Kara of Rokyn is a Superman fanfiction series written by Dark Mark.
In an Earth which the Crisis on Infinite Earths didn't quite reach, Kara Zor-El has given up her superheroic identity to live as a normal woman among her own kind on Rokyn, the world settled by Kryptonian survivors from Kandor. But she finds that heroism is a hard habit to break, that danger and adventure can be found even on her new homeworld, and that the Supergirl identity isn't that easy to relinquish
Kara of Rokyn's mainline stories are:
- "Kara and the Dreamsmith": Kara enters the Dreaming, resumes her Supergirl identity, and has one chance to help her other-self defeat the Anti-Monitor, or see all perish in the Crisis.
- "The Early Stories": Subset of stories dealing with Kara's career as a wrestler on Rokyn, which she later abandoned to become an actress.
- "Ring of Fury": Supergirl agrees to a no-powers match against an old enemy turned wrestler, and finds it takes more skill than she has to prevail.
- "Rematch on Rokyn": Beaten by her old rival Black Flame, Supergirl returns to Rokyn, the planet colonized by survivors of Krypton, to remake herself as a wrestling warrior and face her foe in a punishing showdown match. (This story takes place just before "Kara and the Dreamsmith".)
- "Tag-Team Terror": Kara and Kal find themselves teamed in the ring against Kara's newest enemy, the deadly Lady Jasmine, and her partner. (This story takes place after "Kara and the Dreamsmith.")
- "Pain and Jasmine": Kara must overcome defeat and depression to make a comeback and forge a new life for herself after her latest encounter with Jasmine. But her arch-rival has struck an alliance with Black Flame that may lead to an evil fate for Supergirl.
- "Zoners": Four villains from the Phantom Zone escape to Rokyn with the intention of conquering the new Kryptonian homeworld. Standing in their path: Kara Zor-El, who must face her old enemy Faora Hu-Ul, the deadliest woman on the planet, who has sworn to kill her.
- "Last Waltz With Luthor": Superman has been missing for a month. So has Lex Luthor. Kara Zor-El must don the costume of Supergirl again and return to Earth to help that planet's heroes find the Man of Steel, in a final showdown between the Luthor family and the House of El.
- "Kal & Lyla": Kara Zor-El begins the task of retelling on screen the greatest love story of Krypton's last days, between the late actress Lyla Lerrol and the time-lost Superman.
Tropes found in this work:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Jara isn't ugly at all, but Kara isnt interested in girls, let alone someone who spent months taunting her publicly.
- Action Film, Quiet Drama Scene: Quiet, slice-of-life scenes where Kara is talking to her parents, grooming her pet cat... are intermingled with life-changing battles where Kara triumphs against overwhelming odds.
- Action Girl: Kara, former super-hero and sometimes female wrestler, Shyla Kor-Onn
- Adult Fear: Zor-El and Allura have to live with the fact that, even though their daughter isn't a hero anymore, she is a wrestler and she still gets -sometimes badly- beaten on a regular basis.Zor-El: No man likes to see his daughter taking a pounding.
- Affectionate Nickname: Kal calls Kara "Karaish".
- All-Loving Hero: Even Jara finds hard to hate Kara after the Girl of Steel talks openly and respectfully of her tribe.
- Alternate Universe: This story's universe diverges from Earth-1's shortly after the JLA-JSA team-up which Supergirl took part in (JLA Volume 1 #231-232).
- Alternate Universe Fic: Set in a timeline where Supergirl moved to Rokyn shortly before the Crisis.
- Another Story for Another Time: When the minions of Lex Luthor are being rounded up, his niece Nasthalthia is nowhere to be found. Kara and Kal suspect they'll find her again someday. But that's "Another tale, another time".Nasthalthia Luthor was not found. She had gone to ground shortly after introducing Lex to the two villainesses, intending to come out if he managed to be successful this time. She stayed undercover, was fired in absentia from her job as vice president of the San Francisco TV station for which Linda Danvers used to work, and, when the authorities learned of her part in the plot, was the benefit of an APB issued to all law enforcement agencies.
But they didnt find her. Kal and Kara both suspected that someday, they would.
Another tale, another time.
- A Shared Suffering: Kal and Kara bonded in the past over the fact that they were survivors of an extinction event as well as orphans.
- Babies Ever After: Lois gets pregnant with twins shortly after getting married to Clark.
- Bad Liar: Jara denies trying to intimidate Kara into sleeping with her, but her inability to stick to her own story means no one believes her.Kara told Hira about the incident the next day. Hira talked to Nar-Es, who talked to Vara, who talked to Jasmine. Jasmine pooh-poohed Kara's version of the facts, asserting first that there had been no incident, then saying Kara had been the one to ask her over and make the advances. Nobody believed her.
- Benevolent Boss: Ar-Rom is kind, fair, patient and incredibly tolerant with Kara's tendence to drop everything suddenly when she is needed back on Earth.
- Berserk Button:
- Never bring up the number of times Lex Luthor lost against Superman, not even if you think Lex cant hear you.
- Jara's Travelling Clan was nearly exterminated in the past. Don't even think of dissing them around her.Zora's eyes blazed. "You're still in love with her? Are you Travelling Clan people as dumb as they say? You want to put this—"
Jasmine sat up straight in bed, her eyes blazing. "What's that about the Clan? You want to repeat that?"
Zora backtracked. "Hold it, hold on, Jara. Really, I'm sorry. I'm not downing the Clan, really, I'm not. That's just part of verbal motivation. I'm trying to get your back up for the match."
"You've just about got it up for me to give you a preview of the match right here. There aren't enough of the Clan left hardly to count anymore, and you want to down them. I ought to pull your tongue out through your nostrils."
- Blackmail Backfire: Jara tries to blackmail Kara into having sex with her. Kara reminds her that such threats may destroy her career.Jara: I warn you, Kara—
Kara: Warn me? One word of this to the commission and they'll yank your license!
- Boldly Coming: Clark and Lois finally get married after the final battle against Lex Luthor, and Lois gets pregnant shortly after.
- Bonding Over Missing Parents: Back when Kara was a teenager, she and her cousin bonded over the fact that they had lost their parents.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: Kara is trained into martial arts by Lady Shiva.
