strategies.
- Guy Liner: His eyelids are covered in purple liner.
- Happily Adopted: Subverted. He was adopted by Count Rowe, but left and has no intention of ever returning.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He really doesn't think much of himself due to his shady past. He tells a young girl that she should never say she wants to grow up to be like him. And despite being flippant about it initially, he seems genuinely shamed by the killings that landed him in Abyss, to the point of objecting when Rhea states she'll allow him to leave. As Rhea puts it, Yuri must live with what he has done.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Balthus in their paired ending, where its stated that Balthus stayed with Yuri for the rest of his days.
- Hidden Depths: His support conversation with Dorothea reveal that he is quite a good singer, enough to be on par with Dorothea's level.
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: States this is why he sides with the Empire on Crimson Flower as he doesn't like fighting losing battles and wants to ensure the safety of his people. Its notable that he doesnt stay in the nation he allied himself with in his solo ending on any route, always returning to the underground in the end to ensure the prosperity of the abyssians.
- Implied Love Interest: As per usual with the house leaders, though to a lesser extent likely due to him technically not having a dedicated route. He gets a fair amount of deliberate Ship Tease with the player in Cindered Shadows due to his status of being The Tease and is soft on them from their first meeting onward.
- In-Series Nickname: Hapi calls him Yuri-bird. Dorothea calls him "Yurikins".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He uses crude language and has a mean-streak at times despite his usually charming nature, even outright threatening Byleth in their C-support, but he has these tendencies out of the protectiveness he feels toward the residents of the Abyss, all of whom he considers to be his people.
- Just Like Robin Hood: He swindles, participates in illicit markets and manipulates others for a living in order to help the less fortunate making him this essentially.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others:
- He is the only male character a male Byleth can romance that does not hail from the Adrestian Empire. According to his support with Ingrid, he is from a poor town in Faerghus.
- Of the four house leaders, he is the oldest by age. He is 19-20 years old during the duration of the Pre-Timeskip segment and 25-26 during the Post-Timeskip segment.
- He is the only house leader that is not a lord, being a commoner formerly adopted into nobility. He is also only an honorary house leader, due to the Ashen Wolves being a house In Name Only.
- Due to the honorary house leader loop-hole, he is the only house leader that can be recruited onto any route, evading being route-locked.
- The Leader: Of his house, being that it hasn't had a professor to guide it for a while.
- Like Brother and Sister: He has this dynamic with Bernadetta.
- Long-Lived: His paired ending with male Byleth states that both of them end up living for a very long time, and neither Yuri or Byleth seem to be aging at all. While Byleth's case is explained by basically becoming a god, and seemingly taking after their mother's nabatean nature (Sitri's corpse is shown to not have deteriorated at all in more than 20 years after her passing), Yuri's is implied to be due to being given dragon blood in his supports with Balthus, healing him and saving him from illness as a child, with the old man that's implied to be Aubin dying not long after. Interestingly, Yuris extended lifespan and perpetual youth is not mentioned in any of his other support endings, including his ending with female Byleth. Going even further, it is implied that he dies of old age in his ending with Constance, leaving how exactly his lifespan expanded in male Byleths ending up in the air.
- Magic Knight: Being a Trickster, he can use swords and white magic. He leans more towards the Knight side of said trope.
- Mama's Boy: One of his interests is caring for his mother. The entire reason he worked for Aelfric was because of him holding Yuri's mother hostage.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: Unlike the three lords, Yuri can be recruited by Byleth alongside the rest of his house. This makes a bit of sense when you realize that Yuri doesn't actually come from a noble or royal family and was adopted.
- Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters: Leads a criminal outfit and is known throughout west Fodlan's underworld as the "Savage Mockingbird", though according to his solo ending the money that comes from all his shady dealings went to establishing orphanages and poorhouses.
- Older Than They Look: His petite stature and effeminate face Pre-timeskip will make you mistake him to be around the other house leaders age when he is actually 19 years old.
