Like in the original series, Friendship Is Magic has Loads and Loads of Characters. This page is to help keep track of them all.
The Mane Six
The Leader of the team and the Element of Magic. After being given a headband by her older sister, Twilight now must reassemble the Elements of Harmony in their current incarnations to battle the darkness of Discord.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Twilight is of Japanese descent.
- Adorkable: Awkward around people but a friendly sort all the same.
- Demonic Possession: She was possessed by the Tantabus, an Eldritch Abomination that feeds off negative emotions in hopes of forcing its victims into crossing the Despair Event Horizon and becoming Dark Magical Girl's. While it was repelled by Pinkamena, traces still remain in Twilight, and could cause The Corruption if not eradicated by Celeste's light.
- Didn't Think This Through:
- Twilight's spirit adviser tells her that a river dragon is very sensitive about its river hair, so Twilight (thinking it was a hint about how to Attack Its Weak Point) instantly slices off half of the mustache. This naturally makes the dragon angrier, and earns Twilight a Dope Slap for her troubles.
- Ignores her adviser's instructions about what magic to use in a duel against Trixie and ends up losing and having Trixie take her Element. Granted, she was being affected by the Tantabus at the time, vastly hindering her judgement skills.
- The Heart: Aside from being the one to assemble the other Elements, it is her Element of Magic - and more importantly, herself - that binds the other five together and allows them to function.
- Magical Girl: Considering her power is borderline magic, it's a given.
- Morality Pet: She and Pinkie are mutual ones. It was her cry of anguish that stopped Pinkamena from killing Haze, and Pinkie was the one who managed to get her to fight off the Tantabus.
- Reluctant Hero: Didn't exactly jump at the call when Celestia gave her her mission but after fighting Luna first hand, realizes how important it is.
- Teens Are Short: At 14 years old she's only 1.6 meters tall (About 5ft 2ins), being the third shortest of the group next to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, with Fluttershy being only .01 meters (0.4 inches) shorter, and Dash being only .12 meters (4.7 inches) shorter and a year younger.
- Younger than She Looks: Much to Twilight's chagrin, despite being 14 she looks like a child. Rarity even says she has the body of an 11 year old, and goes as far as to use Sci-Twi as a model for a new line of children's clothes.
The first of the girls to join Twilight and the Element of Laughter. The first person Twilight met on her first day, she joined the Elements when Luna froze time and almost killed Twilight, with Pinkie saving her in time. An ultra-peppy girl normally, she possesses a Super-Powered Evil Side named Pinkamena, and multiple characters have noted she possesses a strange power.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Pinkie is of Israeli descent. This leads to...
- Badass Israeli: Possibly one of the strongest (and most dangerous) of the main six.
- Big Damn Heroes: After being unfrozen from Luna's magic thanks to her Element activating, she saves Twilight from an attack from Luna.
- Bi the Way: While she prefers men, she does not mind women either.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied Trope. Pinkamena's existence is hinted to be Pinkie's means of dealing with some form of trauma, supplementary material suggesting an abusive home life.
- Eating The Eyecandy: Even Berserker!Spike isn't safe!
- Elemental Powers:
- Genki Girl: It's Pinkie, you expect her to be any less chipper in this incarnation?
- Groin Attack: When Twilight is having trouble with one of the monsters, Pinkie just kicks it in the groin to make it spit out it's Discord seed.
- Instant Expert: Takes to her powers very quickly, much to the chagrin of Twilight.
- Jumped at the Call: Unlike the other girls, who needed some convincing to join Twilight, she instantly accepts being a Bearer of Harmony just for the fun of it.
- Morality Pet: She and Twilight are mutual ones. It was Twilight's cry of anguish that stopped Pinkamena from killing Haze, and she was the one who managed to get Twilight to fight off the Tantabus.
- No-Sell: While it affected her at first, she was able to resist the Oblivio spell Trixie cast by becoming Pinkamena, and resist the darkness created by the Tantabus in order to save Twilight. Zecora notes that only two classes should be able to resist magic, but finds it hard to believe Pinkie belongs to either.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Pinkamena is this for her, and emerges when she sees her friends getting hurt. Unlike Pinkie however, Pinkamena is a borderline sadistic Blood Knight and not afraid to use cruel means to defeat her opponent. She's dark enough to even scare the Tantabus.
- Taking the Bullet: Took a very fatal attack to protect Fluttershy. She was fortunately saved by both Rarity and Fluttershy.
- Yandere: Hurting her friends causes to become Pinkamena, in which she violently attacks and threatens whoever harmed them. In this state, she even frightens the Tantabus.
The third to join the group and The Element of Generosity. The Student Council President who spends her free time helping those in need, she soon joins the Elements after witnessing Twilight get injured and running to help her.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Rarity is of French descent.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her old.
- Cast from Hit Points: Rarity has Healing Hands, however using them easily drains her own stamina.
- Cool Big Sis: She's the oldest of the group, and often serves as a source of advice and help for Twilight.
- Elemental Powers:
- The Fashionista: Naturally into all things fashion.
- Hates Being Alone: Rarity never really had friends before joining the group, and surrounded herself with other popular girls in order to compensate.
- Hidden Depths: One of the popular girls at Twilight's school. However she reveals to be very caring and helps out a soup kitchen after hours. She likewise works at a dress shop.
- Hypocritical Humor: Chastises Coco Pommel for interrupting her conversation with Twilight, claiming she is rude. This is despite the fact she is in the middle of working and Coco simply wants to buy a dress.
- Mythology Gag:
- When Twilight shows her powers to Rarity, they're attacked by a sea serpent visibly similar to Steven Magnet. Twilight cuts it's mustache off thinking it's a weak point only to instead anger it. Rarity however manages to placate it by using her magic to regrow it, much like her Equestrian incarnation did for Steven by giving up her tail.