- Broken Bird: Born into a poor family, Jara tried to make some money by starring in erotic films until she managed to join a wrestling circuit. No wonder that she's a bitter, mean-spirited jerkass as well as a dangerous fighter.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Reinforced. Kara wears the S-shield on her wrestling robe even though she's not Supergirl anymore (and in Pre-Crisis continuity, which this story is set in, it's not her family crest).Supergirl entered the wrestling ring in sandals and a robe of gold. The robe bore her proud "S" shield in red on the back.
- Brutal Honesty: Nar to Kara when the latter is deluding herself into believing her motivations for making a movie about her cousins love life are entirely altruistic:Nar: But Kal might exercise an option, Kara. He might cut you out of his life.
Kara: He wont do that.
Nar: You sure?
Kara: Its a gift, Nar. The best gift I think I can give to Kal.
Nar: You sure about that?
Kara: What do you mean?
Nar: What I mean is that it seems more like a gift to yourself. You show your acting chops, you put together a movie thats bound to break the barriers at the box office, you make a lot of money and youve got a triumph. All you have to do to get it is break Kal-Els heart.
Kara: I can always count on you for the truth, Nar. Or a truth I dont want to face.
- Bullying a Dragon:
- After the Crisis, the Hellsister Trilogy's Superman decides enough is enough. He makes an unofficial visit to Lex Luthor's cell to tell his arch-nemesis his antics would no longer be tolerated. Luthor laughs at him, and Superman proceeds to beat the crap out of his old nemesis.
- Lex first realized what kind of being he'd chosen to antagonize with when Superboy tossed a meteor back into orbit.Nasthalthia: But he had the beaker the antidote had been in in his hand, and he was waving it around in front of Superboy. Just kinda to tease him. Superboy just sucked in with what was left of his super-breath, and busted the thing all over his mouth and got the last drops of it. He got up, shoved Lex back, grabbed the meteor and went outside with it. Lex looked out his window and saw him haul off and throw that thing. It had to have weighed over a hundred pounds. And it didn't come down. That's when Lex really started to realize what he'd been tangling with, because it didn't come down.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Kara yearned for a peaceful, normal life, so she abandoned her Supergirl identity and moved to Rokyn. Then she found out the hard way that her and her cousin's Rogues didn't intend to leave her alone.
- Cat Fight: Sometimes, Kara and her rival wrestlers resort to biting, scratching and hair-pulling.When she faced Kara, Jasmine was all business. I'm gonna knock you outta your panties, babe, she snarled as they circled.
Glad somebody reminded you to wear yours, retorted Kara. That got to Jas. They closed and started pulling hair.
The catfight tactics turned the audience on, and the howls and foot-stomping were never higher. The girls rolled around on the mat, Jasmine trying to bite and scratch. Kara elbowed her hard under the chin. Jasmine fell back, grabbing at the place where she'd been hit.
- Clones Are People, Too: Kara's clone Linda is definitely her own person with her own personality and life goals, and she is treated like such by Kara and her parents, who take Linda in and treat her as their second daughter.
- Complexity Addiction: During their climatic final fight, Luthor bitterly ponders he had over one month to kill Superman quickly instead of dumping him in a pod and syphoning his power off.He kicked out angrily at Superman, dislodging him, and damned himself for not killing him during the month and days he had him helpless, damned himself for trying to eke the last bit of power from his body for its usefulness.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Subverted. Zora claims her disses and slurs aimed at Jara are intended to push her beyond her limits, but in reality she just despises her partner.Zora: You're still in love with her? Are you Travelling Clan people as dumb as they say? You want to put this—
Jara: What's that about the Clan? You want to repeat that?
Zora: Hold it, hold on, Jara. Really, I'm sorry. I'm not downing the Clan, really, I'm not. That's just part of verbal motivation. I'm trying to get your back up for the match.
Jara: You've just about got it up for me to give you a preview of the match right here. There aren't enough of the Clan left hardly to count anymore, and you want to down them. I ought to pull your tongue out through your nostrils.
Zora: Jara. Don't you remember how I talked to you when we were sparring? And didn't that work, to get you going?
Jara: It sure did. You said if I couldn't do better than that, I might as well go back to making a living on my back. I damned near pulled your arm off for that one.
Zora: Exactly! I had to say something like that to get you mad. Without the rage, you don't have a chance against her. Put it together, Jara.
- Curse Cut Short: Jara barely stops herself from calling Kara a bitch in public.Jara: This belt is now in the hands of its rightful owner. It never really belonged to that— to her.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Jara's threats when Black Flame insults her tribe are
creative.Jara: You've just about got it up for me to give you a preview of the match right here. There aren't enough of the Clan left hardly to count anymore, and you want to down them. I ought to pull your tongue out through your nostrils.
- Dark Action Girl: Faora Hur-Ul is the most lethal Kryptonian woman alive. In addition to her Kryptonian powerset she is a powerful martial artist as well as a telepath and fulgurkinetic.
- Death Glare:
- Jara hurls an absolutely murderous glare at Kara after being rejected.The woman looked at Kara with the air of a butcher wondering which part of a carcass to start on.
- Clark to his cousin when he finds out she has made a movie about his and Lyla's relationship without his consent.Kal fixed her with a look of absolute winter. Then he turned towards the hologram.
- Jara hurls an absolutely murderous glare at Kara after being rejected.
- Defeat Means Friendship:
- After defeating Jara for good, Kara begins to build a tentative friendship with her ex-rival wrestler.
- Shyla Kor-Onn, who used to be her enemy, becomes Supergirls ally.
- Determinator: Superman endured Parasite's power drain for one whole month.Superman: Its been... so long in there.
Supergirl: I know. I cant imagine... Great Rao, Kal. How did you survive?
Superman: Im still not sure. I just... didnt want to give up. Luthor was out there. I had to survive so that I could stop him. But... that wasnt all of it. There were people like Lois out there. And Jimmy, Bruce, Perry... all my friends. And you. Even though you were half a galaxy away. I knew Id never see you again, if I gave up and died. But there was more to it than that. Im Superman, Kara. And if I made a habit of giving up... well, I wouldnt be much of a Superman, would I?
- Domestic Abuse:
- Parasite abused one of his girlfriends in the past.<I've seen your record, Max. You slapped one around pretty badly one time. Got hauled into court, paid a fine, got a restraining order put on you, violated it, and went to jail for a few weeks.>
- Not only does Zora put Jara down constantly, but she also takes advantage of her loneliness to emotionally blackmail her into murder.