- One Degree of Separation: He has this with more characters than the other DLC characters and its touched upon in several of his supports and unique dialogue.
- He was born into a poor town in Faerghus, which was affected by the plague that happened around the time when Dimitri was 2 years old.
- He was the disappeared childhood friend that Bernadetta mentioned in her support with Dorothea.
- He saw Dorothea performing in the Empire and became a substitute for the nobles that wanted Dorothea but couldnt have her.
- He was adopted into House Rowe and there met Ashe, who was the adopted son of Lord Lonato.
- Ingrid had to clean up Sylvains mess at House Rowe when they were kids. note
- When he was enrolled into the Officers Academy by Rowe, he was a Blue Lions student.
- Papa Wolf: Whatever you do, do not harm or dare to threaten those close to him. You won't live long enough to regret it, especially if you have the balls to pick a fight with his friends from the Ashen Wolves.
- Really Gets Around: Implied via Getting Crap Past the Radar, though played to a depressing degree in his support with Dorothea.
- Red Baron: He's known in Fódlan's western criminal underground as the Savage Mockingbird.
- Reverse Mole: Was blackmailed into working for Aelfric, but in truth he caught on to the fact Aelfric was using him a long time ago and was coordinating with Rhea to save his mother.
- The Runaway: He is formerly from House Rowe who adopted him in but ran away, refusing to come back.Yuri: I know you... You're the one Lord Lonato adopted. Isn't that right?
Ashe: That's right... Wait, I recognize you too! You're Count Rowe's adopted son! I don't know how you ended up here, but your house is no doubt worried sick! Let's get you home, ok?
Yuri: You'd really think I'd choose to go back there? Haha! Better watch yourself- you might lose a limb... or your life.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Prior to coming to Abyss, Yuri was enrolled at the Officer's Academy and was ordered to kill his friends (a gang of thieves) prior to his adoption by Count Rowe. He refused his orders, giving away to an argument between him and a few knights before murdering them. He would have been executed, had it not been for Aelfric intervening. He later realized that it was Aelfric who sent him on that mission knowing what would happen, taking both his mother and his former gang captive. This lead him to work for Rhea and find a means to foil Aelfric's plot.
- Son of a Whore: His character notes state he was born to a prostitute in western Fódlan.
- Stone Wall: Once he obtains the Fetters of Dromi, he transitions to Fragile Speedster to this. While his offensive stats are lackluster at best, his speed is high enough for him to avoid being doubled upon, and his Relic allows to proc Pavise and Aegis a lot, allowing him to tank attacks if they actually hit him.
- Tarot Motifs: Through his Crest of Aubin, Yuri represents the Hanged Man, which represents surrender, sacrifice, or stopping to gain new perspectives. Yuri is the leader of a House made up of criminals and outcasts, a position he earned after refusing orders by the Church to kill his old gang. He is also very methodical.
- The Tease: He flirts with Byleth of either gender consistently, even outside of their supports.
- Together in Death: He dies in bed with Constance in their ending together.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: How his plan to stop Aelfric and save his people and mother works out. It was so unspoken that no one realized he even had a plan until midway through it, having only told Rhea (offscreen) and Byleth enough for them to piece things together in time for them to take the needed actions. There were a few hiccups (namely he didn't realize that the Ashen Wolves wouldn't be able to stop their blood being drained on their own), but overall things went as planned.
- Vocal Dissonance: At least in the dub, his voice is quite deep and masculine despite his feminine appearance.
- Weak, but Skilled: His offensive growths are incredibly low for a Magic Knight, such as having a measly 40% and 35% growth in Strength and Magic respectively, and he has both low Defense and Resistance. However, he's insanely fast with one of the best Speed growths in the game, and his Dexterity and Luck stats are fairly solid too. He won't deal much damage, but he can easily avoid just about anyone trying to hit him, making him very good at holding chokepoints or going after enemy mages, and with his House Relic he can easily lend support.