- Several of the outfits she designs invoke this. The initial uniform she designed is meant to invoke their normal Equestrian Appearances, while she later sketches the Amazing Mare Do Well.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: She has no qualms using her position as Student Council President to look at Applejack's information in the School Database, even though said information is confidential.
The fourth to join the Elements, she is The Element of Kindness. A shy girl who attempted suicide when she was younger, she was saved by Rainbow Dash and became friends with her, and soon joined the elements after Pinkie protected her from a Manticore's blast.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Fluttershy is of Venezuelan descent.
- Berserk Button: One of the few things that gets her mad is saying you hurt animals, including eating meat.
- Elemental Powers:
- Friend to All Living Things: She absolutely adores animals, and doesn't take kindly to anyone who would hurt them.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She has a large bunny plushie, most likely meant to resemble Angel Bunny, and wanted Rainbow to win her one at the carnival. Unfortunately, this being Rainbow, they couldn't leave until she managed to actually win one. By time night hit, Fluttershy had one that looked like Spike's Equestrian Incarnation, only because the vendor began to pity Rainbow and gave it to Fluttershy.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Due to bullying, she nearly decided to kill herself by jumping off a bridge. A passing Rainbow Dash convinced her otherwise.
- Healing Hands: Like Rarity, she can heal her friends, however unlike Rarity's it doesn't drain her own stamina.
- Nice Girl: Element of Kindness for a reason. Even when angry at Rainbow for eating meat, it's more Played for Laughs than anything.
- Only Friend: Rainbow Dash was this to her initially. Fluttershy making friends with Twilight, Rarity and Pinkie is what sparks Dash's jealously and Haze's control over her, though Rainbow soon joins them too.
- Only Sane Man: Tends to be the only one to remain rational at all times, even moreso than Twilight.
- Shrinking Violet: As in the show, she's nervous around new people.
- Teens Are Short: At 14 years old she's only 1.59 meters tall (About 5ft 2ins), being the second shortest of the group next to Rainbow Dash, with Fluttershy being only .01 meters (0.4 inches) shorter than Twilight, and Dash being only .11 meters (4.3 inches) shorter and a year younger.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Dash's tomboy.
The fifth to join and The Element of Loyalty. A parkour enthusiast and originally Fluttershy's only friend, she was nearly turned into Luna's servant before the other Element's convinced her in joining.
- A-Cup Angst: Rainbow shows shades of this due to her often being confused for a child.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Dash is of Russian descent, and lived there for some time with Gilda before moving.
- The Baby of the Bunch: She's the youngest of the Mane Six at only 13 years old.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't try and make friends with Fluttershy, however she has since dropped this after Twilight and friends convinced her that they were different.
- Don't say she looks like a kid either.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Becomes this due to a cursed medallion the Shadowbolts gave her that amplifies her jealousy toward Fluttershy making new friend. Fluttershy manages to snap her of out of it.
- Calling Your Attacks: She always shouts the name of her attacks. Pinkie Pie tells her that is stupid, and she gets angry and says that's how she fights because she's a superhero.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Dash is very protective of Fluttershy and refuses to let her talk with anyone, least of all Twilight's growing group since she thinks they'll take advantage of her. Dash reveals this happened before with some popular girls, who bullied Fluttershy to the point where she was nearly Driven to Suicide. Rainbow assumes this is the case again because why else would someone of Rarity's popularity suddenly start talking to Fluttershy? This becomes a problem later on when the group needs Fluttershy to activate her Element and sparks distrust in Dash. She grows out of this after suffering a My God, What Have I Done? moment, letting Fluttershy be friends with the Elements, and even becoming friends with them herself.
- The Corruptible: Rainbow is targeted by Luna as the Element of Harmony she wishes to induce a FaceHeel Turn in, with growing success but is successfully averted at the end of chapter 6.
- Determinator: When she and Applejack fight, she just shrugs off her injuries and keeps going despite the damage she's taking.
- Elemental Powers:
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Just as brash as her Equestrian incarnation, but won't stand by when Twilight and Fluttershy nearly die, and perfectly willing to admit if she was wrong.
- Le Parkour: Rainbow's main hobby and aspiring profession as well as the practiced form in Wonderbolt Academy and the Shadowbolt team.
- Mentor Ship: Supplementary material confirms she has a one-sided crush on her mentor, the 15 year old Soarin.
- Multicolored Hair: Zig Zagged Trope. She retains her Equestrian Incarnation's Rainbow hair, only because she dyes it though. Without the dye, her hair is pure sky blue.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She realizes she was wrong for denying Fluttershy the chance to make other friends, and finds that as long as Fluttershy is happy, so is she.
- Mythology Gag: Prior to dyeing her hair rainbow colored, Dash had blue hair much like Firefly. The shade more closely matches her pony coat.
- Older Than They Look: She looks around the same age as Spike and Sweetie Bell, something she does not like, but she is actually 13.
- Teens Are Short: At 13 years old she's only 1.48 meters tall (About 4ft 9ins), being the shortest of the group, much to her chagrin.
- Undying Loyalty: At first only with Fluttershy and Gilda, she soon gains this for all of the Elements of Harmony.
- Yandere: Towards Fluttershy under Luna's influence, nearly joining the Shadowbolts under the belief the Bearers were stealing her away.
A spirit from the Equestria world linked to Twilight's magic to help her with her powers. She was one of the five Supreme Alicorns who gave stability and harmony to Equestria before Celestia and Luna ruled. In Ancient Equestria, she was Celestia and Luna's aunt.