- Parasite abused one of his girlfriends in the past.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Averted. Superman makes very clear that abuse is never okay, no matter who or what the perpetrator may be.<Geez, tough times. I never had that problem with my women.>
<I've seen your record, Max. You slapped one around pretty badly one time. Got hauled into court, paid a fine, got a restraining order put on you, violated it, and went to jail for a few weeks.>
<Well, yeah, there was that one.>
<Well, she deserved it. She—>
<Max. Women never deserve anything like that. Neither do men. Do you understand?>
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Averted when rival female wrestler Jara tries to intimidate Kara into having sex with her, ensuring Kara would never want anything to do with her and all but destroying her own wrestling career.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: When Earth-Two Superman is told Supergirls life was spared thanks to his death he smiles broadly. Being perfectly okay with both dying in Karas place and Lois outliving him, he follows Death with no regrets.
- Entertainingly Wrong: After hearing about Clark Kents strange habit of going to the restroom just before a newscast, a detective investigating his disappearance wonders if Kent might be doing drugs. Understandable mistake since he can't know Clark needs to change into Superman.
- Equivalent Exchange: In order to save Supergirl, Dream convinces Death to take Earth-Two Superman instead."I said, the woman will not be taken." There was real menace in his voice. "She is under my protection. To touch her, sister, you must touch me first."
The girl swore.
"All right, all right. You know the rules. Somebody else has to go. Who?"
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Subverted. Lex Luthor used to love his family, but after so many years obsessed with killing Superman he can only to hate those who arent automatically on his side.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Nasthalthia Luthor believes Supergirl saved her uncle's life once upon a time because she is a stupid, little miss goody two-shoes, when the truth is that she didn't want Lex to escape his life imprisonment via a quick death.
- Evil Is Cool: Jara is a "heel" because she likes going wild on her adversaries, to her audiences delight.Jasmine stood up, smiled, and preened herself for the crowd. There were boos, but, satisfyingly, a few cheers. Lots of guys like to see the heroines take a beating, she reflected, and that's what I'm here for.
- Facial Markings: Kara's cat White Star has a star-shaped mark between his eyes.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Jara Vor-Tonn's Travelling Clan are a Kryptonian nomadic ethnic group who faced discrimination and persecution in the past, not unlike real life Jewish or Romani.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: Kara, Kal and several more characters have this power.Hal Jordan's Power Ring allows interstellar travel between Rokyn and Earth without being bothered by Rokyn's spaceport's customs officers.
- Fix Fic: After the events of "Kara and the Dreamsmith", the Pre-Crisis Earths still continue to exist together with the Post-Crisis universe.
- For Want of a Nail: Dark Mark's DC Fan Verse gets started when the original Supergirl moves out of the planet after the events of Justice League of America #231-232, giving birth to this split timeline. Dream of the Endless then gets her to interfere with the Crisis Of Infinite Earths'' and save The Multiverse, creating several more different timelines.
- Freudian Excuse: Lex Luthor sees himself as the victim of an alien who betrayed him and ruined his life when they were teenagers, leading to being branded as a criminal and his father kicking him out.
- Get Out!: Kara's reaction when Jara slips in a dressing room to seduce her."I don't believe in subtlety, Kara," purred Jasmine. "I go after what I want. And I've wanted you ever since I saw you fight. What about it?" She doffed her robe, letting it drop to the floor behind her, and stood naked before the blonde. "Want a little new experience? I won't tell."
Kara finally found her voice. "Get out."
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: As watching Kara and Jara sparring, Van-Ol ponders the sight is... interesting.To see her pitting her strength and skills against another woman, both of them clad only in bikinis, was, he had to admit... stimulating.
- Good Is Boring: Nasthalthia is a villain because she finds honest life incredibly boring.Nasthalthia: I guess I got a little of what Lex was infected with, genetically. Not any of the science stuff, but— You know how straights are, and how straight life is. Soooo boring. I found out about guys, cycles, drugs, and privilege in short order. Got off drugs. Got myself a real cycle gang while I was in college, Nasty's Nasties. Dad n' Mom didn't approve, but I didn't give a damn as long as they kept the money coming. Then they cut it off.
- Good Parents: Zor-El and Alura do their best to support their daughter.Zor-El: No man likes to see his daughter taking a pounding. Even though Kara's done her fair share of pounding, and more, I assure you. But I've come to accept it, and she needs our support. So she's got it, from myself and Allura. And we'll be there for her next match— and as many as we can make afterward.
- Go Through Me: During "Kara and the Dreamsmith", Dream stands between Death and Kara and warns her sister will have to go through him. Both of them know Death can easily do so, but she doesn't want to, and she indeed relents.Dream: I said, the woman will not be taken. She is under my protection. To touch her, sister, you must touch me first.
- The Greatest Story Never Told: Kara helps to save her mainstream counterpart as well as the Multiverse during the Crisis, ensuring the survival of realities where she doesn't get killed, Barbara Gordon doesn't get shot through her spine, Hal Jordan doesn't go nuts... but no one will ever know about it. Not even her, because the memory of events is erased from her mind right afterwards.
- Groin Attack: Jara uses this tactic on Kara during a tag-team match.Unwinding her legs, Jasmine pulled Kara up, her hands under the blonde's chin, and extended one knee, then dropped Kara so that her crotch contacted Jasmine's knee. A horrible groan sprang from her lips at the impact. Supergirl clutched herself as she writhed on the mat.
- Guns Are Worthless: Kara can be killed off by any firearm while on Kandor. When on Earth, though Lex Luthor manages to transfer Superman's powers to Starfire and Cyber, and its stated that thermonuclear weapons would not even scratch them.
- Happy Ending Massage: Kara gets one from Van-Ol after she finally has a talk with her cousin over her movie.
- Healing Hands: Raven cures Supergirls life-threatening injuries resulting from her battle against the Anti-Monitor by laying her hands upon her.
- HeelFace Turn:
- Jara whose wrestling person, "Lady Jasmine", is an actual heel- turns on Blackflame after getting defeated by Kara.
- Shyla Kor-Onn used to be Supergirl's enemy. Here, she allies herself with Kara during "Last Waltz with Luthor".
- Parasite isn't feeling overly loyal after getting manipulated by Luthor, so he takes Superman up on his offer to get his normal body back in exchange for reforming.
- Heroes Love Dogs: As narrating the Superboy/Lex feud, Nasthalthia states Superboy forgave Lex's attempts on his life until his ex-friend involved Krypto.Nasthalthia: Okay. So Lex and Superboy were enemies, now. Lex wasn't in trouble with the law yet, but that wouldn't take long. Lex tried to kill Blue Boy and his stupid dog with some living-Kryptonite thingies he'd created, and got close as dammit to doing it. It took one of those Legion kids to save Supes's backside in that one.