- Withholding Their Name: Its revealed in his Byleth supports that Yuri Leclerc isnt his real name and is simply a name he adopted to fit in. At the end of their S-support, he tells Byleth his real name, however the player never gets to hear what he says. Its stated in his ending with female Byleth that somewhere down the line, she had begun to call him by his real name.
Balthus von Albrecht
Class: Noble → Fighter → Brawler → War Monk
Age: 26 (7/9)
Crest: Chevalier (Major)
Voiced by: Subaru Kimura (Japanese), Aaron Hedrick (English)
His personal ability, King Of Grappling, increases his strength and defense if he is at below half health. He bears the Major Crest of Chevalier, which will sometimes restore his health based on the damage he deals using Combat Arts.
- Adaptive Ability: A variation: his Heroic's Relic, Vajra-Mushti, allows him to use Eviscerate, which targets the lower of the enemies Defense or Resistance.
- Affectionate Nickname: Hilda calls him "Baltie."
- Age-Gap Romance: With both Hilda and Lysithea, being 9 and 12 years older than them respectively after the timeskip.
- An Axe to Grind: His character art has him wielding an axe, and the War Monk class, his native class, is proficient in axes.
- Ancestral Weapon: The Vajra-Mushti, a pair of gauntlets. Uniquely, they aren't a Hero's Relic, but a replica.
- Badass Longcoat: He wears a long white coat during the academy phase. He dumps it five years later.
- Barbarian Long Hair: His time-skip design has him basically wearing a mullet.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He is the so called King of Grappling for a reason, having a proficiency in Brawling, and he can wield the Relic gauntlets Vajra-Mushti.
- Big Damn Heroes: During his supports with Hilda she recalls how when she was a child she, Balthus, and her brother Holst were attacked by a wild beast. Holst held it off while Balthus took Hilda to safety and then ran back to help Holst. Even Hilda had to admit she was in awe of them managing to come back alive.
- The Big Guy: Is the tallest and most well-built of the students. Justified by the fact that going by his age, he's in his mid-twenties pre-timeskip (by far the oldest student, over even Mercedes who's 22 by the start of the game) and already a fully-grown adult.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Quite confident in his skills and loves a good fight.
- Cain and Abel: Subverted. He was close with his younger half-brother and always believed he was better suited to be the head of their family, making handing his inheritance to him that much easier.
- Casanova Wannabe: He tries his hardest to flirt with woman and get their attention, but usually it fails as most of the girls he flirts with are not into him at first. It takes a while for his support options to come around to him.
- Critical Status Buff: His King of Grappling personal ability grants him +6 Strength and Defense at half health. It combos well with the Defiant skills learned from the Master classes.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yuri in their paired ending, where its stated that Balthus stayed with Yuri for the rest of his days.
- Hidden Depths:
- His Budding Talent? Reason, the magic skill that focus on logic and knowledge. This shows that he is much more than just some Dumb Muscle.
- He's noticeably the only member of the Ashen Wolves to have actually graduated from Garreg Mach, only ending up back in Abyss to escape the bounty hunters going after him.
- He Supports with Claude, and he's the only person who can not only keep up with his defensiveness over his past and his prodding, but he even turns it back on him, leaving Claude genuinely indignant and hypocritically getting upset at Balthus for trying to get a read into his past.
- Despite his actions and disposition, he is actually very religious, this being one of the reasons he can promote into the War Monk class.
- Honor Before Reason: Hilda points out that Balthus could simply ask his best friend Holst to help him with his debts, but Balthus refuses out of pride, even though some of the people he owes money to want him dead for his failure to repay them.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns: Has the beginnings of them during the Academy phase, but grows them in properly during the War phase.
- Kamehame Hadoken: As a War Monk, he learns the Pneuma Gale combat arte, which allows one to throw a blast of magic from his gauntlet.
- Lightning Bruiser: Downplayed, as while he doesn't have the high speed growth both Caspar and Alois have, he is significantly much faster than Dedue and Raphael note and has a better maximum defense stat and growth rate than Caspar and Alois. Him being avaliable early on really helps.