She has a vast knowledge about the creatures that lived in Equestria, and at this point she's wandering the Astral Plane. However, she can be summoned by anyone who has any grade of magic knowledge, but both her appearance and powers might differ depending upon the user's magic level from the one pictured above (for example, when Twilight summoned her at Chapter 2). She also has a variety of techniques and spells, but the best known is Matter manipulation, allowing her to create anything, even living creatures. However, these creatures die out after a certain period of time because they don't have a soul.
- Defector from Decadence: She was once a powerful figure in Ancient Equestria, but abhorred the taking of life whatsoever. So when the Alicorn who would become Discord declared his intent to permanently kill the Berserker Dragons after they slaughtered his people by sending their souls into The Lifestream effectively destroying them, she vehemently refused. When the other surviving Alicorns agreed to his plan however, she refused to live in the same dimension as those that would take life with such extremes any longer, and enter a self-imposed exile in the Astral Plane, but not before saving two Berserker Dragon eggs and hiding them.
- Development Gag: She's pretty much Lauren Faust's ponysona. Seeing how she literally is the "architect" of Equestria i.e the developer of the 4th generation of My Little Pony.
- Dope Slap: Delivers one to Twilight when she makes a sea serpent monster angry by brashly attacking it without thinking.
- Fiery Redhead: Has a red mane and certainly not one to shy from calling Twilight out for bone-headed mistakes.
- Fun Size: When Twilight first summons her, she's a small, chibi looking pony. She explains that since Twilight's power is fairly weak at the moment, that is her current form. But as Twilight's power grows, so will the Architect's size.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Just known as "The Architect". Granted, fans of the series will know it's the Fausticorn but she doesn't go by that here.
- Spirit Advisor: Serves as an instructor to Twilight when she's starting out.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: She refused to entertain the idea of permanently killing the Berserker Dragons, despite the harm they were doing to her own people. When the other Alicorns and the leading Alicorn all agreed to eradicate the souls of the Berserker Dragons, she chose to abandon her home and defy their decision by saving two eggs and keeping them hidden.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Her decision to spare two Berserker Dragon eggs would have drastic consequences down the line, as one of the two, Spike, would eventually hatch and be reincarnated on Earth, becoming the Sin of Greed through Christopher's machinations. Her attempt to warn him not to use his Jewel of Greed, the Ruby Heart, would likewise backfire once Spike was left with no other options while Rarity was being mauled by Timberwolves.
Twilight's older sister, and the reincarnation of Equestria's ruler Celestia.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul:
- Instead of being Twilight's mentor in this reality, she's Twilight's Cool Big Sis.
- Unlike in Equestria, she and Luna don't appear to be biologically related in the new reality.
- Presuming Cadence still marries Shining Armor in this universe, due to Celeste being Shining Armor's older sister this time, she'll be Cadence's sister-in-law instead of biological aunt.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Celeste is of Japanese descent.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Her main profession. She kicks off the series by finding the tiara and the elements disk and sending them to Twilight.
- Big Damn Heroes: While the spirit fragment of Celestia is dealing with Luna. Celeste moves Luna's body away from Twilight and to an island to seal her.
- Cool Big Sis: Toward Twilight and Spike.
- Multicolored Hair: As with her pony counterpart. Her hair is multi-colored.
- Related in the Adaptation: By virtue of Reincarnation, she is now Twilight, Spike, and Shining Armor's Older Sister.
- Sealed Good in a Can: She seals Luna in an island to keep her from attacking Twilight and allow her sister to get stronger. This requires she stay in proximity near the island to keep the seal going however.
A close friend of Celeste's, she too is aware of her time in Equestria and serves as both Celeste's and the Element's teacher in Magic.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Zecora is of African descent, doubling as a Mythology Gag to her past life as a Zebra, which are native to Africa.
- Badass Teacher: Zecora is responsible for Celeste's and soon the Element's training, and she is no slouch in the magic department either.
- Brutal Honesty: Doesn't sugarcoat things, including whether or not you are necessary at the moment.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Briefly showed up with Celeste after she contacted Rainbow Dash.
- Locked Out of the Loop:
- Due to being in the Everfree Forest during the climax of "Secret of My Excess", she is unaware about the existence of Spikezilla.
- She is unaware of any Equestrian knowledge that predates Celestia and Luna rule. As it would be unknown to Celestia herself, it would in turn be unknown to Zecora after Celestia made her into a living library.
- The Mentor: Due to having lived longer than the others, she serves as one to both Celeste and the Elements in the ways of Magic.
- Reincarnation: Unlike the other characters, Zecora has gone through more than one. She ended up on Earth 999 years earlier, possessing a power known as Eternal Spirit. Eternal Spirit prevents her soul from ever fading, so when her current incarnation dies, her soul enters someone else, awakening when her new host turns 10. Through this power she has lived many life times, and retains all the memories and experience of each one.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Subverted. Zecora does not retain her habit of speaking in rhyme like her Equestrian incarnation, having shed it over her various lifetimes.
- Sensor Character: She is able to sense things inside characters, including the Tantabus in Twilight. She is also able to detect Sunset Shimmer from quite the distance away.
- Took a Level in Cynic: In comparison to her Equestrian self. She is a lot more jaded in comparison, and isn't as open. Having technically lived almost 1000 years can do that though.
- Tribal Face Paint: Her current incarnation is a Kenya native, and bears tribal paint on both her face and body.
An alchemical clone of Twilight created by Zecora meant to serve as her substitute whenever Twilight can't stay in town.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: In canon, Sci-Twi is the EQG universes counterpart to Twilight, the two even meeting in the post-credits scene of the third movie. Here, she's an obedient clone of Twilight.
- Clone Degeneration: A natural risk for her. To avoid this, Zecora recommends that she be deconstructed and stored in a special jar until she needs to be revived.