Starfire: Did he take Lex to jail after that?
Nasthalia: No. Believe it or not, he was still willing to give Lex another chance. He just wrecked his equipment and gave him a warning. It was more like, 'Three strikes and you're out.' But Lex was never much into baseball. So he pulled another job, when that Robin kid was visiting from the future. That was the third strike. After that, Superboy up and took him to jail, pushed charges against him, and got him sentenced to reform school. I guess it was a bad idea for Lex to involve the dog in that Kryptonite caper. The kid liked that dog.
- Heroic BSoD: Kara plunges into depression after getting trounced by Jasmine. She locks herself in her apartment and shuts everyone out until her parents get through to her.
- Heroic Willpower: Superman endures Parasite's life-drain for over one month. Parasite wonders how Kal-El can be still alive.
- Holding Hands: Clark and Lois hold hands after Superman has been saved from Lex's trap.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Lex Luthor's young nephew Val Colby stops his uncle's heart telekinetically in order to save Superman's life as well as other people's. Supergirl is the only who knows, but since she thinks the clearly remorseful boy had no choice, she decides to keep quiet if Val promises to not use his powers to kill again.Kara: Val, the act of killing is the gravest act of man. Both on Krypton, and on Earth. Once upon a time, Lex died, and I brought him back to life. This time... I didn't do it. So we both have something to bear away from this one. We both have each others secret. Your action was basically justified. You kept him from killing Kal and Ardora. Maybe he would have killed you and Lena afterward. Theres no telling. If a cop had come in there with a gun, he probably would have used it on Lex, as well. He might have had to yell 'Freeze!' beforehand, and hed have to face a review board afterward. But Lex was about to commit murder again. Hed already done it once, today. And you— saw it. So you did what you had to do. You reached out with that PK power and stopped his heart. Lex Luthor is dead, now, and neither Kal nor I are responsible, except maybe in a secondary way. As I say, Val, you did what you had to do.
- I Know Karate: Kara is quite extensively trained by Lady Shiva.
- Incompatible Orientation: Jara (lesbian) likes Kara (straight). She doesn't take rejection well at all, but at the end she accepts the fact that they can only be friends.
- In Spite of a Nail: Parodied. Although the Crisis is averted and the subsequent multiversal upheaval affects the Watchmen Earth deeply, some deaths were impossible to prevent. Like John Lennon's: "The Comedian died, as did the original Nite Owl. So did John Lennon. Nobody could do anything about those."
- Interspecies Adoption: Kara was adopted and raised by human parents: Fred and Edna Danvers. Later on, they also adopt her clone.
- Interspecies Romance: Clark Kent (Kryptonian) and Lois Lane (human) get married after the final battle between Superman and Lex Luthor. At the end of the fic, they are expecting a baby.
- Jaw Drop: Kara's reaction when she bumps into a scantily-clad Jara.Kara entered the dressing room, and found that she was not alone.
Jasmine was there, clad only in a short robe. She was looking straight at Kara.
Kara Zor-El dropped her towel and her jaw at the same time.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Blackflame, who has always been a manipulative jerkass, befriends Jara and claims to be trying to help her become a best wrestler, but it's soon made clear she is trying to manipulate her into killing Kara.
- Joker Immunity: Discussed and subverted in Last Waltz with Luthor. After Luthor's latest plan has almost succeeded in killing Superman and taking over the world, Lois complains that he'll be thrown into a cell, which he will break out of time whenever he wants, and then he will start the cycle over again. Then she is told Luthor has passed away.Lois: And all that'll happen to him is that he'll go back to jail.
Lois: All that'll happen, after all this, almost killing you a hundred times, almost conquering the world, is that he'll go back to a nice, comfortable cell that he can break out of, anytime he wants, and
Superman: Lois. Lex Luthor won't be going anywhere.
Lois: What? What are you saying?
Superman: Lex and I, we've done a strange dance for thirty years or so. I'm not sure who was leading, most of the time. We always wondered how long the dance would last. Now, I know. Lex Luthor and I... we've just had our last waltz, Lois.
- Karma Houdini: Nasthalthia, who bullied and schemed against Supergirl repeatedly when they were in their early twenties, and aided her uncle Lexs final scheme, gets away scot free.
- Kayfabe: Played with. Jara is obviously not evil but a heel that plays an act, but her real person is pretty mean-spirited.
- Killed Off for Real: Lex Luthor dies of a heart attack. Kara believes she is capable of bringing him back to life, but she decides against it.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: No matter how much Kara has changed since her permanent move, her love for cats remains constant.A little orange cat looked out at her. He had a white star-like mark between his eyes.
"We always knew how you liked cats, dear," said Allura. "It isn't good for you to be so alone. He isn't Streaky, but he should do."
Kara smiled. Streaky was off someplace, or dead. She hadn't seen him in years. But Mom was right, she did love cats. She unhooked the cage door and let the cat curl up in her arms.
"Hey, White Star," she said, cuddling it to her shoulder. "How you doing? Do you like me?" The cat nuzzled its head against her shoulder and purred. He knew how to con a good meal with the best of them.
- Kissing Cousins:
- Averted. Playing love scenes with Kara disturbs Van-Zee, although Kara reassures him she isn't on incest.
- Alluded when Kara tells her family about her cousin's first crush on a girl nicknamed "Supergirl" (Lucy of Borgonia), but she avoids mentioning Kal complaining about inter-cousin marriage not being legal.Kara Zor-El said, "Would you believe that Kal once told me that one of the first girls he ever fell for in his life was named Supergirl?"
The others at the dinner party reacted with shock, laughter, surprise, disbelief, curiosity, amusement, or a combination of the above.
"How's this, Kara?" asked Van-Zee, cautiously. "You don't mean he fell for you, do you?"
She smiled an I-know-something-you-don't smile at him.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Killing Kara is one of the few things that might make Superman drop his "No Killing" rule.Superman: That crazy Lex Luthor, if he really had hurt you, I don't know if I could keep that oath about not harming anybody.
- Lack of Empathy: Lex Luthor has become utterly incapable of understanding or caring for other people after decades spent hating Superman. Whoever isn't on his side simply deserves to die, and he refuses to admit it's him who has systematically pushed everybody away.