- Likes Older Women: His support conversation with Claude reveals that he used to have a crush on Claude's mother Tiana.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: He likes to refer to himself as the "King of Grappling" with some kind of adjective beforehand, like the Ageless King of Grappling, or the Almighty King of Grappling. Said adjectives tend to be tailored to the situation or conversation at hand ("Ageless King of Grappling" being used when his companions are talking about how much older he is than the rest of them).
- Magically Inept Fighter: Like Felix, this is zig-zagged. While his canon classline appears to be War Monk, and he does have a Budding Talent in Reason and a proficiency in Faith, his Magic growth rate is 30% similar to Felix. However, like Felix, while Mortal Savant is a questionable class for him, it does allow him to wield Levin Swords to a great extent.
- My Fist Forgives You: Within the Cindered Shadows DLC, he forgives Yuri for lying to the house only after giving him a good punch.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Not him, but implied in his ending with Hilda that Holst feels this way. In order to get Holsts blessing to take Hilda out to Fodlan and to the kingdom of gold that they found together, its stated that he had to beat Holst in a duel.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: Is bare-chested save for the coat he wears. His time-skip design tosses it aside.
- Older Than They Look: He's actually 26 years old, making him the oldest student in the game (he already graduated even!). This is especially jarring when you consider students like Hubert, Dedue, and Raphael.
- One Degree of Separation: He was a classmate and friend of Holst Goneril back during their academy days.
- Powerful, but Inaccurate: Balthus can learn the Diamond Axe combat art upon reaching C+ rank in axes. It let him deal 14 additional damage at the cost of 20 accuracy.
- Religious Bruiser: Is a devout follower of the Church of Seiros and can be promoted into the War Monk class.
- Tarot Motifs: Through his Crest of Chevalier, he represents the Sun, which when upright, represents happiness and harmony, but when reversed, can represent an abdication of responsibility. Balthus is the most boisterous and carefree of the Ashen Wolves, but he went underground to escape from his debts and bounty hunters.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He has good HP, Strength, and Defense growths, but his Dexterity is very low. This means when he hits, he hits very hard, but he has horrible accuracy and will almost never hit any enemy that has good Speed and Dexterity.
- Wicked Stepmother: His stepmom, mother of his younger brother, has made his life crap and targeted him because of his Crest. For his part he chose to Turn the Other Cheek out of fear of what she'd do to his mother, his father, and even her own son.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: While he will for gameplay purposes, he makes it clear he dislikes the idea of killing girls, especially what he considers pretty ones. He doesn't seem to mind fighting them if they seem tough enough, such as Hilda before he recognized her, but killing bothers him. This is actually accounted for if he is recruited to the Black Eagles; if he is the one to defeat an un-recruited Lysithea after the timeskip, he will ask Byleth to step in and recruit her, before knocking her HP down to 0 which doesnt kill her. Byleth still has to option to kill Lysithea despite this request.
- Interestingly, Balthus doesnt ask Byleth to recruit Hilda on Crimson Flower, likely due to the fact that gameplay mechanic wise, its impossible for her to join Edelgard. His unique dialogue has him tell her hes going to bring her body back home to Holst, offering his life to him after being forced to kill her.
Class: Commoner → Monk → Mage → Valkyrie
Age: 20 (1/15)
Crest: Timotheos (Major)
Voiced by: Sachika Misawa (Japanese), Christine Marie Cabanos (English)
Hapi is a member of the Ashen Wolves. She is a passive woman who doesn't hide her apathy. While she holds a disinterested attitude in everything, she fights against the intruders as part of the Ashen Wolves. It's said that the reason she lives in the Abyss is due to her unique "constitution".
Her personal ability, Monstrous Appeal, makes all her attacks effective against monsters at the cost of drawing aggro to herself. She bears the Major Crest of Timotheos, which gives her a chance to not consume a use of recovery magic.
- Awesome, but Impractical: One of her budding talents is in Axes, and she learns Exhaustive Strike if her budding talent is maxed. However, Exhaustive Strike uses up the weapon's entire durability in exchange for might, making this a not so useful option unless one is willing to reclass her as a Bolt Axe-wielding Wyvern Lord.