- Golem: She's less a clone and more an obedient Golem made in the image of Twilight. According to Zecora, she's composed of soil and purified water, and her appearance is due to Twilight's blood being used in the process of creating her. If someone else's blood was used, she'd take on their appearance. It doesn't help that while Twilight's gone, the others use her for a variety of tasks like a servant.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: As a clone of Twilight she has naturally good eyesight, however due to Spike feeling uncomfortable ordering her around when she looks identical to his sister, he gave her a pair of glasses and renamed her to make it easier.
- Undying Loyalty: She is completely obedient and loyal to her masters, namely the Mane Six and Spike.
The holder of the Element of Honesty and the only bearer yet to join the others. An unknown incident from her past has convinced her Friendship isn't worth the risk of pain, and as such actively refuses to join the group.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Applejack is of American descent.
- The Aloner: Prefers being by herself then being around people.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Asks Twilight that if they were really meant to be friends, would she have tried making friends with the rest of the Mane Six if it wasn't for the whole "save the world" gig in the first place. Twilight can't answer because when thinking back, she realizes that she prioritized searching and convincing the Bearers to join her over actually trying to make friends with them at first sight.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Fluttershy and Spike from a few muggers and likewise joins in the fight against a Brainwashed and Crazy Rainbow Dash.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Despite trying her best to stay out of things due to past trauma, she keeps getting flashes of her past life since the fight with Trixie and doesn't know how to stop it. Celeste ultimately has to contact her and plead that she help the Bearers, especially since Spike's life was on the line at the time. Applejack eventually concedes.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Even without magic, she's strong enough to crush a stone into powder and fight evenly with a brainwashed Rainbow Dash whose physical stats have been enhanced.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied that due to her family being wealthy, many people became a False Friend to her just because she was rich. She ultimately decided it wasn't worth it to have any friends, likely equally motivated by the loss of a true friend whose loss Applejack regards as My Greatest Failure.
- Foregone Conclusion: She will eventually join the other Bearers, only question is when.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Very aloof in this universe but not willing to sit by and see people get hurt.
- The Lancer: Her official role in the group dynamic is to be Twilight's number two.
- My Greatest Failure: Seems to blame herself for the loss of a girl who looks a lot like Little Strongheart.
- Playing with Fire: As an Element, her primary forms of fighting is Fire Manipulation.
- Refusal of the Call: Twilight tries to get her to join her and the others, but Applejack refuses based on the grounds that she believes Twilight is just using her as a means to an end to activate the Elements rather than genuine friendship (despite Twilight trying to convince her to the contrary).
- Secretly Wealthy: In this universe, her family's apple business has taken off and made the Apple family quite rich. When Twilight goes to talk with Applejack, she's surprised that she lives in a mansion.
- Statuesque Stunner: Definitely the tallest of the girls.
- Token Minority: Inverted. Of the Mane Six, Applejack is the only American girl.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Applejack rejecting Twilight's friendship is what allowed the Tantabus to begin affecting her.
- What You Are in the Dark: While she doesn't want to join the Elements out of fear of getting hurt again, she still helps them from the shadows by opening up Trixie's bag and freeing their elements so they can be healed.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Seen using wrestling moves against a bully and likewise does so against a brainwashed Rainbow Dash.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: She retains her orange skin from the Equestria Girls film series.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Shows up during the fight between the Elements and a Hydra.
- Elemental Powers:
- Playing with Fire: Implied through material drawn of her that she can control fire.
- Mysterious Watcher: Seen watching the battle against the hydra. Christopher spots her, notices she has a tiara and tries to find out who she is. But Sunset leaves through a portal without saying a word.
- Spanner in the Works: Uses her magic to aid Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Pinkie in finding the Discord Gem, then leaves once she locks eyes with Christopher.
- True Neutral: While she is by no means an enemy, Supplementary Materials don't suggest she is an ally, as she is shown fighting both Twilight and Trixie.
- Unknown Rival: Aside from Christopher, no one knows she exists.
Twilight's adopted brother, he is manipulated by Christopher and is transformed into the Carrier of Greed. Unlike the other Carriers, he is left as The Berserker and unaffiliated with the Sins.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Spike is of Japanese descent. However, a conversation between Spike and Rarity reveals that his physical features indicate that he may be of at least partly western descent.
- Adult Fear: He's approached on the street by a mysterious stranger pretending to be a family friend, who then proceeds to brainwash him.
- Anger Born of Worry: Rarity being in danger or suffering not only makes him angry, but dangerously stronger. Coupled as a Rage Breaking Point.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Twilight sometimes. Including using Sci-Twi as his personal servant and dressing her like a maid.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Ruby Heart. The Architect of Equestria warns him not to use it if he ever gets it, though he doesn't listen.
- Expy: Spike's Berserker form serves as one to several characters with The Berserker traits, namely Broly and Issei's in his Juggernaut Drive, and The Incredible Hulk.
- Like Broly, Spike on his own is mild mannered and kind to the protagonists, but upon being set off, turns into The Berserker and lets his rage loose. His appearance draws from Broly too.
- Like Issei's Juggernaut Drive, Spike's Berserker form is a result of using untapped power after his love interest was at risk of death. Both are heroes that are described as beings capable of killing gods, with the ability to double their power in a matter of seconds, and described as pure energy and rage incarnate.
- Like the Hulk, anger is his main fuel, and he appears like a bulky man wearing only torn purple pants.
- FaceMonster Turn: While originally the Tag Along Kid for the Elements of Harmony, he is made into a Carrier of Sin by Christopher's machinations. Namely, having Timberwolves overwhelm Rarity and leaving Spike using the heart as the only option left. Downplayed in that he isn't a villain now, but an uncontrollable berserker.