- Last-Second Chance: Superman offers Parasite help him be normal again if he reforms. Parasite actually considers and ends taking up his offer.<I can't even get close to a woman without her running away now, Supes. They don't dig the tall, strong, and purple type. If I bought and paid for one, I might suck the life out of her while we were together. You understand?>
<Perhaps, Max. And perhaps you'd be better if we could find a cure for your condition.>
<Yeah, well, I'll settle for getting back my old bod, if and when. If and when.>
<So why did you throw in with Luthor?>
<Because he offered me a good deal. Said he'd get rid of you forever, and kick in a lotta dough at the same time. My two primary motivations.>
<If we got you your body back, Max, and if we removed your Parasite powers, would you reform? Would you even consider it?>
More hesitation. Then, <I don't know.>
- Lots of Luggage: Kara has to head back to Earth to help search her disappeared cousin, so she takes over 100 pounds of clothes with her.She had two fairly bulky suitcases in her hands and didn't want to set them down yet, even if Hal had negated their weight to make them liftable. One of them held over 100 pounds of clothes.
- Love Confession: At the end of "Last Waltz with Luthor", Kara confesses to Van-Ol:Van: So. You want to go over these lines again, and see if you get em right? Or do you feel like playing script doctor again?
Kara: What would you think of me if you knew that youre wearing the soul Ive been looking for all my life to find?
Van: Oh, come on, KZ. That is not in my script. Thats Lylas line from Scarlet Song.
Kara: I know. But what was the line her leading man gave her after that?
Van: Id say that one of us is probably crazier than the other. But Im not sure which.
Kara: (smiling) Yeah.
Van: Uh, KZ. I dont know... that is, Im not sure...
Kara: Dont get your hopes up too much yet, VO. But I think I like you, too.
Van: You mean, you know I li
Kara: Women can tell, Van.
Van: Stop finishing my sentences.
Kara: (kissing him) Who wants to talk?
Van: Holy sun and Mother Moon. Fade to black.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: The final scene has Kara and her boyfriend Van-Ol spend the night fooling around on a beach.
- Manipulative Bastard: Zora Vi-Lar seduces female wrestler Jara, who had just been turned down by Kara Zor-El, and preys on her resentment and fear to loneliness in hopes of driving her to beat Kara to death.
- Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex: Subverted. Clark and Lois are able to have sex safely, but when Lois gets pregnant Superman still has to devise something so she doesn't get killed by the baby.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Luthor tricked Parasite into working for him and then turned him into a pile of goo stuck to Superman. As a result of it, Parasite has no qualms about turning against Luthor.
- Mr. Exposition: Being a Luthor herself who has clashed with one of the Super-cousins in the past, Nasthalthia is the perfect person to narrate the History of the Superman/Lex Luthor feud.
- MookFace Turn: Parasite turns on Luthor when the latters anti-Superman plan almost gets him killed.
- Murder by Inaction: Subverted in what it happens after the villain has passed away. After Lex Luthor has just died, Supergirl recalls she managed to bring him back once. For a brief second she considers to attempt to relive him
and then she decides against it. Luthor already got, and utterly squandered, his second chance.She turned and flew to the tube chamber, to begin releasing the superheroes from their imprisonment. As she did, her mind flashed back to another time, in which Luthor had died by accident and she brought him back to life with a device built along Kryptonian lines.
It might be possible to restore his life in the next two minutes, if she could manage to put such a thing together again. There was probably enough stuff in Luthors labs from which she could cannibalize it.
He had almost killed Kal, this time. He had come very near to killing him with Virus X, another time. And there weregreat Rao, there were so many other times when he had tried to kill her cousin, or even her, and had gotten too close to that goal all too often.
She also remembered Kal saying that Luthor just periodically had to break jail so he could destroy something, anything.
There were only so many times mercy could be shown.
Sometimes, it was a greater mercy to withhold it.
With an unpleasant chill in her heart, Supergirl began tearing the metallic tubes open.
- Mythology Gag:
- Kara references her cousin's meeting with Lucy of Borgonia (Superboy Volume 1 issue #4) and her attempted matchmaking (Action Comics #289).
- Clark can't believe yet he finally got married to Lois.Kara smiled. "Not a dream, robot, hoax, or imaginary story, Clark. Its for real."
- Helen Slater makes a brief cameo. It appears that Supergirl was a successful movie in this universe.
- Never My Fault: As Nasthaltia tells the origin of the feud between Superboy and Lex, it soon becomes obvious that Lex always came up with absurd rationalizations to blame Superman for his own actions."Lex got to thinking that maybe he was a lamebrain for leaving that door open and not looking after Lena any better than he had. But when he thought harder, he said, he thought Superboy was a lamebrain himself for giving him that alien thing, even after he'd asked him to. He thought Superboy should have had better sense than that. What can I say?"
Starfire thought she might say that her cousin was a guilt-transferring jerk, but she kept her peace.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Luthor finds a way to transfer Superman's powers to Starfire and Cyber, making both women able to tank nukes."Quite right. We could hit those women with thermonuclear missiles. So could you. But if their powers really are on a level with Superman's, we wouldn't be doing much more than throwing beer cans at them."
- No-Sell: Invoked when Reagan and Gorbachev discuss how to deal with the two villainesses who have stolen Superman's powers.We could hit those women with themonuclear missiles. So could you. But if their powers really are on a level with Superman's, we wouldn't be doing much more than throwing beer cans at them.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Jara mercilessly beats Kara up during a match after being turned down by her.
- No Social Skills: Superman. Both Kal and Kara note several times that most of his personal problems stem from his inability to open up to and empathize with someone on a personal level. Helping total strangers, he can and will do. Being honest with his civilian friends, baring his soul to his life's love or reaching his cousin out, he cannot do.
- Not Good with Rejection: Jara, a rival wrestler, hit on Kara figuratively. When Kara turned her down, Jara wanted to hit her literally.
- Oblivious to Love: Subverted. Van-Ol believes Kara is oblivious to his feelings, but Kara was aware of them because "women can tell".
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Supergirl and Green Lantern need to head off to Earth, but the emigration officer will not let them leave Rokyn because Hal needs an official authorization. So what if they need to save Superman? Hal has no travel permit, and that's it.Green Lantern was being hassled at the War Port entrance by the emigration officer. "I'm sorry, sir, but you need official authorization to use the Port to Earth," said the man, a balding, mustached type in a brown outfit. "We just can't authorize passage to non-K worlds without it."