- Babies Ever After: With Ashe in their paired ending. Implied with Byleth in their Crimson Flower ending as, compared with certain supports that are explicit with having children after the war, their ending has someone claiming to be their descendant appear in public after Byleth and Hapi disappear post-war against those who slither in the dark.
- Bare Your Midriff: She is the only student who wears a uniform that exposes her midriff.
- Blessed with Suck: She attracts monsters whenever she sighs. Ultimately Subverted. The power itself is ultimately awesome, but Cornelia's experiments on her as a child twisted it into something dangerous. Her solo endings have her finally awaken the proper power to lead an army of Demonic Beasts and wild animals upon those who slither in the dark.
- Brutal Honesty: Shes not afraid to say whats on her mind, especially when it concerns the surface dwellers.
- Casting a Shadow: Just like Hubert and Lysithea, Hapi's Reason magic list is made entirely of Dark Magic.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Her hair and eyes are magenta in her official art though they appear to be more on the red side in her portrait as well as her in-game model.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She mentions at one point that she underwent "experimentation," implying that she suffered similar circumstances as Lysithea and Edelgard. Her gift for being able to conjure monsters by simply sighing didn't do her any favors either and would have been locked away in the church's underground prison to prevent her "gift" from running amok. Her support conversation with Dimitri reveals that Cornelia captured her on the pretense of helping a runaway and kept her captive in a Gilded Cage where she has to go through the experiments that gave her the power to conjure monsters by sighing in exchange of having a place to live, and that is before she made her escape.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Has the darkest skin of her house and has flaming-red hair.
- Deadpan Snarker: Along with being brutally honest.
- Draw Aggro: A variation. Her personal ability gives her a passive effect of making all her attacks deal effective damage to Beast enemies, but doing so means she will always be targeted first by Beasts once within range, unless it is diverted with a Gambit.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: In some of her endings, such as her S-Support with Byleth, her curse is able to be treated, allowing her to express her emotions freely.
- The Eeyore: She has a rather depressing atmosphere and is easily the most cynical among those at the Officer's Academy.
- Emotionless Girl: Justified; due to her curse, she has to keep her emotions in check lest she accidentally sigh and summon a horde of monsters she has no control over.
- Friend to All Living Things: The actual power of her Crest is the ability to communicate with and summon animals and monsters as allies. Unfortunately, the power manifests in an unstable manner thanks to Cornelia's experiments. In her solo endings, it is said that she leads a horde of beasts against Those Who Slither in the Dark.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Constance in their paired ending.
- Hidden Elf Village: Her home village is a secluded village named after Timotheos, hidden deep within the forests of the continent.
- Ironic Name:
- "Hapi", despite her name, appears to be the most cynical out of the Ashen Wolves.
- Her Crest, Timotheos, is represented by the Dark Dragon Sign. Said crest's effects are saving recovery magic charges, which is governed by white magic.
- Magic Knight: Her growths are relatively distributed in the average range, and even though she has a fairly low Strength growth, its just enough to make her passable physically. She leans more towards the Magic side of this trope though, as both her Magic and Resistance growths are high.
- Maybe Ever After: While her paired ending with Constance is explicitly that of friendship, several of her paired endings with male characters (Dimitri, Linhardt and Balthus) don't specify if the relationship was romantic or not, only that they remained together for the rest of their lives.
- The Nicknamer: She refers to her friends by nicknames which varies between both the English dub and original Japanese dub; Yuri-bird (Yuri in the Japanese dubExplanation ) for Yuri, Coco (Connie in the Japanese dub) for Constance, B (Balt or Bal in the Japanese dub) for Balthus, Elfie for Aelfric, Didi for Dimitri (Dimi in the Japanese dub), Freckles for Ashe, Linny for Linhardt, Eddy for Edelgard, the Bert for Hubert, Claudester for Claude, and Chatterbox for Byleth.