- Happily Adopted: Was originally an orphan until Twilight's family adopted him when he was still a baby. Twilight was even the one who picked him.
- Hopeless Suitor: His chances with Rarity aren't exactly better than in the canon, but at least they are from the same species now...
- Genre Savvy: Or he tries, but it's ultimately averted. He can recognize when he's in a pinch or troubling situation, but can't avoid it, mainly if Rarity is Involved.
- Last of His Kind: Spike is one of the two sole surviving Berserker Dragons, Dragons with demon blood responsible for the genocide of the Alicorns long before Celestia and Luna ruled Equestria. His egg had been saved by the Architect alongside one other before the ruler who would become Discord could attempt to make the Berserker Dragons Deader Than Dead, and hidden in the Equestrian Castle with other Dragon eggs, under the belief no one could hatch him with the Alicorns near extinct. Then Twilight did what was Beyond the Impossible.
- Love at First Sight: Even without the memories of his prior life, he still falls for Rarity upon first seeing her.
- Protectorate: As Berserker!Spike, he only has one priority: protecting Rarity. His transformation was initially caused by his desire to save Rarity after she was overwhelmed by the Timberwolves.
- No-Sell: In his Berserker state, he's immune to magic attacks due to the aura he surrounds himself in. The only way to hurt him is with physical attacks, but even then, they need to be strong enough to keep him down, as he can easily shrug off physical attacks, and just as easily re-set his bones, demonstrated with his fingers after they were bent backwards by Pinkie.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Normally, Spike is a little kid befitting his young age, and only 1.42 meters tall (4.6 feet). Upon using the Sin of Greed though, his body ages till he looks like a grown man, and his height increases to 2.11 meters (6.9 feet).
- Reincarnation Romance: One sided with a sad twist. Back in Equestria, Spike promised to always protect Rarity. This bond linked both spiritually, allowing him to always know if she's in danger. Sadly, Rarity thought it was a friendship promise, while Spike made it as an Act of True Love. It doesn't matter how many times they reincarnate, or even if Spike falls in love with someone else, he's forever bound to be Rarity's guardian.
- Serious Business: Aside from hurting Rarity, Berserker!Spike has one other trigger: the Ruby Heart. Touching it will send him into a rage and cause him to attempt to kill whoever touched it. Not even his own sister Twilight or Rarity are exempt from this wrath, as when Twilight tried to remove it, he responded by nearly snapping her neck, and when Rarity tried it, he nearly strangled her until he realized who it was.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Berserker!Spike, an out of control brute in the vein of Broly.
- Yandere: As Berserker!Spike, the only thing he cares about is Rarity, while everyone else is a non-factor. If anything tries to hurt her, he attempts to kill it. If she injures herself, it makes him stronger.
Three minions formerly under Luna's command named Descent, Nightingale and Haze. After being defeated by Rainbow Dash, Descent and Nightingale run off while Haze returns to Christopher. See the Carriers of Sin for Haze's entry.
- Anti-Hero Team: After they defect from Luna's side and Haze leaves to pursue his own goals, they presumably become this.
- HeelFace Turn: Descent does this at the end of chapter 6, taking the unconscious Nightingale with him, leaving her as a Hazy Feel Turn.
- O.C. Stand-in: Unlike the TV series where they were manifestations of Luna's power. Here, they're quite real people working under her. Descent and Haze prove to be subversions in that Descent is the codename for the canon character Flash Sentry, and Haze is actually a changeling with the name Edward sent to spy on Luna. Jury's out on Nightingale being a Canon Character though.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The first real challenger to the Elements of Harmony.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: While Descent and Nightingale are siblings, Haze had his own agenda and was only working with them out of necessity.
- Terrible Trio: The three of them when working under Luna.
- True Neutral: Despite their HeelFace Turn, they aren't willing to fight Luna after she saved them, leaving them neutral parties in the battle between her and the Elements.
- Two Guys and a Girl
The Token Good Teammate amidst the group, he tried to recruit Rainbow into their group. Unlike the others though, he genuinely wanted her to join rather than just to cripple the Elements. He and his sister were originally caught in an accident a month before the story began, causing him to lose his sight and making Nightingale a paraplegic. "Descent" is a code name given by Luna when he joined her, his real name being Flash Sentry.
- Big Brother Instinct: When Nightingale is knocked out by Rainbow Dash during the battle, he briefly aims an attack at them while demanding to know if she's mortally wounded, he quickly calms down when Rainbow reveals that she's uninjured.
- Conflicting Loyalty: While his mission was to serve Luna and bring her Rainbow, he grew to care about her as a true friend and refused to fight after she truly joined the Elements. It's his friendship with her that convinced him to take Nightingale and defect.
- Ship Tease: Pinkie seems to have a thing for him, to the point of flirting with him mid-battle.
- Token Good Teammate: He actually did care for the well being of Rainbow Dash and wanted her to legitimately join them. He's also the only one to pull an outright HeelFace Turn.
- Unexpected Character: Descent is just a code name Luna gave him. His real name is Flash Sentry.
Descent's sister and a Hot-Blooded member of the group. She is devoted to Luna after she saved her and Descent from the injuries that would have otherwise crippled them.
- Dark Action Girl: The sole girl among the group, and the one most willing to resort to lethal tactics.
- Hazy Feel Turn: While her brother's is a bit easier to believe, she was unconscious when they left, leaving it unknown if she'll follow in her brothers footsteps, or return to evil.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Doesn't care if what they are doing is wrong, they owe Luna for healing their otherwise permanent disabilities. Calls out Descent when he starts to question their actions.
- No Name Given: With The Reveal that Descent's name is just a codename rather than his real name, it leaves Nightingale's real name unknown.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only girl of the team.