Hal had dealt with planetary bureaucrats before. He held up his ring hand and let the power ring display an aura of green energy. "This is my authorization, officer. I'm a deputized member of the Green Lanterns of the Universe. My authority comes from the Guardians, and I am recognized on every world in my space-sector, which is 2814. And I am a native of Earth."
Kara, behind him, said, "I'll vouch for him, tanth. We both need to get to Earth. It's very important. It involves Superman."
The officer was standing fast, blocking the passageway to the teleportation device a hundred yards distant. Armed guards were on hand, and so was an attendant, and none of them looked like they wanted to be there.
Nonetheless, the officer had just been promoted a few months ago, and he was going to live up to his responsibility. That was the lesson his mother had drummed into him, and by the sun he was going to exercise it.
"It well may involve Tanth El, Tynth Zor-El," said the officer. "But until the gentleman before me produces some government documents, I cannot allow him to port to Earth. You may do so, however, with my blessings."
"This is ridiculous," said Kara. "What's your name, officer? I want to mention it to the Drygur Moliom next time I talk to him." She had two fairly bulky suitcases in her hands and didn't want to set them down yet, even if Hal had negated their weight to make them liftable. One of them held over 100 pounds of clothes.
"You may do so, Tynth Zor-El," he said. "My name is Di-Marr. You may obtain my address from the Central Directory. But unless the Drygur himself authorizes it, I may not allow the gentleman to use the Port. Now, please either both of you leave, or let the Lantern leave and you, tynth, use the Port. But as it is, we're holding up traffic."
- Official Couple: Nas-Er and Hira -Kara's manager and personal trainer, respectively- end up tying the knot.
- Official Kiss: Between Kara Zor-El and Van-Ol after her love confession in the end of "Last Waltz With Luthor".
- Oh My Gods!: Utterances such like "Oh, Rao" and "Father Sun and Mother Moon" are everyday Rokynian swears.
- Orcus on His Throne: Lex Luthor stands out of the way for most of the story while his minions fight the heroes for him.
- Parental Substitute: Kal used to be like a father to Kara.Supergirl: From my fifteenth year on up to... somewhen... Kal was like a parent. Or he thought he was. Ive told him about this, probably havent told you. Sheol, back then I needed a parent, or a big brother, or whatever. I thought my mom and dad were dead, and I hadnt been adopted. I cried, Nar. Cried a lot. But Kal was always there for me, always buoying me up, always guiding me on a path he thought was best for me.
- Passing the Torch: Subverted. Superman expected Supergirl to take over eventually, but she grew tired of hero's life.
- People Jars: Superman is kept by Lex Luthor inside a vat full with Parasite's shapeless body.
- Power Parasite: Lex Luthor exploits Parasite's ability to drain Superman's powers and transfer them to his minions, Starfire and Cyber.
- The Power of Hate: Hatred is the only thing has kept Lex going on through decades of defeats and humiliations. He hates Superman, loathes his cousin and will not let him "win".
- The Power of the Sun: Yellow sunlight powers Kara and her cousin when on Earth.
- Power-Up Food: Captain Strong eats alien seaweed Sauncha to get super-strong. It also makes him crazy.
- Privileged Rival: Kara to Jara. Kara is high-born and their world's mightiest and most popular hero. Jara is low-born and takes their rivalry very personally, despite Kara insisting she isn't her enemy.
- Psychic Link: Superman and Parasite develop one during their time "together".
- Psycho Supporter: Cyber and Starfire are two nutjobs who believe Lex Luthor is some kind of misunderstood and mistreated genius and do his bidding slavishly.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Jara was an abusive jerkass who beat up and humiliated Kara because the young heroine wouldn't sleep with her. Eventually Jara loses a wrestling match to Kara and decides to turn over a new leaf and become a better person. She is forgiven by her ex-rival but not by her family and friends, who don't want her anywhere near from Kara.
- Retired Badass: Kara moves to Rokyn in order to lead a normal life. Unfortunately, danger and fights are determined to find her, no matter what.
- The Rival: Kara and Jasmine during the former's wrestling career. Jasmine wants to prove she's stronger and pay Kara back for turning her down. Kara wants to beat Jasmine so she can get on with her life and change her career.
- Rogues Gallery: Lampshaded by Superman himself:Superman: I'd been operating in public, man and boy, for over ten years when you popped out of that rocket in that blue-and-red outfit. I'd made so many enemies I couldn't even count 'em on a computer. And every one of 'em was trying to find a sure-fire way to kill me. A lot of 'em got really close.
- Rule of Three: In the second main story, Lex Luthor is aided by three female villains: his niece Nasthalthia, old Supergirl enemy Starfire -nothing to do with Teen Titan Starfire- and Wonder Woman villain Cyber.
- Sacrificial Lion: Death of the Endless takes Kal-L's soul to spare Supergirls life. Although he wasn't asked beforehand, the original Superman is perfectly right with it.
- Screw Destiny: Dream of the Endless prevents his future demise by averting Supergirl's fate of dying in the Crisis.
- Second Love: Van-Ol is this for Kara, who formerly was in a relationship with Brainiac 5.
- Secret Secret-Keeper:
- Kara is certain that Van-Zee and Ak-Var are the heroes Nightwing and Flamebird, but she keeps her suspicions to herself:"Kids," said Van, and both subsided for the moment. Kara studied his jaw for a second. She was pretty sure that he was Nightwing, the Batman of Kandor, and that his friend Ak-Var, who was married to Van's niece, was Flamebird. Both of them had helped bring down the Zoners in her last adventure. But she'd had a secret identity, too, and there was one cardinal rule among super-heroes: don't pry.
- Both Lois and Jimmy figured out Superman's secret identity at some point, but they chose to not let on.
- Kara is certain that Van-Zee and Ak-Var are the heroes Nightwing and Flamebird, but she keeps her suspicions to herself:
- Shout-Out: At one point, Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev debate over Lex Luthors latest scheme.
- So Proud of You: Said by Kal to his younger cousin before her final duel with Jasmine.Superman: Prayers and luck accompany you back home. Show Jasmine what it's like to go up against the brand- new Kara! We both know that you've got what it takes... and you should know I'm very proud of you.
- Sore Loser:
- Blackflame can't stand to lose.
- The whole Kara/Jara grudge got started only because Kara beat Jara during a no-stakes preliminary match.