- One Degree of Separation: Has this with both Dimitri and Edelgard due to being adopted by Cornelia as a child and experimented on. She also met and befriended Patricia, Edelgards mother and Dimitris stepmother, at some point, becoming friends with her.
- Only One Name: She has no surname, likely due to being born in a reclusive village away from civilization.
- The Red Mage: She is a very flexible unit, able to fight physically, magically, or provide healing utlity. Unlike a lot of other Magic Knight in the game, she is well qualified to fit as both a physical unit and a mage, and most of the end game magic classes fit her well.
- Summon Magic: Her sighing allows her to naturally cast summoning spells that bring forth monsters. Unfortunately, they're never under her control and are just as likely to attack her.
- Tarot Motifs: Through her Crest of Timotheos, she represents the Star, which when reversed, represents despair and lack of faith. Hapi is the most cynical of the Ashen Wolves.
- Third-Person Person: Refers to herself in the third person in Japanese.
Constance von Nuvelle
Class: Noble → Monk → Mage → Dark Flier
Age: 18 (3/20)
Crest: Noa (Major)
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Japanese), Kirsten Day (English)
Constance is a member of the Ashen Wolves. She is an aristocrat of House Nuvelle of the Adrestian Empire, which collapsed a few years ago in a conflict. While she now lives in Abyss, she hasn't given up her dream of reviving House Nuvelle.
Her personal ability, Circadian Beat, grants her increased Strength and Magic on maps where there is no sun, and increased Defense and Resistance on maps where the sun is out. She bears the Major Crest of Noa, which gives her a chance of not consuming uses of attack magic.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Her Mood-Swinger quirk of being a borderline Shrinking Violet in the sun imply she suffers something, but the game doesn't go much beyond suggesting its related to her traumatic past.
- An Ice Person: She's one of the few characters who can learn Fimbulvetr.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: A non-villainous example and one that's Played for Laughs. If you chose to S support her, she declares that you now must marry her, as it's the only logical step (in her mind) for you to remain as both her assistant, and also still be able to work wherever the route's ending takes Byleth. As soon as Byleth reveals the ring he was going to use, she loses her cool, though she accepts for romantic reasons in the end.
- Babies Ever After: With Ferdinand in their ending. Its stated that they had many children.
- Big Sister Worship: She adores Mercedes, thinking of her as the big sister she never had.
- BrotherSister Incest: Constance implies her family did this in her support with Edelgard. Unlike most examples, it was to keep their vow to their ancestor Noa, keeping their family's Crest a secret from those who would misuse it. This was a factor in their downfall as it left them with no ties to other houses and thus a lack of allies when Dagda invaded.
- Childhood Friend: Her supports with Jeritza reveal she's one for him to the point she still calls him "Emile" in private, and noticeably is not at all afraid of him. Her supports with Mercedes also reveal she was close to her as well before the latter left House Bartels. Also is one with Ferdinand.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She can marry Jeritza and Ferdinand.
- Classy Cravat: Wears a blue one as part of her outfit after the timeskip.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Downplayed - she's normally pretty aware of what's happening on her, she's just got a one-track mind, being obsessed with magic and restoring her place. In her supports with Yuri, she creates a spell that will turn boots into licorice. Why? So that the act of bootlicking will be more enjoyable. Because she failed to understand that Yuri was using a metaphor and didn't actually literally mean that she should lick people's boots.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Gains these when in sunlight and her personality changes to a Shrinking Violet. Her eyes are even more shadowed than Marianne's.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: She does NOT like to be reminded of what befell her house and despises being given empty platitudes.
- Everyone Has Standards: If she had known about Edelgard being the Flame Emperor, she admits she would have done everything in her power to stop her, even if it stopped her chance at restoring her family. She also has multiple unique dialogues against Edelgard opposing her. This ends up being averted should Constance be recruited to Crimson Flower, as shell have a line of dialogue admitting to forcing information out of Edelgard, which likely lead to her changed viewpoint. Played straight, however, with Constance recruited on other routes.