A being said that will spread chaos once an eclipse happens within five years. It revealed in Chapter 10 that Discord is only the name taken by his current form, was formerly one of the five Supreme Alicorns and ruled Ancient Equestria.
- Adaptational Villainy: Justified, in that the comic debuted before Discord's HeelFace Turn, meaning he was still a legitimate enemy at the time of developing the comic.
- The Corrupter: The cause of a lot of problems in the story thanks to his Discord Gems twisting and distorting those affected by them.
- Dragons Up the Yin Yang: His Alicorn self's cutie mark is a "yin-yang" symbol.
- Fallen Hero: Went from an Alicorn that ruled through justice and order to a Draconequus, the Lord of Chaos.
- Greater-Scope Villain: He's implied to be the Big Bad, but his influence is rather limited to creating monsters with his Discord Gems, leaving him as this.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Discord is simply his current name as a Draconequus. His original name as an Alicorn is unknown.
- Was Once A Pony: He was not always a Draconequus, rather he was the ruler of the Alicorns of Ancient Equestria. Sometime after the Berserker Dragons nearly killed his people however, he was transformed into the Lord of Chaos.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Before he was a Draconequus, he was the ruler of Equestria, and ruled through justice and order. His first priority was the safety of his people, so when the Berserker Dragons risked the complete genocide of the Alicorns, the ruler was willing to banish all their souls to the Lifestream if it meant protecting his people. Unfortunately, said attempt ended in most of his people dying in the process.
- Would Hurt a Child: Demanded that Trixie kill Twilight during the duel despite Trixie's horror at the idea.
The Princess of the Moon while in Equestria, Luna is now one of the main threats the Elements of Harmony face.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Luna is of Indian descent.
- Defector from Decadence: She was originally the Carrier of Wrath, but left to pursue her own goals.
- Hidden Depths: Descent remarks that Luna is not as evil as the Elements think, and Edward says that both she and Applejack were born to suffer for others.
- No-Sell: She allows Twilight a chance to hit her to test her powers. Twilight does manage to surprise her by summoning a friendship spell. Unfortunately without the other Bearers, it doesn't have enough power to even scratch Luna.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Luna is merely the name of her Equestrian incarnation that she goes by for simplicity. Her birth name is Latika.
- Out of Focus: Due to being locked away on an island for the year, she is less active than Discord's monsters or the Carriers.
- Pet the Dog: Descent and Nightingale were crippled, and Luna healed them. They repaid her by joining her side.
- Starter Villain: The first of the villains in the series. Originally thought to be the Big Bad but the story reveals she's just a very powerful pawn in the grand scheme of things.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Celeste manages to banish her to an island that will keep her contained for a year in the hopes the Bearers will be strong enough to fight her then.
- Time Stands Still: One of her power was the ability to do this.
A monster of darkness that attacks magic users, it infects Twilight after she begins to doubt herself and her aura weakens.
- Adaptational Villainy: The Tantabus was originally a creation of Luna's meant to serve as penance for her sins as Nightmare Moon, so this way she'd never forget what she did even if Equestria was willing to forgive her. Here, its a dark entity that prays upon magic users and corrupts them to create Midnight Witches.
- The Corrupter: Any magic user it infects becomes at risk of falling into the darkness, turning them into Midnight Witches.
- Horrifying the Horror: Before it can go after Twilight and Trixie, Pinkamena scares it away with a Death Glare.
- Your Worst Nightmare: Those it torments are forced to suffer through their doubts and trauma, creating their worst nightmares. For Twilight, its the thought she may have only became friends with the other Bearers for the sake of stopping Discord. For Trixie, its being forced to relive the night her biological parents died in front of her.
The Carriers of Sin
A group of villains known as the Carriers of Sin slowly being put together to counter the Elements of Harmony.
The Elements of Sin are jewels like the ones of Harmony (although not as ancient), they where created in Equestria with bad intentions using dark emotions such as hatred and even love. They originally weren't named after the Seven Sins, but someone with great power brought them together and named as such to combat the Elements of Harmony. However, back in Equestria they did not have enough power to stand up to the Elements because there were more positive emotions in Equestria such as love and friendship. But now in the human world where there's a lot more negative emotions, their power has increased just enough to combat the elements of Harmony.
Tropes that apply to the group as a whole:
- Artifact of Doom: Each of the Carrier's is in possession of a Gem representing their sin.
- Pride: The Jewel of Pride is the Alicorn Amulet, and is currently possessed by Trixie.
- Sloth: The Jewel of Sloth is the Death Pearl, and is currently without an owner.
- Envy: The Jewel of Envy is the Emerald of the Damned, and is currently possessed by Haze/Edward.
- Lust: The Jewel of Lust is the Horn of the Exiled Queen, and is owned by Christopher.
- Gluttony: The Jewel of Gluttony is the Anxiety Jade, and is currently possessed by Gilda.
- Greed: The Jewel of Greed is the Fire Ruby, and is currently embedded in Berserker!Spike's chest.
- Wrath: The Jewel of Wrath is unique in that it is three jewels, referred to as the Three Tests of Pain. While initially owned Luna, after she left the Sins they have been left with no owner.
- Divided We Fall: At the moment, two sins are unaccounted for, while only four are on the same side. Luna, the Sin of Wrath, left to pursue her own goals and abandoned her Gem, and Spike, the Sin of Greed, is The Berserker and on no one's side but his own and Rarity's.
- Evil Counterpart: To the Elements of Harmony, but more specifically:
- Pride/Trixie serves as one to Magic/Twilight. Both being prodigies in the art once they gain access, Trixie fights due her damaged pride, Twilight fights out of duty and for her friends.