- Stunned Silence: When Kara walks into a dressing room and bumps into her scantily-clad rival wrestler, fully intent on seducing her, her jaw drops and she needs several seconds to find her voice.
- Superheroes in Space: Supergirl moves her base of operations to planet Rokyn.
- Take That!:
- In "Kara and the Dreamsmith", Dream of the Endless sets in motion a plan to save The Multiverse -and prevent his own demise- by altering the outcome of the Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Anti-Monitor got killed off, Dream's sister Death claimed the Superman of Earth-Two instead of the Supergirl of Earth-One and all infinite worlds continued to exist
including a particularly awful reality.There was, of course, another reality in which terrible things happened. In that realm, Kara Zor-El never existed. Barbara Gordon was shot in the spine by the Joker, and lost the use of her legs. The Joker went on to beat the second Robin with a pipe, and then blow him and his mother up with a bomb. The Batman would have his back broken by a hulking villain, have to be replaced for a time, and then have his spine reconstructed so that he, impossibly enough, could go back to crime-fighting. Nightwing's and Starfire's wedding would be polluted by a Raven gone demonic. The noblest Green Lantern, Hal Jordan, would go crazy and kill his best friends, try to take on a role like unto that of the Anti-Monitor, and mold his Truth's destiny into a different shape. Superman would die, and not be taken by Death, and would return to life. Millions of others, in Coast City, were not so lucky.
And the Dreamsmith of that realm died, too.
- Theres a "Take That!" aimed at the fan misconception that Pre-Crisis Lex Luthor hated Superman because of his alopecia:Starfire: So your cousin essentially wanted to conquer the world, and kill Superman, and kept at it all these years, just because he lost his hair?
Nastalthia: It's not just that. It's losing that early life-form he made, too, but it's not just that. I think it's like... scratch that, I know what it is. It's a competition. Lex is showing that he's as great as the most powerful guy on Earth, and he's doing it just with the power of his mind. But there's more to it, now, even than that. Want me to go on?"
- A subtle one to The '80s style headband which Supergirl started wearing at the movie's makers' request.She also wore a version of her old Supergirl outfit, blue skirt and all. The headband from her last outfit had been abandoned long ago. It might have been intended as an equality statement, since men were traditionally only headband wearers, but after a while she just thought it looked stupid.
- In "Kara and the Dreamsmith", Dream of the Endless sets in motion a plan to save The Multiverse -and prevent his own demise- by altering the outcome of the Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Anti-Monitor got killed off, Dream's sister Death claimed the Superman of Earth-Two instead of the Supergirl of Earth-One and all infinite worlds continued to exist including a particularly awful reality.
- Talking in Bed: Kara and Van-Ol have several bedsheet talks during the production of "Kal and Lyla", usually discussing Kal-El's probable mindset.
- Tears of Remorse: Val Colby cries after being forced to kill his uncle Lex to save a lot of people, including Superman.He began to cry. "I didnt wanna kill him."
"I know," she said. "I dont think you had any choice. You did the best thing you could, given the circumstances. Does it make you feel bad?"
He nodded, the tears running down his face.
- Terraform: Efforts to make Rokyn inhabitable are progressing neatly. Kandor has expanded, more cities are being built and there're large tracts of cultivable land being farmed.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Blackflame does her best to talk Jara into killing Kara. Still yet Jara doesn't want to, out of personal reasons (she's not a killer) and practical ones (she doesnt want to kill her career together with Kara)Jara: I want to fight her, sure. I wouldn't mind even sending her to the med-center for a few days. But I'm a wrestler, not a killer, Zora. If I really hurt her, there goes my license and a shot at the movies.
- Thrown Down a Well: After her final stunt, Blackflame is arrested and banished to the Phantom Zone forever.
- Title Drop: In the chapter seventeenth of "Last Waltz with Luthor":Superman: Lex and I, weve done a strange dance for thirty years or so. Im not sure who was leading, most of the time. We always wondered how long the dance would last. Now, I know. Lex Luthor and I... weve just had our last waltz, Lois.
- Took a Level in Badass: Kara undergoes several training courses to hone and refine her fighting skills.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Jara starts off as a mean-spirited jerkass driven by jealousy and bitterness, and later becomes a calmer, friendlier person who is able to be friends with Kara instead of hating her for turning her down.
- Tranquil Fury: Jasmine gives Kara the choice of sleeping with her or getting brutalized during their upcoming match. When the Maid of Might tells her to get out, Jasmine states in a scarily quiet, matter-of-factly tone that Kara'll regret her choice before leaving.The woman looked at Kara with the air of a butcher wondering which part of a carcass to start on. Then she turned, stooped, and picked her robe off the floor tiles. She slid it back on, did up the sash, and then looked up.
"You will regret this day," said Jasmine, without due emphasis.
Kara found that the scariest part of their encounter.
- Trespassing to Talk: At one point, Kara enters a dressing room and finds Jara has slipped in to seduce her.Kara entered the dressing room, and found that she was not alone.
Jasmine was there, clad only in a short robe. She was looking straight at Kara.
- Uncertain Doom: Barry Allen disappears during the Crisis, and nobody knows whether he died or survived by time-travelling to the far future.
- Underestimating Badassery: Superman can hardly believe it when he hears his cousin has defeated Faora Hu-Ul.
- Ungrateful Bastard: As narrating the history of the Superman/Luthor's enmity, Nasthalthia reveals Supergirl brought Lex back to life, which resulted in Lex hating her too. Dr. Cyber muses Wonder Woman might do the same thing for her... but the Amazon better doesn't hope to be shown gratitude.Nasthalthia: He met Supergirl for the first time when he got killed, believe it or not. Lex was being chased by her after a job, and tried to hit her with a death-ray that had Kryptonite in it. Only thing was, he was trying to drive at the same time, went off the road, and hit himself with his own ray. And he died.
Nasthalthia: Clinically dead, yes. But Supergirl, out of the goodness of her widdle heart, went off and came back with some kind of radiation cocoon that brought Lex back to life. As soon as he woke up, he showed her his gratitude by grabbing a tommy gun from one of the cops and opening up on her. She shrugged off the bullets like they were jelly beans. I honestly think he hated her for bringing him back. When he was dead, he didn't have to worry about beating his head against a wall called Superman anymore. Now that he was alive again, he had to go ahead and try and kill Supes again and again, and he'd have to do something about Blondie, too. Plus the fact that it was Supes's cousin that'd brought him back to life. That really, really rankled him.