- Fallen Princess: House Nuvelle fell out of favor in Adestria when it stood alongside the Emperor during the Insurrection of the Seven, with the rebelling houses not taking kindly to their act of loyalty. House Nuvelle was then used as a sacrificial piece during the invasion by Dagda and Brigid, with nearly the entire house save Constance herself dying as a consequence and the other great houses of Adestria declaring their line over as a result, stripping her of the titles, lands, and servants that would have been hers by birthright. It is her goal to rise once more.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning : Along with the non-elemental Sagittae and Agnea's Arrow, she learns Fire, Fimbulvetr, and Bolting, making her one of the most elementally diverse mages.
- Gameplay and Story Integration: If one were to read the text regarding Constance's Circadian Beat ability, they would think this were averted, as it merely states that the ability changes effect depending on whether she is indoors or outdoors whereas in the story it's unobstructed exposure to sunlight that causes the change in her demeanor. In actual gameplay however, the effect is indeed dependent on the weather, and should an outdoor map be cloudy/overcast then Constance will have her indoor personality and indoor stat increases.
- Goal in Life: Restoring her house. All of her supports deal with her attempts to find some way to restore it, or discuss the fallout of it. Her supports with Byleth are mainly about her trying to find some unique magic spell that will allow her to make a name for herself. She accomplishes this in most of her endings either alone or with the assistance of whomever shes paired with.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She has purple highlights and is a refined former noblewoman.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Hapi in their paired ending.
- Impoverished Patrician: As noted above in Fallen Princess. Averting the 'Impoverished' part has become her main goal.
- Ironic Name: Despite being named Constance, her demeanor is the most inconsistent. See Mood-Swinger and Ambiguous Disorder. Others are visible shocked at her rapid and drastic changes in attitude.
- Lady of Black Magic: A haughty former aristocrat with sophisticated speech and behavior. She has Dark Flier as her advanced class, high Magic growth, and rare, powerful spells, making her one of the best offensive magical units in the game. She herself states that House Nuvelle was well-known for consistently producing heads that were scholars of magic.
- Large Ham: Whenever she's not in sunlight, she's very passionate, to Chewing the Scenery levels."Tremble in fear at my magical might! Ahaha!"
- Last of Her Kind: The rest of her family was killed during the war with with Brigid and Dagda which makes her all the more determined to restore her family to its former glory.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: She is the only character out of three that can learn Bolting and not be hampered with issues surrounding itnote .
- Letting Her Hair Down: Grows out her hair loose post time-skip.
- Literal-Minded: In her supports with Yuri, he suggests that she lick the boots of some nobles in order to gain their favor. Constance takes this literally and tries to lick her own boots (discretely, in her room) to try it. She somehow comes to the conclusion that she should create a spell that turns boots into licorice, so that the act of boot-licking will be more palatable.
- Missed Him by That Much: A subdued examples occurs in her supports with Mercedes, who is a childhood friend she hasn't seen since the latter left House Bartels. Constance turns out to have attended the Royal School of Sorcery and graduated the year Mercedes attended, and she expresses dismay had she waited a little longer, she might have reunited with Mercedes far earlier.
- Mood-Swinger: She acts haughty and prideful normally, but for some reason - implied to be childhood trauma in her support with Mercedes, where she was forced to hide so much that it damaged her self-esteem - when exposed to sunlight, she becomes a borderline Shrinking Violet. Her profile has different likes and dislikes depending on what mood she's in, and this is even reflected in her personal ability Circadian Beat, which gives her better offensive stats when indoors, or better defenses outdoors. The Gatekeeper lampshades this in Constance's C support with Balthus, commenting that Constance is usually the one yelling at Balthus rather than the other way around.
- Multicolored Hair: She's mostly blonde, but with inexplicable purple highlights.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: In the Japanese dub she does this.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Her portrait and model change depending on if she's indoors or outdoors, gaining a dark shadow over her eyes in the latter.