- Gluttony/Gilda is one to Loyalty/Rainbow Dash. Both care deeply for their friends, but whereas Gilda leaves after Rainbow made new friends and wants more power so she will be the only one Rainbow needs, Rainbow uses her power to protect her friends and would never leave them.
- Envy/Haze/Edward and Honesty/Applejack. Both have a Mysterious Past and different approaches to the Elements of Harmony. While Applejack wants nothing to do with them, Haze/Edward wants to make sure Applejack joins them. And whereas Applejack is honest to a fault, Haze will lie in an effort to achieve his goals, but will admit to it after the fact.
- More Than Mind Control: This seems to be the case so far for some of them. It's implied that Christopher lied to Luna, telling her of her banishment but not the details behind it nor that Celestia was a caring sister for her. Both Gilda and Trixie fall prey to this due to having their negative emotions amplified.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Their group is both named and themed after them.
- Sixth Ranger: Supplementary Material depicts both Chrysalis and Starlight Glimmer as these.
The Leader of the Carriers of Sin, he is also responsible for recruiting them. While his motives are unknown, he is implied to serve Chrysalis.
- The Corrupter: He approaches his targets in hopes of turning them into Sin Carriers by preying on their weaknesses, fears, and desires, then tempts them with one of the various Sins.
- The Heavy: While he is implied to serve Chrysalis, he is responsible for most of the conflicts in the series.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: While he may utilize Discord Gems, he doesn't appear to serve Discord, but rather, is implied to serve Chrysalis. He appears to be trying to make sure the Elements of Harmony are formed, as he sent Haze/Edward to try and coerce Applejack into joining the Elements, and gave Trixie specific orders not to kill Twilight, whereas Discord wants Trixie to kill Twilight.
- Unknown Rival: None of the Elements are aware he even exists, and those that are either serve him (The Carriers of Sin), or used to (Luna).
Introduced as The Big Guy for the Shadowbolts, he is actually a changeling named Edward in the service of Christopher, and serves as the Carrier of Envy. He has a peculiar interest in Applejack.
- Dragon with an Agenda: On the surface he may seem like one Luna's servants, he is actually one of Christopher's agents, specifically, the Carrier of Envy, tasked with finding information about Applejack and making sure Rainbow joins the Elements.
- In the Hood: Wears a hoodie for most of his initial appearance. Drops this once he returns to Christopher.
- Mysterious Past: His motivations, Equestrian Identity (If he even has one outside of a standard Changeling), and true personality are unknown. The only thing known is that he has some connection to the Elements and claims to know how they would act.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: He doesn't play around in a fight and turns out to be a serious threat in the first major encounter with the Bearers. So much so that Pinkie had to change into Pinkamena just to fight him. Even then, he'd have won if Dash hadn't finally awakened her element and chased him off.
- The Reveal: Is actually a Changeling, and the Carrier of Envy.
- Villain Takes an Interest: Aside from being ordered to make sure she becomes a Bearer, Haze/Edward has a personal interest in Applejack for some reason.
Dash's friend from Cloudsdale, she returns to try and convince Dash to come back. After she becomes jealous that Dash has made friends other than her, Christopher preys on her weakness and she becomes the Carrier of Gluttony.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Gilda is Russian, and grew up in Russia with Dash before Dash moved away.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Just as Dash did with Fluttershy, Gilda is likewise jealous that Dash made friends other then her when she moved away. Christopher naturally takes advantage of this to turn her against Dash.
- Cool Big Sis: Used to be one for Rainbow, protecting her from bullies when they first met.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Rainbow served as hers, so much so that the thought of Rainbow not needing Gilda to protect her caused her to cross the Despair Event Horizon and join the Carriers.
- More Than Mind Control: She is led to believe that Rainbow will be constantly subjected to dangers so long as she is with the other Elements of Harmony, which Gilda does not want. Combined with her feelings of betrayal from Rainbow choosing them over her, she resolves to kill the Elements and take Rainbow back, joining the Carriers in the process.
- Parental Abandonment: Gilda's parents died when she was younger.
Initially a traveling performer for the Flim-Flam Carnival, after she is humiliated by Twilight during her show, Christopher manipulates her adopted parents into disowning her, and coerces her into joining him as the Carrier of Pride.
- Adaptational Badass: The pony version of Trixie was a stage magician and nowhere near Twilight's level of power or skill. Here she's Twilight's equal and was able to beat Twilight in a magic duel (albeit barely and only because Twilight didn't listen to her instructor).
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human, Trixie is of Norwegian descent.
- Always Someone Better: Twilight to her when Pinkie "volunteers" Twilight to perform magic with her. Naturally the villains play on this insecurity to get her to join them.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even if brainwashed, a part of her won't let herself kill Twilight in their duel.
- Happily Adopted: The adopted daughter of the Flim Flam Brothers and quite a loving family as well until they're brainwashed into kicking her out.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: After losing her birth family to a bear attack, Trixie desperately wishes to regain the feeling of being apart of a family, something she had while with Flim and Flam. After Christopher manipulates them into disowning her and claims he merely had them release what was in their hearts, that they did it so she could become greater than by staying with them, Trixie joins the Sin Bearers after Christopher promises they will be her new family.
- Knight of Cerebus: She was the first enemy to unequivocally defeat the Elements of Harmony, taking all their elements sans the unclaimed Element of Honesty, and ready to strip them of their memories. She only lost due to the unexpected intervention of The Tantabus, in which in began praying on her own fears and forced her to breakdown. Had the Tantabus not arrived though, Trixie would have won.
- More Than Mind Control: Christopher tells her about the existence of magic and plays off her pride to make Trixie think Twilight only won because of her magic. Add to the fact that she is still upset from Flim and Flam disowning her along with the Discord Gem he gave her, and Trixie became a Carrier. Even after being freed from the Gem and Christopher revealing he was controlling Flim and Flam, she still remains and accepts the Sin of Pride after being offered an extraordinary life and a true family.