Dr. Cyber: Wonder Woman might do the same for me, if I died. But I hope she wouldn't count on my gratitude.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Jara cant help gloating over and again after defeating Kara for first time.Jara: This belt is now in the hands of its rightful owner. It never really belonged to that—to her. I have made her suffer in equal combat, and I have beaten her. She was never my equal, and never will be. From here on, the title belongs to a true woman, a real woman, a superior woman to this cringing mess beneath us all...it belongs to Jasmine. And it always will, till the day I willingly pass it on! It will NEVER return to the hands of Kara Zor-El!"
- Victorious Loser: Jara realizes she may hold the title after defeating Kara but the Girl of Steel is the real champion.Even though Jasmine held the belt, Kara was the champion.
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left: Blackflame tries to make her escape when her scheme to manipulate Kara's rival wrestler into killing her during a match fails, but she gets caught and thrown in the Phantom Zone.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Both Kara and her cousin are pretty lousy at personal relationships. Battling beings who can literally punch worlds out of existence? Been done. Interpersonal relationships? Forget it. Kal believes maybe he'd not be so bad at understanding women if the two of them had grown up together."But I, I just couldn't do it. You had to learn how to live. You had to grow up. I couldn't keep you in a bell jar forever. I had to let you get out there and take some lumps, and learn how to deal with things. I—Kara. Do you know I always wanted a sister? I've always been lonely. A brother would have been nice. But do you think..." He was choking back his own tears. "Do you think that... I would've stayed single this long... if I'd grown up with a sister? Somebody who... could teach me about women...? Do you..."
And now she was holding him against her breast for the first time, and rocking him. "It's okay, Kal. It's okay. I do understand. I do..."
- We Used to Be Friends: Superboy and Lex. They were friends until Lex started blaming Superboy for anything bad happened to him. After several attempts on his life, Superboy broke their friendship off. Even so, he still endeavored to reach Lex out several times to no avail.Nasthalthia: Superboy stomps back in, and he doesn't look pleased. Lex figured either he's going to get hit, or taken to jail, or both. But Blue Boy doesn't do either thing. He said that, since Lex saved his life once, he was going to give him a break and not take him in. He said that squared the debt between them. But he also said that he would never trust him again, that he could never see Lex as a friend again, and, believe it or not, that hurt Lex. Don't ask me or him why, but he said it did hurt.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After recruiting Starfire and Cyber and narrating the origin of the Superman/Luthor feud, Nasthalthia disappears.Nasthalia Luthor was not found. She had gone to ground shortly after introducing Lex to the two villainesses, intending to come out if he managed to be successful this time. She stayed undercover, was fired in absentia from her job as vice president of the San Francisco TV station for which Linda Danvers used to work, and, when the authorities learned of her part in the plot, was the benefit of an APB issued to all law enforcement agencies.
But they didnt find her. Kal and Kara both suspected that someday, they would.
- Woman Scorned: Jaras reaction to be turned down by Kara is to beat her to a bloody pulp."I'm offering you a choice. If you take me, I'll go easy on you in the ring. If you don't—" She gave Kara as venomous a look as she'd ever seen, and the heroine replayed all the cliches she'd heard about a woman scorned.
- Would Be Rude to Say "Genocide": Jara is member of the Travelling Clan, a nomad tribe which was persecuted and nearly wiped out in the Kryptonian past. Although no Kandorian condones those actions, it's still a touchy issue.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Being a wrestler, Kara learns dozens of moves which she uses on her enemies like Faora Hu-Ul.
- Yandere: Turning Jara down will get you savagely beaten up."I'm offering you a choice. If you take me, I'll go easy on you in the ring. If you don't—" She gave Kara as venomous a look as she'd ever seen, and the heroine replayed all the cliches she'd heard about a woman scorned. "If you don't, I promise you twenty- five minutes of sheer hell. And you know I can deliver. Now, what'll it be? Ecstasy— or agony?"
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: When Kara is disheartened and discouraged after her defeat at Jasmine's hands, it's her parents who help her get her fighting spirit back.Kara: I guess Jasmine is the broken tooth. But I failed, Daddy.
Zor-El: You did not fail! You got beaten. The only way you fail is if you let this beat you. Kara, life is a lot tougher than some wrestling match. And you're old enough now that I shouldn't have to be doing this. So what next? Do you want to get back in that ring?
Kara: (hesitating) I'm scared of her.
Zor-El: I didn't ask if you were scared of her. Do you want to get back in that ring and get back at her? Say it, Kara. I won't say it for you. Do you want to get back in the ring?
Kara: Yes! Yes, yes, yes, I do! I want to get back at her and show her up and get that stupid belt back, and then give it up. That's what I want, Daddy. That's what I want. But how do I do it? How... do... I...
Allura: With our help, honey. That's how you do it. With both of us by your side, all the way. But most of all, with you on your side. Are you ready to start facing life, instead of just making right turns to it?
Kara: I guess so. Yes.
Zor-El: Say it again. Yes, what?
Kara: Yes, I'm ready to face up to life. (pause) It's going to be hard, Daddy.
Zor-El: It always is, Karaish.
Kara: You really think I can do this thing?
Zor-El: Do you think you can do it?
Kara: I really think I can tr—
Zor-El: Stop it! (Covering her mouth) Now, I'm going to let you repeat the first part of that sentence. If you say the wrong thing, this hand is going over that mouth again. Now what?
Kara: I really think I can.
Zor-El: (smiling) I really know you can. But you have to face up to her. And I can't do that for you.
- You Are Not Alone: When Kara is depressed and unwilling to go out and face her rival Jasmine again, her parents remind her that she isn't alone.Zor-El: I didn't ask if you were scared of her. Do you want to get back in that ring and get back at her? Say it, Kara. I won't say it for you. Do you want to get back in the ring?
Kara: Yes! Yes, yes, yes, I do! I want to get back at her and show her up and get that stupid belt back, and then give it up. That's what I want, Daddy. That's what I want. But how do I do it? How... do... I...
Allura: With our help, honey. That's how you do it. With both of us by your side, all the way. But most of all, with you on your side.
- You Can't Go Home Again: When Kara goes back to Earth for first time in months, she goes over her adoptive parents' house and finds her clone is already staying with them. Both her parents and the second "Linda" mean well, but Kara can't help but feel displaced.Kara sighed and took her "sister's" hand. You can't go home again, she told herself. Especially if another you comes back home first.