- Ojou Ringlets: Has the beginnings of them during the Academy phase, but during the War phase she grows her hair out.
- One Degree of Separation: Outside of being childhood friends with Ferdinand, Jeritza and Mercedes, its stated that she graduated the Fhirdiad Royal School of Sorcery during the year that Mercedes attended. Constance Lampshades this in their support by pointing out how they were so close to reuniting at said school.
- Powerful, but Inaccurate: Constance's spells are very strong, but she has below-average Dexterity, so they have an unfortunate tendency to miss if steps are not taken to compensate for her accuracy.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Unlike the other characters, Constance's Critical Quotes are divided based on her mood as well as by time.."Hahaha!" (Normal)
"Ever so sorry!" (Normal)
"A parting gift!" (Normal)
"Keep yourself prepared?" (Normal)
"Don't make me do this." (Subdued)
"Fate turns against you." (Subdued)
"This brings me no joy." (Subdued)
"This will be over soon." (Subdued)"Respect your betters!" (Normal, post time-skip)
"Hahaha!" (Normal, post time-skip)
"Look upon your doom" (Normal, post time-skip)
"Shall I test your defense?" (Normal, post time-skip)
"Shed no tears." (Subdued, post time-skip)
"As the goddess wills it." (Subdued, post time-skip)
"Fortune is kind." (Subdued, post time-skip)
"Fate turns against you." (Subdued, post time-skip)
- Proper Lady: Acts very proper in both speech and posture, but only while indoors.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Absolutely tears Ferdinand a new one during their supports, ripping apart his concern for her as callous as she knows full well what she suffered and that he never had to endure what she did.
- Shrinking Violet: When in sunlight, Constance's Proper Lady personality changes to this. Her personality would give Marianne a run for her money.
- The Smart Guy: Among the Ashen Wolves. Hapi puts up a bit of a front with her bluntness and Yuri does a lot of planning, but Constance is consistently the Ashen Wolf with the most knowledge and insight. Her connections to Imperial nobility and the fact she takes those connections very seriously allow her to recognize the Death Knight's true identity, however briefly, she is at least somewhat aware of Sothis and the importance behind that name, and she catches onto people quickly - she suspects Aelfric as a blackguard quickly and is only unable to act on that knowledge due to Yuri doing everything he possibly can to throw her off the scent, and even then it's implied by a conversation with her later that all Yuri merely did was cause her to question her conviction on that theory.
- Sole Survivor: She's the last survivor of House Nuvelle after it fell from failing to prevent Dagdan and Brigid forces from making landfall.
- Squishy Wizard: She has a high Magic growth rate, one of the best spell lists in the game, and the Dark Flier class makes her very powerful. However, her Speed growth is very low, and both her Defense and Resistance aren't very good either, so she hits hard but takes a lot of damage if the enemy has the ability to retaliate.
- Tarot Motifs: Through her Crest of Noa, she represents the Hierophant, which represents tradition and spiritual wisdom when upright, but when reversed, represents a change to the status quo. Constance is the last remaining member of House Nuvelle, but she is also dedicated to resurrecting it. However, she shows disdain for the Adrestian Empire due to the role it played in the near-extinction of her family, as her family supported the emperor during the Insurrection.
- This Cannot Be!: If she confronts the Death Knight in the Cindered Shadows DLC, she'll take note of his posture and the way he handles his scythe as if he reminds her of someone she once knew, but immediately dismisses it with these words. This is of course because she knew Emile/Jeritza in their youth.
- True Blue Femininity: Very sophisticated and wears a blue cravat and headband.
- Unskilled, but Strong: A magical version of this. Her Magic stat is very high, tied with Lysithea as the highest in the game, and with her Crest allowing her to potentially save her spell uses, she's one of the strongest magic units in the game, but she has below-average Dexterity and Speed, so her accuracy is not very consistent, and with her Speed being lower, she can often only attack once per turn.
- Wham Line: During the battle against the Umbral Beast, Constance is the only human character to call Sothis the Progenitor God.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her post timeskip outfit has these.