One of the remaining Carriers of Sin, he has yet to receive his Gem. He has an interest in Pinkamena.
Rarity's litter sister, and a constant source of problems for Spike.
- Adaptational Jerkass: A fairly nice pony in the original show, here a scammer who constantly tricks Spike for her amusement.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human and like her older sister, Sweetie Belle is of French descent.
- Exact Words: She never outright lies to Spike, she just uses the words he wants to hear when telling the truth.
- Everyone Can See It: She easily figures out Spike has a thing for Rarity soon after meeting him.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Subverted. She makes Spike win her a plushie with the intent of selling it online for triple its normal value.
- Jerkass: As wrong as it is for Spike to want the picture, swindling him out of his money not once but twice is unwarranted.
- Manipulative Bastard:
- Scams Spike out of a dollar in exchange for a photo of Rarity's during her trip. It was...just wasn't a complete one of her.
- She does it again to get Spike to win her a plushie, promising a picture of Rarity enjoying herself at the beach. Spike ends up with a picture of Rarity at four years old playing around in the sand.
Applejack and Big Mac's little sister and Spike's classmate.
Applejack and Applebloom's Big Brother, and head of the Apple Family's Ponyville Branch.
- Adaptational Nationality: As a human and like his siblings, Big Mac is of American descent.
- Oblivious to Love: Has no idea that Twilight is crushing on him.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While he initially tries to call the police on Twilight for attempting to scale his family's fence, he's willing to hear her out once he learns she know's Applebloom. He also refuses to condone Applejack's attempts at brushing Twilight off after she promised Twilight they'd talk.
Soarin, Fleetfoot and Spitfire are three expert athletes that Rainbow Dash idolizes. They also perform rescue work in extreme situations.
- Badass Adorable: All three are only teenagers, yet are aces in their respective sports.
- You Don't Want to Know: Fleetfoot's response when asked what it was that Soarin' said to get her and Spitfire to agree with him.
Leader of the group, and excels in Skydiving.
- Bare Your Midriff: Wears a short yellow top.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Her reaction to Rainbow asking if she was Soarin's girlfriend.
- The Leader: Of The Wonderbolts.
- Not So Above It All: She finds herself cheering for Rainbow as she nears the finish.
- Only Sane Man: Tries to be this.
- The Stoic: Maintains a poker-face nearly all time.
- The Ace: A Le Parkour expert.
- Adorkable: Joins Rainbow and Fluttershy in their Puppy-Dog Eyes, and generally acts like Rainbows big brother when not being The Mentor.
- Blackmail: Uses this so Spitfire has to let Rainbow compete.
- Cool Big Bro: To both Rainbow, and to a lesser extant, Fluttershy.
- Le Parkour: His area of expertise.
- The Mentor: Teaches Rainbow in numerous ways, including both Parkour and what really matters.
Excels in swimming, and the Only Sane Man.
- Cool Big Sis: For Fluttershy and Rainbow.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Zig-zagged. As the swimmer of the group, her goggles are useful in protecting her eyes. Thing is, she wears them even when not swimming.
- Ms. Fanservice: Considering her area of expertise in comparison to her teammates though, it was inevitable.
- Only Sane Man: While she may fight with Soarin, she is the most level-headed of the group.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Often gets into little fights with Soarin, but the two are still solid teammates.
A competitor aiming to join the Wonderbolt's Academy, causing him to face Rainbow Dash when she was younger.
- Age Lift: In canon he's implied to be around Dash's age, while here he's explicitly older.
- Glory Seeker: His reasoning for aiming for the Academy is so he can take on Soarin, considered the Achilles of the modern era. He figures if he can surpass Soarin, he'll be the new living legend.
- I Let You Win: He's fully aware Dash let him win the race, and while he doesn't know why, he gained respect for her and looks forward to seeing her join him at the academy.
- Le Parkour: Like all competitor's aiming to join the Academy, he's a practitioner of Parkour, and quite skilled in it, only being outclassed by Rainbow Dash.
- Worthy Opponent: He considers Rainbow Dash one in spite of her age, managing to both keep up with and surpass him. After she let him win the race, he is looking forward to her eventually joining the academy in hopes of racing her again.
Half-demon, half-dragon. These dragons invaded Ancient Equestria and was the reason why Alicorns were an endangered species in the first place. When the remaining Alicorns made a last ditch effort to erase them in their own realm, two of their eggs were stolen by the Architect of Equestria before the war began to avert the upcoming genocide. One of the eggs would hatch and become Spike while the second egg is dropped off to parts unknown.
- Anti-Magic: One of their abilities.
- Diabolus ex Machina: It was stated that they were created by an evil being that managed to extract forbidden souls. Outside of that, not much detail regarding their origins were known about them. What we do know is that they were responsible for the near-extinction of the Alicorns.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Their hunting of Alicorns for their magic indirectly resulted in Discord being the individual he was today, the Architect of Equestria going on a self-imposed exile in the Astral Plane and the Alicorns being an endangered species.
- Mana Drain: They hunted the Alicorns for their magic. One of the reasons is that only Alicorn level of magic is strong enough to hatch their eggs.
- Retgone: The Architect of Equestria erased their entire history to prevent the possibility of the dragons that would hatch from the eggs she saved repeating the same mistake their ancestors made. It failed with Spike when he got reincarnated.
- Superpower Lottery: Having the strength and endurance of dragons combined with the power and magic of demons with a dash of Anti-Magic allowed them to hunt the Alicorns for their magic with the ease of taking a drink until they are an endangered species.